PDA

View Full Version : Trajan to retire

nmduke2001
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/86135/180/cska-icon-langdon-announces-retirement

I thought that this needed its own thread. Congratulations Trajan.

I remember shooting late one night with Trajan at the east campus gym my freshman year. I basically rebounded for him as he made shot after shot. I'd make a few and he would rebound for me. Once I missed, it would be like 10 minutes before I shot again because he just didn't miss. Very frustrating but cool experience.

monkey
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/86135/180/cska-icon-langdon-announces-retirement

I thought that this needed its own thread. Congratulations Trajan.

Seconded. One of my favorite players while I was at Duke. Sorry he never made a bigger impact on the NBA. The Alaskan Assassin - a class act.

And, of course, since we were freshman at the same time ... guess this means I'm getting old too.

burnspbesq
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Trajan put up some pretty mind-boggling numbers in his six seasons with CSKA Moscow.

http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=9836&lang=en

darjum
06-20-2011, 03:33 AM
A wonderful college and pro career in Europe. His time in the NBA was limited, but had he come along a few years later he would have been a wonderful teammate for LeBron, oh well, such is life.

I watched him in Euro Final 4's and he was great, everything expected out of his wonderful college career.

One door closes and another opens for Jon, funny how it turns out.

davekay1971
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Congratulations to Trajan Langdon! He's one of my favorite Duke players and has always been a great representative of our university. One of the nicest parts of the quoted paragraph on the front page article was the description of Trajan as being a true gentleman. We seem to hear that alot about our alumni who go on to careers in professional basketball!

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
I always loved how Trajan seemed to embrace his opportunity in Europe. Many players who are not successfull in the NBA take it as a way to keep playing, but never seem to do more than simply play for the paycheck. Trajan obviously made the most of his talents, and as others say, was (and is) a great ambassador for the school. Congrats to him on a successfull carreer!

moonpie23
06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
anyone know what kind of salary the assassin was knocking down? just curious...

hq2
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Trajan's game was exactly suited for the European game. He didn't quite have the lateral quickness to guard NBA players, but with slower players and a shorter 3 point line, he was a perfect fit over there. Glad he had a great career. (Note that growing up in Alaska, he was well prepared for those Russian winters!)

elvis14
06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Trajan put up some pretty mind-boggling numbers in his six seasons with CSKA Moscow.

http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=9836&lang=en

A quote from that link: reliable and proven fighter but intelligent, responsive person, the role model on and off the court

This is why I became and continue to be a huge Duke basketball fan even though I didn't go to school in Durham. You see so many Duke players described this way. Like many, I loved watching Trajan and I'm glad he did so well as a pro.

PADukeMom
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats Trajan. I always felt confident whenever the ball was in his hands. I refuse to count the last possession in the 1999 championship game....sigh that still kills me 12 years later. He will forever be my all time favorite DUKE player. It's a dead heat with Nolan.
Any room for an additional assistant coach on the staff?

DevilWearsPrada
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Congrats Trajan. I always felt confident whenever the ball was in his hands. I refuse to count the last possession in the 1999 championship game....sigh that still kills me 12 years later. He will forever be my all time favorite DUKE player. It's a dead heat with Nolan.
Any room for an additional assistant coach on the staff?

Great comments PA! I still think about the Championship game of '99 also. Trajan was one of my Father's favorite Duke basketball players. Nice to always hear positive stories about our alumni. Does Trajan have any aspirations for Coaching? He had a good career playing Basketball, doing what he loves to do. Best of luck on his next career as he transitions into his next phase.

sagegrouse
06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I will be interested in seeing where Trajan goes in the future. His teammates at Duke thought he was one of the smartest people they had ever met. IIRC (there is always a first time) he majored in mathematics. He was a three-time All-ACC Academic selectee.

Of course, with Trajan, there is the question of WHERE he lives (Europe or US) as well as WHAT he chooses to pursue. I think he has a lot of choices.

All the best to one of the best --

sagegrouse

camion
06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
This just can't be. I'm way too young for Trajan to be retiring. :eek:

lotusland
06-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I will be interested in seeing where Trajan goes in the future. His teammates at Duke thought he was one of the smartest people they had ever met. IIRC (there is always a first time) he majored in mathematics. He was a three-time All-ACC Academic selectee.

Of course, with Trajan, there is the question of WHERE he lives (Europe or US) as well as WHAT he chooses to pursue. I think he has a lot of choices.

All the best to one of the best --

sagegrouse

He could move back to Alaska. I here you can see Russia from there.

lotusland
06-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I looked for a YouTube video of Duke hilghlights when I read the news but surprisingly there isn't one. I saw a video posted of the Championship game with UConn but I couldn't watch that. If that shot had fallen and Duke managed to win his Jersey might be hanging from the rafters in Cameron.

sporthenry
06-20-2011, 11:42 PM
I have to think he was making some pretty good money over there considering what Josh Childress got. Just imagine what the Finals MVP would get

And I'm sure he enjoyed it over there and obviously had more success but I just wonder what could have been over here had he attempted a come back. He was a smart man so I trust he knew what he was doing but I see no reason why he couldn't have dug out a niche much like JJ has. Perhaps the game is different now and I forgot the situation he was drafted in but perhaps it was something like G in Charlotte where it wasn't conducive to survive and he was expected to do way too much but the dude could shoot and just I just think he could have easily been on a team like the Bulls in desperate need of a SG or even the Heat with a bunch of shooters.

Biscuit King
06-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I always admired Trajan's work ethic and humility.

He persevered through a number of injuries and setbacks that might have ended a weaker player's career. I saw him working out alone, in the gym or the weight room, numerous times... and you never really heard about all that extra work, because he was such a quiet, unassuming guy. Even on the 1999 team, which was full of egos and flash, his understated, classy approach still earned the respect of all his teammates.

sagegrouse
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I have to think he was making some pretty good money over there considering what Josh Childress got. Just imagine what the Finals MVP would get

And I'm sure he enjoyed it over there and obviously had more success but I just wonder what could have been over here had he attempted a come back. He was a smart man so I trust he knew what he was doing but I see no reason why he couldn't have dug out a niche much like JJ has. Perhaps the game is different now and I forgot the situation he was drafted in but perhaps it was something like G in Charlotte where it wasn't conducive to survive and he was expected to do way too much but the dude could shoot and just I just think he could have easily been on a team like the Bulls in desperate need of a SG or even the Heat with a bunch of shooters.

I seem to remember that when he left the Cavs for Europe he got really good money from the git-go. I believe his option was for a minimum contract in the NBA. It worked out for Trajan, in that he has played as a well-paid pro for 12 years, far longer than his NBA career would have been. Plus he got a bunch of trophies and rings.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I seem to remember that when he left the Cavs for Europe he got really good money from the git-go. I believe his option was for a minimum contract in the NBA. It worked out for Trajan, in that he has played as a well-paid pro for 12 years, far longer than his NBA career would have been. Plus he got a bunch of trophies and rings.

sagegrouse
And don't forget he got $ from baseball.

Edit...I think he did. I know he was drafted by the Padres..I was thinking he did not play at Duke under a basketball scholarship because of that.