PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky forced to vacate...

shoutingncu
06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
...their celebration (http://eye-on-collegebasketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30003626)?

Guess it was only a matter of time. :p

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Perhaps they can look into Carolina's faux championship banner next?

JasonEvans
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I am kinda glad the NCAA is making a bit of a stink out of this. After all, the NCAA considers removing wins from the record as a suitable form of punishment. Even if the rest of us laugh at that notion, this is the NCAA telling a school it cannot ignore the "vacated wins" punishment.

Nothing will come of this -- Kentucky will issue a pre-approved statement saying that it erred in promoting Calipari's win total. Big whup. Still, at least the NCAA is saying, "I'm not going to be ignored! (http://movieclips.com/ZCPT-fatal-attraction-movie-not-going-to-be-ignored/)"

-Jason "note-- above link contains some salty language" Evans

BD80
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
I am kinda glad the NCAA is making a bit of a stink out of this. After all, the NCAA considers removing wins from the record as a suitable form of punishment. Even if the rest of us laugh at that notion, this is the NCAA telling a school it cannot ignore the "vacated wins" punishment.

Nothing will come of this -- Kentucky will issue a pre-approved statement saying that it erred in promoting Calipari's win total. Big whup. Still, at least the NCAA is saying, "I'm not going to be ignored! (http://movieclips.com/ZCPT-fatal-attraction-movie-not-going-to-be-ignored/)"

-Jason "note-- above link contains some salty language" Evans

Ummm. Wasn't Pitino the one with the crazy b*tch going to have his baby? I get the two so confused.

I think there may be more to this than just huffing and puffing. I think this is a very direct warning to UK that they are dealing with a recidivist, and that UK has a very real duty to police what is going in his program. Else, there will be serious consequences, legal consequences.

hurleyfor3
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I think I understand Kentucky's frame of reference here.

Kentucky, Kansas and unc have been endlessly engaged in a back-and-forth battle for most all-time wins in basketball. The only people who care about this are the three schools and their supporters, but these factions tend to really, really care a lot. From time to time one of the schools "discovers" victories from 1907 over ymca squads and the like. (Personally I don't know who's ahead by how much, and don't care to find out. Duke is fourth all-time. I do know there's a big gap between #3 and Duke, and between us and #5. Ucla got a late start, so is lower than you'd otherwise assume.)

If Kentucky doesn't stand firm on acknowledging Cal's wins now, they may have to rescind dozens of wins the next time they have to vacate entire seasons. And they care about this more than, oh, Michigan would with Steve Fisher, because that would -- horrors! -- drop them hopelessly behind.

Not saying I agree with this line of thinking, but I do believe it's more than just a school standing by its coach.

jafarr1
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Considering this is just about the only form of punishment Calipari has been forced to endure for the two black eyes he's given the NCAA, I can see why the NCAA would stand firm.

-bdbd
06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I think I understand Kentucky's frame of reference here.

Kentucky, Kansas and unc have been endlessly engaged in a back-and-forth battle for most all-time wins in basketball. The only people who care about this are the three schools and their supporters, but these factions tend to really, really care a lot. From time to time one of the schools "discovers" victories from 1907 over ymca squads and the like. (Personally I don't know who's ahead by how much, and don't care to find out. Duke is fourth all-time. I do know there's a big gap between #3 and Duke, and between us and #5. Ucla got a late start, so is lower than you'd otherwise assume.)

If Kentucky doesn't stand firm on acknowledging Cal's wins now, they may have to rescind dozens of wins the next time they have to vacate entire seasons. And they care about this more than, oh, Michigan would with Steve Fisher, because that would -- horrors! -- drop them hopelessly behind.

Not saying I agree with this line of thinking, but I do believe it's more than just a school standing by its coach.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/ncaa-upset-with-kentucky-over-celebration-of-john-caliparis-500th-win/1

Here's another article on the same issue. Tee-hee, tee-hee. Gotta love watching the Calimari partisans squirm. (Read the fan comments after either of these linked articles. Amazing re the utter state of denial the UK fans are in...) You choose to dance with the devil, you're gonna get burned...

I do agree with Hurley that the all-time-wins stats are probably a big part of their worry. What happens in five years when the NCAA finds some recruiting or academic violations around John Wall, et al, and they vacate 30 UK wins. THEN they will really howl!!

Very entertaining. :D ;) :rolleyes: :p

P.S. I agree with the NCAA making a stink about it. W/o other significant enforcement powers, they can't afford to allow schools like UK to just IGNORE/FLAUNT their rulings like that. Oh wait, UK just announced they'll be cellebrating Calipari's 1,000th win next March.... HAHAHAHA!

weezie
06-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Tee-hee, tee-hee. Gotta love watching the Calimari partisans squirm. (Read the fan comments after either of these linked articles. Amazing re the utter state of denial the UK fans are in...)

Very entertaining. :D ;) :rolleyes: :p

It's a tempest in a chamber pot, that's for sure.