PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to put in the work to improve this summer?

gwlaw99
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Will Mason and/or Miles develop a reliable post move?
Will Andre work on his handle?
Will Ryan put on even more muscle?

Ryan seems to have put the most work last summer. Who will it be this year?

The Gordog
06-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Will Mason and/or Miles develop a reliable post move?
Will Andre work on his handle?
Will Ryan put on even more muscle?

Ryan seems to have put the most work last summer. Who will it be this year?

I recall hearing that Andre was attending a point guard skills academy this summer, so his definately working on his handle. As always, I have high hopes for all of our guys and fully expect them to challenge for the highest achievements.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I am going to work hard to work on the crispness of my posting and on driving the response. I have been doing quick-type exercises every morning.

I'm tired of losing minutes to The Gordog.

But I think everyone knows that time on the court will be earned, and that there are some new faces to push for time behind them. I expect that everyone is pretty darn motivated to work on the tasks the coaching staff set for them over the summer.

MChambers
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
I recall hearing that Andre was attending a point guard skills academy this summer, so his definately working on his handle. As always, I have high hopes for all of our guys and fully expect them to challenge for the highest achievements.

I read very recently that both Curry and Dawkins were planning to attend Chris Paul's point guard camp.

airowe
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Curry and Dawkins are in Winston this weekend actually for that camp.

Sounds like Mason and Seth have been having the best off-season so far.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I am going to work hard to work on the crispness of my posting and on driving the response. I have been doing quick-type exercises every morning.

But I think everyone knows that time on the court will be earned, and that there are some new faces to push for time behind them. I expect that everyone is pretty darn motivated to work on the tasks the coaching staff set for them over the summer.
This past year I moved up into the #3 position of most prolific posters (this being #5412) despite two Siberian holidays this year. I trail #2 Devildeac by over 1800 career posts and #1 post-o-matic Jason Evans by almost 2000 posts, so even with extra conditioning I doubt catching them is feasible , unless they cramp up or something ;).

On the court, I look for across the board improvement from everyone. Huge leaps forward in execution and consistency. When you have such great examples of success being set by players such as Nolan Smith, younger players say "next summer I'm doing that, I'm putting in that work, that time, that effort." So Seth and Andre - yes. Miles, Mason and Ryan - yes. Tyler - yes.

sagegrouse
06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Nope. Stupid auto-correct. Drug = Seth. Don't ask me how...

I am doing physical therapy every day to get my left wing back in shape -- this following surgery six weeks ago. It is pretty useless right now. Maybe sometime in August.

sagegrouse

darjum
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I read very recently that both Curry and Dawkins were planning to attend Chris Paul's point guard camp.

In terms of hoped improvements for Duke's upperclassmen, both men have picked the perfect camp to attend.

If Seth can turn into Scheyer version 2 in regards to not turning the ball over and Andre can take the ball with confidence to the rim off the bounce, then it will go a long way to Duke being hard to stop offensively.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Like ole Sagegrouse, I've been in PT, working on a knee and a shoulder for the past three months. I'm now working on my three point posting, passing and assists. I'm considering unveiling a new uniform before the Richmond game on Sept. 3..... pending the coaches' approval. (Unveiling before the football season is part of my cross training.) ;)

OldPhiKap
06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Like ole Sagegrouse, I've been in PT, working on a knee and a shoulder for the past three months. I'm now working on my three point posting, passing and assists. I'm considering unveiling a new uniform before the Richmond game on Sept. 3..... pending the coaches' approval. (Unveiling before the football season is part of my cross training.) ;)

I was gonna say, DiBD, I more expected you to be working on your pass routes and flea flickers.

Hope you're kidding about PT, but if not I hope it's going well. I'll be in touch before the Stanford game -- gonna shock the world this year. . . .

-- OPK

weezie
06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Like ole Sagegrouse, I've been in PT, working on a knee and a shoulder for the past three months.

I hear ya' sister. Ol'weezie has an appt w/the orthopod man next week. Too many lateral blocks for this gal over the years.
Also hoping to find a second set of go-to sneakers to back up the sequined Converse.

I trust the on-court team will take care of business in fine form.

MCFinARL
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Curry and Dawkins are in Winston this weekend actually for that camp.

Sounds like Mason and Seth have been having the best off-season so far.

Can you tell us more? Best in what way? How much work they are doing, how they look in scrimmages, something else?

Billy Dat
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
ESPN.com insider has an articles up listing the 10 best frontcourts heading into 2011/12. Needless to say, Mason, Miles, Ryan and Josh don't make the cut. Them's fightin words, boys, get mad, get better, and show 'em!

darjum
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
ESPN.com insider has an articles up listing the 10 best frontcourts heading into 2011/12. Needless to say, Mason, Miles, Ryan and Josh don't make the cut. Them's fightin words, boys, get mad, get better, and show 'em!

I read that one too, needless to say who was #1. Here's a fairly uncomplicated formula:

1 Sr + 2 Jr's + 1 So=experience in Duke's power positions=W's for Duke

I feel very good about Duke's front court heading into next year.

ThePublisher
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I see our bigs really surprising a lot of people. I think mason take it to the next level, miles gets better on D and rebounding, ryan gets even more bulk and hones in his shot. Josh should ad some good depth as well.

I see Curry, Dawkins and Mason being the most improved. I think mason is going to blow up. Dawkins is just due his time and Curry will probably play all year like he showed flashes of last year.

I read one article saying we were a 'top 15' team, more like top 5, especially by years end.

Spencer's Daddy
06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I hear that Nick Horvath has really bulked up and has made great strides in improving his three-point shot!

watzone
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I think this article addresses the question in this thread - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/05/blue-devils-go-camping-in-effort-to-improve/

OldPhiKap
06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I hear that Nick Horvath has really bulked up and has made great strides in improving his three-point shot!

Olek is due for a break-out as well.

I wonder if Marty Nessley still has eligibility. Because, as we all know, Marty doesn't foul.

gumbomoop
06-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I think this article addresses the question in this thread - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/05/blue-devils-go-camping-in-effort-to-improve/

Yes, thanks again for this update/summary, which does - at one important level - address the OP's question.

Yet I infer - or maybe it's "intuit" - that, as 24/7/365 fanatics, many posters are thinking about more than almost anyone could confidently address when referring to "Who's gonna do the work to improve?" What we really - and I do mean really - yearn to know is, "Who will be fiercely, relentlessly, single-mindedly committed to becoming a much better player in 2011-12?"

Here's an example, apropos the attendance by Seth, Andre, and ... Harrison Barnes at the Chris Paul camp. It's good news that Seth and Andre will be there. They can both become fine, fine players if Seth picks up some more PG skills, if Andre works [relentlessly] on his handle, on getting his own shot, on getting to the basket, etc.

Now, say what you will about the silliness of all that Black Falcon crap, but would anyone here deny that HB seems to be fiercely determined to be a superior player? Anyone doubt his single-mindedness in pursuit of NBA-excellence? I think it speaks very well of HB that he chose [or followed someone's wise recommendation??] to attend a camp for guards, most of whom possess neither HB's physical maturity nor multiple skills. So, for all the very good news re Seth and Andre, it's not such good news, for those of us who wish UNC to fall short, that HB might, just might, improve noticeably his most noticeable weakness: his handle.

So, I'm guessing what we want to hear, in this interminable off-season, is "updates" [and here rumors will be perfectly acceptable, as we want good news, even if sketchy] to the effect that, say, "You won't believe how confident both Miles and Mason have become, and this against some damn good competition." Or, say, "Jeez, everyone at Camp X is just gushing over how much quicker Andre looks this summer. It's eye-opening, and Duke's opponents are in for a big, unpleasant surprise." Or, maybe, "Michael Gbinije is on campus, and is an absolute revelation. How did this guy not get more attention from the recruiting gurus."

That sort of thing.

watzone
06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I spoke with Natalie Hairston recently who stated she was proud of how hard Josh had been working in the off season. I also know firsthand that Ryan Kelly has been working on being a better rebounder. In 16 or so days, Duke fans can see the players for themselves at the NC Pro Am.

mikegismynewhero
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
mr. watson in your article you said "The incoming freshman can make the trip in that they will be in summer school with some arriving on campus late this month and all by June. And this is good for a team with a mix of four freshman and a handful of vets for they need seasoning while Coach Krzyzewski seeks chemistry for the coming year." Now I'm not sure if you're counting "sub-zero" as a freshman or not but if you are then we have a problem.. with quinn cook marshall plumlee alex murphy michael gbinije and austin rivers we have five freshman... I'm not entirely sure who you're leaving out. thanks! :o otherwise a great article

OldPhiKap
06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
mr. watson in your article you said "The incoming freshman can make the trip in that they will be in summer school with some arriving on campus late this month and all by June. And this is good for a team with a mix of four freshman and a handful of vets for they need seasoning while Coach Krzyzewski seeks chemistry for the coming year." Now I'm not sure if you're counting "sub-zero" as a freshman or not but if you are then we have a problem.. with quinn cook marshall plumlee alex murphy michael gbinije and austin rivers we have five freshman... I'm not entirely sure who you're leaving out. thanks! :o otherwise a great article

Maybe Murphy redshirts?

mikegismynewhero
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
that'd be news to me

MCFinARL
06-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes, thanks again for this update/summary, which does - at one important level - address the OP's question.

Yet I infer - or maybe it's "intuit" - that, as 24/7/365 fanatics, many posters are thinking about more than almost anyone could confidently address when referring to "Who's gonna do the work to improve?" What we really - and I do mean really - yearn to know is, "Who will be fiercely, relentlessly, single-mindedly committed to becoming a much better player in 2011-12?"

Here's an example, apropos the attendance by Seth, Andre, and ... Harrison Barnes at the Chris Paul camp. It's good news that Seth and Andre will be there. They can both become fine, fine players if Seth picks up some more PG skills, if Andre works [relentlessly] on his handle, on getting his own shot, on getting to the basket, etc.

Now, say what you will about the silliness of all that Black Falcon crap, but would anyone here deny that HB seems to be fiercely determined to be a superior player? Anyone doubt his single-mindedness in pursuit of NBA-excellence? I think it speaks very well of HB that he chose [or followed someone's wise recommendation??] to attend a camp for guards, most of whom possess neither HB's physical maturity nor multiple skills. So, for all the very good news re Seth and Andre, it's not such good news, for those of us who wish UNC to fall short, that HB might, just might, improve noticeably his most noticeable weakness: his handle.

So, I'm guessing what we want to hear, in this interminable off-season, is "updates" [and here rumors will be perfectly acceptable, as we want good news, even if sketchy] to the effect that, say, "You won't believe how confident both Miles and Mason have become, and this against some damn good competition." Or, say, "Jeez, everyone at Camp X is just gushing over how much quicker Andre looks this summer. It's eye-opening, and Duke's opponents are in for a big, unpleasant surprise." Or, maybe, "Michael Gbinije is on campus, and is an absolute revelation. How did this guy not get more attention from the recruiting gurus."

That sort of thing.

Another non-guard who went to CP3 camp last year, if I recall correctly--Kyle Singler. Not sure what that comparison means in terms of your HB observation other than that it is certainly a case where a relentless drive to develop his game led a non-guard to the camp.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Maybe Murphy redshirts?
I'm speaking with no firsthand (new) knowledge, but I think Watzone just miscounted/mistyped and meant five freshman. The plan is/has been for all the frosh and team members, even if someone eventually redshirts, to go to China and Dubai. And BTW, the four senior cheerleaders are getting to go to China too! They will not stay for the Dubai leg because they have other duties back on campus that they have to be back for, but I can tell you they are very excited about getting to go! The Blue Devil will not be with them :mad:

-bdbd
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Coach K apparently putting the motivational mo-jo hex on Austin:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/295815-krzyzewski-on-rivers-hes-got-to-change?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a10

"He (Austin) has got to change..." Talking about his D, prep and work-out routine, etc. K is the master of this stuff. :D

"He's got to learn to become a complete player. For any freshman coming in, there's a huge difference in playing with older guys, more physical. It's a whole different thing."

ThePublisher
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
After going to the Pro-Am and seeing some guys in person. I'm going to go with Dawkins as most improved. He has added the bulk necessary to man up some of the bigger guys in the 3 slot. This should also give him the confidence to take it to the rim. This will open up his new, improved quicker release.

gwlaw99
07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
After going to the Pro-Am and seeing some guys in person. I'm going to go with Dawkins as most improved. He has added the bulk necessary to man up some of the bigger guys in the 3 slot. This should also give him the confidence to take it to the rim. This will open up his new, improved quicker release.

Has his handle/ability to get to the rim improved?

CDu
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't think strength was the problem with him getting to the rim. I think lack of ballhandling (or at the very least a lack of confidence in his ballhandling) was the reason for that. Hopefully, he has greatly improved in those areas as well as his court awareness and off-the-ball game. If he does, there's no reason (with his shooting touch and size) that he couldn't be a breakout player.

It's a big year for Dawkins. He's shown occasional flashes of brilliance both years (especially in November/December) but hasn't been able to put it together. Hopefully this is the year he makes the jump.

Devilsfan
07-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Hope he learns how to move without the ball. He stood around and seemed to be watching or waiting for someone to pass him the ball too much last year imo.

elvis14
07-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Hope he learns how to move without the ball. He stood around and seemed to be watching or waiting for someone to pass him the ball too much last year imo.

Although I noticed this as well, I assumed that he was doing as he was told and was filling the role of a spot up shooter being used to spread things out. I think that if he was supposed to be moving more without the ball he would have either been doing that or seeing more time on the bench.

gwlaw99
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Although I noticed this as well, I assumed that he was doing as he was told and was filling the role of a spot up shooter being used to spread things out. I think that if he was supposed to be moving more without the ball he would have either been doing that or seeing more time on the bench.

Good point. It annoyed me too, but Coack K wouldn't let him do that if it wasn't his role.

Son of Jarhead
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Good point. It annoyed me too, but Coack K wouldn't let him do that if it wasn't his role.

Well said, elvis14 & gwlaw99. The offense last year was set up for those three NBA draft choices we had, who rightly were options ahead of Andre. After KI got hurt, that third scoring option was open. However, that 3rd option seemed to be a hot potato being tossed around between Andre, Seth, Mason, & Ryan, none of whom found the consistancy needed to hold on to it. That actually worked out pretty well as our opponents never knew who was going to step up beyond Nolan & Kyle on any given night. Without them this year, Andre (& others, too) will have his chance to shine. I have a strong feeling that he'll have a great year. All day 'Dre ... 'Dre all day!:cool:

ThePublisher
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Another guy that is completely off the radar for being vastly improved is Miles. I've yet to see him play but hope to tomorrow night. I can see him having a zoubekesque jump his senior year. He has all the parts he is just yet to put it together. With the highest jump on the team and the most muscle he should be able to excel in the post.

I will pay more attention to Dawkins handle tomorrow. I didn't notice it being bad, but I also didn't see him bring the ball up the court.

pfrduke
07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
I will pay more attention to Dawkins handle tomorrow. I didn't notice it being bad, but I also didn't see him bring the ball up the court.

Whether he brings the ball up court isn't necessarily relevant. The question is whether he's improved his control over the ball when he tries to create offense for himself in the half court. This is an area where his handle has been inconsistent, and where (to my eyes) it's caused him to attack with the ball with less confidence than a more capable ballhandler would.

Newton_14
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Whether he brings the ball up court isn't necessarily relevant. The question is whether he's improved his control over the ball when he tries to create offense for himself in the half court. This is an area where his handle has been inconsistent, and where (to my eyes) it's caused him to attack with the ball with less confidence than a more capable ballhandler would.

I agree with you with one exception. In cases where Andre grabs a long defensive rebound, he should have the confidence and ability to put it on the floor and streak to the basket, either finishing himself or dumping to a breaking teammate. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense and forces them to react faster. Andre has always seemed tentative in that scenario, taking one or two dribbles while looking to give it up to a ball handling guard. I want him to feel comfortable taking it himself.

I agree with you that he also needs to improve driving from the wing in half court sets. If he can do those two things, he can become a lethal weapon on offense. That jumper is pure.

Indoor66
07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
I agree with you with one exception. In cases where Andre grabs a long defensive rebound, he should have the confidence and ability to put it on the floor and streak to the basket, either finishing himself or dumping to a breaking teammate. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense and forces them to react faster. Andre has always seemed tentative in that scenario, taking one or two dribbles while looking to give it up to a ball handling guard. I want him to feel comfortable taking it himself.

I agree with you that he also needs to improve driving from the wing in half court sets. If he can do those two things, he can become a lethal weapon on offense. That jumper is pure.

Don't these issues you address also go to making good decisions?