PDA

View Full Version : US Open Golf

OZZIE4DUKE
06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Tiger just tweeted. He's out. Guess his injuries are a bit more serious than we thought. Both below the waist and between the ears ...

Doug.I.Am
06-09-2011, 10:27 AM
He's a mess right now, you're right. I have serious doubts he'll come close to what he was before. You don't lose the ability to play the game this quickly, but you can lose the desire and as much as he says he's still driven to be the best ever, I question it.

Sure, you can say he's had physical ailments to limit him. But here's a guy who won the US Open on one leg. Something else is missing. Maybe full time daddy is taking it's toll.

rthomas
06-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Stevie Williams is going to caddy for Adam Scott for the Open. Wow. What the...?

BD80
06-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Stevie Williams is going to caddy for Adam Scott for the Open. Wow. What the...?

Caddies get a % of the winnings. Would you rather he not work a major?

rthomas
06-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Just that Tiger usually does not share.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Caddies gotta eat too! :cool:

JasonEvans
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Just that Tiger usually does not share.

I thought Tiger had Steve Williams on a fixed salary, not a share of winnings. Presumably, Williams should have continued to get that salary regardless of whether Tiger was playing or winning.

Of course, the most likely answer is that with Tiger's injuries, Steve was getting bored with just sitting around and waiting for Tiger to get better so he asked for and was given permission to carry the bag for someone else.

I am sure that once Tiger gets back to playing, Steve will be on the bag.

-Jason "in terms of controversy, nothing to see here" Evans

DevilWearsPrada
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Caddies gotta eat too! :cool:

Ozzie!!! ROFL! Caddies should get a % of the winnings! They have to carry those heavy Golf bags! And keep the golfer's score card! Spread the Earnings!!

rsvman
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
What's missing in this discussion is whether having Stevie on the bag will have a positive effect on Adam Scott. I suspect it will. I think he needs a lot more direction than his old caddie was giving him.

rthomas
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
So there are a lot of lovers of little white balls on this site. Who are you pulling for?

I'm pulling for Rory. I'd like to see redemption from Augusta's melt down.

Doug.I.Am
06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
So there are a lot of lovers of little white balls on this site. Who are you pulling for?

I'd like to see Bubba win but he's too erratic off the tee. I'm going with K.J. Choi to win it this year.

riverside6
06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Speaking of Bubba, if you guys haven't seen the "Golf Boys" video featuring Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Hunter Mahan, and Ben Crane, then watch it now...very funny stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

sagegrouse
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM

"They" say Augusta is for the long hitters (Jack and Tiger), the British Open for those who play well in the wind, and the US Open for great iron players (Payne Stewart).

By that standard, I would give the edge to Luke Donald, who is also the #1 player in the world.

By the standard of who is mentally prepared, I would tap Dustin Johnson. DJ, despite blowing up as the leader in the last round at Pebble in 2010, came back to almost win the PGA, losing because of the "hazard" call on his approach to 18 with a one-shot lead.

sagegrouse
'And Steve Stricker is always a threat with his putting'

JasonEvans
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Speaking of Bubba, if you guys haven't seen the "Golf Boys" video featuring Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Hunter Mahan, and Ben Crane, then watch it now...very funny stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

Oh
my
god!!!

That almost makes Rebecca Black's Friday look good!

It is truly awesome in its badness. A must see!

--Jason "good to see athletes with a good sense of humor" Evans

Turk
06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm gonna root for this guy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6663863

I think the tour needs more guys like him...

OZZIE4DUKE
06-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm gonna root for this guy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6663863

I think the tour needs more guys like him...
I hope Andres plays well enough to make the cut, earn a check and get some air time! Maybe Tiger will even hear about him! Cool story! He tees off at 12:40 on Thursday in the first round.
Here's a link to the leaderboard
http://www.majorschampionships.com/usopen/2011/scoring/index.cfm

My pick to win is Rory McIlroy.

JasonEvans
06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm picking Bubba Watson... because he's got the best chance of the 4 guys in that hysterical Youtube video linked earlier in the thread.

-Jason

Doug.I.Am
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I clearly have no business picking US Open champions. K.J. Choi is now at +6 and 2 spots from last. Egads...

BD80
06-16-2011, 04:26 PM
156 golfers and TWO named Bubba?

Two Ryans; two Justins. Fine.

Two Bubbas? Is Jeff Foxworthy an announcer?

rthomas
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Well...Rory shot 65, Adam Scott shot 74. I'm thinking Tiger's caddy didn't help.

sagegrouse
06-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, we had various votes (actually support, not necessarily choices) for --

Rory McIlroy -6
Luke Donald +3
Dustin Johnson +4
KJ Choi +6
Bubba Watson E
Andres Gonzalez +8

I think only Rory and his backer, RThomas, are on the right track. The rest of us are gonna be disappointed.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
My pick to win is Rory McIlroy.

Well, we had various votes (actually support, not necessarily choices) for --

Rory McIlroy -6
Luke Donald +3
Dustin Johnson +4
KJ Choi +6
Bubba Watson E
Andres Gonzalez +8
I think only Rory and his backer, RThomas, are on the right track. The rest of us are gonna be disappointed.

sagegrouse
Excuse me? RThomas does not stand alone in his pick! :cool::D

devildeac
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Is this golf or Nascar?

156 golfers and TWO named Bubba?

Two Ryans; two Justins. Fine.

Two Bubbas? Is Jeff Foxworthy an announcer?

If there is a crash and caution flag on the back nine, I think your question will be answered:rolleyes:.

Doug.I.Am
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
From the owner of Team K.J. Choi: I am not giving up, I'll go down with this old, sinking vessel, nothing's over till I say it's over... K.J. is going to shock the world today. :rolleyes:

DevilWearsPrada
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Is this golf or Nascar?

If there is a crash and caution flag on the back nine, I think your question will be answered:rolleyes:.

ROFL.... DD, you are too funny! The thread is titled US Open Golf! But you certainly make valid points! Bubbas, Crash, Caution Flags!! Sounds like Nascar, doesn't it? :)

sagegrouse
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Results through the second round. FWIW, +4 qualifies for weekend, including Blue Devil Kevin Streelman, who finished on the number.

Rory McIlroy -11
Luke Donald +4
Dustin Johnson +4
KJ Choi +6
Bubba Watson +5 (thru 17)
Andres Gonzalez +7

Rory is setting all kinds of records. Andres, the twitter phenom, had a great round of 70, but it was too big a hole to dig out of. Bubba Watson fell apart and looks like he's misses the cut.

Congrats to Ozzie and RThomas, who figured out that Rory would be roarin' this week. The rest of us don't know golf balls from gopher balls.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Results through the second round. FWIW, +4 qualifies for weekend, including Blue Devil Kevin Streelman, who finished on the number.

Rory McIlroy -11
Luke Donald +4
Dustin Johnson +4
KJ Choi +6
Bubba Watson +5 (thru 17)
Andres Gonzalez +7
Rory is setting all kinds of records. Andres, the twitter phenom, had a great round of 70, but it was too big a hole to dig out of. Bubba Watson fell apart and looks like he's misses the cut.

Congrats to Ozzie and RThomas, who figured out that Rory would be roarin' this week. The rest of us don't know golf balls from gopher balls.

sagegrouse
Thanks. I'm thinking that Rory has learned enough from his Masters melt down to not repeat that fiasco again. Of course, there are 36 holes of golf yet to play, and this is the US Open. So anything can happen.

Indoor66
06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking that Rory has learned enough from his Masters melt down to not repeat that fiasco again. Of course, there are 36 holes of golf yet to play, and this is the US Open. So anything can happen.

Rory is a phenomenal talent. He is, what, 22 years old? If he can master his emotions he has an unbelievable future. The golf game is there.

sagegrouse
06-17-2011, 09:08 PM

sagegrouse

Bubba birdied the impossible #18 to get to +4 and make the cut. Before then, he was five over on the back. "Impossible #18?" Well, Rory made double bogey today on it.

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
06-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm not a big golf fan, so I wonder if anybody else thinks it's strange that the Open leader is named Rory McIlroy?

Does anybody the character that Kevin Costner played in Tin Cup? Remember his character's name?

Roy McAlvoy.

That's spookily close. Tin Cup was in 1996, when Rory McIlroy was like seven years old.

Hmmm, I see that McIlroy finished the second round with a double bogey on 18. Now, if he takes a 12 on 18 on the last day ...

sagegrouse
06-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Results through the third round. Ozzie and RThomas, who picked Rory, continue to rub everyone's else's nose in the mud. Let's see.... 16 strokes between Rory and the next guy favored on this thread.

Rory McIlroy -14
Luke Donald +7
Dustin Johnson +2
KJ Choi MC
Bubba Watson +7
Andres Gonzalez MC

Interesting, the commentators all seem to be pulling for Rory because the consequences of a loss would be so devastating, following on the heels of the Masters meltdown.

sagegrouse
'Kevin Streelman made a double bogey and bogey in the first four holes but played even par the rest of the way, finishing at +7'

BD80
06-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not a big golf fan, so I wonder if anybody else thinks it's strange that the Open leader is named Rory McIlroy?

Does anybody the character that Kevin Costner played in Tin Cup? Remember his character's name?

Roy McAlvoy.

That's spookily close. Tin Cup was in 1996, when Rory McIlroy was like seven years old.

Hmmm, I see that McIlroy finished the second round with a double bogey on 18. Now, if he takes a 12 on 18 on the last day ...

Is there an ex-assistant greenskeeper named Carl in the field?

rthomas
06-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Interesting, the commentators all seem to be pulling for Rory because the consequences of a loss would be so devastating, following on the heels of the Masters meltdown.

sagegrouse

I think that there is some sentimentality from the Maters meltdown from the commentators, but I also think there is a certain amount of the networks and the PGA needing to find a new star on the scale of Tiger, Phil, etc. And it is pretty clear from all of the hype, they think Rory is "IT".

brevity
06-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Roy McAlvoy.

Also not a big golf fan, but I didn't want to comment until the U.S. Open was over. It struck me as bad form to compare Rory McIlroy to the all-time greatest fictional loser of the U.S. Open. To put in baseball terms, it's like openly discussing a no-hitter in the 6th inning.

Kevin Costner played Roy McAvoy, which is admittedly pretty close. But there's actually another movie athlete (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445934/) in recent years with an even closer last name, "MacElroy."

Doug.I.Am
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
I knew it all along, Rory was the man. :D

I really think we're anointing this guy a little too soon. Sure, he's got a great swing, carefree attitude and seems to be a quality dude inside and outside the ropes. The only thing I would worry about is what's between the ears. Golf is such a mental game. If you watch golf on a regular basis, many times it's not who wins it, but who crashes and burns at the end. I need to see Rory close out some tourneys where it's close. He pretty much sailed the last 2 days. Great win, great champion. Now, let's see more.

BTW... Yes, I'm the guy who was rooting for Choi, da bum. Never again K.J., never EVER again.

sagegrouse
06-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I knew it all along, Rory was the man. :D

I really think we're anointing this guy a little too soon. Sure, he's got a great swing, carefree attitude and seems to be a quality dude inside and outside the ropes. The only thing I would worry about is what's between the ears. Golf is such a mental game. If you watch golf on a regular basis, many times it's not who wins it, but who crashes and burns at the end. I need to see Rory close out some tourneys where it's close. He pretty much sailed the last 2 days. Great win, great champion. Now, let's see more.

BTW... Yes, I'm the guy who was rooting for Choi, da bum. Never again K.J., never EVER again.

Final results: Ozzie's and RThomas's pick only beat the rest of us by 17 strokes.

Rory McIlroy -16
Luke Donald +5
Dustin Johnson +1
KJ Choi MC
Bubba Watson +9
Andres Gonzalez MC

Kevin Streelman was even par in the final round until the 18th hole. He proceed to make a "snowman." Yep, an 8, to finish at +11.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
06-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Final results: Ozzie's and RThomas's pick only beat the rest of us by 17 strokes.

Rory McIlroy -16
Luke Donald +5
Dustin Johnson +1
KJ Choi MC
Bubba Watson +9
Andres Gonzalez MC

Kevin Streelman was even par in the final round until the 18th hole. He proceed to make a "snowman." Yep, an 8, to finish at +11.

sagegrouse
Was Mike Corey involved in this picking contest? Did he offer "double or nothing" on his Angus Barn bet? LOL! I guess not... :cool:

riverside6
06-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Rory was outstanding, loved the way he played and the way the fans embraced his play. Made for a fun Sunday despite the lack of suspense.

Not a good weekend to be one of the "Golf Boys". Maybe they should have spent a little more time drinking Guiness and less making videos, worked for Rory.

DevilWearsPrada
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
It is great to see the young man Rory, go to the top of the PGA. Its refreshing to see new talent. Congrats to Rory on the US Open. He didn't flub this one! :cool: