PDA

View Full Version : Max McCaffrey

Johnboy
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Apparently, Max has a Duke connection on both sides of his family - his uncle Billy, of course, played hoops at Duke, but his grandfather (mother's side), Dave Sime, was a Duke Track, Baseball and Football athlete who was the fastest man alive in the late 1950s, holding the 100 meter world record. Dave Sime must be in any discussion of the greatest Blue Devil athletes ever.

Ed McCaffrey and Lisa Sime, Dave's daughter, met at Stanford. Here's a fun 13 year old SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014692/2/index.htm)about Ed that mentions all this.

I love this paragraph, which mentions the then 4-year-old Max by name:

If you're doing an interview with McCaffrey, speed kills. "Are you going to rip Ed for being slow again, or do you plan on writing the truth for a change?" his wife, Lisa, asks as she bounces through the kitchen of their house a few miles south of the Broncos' facility. While giving constant chase to their two sons—Max, 4, and Christian, 2—Lisa gets off the best lines of the interview. Noting that her father, sprinter David Sime, graced SI's cover in 1956, Lisa riffs, "That's why Ed and I got together—so we could breed fast white guys."

CDu
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Apparently, Max has a Duke connection on both sides of his family - his uncle Billy, of course, played hoops at Duke, but his grandfather (mother's side), Dave Sime, was a Duke Track, Baseball and Football athlete who was the fastest man alive in the late 1950s, holding the 100 meter world record. Dave Sime must be in any discussion of the greatest Blue Devil athletes ever.

Ed McCaffrey and Lisa Sime, Dave's daughter, met at Stanford. Here's a fun 13 year old SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014692/2/index.htm)about Ed that mentions all this.

I love this paragraph, which mentions the then 4-year-old Max by name:

I remember that article! Easy Ed could definitely play. I loved that quote from Ed's wife.

roywhite
06-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Good discussion of this on the Duke football recruiting thread (bottom of this page, or 1 page back)