PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Basketball Recruiting thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

jnastasi
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I know it's very early to be talking about this but the top freshman in the nation will be visiting Duke today...Theo Pinson...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/onthetrail

Ok, here is the table for the 2014 recruits. Info is for various Duke sources on Twitter, along with Rivals and ESPN. The current rankings shown are from Rivals. (I will change that to RSCI once available in June of 2013)

Position Name Measurements Stars "Overall Rank (247Sports.com)" Offer? Comments
PG Tyus Jones 6'1, 171lbs 5 5 Signed Excellent passer. Makes others better. Unique player
PF/C Jahlil Okafor 6'10, 280lbs 5 1 Signed Great around the rim, great hands and footwork
G Grayson Allen 6'4, 189 5 31 Signed Very Athletic/Lengthy kid with good jumper, and good handle
SF Justise Winslow 6'6, 210lbs 5 13 Signed Super athletic lefty small forward, highly skilled, good defender
C Myles Turner 6'10, 223 5 5 4 Yes Lengthy, Athletic, good shooter

Krzyzewskiville
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Starting early, can't hurt.

DevilWearsPrada
06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I know it's very early to be talking about this but the top freshman in the nation will be visiting Duke today...Theo Pinson...

WOW! Seeing 2014, and thinking that is along ways off. It is not! Recruitment starts so much earlier now, than a few years ago. AAU teams and social media (FB, Twitter) really push the recruitment process up. Have to reach out to these kids earlier!

Never to early to recruit! Thanks for the updates and DBR keeps us in the loop of all things, DUKE!!

PADukeMom
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Are we talking freshmen in high school???

BD80
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM

In a few days they'll be rising sophmores ...

Indoor66
06-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Yeah, doesn't it make you feel a little dirty?

JasonEvans
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Wasn't this around the time that Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke? Right between his freshman and soph seasons of high school. That one worked out ok, and Markie wasn't nearly the prospect that Pinson is.

-Jason "my bet is that this is a long-term process for Pinson" Evans

airowe
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Just an FYI, Theo is a lifelong Duke fan. And just so happens to be a very good basketball player...

Turtleboy
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Just an FYI, Theo is a lifelong Duke fan. And just so happens to be a very good basketball player...Am I missing some irony here? Wouldn't being a good player go hand in hand with being rated number 1?

PADukeMom
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, doesn't it make you feel a little dirty?

Nah...it just makes me feel old...very old. Geeze Louise...I just did the math. If this kid stays 4 years I would be able to use AARP & not feel guilty.

Bob Green
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Wasn't this around the time that Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke?

Nope, you are off by 12 months. DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke in May 2002 toward the end of his sophomore year of high school.

uh_no
06-02-2011, 01:35 AM
DBR Summertime!

Making me think so far into the future that my head hurts....lemme get past breakfast tomorrow first :P

BD80
06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
So we have high interest from:

2012 #1 Andre Drummond

2013 #1 Julius Randle

2014 #1 Theo Pindle

after having enrolled:

2011 #1 Austin Rivers

2010 #1 Kyrie Irving (yes, in retrospect, but clear cut).

If he can keep this up, I think Coach K could turn out to be a pretty good coach!

superdave
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
What does one talk to a rising sophmore about?

Hey, buddy you're going to hit puberty soon. You'll notice some changes in your voice and your apetite will double. Hang in there!

Or maybe you talk about how cool it is when you get your license in a year!

I just hope this kid does not get burnt out from too much too young.

airowe
06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
So we have high interest from:

2013 #1 Jabari Parker and #2 Julius Randle

2014 #1 Theo Pinson

after having enrolled:

2011 #1 Austin Rivers

2010 #1 Kyrie Irving (yes, in retrospect, but clear cut).

If he can keep this up, I think Coach K could turn out to be a pretty good coach!

Made a few changes, but you've basically got it. Duke is recruiting at a very high level right now...

PADukeMom
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Made a few changes, but you've basically got it. Duke is recruiting at a very high level right now...

I thought Duke always recruited at the higest level or am I missing something???

Huh?
06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I've been waiting on this thread......

roywhite
06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I thought Duke always recruited at the higest level or am I missing something???

Not really; just even better
A+ vs A

DukeGirl4ever
06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
What does one talk to a rising sophmore about?

Hey, buddy you're going to hit puberty soon. You'll notice some changes in your voice and your apetite will double. Hang in there!

Or maybe you talk about how cool it is when you get your license in a year!

I just hope this kid does not get burnt out from too much too young.

The sad part is (although I don't really think it is sad), this is the reality, and it was the reality 15 years ago when I was being recruited in high school to play women's ball in college. I started receiving letters during freshman year and the recruiting process gets pretty hot and heavy during the sophomore year.

Honestly, though, the recruiting process is lengthy, and some kids need that time to figure out what they are truly looking for in a school/program and to weigh their options. Others get tired of the process and commit early to be done with the constant phone calls. I do like the restrictions for the contact period so it's not as draining on the kids (although I must admit, I'm out of the recruiting process loop after graduating in '01).

Seeing a "2014 recruiting thread" doesn't bother me - it's part of the process, but I'm not going to get all pumped up about a possible recruit that's a freshman in high school - a LOT changes in 3-4 years.

Krzyzewskiville
06-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Jay Williams has good things to say about Theo Pinson on his twitter

Lord Ash
06-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I got letters as a sophomore and made a few visits even, in the early 90s for a DEFINITELY-not-basketball-or-football-level-sport.

And yeah, while Duke always recruits at a high level, this is something else. To not just be IN play, but in SUCH a good spot for the top guys (and a few just under that) is pretty rare.

Bluedog
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Apparently, 2014 PG JaQuel Richmond is going to visit Duke on October 14th for Countdown2Craziness. Don't know much about him and it's obviously still very early, but I like this quote:

5. Do you have a player (at any level, college or pro) that you admire?

I would have to say I admire Kyrie Irving because we both have that killer instict [sic] during the entire game and we can get to the basket with no problem.

http://www.basketballelite.com/index.php/college-basketball/7-questions-with-jaquel-richmond/

He says he's already been offered by Georgetown, Wake, UVa, and Va Tech, among others.

watzone
09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/2014-stud-jahlil-okafor-picks-up-duke-offer/ Duke offers Jahlil Okafor, a 6-9 center that playes with Jabari Parker.

illinoisdukie
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Parker plays at Simeon or did he transfer to Whitney Young?

watzone
09-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Parker plays at Simeon or did he transfer to Whitney Young?

My mistake.

CDu
09-26-2011, 04:02 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/2014-stud-jahlil-okafor-picks-up-duke-offer/ Duke offers Jahlil Okafor, a 6-9 center that playes with Jabari Parker.

He's the #1 center in his class and sounds like more of a Shelden Williams, back-to-the-basket type.

GopherBlue
09-26-2011, 05:03 PM

...and he's growing like kudzu - 6'9" in the first paragraph, already 6'10" by the second paragraph, and only 15yo. Truly impressive ;)

illinoisdukie
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM
No Watzone you were right. I see they play on the same AAU team.

Bluedog
09-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the information watzone. Also, for those who are unaware, Whitney Young is a very selective (academically) magnet school in Chicago, so that is a good sign that Okafor likely is a good student and academics shouldn't be a concern. I would think that is one of the reasons Coach K is comfortable offering the sophomore this early.

rotogod00
09-26-2011, 09:53 PM
@5starbasketball

Per Chuck Okafor, Coach K said: "Jahlil (Okafor) is special. The best big man I've seen in any class. I want him right now."

Jderf
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
@5starbasketball

Per Chuck Okafor, Coach K said: "Jahlil (Okafor) is special. The best big man I've seen in any class. I want him right now."

Best in any class ever? Or best in any current high school class? Because those would be two very different statements. Either way, he's a very exciting prospect.

watzone
09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
No problem sharing info with DBR folks. This place was the first Duke Basketball site around and has stood the test of time. As for the blurb on Okafor in the article, that information was gathered by Andrew Slater, my sidekick recruiting analyst. Andrew has vast knowledge of the AAU circuit and it shows when he shares details on kids you just don't see our there. The bit on Okafor was actually a lead in to an interview a month back. I just felt like it shed a lot of light on the young man, so I included it.

rotogod00
09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Nice little video of Okafor talking about K and his recent visit:

http://fivestarbasketball.com/videos/09-28-2011-offers-coaches-flooding-in-for-okafor

rotogod00
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
@BBaptistHoops

2014 prizes Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones a package deal? They're looking at Arizona, Duke, Michigan State and #Buckeyes.

superdave
10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
@BBaptistHoops

2014 prizes Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones a package deal? They're looking at Arizona, Duke, Michigan State and #Buckeyes.

Who is BBaptistHoops? Any background?

Kedsy
10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Who is BBaptistHoops? Any background?

Does it matter? This will be worthy of discussion only if people still think they might be a package deal in two years. Sixteen year olds often say things that end up being untrue, and they also change their minds a lot. And in this case, the two boys probably didn't even say it.

dukedoc
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Perhaps Mr. Baptist got his info from this C2C interview (http://www.devilhoops.com/content/2014-point-guard-tyus-jones-talks-c2c-hoops-104/)

"C2C: We hear you are pretty good friends with 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
Jones: Yeah we're really good friends and we're pretty close. We're going to go to college together too."

Regardless, I agree with the above, this doesn't mean anything

t_hester31
12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I went to watch Wesleyan Christian, the school that Theo Pinson and JaQuel Richmond attend, play last night and none other than our own Coach Capel was sitting in the first row of the bleachers. Not sure if he did much other than watch the game, but he did briefly speak with the Wesleyan coach, Keith Gatlin, after the game.

Regardless, I was not impressed with the effort or intensity of these two kids. Wesleyan won in overtime, thanks only to Montay Brandon, an FSU commit who had 36 of their 80 points, and Theo look disinterested for the vast majority of the game. JaQuel played a bit harder than Theo, but still didn't make much of an impact on the game against a team they should've beat by 15-20. He even airballed a free throw with 25 seconds left in regulation and his team up 3. The final boxscore had Pinson with 8 and Richmond with 11.

They're definitely kids to keep our eyes on, but they still have a long way to go.

dukedoc
12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Mr. Okafor apparently on campus - any details?

@jahprobound
Jahlil Okafor
On my way to visit Duke.

Dev11
12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
In case you missed it:

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-20-2011-jahlil-okafor-impressed-by-4-schools

Favorite line:

"Duke ... They are known for having shooters," Okafor said. "That just opens me up in the post, so I won't have to deal with double and triple teams."

But...we don't recruit...post players...Why isn't this young man spitting the normal high school recruiting rhetoric about Duke?!?!?!? I am concerned he doesn't buy enough of the false claims!! (/sarcasm, right?)

AlaskanAssassin
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Not much, but more positive signs to Duke.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1215:jahlil-okafor-off-to-a-powerful-start-to-his-sophomore-seasontalks-about-recent-visits-in-north-carolina&catid=34:recruiting

airowe
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Okafor will be at the Beach Ball Classic down in Myrtle Beach this week. The tournament streams all their games live so you can catch Jahlil in action a few times over the next few days: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/12/27/beach-ball-classic-starts-today-in-myrtle-beach/

dukedoc
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
A brief article (http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/01-10-2012-duke-cuse-stand-out-for-jaquel-richmond) on Jaquel Richmond who, as we've heard previously, grew up a Duke fan. I realize most would prefer Tyus Jones among the 2014 guards if one were to choose between the two, and I probably would have to agree, but there is definitely something to be said about someone who has had Duke blue flowing through his veins since childhood.

roywhite
01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Not much, but more positive signs to Duke.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1215:jahlil-okafor-off-to-a-powerful-start-to-his-sophomore-seasontalks-about-recent-visits-in-north-carolina&catid=34:recruiting

20 points/ 10 rebounds/ 3 blocks against Simeon is very impressive.
Believe that is Jabari Parker's school, which is ranked #1 in the country?

wilko
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
A brief article (http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/01-10-2012-duke-cuse-stand-out-for-jaquel-richmond) on Jaquel Richmond who, as we've heard previously, grew up a Duke fan. I realize most would prefer Tyus Jones among the 2014 guards if one were to choose between the two, and I probably would have to agree, but there is definitely something to be said about someone who has had Duke blue flowing through his veins since childhood.

If its between 2 5-star prospects and 1 is a Duke FAN, I say go with the guy the that WANTS to be here.
Heck yeah! - It could mean more to him to be here and that HAS to be worth something..

Wheat/"/"/"
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
According to Evan Daniels and Inside Carolina, UNC has now offered Okafor as well.

yancem
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
According to Evan Daniels and Inside Carolina, UNC has now offered Okafor as well.

That's not too surprising and not just because it follows Ol'Roys tendency to offer the same players as Duke :rolleyes: Okafor appears to be a real stud and a true low post beast. And while unc has signed a couple of tall guys in the next couple of classes, it's my impression that only Joel James has much bulk and he may end up as more of a project/role player. I think that unc is going to be in as much of need of front court bangers as Duke and Okafor fits that bill very nicely.

roywhite
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
On 2013 and 2014 recruiting, good to remember this is an Olympic year, and Coach K will be very occupied this summer with the selection, training, and competition to earn another Gold Medal.

Probably means he wants to get a jump on recruiting and maybe get commitments from certainly 2013 kids and quite possibly one or more from 2014.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I saw Okafor the other night on ESPNU and he looked like a definite back to the basket low post kid. When he sets up, it's real low, under the basket to dunk on you low.

He's really big but seemed plenty mobile with nice hands, footwork and touch getting off his shots inside, over both shoulders.

He reminded me somewhat of Brendan Haywood, fwiw, and I'd go out on a limb and say he looked better than Haywood did the first time I saw him as a college freshman.

And I guess it should be noted that he looked to be carrying a little baby weight, no surprise for a HS Soph. A serious committment to getting in shape and he's beast material.
NBA when he wants to/or can go, kind of kid.

From the one TV game I saw I'd bet he could start on most high major Div.1 teams right now.

gam7
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
On 2013 and 2014 recruiting, good to remember this is an Olympic year, and Coach K will be very occupied this summer with the selection, training, and competition to earn another Gold Medal.

Probably means he wants to get a jump on recruiting and maybe get commitments from certainly 2013 kids and quite possibly one or more from 2014.

A while back, Jim Sumner confirmed that the staff would be hoping for early commitments from 2013 because of the Olympics. The strong early push in 2013 paid off with Matt Jones's commitment. It sounds as though Randle and Parker are not going to be in any rush to decide, but also keep in mind how Coach K was viewed following the Beijing Olympics. If the US wins gold, expect even more pro-Coach K propaganda to flood the airwaves, which helped our recruiting after Beijing and likely would help with the 2013 and 2014 classes.

Double DD
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
A while back, Jim Sumner confirmed that the staff would be hoping for early commitments from 2013 because of the Olympics. The strong early push in 2013 paid off with Matt Jones's commitment. It sounds as though Randle and Parker are not going to be in any rush to decide, but also keep in mind how Coach K was viewed following the Beijing Olympics. If the US wins gold, expect even more pro-Coach K propaganda to flood the airwaves, which helped our recruiting after Beijing and likely would help with the 2013 and 2014 classes.

The flipside being that anything less than gold will garner a lot of criticism.

Duvall
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
The flipside being that anything less than gold will garner a lot of criticism.

Enh, people will probably just blame LeBron.

-bdbd
01-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Enh, people will probably just blame LeBron.

Trust me, the NC media - and other Tarheel fans - would be more than happy to heap blame on Coach K. And I'm sure Calipari and the like would always be above pointing out the "failure..."

:rolleyes:

wilko
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Trust me, the NC media - and other Tarheel fans - would be more than happy to heap blame on Coach K. And I'm sure Calipari and the like would always be above pointing out the "failure..."

:rolleyes:

Ergo - why not Stack the team with UNC and UK players so they HAVE to talk about K to their respective fanbases?
If its a failure then you can blame execution then trash the players and former coaches. If its a success then they have to submit to the glory that is..

Ram it down their throats and out their gizzards in 1 fell swoop. But then perhaps I am too mild in my approach to opposing fanbases.

jv001
01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Ergo - why not Stack the team with UNC and UK players so they HAVE to talk about K to their respective fanbases?
If its a failure then you can blame execution then trash the players and former coaches. If its a success then they have to submit to the glory that is..

Ram it down their throats and out their gizzards in 1 fell swoop. But then perhaps I am too mild in my approach to opposing fanbases.

I don't even know if Coach K is that good of a coach, lol.

JNort
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1327529&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

dukedoc
04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Anyone know where we stand with Andrew Wiggins? I realize he is '14, but he may reclassify it seems, and regardless, for someone of his caliber, it's never too early to discuss.

It sounds like he's been making waves at EYBL this weekend.

Andrew Slater ‏ @DreDre18
Andrew Wiggins noticed the Duke coaches and said it's an honor to play in front of Coach K. #EYBL #BDN

Also, his highlights are ridiculous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGF_ePGAjwE) (granted, they are in the highlight reel for a reason).

He appears to have exceptional natural gifts. I know there's a familial connection to FSU, but I hope he'll strongly consider another ACC destination in Durham.

Any thoughts or intel?

jimsumner
04-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Anyone know where we stand with Andrew Wiggins? I realize he is '14, but he may reclassify it seems, and regardless, for someone of his caliber, it's never too early to discuss.

Andrew Wiggins noticed the Duke coaches and said it's an honor to play in front of Coach K. #EYBL #BDN

Also, his highlights are ridiculous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGF_ePGAjwE) (granted, they are in the highlight reel for a reason).

He appears to have exceptional natural gifts. I know there's a familial connection to FSU, but I hope he'll strongly consider another ACC destination in Durham.

Any thoughts or intel?

Duke would love to get Wiggins, although the maybe-reclass could make he and J. Parker redundant, or at least a pretty tough combo.

FSU is going to be tough to beat, although there are reports of Calipari and Wiggins making googly-eyes at each other.

BTW, if every recruit who was honored to play in front of K and/or honored to be recruited by K had actually signed on the dotted line, Duke would have about 30 guys on scholarship right now.

dukedoc
04-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Duke would love to get Wiggins, although the maybe-reclass could make he and J. Parker redundant, or at least a pretty tough combo.

FSU is going to be tough to beat, although there are reports of Calipari and Wiggins making googly-eyes at each other.

BTW, if every recruit who was honored to play in front of K and/or honored to be recruited by K had actually signed on the dotted line, Duke would have about 30 guys on scholarship right now.

Thanks, Jim. Hopefully Wiggins will stay in 2014 so that, by the time he gets around to a commitment, Cal will have already made like a tree and gotten out of Lexington and gone to the NBA somewhere. Doesn't Andrew know that Cal is just rebounding from his failed bromance with Bazz? "Googly-eyes" - ha!

SeattleIrish
04-22-2012, 04:47 PM
That is the most explosive 14 year old I've ever seen. Amazing, for his age; with that body and that explosiveness, he looks like a college player right NOW.

Very impressive.

s.i.

Any thoughts or intel?

jimsumner
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
That is the most explosive 14 year old I've ever seen. Amazing, for his age; with that body and that explosiveness, he looks like a college player right NOW.

Very impressive.

s.i.

Wiggins is not 14-years old. He's currently a member of the high school class of 2014, thinking about reclassifying to the class of 2013.

El_Diablo
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Very impressive.

s.i.

He's in the high school class of '14, not 14 years old. He's 17 years old right now.

BD80
04-22-2012, 07:41 PM
He's in the high school class of '14, not 14 years old. ...

That makes me feel worlds better about the '12 recruiting thread!

Listen to Quants
04-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Tough in the sense of "they will be leery of both going to the same college" or tough in the sense of "tough to start both?" I think of tall, agile, hard nosed defenders as able to play defense across a wide range of positions. The perfect example is obviously Battier with his college NDPOY as a 4 and is a fine NBA defender at the 2 (I assume anybody who can 'sort of' guard Kobe in the NBA could have more than handled the 2 guards of the college game. Lance Thomas is another who obviously could guard 2-4 ... even 1-4, and once his court awareness peaked as a senior he was a good defensive 4. A certain Grant Hill springs to mind too. Duke could have won a couple of more National titles if they had had some Hill clones playing together. I don't know exactly how they would work together on offense but it doesn't seem likely that that sort of firepower would create a problem. :D

... however, by 'tough combo' you may well have meant a "tough dang combo" ... in which case you were too subtle for me.

jimsumner
04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Tough in the sense of "they will be leery of both going to the same college" or tough in the sense of "tough to start both?" I think of tall, agile, hard nosed defenders as able to play defense across a wide range of positions. The perfect example is obviously Battier with his college NDPOY as a 4 and is a fine NBA defender at the 2 (I assume anybody who can 'sort of' guard Kobe in the NBA could have more than handled the 2 guards of the college game. Lance Thomas is another who obviously could guard 2-4 ... even 1-4, and once his court awareness peaked as a senior he was a good defensive 4. A certain Grant Hill springs to mind too. Duke could have won a couple of more National titles if they had had some Hill clones playing together. I don't know exactly how they would work together on offense but it doesn't seem likely that that sort of firepower would create a problem. :D

... however, by 'tough combo' you may well have meant a "tough dang combo" ... in which case you were too subtle for me.

Wiggins and Jabari Parker could certainly play together. But their skill sets do overlap some. I'm not sure getting both in the same class is realistic.

Duke is likely on the outside looking in on Wiggins. J. Parker is a viable option, however, and I'm reasonably certain Duke will be a major player here. Michigan State could be Duke's toughest rival for Parker.

tommy
04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Just trying to put together a tentative list of current Duke targets from the class of 2014, and having listed Wiggins in the 2013 thread on the assumption he re-classifies, this is what I've got. I'm sure there are a number of others too. Others with more knowledge than I have should of course feel free to supplement.

PG:
Tyus Jones 6'0 171 out of Minnesota. Appears we're going real hard after this kid.
JaQual Richmond 6'1" 170, out of North Carolina.

SG:
Theo Pinson 6'6" 180, North Carolina. Been on him a long time already it seems like and he's just a rising junior!

SF:
Wayne Seiden, 6'5" 200, Boston

Center:
Jahlil Okafor 6'9" 270, Chicago. Everyone wants him.

JNort
04-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Just trying to put together a tentative list of current Duke targets from the class of 2014, and having listed Wiggins in the 2013 thread on the assumption he re-classifies, this is what I've got. I'm sure there are a number of others too. Others with more knowledge than I have should of course feel free to supplement.

PG:
Tyus Jones 6'0 171 out of Minnesota. Appears we're going real hard after this kid.

SG:
Theo Pinson 6'6" 180, North Carolina. Been on him a long time already it seems like and he's just a rising junior!

SF:

Center:

I want Tyus, Theo and of course Jahlil

jimsumner
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

PG:

SG:

SF:

Center:

For purposes of accuracy, Wayne Seiden is actually Wayne Selden.

MChambers
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Is he related to Selden Williams? :)

I think Wayne Selden should come to Duke, because the fanbase has lots of experience with misspelling (or mispelling) players' names.

SeattleIrish
04-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Wiggins is not 14-years old. He's currently a member of the high school class of 2014, thinking about reclassifying to the class of 2013.

woops! Thanks for the correction(s). I suppose he's still reasonably good for a 17 year old ;)

s.i.

BD80
04-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Any relation to Hari Seldon?

He had a solid Foundation.

jimsumner
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Any relation to Hari Seldon?

He had a solid Foundation.

Where else but DBR do we get an Isaac Asimov reference on a recruiting thread?

bdevil4life
04-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Well in all fairness, Andrew Wiggin is pretty big in scifi circles himself...

Dev11
04-23-2012, 10:39 PM

...and it would be fitting that we're mistaking the skills of a 17-year old for the skills of a 14-year old.

SeattleIrish
04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
...and it would be fitting that we're mistaking the skills of a 17-year old for the skills of a 14-year old.

Not that I don't deserve the scorn, humorously given, of that I have no doubt, but my mistake was at least given in praise of his skills. I did state that he would be the most advanced 14 year old I've ever seen. Of course, if he signs with UCLA, I'll say he peaked at 13 and was downhill ever since...
;)
s.i.

SeattleIrish
04-23-2012, 11:24 PM

And I assume he's wicked with his end game?
:confused:
s.i.

dukedoc
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
A little Tyus Jones action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyqJmuBStA)

Really nice looking prospect.

roywhite
04-25-2012, 10:21 PM
A little Tyus Jones action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyqJmuBStA)

Really nice looking prospect.

Thanks; some very impressive action.
His creative passing reminded me of Bobby Hurley; the drives reminded me some of Kyrie.
These are highlights and the comparisons are probably not fair, but a pretty good first impression.

mndukie
04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
His creative passing reminded me of Bobby Hurley; the drives reminded me some of Kyrie.
These are highlights and the comparisons are probably not fair, but a pretty good first impression.

Yeah, he is pretty legit. I doubt anyone would confuse Minnesota with Chicago, Indiana, NY, etc in terms of quantity of talent but it sounds like he is doing pretty well in the national tournaments.

It would be nice if my state could produce something a bit more than Nick Horvath (a limited bench player) or Kris Humphries (well kind of, I think Duke was much better off he didn't step foot on campus). The saving grace is 2 of our titles came within our state lines, however unless they build the Vikings a dome stadium our hosting of the Final Four run is all but over.

SilkyJ
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Maybe it was the bevy of floaters in the highlight reel, but his drives reminded me a lot of Austin's style of play.

Greg_Newton
04-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Per the twitterz, Duke is now expressing interest in 6'6 2014 wing Justise Winslow. Highlights from last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNZuSssf2U

BD80
04-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Per the twitterz, Duke is now expressing interest in 6'6 2014 wing Justise Winslow. Highlights from last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNZuSssf2U

It would make headlines if Justise were to come to Durham.

-bdbd
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
It would make headlines if Justise were to come to Durham.

Justice to Durham??

..... What is this, a Lacrosse thread?

tommy
04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Adding Justise Winslow to our 2014 target list, what I've been able to compile from the posts and tweets of others, meaning it's likely incomplete, our list for 2014 looks like this:

PG:
Tyus Jones 6'0 171 out of Minnesota. Appears we're going real hard after this kid. But so is everyone else. Appears to have superstar written all over him at this point.

SG:

SF:
Wayne Selden, 6'5" 200, Boston
Justise Winslow, 6'6" 195, out of Houston.

Center:

mr. synellinden
05-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Here's a nice write up (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/recruiting/blog/eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting/18960928/top-five-sophomore-jahlil-okafor-standing-out-down-low)on the current #2 prospect in the 2014 class.

In particular, this is nice to read:

He has taken trips to Ohio State, Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Arizona.

“I'm looking for a place that has good players. I want to win a lot of games,” Okafor said. “And my focus is on education.”

While there are no favorites right now, he said Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State and Arizona are coming at him the hardest.

Norman Pfyster
05-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Justice to Durham??

..... What is this, a Lacrosse thread?

I think David Justice played for the Durham Bulls back in the day.

Newton_14
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Ok, here is the table for the 2014 recruits. Info is for various Duke sources on Twitter, along with Rivals and ESPN. The current rankings shown are from Rivals. (I will change that to RSCI once available in June of 2013)

Position Name Measurements Stars Overall Rank Offer? Comments
PG Tyus Jones 6'1, 171lbs 5 4 Yes Excellent passer. Makes others better. Unique player
PG JaQuel Richmond 6'1, 170lbs 4 NR ESPN has him 5th at his position and 24th overall.
SF Theo Pinson 6'6, 180lbs 5 14 Yes Grew up a Duke fan, excellent scorer from mid-range, and attacking the rim
SF Andrew Wiggins 6'7, 207lbs 5 1 Special Player! May reclassify. #1 Player is his class by a mile regardless of class.
SF Wayne Selden 6'4 200lbs 5 13 A powerful forward who already owns a man's body
PF/C Jahlil Okafor 6'10, 280lbs 5 3 Yes Great around the rim, great hands and footwork

Here is the table for the 2014 recruits. The Wiggins kid is the star of the class. Those that saw him in the Nike Hoops Summit got a taste of how good he is. All of the recruiting sites rave about him as well. Bad news is FSU and Kentucky are his leaders.

Really hoping to get the Pinson kid as well as Wayne Selden.

tommy
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is the table for the 2014 recruits. The Wiggins kid is the star of the class. Those that saw him in the Nike Hoops Summit got a taste of how good he is. All of the recruiting sites rave about him as well. Bad news is FSU and Kentucky are his leaders.

Really hoping to get the Pinson kid as well as Wayne Selden.

Newt - next time you update you might want to add Joel Berry, a 6'1" PG out of Florida. Appears we're interested.

Newton_14
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Newt - next time you update you might want to add Joel Berry, a 6'1" PG out of Florida. Appears we're interested.

Will do. Still checking on the offer/no offer for Young. Nothing solid yet. Might remove that with the next update until we are sure.

tommy
05-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Will do. Still checking on the offer/no offer for Young. Nothing solid yet. Might remove that with the next update until we are sure.

I've checked around lately too on a few sites and I don't see anything indicating that he does have an offer. Chronblog says no, a Michigan State site mentions three schools by name that have offered and then says "and a few others" without naming them, and then a couple of other sites just talk about the interest that Young has shown in Michigan State (home state advantage there for sure), Kentucky (he's indicating he wants an offer from them!), Kansas, Arizona, and Ohio State without even mentioning Duke. Doesn't mean that a lot can't be happening behind the scenes, but from what's available publicly, I'd probably put it under the "no offer" at this time column. Hope that changes -- sounds like a real good player and a good kid to boot.

BlueDevilBrowns
05-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Just thought I'd throw out this article I came across today on Tyus Jones, predicting him to be a Blue Devil among other info.

LINK:http://d1basketballrecruiting.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/tyus-jones-pg-class-of-2014-next-duke-point-guard-24/

FYI...It goes will with the main-paige article about Wiggin, Pinson, and Jones.

dukedoc
05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know our strategy with respect to Theo Pinson's recruitment? It sounds like he likes Duke and that we are in a strong position with him, but are we waiting until 2013 fleshes itself out prior to offering him? Seems like a top talent who would be a great fit.

tommy
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know our strategy with respect to Theo Pinson's recruitment? It sounds like he likes Duke and that we are in a strong position with him, but are we waiting until 2013 fleshes itself out prior to offering him? Seems like a top talent who would be a great fit.

I was wondering about that too, especially after reading Dave Telep's chat thing today, where he was asked if Pinson is leaning towards Duke. His answer was this: "I think Theo Pinson has always liked Duke. I don't think Duke has put the press on him to commit as of yet. If and when they do, they'll have a great shot."

I don't know how much actual information on this Telep has, so take it for what it's worth.

jimsumner
05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I was wondering about that too, especially after reading Dave Telep's chat thing today, where he was asked if Pinson is leaning towards Duke. His answer was this: "I think Theo Pinson has always liked Duke. I don't think Duke has put the press on him to commit as of yet. If and when they do, they'll have a great shot."

I don't know how much actual information on this Telep has, so take it for what it's worth.

Theo Pinson has said nice things about Duke with some regularity.

tommy
05-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Scout has its updated 2014 class rankings out. These are rising juniors. Of the guys we're thought to be going after hardest, here are their rankings:

1 - Wiggins
2 - Okafor
5 - Tyus Jones
6 - Wayne Selden
12 - Justise Winslow
17 - Pinson
25 - Joel Berry
35 - JaQuel Richmond

Scout has a column for each kid entitled "Schools of Interest." I don't know if that means schools that are interested in the player, or vice-versa. But they do not list Duke with regards to Selden, Winslow, or Berry. That could be just the result of Scout not having the information that we're actively recruiting those kids, or perhaps as to one or more of them, they're correct and we're not.

On the other hand, they have us on the list for #16 rated Justin Jackson, a 6'6" SF out of Texas. That's a name that I haven't seen discussed in relation to Duke before.

Here's the link to the list:
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

jimsumner
05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Scout has its updated 2014 class rankings out. These are rising juniors. Of the guys we're thought to be going after hardest, here are their rankings:

1 - Wiggins
2 - Okafor
5 - Tyus Jones
6 - Wayne Selden
12 - Justise Winslow
17 - Pinson
25 - Joel Berry
35 - JaQuel Richmond

Scout has a column for each kid entitled "Schools of Interest." I don't know if that means schools that are interested in the player, or vice-versa. But they do not list Duke with regards to Selden, Winslow, or Berry. That could be just the result of Scout not having the information that we're actively recruiting those kids, or perhaps as to one or more of them, they're correct and we're not.

On the other hand, they have us on the list for #16 rated Justin Jackson, a 6'6" SF out of Texas. That's a name that I haven't seen discussed in relation to Duke before.

Here's the link to the list:
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

Duke is definitely interested in Winslow.

mailman2927
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
i am an asst. coach in scranton, pa and there is a kid by the name of j.c. show that plays on an opposing team that i hope the staff takes a look at. he is very similar to gerry macnamara, from syracuse, at this point in his career. i know duke went after macnamara hard. i think this kid would be a great fit at duke. he is a great kid, leader, and an unbelievably hard worker. as a soph. this past season, he took his team to the state semifinals in the aaa division and averaged close to 30 pts. in the tournament. he will def. be popping up on the radar at some pt.

rotogod00
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
ESPN's hot-off-the-presses updated top 60 players "considering" Duke:

2. Okafor
3. Jones
11. Winslow
14. Pinson

roywhite
06-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Pinson claims an offer from Duke in this video, and indicates he doesn't have a favorite at this point.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/06-07-2012-theo-pinson-attention-from-duke-and-syracuse

roywhite
07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
The USA U-17 team is rolling, winning big tonight over China.

USA 116 -- China 47 (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_05_stats.html)

2014 prospects Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, and Jahlil Okafor have been playing well as the USA is 5-0. Believe 2014 prospect Theo Pinson failed to make the team. Jabari Parker, a star in the 2013 high school class, has been held out for two games due to a (reportedly minor) knee injury.

Winslow appears to be a "stat-sheet stuffer" who gets points, rebounds, assists, and steals.

roywhite
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Justise Winslow profile from USA Basketball (http://www.usabasketball.com/bios/winslow_justise.html)

•Tweets under the handle @Chief_Justise.

lol....gotta love that.

Bob Green
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
The USA U-17 team is rolling, winning big tonight over China.

USA 116 -- China 47 (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_05_stats.html)

A quick perusal of the box score shows Tyus Jones with an impressive stat line of 11 assists, one turnover, seven points and two steals. It would be great to see Jones handling the point and dishing dimes for Duke.

Bob Green
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
USA routed Canada 113-59. Here is the box score:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20496/05/76/01/17RTuASBoHBw/

Tyus Jones led the way with 22 points and six assists.

jimsumner
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
USA routed Canada 113-59. Here is the box score:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20496/05/76/01/17RTuASBoHBw/

Tyus Jones led the way with 22 points and six assists.

And that's in 19 minutes!!

Interesting that Winslow played twice as many minutes as Jabari Parker. Maybe we're fixated on the wrong guy.

Duvall
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
And that's in 19 minutes!!

Interesting that Winslow played twice as many minutes as Jabari Parker. Maybe we're fixated on the wrong guy.

Parker is hurt. ( http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-22/sports/chi-jabari-parker-to-play-for-team-usa-after-injury-scare-20120622_1_jabari-parker-parker-s-simeon-kendrick-nunn)

jimsumner
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-22/sports/chi-jabari-parker-to-play-for-team-usa-after-injury-scare-20120622_1_jabari-parker-parker-s-simeon-kendrick-nunn]Parker ( [url) is hurt.[/url]

Ouch!! That has to hurt. And we all know that toe injuries can be vexing.

roywhite
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
***Edit....looks like Bob already had the boxscore

Another blowout for the USA team, and another great stat line for Winslow with 17 points including 7-9 FGs and also 13 rebounds

Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor also played well, and Jabari Parker was back in action for an effective 12 minutes.

roywhite
07-08-2012, 08:37 AM
USA 95 -- Spain 66 (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_07_stats.html)

The U-17 team had some difficulty in the first half vs Spain, but pulled away for a victory and a matchup vs Australia for the gold medal.

USA basketball game recap (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_07.html)

Justise Winslow continues to impress with another 17 points, 13 rebound game.
Not sure what the status is with Duke's recruitment of Winslow, but he is getting near the top of my 2014 wish list.

jimsumner
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
USA 95 -- Spain 66 (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_07_stats.html)

The U-17 team had some difficulty in the first half vs Spain, but pulled away for a victory and a matchup vs Australia for the gold medal.

USA basketball game recap (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/12_mu17_game_07.html)

Justise Winslow continues to impress with another 17 points, 13 rebound game.
Not sure what the status is with Duke's recruitment of Winslow, but he is getting near the top of my 2014 wish list.

Winslow's ability to rebound from the wing is quite tantalizing.

roywhite
07-08-2012, 04:50 PM
USA 95 -- Australia 62 (http://kaunas2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/fu17wc/men/p/eid/6228/ct/0/gid/A/grid/46/rid/9170/sid/6228/game.html)

A dominant tournament for the USA team. Duke targets Tyus Jones, Jabari Parker (limited minutes due to injury recovery), Jahlil Okafor, and Justise Winslow all played well.

As noted in some of the above posts, Winslow is an intriguing prospect; at a powerfully built 6'6" (http://kaunas2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/fu17wc/men/player/p/eid/6228/lid//lid_70494_cp//lid_70494_itemcount//lid_70494_rpp//orderby//ot//pid/99011/pid2//rid//sid/6228/tid/379/tid2//profile.html), he led the team in minutes played, rebounds, and steals. Seems like a very versatile player, kind of a "glue guy" who does a bit of everything, including defense.

According to what I've read, he also seems to be a good student. Don't believe he has visited Duke, but perhaps Coach Capel (with other staff involved with the Olympics) could encourage a summer visit or something in the fall.

Okafor, Jones, and Winslow could all be serious 2014 targets for the Blue Devils.

Edit to add: check out some of the photos on the FIBA profile page linked above (second of two links) for Winslow. Appears to have some serious hops.

roywhite
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Jahlil Okafor named MVP of U-17 tournament (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/)

Justise Winslow was named to the all-tournament team.

Seems to me that Okafor will be a priority recruit as we need size looking ahead.
The down side is that he may well be a one-and-done type talent.

CDu
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Jahlil Okafor named MVP of U-17 tournament (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/)

Justise Winslow was named to the all-tournament team.

Seems to me that Okafor will be a priority recruit as we need size looking ahead.
The down side is that he may well be a one-and-done type talent.

That's going to be true of any of the truly elite prospects.

Ichabod Drain
07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
It's a little early to tell but apparently Tyus Jones and Okafor are looking to be a package deal.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

CDu
07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
It's a little early to tell but apparently Tyus Jones and Okafor are looking to be a package deal.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

I'm sure that Coach K would be just fine with that package. Best PG and best big man in the class? Yes, please.

As you said, it's still early. But Duke, MSU, OSU, and Arizona are the teams on both kids' lists. I'm sure that UNC and Kentucky will find their way onto the list eventually, too.

gam7
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM

As for Jones, he put up incredible numbers at the Peach Jam on a team that doesn't have any other players whose names I recognize. I haven't run the numbers, but I have seen all of the box scores - he must have averaged around 25 ppg on over 60% shooting, along with impressive assist numbers. That's phenomenal for a PG against that quality of competition.

tommy
07-25-2012, 03:07 PM

As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it. From everything I've seen lately, the duo most likely to actually choose a school together and go play as a package are Boo Williams teammates Cat Barber and Troy Williams. I know they're 2013 and this is a 2014 thread, but still. If they do go together, it's looking like it'll be to either Louisville or Alabama, which at least would have the benefit of Williams spurning UNC and Kentucky, to which he had previously narrowed his list.

CDu
07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it. From everything I've seen lately, the duo most likely to actually choose a school together and go play as a package are Boo Williams teammates Cat Barber and Troy Williams. I know they're 2013 and this is a 2014 thread, but still. If they do go together, it's looking like it'll be to either Louisville or Alabama, which at least would have the benefit of Williams spurning UNC and Kentucky, to which he had previously narrowed his list.

Since I believe that Duke is very interested in both Jones and Okafor, I have no problem with the idea that they may want to play together. We can absolutely offer them that opportunity.

NSDukeFan
07-25-2012, 03:17 PM

I agree with your basic point, but Kasey Hill and Chris Walker might disagree about the most likely duo. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8188900/florida-gators-land-top-10-recruit-chris-walker-move-top-2013-rankings)

(Thanks to Newton14 for telling me how to do Duvall's inserting links trick. That was so much fun, and easy as Newton14 promised.)

Kedsy
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it.

I agree that, no matter what they say, in the end very few sets of friends are really package deals, or make playing with their friend their primary factor in choosing a school. That doesn't mean the idea of playing with a friend isn't a minor positive factor in some instances, and for top-of-the-class guys like these two, I'll take all the positive factors we can get, minor or not.

tommy
07-25-2012, 04:39 PM
I agree that, no matter what they say, in the end very few sets of friends are really package deals, or make playing with their friend their primary factor in choosing a school. That doesn't mean the idea of playing with a friend isn't a minor positive factor in some instances, and for top-of-the-class guys like these two, I'll take all the positive factors we can get, minor or not.

Oh, I agree. I think CDu might've just misunderstood my post, or I wasn't as clear as I should've been. When it comes down to it, I don't think many duos sit down and decide, together, here's where "we" are going to go, as a package deal. Sure, there are lots of situations where a particular school lands two guys who know each other, are friends, who even played together, in particular in AAU ball. I think that would be more likely to be the way in which it works out for Okafor and Jones, if they were to end up at the same place. Having a close friend or previous teammate already going to a particular school is a positive in one's assessment of what is a good landing spot for him. Which is far different than making a joint decision as to where to go to school together.

gam7
07-25-2012, 05:34 PM

All I have read suggests that Barber and Williams are not a package deal. Both have said something to the effect that, if Barber doesn't choose to go to Kansas or [one other place], then they "may" be a package deal. In essence, that means that they think they might end up at the same place, but they are making their own decisions. This is one of the weakest "package deal" quotes I have ever seen.

tommy
07-31-2012, 02:37 AM
When the list is updated, it should include 6'7" Kavon Looney out of Milwaukee.

BD80
07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
When the list is updated, it should include 6'7" Kavon Looney out of Milwaukee.

Is he crazy good?

Ichabod Drain
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Is he crazy good?

He's got mad handles.

ikiru36
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
He's got mad handles.

I hear his crossover is INSANE! ;0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
I hear his crossover is INSANE! ;0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is going to have Dickie V absolutely going bananas.

gam7
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Updated ESPN 2014 rankings: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2014/order/true

2. Jones
3. Okafor
9. Pinson
11. Winslow

How about we take that class and call it a day?

roywhite
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Top 75 Class of 2014 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014)

For now at least, Andrew Wiggins is in the class of 2014, and ranked #1

Others:
2. Tyus Jones
4. Jahlil Okafor
10. Justise Winslow
13. Theo Pinson
17. Joel Berry
18. Justin Jackson

flyingdutchdevil
08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Top 75 Class of 2014 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014)

For now at least, Andrew Wiggins is in the class of 2014, and ranked #1

Others:
2. Tyus Jones
4. Jahlil Okafor
10. Justise Winslow
13. Theo Pinson
17. Joel Berry
18. Justin Jackson

Wiggins is the Lebron James of the class, and something that we see only 1-2 a decade: a player who is leagues and leagues ahead of his peers on the high school level. Jones may be number 2, but he is a far number 2. Wiggins could essentially reclassify for the 2013 class and still be ranked as the consensus number 1 recruit across the majority of the recruiting platforms. He's that good. Some coach is gonna save his job by landing Wiggins (ala Howland).

Kedsy
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Wiggins is the Lebron James of the class, and something that we see only 1-2 a decade: a player who is leagues and leagues ahead of his peers on the high school level.

Wait, I thought Jabari Parker was the LeBron James of his class who we'd only see once or twice a decade? You mean there are two of them in two years? (And if Wiggins reclassifies, two in a single year?) Hmm.

rotogod00
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Blog from Jahlil Okafor:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/jottings-from-jahlil--10002

Mentions an upcoming K visit and that every time he talks to him, it's amazing. May also come to Midnight Madness, possibly with Tyus Jones. Sounds like they really want to play together at the next level.

UrinalCake
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Wait, I thought Jabari Parker was the LeBron James of his class who we'd only see once or twice a decade? You mean there are two of them in two years? (And if Wiggins reclassifies, two in a single year?) Hmm.

Yeah, these once-in-a-decade players only come around every year or two.

Indoor66
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM

...and remain in the headlines for a week or two.

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.givengobasketball.com/stanley-johnson-article

Stanley Johnson is a big Duke Recruit. If you have any questions about him let me know. Thanks

Bob Green
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
If you have any questions about him let me know.

How big of a challenge will it be to lure Johnson away from the West Coast?

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
How big of a challenge will it be to lure Johnson away from the West Coast?

Not as hard as you think. If Duke pursues this kid enough we could see him on the east coast. Will it be a challenge yes, but if anyone can do it, it's Duke.

-jk
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Not as hard as you think. If Duke pursues this kid enough we could see him on the east coast. Will it be a challenge yes, but if anyone can do it, it's Duke.

To Bob's point, the farthest east scout, rivals, or espn has him is uk, one of only two schools east of the Mississippi. None of the three even has Duke listed.

While I love getting top recruits, at this point, he seems less inclined to come east. But there is still a lot of time. And kids aren't always known for their clear headed decisiveness.

Where is your confidence coming from?

-jk

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM
To Bob's point, the farthest east scout, rivals, or espn has him is uk, one of only two schools east of the Mississippi. None of the three even has Duke listed.

While I love getting top recruits, at this point, he seems less inclined to come east. But there is still a lot of time. And kids aren't always known for their clear headed decisiveness.

Where is your confidence coming from?

-jk

Well that's not entirely true rivals scout and espn haven't updated his profile in a while. He told me he was interested in UNC Duke Cuse and Kentucky so the option of going east is still there with those four east schools

-jk
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Well that's not entirely true rivals scout and espn haven't updated his profile in a while. He told me he was interested in UNC Duke Cuse and Kentucky so the option of going east is still there with those four east schools

Which could be why I don't spend much time following recruiting. I'm too old to keep up with teens. ;)

-jk

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Which could be why I don't spend much time following recruiting. I'm too old to keep up with teens. ;)

-jk

haha that's why I'm here

Pghdukie
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
haha that's why I'm here

Your sentiments are exactly the same as Taylor King and Oleg Cryz. They came they saw- and left. My best wishes to you and your endeavors.

COYS
09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Your sentiments are exactly the same as Taylor King and Oleg Cryz. They came they saw- and left. My best wishes to you and your endeavors.

Or someone like Kyle Singler or DeMarcus Nelson. They came, they saw, and one of them even left with a title. I agree with others that it's not always easy to find a recruit who will be happy 3,000 miles from home, but it does happen.

BD80
09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Or someone like Kyle Singler or DeMarcus Nelson. They came, they saw, and one of them even left with a title. I agree with others that it's not always easy to find a recruit who will be happy 3,000 miles from home, but it does happen.

But Markie would go back to the west coast and train in the sand wearing a weight vest - he might be considered unusual.

Kyle. He's iron.

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer also left with a title, while Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Taymon Domzalski and Trajan Langdon made it to the title game.

We could throw in a little Ricky Price for seasoning.

luvdahops
09-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer also left with a title, while Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Taymon Domzalski and Trajan Langdon made it to the title game.

Parks and Meek were also on the '92 title team, though only Cherokee was part of the rotation that year

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Parks and Meek were also on the '92 title team, though only Cherokee was part of the rotation that year

Yep. Thanks for that. I was thinking of '94 but they were on the '92 team and Parks did play a fair amount.

So, the '91 team was the only title team without anyone from the west coast.

rhynelander
09-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Recent Hoosier decommit, Trey Lyles got a scholarship offer from Coach K. A power forward with range to the 3, solid athleticism and skill joins PG Tyus Jones, Wings Theo Pinson and Justice Winslow as well as the bigman Jahlil Okafor as 2014 prospects holding a Duke offer. Looks like an incredible five, would drag Michigan's fab five of old.

-bdbd
09-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I hear that each is the "once-in-a-lifetime" player of his class.
If Wiggins reclassifies... wow, isn't that sort of like a "what if matter and anti-matter meet" sort of question???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ChillinDuke
09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Recent Hoosier decommit, Trey Lyles got a scholarship offer from Coach K. A power forward with range to the 3, solid athleticism and skill joins PG Tyus Jones, Wings Theo Pinson and Justice Winslow as well as the bigman Jahlil Okafor as 2014 prospects holding a Duke offer. Looks like an incredible five, would drag Michigan's fab five of old.

Those are 5 absolutely premier players (Scout has them all in the top 13 of the class), and they more or less range across all five positions on the court.

I'd be happy with two of them, ecstatic with three.

For what it's worth, Scout seems to hint at Lyles liking Kentucky and/or UNC.

We'll see how it shakes out.

- Chillin

Saratoga2
09-21-2012, 02:54 PM

I hadn't heard about the Lyles kid. Sounds interesting. With what we already have and expect to have, even a couple of these recruits would make us a super competitive team.

Bluedog
09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Maybe Tyus should get his own recruitment thread so people see this? Or perhaps it's too early still. In any event, Crazies better be on their game and chant his name when he visits for CTC (with Jahlil Okafor as well)! (See linked article.) Tyus says he and Jahlil are "planning to play together in college," he's coming off surgery to a torn ligament in his thumb, and is a big Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fan. He's doing a monthly diary entry for USA Today throughout the season.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-point-guard-talks-recruiting-the-fresh-prince-and-more--10011

I’ll be at Duke for their Midnight Madness on Oct. 19 then I’ll probably spend a little time there Saturday and head over to North Carolina after...I’ve heard that Cameron Crazies are just insane for their team and really loud so I’m looking forward to that. I know they’re famous for chanting the names of recruits they want so I don’t know if they’ll chant my name, but of course I would think that was pretty cool. That would be a good feeling. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it.

-bdbd
09-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe Tyus should get his own recruitment thread so people see this? Or perhaps it's too early still. In any event, Crazies better be on their game and chant his name when he visits for CTC (with Jahlil Okafor as well)! (See linked article.) Tyus says he and Jahlil are "planning to play together in college," he's coming off surgery to a torn ligament in his thumb, and is a big Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fan. He's doing a monthly diary entry for USA Today throughout the season.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-point-guard-talks-recruiting-the-fresh-prince-and-more--10011

Epecting to see/hear "Fresh Prince of Cameron" references at CTC....

cbarry
09-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Anyone know if Duke is looking at Gary Clark (http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/133034/gary-clark) from Clayton, NC? I know him personally, and he would be a great fit at Duke. Hard worker, polite, and a great ball player. He is 6'7" and growing. He reminds me of a Jon Henson-type player. He is getting looks from at least a couple ACC schools, and I think he could be All-ACC. I'd love for Duke to land him!

jimsumner
09-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Anyone know if Duke is looking at Gary Clark (http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/133034/gary-clark) from Clayton, NC? I know him personally, and he would be a great fit at Duke. Hard worker, polite, and a great ball player. He is 6'7" and growing. He reminds me of a Jon Henson-type player. He is getting looks from at least a couple ACC schools, and I think he could be All-ACC. I'd love for Duke to land him!

I have not heard his name in connection with Duke.

cbarry
09-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I have not heard his name in connection with Duke.
That's too bad-- do you have any connections who can get a scout to take a look at him play? He'll have recruiters all over him soon. I heard he already got an offer from ?Clemson. He always has said he is open to Duke when I have talked to him, and he encouraged someone from Duke to contact him if they are interested. Just an idea...

Kedsy
09-27-2012, 11:03 AM
That's too bad-- do you have any connections who can get a scout to take a look at him play? He'll have recruiters all over him soon. I heard he already got an offer from ?Clemson. He always has said he is open to Duke when I have talked to him, and he encouraged someone from Duke to contact him if they are interested. Just an idea...

It's not really my place to say it, but you might want to be careful when contacting a recruit.

cbarry
09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
It's not really my place to say it, but you might want to be careful when contacting a recruit.
I hear you! I don't want to do anything that is not 100% legal. I really think this kid deserves a look by Duke. I just don't know the best way to make that happen. Maybe Duke has their eyes on enough players already...

JasonEvans
09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I hear you! I don't want to do anything that is not 100% legal. I really think this kid deserves a look by Duke. I just don't know the best way to make that happen. Maybe Duke has their eyes on enough players already...

The best way to get Duke to notice him is for him to really perform at the big AAU camps and tournaments during the summer. He is high enough ranked and plays on a good enough AAU team so that he will get a chance to perform during the summer AAU season with plenty of recruiting evaluators and coaches watching. If he does well, I am sure Duke will hear about him.

But, for the most part, Duke rarely recruits kids who are not among the top 30 or so players in the class. Gary Clark is nowhere near that kind of ranking at this time (I believe he is just barley among the top 10 players in the state of North Carolina at the moment). It is also worth noting that Duke only recruits kids who have shown the kind of academic achievement and commitment that would allow them to succeed at Duke. So, merely being one of the top 50 or players in the country is not enough.

-Jason "I tend to trust K and his staff to identify all the kids who fit our profile... " Evans

cbarry
09-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Jason. I always appreciate your comments and advice.

phaedrus
09-28-2012, 09:43 AM
But, for the most part, Duke rarely recruits kids who are not among the top 30 or so players in the class.

Yet Marshall Plumlee (#68 on Scout), Tyler Thornton (unranked on Scout), Olek Czyz (87 on ESPN), and Miles Plumlee (47 on ESPN) found their way on the roster. So it happens, not infrequently.

jimsumner
09-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Yet Marshall Plumlee (#68 on Scout), Tyler Thornton (unranked on Scout), Olek Czyz (87 on ESPN), and Miles Plumlee (47 on ESPN) found their way on the roster. So it happens, not infrequently.

Nick Horvath, Andre Buckner, Andre Sweet, Lee Melchionni, David McClure, Marty Pocius . . .

BD80
09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Nick Horvath, Andre Buckner, Andre Sweet, Lee Melchionni, David McClure, Marty Pocius . . .

I hear Nick has been tearing it up in summer pick-up games - playing like a top-10 recruit

dukedoc
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
A blog from Okafor with a bunch of Duke references throughout. As noted elsewhere, coming to CTC with Tyus Jones. And Coach K is more popular than Coach Cal. LINK (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/jahlil-okafor-blog-jabari-parker-pretty-little-liars)

GiveNGoBasketball
10-12-2012, 06:12 PM
The Article: http://www.givengobasketball.com/rashad-vaughn-article

Bob Green
10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
The Article: http://www.givengobasketball.com/rashad-vaughn-article

Instead of just linking to your site, why don't you provide some context. How does Vaughn's specifics skills fit in at Duke? Your article quotes Vaughn as saying he is looking for a team with his style of play, so how about some comments on how his style and Duke's style mesh. There is lots of potential for a symbiotic relationship between your blog and this board, but perhaps you need to step it up just a tad.

GiveNGoBasketball
10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Instead of just linking to your site, why don't you provide some context. How does Vaughn's specifics skills fit in at Duke? Your article quotes Vaughn as saying he is looking for a team with his style of play, so how about some comments on how his style and Duke's style mesh. There is lots of potential for a symbiotic relationship between your blog and this board, but perhaps you need to step it up just a tad.

Yeah sorry I didn't tell you that. Well he is very versatile so Coach can put him in many offensive sets. His basketball I.Q. is off the charts so any team could use a guy like that. Vaughn can fit in at a lot of places.

BlueDevilBrowns
10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Here's Tyus Jones latest blog entry featuring his visit to Duke and UNC last weekend. I find it VERY encouraging:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/tyus-jones-blog-duke-unc-recruiting-visit

-bdbd
10-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Here's Tyus Jones latest blog entry featuring his visit to Duke and UNC last weekend. I find it VERY encouraging:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/tyus-jones-blog-duke-unc-recruiting-visit

Hard to read that blog entry and not get excited about our chances, at least vis-a-vis NC@ch. But he's got a long way to go in this process obviously.

CharlestonDevil
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM

1) After reading that article I feel like every sentence ends in "And then we went back to Duke...."
2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.

Li_Duke
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.

I imagine the UNC fans couldn't have been thrilled to hear about that.

CarmenWallaceWade
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.

"Hey, Coach Williams..where was Zeller standing? Was it right here?"

I know it was all in fun. But I like to play it out in my mind my own way.

BD80
10-25-2012, 04:02 PM
... 2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.

Wonder if any of them tried to do the ol' roy squat on the sidelines (CAUTION: it is important to stretch before attempting this posture!)

loran16
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Am I the only one who felt differently? He talks about how he couldn't root for Carolina in that crowd (as if he would want to otherwise) and how he kept sneaking back to Carolina. And reenacting the Rivers shot is more about reenacting the last big shot on that court, not necessarily seeing yourself in Duke's position.

Regardless, reading into a recruit's feelings from blogs like this has been proven to be silly at best.

MCFinARL
10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Am I the only one who felt differently? He talks about how he couldn't root for Carolina in that crowd (as if he would want to otherwise) and how he kept sneaking back to Carolina. And reenacting the Rivers shot is more about reenacting the last big shot on that court, not necessarily seeing yourself in Duke's position.

Regardless, reading into a recruit's feelings from blogs like this has been proven to be silly at best.

Your last statement is clearly the key here. He said nice things about Duke, and we can feel good about that. In terms of Duke versus Carolina, though, I feel like, in the first part of your post, you are holding a glass half empty while earlier posters are holding one half full. There is probably no reason to conclude that he preferred either school to the other based on the blog.

licc85
10-26-2012, 02:54 AM
I had some serious downtime at work today and I've just been watching mixtapes of several of these guys. I have to say, Tyus Jones really impresses me. He would be the perfect successor to Quinn Cook at point guard. We would be in an amazing shape if we landed him and either Okafor or Pinson. Okafor looks like he's got really soft hands and uses his feet well. He's got great body control for such a big kid. Pinson looks REALLY good too. Crazy athletic, but he's got skill to back it up.

I'd love to get any of these guys, but I'm already in love with Tyus Jones' game. I hope if we get him if we can only land one of them. Hopefully the packaged deal of Jones and Okafor is more than just talk.

Here's my favorite Tyus mixtape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyqJmuBStA

I LOVE that he has that mid range floater. That shot is sooooo important for a smaller guard to have, and he just seems to have a great feel for the game. Granted, it's a highlight tape, but scouting reports on him basically confirm his high level of basketball IQ.

On another note, I've also been watching tape on Andrew Wiggin, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that he and I are of the same species. That dude is from another planet.

yancem
10-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I had some serious downtime at work today and I've just been watching mixtapes of several of these guys. I have to say, Tyus Jones really impresses me. He would be the perfect successor to Quinn Cook at point guard. We would be in an amazing shape if we landed him and either Okafor or Pinson. Okafor looks like he's got really soft hands and uses his feet well. He's got great body control for such a big kid. Pinson looks REALLY good too. Crazy athletic, but he's got skill to back it up.

I'd love to get any of these guys, but I'm already in love with Tyus Jones' game. I hope if we get him if we can only land one of them. Hopefully the packaged deal of Jones and Okafor is more than just talk.

I LOVE that he has that mid range floater. That shot is sooooo important for a smaller guard to have, and he just seems to have a great feel for the game. Granted, it's a highlight tape, but scouting reports on him basically confirm his high level of basketball IQ.

On another note, I've also been watching tape on Andrew Wiggin, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that he and I are of the same species. That dude is from another planet.

That mix tape actually reminds me a little of the mix tape of Irving when he was in high school. Jones seems slightly less explosive but seems to have similar body control and understanding of change of pace.

NSDukeFan
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

That mix tape actually reminds me a little of the mix tape of Irving when he was in high school. Jones seems slightly less explosive but seems to have similar body control and understanding of change of pace.

I like the way Jones uses his body and correct hand to put the ball away from defenders. He also has the running back tuck that Kyrie had. This guy has to be something else for him to be the #1 recruit by some publications at his height and without incredible jumping athleticism. He does appear to be smooth, smooth, smooth with great vision (I love one bounce bass he made in the video on the break to where the offensive player was going) with a great handle and in total control. I think he could use a some help from the coaching staff, Kyrie, Nolan, Austin, Quinn, Seth and Tyler to get to the next level though. I would love to see him at Duke.

ChillinDuke
10-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Didn't feel that way in the slightest. Took his write-up to be very complimentary of Duke (more so than most).

And yes, extremely silly.

- Chillin

gam7
10-26-2012, 02:16 PM

I'd guess you are comparing him to an end-of-senior year Kyrie. Let's remember that Tyus has two more years of high school ball left. Lots of impressive mix tapes to come. He may not be finished growing and undoubtedly will become more explosive over the next couple of years. He's going to be a stud, and the type of player that other guys (as Pinson, Okafor have attested) will enjoy playing with (like Quinn seemed to be during high school). The other thing is that I believe at the same stage in his high school career, Kyrie was playing nowhere near the level at which Tyus is playing (or at least if Kyrie was playing that well, scouts were not noticing).

One other thing about the EYBL. Tyus's numbers were ridiculous. In the Peach Jam (against the best competition), he averaged around 25 per game (shooting close to 66% from the field - just nuts for a PG), with 6-10 assists most games. This was on a team where he was the clear focal point - no other prospects I recognized.

That's all to say that he's pretty good at basketball.

dukedoc
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
VERY interesting snippet from Jahlil

Jason Jordan ‏@JayJayUSATODAY
Jahlil Okafor Blog teaser. "I hate when coaches say 'Dont go set screens at Duke.' I don't even get where people get that from. It's a lie."

CharlestonDevil
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Jahlil Okafor Blog teaser. "I hate when coaches say 'Dont go set screens at Duke.' I don't even get where people get that from. It's a lie."

Would be interesting to know what coaches he had contact with today...

Also believe this shows what a great job our coaching staff does. Jahlil is a big time recruit, so it's good to know that our coaches are accurately portraying the benefits of our system to big guys and guards alike. Also good to know that not every kid buys in to the negative hype.

Duke is the best. Unless you want to get paid at Kentucky. Or establish your "brand" at UNC.

-bdbd
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Would be interesting to know what coaches he had contact with today...

Also believe this shows what a great job our coaching staff does. Jahlil is a big time recruit, so it's good to know that our coaches are accurately portraying the benefits of our system to big guys and guards alike. Also good to know that not every kid buys in to the negative hype.

Duke is the best. Unless you want to get paid at Kentucky. Or establish your "brand" at UNC.

I agree. That was my first reaction - that the Duke staff had prepped him a little in advance of that bit of negative recruiting BS. Here's a partial list of schools that are recruiting him: Arizona, Arkansas, DePaul, Duke, Georgetown, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, NCSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin. I saw recent articles (within the last few weeks) re. contacts with Calipari, ole Roy and Tom Izzo at MSU. The first two have been known to use negative recruiting against Duke, either directly or via surrogates. But who really knows??! Mostly, I'm hoping Mason has a fabulous year this season and blows away that kind of baloney. Give the kid props for calling a spade a spade.

dukedoc
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree. That was my first reaction - that the Duke staff had prepped him a little in advance of that bit of negative recruiting BS. Here's a partial list of schools that are recruiting him: Arizona, Arkansas, DePaul, Duke, Georgetown, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, NCSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin. I saw recent articles (within the last few weeks) re. contacts with Calipari, ole Roy and Tom Izzo at MSU. The first two have been known to use negative recruiting against Duke, either directly or via surrogates. But who really knows??! Mostly, I'm hoping Mason has a fabulous year this season and blows away that kind of baloney. Give the kid props for calling a spade a spade.

Although it's just a snippet taken out of context, this raises my hopes, ever so slightly, that a trifecta of Pinson-Tyus-Jahlil might actually be possible. I've felt quite good about Tyus and Theo, but always have had in the back of my mind regarding Jahlil the whole Duke big man recruiting myth. Would his link to Tyus and the allure of K and Duke really be enough to override the negative recruiting I assumed a big man recruit of his stature would be hearing left and right? The fact that he would go beyond saying the typical pleasantries that we've heard from others about Duke to actually going actively on Duke's defense (almost sounding like one of us fans), to me says a lot. Will be interesting for sure to see how this turns out.

wilko
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Somebody give that young man a pen.....

BD80
10-29-2012, 07:13 PM

"Don't go to Duke and learn how to play big-boy basketball." Let's see, to run a pro-set screen and roll, a player must start with a ....?

Pro coaches LOVE it when the first pick a player ever attempts is in his first NBA practice.

roywhite
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Although it's just a snippet taken out of context, this raises my hopes, ever so slightly, that a trifecta of Pinson-Tyus-Jahlil might actually be possible. I've felt quite good about Tyus and Theo, but always have had in the back of my mind regarding Jahlil the whole Duke big man recruiting myth. Would his link to Tyus and the allure of K and Duke really be enough to override the negative recruiting I assumed a big man recruit of his stature would be hearing left and right? The fact that he would go beyond saying the typical pleasantries that we've heard from others about Duke to actually going actively on Duke's defense (almost sounding like one of us fans), to me says a lot. Will be interesting for sure to see how this turns out.

dukedoc or others....any updates on Justise Winslow? Visit to Duke? Mutual interest level?

After seeing some clips and following the FIBA competition, where he was a stat-sheet stuffer, including rebounds, he's been near the top of my 2014 wish list. Apparently, he's a good student also. Probably a similar position to Theo Pinson, and unlikely we could get both, or want both, based on scholarship numbers and other needs.

dukedoc
10-29-2012, 08:30 PM
dukedoc or others....any updates on Justise Winslow? Visit to Duke? Mutual interest level?

After seeing some clips and following the FIBA competition, where he was a stat-sheet stuffer, including rebounds, he's been near the top of my 2014 wish list. Apparently, he's a good student also. Probably a similar position to Theo Pinson, and unlikely we could get both, or want both, based on scholarship numbers and other needs.

Not sure. I believe he was supposed to come to CTC but then decided to go to Arizona. This article doesn't really mention us much with the exception of Sheed reportedly talking us up to Justise. LINK (http://www.nationalrecruitingspotlight.com/2012/10/23/14-sf-winslow-takes-two-midnight-madness-visits-will-form-list-soon/)

I agree, this guy is a beast. Not sure where we are with him now though.

Cameron
10-29-2012, 10:27 PM

I'd love to know which schools have specifically told him that.

The article mentions that before attending the Carolina-Duke football game in Chapel Hill, Tyus and some of the other recruits that were in the Durham area that weekend for the recruiting trip also attended a Tar Heel practice in the Dean Dome. So, they obviously had been spending some time with the UNC staff that weekend as well. So, when Tyus states that he couldn't exactly cheer for Carolina while sitting with the Duke coaches -- and especially not in the presence of the ultra-competitive Coach Collins, who might have turned in the direction of Tyus and ate him -- he was probably just making a simple joke on the rivalry. That's all I took from that.

I wouldn't be too worried. Considering the flavor-of-the-moment attention spans these kids have today, I wouldn't be surprised if out of his schools of interest -- Duke, North Carolina, Arizona, Baylor, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and UCLA -- Tyus chooses Florida. You just never know anymore.

And Tyus makes a point of mentioning this in his blog post, but I honestly don't see the kid signing with UNC with Marcus Paige and Nate Britt both possibly still on campus in 2014. He says that Roy believes all three point guards bring a different set of skills to the game, and that Carolina's style is conducive to employing multiple point guards throughout a game. I don't see how that would be attractive for a five-star pg who wants to do his thing. If Paige were still there at that point in time, it is almost certain that Tyus Jones would not be playing as point guard. Remember where Jason Williams went to school when Bill Guthridge told Jason Williams, who coming out of high school was adamant that he wanted to play the lead guard position, that they envisioned playing him primarily at shooting guard? I'm sure that's not the only reason Jason picked Duke, but it was a quick way for him to shorten his list.

tommy
10-30-2012, 12:22 AM

It'll be one or the other with regard to Pinson and Winslow, not both. Personally, I'd be very happy with either one.

gumbomoop
10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
...I honestly don't see the kid signing with UNC with Marcus Paige and Nate Britt both possibly still on campus in 2014. He says that Roy believes all three point guards bring a different set of skills to the game, and that Carolina's style is conducive to employing multiple point guards throughout a game. I don't see how that would be attractive for a five-star pg who wants to do his thing.

Both Duke and UNC have a "problem" re Jones. UNC's problem is probably a little larger.

UNC - As Cameron observes, by the 2014-15 season, Jones's frosh year, UNC will have 2 experienced, fairly highly rated PGs: junior Paige and soph Britt. It's possible, but unlikely, that one or the other would by then have departed for the NBA [or maybe UCLA]. Roy has a difficult selling job, as that's a lot of experience with which Jones would have to compete for PT. I've no doubt he'd win plenty of minutes, but he's gonna want to play major, major [25-30, at least] minutes. If he's still #1 recruit, or even top 3-5, in his class, he'll be thinking 1-done. To be sure, if Jones, Paige, and Britt somehow shared the PG and wing/SG minutes - each getting 27 mpg - that would be an exciting backcourt on O. D? Hard to say. And not hard to say that 1 of those 3 wouldn't play any PG.

Duke - Similar problem, only different. Will Quinn Cook become a star by end of his junior season, and leave for NBA before Jones's matriculation to Duke? Or will Quinn become "merely" a very solid PG, quite good, thank you, but still sticking around for his senior season in 2014-15?

Jones will know more about his competition at Duke and UNC after this, 2012-13, season. But he might not know quite enough to be totally comfortable making a decision between Duke and UNC until Spring 2014. If those 2 universities are still in, say, his top 3 a year from now, I'd be a little surprised to see him commit in Fall 2013.

That is, commit to either Duke or UNC. I suspect, and regret, that several of the other schools Jones is considering will have less complicated situations at PG by the 2014-15 season.

Unless...... To end on a more optimistic note, we can hope Quinn is a solid PG this season, leading Duke to the NC [why not?], then shepherds a younger squad in 2013-14 toward a repeat, and heads off to the NBA, his stock as high as it can get. Presto: welcome Tyus and Jahlil.

superdave
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-junior-center-jahlil-okafor-duke-visit-basketball-season

dukedoc
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-junior-center-jahlil-okafor-duke-visit-basketball-season

Again, impressed with his calling out other coaches for negative recruiting and confirming the fact that Duke doesn't talk about other schools. Furthermore, the fact that that is so important to him that he would include it in his blog is very interesting. Sounds like a Duke kind of guy.

Dev11
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Again, impressed with his calling out other coaches for negative recruiting and confirming the fact that Duke doesn't talk about other schools. Furthermore, the fact that that is so important to him that he would include it in his blog is very interesting. Sounds like a Duke kind of guy.

What say you, Jahlil?

I don’t know what they’re watching because I’ve never thought big men did that at Duke. I look at Mason and they always get him the ball. Then Duke showed me how they helped develop Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer and Christian Laettner and other guys. They put lots of big men in the league so that’s just a lie when people say that.

Jahlil Okafor was born after Christian Laettner graduated from college. It says a lot about the kid that he recognizes that the last 3-5 years are not the only years on K's resume.

NSDukeFan
10-30-2012, 04:44 PM
What say you, Jahlil?

Jahlil Okafor was born after Christian Laettner graduated from college. It says a lot about the kid that he recognizes that the last 3-5 years are not the only years on K's resume.

Realizing of course that in the last 6 years where Duke hasn't had as many good bigs as we might hope, Josh McRoberts, Lance Thomas, Miles Plumlee have been bigs to go pro from Duke, with Mason to follow next year and perhaps Ryan. This also doesn't include Zoubek, who had himself a pretty impressive senior season and had some pro opportunities, before injuries limited him.

Mike Corey
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd love to know which schools have specifically told him that.

They do more than say it. They prepare selectively edited videos of our big men setting picks.

And I'm sure that it's more than just one coach, daggum it.

juise
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM

But you would never name names. ;)

Cameron
10-31-2012, 09:18 AM
They do more than say it. They prepare selectively edited videos of our big men setting picks.

Haha. It sure would be interesting to be a can of Coca-Cola in one of those video rooms.

And due to the kid's seemingly glistening character, I doubt Jahlil will ever publicly offer any of the juicy details -- maybe others have and I just haven't seen them -- but I wonder what other kinds of dirty tactics and straight-up fraudlent ancedotes are buzzing around about us from the lips of coaches at elite schools and Baylor.

Mike Corey
10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
That our big men exclusively set picks is the innocuous stuff.

The ugly stuff echoes Jalen Rose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brEOkSj92qc).

Native
10-31-2012, 09:41 PM
FWIW, per Clint Jackson (https://twitter.com/clintjackson1/status/263758525451341824):

Duke is going to be tough to beat for Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. More coming in the next few days.

dukeballboy88
10-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Im just sitting here thinking about things that probly wont happen but its good for conversation purposes.

Cal Shady maybe on the way to delivering a monster recruiting class for next year if he lands Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins. Pair them with the Harrison twins and James Young and thats hard to beat.

2014 could be a monster class for Coach K if he lands Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Theo Pinson.

If all of the above happen, wich would be a better class?

FerryFor50
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Im just sitting here thinking about things that probly wont happen but its good for conversation purposes.

Cal Shady maybe on the way to delivering a monster recruiting class for next year if he lands Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins. Pair them with the Harrison twins and James Young and thats hard to beat.

2014 could be a monster class for Coach K if he lands Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Theo Pinson.

If all of the above happen, wich would be a better class?

Definitely the Kentucky class.

Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron. The rest is just gravy if he lands Wiggins.

Class of '94
10-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Definitely the Kentucky class.

Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron. The rest is just gravy if he lands Wiggins.

I thought Jabari Parker was the best recruit since Lebron. :D

But I agree with you that KY would have the better class based on the quality of players as well as the sheer number of players Cal would potentially bring in for just one class. And don't forget Marcus Lee verballed to KY for next year as well.

Jderf
11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron.

I thought Jabari Parker was the best recruit since Lebron. :D

Wrong on both counts. They're only really the best two recruits since Harrison Barnes.

jimsumner
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Wrong on both counts. They're only really the best two recruits since Harrison Barnes.

Just like we have the storm of the century every few years, we have the best high-school player ever every few years.

That said, the Duke coaches really, really like Jabari Parker and think he would be a perfect fit at Duke, on and off the court.

FerryFor50
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Just like we have the storm of the century every few years, we have the best high-school player ever every few years.

That said, the Duke coaches really, really like Jabari Parker and think he would be a perfect fit at Duke, on and off the court.

I would like to see Andrew Wiggins in a Duke jersey, too... but that won't happen.

I think Parker would be a great fit at Duke, but I think Wiggins is the better player.

FerryFor50
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM

I stand corrected!

dukedoc
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I would like to see Andrew Wiggins in a Duke jersey, too... but that won't happen.

I think Parker would be a great fit at Duke, but I think Wiggins is the better player.

It kind of depends on how one gauges the caliber of a player. Wiggins may be the better athlete and more dynamic on the court, but it's possible that Jabari would be better in terms of intangibles -- leadership, personality in the locker room, etc. I can't say, as I don't know much about Andrew's personality and temperament, but Jabari seems incredibly mature and balanced, which would likely add a lot to his overall contributions should he come to Duke. Both great players. Hopefully Jabari will come to Durham.

BD80
11-01-2012, 02:00 PM

But are either as good as the black pigeon believes himself to be? Could anyone be that good?

It kind of depends on how one gauges the caliber of a player. Wiggins may be the better athlete and more dynamic on the court, but it's possible that Jabari would be better in terms of intangibles -- leadership, personality in the locker room, etc. I can't say, as I don't know much about Andrew's personality and temperament, but Jabari seems incredibly mature and balanced, which would likely add a lot to his overall contributions should he come to Duke. Both great players. Hopefully Jabari will come to Durham.

Amen. I like to think that Duke athletes receive at least as much as they contribute. Wiggins might be a star for a year, but I think Parker has that quality that the special Duke players have, the kind of quality that Kyrie, Shane and Grant have (and more than a few others). Coach K could elevate Jabari to that level.

licc85
11-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Just read this blog post about Tyus Jones' final eight schools. The last few paragraphs where he talks about teaming up with Jahlil Okafor is really encouraging, especially when it talks about how much both of them enjoyed their visit to Duke.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/11/03/tyus-jones-narrows-list-to-8/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

devildeac
11-04-2012, 06:59 AM

I'd throw in a little (Seth) Curry for seasoning. But he's not from the west coast. Sorry.

gumbomoop
11-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm wondering how UNC's in-hand class of 2013 - Britt, Hicks, and now Meeks - might affect Roy's chances with Jones and Okafor [class of 2014]. I'll hope it suggests Roy thinks he's not ahead for Jones or Okafor. He's stockpiled 2 solid/high rated PGs: Paige, a Jr. in 14-15 season, and Britt, a Soph then. And up front, he'll have Johnson, Hicks, Hubert, James, and Meeks.

I've no doubt that both Jones and Okafor would move ahead of their competition in the Heels' depth-chart, but if Roy can convince Jones and Okafor to come to CH, I'd have to say that "stockpile" would be an understatement.

Nice to hear positive comments last few weeks re Duke from Jones and Okafor. Very important recruits. [I know, hardly a great insight there.....]

English
12-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Karl Towns popped for UK this morning, at a presser that some recruiting guys compared to the production value of an NBA presser.

I include this in the 2014 recruiting thread because he simultaneously announced his decision to reclassify (2015 --> 2014). Some good news to distract the Big Blue fanbase from the stench of failure in Lexington these days.

jimrowe0
12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Karl Towns popped for UK this morning, at a presser that some recruiting guys compared to the production value of an NBA presser.

I include this in the 2014 recruiting thread because he simultaneously announced his decision to reclassify (2015 --> 2014). Some good news to distract the Big Blue fanbase from the stench of failure in Lexington these days.

Hopefully Towns commitment to Kentucky leads Jahlil Okafor toward Duke.

English
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Hopefully Towns commitment to Kentucky leads Jahlil Okafor toward Duke.

Will be interesting to see, for curiosity purposes if no other reason, what Towns' presence in the 2014 class does to the top of the class recruit rankings.

dchen09
12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Well Calipari has shown that he can and will play 2 talented front court players together in Nerlens and Cauley. Granted Cauley is significantly less well regarded compared to Nerlens. Even their strengths/weaknesses supposedly overlap.

Actually it sounds like they can play together rather well. Karl Towns seems to be more of a high post perimeter oriented game. Okafor on the other hand is more of a classic back to the basket low post bruiser.

English
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
ESPN slid Towns to #3 in their 2014 rankings, behind both Okafor and Tyus Jones.

Lennies
12-04-2012, 03:01 PM
How does a *sophmore* decide to reclassify to a year earlier?

roywhite
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
How does a *sophmore* decide to reclassify to a year earlier?

Don't know the exact facts here, but in many cases the individual may have already stretched out his high school eligibility, and is now returning to a normal graduation target.

For example, the player started off to school many years with a group of kids who were scheduled to graduate in 2014; the player may have transferred to a prep school or repeated a year and became class of 2015. He now says....no, I can finish my requirements by 2014 and graduate with the group I originally started with.

ChillinDuke
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

I'm sure we had discussed this in a previous thread (maybe even this thread), but Towns played on the Dominican Republic National Team (in Olympic qualifying) which was coached by John Calipari.

I don't mean to insinuate that this was any kind of recruiting violation. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't given the very public nature of it. But on the surface it certainly seems like an unfair recruiting advantage. And yes, I would argue there is a very distinct difference between Coach K's Olympic interactions and Calipari's in this instance - mainly, because the head coach at the University of Kentucky coached a high school kid who was interested in his own school. Almost certainly, this had to be with intent of directing Towns to UK. At least to some degree.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'...

- Chillin

PS - To clarify what I'm thinking, can a college coach spend his summers coaching high school AAU games? Then just return to his college? How is it not improper contact?

flyingdutchdevil
12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm sure we had discussed this in a previous thread (maybe even this thread), but Towns played on the Dominican Republic National Team (in Olympic qualifying) which was coached by John Calipari.

I don't mean to insinuate that this was any kind of recruiting violation. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't given the very public nature of it. But on the surface it certainly seems like an unfair recruiting advantage. And yes, I would argue there is a very distinct difference between Coach K's Olympic interactions and Calipari's in this instance - mainly, because the head coach at the University of Kentucky coached a high school kid who was interested in his own school. Almost certainly, this had to be with intent of directing Towns to UK. At least to some degree.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'...

- Chillin

PS - To clarify what I'm thinking, can a college coach spend his summers coaching high school AAU games? Then just return to his college? How is it not improper contact?

I have to completely disagree with you. IMO, while I don't think that Coach K's presence with Team USA violates anything, it does give Coach K an advantage in recruiting. Everyone on this forum thinks so (how can a picture with 12 gold medals around your neck surrounded by Lebron, Kobe, and Dwayne not help you recruit?).

Dominican Republic isn't a basketball powerhouse. If they can get a solid coach with a great name, like Calipari, then good for them! They need the press and Calipari wants to expand his profile. And if Calipari builds tight connections with a high school who happens to be the best big man in the country? Than so be it. Now, if Calipari coached Team USA and had Julius Randle, Tyus Jones, and Jahill Okafor in his line-up, then yes, that would be a complete violation and a snake-like move. But DR isn't Team USA.

I don't like Calipari, but he is doing everything right on the recruiting end (as long as he's playing within the rules). If the NBA / NCAA allows one-and-dones, then why not use that strategy. In the business world, that is one hell of a strategy.

wilko
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I have to completely disagree with you. IMO, while I don't think that Coach K's presence with Team USA violates anything, it does give Coach K an advantage in recruiting. Everyone on this forum thinks so (how can a picture with 12 gold medals around your neck surrounded by Lebron, Kobe, and Dwayne not help you recruit?).

It don't hurt, but then I'm not sure how much it helps either... A picture is nice, but its not the same thing as one of the dudes you noted above saying definitively saying publicly on the record "Son, Duke is the place you need to be"... it doesn't have to be directed at a specific recruit just having that out there to ANY potential prospect...

The association between USA players isn't as close and as strong as I would have hoped it would be as it impacts Dukes recruiting. I would have hoped for more obvious and stronger endorsements of K and Duke.

I would have hoped that we would drawn more international players as well.

But as it is we aint hurting exactly... I just hoped for more...

jimsumner
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Dominican Republic isn't a basketball powerhouse. If they can get a solid coach with a great name, like Calipari, then good for them! They need the press and Calipari wants to expand his profile. And if Calipari builds tight connections with a high school who happens to be the best big man in the country? Than so be it. Now, if Calipari coached Team USA and had Julius Randle, Tyus Jones, and Jahill Okafor in his line-up, then yes, that would be a complete violation and a snake-like move. But DR isn't Team USA.

I don't like Calipari, but he is doing everything right on the recruiting end (as long as he's playing within the rules). If the NBA / NCAA allows one-and-dones, then why not use that strategy. In the business world, that is one hell of a strategy.

Well, Krzyzewski isn't recruiting any of these guys. So, not the same thing.

I do see some irony here. When K took over his national-team responsibilities, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. This was going to kill Duke recruiting, just kill it. It was going to wear him out, he wasn't going to be able to go to camps, scout the AAU circuit. Doom and gloom.

Now, it's an unalloyed benefit. Interesting.

ChillinDuke
12-04-2012, 06:56 PM

To me, there is a key difference between the two. (And again, I'm not saying there is a violation. Clearly, there is not by the letter of the law.)

With K, he is coaching an Olympic team with no high schoolers and any perceived advantage is indirect in nature. With Cal, he is coaching a high schooler directly. In K's situation, it's a resume builder in the sense that it's just another talking point/example of why you should play for him. With Cal, it's the same thing, but additionally he is developing a direct and undeniable relationship with a high schooler outside of the context of "normal" recruiting (calls, texts, visits, etc).

My point is, as you say above, Coach K's presence with Team USA gives him a suspected advantage in recruiting. However, in this instance, Coach Cal has a tangible, direct advantage in recruiting. A picture is all fine and good and I agree it helps, but Cal is talking with, coaching, traveling with, confiding in this kid.

I don't care what team it is. USA, DR, Azerbaijan, whatever. If you are coaching a high schooler while an active, employed coach of a college team, that would seem to me a direct recruiting advantage and thus something that I would have expected to be prohibited by the spirit of the law.

Again, clearly this is not a recruiting violation of any sort. I'm just not sure why. As I said previously, how is this any different from a college coach moonlighting as an AAU coach? Surely that's not allowed. Is it?

I could certainly be wrong about any/all of this as this topic is not my strong suit.

- Chillin

Class of '94
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
It don't hurt, but then I'm not sure how much it helps either... A picture is nice, but its not the same thing as one of the dudes you noted above saying definitively saying publicly on the record "Son, Duke is the place you need to be"... it doesn't have to be directed at a specific recruit just having that out there to ANY potential prospect...

The association between USA players isn't as close and as strong as I would have hoped it would be as it impacts Dukes recruiting. I would have hoped for more obvious and stronger endorsements of K and Duke.

I would have hoped that we would drawn more international players as well.

But as it is we aint hurting exactly... I just hoped for more...

To be fair, most of the USA/NBA came from college and did not attend Duke. So out of respect for their respective colleges, I get why they may not give Duke a ringing endorsement. That said, K has received an enormous amount of favorable reviews from all of the players (especially, Kobe, Lebron and Chris Paul). Heck, even CP3 said that it was hard for him publicly admit the fact that he loves K because he's a Wake Forest guy. And I think K is very selective when it comes to international players. That said, I too would've loved the USA exposure to have an even greater positive effect for Duke; but as many have pointed out and K, himself has said so as well, guys choose colleges for different reason; and some view college as merely a stop-over as they make their way to the NBA.

moonpie23
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
but those guys ARE giving pretty much a "ringing endorsement".......just about every time a mic goes in their face they're saying great things about K...

the deal is, when you play for k, you play for DUKE AND K.......there are some extenuating circumstances that go along with that that some kids just aren't into...

sagegrouse
12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Again, clearly this is not a recruiting violation of any sort. I'm just not sure why. As I said previously, how is this any different from a college coach moonlighting as an AAU coach? Surely that's not allowed. Is it?

I could certainly be wrong about any/all of this as this topic is not my strong suit.

- Chillin

It's not my strong suit either, but let me surmise: Kentucky and Calipari cleared everything about the Olympics with the NCAA. If the NCAA had disapproved, he would not have placed Towns on the team.

If Calipari had wanted to coach an AAU team with prospects on it, Kentucky would have asked the NCAA, which would have said, "Hell no!" And he would not have done it.

It's a regulatory regime with rules that on the surface seem sensible but in detail can be very difficult to understand. All the schools have compliance directors who talk to the NCAA all the time. At Kentucky, it may be every ten minutes -- who knows?

sagegrouse

Orange&BlackSheep
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
My point is, as you say above, Coach K's presence with Team USA gives him a suspected advantage in recruiting. However, in this instance, Coach Cal has a tangible, direct advantage in recruiting. A picture is all fine and good and I agree it helps, but Cal is talking with, coaching, traveling with, confiding in this kid.

- Chillin

The kid also could have discovered what an arse Calipari is and looked elsewhere.

Just sayin'

Orange & Black Sheep

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 01:23 AM
To me, there is a key difference between the two. (And again, I'm not saying there is a violation. Clearly, there is not by the letter of the law.)

With K, he is coaching an Olympic team with no high schoolers and any perceived advantage is indirect in nature. With Cal, he is coaching a high schooler directly. In K's situation, it's a resume builder in the sense that it's just another talking point/example of why you should play for him. With Cal, it's the same thing, but additionally he is developing a direct and undeniable relationship with a high schooler outside of the context of "normal" recruiting (calls, texts, visits, etc).

I don't care what team it is. USA, DR, Azerbaijan, whatever. If you are coaching a high schooler while an active, employed coach of a college team, that would seem to me a direct recruiting advantage and thus something that I would have expected to be prohibited by the spirit of the law.

- Chillin

We merely have to agree to disagree. Scenario: Coach K is born in Toronto. He loves his country. He wants to coach Team Canada. His PG is Nash. Big men are Dalembert and Tristan Thompson. SG is Cory Joseph. But, somehow, the best SF is Andrew Wiggins, a phenom HS player. Canada isn't a basketball powerhouse. Should K not play Wiggins because he has a recruiting advantage in that position? Should K play another player because he thinks it's "fair"? IMO, I would think it's BS not to play the best line-up possible. Coach K had the privilege of coaching the best team with the best players. A lot of teams, DR included, don't have that. Play the best you have. And, if you happen to coach an HSer, then so be it. I hate Kentucky, and I think Calipari is a sleaze bag, but he, IMO, isn't doing anything wrong. Calipari should coach whatever international team he sees fit. Thinking otherwise is putting on your dark blue glasses.

If your saying that no international coach should use HS players, then I think you're wrong. If you're saying that Calipari used the DR job to get HS players, then I think you're being shortsighted and bitter. It's a tactic. DR asked Calipari, Calipari said yes. Not the other way around. Like Coach K coaching Team USA, everyone has their strategy.

And lastly, the AAU coach situation doesn't pertain. Why is Coach K coaching Team USA not moonlighting, but Calipari coaching DR is moonlighting? I really don't get the distinction.

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, Krzyzewski isn't recruiting any of these guys. So, not the same thing.

I do see some irony here. When K took over his national-team responsibilities, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. This was going to kill Duke recruiting, just kill it. It was going to wear him out, he wasn't going to be able to go to camps, scout the AAU circuit. Doom and gloom.

Now, it's an unalloyed benefit. Interesting.

Jim, I love your points, but I am not arguing any of the above. Someone said that Calipari is gaining an advantage. I say, "Okay, so what? Over coaches gain an advantage coaching internationally."

If we feel that Calipari is gaining an advantage because he's coaching a mediocre team that needs to use HS talent to compete, then I argue we're being short-sighted. Coach K didn't, and never will, have that handicap. But don't penalize a coach for coaching a sub-par team and providing a team with publicity. IMO, that's basketball.

nocilla
12-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Didn't we have some college coaches working with the FIBA U-18, U-17 national teams? I don't remember there being any concerns then.

For example, take a look at these rosters and their coaches; http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/mu18_2012.html
and http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/mu18_2010.html.

BD80
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
... Scenario: Coach K is born in Toronto. He loves his country. He wants to coach

... If you're saying that Calipari used the DR job to get HS players, then I think you're being shortsighted and bitter. It's a tactic. DR asked Calipari, Calipari said yes. Not the other way around. Like Coach K coaching Team USA, everyone has their strategy. ...

calipari was born in the Dominican Republic? His ONLY connection was a recruit. The DR olympic committee was smart to take advantage of the connection, but calipari is a slimeball to use the situation to his advantage.

The saintly cal jettisoned the team's best player, Charlie Villanueva, to clear playing time for his recruit. How did that benefit the team?

Skitzle
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
calipari was born in the Dominican Republic? His ONLY connection was a recruit. The DR olympic committee was smart to take advantage of the connection, but calipari is a slimeball to use the situation to his advantage.

The saintly cal jettisoned the team's best player, Charlie Villanueva, to clear playing time for his recruit. How did that benefit the team?

Yes, Cal Jettisoned CV for KTowns but CV was NOT the best player, Al Horford was.

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM

I disagree with the notion that you have to be born in a country to be a legitimate coach of that country. Look at international soccer - the vast majority of tier 2 teams and below. Calipari's main motive may have been recruitment, but I'd argue that the DR Olympic team got much more than Calipari (Calipari got one recruit, DR got tons of positive publicity).

I didn't know that about Charlie V. I just googled it and saw that he was cut for being overweight. No idea of the legitimacy behind this. But, in all fairness, this is Charlie V - a squirrel would probably get playing time over him!

ChillinDuke
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Completely fine to disagree. And please do not take this post as anything more than furthering the conversation.

We merely have to agree to disagree. Scenario: Coach K is born in Toronto. He loves his country. He wants to coach Team Canada. His PG is Nash. Big men are Dalembert and Tristan Thompson. SG is Cory Joseph. But, somehow, the best SF is Andrew Wiggins, a phenom HS player. Canada isn't a basketball powerhouse. Should K not play Wiggins because he has a recruiting advantage in that position? Should K play another player because he thinks it's "fair"?

I'm not doubting the fairness in Cal playing Towns. I'm not saying he definitively shouldn't have picked Towns to play on DR. That is not and was not my point. My point is that I don't understand how the NCAA didn't say, "Hey Cal, you cannot coach the DR team because it gives you direct and obvious contact with a HS recruit (even regardless of the fact that the recruit has UK in his final 5) and a recruiting advantage that other coaches in the country don't have. You get your 5 calls per week, 10 texts, 1 OV, 1 in-home, etc. You can't coach him." I agree with you that, once Cal and a national team mutually agree on him coaching, he should not be barred from choosing and playing the best players. My problem is not with DR, it's with the NCAA rule that clearly allowed this.

IMO, I would think it's BS not to play the best line-up possible. Coach K had the privilege of coaching the best team with the best players. A lot of teams, DR included, don't have that. Play the best you have. And, if you happen to coach an HSer, then so be it.

This is in no way related to my point and is more or less a fact, how can I disagree? Again, my problem is not with Cal's selection or usage of his team. He should have free reign once given the reigns. He should not have free reign over the NCAA just because he got a gig as a national coach. No way. Not K, not Cal, not any college coach. Doesn't work like that. Olympic Teams do not supersede the NCAA. They are independent entities, at least I would assume. Coaching the DR doesn't suddenly absolve you of following NCAA recruiting rules.

I hate Kentucky, and I think Calipari is a sleaze bag, but he, IMO, isn't doing anything wrong. Calipari should coach whatever international team he sees fit. Thinking otherwise is putting on your dark blue glasses.

Agreed. As I've stated many times, he has committed no violation. And as Sage pointed out, I'm sure UK cleared all this with the NCAA - hence, no violation. But I'm still unclear as to why this is not a violation. And the (supposed) fact that Towns was one of the best DR players and thus selected for his national team still does not explain why it's not a violation. Again, the events are independent.

If your saying that no international coach should use HS players, then I think you're wrong.

I'm not saying this.

If you're saying that Calipari used the DR job to get HS players, then I think you're being shortsighted and bitter. It's a tactic. DR asked Calipari, Calipari said yes. Not the other way around. Like Coach K coaching Team USA, everyone has their strategy.

I am not sayin' this. Just sayin' this: It's certainly fishy that Calipari, who I have never heard has any tie to the DR, was asked to coach a DR team with the #1 sophomore in the country being a viable option to play for them. Coincidence? I think any reasonable person would find this to be a very unlikely coincidence. Possible? Of course. Unlikely? Absolutely.

And lastly, the AAU coach situation doesn't pertain. Why is Coach K coaching Team USA not moonlighting, but Calipari coaching DR is moonlighting? I really don't get the distinction.

Because there is no conflict of interest in K's case. Generally speaking, college coaches are free to do as they choose so long as there is no conflict with the NCAA regarding the recruitment of HS players. As soon as something pops up that can be even remotely construed as a conflict (see: Shabazz Muhammed getting a trip paid for by a family friend, presumably pre-cleared by the NCAA), it impacts the player's eligibility and prompts an NCAA investigation. In Cal's case there is a clear conflict. His responsibility to select and coach the DR team to the highest level of ability/competition possible does not, and should not, absolve him of his responsibility to the NCAA to recruit HS players according to the spirit of the law (meaning no improper recruiting).

According to the letter of the law, and as Sage alluded to regarding the confusing details of NCAA rules, this is not improper recruiting. But I still don't understand (and likely never will) why.

- Chillin

wilko
12-05-2012, 10:02 AM
but those guys ARE giving pretty much a "ringing endorsement".......just about every time a mic goes in their face they're saying great things about K...

the deal is, when you play for k, you play for DUKE AND K.......there are some extenuating circumstances that go along with that that some kids just aren't into...

In the same vein of Carlins theory on profanity "If you think 4 letter words have lost their shock value, you just aren't using enough of them" kinda the same with statements to positively impact recruiting.

Profuse and numerous enough to negate those "extenuating circumstances" to get them into it...

I didnt say the USA players have nothing good to say... it just hasn't had the distinct tangible impact I had hoped it would. Maybe it has and I cant see it...

ChillinDuke
12-05-2012, 10:11 AM

I didn't know this either.

6'11" 27 year-old Charlie just must not have been able to keep up with 6'11" 33 year-old Josh Asselin of Michigan Wolverine fame. The type of fame that came from his 9.6ppg/6.0rpg senior season, saw him undrafted, and currently plays for 1-9 Assignia Manresa in the Spanish league (last place in the league table). Josh does rack up 10ppg and 3+ rpg.

- Chillin

jimsumner
12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Jim, I love your points, but I am not arguing any of the above. Someone said that Calipari is gaining an advantage. I say, "Okay, so what? Over coaches gain an advantage coaching internationally."

If we feel that Calipari is gaining an advantage because he's coaching a mediocre team that needs to use HS talent to compete, then I argue we're being short-sighted. Coach K didn't, and never will, have that handicap. But don't penalize a coach for coaching a sub-par team and providing a team with publicity. IMO, that's basketball.

There's a difference between a college coach coaching an international team that includes high-school players said coach might recruit and a college coach coaching an international team that consists of professional players he cannot recruit.

This seems to me to be a significant difference.

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
There's a difference between a college coach coaching an international team that includes high-school players said coach might recruit and a college coach coaching an international team that consists of professional players he cannot recruit.

This seems to me to be a significant difference.

So what's the solution? If DR cannot get NBA coaches to help out (which I assume such a low profile team cannot), who should they look to? I feel that college coaches are the next best thing.

Billy Dat
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Didn't we have some college coaches working with the FIBA U-18, U-17 national teams? I don't remember there being any concerns then.

For example, take a look at these rosters and their coaches; http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/mu18_2012.html
and http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/mu18_2010.html.

Great call, I was thinking the same thing. Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Shaka Smart had prime access to these players, including undecideds like Julius Randle. How is it any different than Calipari and the DR National Team?

ChillinDuke
12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
So what's the solution? If DR cannot get NBA coaches to help out (which I assume such a low profile team cannot), who should they look to? I feel that college coaches are the next best thing.

The problem is not with DR. DR can do as they see fit to improve their "profile" or publicity or competitiveness. Whatever.

The problem is with Cal / the NCAA. There is a conflict of interest in letting a college coach recruit and coach the same player. It is a clear conflict in my mind, not so in the rules.

DR is not subject to these rules. Cal and Kentucky are.

- Chillin

tommy
12-05-2012, 12:10 PM
If you're saying that Calipari used the DR job to get HS players, then I think you're being shortsighted and bitter.

No he's not. I think you're being naive. You think it was just an accident that of all the countries in the world that he could've coached, he just happened to select, or get selected by, the one country that had a hugely talented high school big man who was at the top of everyone's recruiting list for 2015, and that Calipari had a huge, huge incentive to want to get closer to and gain advantage for his services? Just a coincidence? I think not.

If this was all just altruism on Calipari's part, with no intent to gain a recruiting advantage, then I guess we should expect him to coach the DR again in the next Olympics, right? Want to bet any folding money that doesn't happen???

It's a tactic. DR asked Calipari, Calipari said yes. Not the other way around.

And you know that . . . how exactly? In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts it was Calipari who sought out the job.

You really don't? For the reasons cited by other posters already: Coach K was not recruiting, or interested in recruiting, any of the players on the USA team to play at Duke.

ChillinDuke
12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Great call, I was thinking the same thing. Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Shaka Smart had prime access to these players, including undecideds like Julius Randle. How is it any different than Calipari and the DR National Team?

This is a great point. I had forgotten this; I'm not sure how it's allowed either. Definitely a parallel between the two situations.

My first guess would be that a U-## Team has to by definition be high school players. A national team does not have to be high school players (and almost always won't be). So I'm sure there are clear guidelines that a college coach must follow in order to coach these teams.

But it still seems largely in the same basket as the DR issue.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
No he's not. I think you're being naive. You think it was just an accident that of all the countries in the world that he could've coached, he just happened to select, or get selected by, the one country that had a hugely talented high school big man who was at the top of everyone's recruiting list for 2015, and that Calipari had a huge, huge incentive to want to get closer to and gain advantage for his services? Just a coincidence? I think not.

Like you, I guarantee that a portion of Calipari taking the job was recruiting. To say what that portion is is merely speculation. With Coach K, obviously Lebron wasn't going to play for Duke. But if you're saying that improving the Duke brand - and by association recruiting - wasn't a reason to take the Team USA job, then you too are being naive. Have you seen DukeBluePlanet and all the interviews with NBA All-Stars? That's not a recruiting tactic? I have absolutely no issue with it.

If this was all just altruism on Calipari's part, with no intent to gain a recruiting advantage, then I guess we should expect him to coach the DR again in the next Olympics, right? Want to bet any folding money that doesn't happen???

This is speculation. Neither of us know. Calipari coached the DR for both 2011 and 2012. Wouldn't he only need one year to solidify one prospect?

And you know that . . . how exactly? In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts it was Calipari who sought out the job.

Article: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/05/john-calipari-dominican-republic-kentucky/1#.UL-gxYM8CSo. I'm sure you're not going to believe it because it's Calipari, though.

You really don't? For the reasons cited by other posters already: Coach K was not recruiting, or interested in recruiting, any of the players on the USA team to play at Duke.

Coach K knew the positive externalities that would arise from coaching Team USA. Again, please see the DukeBluePlanet videos.

Again, I don't like Calipari. His history of violations alone is ridiculous. But, so far, with Kentucky, he has done everything right, at least to the knowledge of the fans and the media. He created a niche market (recruiting one-and-dones) and is, hands down, the best recruiter in the game. However, I like Coach K's strategy better because I don't like the one-and-done rule and love watching players develop. Calipari will continue to take players that Duke wants, but Coach K is smarter than Calipari and has proven that Calipari's hoarding of freshman talent is merely a small hurdle for Coach K to jump over.

Dev11
12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I hadn't thought before about the benefits that the coaches of the U- teams get, but it makes sense, and actually seems to be even less in the spirit of the rules than the road that Calipari took. Coach K gets a lot of positive press from the Senior Team gig, but I wonder which scenario is more effective:

Coach X begins x's and o's discussion during in-home visit by saying, "Hey Top Recruit, check out this little ball fake Lebron does, I bet you could do that for us..."
Coach Y begins x's and o's discussion during in-home visit by saying, "Hey Top Recruit, remember that little ball fake I taught you this summer, I bet we could work on that even more..."

I don't know that I'm convinced one way or the other. Some kids might really prefer Coach Y because he's a little more personal, whereas Coach X, while he has a great resume, is more distant.

Interesting discussion, whatever your opinion. I don't think Calipari is violating any rules and personally think he's wasting a lot of would-be recruiting time if he's only going after one kid for two summers, particularly if that one kid is going to play more games for Cal in a DR uniform than in a UK uniform.

Billy Dat
12-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Have some, Cal!

http://instagram.com/p/S4FuqQxh0W/

Billy Dat
12-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Have some, Cal!

Even better with the tweet from the King himself

LeBron James ‏@KingJames
My 2 mentors in life! K & Jay http://instagr.am/p/S4PPMeCTA2/

juise
12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Have some, Cal!

Kentucky has ethics issues. I feel bad for them, son.
Duke's got 99 problems, but a shady coach ain't one.

Billy Dat
12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Kentucky has ethics issues. I feel bad for them, son.
Duke's got 99 problems, but a shady coach ain't one.

You, Cal, think your little recruits can play me?
I'm from Durham, I'm varsity, chump, you're JV

Starter
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I spent some time with Karl Towns yesterday for a profile I'm writing. Man, what a great kid. I told him this, but the sad part for me is that I could have seen him at Duke in a second. He's personable, intelligent and mature beyond his years. And I watched a little of practice, and he can do it all: slashing, shot blocking, long-range shooting. (He hit six of seven threes in a scrimmage by my count, and he told me he was disappointed because he "really wanted to hit them all.") In a 1-on-1 drill, the kid he was guarding scored over him, and his teammates busted on him a little. Towns laughed and said, "I want him to hit that shot!" Just a refreshing kid, who you're going to love watching, even if he picked the wrong royal blue.

The worst part? He told me Duke was "definitely in [his] top 2." I always thought he was going to go to UK based on his relationship with Calipari from the Dominican team -- note: I found nothing wrong with that -- but I'm starting to wonder if we were a lot closer than I thought we were here.

CarmenWallaceWade
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I spent some time with Karl Towns yesterday for a profile I'm writing. Man, what a great kid. I told him this, but the sad part for me is that I could have seen him at Duke in a second. He's personable, intelligent and mature beyond his years. And I watched a little of practice, and he can do it all: slashing, shot blocking, long-range shooting. (He hit six of seven threes in a scrimmage by my count, and he told me he was disappointed because he "really wanted to hit them all.") In a 1-on-1 drill, the kid he was guarding scored over him, and his teammates busted on him a little. Towns laughed and said, "I want him to hit that shot!" Just a refreshing kid, who you're going to love watching, even if he picked the wrong royal blue.

The worst part? He told me Duke was "definitely in [his] top 2." I always thought he was going to go to UK based on his relationship with Calipari from the Dominican team -- note: I found nothing wrong with that -- but I'm starting to wonder if we were a lot closer than I thought we were here.

Sounds like the G Hill / Battier / Sulaimon type of person and player. Too bad. It pains me when a smart kid follows the tune of the greasy piper.