PDA

View Full Version : I Feel A Bit Cheated....am I wrong for that?

deanquake
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I was as psyched as anyone to see the first of the season with Kyrie. I was crushed (as was everyone) by his injury. But K put together onhell of a team to contend that year, and he had no choice to play him at the end I know...but I can't help but feel cheated out of what could have been with Kyrie there all year, what we could have done with Nolan running things, and what might have been had he stayed to deliver Duke what he OWED them. A full year. I cant find it possible to be a Kyrie fan so much. My take. :mad:

Duvall
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I was as psyched as anyone to see the first of the season with Kyrie. I was crushed (as was everyone) by his injury. But K put together onhell of a team to contend that year, and he had no choice to play him at the end I know...but I can't help but feel cheated out of what could have been with Kyrie there all year, what we could have done with Nolan running things, and what might have been had he stayed to deliver Duke what he OWED them. A full year. I cant find it possible to be a Kyrie fan so much. My take. :mad:

Are you wrong? Yes.

Players don't owe the team anything other than their best effort while healthy.

roywhite
06-01-2011, 11:16 AM

I can identify with the disaapointment, but I don't think you have a fair conclusion. It is strange to think that one of the best players ever to come to Duke (who knows, Kyrie could turn out to be the best NBA player who ever attended Duke) played in so few games. Didn't play a single game in the great Duke/UNC rivalry; in fact, didn't play a single game against an ACC opponent.

But, ultimately, it's just bad luck combined with the modern day reality of players leaving early for the pros when they have a really good opportunity. NBA teams place a high value on Kyrie and he wants to play at that level.

I admire Kyrie especially for the grace and maturity with which he handled his injury situation. He was a terrific teammate. Yeah, I'd like to see him play more for Duke, but basically I just wish him the best.

DukieInKansas
06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I can imagine that Kyrie feels a bit cheated, too. He didn't come to Duke to play 8 games and be injured. He was looking forward to a full season with the possibility of a championship at the end. eta: Instead, he got a partial season of playing time - with the chance of a championship at the end.

I was disappointed that he didn't get to play more games. However, I was extremely impressed with how he handled himself through the season after the injury. He was a great teammate. He seemed to be involved in every game. I think he learned a lot while on the bench. I wish him luck in his future endeavors and look forward to reading about his graduation within 5 years as he promised his father.

DukeGirl4ever
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I get that you feel cheated because I feel cheated, too. But, I feel cheated in the sense that I didn't get to see a truly special team reach its full potential with all of the pieces to the puzzle. Unfortunately, that's what happens with basketball = injuries happen.

Even though I feel cheated, I don't think Kyrie OWES Duke anything. In fact, I appreciate his attitude and charisma throughout his injury. Without his opTOEmism, I think the team could have been a lot worse off in terms of morale.

I wish Kyrie the best of luck in the NBA - I will follow him and cheer for him, but not quite as much as I will for Kyle and Nolan because I felt like I got to know them over the four years.

DevilWearsPrada
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I can identify with the disaapointment, but I don't think you have a fair conclusion. It is strange to think that one of the best players ever to come to Duke (who knows, Kyrie could turn out to be the best NBA player who ever attended Duke) played in so few games. Didn't play a single game in the great Duke/UNC rivalry; in fact, didn't play a single game against an ACC opponent.

But, ultimately, it's just bad luck combined with the modern day reality of players leaving early for the pros when they have a really good opportunity. NBA teams place a high value on Kyrie and he wants to play at that level.

I admire Kyrie especially for the grace and maturity with which he handled his injury situation. He was a terrific teammate. Yeah, I'd like to see him play more for Duke, but basically I just wish him the best.

VERY very well, said!

All Duke Fans were very disappointed in not having Kyrie healthy for an entire season. Kyrie had never been benched with an injury in his playing career. Just imagine, what the 18 year old was going through physically and mentally, and being away from his family, and living in the Duke dorm, on East campus. Kyrie showed great maturity and leadership from the Bench, in being himself, and a Great TEAM member. He coached up Nolan and Tyler on the bench. Gave them good pointers, which made their game better.

I am glad I was in Charlotte to see the Hampton and Mich St games, because Kyrie put on a clinic. The young man has the heart and hustle to just WIN.

Did anyone expect that Kyrie would stay more than ONE year? I know I didn't. I am only glad that his injury, was not permanent. Kyrie worked hard in physical therapy, rehab and strength to get back on the court!

And as you pointed out, he did not play an ACC game, or in the 3 Duke/Unc games. The best part of the ACC tournament, was Duke kicking Unc out of the Greensboro Coliseum, and all the Tarheel fans, were leaving early!!!

Yes, we were all disappointed in having such a short season from Kyrie, but Kyrie will always be a Dukie! He wore the #1 jersey with Pride and Humbleness. Thankful, that he choose Duke, for his One Season.

And wishing the young man, the best in the NBA, and hopefully he will end up on the OLYMPIC and USA teams, to be coached again by Coach K!!

Kyrie is such a Shining Star with a LIGHT that shines from within! The Best to you, Young Man!

Gewebe14
06-01-2011, 12:49 PM
This is obvious troll, no?

Azdukefan
06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
This is obvious troll, no?

I don't think he/she is a troll. I feel exactly the same way.

Rich
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I can imagine that Kyrie feels a bit cheated, too. He didn't come to Duke to play 8 games and be injured. He was looking forward to a full season with the possibility of a championship at the end.

Playing Devils Advocate, he could have done that by coming back next year. If he felt so cheated about that he had it in his total control to try to remedy it.

DukieInKansas
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Playing Devils Advocate, he could have done that by coming back next year. If he felt so cheated about that he had it in his total control to try to remedy it.

That's very true. However, I think the consensus was he would be at Duke for only 1 year. I'm glad I wasn't faced with a decision between two amazing dreams - 1st pick in NBA draft or another chance at a possible NCAA tournament run - at age 19. Weighing the chance of further injury in college vs in the NBA. He played in the NCAA tournament but not in the Final Four. He is forever a part of Duke history. What can he accomplish in the NBA and the city luck enough to have him as a resident. I have no idea how I would decide.

I just hope he is at peace with his decision and won't look back and second guess his decision. Doing well at the next level will certainly help him avoid it. I'm sure he will make a positive mark on the world.

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I know this is going to rub the wrong way but there is something in all these Kyrie threads that I can't imagine being the only one to see. While being injured and recovering, he received the finest medical care available on the planet from the Duke Medical Staff. Can anyone even estimate what that kind of care would cost one of us if we were to get that injury on the playground and be uninsured?

I was deeply disappointed that he decided to one and dump.

I understand why. I get the lure of the Association. And I wish him no ill will.

Going forward, I just hope that Krzyzewski leaves these minor leaguers needing a year to impress the scouts and get their onions for Calipari and Calhoun and focuses on players rather than playas.

cato
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Going forward, I just hope that Krzyzewski leaves these minor leaguers needing a year to impress the scouts and get their onions for Calipari and Calhoun and focuses on players rather than playas.

I would love it if you had a chance to say this directly to Coach K, and report back with his response.

Since that isn't happening, I'll just say that it does not reflect well on you to insult a valued member of the 10/11 Duke team on this board. Going forward, I just hope you can insult Duke players on a Kentucky or UConn board.

PADukeMom
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Each individual has his /her own opinion. I don't feel the least bit cheated. I had the pleasure of watching 2 outstanding young men play basketball for 4 fantastic years. In an age of one & dones I feel blessed not cheated.

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry if that came off as a shot at Coach K. I have the utmost respect for the man. He is arguably the best coach to ever prowl the sidelines. Next time I email him, I'll apologize.

My issue is with Kyrie Irving. I feel he took advantage of the situation, and being a young, unexperienced and uneducated kid, he doesn't understand the opportunity he pissed away.

I am reminded of Kobe's quote that makes the rounds on the front page:

"Do you ever miss going to college?"

"Every March"

Scorp4me
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Not exactly the way I would have decided to jump into the posting pool.

PADukeMom
06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
To be honest I do have mixed feelings about Kyrie. Maybe we don't agree with his decisions but at the end of the day he is family & you have to love family. Now mind you it is not on the same level as Nolan or Kyle but I am sure Kyrie will get over it everytime he looks at his checking account ;)

Jeff Frosh
06-01-2011, 02:34 PM

How many more threads/posts like this do we have to endure? Next play. We are Duke!!!

Saratoga2
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
When we take a student athlete with premier ability, you have too expect an early transition to the NBA. Kyrie is one of those guys and we have Austin, who may be in the same situation next year. Kyrie couldn't avoid his injury, that was a random act. He was a good student from all accounts. He was also a good person and a supportive teammate with a great disposition. These aren't the times when a #1 draft choice is likely to stay and turn down millions of dollars.Of course I would have liked him to stay and play with Austin and the others, but I fully understand and support his decision.

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Nolan and Kyle gave us full ride reciprocation for everything they were given, in fact more. The mentoring they provided was an Iron Duke or three worth of love-payback.

I'm just saying I would feel better about Kyrie if when he cashes that first big paycheck he'll write a fat check to the Duke Medical Center to payback, and pay forward, the love BlueDevil Nation showered on this kid.

Maybe I got spoiled watching DeMarcus Nelson, and Greg Paulus and Jon Scheyer over the last four years. And so I am used to Duke student-athletes giving back as much if not more than they get. I'm not wanting to beat up on Kyrie, either. I just think the OP has a point that Duke isn't UK or Connecticut or WVa or Michigan. One and Done just isn't done there.

Duke has amazing standards to which exceptional young men like Nolan and Kyle, and Jon, DeMarcus and Greg have risen to achieve. Kyrie could have been in that conversation. But he opted out.

I'm disappointed at that.

DukieInKansas
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I know this is going to rub the wrong way but there is something in all these Kyrie threads that I can't imagine being the only one to see. While being injured and recovering, he received the finest medical care available on the planet from the Duke Medical Staff. Can anyone even estimate what that kind of care would cost one of us if we were to get that injury on the playground and be uninsured?

I was deeply disappointed that he decided to one and dump.

I understand why. I get the lure of the Association. And I wish him no ill will.

Yes, Kyrie did receive many benefits while he was a Duke. From what I have read about him (I wish I could say I knew him personally), I think he realizes that he received much for his time on campus and the bball courts.

I understand where you are coming from but I think short stays on campus are going to happen. I would love it if all our players stayed for 4 years. However, if they aren't going to stay, I'm really glad that Coach K brings in those that take their studies seriously while they are on campus. I'm not sure that is true of all of the 1 or 2 year players for Calipari.

DevilWearsPrada
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I can understand your feelings KenTank!

However, if a student athlete is injured while at Duke University, they all receive the best of Health Care at Duke Medical and Ortho.

Kyrie was just a more highly touted recruit on Mens Basketball team.

Monique Currie was injured and had to sit out a year. But she received a graduate degree in that 5th year. Without that Duke health care, Monique wouldnt be a WNBA player.

Many Football players, either get redshirted in their Freshman year or for Injury reasons. They all get the best of health care and rehab. Thats a part of playing the game.

Imagine a kid getting hurt (like Kyrie's toe injury) in high school, and not getting the treatment and care they needed, like Kyrie did at Duke. And if that kid had the Kyrie potential (close to it) to be a Great Basketball player, that kid would go unknown. Kyrie needed the Best of Health Care, that Duke provided, not just an Ace Bandage and a Espon Salt Bath and tylenlol.

I would think a recruit would look at the Duke Health Care also, in case they needed those services, that Duke provides the BEST! I am still in awe that Kyrie, even came back and played the last 3 basketball games. So glad he did! Great to see that #1 Duke jersey on the court.

I look forward to see Kyrie, Nolan and Kyle in the NBA league next season. Appreciate all of their hard work and dedication to Duke Mens Basketball, and their studies. Certainly going to miss our #1, #2 and #12 next season.

Channing
06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I am reminded of Kobe's quote that makes the rounds on the front page:

"Do you ever miss going to college?"

"Every March"

^^^^very easy to say with more than 100 million dollars in the bank.

Personally, this holier than thou attitude towards Kyrie makes me sick to my stomach. The kid stared his basketball playing career squarely in the face. How can you fault him for striking while the iron is hot? Its not like he is leaving school to be the 15th pick in the draft. He left knowing that, unless Washington won the lottery, he would be the number 1 pick. With a financially minded father, that means that with his first contract and accompanying endorsements, he can be set for life. If he goes out and in the 5th game he reinjures his toe (not out of the realm of possibilities), he is set for life.

This notion that Kyrie "owes" Duke something is absurd. Everyone knew Kyrie might be a 1 and done coming in. K evaluated that risk and decided that nevertheless, Kyrie would be a great fit for our team - and he was right. Even while hurt Kyrie was a sparkplug for our team. This ongoing attitude that Kyrie "owed" Duke another year brings Elton Brand's letter back into focus and shows that some attitudes just haven't changed.

So...in case you haven't caught my drift ... YES, you are wrong for feeling cheated.

weezie
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
How many more threads/posts like this do we have to endure?

Amen, brother.
It's best to move on and keep smiling.
Starting to sound a little weepy in here sometimes.
Chins up!

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Again, let me diffuse and say I get why Kyrie did what he did. If I were his adviser or father or uncle I would have totally supported this decision. I am just struggling with the ideal I have of the Duke student-athlete and how one and done doesn't fit with Nolan and JJ and a host of lacross players that lost their ride because of a lie but hung around because Duke is DUKE.

Duke is not your normal sports community. Kyrie is not your run of the mill Duke student-athlete.

I am saying that as someone with WAY too much time on my hands who over-analyzes everything, might be feeling some rejection(?), or disappointment in Kyrie's 8+3 games. And I for one thinks he owes Duke's future a little payback.

I am a working man putting a niece and nephew through college. I don't see why it is unreasonable to ask an NBA lottery pick to kick down half a weeks salary to show he appreciates the residents and nurse practitioners at Duke Med who kept all that possible for him.

DukieInKansas
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Again, let me diffuse and say I get why Kyrie did what he did. If I were his adviser or father or uncle I would have totally supported this decision. I am just struggling with the ideal I have of the Duke student-athlete and how one and done doesn't fit with Nolan and JJ and a host of lacross players that lost their ride because of a lie but hung around because Duke is DUKE.

Duke is not your normal sports community. Kyrie is not your run of the mill Duke student-athlete.

I am saying that as someone with WAY too much time on my hands who over-analyzes everything, might be feeling some rejection(?), or disappointment in Kyrie's 8+3 games. And I for one thinks he owes Duke's future a little payback.

I am a working man putting a niece and nephew through college. I don't see why it is unreasonable to ask an NBA lottery pick to kick down half a weeks salary to show he appreciates the residents and nurse practitioners at Duke Med who kept all that possible for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes contributions to the hospital, scholarship funds, etc. when he collects his paychecks - if there is a season. I also wouldn't be surprised if we never hear of any contributions he makes.

I wish all players would stay for 4 years - not only so we have the privilege of watching them play but so they get their degrees. You never know what might happen to cut an athletic career short. A degree from Duke will go a long way to help in that situation.

And Kudos to you for helping a niece and nephew through school. I wish all Kentucky folks were like you. In fact, I wish a lot of folks were like you - it would help make the world a better place.

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks! Truth be told, I use my love for Duke to de-escalate some pretty volatile situations here in the bluegrass. I am a social justice activist and run into a LOT of people wearing Wildcat gear. It is a great icebreaker to ask them if they mind that I am a Blue Devil fan. Mostly they grunt and shrug but allow me that dalliance. Sometimes they even take my arm and forgive me.

I appreciate y'all doing the same!

johnb
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
My issue is with Kyrie Irving. I feel he took advantage of the situation, and being a young, unexperienced and uneducated kid, he doesn't understand the opportunity he pissed away.

Ken: If you're going to diss KI for being uneducated, please don't also call him "unexperienced."

If you're going to diss him for being a "playa" and not a player, please refer to the online slang definition of playa: "someone who dates more than one person at a time, usually just for sex or other perks. Will typically do anything to have sex with someone. Carries a heavy negative connotation." It also connotes inner city youth, all of which makes me consider whether you'd have called him a "playa" if he were a white child of a Wall Streeter rather than being, as he is/was, an African-American child of a Wall Streeter. I don't think you intended it as a racist slur but rather as a clever bit of word play, but the choice was mean-spirited and gratuitous.

If you're going to express your outrage at the "one and dump," I am left wondering if you took the time to read his heartfelt ambivalence over the decision.

If you're going to say that early entrance "just isn't done here," I wouldn't point to DeMarcus Nelson or Greg Paulus or a bunch of other terrific players who weren't remotely ready to start in the NBA as underclassmen (or as graduates). Instead, I'd look at Brand, Deng, Dunleavy, etc, who were/are terrific people who were guaranteed lottery picks and who chose to leave without a degree. We at Duke do not exist in a bubble, our players and students are not a different species of human, and there are plenty of serious student-athletes at all of the major universities against whom we compete.

I'd also point out that some of our former players hold serious grudges against fans who smeared them as they went on to pursue their professional goals. It's a minority of fans, but it's often the vocal minority that make the rest of the group look bad. I could go on, but if you're going to say you "over-analyze everything," think again.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I am going to repeat what I said in the various Kyrie vigil threads. I feel cheated that Kyrie got injured early in the season and that I (and we, Duke fans everywhere but especially those in Cameron) didn't get to watch him play the entire season. I don't for one second feel cheated by Kyrie himself. He was a fabulous teammate in every aspect, going above and beyond what anyone could have expected given the circumstances and uncertainty about the severity and recovery period of his (unusual) injury. I never expected him to spend more than one season at Duke, not with his talent. All the "curious" comments aside, I would have been amazed if he had stayed. Pleased beyond belief, but amazed. I do not fault him and he followed the advice I offered him in this forum - declare for the draft and go pro - you are the likely #1 draft pick.

toooskies
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Just remember: it's his entire life that matters in his decision. It typically will only impact your entertainment. And Duke has enough guards for next year as it is.

KenTankerous
06-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Ken: If you're going to diss KI for being uneducated, please don't also call him "unexperienced."

Damn it! I hoped that would slip through. It had most others. Good Call.

My use of playa was a stretch to express how I felt in the sense of this thread - pulled out, strung along, wondering, hoping...

Inner City. Racist. Sorry, I didn't mean that at all. I meant that Kyrie took a whole lot more than he kicked in.

At this point in time.

But I am am not going to apologize for being a bigger fans of Paulus, Scheyer, Smith, Singlar et. al because they fulfilled their letters of intent. How much would you have enjoyed seeing Gerald get that ring with Jon and Kyle and Andre rather than schlepping a baby-blue back-pack to d-league scrimmages?

Newton_14
06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Folks, this thread was a bad idea and has run its course. Time to move one.