PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel resigns

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
This was just posted on WRAL's web site. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/story/9660747/

WOW!

DukieInKansas
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I was not expecting this. My father went to Michigan, so I was raised to dislike OSU. But, like my feelings for Carolina, I always thought they ran a clean program, despite Woody Hayes temper issues. (I was too young to know if there was anything else happening.) I don't like seeing the program being brought down by these issues.

I have OSU friends coming over today - I'll have to be kind to them.

sagegrouse
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
This was just posted on WRAL's web site. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/story/9660747/

WOW!

DitBD -- Aren't Tressel's problems, as opposed to Jim Calhoun and Butch Davis, that (a) the cover-up always seem to be worse than the crime and (b) there is a smoking gun, which was the e-mail from the former OSU football player alerting Tressel of a problem?

Then -- duh -- he forwarded the e-mail to the young man's advisor rather than to OSU attorneys or compliance officers. At face value, it looks like Tressel was prepared to evade the compliance system in order to keep players eligble to play. Uh, isn't this the definition of "lack of institutional control?"

I suppose stupidity is an excuse, but is probably not consistent with being paid millions as a major college football coach.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I suppose stupidity is an excuse, but is probably not consistent with being paid millions as a major college football coach.

sagegrouse

Stupidity is often a reason but is never an adequate excuse. The buck stops there.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-30-2011, 11:08 AM
DitBD -- Aren't Tressel's problems, as opposed to Jim Calhoun and Butch Davis, that (a) the cover-up always seem to be worse than the crime and (b) there is a smoking gun, which was the e-mail from the former OSU football player alerting Tressel of a problem?

Then -- duh -- he forwarded the e-mail to the young man's advisor rather than to OSU attorneys or compliance officers. At face value, it looks like Tressel was prepared to evade the compliance system in order to keep players eligble to play. Uh, isn't this the definition of "lack of institutional control?"

sagegrouse

You are absolutely on point. My "Wow" comment is related to the relatively quick resignation, a comparison to some other programs under what appears to be a slow moving investigation with minimal institutional response.

devildeac
05-30-2011, 11:22 AM
You are absolutely on point. My "Wow" comment is related to the relatively quick resignation, a comparison to some other programs under what appears to be a slow moving investigation with minimal institutional response.

Hmm...

Wonder what "other programs" DitBD is considering...

university
of
non-
compliance
?

university
of
numerous
cheaters
?

Nah, never mind.
;)