PDA

View Full Version : "Baby Doc" Rivers? Really?

tommy
05-30-2011, 01:48 AM
I've seen a number of posters on various threads refer to Austin Rivers as "Baby Doc." I have never seen that nickname utilized on any other sites dealing with high school or college basketball, or recruiting. Is that really a nickname that has been previously attached to Austin and that he is cool with?

If not, I'm wondering why anyone would want to try to dub him with that name. It's not "cute," and it's not funny. The original "Baby Doc" was one of the most brutal dictators of the 20th century, following closely in the footsteps of his father "Papa Doc" Duvalier. Why Austin would want to be associated in any way, shape, or form, with that monster -- even if it's just a nickname -- I would have no idea. But I doubt he would.

Unless I'm just ignorant, and Austin knows of the nickname and likes it, can we cease and desist on the "Baby Doc" thing?

El_Diablo
05-30-2011, 02:13 AM
I've seen a number of posters on various threads refer to Austin Rivers as "Baby Doc." I have never seen that nickname utilized on any other sites dealing with high school or college basketball, or recruiting. Is that really a nickname that has been previously attached to Austin and that he is cool with?

If not, I'm wondering why anyone would want to try to dub him with that name. It's not "cute," and it's not funny. The original "Baby Doc" was one of the most brutal dictators of the 20th century, following closely in the footsteps of his father "Papa Doc" Duvalier. Why Austin would want to be associated in any way, shape, or form, with that monster -- even if it's just a nickname -- I would have no idea. But I doubt he would.

Unless I'm just ignorant, and Austin knows of the nickname and likes it, can we cease and desist on the "Baby Doc" thing?

The "number of posters" having used that nickname is only one, according to the DBR search function. I don't think it's really catching on. ;)

superdave
05-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Yeah, bad nickname.
As bad as all the cool kids wearing Che t-shirts.
He should be Austin in the same way that Nolan was just Nolan.

NovaScotian
05-30-2011, 11:17 AM
i think y'all are referring to my use of this new nickname. i for one think it will catch on once everyone see how much of a cold-blooded killer he is.

or i guess we could all start calling him 'intern' or 'the resident' or something. it just seems to me that the best recruit should have the illest nickname, and silent g is gonna be tough to beat.

killerleft
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
i think y'all are referring to my use of this new nickname. i for one think it will catch on once everyone see how much of a cold-blooded killer he is.

or i guess we could all start calling him 'intern' or 'the resident' or something. it just seems to me that the best recruit should have the illest nickname, and silent g is gonna be tough to beat.

Yeah, nothing like associating a great teenage baller with one of the viler men in history... but couldn't we wait until the murdered have no living relatives? Or is the illism just enhanced?

I know I'm old and in the way, but your new nickname won't be used by me. It grosses me out, man. Even something groovy like "International Man of Mystery" works better for me, and I admit I'm harshing my high with that one.

Duvalier, in truth, wasn't a cold-blooded killler. He was a coward.

slower
05-30-2011, 11:53 AM

It won't "catch on" because it's a lousy nickname, for a variety of reasons. It always amazes me that people on DBR (and elsewhere) come up with such ridiculously bad nicknames.

DevilWearsPrada
05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, bad nickname.
As bad as all the cool kids wearing Che t-shirts.
He should be Austin in the same way that Nolan was just Nolan.

Agree 100%. Austin is Austin, #0. And NOLAN was NOLAN! Gonna miss that #2, and the #12 Warrior, Kyle!.

I don't like the nickname, "Baby Doc", at all. I will call him Austin. Thats a good strong name!

moonpie23
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
i think the use of it, or pol pot, or hitler, or gahafi, or saddam hussain, or musolini, to refer to our prized recruit should warrant an infraction of the highest magnitude...

fgb
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM

no, it won't.

the nickname is a non-starter.

SupaDave
06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Outside of all that nonsense, I do think it's cool that we'll have our very own "Agent ZERO" without all the crazy to go with it. :)

Anyone else got any good "Zero" nicknames? I'm trying to remember who has actually even worn the number.

DevilWearsPrada
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Outside of all that nonsense, I do think it's cool that we'll have our very own "Agent ZERO" without all the crazy to go with it. :)

Anyone else got any good "Zero" nicknames? I'm trying to remember who has actually even worn the number.

Has anyone, wore the Number 0 or Number 1 (Kyrie), under Coach K's leadership? And before Coach K?

The Crazies will get resourceful in their Nicknames and Cheers! (I hope so!, lol).

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Here is Subzero... now plain zero.

http://youtu.be/FaqA3riikCY?t=45s