PDA

View Full Version : Drew II and the Wears discuss why they left UNC

kong123
05-29-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/28/3661856/something-finer-than-north-carolina.html

AisanderD
05-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Please note the irony of Drew and the Wear Twins discussing poor treatment by the Carolina fans followed by the two comments at the bottom of the page. No sour grapes to be had here!

kong123
05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
there will always be fans that will post negative things at the bottom of an article like that, but I feel the last two lines in the article speak volumes too. Sounds like, baskeball issues aside, they wanted to be back home.

"Every day I wake up, I'm just really thankful to be here. It's a second chance, so to speak," Drew said. "I'm home on top of that. I have everybody I've ever known, basically, out here.

"I don't think you appreciate what you have until it's gone, what we had here in L.A. Now we're back and we're going to try to make the most of it."

billy
05-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I feel the last two lines in the article speak volumes too. Sounds like, baskeball issues aside, they wanted to be back home.

Perhaps they should change the title of the article to "Drew and Wear Twins left UNC because they were homesick". Nah, I like the original, more accurate title (supported by the other 32 lines) better....

God, please let UNC and UCLA play once the Wears and Drew are eligible!

miramar
05-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I can understand the Wears being homesick, although that particular season probably had a lot to do with it.

I still don't understand Drew II's timing.

BD80
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
there will always be fans that will post negative things at the bottom of an article like that, but I feel the last two lines in the article speak volumes too. Sounds like, baskeball issues aside, they wanted to be back home.

"Every day I wake up, I'm just really thankful to be here. It's a second chance, so to speak," Drew said. "I'm home on top of that. I have everybody I've ever known, basically, out here.

"I don't think you appreciate what you have until it's gone, what we had here in L.A. Now we're back and we're going to try to make the most of it."

Funny that they don't seem to miss carolina or ol' roy even though they've been gone for a year.

wilko
05-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Do we get to count Alex Stepheson and Will Graves among the departures from UNC?
It seems O'l Roy is amassing quite a list of unhappy dudes...

Im sure this will NEVER be mentioned in recruiting circles...

ChicagoCrazy84
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Do we get to count Alex Stepheson and Will Graves among the departures from UNC?
It seems O'l Roy is amassing quite a list of unhappy dudes...

Im sure this will NEVER be mentioned in recruiting circles...

Don't forget that Coach K has a fairly long list of transfers over his years. Some of them unhappy I'm sure, some of them for other reasons. I'm not going to start putting names out there because I'm sure I'll forget some, but the list is extensive.

Olympic Fan
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I can understand the Wears being homesick, although that particular season probably had a lot to do with it.

I still don't understand Drew II's timing.

I was going to post something similar.

As an outsider, I can kind of understand the Wear twins. Kids do get homesick and the 2009-10 season couldn't have been very much fun in Chapel Hill. Both players had to battle injuries and when they were healthy early, UNC was loaded with better frontcourt players (Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, Deon Thompson). True, Davis and Zeller got hurt, but by that time, both of the Wears were hurting too.

I am still a little confused by the method of their departure. I have no problem with the timing of their departure -- after the season. That's when unhappy kids SHOULD leave. What confuses me is Roy Williams total and complete shock at their departure, which was clearly real since he had done nothing to plug the gap their departure was going to cause in the frontcourt (he finally scrambled and got Alabama transfer Justin Knox). Did they not communicate thei unhappiness? Roy claims neither kid mentioned transfer when he had his end-of-season interviews with them ... and that they were already gone when they learned of his departure (from their father).

Drew is another magnitude worse. He was given every opportunity to show his talent. The only thing that prevented him from being a star was his own mediocre play. He started the entire 2009-10 season and half of last year -- when UNC was mired in the worst mediocrity in Roy's 25 years of coaching. Is it a coincidence that the minute Roy replaced Drew with Marshall at the point that UNC suddenly got a lot better and was a top 10 team again?

That's got to gall Larry and his father. His departure, of course, was inexcusable. A kid that quits on his team in mid-semester (even a departure after first semester makes a little sense) is a scumbag, pure and simple.

Devilsfan
05-29-2011, 11:33 AM
The truth of the matter was they weren't very good and lost all of Roy's confidence.

roywhite
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
The truth of the matter was they weren't very good and lost all of Roy's confidence.

Probably true about Drew, but not so sure about the Wear twins. Certainly, they were not big stars in their first year, but I don't think anyone expected them to be. Based on Ole Roy's reaction, he was surprised and upset to see them leave. I'll be curious to see how good they are in the next few years.

kong123
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I believe the Wears would have given UNC very consistent play over their 4 years, both in practice and during game time. They would be the perfect kind of player to compliment the talent that only spends a year or two in Chapel Hill.

By the way, Alex Stephenson left UNC because he wanted to be close to his father who was in poor health. Pretty much the same situation Elliot Williams was in a few years ago.

killerleft
05-29-2011, 04:13 PM
I couldn't find anything that reflects badly on UNC in that article. Well, except for the fans, of course.

The Wears were lonely. The Drews are privileged folk too close to the problem to make an intelligent statement about Carolina. Anything they say right now, in light of Kendall Marshall's emergence, comes across as stupid. The Drews should hide from the spotlight for a while.

The key word in the piece was "salvageable". I agree with Daddy Drew on that one. He, his wife, and his son have backed themselves into a corner. They're the ones left to salvage something here, not Roy. Leaving mid-season was as bush-league as it gets.

wilko
05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't forget that Coach K has a fairly long list of transfers over his years. Some of them unhappy I'm sure, some of them for other reasons. I'm not going to start putting names out there because I'm sure I'll forget some, but the list is extensive.

Oh I haven't forgotten Duke's transfers.

Its a goose - gander kind of thing.. It nice to see Roy have some some totals adding up cuz I'm feeling rather positive that Duke's transfers were used against them in recruiting in the past. Harder to make that argument in favor of yourself when you have blemishes as well.

Explain it as law of averages, return to the norm, whatever floats your boat...
I'm just glad to see it!

DevilWearsPrada
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
The Wear Twins transferred at a good time, after their freshman year. Most twins hang out together and are Best Friends. And it will be interesting to follow their college careers for the next 3 seasons. All that matters, is the kids are happy, and will thrive in their academics, athletics and social life while in college.

I was shocked at the timing of LD2 departure. But from what I have read over the months, Drew2 wanted to transfer after his soph year. Obviously, the young man was not happy in Chapel Hill, or with the Unc program.

Duke has had many transfers. Several within the last few years. It happens! One door closes, and another door opens! Reminds me of when Taylor King left Duke, and that opened up an opportunity for Miles Plumlee. And so glad Duke has Liberty transfer, Seth Curry!

Wheat/"/"/"
05-30-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd say a poll of the UNC faithful would show extreme gratitude that the program failed to meet Larry Drew and family's expectations.

The Wear kids are good players and will no doubt show it at UCLA. Too bad it just didn't fit for them at UNC.

sporthenry
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM

Yes, everyone is aware of the transfers Duke has had but the point is that every UNC fans for the past 4 years has been trying to find the next transfer. You hear about how Dre is going to transfer b/c he doesn't get enough PT or some other issue that UNC fans try to say Duke has when in reality, I want to see how Leslie McDonald, Bullock, or PJ likes riding the pine. So it is just bringing up that everything doesn't always work out in TarHole land but boy it is amazing how they do try to spin it. You'd be hardpressed to find Duke fans on here throw the players under the bus but again UNC fans try to come back with Drew's dad or the Wears just leaving when Duke treated the Taylor King situation pretty nicely or Olek transferred mid-season (albeit wasn't starting).

Scorp4me
05-31-2011, 02:04 AM
Please note the irony of Drew and the Wear Twins discussing poor treatment by the Carolina fans followed by the two comments at the bottom of the page. No sour grapes to be had here!

Just read the article and all but one comment is...well, let's just say they'd followed the first two's lead.

ChicagoHeel
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think there is that much in the article that we didn't already know. They left for a combination of reasons- they didn't like Roy and the program, the team struggled and the experience was unpleasant, etc. Other reasons are not made apparent in the article because no player would say ever say it outright (e.g. playing time). The theme of "coming home" is apparent in the article, and so presumably was in the interviews with the players, but again no player is going to admit he left due to homesickness.

The one question I would have liked answered is why the players chose not to talk to Roy directly- or even to tell teammates. Like most rational UNC fans, and there are actually a number of us, I can understand and support a student's desire to transfer. But the way the decision was executed in terms of both timing and delivery left a sour taste in my mouth and made it difficult for me to simply wish them the best of luck at UCLA. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I want UCLA to lose a lot of games this year. If they have to win a few, I at least hope that we can play them in the first round of the NCAA with us as a number one seed in the East.

roywhite
05-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think there is that much in the article that we didn't already know. They left for a combination of reasons- they didn't like Roy and the program, the team struggled and the experience was unpleasant, etc. Other reasons are not made apparent in the article because no player would say ever say it outright (e.g. playing time). The theme of "coming home" is apparent in the article, and so presumably was in the interviews with the players, but again no player is going to admit he left due to homesickness.

The one question I would have liked answered is why the players chose not to talk to Roy directly- or even to tell teammates. Like most rational UNC fans, and there are actually a number of us, I can understand and support a student's desire to transfer. But the way the decision was executed in terms of both timing and delivery left a sour taste in my mouth and made it difficult for me to simply wish them the best of luck at UCLA. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I want UCLA to lose a lot of games this year. If they have to win a few, I at least hope that we can play them in the first round of the NCAA with us as a number one seed in the East.

You make some good points, but I'm not clear about your feelings toward UCLA. Were they somehow involved in the transfer decisions of the players, or just happen to be the home town program to which the players gravitated?

Just from a basketball perspective, I'll guess the Wears turn out to be good players for the Bruins.

Duke79UNLV77
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I think it is quite common for transfers to mention playing time. The p*ssing match here is more reminiscent of the Ole Roy-Roe controversy. As for communication, Coach Drew claims his son wasn't talked to about the starting lineup change. As for timing, the lineup change came just after the 1st semester, which would make it more difficult for Drew the younger to transfer. Hmmm....

Team Drew (particularly the mother) certainly has not made itself look good. I would think Ole Roy should have taken the high road rather than speak publicly about the fathers, lack of communication, and surprise, as he has with the Wears and Drew.

sagegrouse
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
In the past seven-eight years, regardless of school, here is the list of those from California who played four years for either Duke or UNC:

DeMarcus Nelson
Quentin Thomas
Deion Thompson

Here is the list of Californians who transferred:

Jamal Boykin
Larry Drew II
Taylor King
David Wear
Travis Wear

Overall for Duke, of the 28 recruited players between 2001-02 (Daniel Ewing) and 2009-10 (Mason, Dre, and Ryan) six transferred (21%).

sagegrouse

BD80
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
... Overall for Duke, of the 28 recruited players between 2001-02 (Daniel Ewing) and 2009-10 (Mason, Dre, and Ryan) six transferred (21%).

sagegrouse

And 33% of those transfers were because of illness in the family. Another 16% percent of those transfers were serial tranferees with admitted issues with illegal substances. 0% of those transferees spoke ill of Duke, Coach K, or the program. Statistics can be funny, particularly when using such small samples.

sagegrouse
05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
And 33% of those transfers were because of illness in the family. Another 16% percent of those transfers were serial tranferees with admitted issues with illegal substances. 0% of those transferees spoke ill of Duke, Coach K, or the program. Statistics can be funny, particularly when using such small samples.

I was bending over backwards to keep it from being an us vs. them situation. Thanks for the lecture on statistics; I'll keep it in mind. :)

The us vs. them issue WRT transfers is that K, even if disappointed in the outcome, always seemed to know what was going on and participate in the discussions with both player and parents. Roy has professed surprise at the last three people who left, and not a one gave him the courtesy of a personal call or visit. Maybe his purported surprise is a conceit (i.e., play-acting), but you have to wonder.

Given the money in the NBA (veterans' minimum = $1.2 million), it's no wonder that many view college as a trade school and are prepared to move around to find a good situation (i.e., playing time).

sagegrouse

Acymetric
05-31-2011, 09:48 PM

I mean the answer to your question is pretty clearly that either they don't respect or they don't trust Roy. Whether that is an issue isolated to them or if its a sign of a broader problem within the program I can't really say.