PDA

View Full Version : Darko's Championship Ring

BD80
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
This is great, you can win a raffle for Darko's 2004 NBA championship ring!

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/win_darkos_2004_detroit_pistons_nba_championship_r ing/4810447?linksrc=foxrg_home

The money goes to a good cause, and Darko gets to divest himself of a memory he'd rather not have.

If only the Pistons could get that pick back ...

darjum
05-29-2011, 01:56 AM
This is great, you can win a raffle for Darko's 2004 NBA championship ring!

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/win_darkos_2004_detroit_pistons_nba_championship_r ing/4810447?linksrc=foxrg_home

The money goes to a good cause, and Darko gets to divest himself of a memory he'd rather not have.

If only the Pistons could get that pick back ...

Good for him, similar to Ron Artest. At least Artest deserved his ring.

Couldn't help but notice your current location...just imagine if the Piston's had drafted Wade instead, quite possibly a few more championships during the mid 2000's and you might have Bosh and James right now too! Oh well, the Piston's have been a good franchise for many years, they will rise again one day.

blazindw
05-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I've always said this: Without Darko, we don't win in 2004 and don't make the finals in 2005. If we draft Melo, we trade Prince and don't get Sheed...we don't win. If we get Bosh, we don't get Sheed or likely have to trade Billups to get another scorer...we don't win. If we draft Wade, we trade Rip and we don't get Sheed...we don't win.

Sure, Darko was a bad pick for the long run, but the 2004-05 teams wouldn't be championship teams. He wasn't called the Human Victory Cigar for nothing.

COYS
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I've always said this: Without Darko, we don't win in 2004 and don't make the finals in 2005. If we draft Melo, we trade Prince and don't get Sheed...we don't win. If we get Bosh, we don't get Sheed or likely have to trade Billups to get another scorer...we don't win. If we draft Wade, we trade Rip and we don't get Sheed...we don't win.

Sure, Darko was a bad pick for the long run, but the 2004-05 teams wouldn't be championship teams. He wasn't called the Human Victory Cigar for nothing.

A championship in hand is better than two in the bush. Excellent point. As a Hawks fan, I wish we could've said that about the Marvin Williams pick (well, we missed out on Paul or D-Will but hey, we won a title!). Now, if the Pistons hadn't won the title in '04, I think it would be fair game to gripe about the pick the same way Hawks fans get to complain about Marvin Williams. That they were one win away from going back to back during that two year run speaks volumes about how well those teams were put together, regardless of Darko's presence on the roster.

darjum
05-30-2011, 12:12 AM

A championship in hand is better than two in the bush. Excellent point. As a Hawks fan, I wish we could've said that about the Marvin Williams pick (well, we missed out on Paul or D-Will but hey, we won a title!). Now, if the Pistons hadn't won the title in '04, I think it would be fair game to gripe about the pick the same way Hawks fans get to complain about Marvin Williams. That they were one win away from going back to back during that two year run speaks volumes about how well those teams were put together, regardless of Darko's presence on the roster.

Excellent point made by both people and it appears you both really know your stuff...but really, Darko over Wade in retrospect..common not even die hard Piston's fans think that was a good moment for the franchise! But it sure was a great span for the Piston's in the 00's, shame it didn't end in more rings.

blazindw
05-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Again, for the long term, I didn't agree with the pick. But getting anyone else, we don't win in 2004 and we aren't one mistake away from back-to-back in 2005. We also made 6 straight Eastern Conference finals. So yea, I'd love to have Wade or Melo or Bosh on my team instead of Darko, but I know that if we have one, we may still be searching for our 3rd NBA title.