PDA

View Full Version : Potential Match-Up?

Slamjamdan
05-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I am both a Duke fan as well as a UNM (New Mexico) fan, and lately there has been a lot of speculation that UNM is going to be playing a top tier opponent as part of our OOC schedule. One team that is being mentioned is Duke. The speculation is that UNM will play in Cameron as a "buy" game with out a return game to the pit. Its not uncommon for elite teams to avoid coming to the pit due to teams often leaving there with "L"s. There has been recent twitter conversations between 2 of our incoming freshman talking about potentially playing at Duke. I'm just curious what this board has to think about this potential match-up and whether anyone on this side has heard any rumors along these lines.

Go Lobos, and Go Blue Devils!

nmduke2001
05-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I am both a Duke fan as well as a UNM (New Mexico) fan, and lately there has been a lot of speculation that UNM is going to be playing a top tier opponent as part of our OOC schedule. One team that is being mentioned is Duke. The speculation is that UNM will play in Cameron as a "buy" game with out a return game to the pit. Its not uncommon for elite teams to avoid coming to the pit due to teams often leaving there with "L"s. There has been recent twitter conversations between 2 of our incoming freshman talking about potentially playing at Duke. I'm just curious what this board has to think about this potential match-up and whether anyone on this side has heard any rumors along these lines.

Go Lobos, and Go Blue Devils!

As a Duke grad who calls NM home, I hope this never happens. There isn't any good that could come out of this match up for me. If Duke wins, then it is expected. If Duke loses, I will never hear the end of it from friends and coworkers.

However, the Bobby Knight connection between the coaches could make it plausible.

Slamjamdan
05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
As a Duke grad who calls NM home, I hope this never happens. There isn't any good that could come out of this match up for me. If Duke wins, then it is expected. If Duke loses, I will never hear the end of it from friends and coworkers.

However, the Bobby Knight connection between the coaches could make it plausible.

Or if Duke wins, it will be a boost to their RPI as UNM is expected to be atleast near the top 25 all year... it seems like a good fit for Duke to me, I highly doubt a youthful UNM team can go into Cameron early in the season and win... UNM will get much stronger as the year goes on which will make the win by duke seem stronger and boost their RPI. Now if this game were to be played in the Pit, potential different story.

airowe
05-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know anything about that game in particular, but Duke will not need any help boosting their TOO or SOS next season.