PDA

View Full Version : Required viewing - The History of the Crossover

JasonEvans
05-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Here is a great story (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/13/sports/basketball/the-crossover-genealogy-of-a-vicious-move.html)for any basketball fan on NYTimes website.

--Jason "I need to show this to my sons, who are just learning some advanced basketball moves" Evans

ChicagoCrazy84
05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for sharing, that was a pretty cool story. I forget sometimes how good Allen Iverson really was during his peak. He was so fun to watch. I loved Allen's comment on MJ after that move he put on him and how he admitted that while it was great to see, MJ came dangerously close to blocking that. Derrick Rose will be the next great crossover king if he already isn't. He doesnt need to use it as much because he's quicker and stronger, but he can do it.

NSDukeFan
05-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is a great story (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/13/sports/basketball/the-crossover-genealogy-of-a-vicious-move.html)for any basketball fan on NYTimes website.

--Jason "I need to show this to my sons, who are just learning some advanced basketball moves" Evans

I have to agree with Wade, I think Hardaway had the best crossover, with his double moves. I remember practicing those quite a bit and watching how unstoppable he was when he got going. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as unstoppable. Which is why I watch and comment about basketball rather than play competitively.

Kedsy
05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with Wade, I think Hardaway had the best crossover, with his double moves. I remember practicing those quite a bit and watching how unstoppable he was when he got going. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as unstoppable. Which is why I watch and comment about basketball rather than play competitively.

After watching the video, I tried the Iverson crossover, twice, on the playground today. Got free both times!

NSDukeFan
05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
After watching the video, I tried the Iverson crossover, twice, on the playground today. Got free both times!

Nicely done. I won't be playing much, if any, until the fall (it's now soccer season for me), so can't try any moves for a bit. Try the Hardaway moves and you'll also get free.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-28-2011, 03:23 PM

It's funny...while playing in high school, I tried to develop a decent crossover and my teammates would always make fun of me because rather than selling it with a jab step, I would do more of a hop or skip type of movement. I still got free sometimes, but it never got to be where I wanted because I was never able to bring it low enough like Hardaway or Iverson...due to the "hop." Some friends and teammates to this day still call me "hop around". I was however able to perfect my step back and spin move.:cool:

COYS
05-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Just a great video. I would not be surprised to see Kyrie added to this list if they do a follow-up piece in a few years. Kyrie, like Iverson, is not an overpowering athlete but is just supremely quick with the ball. Obviously, it's premature to speculate too much, but I could definitely see a Nike shoe called the Kyrie Krossover being popular in the near future.

NovaScotian
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Just a great video. I would not be surprised to see Kyrie added to this list if they do a follow-up piece in a few years. Kyrie, like Iverson, is not an overpowering athlete but is just supremely quick with the ball. Obviously, it's premature to speculate too much, but I could definitely see a Nike shoe called the Kyrie Krossover being popular in the near future.

While we did see some of kyrie making dudes jump out if their shoes last season, I think we can all agree nolan was the ankle breaking king. Which duke player had the illest crossover? Jason Williams? Daniel Ewing? Gerald Henderson?

Kedsy
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
While we did see some of kyrie making dudes jump out if their shoes last season, I think we can all agree nolan was the ankle breaking king. Which duke player had the illest crossover? Jason Williams? Daniel Ewing? Gerald Henderson?

I used to marvel at Grant Hill's crossover back in the day.

killerleft
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
All the guys in my neighborhood had crossovers back in the 1960s. Too bad Mom never got out the ol' Super 8 so I could prove it.:D

Seriously. That little fake got a 5'3" dude open anytime I wanted. Certainly Iverson & Friends are/were better at it, but what's the deal? Did I just forget to preen as I trotted back down the court? I know I didn't need the Jordan Push to pull it off.:cool:

Scorp4me
05-31-2011, 01:40 AM

I know he isn't a Duke player, but no discussion of a crossover is complete without mentioning Randolph Childress. Type his name into Google and crossover pops up with a link to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

The fact that he carried and then almost traveled just to taunt McInnis takes nothing away from the video, lol.