PDA

View Full Version : Statues

HoyaEagle
05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
My buddy wrote this piece (http://everymonthmarch.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/kareem-wants-a-statue-which-college-player-deserves-one/) about players in the last 10 years who would deserve statues at their respective schools- and Battier received the nod for Duke.

Just wondering, if you all had to choose one Duke player who received a statue outside of Cameron (and yes I know Coach K would be the person to get one but roll with it), who would it be?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Johnny Dawkins is often referred to as the most important player in Duke history as he was the first superstar (and first/biggest recruiting get) of the K era. Hard to argue with that. But in truth, we could field a team of statues! :cool:

HoyaEagle
05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Johnny Dawkins is often referred to as the most important player in Duke history as he was the first superstar (and first/biggest recruiting get) of the K era. Hard to argue with that. But in truth, we could field a team of statues! :cool:

Dawkins didn't cross my mind when I initially thought about it but that's a fair argument.

Obviously there are so many players that you could argue are "statue-worthy" for Duke but wondering who would be the first if they went this route to get one.

Only reason this is relevant is because of Kareem whining about not having one outside of the Staples Center.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Clearly, there are too many to pick. But if I had to pick one, I think Battier is a pretty good choice. He exemplifies the best aspects of Duke basketball--extreme effort, hard-nosed defense, smart play, and a willingness to sacrifice individual statistics for team success, along with being an excellent student and a person of good character.

We like to think that describes every Duke basketball player, but it really, really describes Shane Battier.

House G
05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I once thought about starting a thread that is somewhat similar. If there were a Mount Rushmore of Duke basketball, whom would you select and why? It is difficult to select four players/coaches, let alone one. I would have included players from throughout the annals of Duke basketball. Would anyone care to take a stab at this?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Clearly this thread is begging for a poll! :cool:

hudlow
05-25-2011, 09:04 AM
A couple of Cameron Crazies...

Duke of Nashville
05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
A couple of Cameron Crazies...

Yes,

Crazy Towel Guy, Viking Guy, Mullet Man, Gorilla, Speed-o...just to name a few that come to mind.

In addition to Eddie Cameron's tribute outside cameron, the obvious choice would be Mike Krzyzewski. ( Yes, I know it was in the original post)

HoyaEagle
05-25-2011, 09:32 AM
If you were to have a Mt. Rushmore of Duke basketball, would it be exclusively players? OR we gonna have it have coaches as well...clearly one of the 4 spots is gonna depend on this.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
But in truth, we could field a team of statues! :cool:
Dean Smith already did that. He called it the "four corners".

As far as a statue for one of our own, that is incredibly hard. I actually like the idea of one for the Crazies, since they embody the spirit of Cameron.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Dean Smith already did that. He called it the "four corners".

As far as a statue for one of our own, that is incredibly hard. I actually like the idea of one for the Crazies, since they embody the spirit of Cameron.
Our team of statues would be like your picture of Kyrie - it would be a blurrrrrr!:cool:

elvis14
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Wow, that's a tough one:

Dawkins - really took Duke to that elite level
Christian - 2 NC, perfect game vs UK
Bobby - 2 NC, all time assist leader
Grant - 2 NC, great at everything
Shane - NC, great at everthing
JJ - all time points leader

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go Grant Hill. I really don't want to pick just one and I'm sure there's someone I've forgotten that should have made my short list!

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow, that's a tough one:

Dawkins - really took Duke to that elite level
Christian - 2 NC, perfect game vs UK
Bobby - 2 NC, all time assist leader
Grant - 2 NC, great at everything
Shane - NC, great at everthing
JJ - all time points leader

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go Grant Hill. I really don't want to pick just one and I'm sure there's someone I've forgotten that should have made my short list!

Dick Groat? Art Heyman? Or are you staying in the K era?

Indoor66
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Dick Groat? Art Heyman? Or are you staying in the K era?

How about Bill Werber - 1st All American? And Vic Bubas - Coach of the 1st three Duke Final Four Teams over a period of 10 years.

devildeac
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Wow, a team of statues? That team would be even slower than our (fill in year here) team.:rolleyes:;)

You and I and 3 walk-ons from DBR might even be able to beat that bunch of stiffs:p.

ricks68
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes,

Crazy Towel Guy, Viking Guy, Mullet Man, Gorilla, Speed-o...just to name a few that come to mind.

In addition to Eddie Cameron's tribute outside cameron, the obvious choice would be Mike Krzyzewski. ( Yes, I know it was in the original post)

A group statue of great Crazies of the past and present. It's the spirit that should be memorialized, not an individual. What would happen if a new player or coach appeared that was even more remarkable than one from the past? The spirit, however, I do not think can ever be surpassed. Seriously. It would be really neat.

Ricks

HoyaEagle
05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
A group statue of great Crazies of the past and present. It's the spirit that should be memorialized, not an individual. What would happen if a new player or coach appeared that was even more remarkable than one from the past? The spirit, however, I do not think can ever be surpassed. Seriously. It would be really neat.

Ricks

Can we do chest up for Speedo guy?:p

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, a team of statues?

You and I and 3 walk-ons from DBR might even be able to beat that bunch of stiffs.
The statues would have higher verticals than we would, devildeac. Sad, but true. :mad::p

gus
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
If we're erecting statues... surely Taymon Domzalski deserves mention too.

Reilly
05-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Who deserves a statue outside of Cameron?

Wallace Wade, in a snazzy fedora ...

Makes me wonder: how many statues are there at Duke -- Washington Duke on East, JB Duke on West, Wallace Wade ... any others?

uh_no
05-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Makes me wonder: how many statues are there at Duke -- Washington Duke on East, JB Duke on West, Wallace Wade ... any others?

washington duke on east
JB duke on west
benjamin duke on east
wallace wade (is really a bust...not a statue)
the camel guy next to the bio sci science building
theres a statue of a woman holding face in the teer courtyard (its really creepy) (the last two are more sculptures than statues...shrug)

there are 1 statues adorning the entrance to the duke chapel...they are
Thomas Coke, Francis Asbury, George Whitefield, Girolamo Savonarola , Martin Luther, John Wycliffe, Thomas Jefferson , Robert E. Lee, and Sidney Lanier

Yes...duke is baller enough to have a statue of robert E lee looking over the entrance to the chapel

there are of course the statues in the memorial chapel (of the duke family), and the busts of the entire duke family in the washington duke.

Reilly
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Thomas Coke ....

As a former tourguide, I used to be able to name all of those around the Chapel portal. Turns out it is meant to be Thomas Coke but a mistake was made. See:

http://www.chapel.duke.edu/building/portal.html

Reilly
05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
...duke is baller enough to have a statue of robert E lee looking over the entrance to the chapel ....

Wonder what Jalen Rose thinks of that ...

Reilly
05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Murray, Cameron and Coombs have statues, too ...

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/histnotes/campus_statuary.html

devildeac
05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
If we're erecting statues... surely Taymon Domzalski deserves mention too.

Wrong university:rolleyes:;). Besides, who would take the time out to build it?

Reilly
05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
... who would take the time out to build it?

What, are people too busy watching Leave it to Beaver re-runs or something ...

The Gordog
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
washington duke on east
JB duke on west
benjamin duke on east
wallace wade (is really a bust...not a statue)
the camel guy next to the bio sci science building
theres a statue of a woman holding face in the teer courtyard (its really creepy) (the last two are more sculptures than statues...shrug)

Thomas Coke, Francis Asbury, George Whitefield, Girolamo Savonarola , Martin Luther, John Wycliffe, Thomas Jefferson , Robert E. Lee, and Sidney Lanier

Yes...duke is baller enough to have a statue of robert E lee looking over the entrance to the chapel

there are of course the statues in the memorial chapel (of the duke family), and the busts of the entire duke family in the washington duke.

There used to be a Johnny Appleseed type guy over on East. "The Sower" IIRC. Is he still there?

The Gordog
05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Clearly, there are too many to pick. But if I had to pick one, I think Battier is a pretty good choice. He exemplifies the best aspects of Duke basketball--extreme effort, hard-nosed defense, smart play, and a willingness to sacrifice individual statistics for team success, along with being an excellent student and a person of good character.

We like to think that describes every Duke basketball player, but it really, really describes Shane Battier.

The question will be resolved when Battier wins the White House and becomes our first alum/POTUS.:D

william e king
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Statues on campus to tell the history: Washington, James B. and Benjamin on East and West, not the sarcophagi in the Chapel and a bas releif of President Few in Allen Building. The Athletic Department has a series to tell that story, usually outside of specific buildings: Wallace Wade, Eddie Cameron, Bill Murray, Jack Coombs (baseball) and Tom Butters (on Golf Course).There may be more since I retired in 2002. There are busts and bas reliefs inside of numerous buildings like the Music Building, Public Policy and the library. There was a dramatic statue honoring the 65th General Hospital for its work in England during WWII on the hospital gounds but it has been removed for construction. Not sure when and where it will be replaced. And don't forget the "Camel Statue", the first and only one to honor a faculty member, Knut Schmidt-Neilsen, between BioSci and Gross Chem. The oldest statue is The Sower on East Campus mounted in 1914. Formal portraits are all over the place with the most honored in the Gothic Reading Room in the library.
Honoring the Duke family first set the standard for statuary high on purpose. That was intended from the beginning with plaster death masks being made for some to achieve exact likeness. Oddly enough, students objected when J. B. was placed in front of the Chapel with that big fat cigar in his hand. They suggested moving it to what is now the Davison Quad. President Few said in effect forget it, that place has been reserved for him. Years later, but before his daughter attended Duke, Tom Wolfe wrote that was one of his favorite statues, saying "He is leaning debonairly on his walking stick and has a great round belly and a jolly look on his face and a cigar in his left hand. The statue comes right out and says 'He made a lot of money in tobacco [and electric power production], he gave you this place, he loved smoking, and here he is!"
Shameless plug -- see If Gargoyles Could Talk: Sketches of Duke University.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Shameless plug -- see If Gargoyles Could Talk: Sketches of Duke University.
I never knew that book existed..so thanks for the shameless plug! I do believe I have found the perfect father's day present. :D
For those interested, I will help with his shameless plug.
http://www.cap-press.com/books/isbn/9780890898147/If+Gargoyles+Could+Talk

Actually I might have to get two..one for me as well.

Thanks for the history lesson in your post as well.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
The statues would have higher verticals than we would, devildeac. Sad, but true. :mad::p

Perhaps, but they would be "alarmingly non-athletic." Of course, not having met you, I can't say whether the same would be true for you. ;)

lmb
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
It would be cool to have basketball players' statues at places on campus other than Cameron. The most revered players are revered for their total involvement in the student body experience. I'm not an alum, so I'm not familiar with the campus, but you could put Battier in front of the chapel because he was a religion major or Grant in front of the art gallery (?) because of his art collection.

Then the campus could be littered with statues!

CharlestonDevil
05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Would love to see one of these outside of Cameron:

- Laettner with his hands in the air after "The Shot"
- Grant saving Hurleys alley-oop in the NC
- Shane's backhanded tip in the NC (my all time favorite moment)

and I know it would not be typical Duke class but would love to see it anyway.... Dhantay doing pushups over Virginia.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Excellent suggestion for Wallace Wade to be honored with a statue outside Cameron....perhaps there could also be a plaque to explain Coach Wade's role in the creation of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

rasputin
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
The question will be resolved when Battier wins the White House and becomes our first alum/POTUS.:D

I guess we're not counting Tricky Dick here.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 06:44 PM
I guess we're not counting Tricky Dick here.

Gee, I didn't know he was on the basketball team. ;)

(More seriously, he was at Duke for law school, not undergrad, so we don't have to count him if we don't feel like it.....)

uh_no
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
It would be cool to have basketball players' statues at places on campus other than Cameron. The most revered players are revered for their total involvement in the student body experience. I'm not an alum, so I'm not familiar with the campus, but you could put Battier in front of the chapel because he was a religion major or Grant in front of the art gallery (?) because of his art collection.

Then the campus could be littered with statues!

I'm not sure whether this is sarcastic, or not, but even though players are well integrated with the student body, it would be silly to think that the best players are the ones who are most involved on campus. Nolan Smith is obviously the exception, but players' greatness on the basketball court does not (or did not while I was there) translate to being a great campus citizen. This is not to say they were BAD citizens, just that there are many more worthy students who do not play basketball.

Take Nolan for instance, everyone recognizes him and he loves being a student. One could argue he's among the best campus 'citizens,' even said, someone like Mike Lefevre, the student body president, had much more of an effect on student culture than did nolan.

While the basketball players are no doubt great individuals, it is important to remember that Duke is FILLED with great individuals who are are as good at what they do as the basketball team is at what they do. Just because they aren't on national TV every week doesn't mean they are any less 'worthy' of statues on campus than are the basketball players.

Lets honor the amazing duke athletes where they have made their biggest accomplishments: on the athletics campus.

Wander
05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Would love to see one of these outside of Cameron:

- Laettner with his hands in the air after "The Shot"
- Grant saving Hurleys alley-oop in the NC
- Shane's backhanded tip in the NC (my all time favorite moment)

and I know it would not be typical Duke class but would love to see it anyway.... Dhantay doing pushups over Virginia.

I like the idea of having them in famous poses like this.

Scheyer with his mouth open?
Redick giving the "shocker" to UNC fans?
Henderson with his elbow in the air? (I kid, I kid)

uh_no
05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
I like the idea of having them in famous poses like this.

Scheyer with his mouth open?
Redick giving the "shocker" to UNC fans?
Henderson with his elbow in the air? (I kid, I kid)

I vote for Thomas Hill crying on the sidelines after the shot....or Lang lying on the ground