PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill on Homophobia

MChambers
05-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Grant Hill was on NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday, talking about his NBA spot against gay slurs. He was great, of course. He is so smart and so well spoken. Scott Simon asked him about taking charges (Grant said he was brainwashed at Duke), Jalen Rose (Grant said that Rose had apologized), and Charles Barkley's remarks on homophobia. Listen carefully -- Grant was very precise, correcting Scott Simon a couple of times, but in a very gentle way. He really is amazing.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/21/136525475/homophobia-in-sports-no-longer-fair-play

moonpie23
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
so well spoken, so smooth and so forward thinking to accept this opportunity to make this public service announcement.

thanks, grant...

WakeDevil
05-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Explain to the rest of us why his opinion is so important.

Duvall
05-22-2011, 08:26 PM

He's a distinguished alumnus of the university and the basketball program. Do we need another reason?

Grey Devil
05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
As the father of a gay daughter I am thrilled that Grant has publicly spoken up on this subject. I have always been impressed with Grant's personality and equanimity when in the spotlight (and of course, his basketball skills), but taking a public stand on an issue like this requires an additional level of courage and conviction, especially in the macho world of professional sports.

Thank you, Grant!

Grey Devil

BD80
05-22-2011, 09:00 PM

Unlike so many, #33 only speaks publicly about something if it is important and he knows what he is talking about.

moonpie23
05-22-2011, 09:39 PM

did you question the importance of his rebuttal to jalen rose recently? i can't seem to find it if you did.....

why would his opinion NOT be important considering his history with Duke athletics? I'm wondering if it's the subject that compels you to question it at all.

no one is saying that his opinion is any more or less important, i think it's just kind of odd that you bring it up just for this...

RoyalBlue08
05-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Grant is such a class act. I am very glad that he represents Duke in such a positive and public way to this day.

diveonthefloor
05-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Guess Noah didn't get the memo. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/05/video-did-joakim-noah-also-get-caught-using-gay-slur-chicago-bulls-miami-heat-nba-playoffs-eastern-conference-finals/1)

DevilWearsPrada
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Guess Noah didn't get the memo. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/05/video-did-joakim-noah-also-get-caught-using-gay-slur-chicago-bulls-miami-heat-nba-playoffs-eastern-conference-finals/1)

Did the announcers even mention that Joakim Noah made Gay Slurs? Seems like I read, that they didnt. But the cameras, do catch everything. Was there a fine for making Slurs?

Grant Hill, always classy! :D

InSpades
05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Did the announcers even mention that Joakim Noah made Gay Slurs? Seems like I read, that they didnt. But the cameras, do catch everything. Was there a fine for making Slurs?

Kobe got fined $100k for saying what I assume was the same thing. Noah will get similiar I assume.

COYS
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Kobe got a $100,000 fine. (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/kobe_bryant_apologizes_for_homophobic_uAeU12Kn0rLm CkvLUU9KxK).

I actually don't think it's a big deal that the announcers didn't mention it. They're usually encouraged to ignore any bad language that sometimes gets through the mics from the fans or players. It brings less attention to the whole thing. I'm cool with quietly fining Noah assuming that the NBA views the evidence to be convincing enough to warrant a fine. It sends a simple message that the league will not tolerate such language. I think the NBA makes a lot of mistakes, but fining players for using a gay slur is not one of them.

AZLA
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM

He's the face and leader of the Suns. Their CEO came out and has been a major topic of discussion in sports, of which he was asked to comment on. He's been embroiled in the controversy stemming from the most watched 30 for 30 documentary on the largest network in the world (ESPN / ABC). Had a full-page editorial recently published in the NY Times. He's also going to be retiring from the NBA in a few years and will no doubt be either a prominent front office executive; film producer; on air personality; community activist; or perhaps even a political leader. Point is, when Grant talks, the public and news outlets listen - he's relevant. Any more you need to know?

WakeDevil
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Duvall
05-23-2011, 04:04 PM

For the NBA, perhaps. But the NBA is a business (or an association of businesses), so I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

For Hill, it probably isn't.

ikiru36
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Not really sure what this means. Sadly, coming out against Homophobia is hardly a 'slam dunk' to benefit one's endorsements or popularity. And of all the Duke players who might be driven by needing money, Grant Hill is pretty close to the bottom of the list. (Just ask Jalen Rose :0)

Anyways, Grant being vocal in this way makes me even more proud to be a Duke fan. Also, general kudos to the NBA (especially Charles Barkley last week) for supporting this campaign to eradicate the derogatory use of the f-word and the g-word.

Go Grant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fgb
05-23-2011, 07:05 PM

it's all about trolling.

moonpie23
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

you've made two ambiguous posts now. Both slanted negatively towards Grant.

How about coming on out and saying what your position is, or why you have a problem with Grant making this statement for this cause?

Class of '94
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Like other posters have noted, I don't know where you stand on this or why you seem to be questioning Grant's motives; but I will say this, if you think it's all about the money for Grant, you should check out Grant's twitter account. He's received some very ignorant and homophobic tweets from people because of his stance. I could argue that Grant is risking more in terms of the $$$$$$$ and endorsements by making a public stance on a very sensitive issue in this country than by not saying anything; and I respect those people that take a stance on what they think is right despite what others might negatively say or think about it.

killerleft
05-24-2011, 10:11 AM
it's all about trolling.

Bingo! Whatever WakeDevil is trying to say, trolling is the nicest thing we can assume might be his purpose... unless WD wants to clarify his statements a bit more.

-jk
05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, this discussion has wandered away from its origins...

-jk