PDA

View Full Version : UConn loses 2 more scholarships

-jk
05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Due to APR failures, UConn has lost two more scholarships (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_8574/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=OYGMgxU5), taking them down to 10.

Reportedly, Calhoun is still iffy on retirement. Perhaps this will help him decide.

-jk

SCMatt33
05-20-2011, 09:57 PM
The worst part about this is that with early entries, transfers, and incoming players, UConn only has 9 guys on scholarship so far for next year. All this effectively does is take away a potential scholarship for a deserving walk-on, who I'm sure had little to do with the APR performance. I'm not going to rant on the shortcomings of the NCAA or the APR because for most sports (specifically equivalency sports), scholarship reductions are a huge deal as NCAA limits are less than what is needed to field a team. It's just toothless for basketball since very few teams have a rotation that goes deeper than 10 guys and its hard in this day and age to bring in multiple guys who will ride the bench completely as freshman.

The problem is that I can't think of a reasonable replacement punishment that the NCAA has the jurisdiction to enforce and could be fairly applied to all levels of DI basketball. Maybe there's an idea out there of a legitimate way to change it, but I can't think of anything now.

moonpie23
05-20-2011, 10:37 PM
too bad they didn't make jim serve his punishment in the first few games of the tourny.....

he should have been suspended for the playoffs...

BD80
05-20-2011, 11:17 PM
The worst part about this is that with early entries, transfers, and incoming players, UConn only has 9 guys on scholarship so far for next year. All this effectively does is take away a potential scholarship for a deserving walk-on, who I'm sure had little to do with the APR performance. I'm not going to rant on the shortcomings of the NCAA or the APR because for most sports (specifically equivalency sports), scholarship reductions are a huge deal as NCAA limits are less than what is needed to field a team. It's just toothless for basketball since very few teams have a rotation that goes deeper than 10 guys and its hard in this day and age to bring in multiple guys who will ride the bench completely as freshman. ...

Is it only the scholarship "student"/athletes that count toward the APR? If so, the scholly reduction could lead to future reductions. Without the more academically engaged athletes (the walk-ons) using scholly #s 11 - 13, the average academic performance will decline further.

SCMatt33
05-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Is it only the scholarship "student"/athletes that count toward the APR? If so, the scholly reduction could lead to future reductions. Without the more academically engaged athletes (the walk-ons) using scholly #s 11 - 13, the average academic performance will decline further.

I'm pretty sure that all team members count towards the APR. In major college basketball, you rarely see walk-ons play, but that's certainly not the case in every sport, and the APR is the same across all sports.

Now that I have thought a little more, I think I have the start of an idea. Theoretically, low APR scores are the results of teams spending too much time focused on athletics as opposed to academics. The NCAA can't force teams to put more time into academics, but they can regulate how much time is spent on athletics. Maybe the NCAA could impose restrictions on the number of practice hours and days for teams in violation. If the penalties are severe enough, it would certainly hurt the program and act as a deterrent. I'm not sure of specifics or how plausible enforcement is, but it seems like a good idea to me. You don't prevent students from receiving aid and they are put in a better environment to receive an education.

UrinalCake
05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't view the APR as a perfect indicator of a team's academic record, but I do like that it is finally showing some teeth. Schools that fail to graduate players or keep them academically qualified should face repercussions. This is the first time I can recall a prominent school actually facing some consequences for its actions. It's only a matter of time before this catches up to Calipari and his band of one-and-done's.

I agree that losing scholarships may not be the best form of punishment. Unfortunately, whatever punishment you do impose is going to hurt players who probably aren't the ones responsible for the low APR, since the APR is calculated over a several year window and the guys who didn't graduate or stay eligible are most likely gone.

So, a more relevant question to us - does this give Duke a leg up on Andre Drummond?

jefreema
05-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Well, I think America can safely say "yeah, we saw this coming". Losing two scholarships for next year due to poor scores. Oh and for everybody that was dismissing the fashionable stance of the ncaa championship game being "good vs. bad".....Butler got a perfect score of 1000.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/05/24/apr-report.ap/index.html?sct=cb_t2_a6

jefreema
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
darn it. i didn't see this existing thread AT ALL. i'm sitting at work in the middle of the night thinking i really stumbled across some new info. sigh. i should really start looking at the dates articles are posted. sorry everybody.:confused:

moonpie23
05-26-2011, 09:03 PM
man, i was hoping there was some new info and they were losing two more......

oh well..

BD80
05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
In related news, uCon campus police anticipate a 16% reduction in campus crime next year.