PDA

View Full Version : "T.J." Hairston

Kedsy
05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I think it's hilarious that in the front page article about Duke misspelling P.J. Hairston's name, DBR misspells his name as "T.J." Hairston. Please tell me it's intentional.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I hope that if/when he starts in Cameron, he's welcomed with "Hi TJ".

mkline09
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I think it's hilarious that in the front page article about Duke misspelling P.J. Hairston's name, DBR misspells his name as "T.J." Hairston. Please tell me it's intentional.

Yes it was intentional. I believe they are taking a jab at his statement that Duke couldn't spell his name correctly during the recruiting process.

MCFinARL
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM

I suspect it is, although who knows what might happen in the wee morning hours when they do these posts.

Not so hilarious, however, is P. J. Hairston's claim that he received correspondence from Duke addressed to T. J. Harrison. If true, it suggests some very sloppy work. I'd hate to think the university is risking alienating potential recruits with careless errors.

Jderf
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I suspect it is, although who knows what might happen in the wee morning hours when they do these posts.

Not so hilarious, however, is P. J. Hairston's claim that he received correspondence from Duke addressed to T. J. Harrison. If true, it suggests some very sloppy work. I'd hate to think the university is risking alienating potential recruits with careless errors.

I'd bet it happened one time or so and Hairston is just making a joke about it. Somehow I doubt that he based his college decision solely on where he could find the lowest typo-rate.

gumbomoop
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM

My thoughts exactly. Too funny.

On the substance of the first of P.J.'s complaints - that Duke couldn't get his name right - if accurate, and esp if it happened more than once, bonehead mistake by Duke, as the main page comment duly notes.

As to the second of his complaints - that Duke is "too mechanical" - it's perhaps among the now-dozens of urban legends about K and Duke. We Duke fans could provide plenty of examples of how flexible K is [compared to.... never mind], but all to no avail.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
He was mad that everything was addressed to "Josh"

CharlestonDevil
05-16-2011, 12:47 PM
He was mad that everything was addressed to "Josh"

^THIS

dukeballboy88
05-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Im good friends with Coach Price, the head coach for Dudley High School where P.J. went and from what I got from our convo it is PJ and Johnny Dawkins were tight and when JD left, Duke never seemed serious about him after that.

Im glad because we might not have Austin if we signed PJ.

MCFinARL
05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd bet it happened one time or so and Hairston is just making a joke about it. Somehow I doubt that he based his college decision solely on where he could find the lowest typo-rate.

Well, no, I would hope not. And you are probably right that this was likely a joking inflation of a single incident.

But imagine this--you have to make a choice (between two job applicants, say, or two companies that want your business), and the alternatives seem pretty even except that one of them has misspelled your name. Wouldn't that influence you just a bit?

Of course, that's hypothetical, since it appears that T.J. (I wonder if they ever sent him letters addressed to T.J. Hooper) did, in fact, have other reasons for choosing UNC over Duke, even if we can't quite figure out from his comments what they were.

Class of '94
05-16-2011, 01:55 PM
My thoughts exactly. Too funny.

On the substance of the first of P.J.'s complaints - that Duke couldn't get his name right - if accurate, and esp if it happened more than once, bonehead mistake by Duke, as the main page comment duly notes.

As to the second of his complaints - that Duke is "too mechanical" - it's perhaps among the now-dozens of urban legends about K and Duke. We Duke fans could provide plenty of examples of how flexible K is [compared to.... never mind], but all to no avail.

I guess he hasn't watched Carolina the last two years if he thinks Duke is too mechanical. I know your post wasn't trying to go there; but sorry....I couldn't resist.:)

airowe
05-16-2011, 03:12 PM
From a coach who went with him on his visit to Duke, "Everything was spelled correctly when we got there."

TJ grew up a Duke fan. Maybe he didn't get as much attention from the school as he would have liked?

loldevilz
05-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I already dislike this T.J. kid. what a loser.

Kedsy
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
From a coach who went with him on his visit to Duke, "Everything was spelled correctly when we got there."

TJ grew up a Duke fan.

Now, even Airowe is doing it. Is this kid's name going to be "T.J." from now on?

devildeac
05-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Now, even Airowe is doing it. Is this kid's name going to be "T.J." from now on?

Why not;)?

And when he comes to Cameron, the Crazies can chant, "Hi TJ" and "JJ's better": clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gif

Scorp4me
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Check the article. It wasn't just the first name he claims that got wrong. It was the last name too. "“They would have ‘T.J. Harrison’ or something like that."

Definitely think he has a new nickname. Hope the rest of the ACC schools pick up on it. Think someone could give them a little note before each game about TJ :)

BD80
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
"T.J." is a big step up from "P.J."

I say we go with "jammies;" I see his "late night with ol' roy" costume having footies.

gumbomoop
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I guess he hasn't watched Carolina the last two years if he thinks Duke is too mechanical. I know your post wasn't trying to go there; but sorry....I couldn't resist.:)

You're right, sort of; I was indeed trying [or at least pretending to try] to avoid going there. Hence the parenthetical remark, "compared to.... never mind."

El_Diablo
05-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Last year, Reggie Bullock also claimed Duke's system was too mechanical. I wonder which coach is selling that to these kids on the recruiting trail? :rolleyes:

DeepBlue70
05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Wonder if it could be that people are confusing having very distinct roles, a high K value, with being mechanical.

Indoor66
05-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Not enough street ball.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Mechanical = don't jack it up whenever the urge hits 'ya.
Mechanical = earn your playing time.
Mechanical = setting screens and blocking out.

Yup, we're that.

turnandburn55
05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
These recruiting stories turn on a dime, and it's the smallest things sometimes...

I heard the Tar Heel staff thought they almost had JJ Reddick and Sheldon Williams in the bag before they came to Duke...

Gthoma2a
05-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Mechanical? I guess having an offense is considered mechanical. The thing that he says is true, we expect people to know an offense. Our coach hasn't stated something to the effect of, "if my teams have to set up an offense, it is going to be a long season." He likes running and improvisation, but where did that get the Heat last night? Besides, it hasn't stopped our players from looking very good and being very successful.

weezie
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
OK, I'm lazy but I didn't see his "real" name spelled out on a cursory search. What does PJ stand for? The Crazies just need to call him whatever his complete name is. Maybe that will soothe his hurt feelings.:rolleyes:

Newton_14
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I would be interested to know how many times the mistake was made in correspondence with TeeJay and what they actually were. Even though it is funny in one respect, especially since his choice ended up being UNC, I would hate to think we lost a kid due to that type of issue. I would expect this is one issue that will get corrected in a hurry, for future recruits.

Regarding the "mechanical" "system", sigh. I personally detest negative recruiting, as it is just plain childish. I would really hope Duke does not participate in that practice. (Would bet it does not occur)

Every time I see a comment like that, two thoughts immediately come to mind. One is the aforementioned negative recruiting by the light blue crowd, and others. The second, is defense. I just believe most of the kids making those comments, got the idea from the negative recruiter, and if you peel the onion back a layer or two, they are afraid of committing to defense.

The one constant "system" K has is defense. He tweaks it occasionally, but the principles are the same year in and year out for the most part. Especially the help defense aspect. It takes time to learn it, and committment to master it. At the end of the day though, mastering it makes one a much more well-rounded player.

Some kids are all about offense and not entirely interested in defense. Not surprising TJ ended up being a Tar Heel given these comments.

I always thought it was funny that Strickland made the comments about "hoping K's system did not mess up Kyrie's game", then a couple of months into the season Roy gives us the quote about Strickland still not grasping Roy's system after "Practice 53". That was a classic.:)

darjum
05-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Whilst on the subject of T.J. is it possible he gets serious burn over the alternative shooting guards/small forwards? HB is a given, but when you look at the other options, I feel that Dexter Strickland, Leslie McDonald and Reggie Bullock are all overrated and neither Strickland or Bullock can hit the 3 consistently and McDoland isn't as capable in other areas of his game and tends to be erratic. At least T.J., by all accounts, can stretch the floor. Either way Tar Heel boys, wait till you get a load of Rivers!

The comments about Duke's system being mechanical is quite strange, considering 'other teams' reliance on playing a certain system and not having the ability to alter that system? Unlike Duke in 2010, drastically altering their style of play to take into account their roster.

anon
05-17-2011, 01:59 AM
These recruiting stories turn on a dime, and it's the smallest things sometimes...

I heard the Tar Heel staff thought they almost had JJ Reddick and Sheldon Williams in the bag before they came to Duke...

Yup—they did. But they sent out their offer letters with the names spelled like that and, what do you know, their names are hanging in Cameron today.

MChambers
05-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Whilst on the subject of T.J. is it possible he gets serious burn over the alternative shooting guards/small forwards? HB is a given, but when you look at the other options, I feel that Dexter Strickland, Leslie McDonald and Reggie Bullock are all overrated and neither Strickland or Bullock can hit the 3 consistently and McDoland isn't as capable in other areas of his game and tends to be erratic. At least T.J., by all accounts, can stretch the floor. Either way Tar Heel boys, wait till you get a load of Rivers!

The comments about Duke's system being mechanical is quite strange, considering 'other teams' reliance on playing a certain system and not having the ability to alter that system? Unlike Duke in 2010, drastically altering their style of play to take into account their roster.

Strickland and McDonald are their best defensive options in the backcourt. Unless T.J. can pressure the ball (and it doesn't seem likely, given his size), I'd be surprised if he took minutes away from those two.

killerleft
05-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Is mechanical something like using the same lesson plans you copied when you left Dean Smith? Or refusing to change your "system" to better fit your players?

Evidently not. Good luck, J.R. Harestone.

Devilsfan
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Mechanical, maybe. I think we call it fundamentally sound and having a high basketball I.Q. Hey, I don't think it's bad that we are capable of reading and understanding plays and game plans not just pushing the ball and playing a modified form of street ball.

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Ugh...now this is a headlining story on Yahoo.com...bleah. (Click on the article from Yahoo and it leads to the story on Rivals.)
"How Team Flubbed Chances With Top Recruit"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/UNC-recruit-P-J-Hairston-Duke-couldn-8217-t-?urn=ncaab-wp2870

This is a nice quote buried in the middle of it though.

Of course, Duke certainly won't miss Hairston all that much considering Mike Krzyzewski managed to land the second-best 2011 recruiting class in the nation (http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011) behind only Kentucky (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/kaf/).

CDu
05-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Strickland and McDonald are their best defensive options in the backcourt. Unless T.J. can pressure the ball (and it doesn't seem likely, given his size), I'd be surprised if he took minutes away from those two.

I think Strickland's minutes are safe, as he's their best perimeter defender and will likely remain their primary backup at PG. I'd guess that Hairston, McDonald, and Bullock will be the ones battling for the backup SG and SF minutes. And that may come down to who is hitting shots (though I'd agree that McDonald is more likely to get minutes at the 2 than Bullock). One of them isn't going to be happy with his playing time unless Williams changes his philosophy and plays Barnes some at the 4 spot.

johnb
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
"Mechanical" may not be the right word, but having watched some Duke practices on tv, it does seem like the coaching is quite technical. I am not sure how we compare to other teams, and we obviously have plenty of athleticism on the team as well, but I'd think it a legitimate concern for many players.

It reminds me of a story that Jim Valvano told while trying to prepare his team to play Duke. He started to draw out Duke plays on the chalkboard, and one of his players interrupted him and said, "Coach, we don't even know our own plays. You really think we're gonna learn Duke's?"

As for the misspelling--if I were a hot shot recruit, I'd expect them to get my name right, and I'd also expect a lot of love. In his case, we may have backed off a bit (we're pretty loaded as it is), and he may be accurately assessing the situation.

All in all, reasonable reasons as far as I'm concerned.

Starter
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
I'll be honest here. This sounds really fishy to me. With the attention to detail that Duke basketball pays to literally everything they do, does anyone here think that they're really going to put the wrong name on a letter to a 5-star recruit, much less multiple letters, much less spell it wrong in different ways on different letters? Especially with the understanding that it would be a justifiable reason for a recruit to be turned off if the name on the letter is spelled wrong? Especially when they successfully recruited a guy with the same last name?

I don't.

Not to simply toss this around, but I find myself very inclined to think that Hairston is flat-out lying -- whether it be to tweak a rival and ingratiate himself to the fans of his new school, or as Airowe said, because he feels scorned by Duke. Could I be wrong here? Absolutely, I suppose this could have happened the way that P.J. is describing it. But unless I actually see one of these letters? To me, this sounds a whole lot like duck tales.

We know this program. We know how they operate. This doesn't sound like something Duke would have done.

DevilWearsPrada
05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I'll be honest here. This sounds really fishy to me. With the attention to detail that Duke basketball pays to literally everything they do, does anyone here think that they're really going to put the wrong name on a letter to a 5-star recruit, much less multiple letters, much less spell it wrong in different ways on different letters? Especially with the understanding that it would be a justifiable reason for a recruit to be turned off if the name on the letter is spelled wrong? Especially when they successfully recruited a guy with the same last name?

I don't.

Not to simply toss this around, but I find myself very inclined to think that Hairston is flat-out lying -- whether it be to tweak a rival and ingratiate himself to the fans of his new school, or as Airowe said, because he feels scorned by Duke. Could I be wrong here? Absolutely, I suppose this could have happened the way that P.J. is describing it. But unless I actually see one of these letters? To me, this sounds a whole lot like duck tales.

We know this program. We know how they operate. This doesn't sound like something Duke would have done.

I agree with you!

Any recruitment letter, would be signed by the coach and or the asst coaches and recruiters. Certainly the NAME would be spelled correctly, before the coach signed the letter! Its not like the Undergrad Admissions office, sending out thousands of letters. How many recruitment letters go out each year? Just a few.

When I see the Name "PJ", makes me think of the "Polluted Juice", we made in college days, with fruit, and Everclear, and Hawaiian Punch, and other juices.

sundown
05-17-2011, 03:18 PM

I don't.

I have the same hunch. At the very least it would've been nice (and fairly easy) for someone reporting this story to get their hands on at least some of the letters. It would make for not only a more solid story but a more impactful one: imagine the spectacle of actually seeing multiple letters from Duke that misspelled his name in various ways before going on to express how interested Duke is in him. I'd like to see someone press this story just a bit. If it turns out false, obviously we'd want to know that. If it turns out true, I'd appreciate the lulz that would come from seeing those letters.

Jackson352
05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
As mentioned above, this ridiculous story is now on Yahoo news. As far as I'm concerned, pics or it didn't happen, plain and simple.

CrazieDUMB
05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
How do we know his name isn't really TJ? Where's the birth certificate?

Starter
05-17-2011, 05:27 PM
By the way, I don't think we should play into this obvious attention grab when he comes to Cameron. If it's up to me, no TJ chants, not even excess booing -- no extra attention for a guy who probably won't even get the limited playing time Reggie Bullock did last year on a crowded team. I realize that's probably not realistic to expect, but to play up the "TJ" thing is almost like a tacit admission that there's some basis to it, which I'm highly, highly skeptical of. Not to sound like Mr. Trump, but until I see any sort of proof, the whole thing just sounds very dubious.

uh_no
05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
By the way, I don't think we should play into this obvious attention grab when he comes to Cameron. If it's up to me, no TJ chants, not even excess booing -- no extra attention for a guy who probably won't even get the limited playing time Reggie Bullock did last year on a crowded team. I realize that's probably not realistic to expect, but to play up the "TJ" thing is almost like a tacit admission that there's some basis to it, which I'm highly, highly skeptical of. Not to sound like Mr. Trump, but until I see any sort of proof, the whole thing just sounds very dubious.

I expect to see jj>tj, and good hairston,bad hairston....but he probably won't see a lot of harassment...

BD80
05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
How do we know his name isn't really TJ? Where's the birth certificate?

oh no! a birther!

Newton_14
05-17-2011, 09:47 PM

I don't.

I agree it just does not look like the kind of mistake Duke would make. I'll stop short of calling the kid a liar, but it does beg the question. I too, would like to see evidence. Like I said earlier, if it is true, you can bet the problem has already been snuffed out and corrected.

darjum
05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I think Strickland's minutes are safe, as he's their best perimeter defender and will likely remain their primary backup at PG. I'd guess that Hairston, McDonald, and Bullock will be the ones battling for the backup SG and SF minutes. And that may come down to who is hitting shots (though I'd agree that McDonald is more likely to get minutes at the 2 than Bullock). One of them isn't going to be happy with his playing time unless Williams changes his philosophy and plays Barnes some at the 4 spot.

I actually see another Drew/Marshall situation with Strickland/Bullock/McDonald and T.J. UNC has so much size and need to create room for their bigs (Zeller and McAdoo) and their malnourished big (Henson) to work, hence the need for a consistent bomber. Barnes is streaky and Marshall hasn't shown range, hence T.J may actually need to start to make UNC as efficient as they can be.

I get that Strickland is a better defender than the rest but his 3pt% is laughable for a shooting guard, .250.

Either way, who really cares about UNCs issues...the time between seasons is too long :(

killerleft
05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Ugh...now this is a headlining story on Yahoo.com...bleah. (Click on the article from Yahoo and it leads to the story on Rivals.)
"How Team Flubbed Chances With Top Recruit"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/UNC-recruit-P-J-Hairston-Duke-couldn-8217-t-?urn=ncaab-wp2870

This is a nice quote buried in the middle of it though.

Harestone is evidently a petty individual who loves to cast stones despite the fact that his initials make you think of a preschooler with bedwetting issues. PJ? Heck, Duke was probably thinking the poor kid needed a more manly nomenclature:D

WiJoe
05-18-2011, 03:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, pics or it didn't happen, plain and simple.

I second that emotion!

moonpie23
05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
aren't coach k's recruitment letters hand written?

Lar77
05-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I agree it just does not look like the kind of mistake Duke would make. I'll stop short of calling the kid a liar, but it does beg the question. I too, would like to see evidence. Like I said earlier, if it is true, you can bet the problem has already been snuffed out and corrected.

Maybe he just couldn't read it.:D

I hope he stays around for a few years. It should be fun.

LSanders
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Bilas' take from Twitter:

"Duke misspelled PJ Hairston's name? That's probably why Coach K recruited me. He probably thought he was recruiting Bias instead."

OldPhiKap
05-18-2011, 08:08 PM

"Duke misspelled PJ Hairston's name? That's probably why Coach K recruited me. He probably thought he was recruiting Bias instead."

Now THAT is funny.

Imagine Len, with Johnny and Tommy? Wow.

kong123
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2011/05/duke-cant-spell-why-unc-is-trouncing-us.html

BD80
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2011/05/duke-cant-spell-why-unc-is-trouncing-us.html

Sorry I wasted my time with that link, all I can say is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0

I find it amusing that the predominantly white carolina prides itself on having a basketball team that is more "black." I can imagine Billy Joe Bob and his cousin, Uncle Bubba, braggin' 'bout how "street" the carolina players are compared to the "white" Duke squad.

DevilWearsPrada
05-19-2011, 02:55 PM

LMAO. Jay Bilas has the best remarks on his Twitter. So smart and witty. GREAT Post!

Aditya
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Did anyone else notice that the title on the frontpage is "Kryie Media Assault Underway"? I hope Kyrie doesn't retroactively choose an inferior institution as a result.

DukieTiger
05-20-2011, 09:51 PM
If TJ had a problem playing in a system that was too mechanical, I wonder how he will feel playing alongside Barnes' mechanical personality.

Seriously though, Duke got its wing in Mike Gbinije- who seems like a MUCH better fit anyways. People freaking out like this is a sign of poor recruiting by Duke are just being silly.

And that SethCurrySavesDuke guy is just off his rocker. He thinks Luol Deng is the last good wing Duke's had? He wants to compare Hairston to Deng- who has a solid 3-4 inches on him? He thinks UNC is whooping Duke on the recruiting trail? Really? And don't even get me started on the assertion that UNC will win multiple titles before Duke wins its next one. Sheesh!