PDA

View Full Version : Dean Smith got married in the Chapel?

J.Blink
05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
The article "The Other Capel (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=40637)" on the main page had the line "Heck, Dean Smith got married in Duke Chapel."

A brief google didn't turn anything up (or at least, I wasn't able to find anything). Is this actually true? Anything else about this? Seems like it should be an interesting story!

ThePublisher
05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I second this question. Please confirm. Talk about a great tid bit of information to pull out during a coach k v smith conversation.

Farlan
05-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I know that his car got smacked by a Duke bus in front of the Chapel but have not heard about Dean getting married there.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2011, 08:34 PM
I know that his car got smacked by a Duke bus in front of the Chapel but have not heard about Dean getting married there.

IIRC, it was right before the Duke-UNC game. I seem to remember a photo in the Chronicle of his car door knocked off, with "Go to Hell Carolina" on the front of the bus. But that is too good to be true, so I guess my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyone remember better?

Thurber Whyte
05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
IIRC, it was right before the Duke-UNC game. I seem to remember a photo in the Chronicle of his car door knocked off, with "Go to Hell Carolina" on the front of the bus. But that is too good to be true, so I guess my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyone remember better?

My recollection was that it was not on a game day. Rather Coach Smith had some friends or relatives visiting and drove them over to Durham to see the Chapel.

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
My recollection was that it was not on a game day. Rather Coach Smith had some friends or relatives visiting and drove them over to Durham to see the Chapel.
Was he telling him about the lovely wedding that he remembered?

BD80
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
The article "The Other Capel (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=40637)" on the main page had the line "Heck, Dean Smith got married in Duke Chapel."

A brief google didn't turn anything up (or at least, I wasn't able to find anything). Is this actually true? Anything else about this? Seems like it should be an interesting story!

So Dukies consider chapel hill to be the entrance to hell (or one of the levels thereof).

Dean considers Duke Chapel to be the gates to matrimony.

A distinction without a difference?

Reilly
05-15-2011, 10:56 PM

I believe he had his parents w/ him (or at least his mom).

elvis14
05-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Two questions: 1) really a Dean Smith topic? Do we really need another UNC topic at all? Ever? 2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F

J.Blink
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Two questions: 1) really a Dean Smith topic? Do we really need another UNC topic at all? Ever? 2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F

If it bothers you, just think of it as a Duke Chapel thread instead :p

cspan37421
05-16-2011, 01:48 PM
2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F

Yeah, just as cool as Maryland fans after losing to Duke (or winning, for that matter). I'll let you take the lead on striving for that ignominious honor.

hudlow
05-16-2011, 02:23 PM
It's about time he got married. How many kids does he have anyway?

sagegrouse
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
With apologies to the Crystals:

El Deano's chorus:

Goin' to the Chapel and I’m gonna be married.
Goin' to the Chapel and I’m gonna get harried.
Gee, I sorta like Duke and I’m really so worried.
Goin' to the Chapel at Duke.

sagegrouse
'I thought it was the Shirelles, actually'

roywhite
05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
With apologies to the Crystals:

El Deano's chorus:

sagegrouse
'I thought it was the Shirelles, actually'

Various groups, but it was the Dixie Cups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuuSVfFJRM) with the big hit.

BD80
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Various groups, but it was the Dixie Cups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuuSVfFJRM) with the big hit.

And I thought "Dixie Chicks" was chauvinistic!

sagegrouse
05-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Actually, it is all coming back to me, but here is the link (http://artists.letssingit.com/crystals-lyrics-going-to-the-chapel-dgckcjv)mentioning the Crystals.

Actually, way back in 1964 when it became a hit, I thought that the "Dixie Cups" was a male chauvinist pig name -- that was before MCP was even invented.

sagegrouse
'And I even played LL for a team called "Dixie Cleaners"'

roywhite
05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Actually, it is all coming back to me, but here is the link (http://artists.letssingit.com/crystals-lyrics-going-to-the-chapel-dgckcjv)mentioning the Crystals.

Actually, way back in 1964 when it became a hit, I thought that the "Dixie Cups" was a male chauvinist pig name -- that was before MCP was even invented.

sagegrouse
'And I even played LL for a team called "Dixie Cleaners"'

Speaking of some old memories, the Shirelles appeared at "Float Building" for Joe College Weekend, held in one of the tobacco warehouses. This would have been 1969 or 1970. Float Building by that time had become almost entirely about the drinking (umpteen kegs there) and not very much about working on floats. The Joe College weekend died out shortly thereafter, if I recall.

devildeac
05-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Speaking of some old memories, the Shirelles appeared at "Float Building" for Joe College Weekend, held in one of the tobacco warehouses. This would have been 1969 or 1970. Float Building by that time had become almost entirely about the drinking (umpteen kegs there) and not very much about working on floats. The Joe College weekend died out shortly thereafter, if I recall.

I still recall Joe College weekends at Duke from 1972-1976. Sort of.:o

77devil
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I still recall Joe College weekends at Duke from 1972-1976. Sort of.:o

Your memory is a bit dicey on this one Devildeac. The last Joe College weekend, for all intent and purposes, was April 1973.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Your memory is a bit dicey on this one Devildeac. The last Joe College weekend, for all intent and purposes, was April 1973.

Well, maybe YOU stopped in '73. For some, the train kept right on a'rolling . . . .

;>)

rocketeli
05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
There were a couple of attempts to hold events under the Joe College rubric in the mid/late 70s, but they never really got off the ground. The late 60s/early 70s counterculture vibe sort of had killed it off.

sagegrouse
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM

The only reprise I had for Joe College weekend was Bo Diddley. He and his group performed in the open end of the stadium in '63 or '64. Man, was it hot -- no shade at all.

Anyway, about 5-6 years ago he showed up in a club in Steamboat doing a solo gig with a big old square box guitar of his own invention. He pretended to remember playing at Duke, but who knows? He died in 2008. He always felt that everyone in the rock and roll world robbed him blind, stealing his characteristic beat, basically, "bomp ba-bomp bomp, bomp bomp," or" shave and a haircut, two bits." Count Buddy Holly (Not Fade Away) and "Willie and the Hand Jive" among the imitators.

sagegrouse

killerleft
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Back to the thread topic:) Has it been established that Dean got married in Duke Chapel? I think the bus accident incident happened when Dean was attending someone else's wedding. Maybe that is causing someone to misremember?

Reilly
05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I do not believe it has been established that Dean got married in the Chapel.

As I recall the bus accident, Dean had brought his parents to the Sunday morning Chapel service one spring day.

Per wikipedia, Dean's second marriage was May 21, 1976. The first was before he arrived in NC, I believe.

For $24, one might be able to get an uncertified copy of the second marriage certificate, and see if it took place in Durham. See:

http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/vitalrecords/documents/othercert.pdf

I would think the Chapel itself would have some sort of log of every marriage that has taken place there.

I'm very skeptical that Dean got married in the Chapel. Just seems like something that would have been known/talked about before.

Then again, nobody has ever determined the actual mileage from Durham to Chapel Hill, either (8? 10? 11?), so maybe some things in this world are just not knowable.

Indoor66
05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Then again, nobody has ever determined the actual mileage from Durham to Chapel Hill, either (8? 10? 11?), so maybe some things in this world are just not knowable.

I checked Google Maps. From the Chapel (401 Chapel Drive, Durham, NC) to The Old Well on the campus at the Dump on the Hump (250 East Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC) Google says it is 10.8 driving miles.

Using "How Far Is It Between", the highway distance is 10.805 miles and, as the crow flies, it is 8.668 miles.

Thus, as usual, the question boils down to which mileage are you talking about and what are your starting and finishing points?

Reilly
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Using www.gmap-pedometer.com (auto for cyclists), I get 11.2176 miles from Cameron to the Dean Dome.

uh_no
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Well, technically Durham borders Chapel Hill....so for some definitions, the distance could be 0.

Ggallagher
05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I have access to on line records that indicate Dean Edward Smith married Linnea L. Weblemoe on May 21, 1976 in Ventura Co., California.
I didn't find the record for his first marriage.