PDA

View Full Version : Blue Devils set to go camping in effort to improve

watzone
05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/05/blue-devils-go-camping-in-effort-to-improve/

Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins, Mason and Miles Plumlee and Austin Rivers are all set to attend summer camps. Also, talk of the China trip and the practices the team will use to find their chemistry.

DukieinSoCal
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
This is great news as the brothers Plumlee really need to work on their post play to maximize their athleticism and basketball potential. I didn't really think playing in the local summer league last year did much for Mason.

And having Seth and Andre work on their ball-handling and overall guard skills is perfect as well.

If all these guys can come back just a little bit better, we'll be a tough team to play against. Maybe even give UNC a fight for the ACC crown.

Class of '94
05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
This is great news as the brothers Plumlee really need to work on their post play to maximize their athleticism and basketball potential. I didn't really think playing in the local summer league last year did much for Mason.

And having Seth and Andre work on their ball-handling and overall guard skills is perfect as well.

If all these guys can come back just a little bit better, we'll be a tough team to play against. Maybe even give UNC a fight for the ACC crown.

Despite whatever happens this summer, Duke will always give UNC a fight for the ACC crown. But point taken about how good we could be if they all come back from the summer better.

dyedwab
05-12-2011, 05:30 PM
where Andre and Seth are going....isn't that were Nolan went either last summer or the summer before?

Greg_Newton
05-12-2011, 06:17 PM
where Andre and Seth are going....isn't that were Nolan went either last summer or the summer before?

Exciting stuff, Mark, thanks for posting.

I believe both Nolan AND Seth were at Paul's camp last summer, if I'm not mistaken. Pretty interesting - and encouraging - that Dre is also attending though. He's obviously not a PG, but if the experience can help him bring his handle and court awareness to anywhere near that of a PG, he'll be immensely improved.

I also think it's cool that Mason is going to Amare's camp. I've long believed that Amare's offensive game was the best model for Mason's skill set - if he only had a jump shot - so it's great to hear he'll be learning from the man himself.

Newton_14
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM

The Summer League is not where the guys work on their games. They work on their games both on campus and in the various camps they attend. They use the Summer League as a place to "practice" what they have been working on, and mainly get out there and have fun. It is a great league and it is fun to go out there and watch our guys on various teams, and see what new thing they have added to their repertoire.

Defense is lax to non-existent at times, which is fine. The guys put in the real work at other places. It is a step above pick-up so it serves as an avenue to compete during the dog days of summer.

That said, there is no harm to Mason or any of the other guys who play in the league. The biggest benefit imo, is the exposure to the local community the Duke guys get, and the camaraderie they build with the good folks at Central.

The camps the guys are attending are great, but the China/Dubai trip is huge. Especially for this team being how young it is, and with losing the top 3 players from last year. 10 full, regular practices prior to the trip, then unlimited practices to go along with the games during the trip will greatly help this team. Just what the doctor ordered.

Come October, the guys will be far ahead of where they would have been without the trip. Should greatly help the Freshman as well.

I can't wait for late July and August. We should get to see them at Central for at least a couple of games before they fly out to Dubai.

hurleyfor3
05-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Darn, I thought the title meant they would be setting up a basketball court in Tuolumne Meadows or somewhere like that.

gumbomoop
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
The camps the guys are attending are great, but the China/Dubai trip is huge. Especially for this team being how young it is, and with losing the top 3 players from last year. 10 full, regular practices prior to the trip, then unlimited practices to go along with the games during the trip will greatly help this team. Just what the doctor ordered.

Come October, the guys will be far ahead of where they would have been without the trip. Should greatly help the Freshman as well.

Amen. The bolded points cannot be sufficiently bolded. Well, I could change the font, but you get Newton_14's point.

Just in case not, however, HUGE.

Saratoga2
05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Now that the team roster has been settled for next year it will be important for these players to find a way to make up for the offense lost when Nolan, Kyle and Kyrie departed. There is also a substantial dropoff in defense, ball handling and rebounding to make up for.

One would hope that Austin will be able to replace the scoring we got from Kyrie, but we need a lot more from the Plumlees and Andre to make up for the loss of points from Kyle and Nolan. The extent a year of PT plus camp can result in improvement for thse players remains to be seen. We will also have some improvemnt from Tyler with a wild card from Quinn at the point. I haven't heard of Ryan's plans, but he has the potential to take his scoring up and the other wild cards will be Michael and Alex.

While this team has talent, there is a lot of growth needed to make them competitive at the highest level. It will be interesting to see the development throughout the year. Like a lot of others, I would like the recruiting for 2012 to concentrate on getting a large physical and gifted inside player. We really haven't had one since Shelden and that kind of presence on the team could give us an edge, since not many FIV I teams have that kind of a player.