PDA

View Full Version : Wojo, Collins up for A&M opening

Mike Corey
05-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Per Jay Williams.

roywhite
05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Per Jay Williams.

I'm not a big fan of the Aggie culture myself, but that's a pretty good coaching opportunity.

Looking ahead for Duke's program, I'd say both Wojo and Chris Collins are viable candidates to succeed Coach K. Head coaching experience will be a must IMO, so I hope each gets an opportunity in the near future.

Check it out, guys, and good luck.

mcdukie
05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Whoever gets that job will have some players. They have been to the tournament the last 3 or 4 years in a row and Turgeon said one of the reasons it was hard to leave was because this would be his best team.

CameronBornAndBred
05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
So if one does get it, do Nate and C-Well get their old jobs back? Would C-Well be better off staying with the women either way? (I would like to see him stay with them by the way, I think they are going to do very well next year.)

Best of luck to both...if it doesn't happen now, it's only a matter of time.

flyingdutchdevil
05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Wojo has been on the Duke bench since '99 and Collins since '00. They are both quality assistance coaches and have brought in terrific recruits. It would be a lose if we lost either. That said, and as many posters have already brought up, they will need head coaching experience. They have been mentioned for countless positions and, I assume, they have passed on these countless opportunities.

If I am ask, what are they waiting for? Neither will be considered for uber high-level coaching jobs (the Kansases, Kentuckies, Dukes, etc. of the college-sphere) and probably not even for the "2nd" tier programs as assistant coaches. Hell, for a lot of strong, but not consistent programs, they may not even be considered. It's been 10-11 years on the bench for the two of them.

Do they a) not feel ready to be a head coach yet, b) not feel the right opportunity has not come, or c) not want to leave Duke? Complete speculation - I assume it's a combination of all three. However, they aren't getting younger and, in today's coaching landscape, being young is such an advantage (at the same time, it can also be unfortunate, such as Capel). They, and Coach K, and probably everyone involved with Duke basketball, knows the situation much better than me, but I'm a little surprised that their both still around.

As much as I like them on the bench, I would love to see them take on head coaching jobs elsewhere.

BD80
05-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I think Chris would be a better fit for the Tech job. I see him as the more laid-back (relatively speaking) of the 2 and the more flexible. I think he would do better with someone else's talented recruits.

I see Wojo as more intense and more likely to rub someone else's highly rated recruits the wrong way, and more likely to overachieve with lesser ranked recruits.

roywhite
05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I think Chris would be a better fit for the Tech job. I see him as the more laid-back (relatively speaking) of the 2 and the more flexible. I think he would do better with someone else's talented recruits.

I see Wojo as more intense and more likely to rub someone else's highly rated recruits the wrong way, and more likely to overachieve with lesser ranked recruits.

Did you mean Texas A&M job, or is there another slot you're thinking of?

Intense would seem to fit TxA&M pretty well.

We'll see; honestly, I'd like to see one of them get the job; consider it an audition for a return to Durham, but what the heck.

Billy Dat
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I think some additional explanations for their long tenure as assistants include:

-K expanding the roles and responsbilities of his Associate Head Coaches fairly significantly over the years. I think they do a lot more than typical assistant coaches because K has so much going on all the time, especially..

-Team USA. You can't discount what a powerful lure and resume builder that was for Collins and Wojo. That's been running in one form or another annually for 5 years.

JasonEvans
05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Worth noting-- Wojo and Collins are supposedly among the best-paid assistant coaches in all of college basketball. I found this article (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/17/terps-not-shelling-out/print/) that talks about what some other ACC assistants make (Duke, as a private school, does not have to reveal asst coach salaries). It speaks of lots of salaries in the $200k range and even mentions one Virginia assistant coach who makes more than $300k. That suggests to me that Wojo and Collins probably make more than $300,000 per year... perhaps more than $400,000.

That is a lot of money. They both live extremely comfortable lives in Durham. I imagine it would take a lot to pry them away from Duke. By "a lot" I am not just talking about money, I am talking about the situation -- likelihood of success, quality of life in the new location, support from the new administration, and so on. They like where they are.

I just bring this up to explain why these guys have not seemed eager to move on to new opportunities.

--Jason "I imagine that when either of them leave Duke, it will be for a job opening that seems really good-- A&M might be it" Evans

Mike Corey
05-13-2011, 10:53 AM
All indications at this point are that neither Wojo nor Collins are a threat to leave for the A&M job.

roywhite
05-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Worth noting-- Wojo and Collins are supposedly among the best-paid assistant coaches in all of college basketball. I found this article (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/17/terps-not-shelling-out/print/) that talks about what some other ACC assistants make (Duke, as a private school, does not have to reveal asst coach salaries). It speaks of lots of salaries in the $200k range and even mentions one Virginia assistant coach who makes more than $300k. That suggests to me that Wojo and Collins probably make more than $300,000 per year... perhaps more than $400,000.

That is a lot of money. They both live extremely comfortable lives in Durham. I imagine it would take a lot to pry them away from Duke. By "a lot" I am not just talking about money, I am talking about the situation -- likelihood of success, quality of life in the new location, support from the new administration, and so on. They like where they are.

I just bring this up to explain why these guys have not seemed eager to move on to new opportunities. --Jason "I imagine that when either of them leave Duke, it will be for a job opening that seems really good-- A&M might be it" Evans

All understandable.

However, it's really not what I want to see for the next head coach at Duke. I hope to see someone who really wants to run their own program, even if it's a challenging situation. I guess that Wojo and Chris Collins would each like the Duke job after K, but I'm beginning to question whether they're doing the right things to prepare for that. I want to see someone who a record of accomplishment as a head coach. Just my opinion; I certainly recognize their contributions to Duke basketball.

JasonEvans
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
This article (http://houston.sbnation.com/texas-a-m-aggies/2011/5/13/2168992/texas-am-coach-search-turgeon-van-gundy) mentions a lot of names, none of which are Wojo or Collins.

-Jason "looks like A&M wants someone with head coaching experience" Evans

DevilWearsPrada
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
All understandable.

However, it's really not what I want to see for the next head coach at Duke. I hope to see someone who really wants to run their own program, even if it's a challenging situation. I guess that Wojo and Chris Collins would each like the Duke job after K, but I'm beginning to question whether they're doing the right things to prepare for that. I want to see someone who a record of accomplishment as a head coach. Just my opinion; I certainly recognize their contributions to Duke basketball.

I agree with you! That is why I admire Butler's Brad Stevens so much. He left a great job and career at Eli Lilly to get into coaching, and even to volunteer. And moved up, and has proven himself, with far less talent than the Elite Universities. Also, most of his players have stayed 4 years. And staying 4 years means alot. Nolan Smith! His first 2 years vs his last 2 years, which proves a young player can elevate their skill set and game.

Wojo and Collins are probably the 2 highest paid asst coaches (associate head coaches) among all college programs. They have had wonderful opportunites at Duke and abroad with Team USA and the Olympics. Both conduct the Live Radio Show on a weekly basis during Basketball Season and have responsibilites that other Asst coaches dont. I am sure that is a very comfortable position and lifestyle. After all, Duke is Duke!

Coach K isn't a young man.(he looks great!) I would guess at the most he has another 5 or 6 seasons left, but I really think he will retire the season after the 2012 Olympics. And Wojo and Collins both know his retirement, will be in the near future. Shouldnt they both consider to spread their wings and fly from the nest and survive on their own without Coach K? I would think that both men would want their own programs to run! (Like Dawkins, Amaker, etc).

UrinalCake
05-13-2011, 12:52 PM
My wife is an A&M alum... it's a pretty hard place to coach. Football reigns supreme, even though by objective measures you could say the basketball team has been more successful as of late. You've got Texas and Kansas to compete against in conference, so recruiting is a hard sell. Mostly they get in-state players who weren't good enough to go to Texas.

The fanbase never really liked Gillespie, they thought of him as an outsider who didn't embrace their culture. It's an agricultural school with a strong military presence and plenty of long standing (and some would say meaningless) traditions. They've been burned twice now with coaches using them as a stepping stone for better jobs, so they're probably looking for someone who will be around for the long haul. Honestly I don't know if either Wojo or Collins would fit in very well.

Doug Collins did say a couple months ago that Chris was holding out for a head coaching position at a successful school that happened to be in transition, rather than a position where he'd need to rebuild. I guess A&M fits this description, but I would think that better opportunities will be there if he continues to wait.

duke09hms
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Wojo and Collins have done a great job - Duke's record speaks for itself.

I think there is something to be said for bringing in new blood new ideas and avoiding the groupthink phenomenon. K is a master of leadership no doubt but isn't perfect.

Bringing in James, Carrawell, and now Capel is great but would definitely like to see Wojo and Collins move on. Being a head coach where you have complete responsibility is something impossible to simulate. Look at Dawkins' struggles at Stanford and Capel's time at Oklahoma. Both will become better leaders because of them.

Everyone thought Johnny D to be a sure-fire hire, but now he's entering the hot-seat year with his job possibly on the line. I think he'll pull through and be fine, but these experiences and growing pains are invaluable and only obtainable as a head coach.

I'm predicting one or both will leave after the 2012 Olympics since they're both on the USA coaching staff.

kexman
05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
On some level I would like to see our assistants go to a small school and learn how to be a head coach and than take a BCS level job after they have gained some experience. Tough to learn on the big stage. If I was a college I would go with a coach who has been successful at a smaller school than some assistant from a big name program. The one flaw with my argument is that being successful at Eastern Michigan might be a totally different skill set than say Michigan for example (ie. media, type of recruits you can get, managing alumni, etc.).

edit: Didn't mean that to come across that you can't learn as an assistant. Just that it must be totally different when you are the head of the program. You obviously will make some mistakes as you learn and I think that might be easier on a smaller stage at first. The patience at a BCS school is pretty short

The Gordog
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Wojo has been on the Duke bench since '99 and Collins since '00. They are both quality assistance coaches and have brought in terrific recruits. It would be a lose if we lost either. That said, and as many posters have already brought up, they will need head coaching experience. They have been mentioned for countless positions and, I assume, they have passed on these countless opportunities.

If I am ask, what are they waiting for? Neither will be considered for uber high-level coaching jobs (the Kansases, Kentuckies, Dukes, etc. of the college-sphere) and probably not even for the "2nd" tier programs as assistant coaches. Hell, for a lot of strong, but not consistent programs, they may not even be considered. It's been 10-11 years on the bench for the two of them.

Do they a) not feel ready to be a head coach yet, b) not feel the right opportunity has not come, or c) not want to leave Duke? Complete speculation - I assume it's a combination of all three. However, they aren't getting younger and, in today's coaching landscape, being young is such an advantage (at the same time, it can also be unfortunate, such as Capel). They, and Coach K, and probably everyone involved with Duke basketball, knows the situation much better than me, but I'm a little surprised that their both still around.

As much as I like them on the bench, I would love to see them take on head coaching jobs elsewhere.

a) no.
b) no.
c) no.

d) They both have young children and will not leave until their kids are teenagers. Like Dawkins they guard their family time jealously and know that being a new head coach at any school would mean even less family time than they currently enjoy. Also, The Collins and Wojo families and K's kid's families are all close and support each other. Whoever leaves first will disrupt that dynamic.

sagegrouse
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
a) no.
b) no.
c) no.

d) They both have young children and will not leave until their kids are teenagers. Like Dawkins they guard their family time jealously and know that being a new head coach at any school would mean even less family time than they currently enjoy. Also, The Collins and Wojo families and K's kid's families are all close and support each other. Whoever leaves first will disrupt that dynamic.

Family is important, but I don't buy what you are saying. Travel will be the same everywhere, and coaches are gonna change positions. It's actually easier when the children are younger, in case you haven't had the pleasure of discussing a potential move with a teenage daughter. But never mind that: If you want to be at the top of your profession, you need to make sensible career choices. Basketball coaches move around and so do college professors, business executives, presidential appointees, and diplomats. It is part of life in the fast lane. Moreover, they are both 35 or over, which is prime time in most professions. Staying on the Duke bench for 20 years is a bad idea.

The question is, "What is the best opportunity likely to be available to a Duke assistant?" I wish I had a data base of coaching appointees for the past ten years. What are the recent occasions where an assistant coach got a HC job at a different BCS school? Are there any recent examples? I don't think Quin and Tommy reduced opportunities for Duke assistants; I just think the conventional wisdom changed in favor of promoting head coaches from mid-majors and below.

I believe Chris and Wojo are prepared to move for the right opportunity.

sagegrouse

307Brown
05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
The question is, "What is the best opportunity likely to be available to a Duke assistant?" I wish I had a data base of coaching appointees for the past ten years. What are the recent occasions where an assistant coach got a HC job at a different BCS school? Are there any recent examples?
sagegrouse

sagegrouse,

This link doesn't answer all of your questions, but it gets you started.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=688

Reilly
05-13-2011, 08:59 PM
.... in case you haven't had the pleasure of discussing a potential move with a teenage daughter. ....

David Cutcliffe's school-age daughter, after hearing Cut (then a long-time Tenn assistant) might take the offensive coordinator position at Alabama: "We're going to miss having you at home."

-bdbd
05-13-2011, 09:42 PM

I just bring this up to explain why these guys have not seemed eager to move on to new opportunities.

--Jason "I imagine that when either of them leave Duke, it will be for a job opening that seems really good-- A&M might be it" Evans

I agree Jason, that's a lot of dough in a place like Durham. Much to be said for the quality of life aspects where they are. I had read something last year that estimated their income, including incentives, clinics, endorsements, speaking, etc could be as high as $500K. That is more than many HC's get, and with much better job security...

All understandable.

However, it's really not what I want to see for the next head coach at Duke. I hope to see someone who really wants to run their own program, even if it's a challenging situation. I guess that Wojo and Chris Collins would each like the Duke job after K, but I'm beginning to question whether they're doing the right things to prepare for that. I want to see someone who a record of accomplishment as a head coach. Just my opinion; I certainly recognize their contributions to Duke basketball.I strongly agree with Roy here, I've thought about this quite a bit over the last couple of years, and while I too am very grateful for their wonderful contributions to Duke's great success as players and then as coaches, I think that it is in Duke's long-term interests that they move up to good HC opportunities. I just find it hard to foresee Duke hiring a replacement for K - hopefully at least ten years hence - who lacks that very valuable HC experience. There is just no replacement for that sort of responsibility and maturing/seasoning character-building experience. I'd like them to be candidates, but I believe that they need HC experience to earn that opportunity. I DO think they will both be successful, but if, God forbid, the Duke HC opportunity came open tomorrow, I'd take JD, Amaker, Brey or Capel in a heartbeat over anyone who lacks HC experience. Aside, it also would create more opportunities for younger assistants and to further develop the K coaching tree, which is good for Duke too - or was I the only one annoyed that a protege of Ole Huck was just hired at MD?

I agree with you! That is why I admire Butler's Brad Stevens so much. He left a great job and career at Eli Lilly to get into coaching, and even to volunteer. And moved up, and has proven himself, with far less talent than the Elite Universities. Also, most of his players have stayed 4 years. And staying 4 years means alot. Nolan Smith! His first 2 years vs his last 2 years, which proves a young player can elevate their skill set and game.

Wojo and Collins are probably the 2 highest paid asst coaches (associate head coaches) among all college programs. They have had wonderful opportunites at Duke and abroad with Team USA and the Olympics. Both conduct the Live Radio Show on a weekly basis during Basketball Season and have responsibilites that other Asst coaches dont. I am sure that is a very comfortable position and lifestyle. After all, Duke is Duke!

Coach K isn't a young man.(he looks great!) I would guess at the most he has another 5 or 6 seasons left, but I really think he will retire the season after the 2012 Olympics. And Wojo and Collins both know his retirement, will be in the near future. Shouldnt they both consider to spread their wings and fly from the nest and survive on their own without Coach K? I would think that both men would want their own programs to run! (Like Dawkins, Amaker, etc).

Anybody think that the number 1,000 holds any allure for K? I suspect that he is more motivated by whether he is enjoying himself, or feeling like he is accomplishing something. So, while he might leave the national team after 2012, I don't see that as a magical "retirement" threshold for him. Heck, getting 1,000 wins, which could be done by the end of the 2014 season, though may take into 2015, sounds like a nice round number to me. (Aside, I could see having a snake like Calhoun still around and nipping at his heels could even motivate an extra year or two...) Let's hope that we're still having this disucussion after the 2016 Olympics!!! ;) :D

P.S. As for "what are they waiting for," I think they want a major program with a tradition of winning and good support and success prospects such as: MD (?!!), FL, St Johns, Louisville, Syracuse, Northwestern (?), MSU, IL, Seton Hall, Pitt. IOW, maybe not TOP tier - like KY, Duke, KA, OSU, TX, UCON, NC@CH, UCLA - but maybe the next group below that. Anybody disagree?

JasonEvans
05-14-2011, 08:01 AM
As for "what are they waiting for," I think they want a major program with a tradition of winning and good support and success prospects such as: MD (?!!), FL, St Johns, Louisville, Syracuse, Northwestern (?), MSU, IL, Seton Hall, Pitt. IOW, maybe not TOP tier - like KY, Duke, KA, OSU, TX, UCON, NC@CH, UCLA - but maybe the next group below that. Anybody disagree?

If that is what they are waiting for, it will be a very long wait. It would take a lot for one of those programs or any program from a BCS conference "with a tradition of winning and good support and success prospects" to take a assistant coach to be their head guy... especially an assistant that comes from another program.

I mean, you sometimes see something like a Memphis taking Josh Pastner, but he had been there as an assistant. I think Wojo and Collins should set their sights a bit lower if they are in fact waiting for a BCS level job at a program that has been successful in the recent past.

Frankly, I am really surprised that Wojo was not more interested in the Dayton job. I think that would be a been a really nice mid-major that could have launched him to a BCS-level program in a couple years.

-Jason "it would be nice for K's tree to grow some new branches... and for some of the existing branches to get stronger" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne's list of basketball coaching candidates appears to be down to two — Murray State's Billy Kennedy and Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson — after former Rockets coach and current ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy apparently said no thanks on Friday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/A-M-s-coaching-wish-list-shortens-1379388.php

Memphis Devil
05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
If that is what they are waiting for, it will be a very long wait. It would take a lot for one of those programs or any program from a BCS conference "with a tradition of winning and good support and success prospects" to take a assistant coach to be their head guy... especially an assistant that comes from another program.

I mean, you sometimes see something like a Memphis taking Josh Pastner, but he had been there as an assistant. I think Wojo and Collins should set their sights a bit lower if they are in fact waiting for a BCS level job at a program that has been successful in the recent past.

Frankly, I am really surprised that Wojo was not more interested in the Dayton job. I think that would be a been a really nice mid-major that could have launched him to a BCS-level program in a couple years.

-Jason "it would be nice for K's tree to grow some new branches... and for some of the existing branches to get stronger" Evans

Also, don't forget that Josh Pastner was literally a last minute hire. Memphis had whiffed on a number of current HC's from other programs before settling on Pastner. Josh was actually packing up his office for the big move to Lexington when he received the phone call from R.C. Johnson about potentially becoming the head coach at Memphis. Any school with a reasonable history of success (short-term or long-term) wants to hire someone with a track record of success as a head coach. Plus, from a perception stand point, any program worth its salt doesn't want to be seen as a stepping stone job.

-jk
05-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Billy Kennedy (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_8574/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=bHrwzK9S) of Murray St will be the new A&M coach.

-jk