PDA

View Full Version : Robert 'Tractor' Traylor 1977-2011

freshmanjs
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Always thought he was a fun player to watch. Sad news.

Robert Traylor Dead (http://www.freep.com/article/20110511/SPORTS06/110511035/Report-Robert-Traylor-dead-34?odyssey=nav|head)

monkey
05-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Always thought he was a fun player to watch. Sad news.

Robert Traylor Dead (http://www.freep.com/article/20110511/SPORTS06/110511035/Report-Robert-Traylor-dead-34?odyssey=nav|head)

Very sad. Too young. Much too young. I enjoyed watching him play. Rest in peace.

David
05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Agreed - condolences to his family. He was a fun player to watch.

DBR: small correction to your front-page post, Traylor died in Puerto Rico (not Spain).

ChicagoCrazy84
05-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Very sad news. I honestly thought he was older than 34, but either way, he was way too young. Its amazing he struggled so much with weight at such a young age while playing professional basketball. Prayers to his family.

nmduke2001
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
very sad news.

There are 3 things that I will always remember about Traylor:

1)Taymon Domzalski wearing Traylor's jersey in the McDonald's AA game because they made two Traylor jerseys and did not make a Domzalski jersey.

2)Traylor making a last second dunk in Cameron to beat Duke.

3)Traylor being traded for Pat Garrity AND Dirk Nowitzki. Could that be the most lopsided trade in sports history? Don Nelson belongs in the hall of fame just for that.

Biscuit King
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Memo to DBR: The guy had a known heart condition--he had surgery on his aortic valve--about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure it's fair to insinuate that he died because he was fat. Skinny people die from heart defects, too.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Memo to DBR: The guy had a known heart condition--he had surgery on his aortic valve--about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure it's fair to insinuate that he died because he was fat. Skinny people die from heart defects, too.

Im not insinuating that he died because he was fat, but that can't help if you have a heart condition. Heart conditions arise many times due to obesity, not the other way around.

devildeac
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Im not insinuating that he died because he was fat, but that can't help if you have a heart condition. Heart conditions arise many times due to obesity, not the other way around.

Not sure exactly what his condition/surgery was. If he had aortic valve surgery at age 29, it was most likely a congenital heart defect or the result of an infection on his aortic valve. If he had surgery on his aorta at age 29, still could be a congenital defect (like Marfan's Syndrome). If he had an aortic dissection (torn inner lining of his aorta), this could have been a result of his obesity and/or high blood pressure and Marfan's Syndrome, too. An aortic aneurysm expansion or rupture is uncommon at that age but could also be related to his obesity, hypertension and/or Marfan's Syndrome.

dyedwab
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Condolences to his family. Personally, as shocked as I am when someone dies young, it takes me aback even more when they are a high-level athlete.

...and whenever someone comments about the dangers of a 17-point Duke lead, I instantly remember Traylor's dunk that beat us in Cameron....

throatybeard
05-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Condolences to his family. Personally, as shocked as I am when someone dies young, it takes me aback even more when they are a high-level athlete.

...and whenever someone comments about the dangers of a 17-point Duke lead, I instantly remember Traylor's dunk that beat us in Cameron....

This illustrates the power of the 17-point meme in Duke lore, even as it flies in the face of facts, like bigger blown leads (Seton Hall 18, Virginia 23). The meltdown in that game was from 61-48.

Billy Dat
05-11-2011, 11:31 PM
This illustrates the power of the 17-point meme in Duke lore, even as it flies in the face of facts, like bigger blown leads (Seton Hall 18, Virginia 23). The meltdown in that game was from 61-48.

That game enraged me at the time as my hate for Michigan was an an apex. Rest easy, Tractor, not many players have had a moment at Cameron like that.

darjum
05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Really makes you stop and think, I was born in 1977 too. Such a tragedy that he has two kids that he won't get to see grow up.

Gorilla
05-12-2011, 08:23 AM
He gave Duke problems that one year. I was so sad when they won and I feel the same way now that he's gone. R.I.P.

roywhite
05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Interesting to look at the 1998 NBA Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NBA_Draft)

Not many, even in the basketball business, truly have a crystal ball when it comes to selecting players.

InSpades
05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Reportedly the story was that Don Nelson and the Mavericks wanted Nowitzki and were content to take him w/ the 6th pick. However the Bucks wanted Traylor at 6 so the Mavs agreed to trade down (risking that Dirk wasn't going to be taken 7th or 8th).

Pretty impressive foresight by Nelson there if you ask me. Not only did he get the best player in the draft, he traded down and got another player in the process.

UrinalCake
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Traylor making a last second dunk in Cameron to beat Duke.

I remember that, as well as the game up in Michigan where he and Brand went at it like a pair of wild bulls. It was awesome to watch them, even though Traylor always got the better end of the matchup.

nmduke2001
05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I remember that, as well as the game up in Michigan where he and Brand went at it like a pair of wild bulls. It was awesome to watch them, even though Traylor always got the better end of the matchup.

That is a lot of meat in the lane.

nmduke2001
05-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Reportedly the story was that Don Nelson and the Mavericks wanted Nowitzki and were content to take him w/ the 6th pick. However the Bucks wanted Traylor at 6 so the Mavs agreed to trade down (risking that Dirk wasn't going to be taken 7th or 8th).

Pretty impressive foresight by Nelson there if you ask me. Not only did he get the best player in the draft, he traded down and got another player in the process.

Pat Garrity came along as well. I'm pretty sure Nelson then traded him to Phoenix to bring Nash to Dallas. So the Mavs got Dirk and Nash for Traylor. Wow.