PDA

View Full Version : Duke Athletics starts a Duke Libraries fund

Mike Corey
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I love this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205149545).

Starting with the 2011-12 soccer seasons, the Duke University Department of Athletics will commit a portion of ticket sales from Blue Devil regular season home sporting events to the Duke University Libraries. The Duke Athletics Library Fund will generate significant unrestricted revenue for the Duke University Libraries to support teaching and research across the institution.

According to the arrangement, the Athletics Department will contribute $1.00 from each individual ticket sold to home regular season athletics events in 2011-12 to the Duke Athletics Library Fund. The first year of the initiative will not include football tickets since the sales process for 2011 began in January. Actual game tickets will include printed language indicating that $1.00 has been added and will be invested in this fund.

“The backbone of all great universities is a strong library system,” said Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White. “Under the able direction of Deborah Jakubs, Duke University Libraries serve the entire institution and provide an invaluable resource to our students, faculty and the Durham community. As the Department of Athletics developed plans to invest in the larger institutional mission, the library system became the clear and appropriate benefactor. Our excitement about this partnership cannot be overemphasized.”

uh_no
05-11-2011, 12:21 PM
That's awesome.

In the end, its sort of roundabout though. The university gives the athletics dept many millions of dollars a year (16 i believe). Now the athletics department is helping fund a university function?

Not to take away from the fact that I think this is a good thing, but effectively they're increasing ticket prices and decreasing the subsidy. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a move by the administration/AD to help placate professors who rail against the athletics subsidy.

4decadedukie
05-11-2011, 02:39 PM
This is great news, both financially and in terms of enhancing the already strong linkages between University athletics and academics (never a serious issue at Duke, but all cooperative efforts are important). FYI, the ticket sales donations will directly benefit only the "main" library system -- Perkins, Bostock, Lilly, etc. -- not the Medical, Divinity, Law and Business professional school libraries; this is NOT criticism, only information.