PDA

View Full Version : Implications for Paulus?

BlueTeuf
05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
linky (http://www.thenovablog.com/2011/5/9/2162454/billy-lange-villanova-associate-head-coach)

Lange is departing the Naval Academy as noted in the above link and elsewhere.

Reddevil
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
K, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Spatola, James, Carrawell, and Paulus - why not? The teacher to student ratio is the best in the nation. Just 5 more and it's one to one.

4decadedukie
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
This is most interesting; only this morning, I discussed Greg with an old friend (a retired VADM, who is a very influential member of Navy's Athletic Board). He suggested that: (a) Lange would likely be around through 2012, since the price of "buying out" his contact was prohibitive; however (b) everyone was very pleased with Greg's potential, notwithstanding his youth and comparative inexperience.

Now, I suspect "a" is moot, since Lange has voluntarily resigned to take the Nova job. With regard to "b," I hope the decision-makers and decision-influencers at the USNA recognize that their LONG-TERM interest is best served with an individual who has the leadership, the character, the tenacity, the brains and the self-discipline that Mr. Paulus has repeated demonstrated. It will take years for Navy hoops to reach its potential -- and the stringent requirements for student-athletes both as undergraduates and as commissioned officer make this even more difficult (especially, recruiting and retension) -- but I sincerely believe that Greg has the required attributes to succeed.

CameronBornAndBred
05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I hope GP3 gets to stay on the bench somewhere. I'm sure the new HC (it won't be Paulus) will want to bring in folks he feels he will work well with. If Paulus isn't his man, hopefully he is picked up on another staff. One day, he is going to be a fun guy at the helm to watch. (Pardon the naval term!)

MartyClark
05-10-2011, 08:23 PM
This is most interesting; only this morning, I discussed Greg with an old friend (a retired VADM, who is a very influential member of Navy's Athletic Board). He suggested that: (a) Lange would likely be around through 2012, since the price of "buying out" his contact was prohibitive; however (b) everyone was very pleased with Greg's potential, notwithstanding his youth and comparative inexperience.

Now, I suspect "a" is moot, since Lange has voluntarily resigned to take the Nova job. With regard to "b," I hope the decision-makers and decision-influencers at the USNA recognize that their LONG-TERM interest is best served with an individual who has the leadership, the character, the tenacity, the brains and the self-discipline that Mr. Paulus has repeated demonstrated. It will take years for Navy hoops to reach its potential -- and the stringent requirements for student-athletes both as undergraduates and as commissioned officer make this even more difficult (especially, recruiting and retension) -- but I sincerely believe that Greg has the required attributes to succeed.

I don't think Navy has any long term potential. It's unlikely they will ever get another David Robinson. I don't see how any of the service academies ever compete in the big time, college basketball world.

I agree that Paulus seems to have the attributes necessary to succeed. The service academies are a stepping stone to bigger jobs. I always admired the guy and wish him well.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think Navy has any long term potential. It's unlikely they will ever get another David Robinson. I don't see how any of the service academies ever compete in the big time, college basketball world.

I agree that Paulus seems to have the attributes necessary to succeed. The service academies are a stepping stone to bigger jobs. I always admired the guy and wish him well.
Maybe not, but Army has bred some pretty decent future big time coaches in the past, don't you think? :cool:

JasonEvans
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM

I am not saying it is easy, but it is certainly quite possible to be very successful at the military academies. And I am not just talking about finding a once-in-a-lifetime diamond in the rough like David Robinson.

Look at the recent success of Navy football. They have made it to a bowl game 8 years in a row, which ain't at all easy.

Look at what Air Force has done in basketball in recent years. They won the very competitive Mountain West in 2004, making the NCAA tourney. They made the NCAAs again in 2006. In 2007, they made the NIT final four.

Still, like I said, it is not easy to be successful at the service academies because of the academic and service requirement hurdles.

--Jason "I would be shocked if Paulus was even considered for the head coaching job-- he simply isn't experienced enough" Evans

Orange&BlackSheep
05-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I am not saying it is easy, but it is certainly quite possible to be very successful at the military academies. And I am not just talking about finding a once-in-a-lifetime diamond in the rough like David Robinson.

Look at the recent success of Navy football. They have made it to a bowl game 8 years in a row, which ain't at all easy.

Look at what Air Force has done in basketball in recent years. They won the very competitive Mountain West in 2004, making the NCAA tourney. They made the NCAAs again in 2006. In 2007, they made the NIT final four.

Still, like I said, it is not easy to be successful at the service academies because of the academic and service requirement hurdles.

--Jason "I would be shocked if Paulus was even considered for the head coaching job-- he simply isn't experienced enough" Evans

I think the difference between basketball and football here is the height limitation. Robinson as a recruit was z freak because of how much he grew after gaining admission. IIRC, you cannot be more than 6'6" to enroll in any of the service academies. That limitation does not affect football in the same way.

Jim3k
05-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree, indeed it's self-evident, that Paulus is not a likely candidate for the Navy head coaching slot. OTOH, it might be the sort of job that would be of interest to Collins or Wojo. Dunno if they are really interested, and since they are assistants without head coaching experience, maybe some ADs wouldn't consider them. Still, if I were one of them, I'd at least make a call or have Krzyzewski or White make an inquiry so my call would be accepted.

And if either is successful, I'd certainly think Paulus would be offered the opportunity to stay.

4decadedukie
05-10-2011, 11:16 PM

With respect, I strongly disagree.

Now, you are obviously correct if intercollegiate basketball success alone -- and at the highest level -- were a coach's overriding principal objevtive. I would hope, however, that some coaches care more about developing leaders for American, than stars for the NBA. There are many things in life that are more important than athletic achievements, even for top-tier coaches.

4decadedukie
05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I think the difference between basketball and football here is the height limitation. Robinson as a recruit was z freak because of how much he grew after gaining admission. IIRC, you cannot be more than 6'6" to enroll in any of the service academies. That limitation does not affect football in the same way.

Orange and Black - You are correct that the service acadamies have maximum height restrictions; however, David Robinson received a pre-admissions waiver -- he did not grow inordinately while metriculated -- that allowed him to become a Midshipman.

wilson
05-11-2011, 12:20 AM

Orange and Black - You are correct that the service acadamies have maximum height restrictions; however, David Robinson received a pre-admissions waiver -- he did not grow inordinately while metriculated -- that allowed him to become a Midshipman.There's also Ali Villanueva (http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1149412), Army's 6'10" D-lineman-turned-wide receiver, whom some folks might remember from our game in West Point a couple of years ago. So really tall dudes at service academies aren't a totally extinct breed.

NovaScotian
05-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Orange and Black - You are correct that the service acadamies have maximum height restrictions; however, David Robinson received a pre-admissions waiver -- he did not grow inordinately while metriculated -- that allowed him to become a Midshipman.

here is a quote from sports illustrated in 1985

There has never been a Navy basketball player like David Robinson, midshipman third class, 14th company, third battalion, first regiment. At 6'11", he's the tallest ship at Annapolis. The height limit for midshipmen entering the U.S. Naval Academy is 6'6", but 5% of an incoming class can be as tall as 6'8". Robinson entered the Academy in the summer of 1983 at that height and sprouted three more inches in a year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119090/index.htm

MartyClark
05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
With respect, I strongly disagree.

Now, you are obviously correct if intercollegiate basketball success alone -- and at the highest level -- were a coach's overriding principal objevtive. I would hope, however, that some coaches care more about developing leaders for American, than stars for the NBA. There are many things in life that are more important than athletic achievements, even for top-tier coaches.

I agree with your view on the bigger picture.

4decadedukie
05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
here is a quote from sports illustrated in 1985

Thank you; I found the SI quotation very interesting, because at that time he entered the Academy, I was a Commander on the Navy staff in Washington. Robinson's father had retired from the Navy and David was an outstanding student in Woodbridge, Virginia (>1300 SATs), as well as a stellar athlete. There was much discussion regarding his USNA appointment, since the SecNav had personally directed a height-restriction waiver (or so went the scuttlebutt among the Pentagon, Arlington Annex and Crystal City senior officers).

David is a wonderful individual who, in my opinion, personifies the very best in the words student-athlete, professional and -- most important -- citizen. His post-NBA civic engagement (especially to the San Antonio area) is amazing.

BD80
05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Thank you; I found the SI quotation very interesting, because at that time he entered the Academy, I was a Commander on the Navy staff in Washington. Robinson's father had retired from the Navy and David was an outstanding student in Woodbridge, Virginia (>1300 SATs), as well as a stellar athlete. There was much discussion regarding his USNA appointment, since the SecNav had personally directed a height-restriction waiver (or so went the scuttlebutt among the Pentagon, Arlington Annex and Crystal City senior officers). ...

So you are saying that the Navy released mis-information (Robinson's height when accepted) about one of its most effective weapons?

I'm OK with that.

Kfanarmy
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
This is partially true...as I recollect he received a waiver to enter, but grew 5 inches while at the academy--which I would argue is a few deviations from the standard. When he was selected by the USNA he was an inch short of the waivered cut off of 6-8. There was some controversy there as many people felt USNA was selling out its mission to develop Naval officers in order to have a good basketball team. The Academy and most knowledgable folks knew he was going to exceed the 6'8" height limit within a year...and would not likely be able to serve aboard ship.

formerdukeathlete
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Greg will stand on his own two feet whether at Navy or elsewhere, as he did in giving it his best shot at Syracuse at QB.

If without a job, a CFL tryout?