PDA

View Full Version : Post-draft decision rankings for 2011-12

DukieinSoCal
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Now that we pretty much know what teams will look like next year(except for a few late high school recruits who are still deciding), who should be the favorites for next year's Final Four? Are UNC and Kentucky pretty much neck and neck as the favorites to win it all?

I would probably put UNC and Kentucky as 1A and 1B. I have Ohio St. at 3. Then there's a few teams in the next tier that all have a ton of potential but also some question marks, including Duke, Syracuse, Pitt. Texas really took a big hit, losing Joseph, Hamilton, and Thompson. I actually like our chances to make a strong run at a 1 seed and the Final Four. I'm also glad that UNC won't be the clear favorite to win it all. Should make for an exciting season.

Wander
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
You've got the right top three, I think, in UNC, Kentucky, and Ohio State.

After that, I think it's a bit of a mess. I'd say teams like Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Baylor, Memphis, Louisville, Michigan, Duke, Gonzaga, and a bunch more will be fighting behind the top three.

Duke79UNLV77
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm also glad that UNC won't be the clear favorite to win it all. Should make for an exciting season.

To me UNC is the clear favorite to win it all, which is not to say that they will. I know that Kentucky brings in a lot, but they are losing 3 starters. Ohio State loses Lighty, Diebler, and Lauderdale. We lose Nolan, Singler, and Kyrie, although we beat UNC 2 out of 3 without Kyrie. I imagine some other team will end up a lot better than expected, but UNC won 17 of their last 20, loses next to nothing, and brings in some great new talent.

mcdukie
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree that UNC is the clear favorite. Kentucky is probably the next most talented team but they will have to mesh before I say they are on the level of UNC.

DukieinSoCal
05-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Here's a link to the Andy Katz's new pre-season rankings. Not much to argue with, IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=6513197

OZZIE4DUKE
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Alex, I'll take Duke in the Final Four for 2000 please. :cool:

4decadedukie
05-09-2011, 07:33 PM

. . . joining in our Devils, Ohio State (UK and UNC may find a way, as the not infrequently do, to defeat themselves).

snowdenscold
05-09-2011, 07:47 PM

How about for 2012 instead? :p

gumbomoop
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I think Katz has what is likely to be the consensus top 4 in the right order: UNC, UK, OSU, 'Cuse. After that, less consensus, though I'll guess Duke will be 5-6. Some prognosticator might push Vandy up to 4-5, with all their experience.

I don't see UConn as top 6-7, but maybe Kemba's mates will play solidly without his miracles. I'd put 'Cuse, UL, and Pitt [possibly even Marquette] ahead of UConn in the BE.

I'd push Florida into top 10. They'll be an interesting team, as 5 or their top 7 players are guards; I'm guessing they'll be forced to play a 4-guard lineup fairly frequently [unless they've got a post transfer coming in that I'm unaware of]. They seem to have only 2 bigs: Young and Murphy. At times either Beal or Mike Rosario will have to play the 4 in man-D. Great perimeter, but I don't see Young and Murphy being able to play 32+ mpg each. No way. not be pre-top-10......]

I'd push Baylor up [from Katz's #16] if Quincy Miller is healthy and real deal.

lotusland
05-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Here's a link to the Andy Katz's new pre-season rankings. Not much to argue with, IMO.

Quinn Cook will also step in and play major minutes; so, too, will small forward Michael Gbinije and likely Marshall Plumlee, who will be joining his brothers, Mason and Miles. Much like Kentucky, Duke will rely heavily on freshmen.

Katz sees MP3, QC and MG getting major minutes and Duke relying on Frosh "much like Kentucky" I think it's probably an overstatement particularly regarding MP3's minutes.

I also think UNC should be a couple of notches above UK based on experience.

devildeac
05-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Don't you mean for 2012?;)

OZZIE4DUKE
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Don't you mean for 2012?;)
Well someone above already said that but I left the $ sign off the $2000 since I didn't want to give the impression I wanted to bet $2000, but obviously I was making the Jeopardy reference. But yes, I meant the 2012 Final Four! And 2013. And 2014...

devildeac
05-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Well someone above already said that but I left the $ sign off the $2000 since I didn't want to give the impression I wanted to bet $2000, but obviously I was making the Jeopardy reference. But yes, I meant the 2012 Final Four! And 2013. And 2014...

Aww, I knew what you meant and I missed the post an hour or two earlier than mine. Guess I should read every post before I submit mine:o. I'll try to give you a http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/spork.gif anyway;).

verga
05-09-2011, 10:50 PM
in carolina and kentucky next year just declared for the draft, that's Brandon Knight, who i thought at the end of the year was the 1st. or 2nd. best player in college basketball, along with the Williams kid from Arizona. If Knight had stayed i would have put kentucky first.

Leck
05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
the holes, ohio state, 'cuse, uk, duke are mine. can't trust youth...although last year's tourney would run counter to that.

but i'm tellin ya...come late february/early march...no one will want to play us. 5 returnin upperclassmen that played major minutes and key newcomers...they'll have some growin pains, but the ceilin for this team is way up there. oh yea...and Q-easy is gonna have the kind of impact kendall marshall had w/ the holes last year. you heard it hear first. he's underrated.

darjum
05-10-2011, 01:04 AM

I'm not sure I agree with Syracuse being ranked this high, especially ahead of Duke. Rick Jackson is a big loss on the boards, whereas Duke return its primary rebounder and interior defender in MP2.

If you actually watched Syracuse play last year they were the pure definition of Jekyll and Hyde, one minute a dominate running team with athletic defenders, the next a complete mess with Scoop Jardine looking like the proverbial chicken minus a head. His shooting eff is so poor and if you want to be a dominate team your leader needs to be more consistent.

I will admit that Syracuse returns a lot of talent and the addition of Michael Carter-Williams will add depth to their back court. But Duke also adds significant depth at every position. Therefore in terms of talent alone, both squads are talented, Syracuse maybe more so. But I'm not sold on Fab Melo and unless Rakeem Christmas can step in as a freshman and dominate the boards Syracuse will rack up quite a few L's in the Big East. Duke does have upperclassman bigs who will provide the interior presence needed, which in my mind gives them an edge.

I do feel in Katz's small synopsis of Duke that he didn't mention that Duke also returns two Jr's and one Snr up front that will prevent the reliance on freshman unlike the UK perspective. But hey, it's a 100 words synopsis, can't be too hard on this.

nocilla
05-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Anyone else notice the "others to consider" included Miami and Virginia. I agree, with Reggie going back to Miami and Scott returning for UVA, they will be improved. I just thought it was interesting that Katz also sees them as potentially top 25 teams.

loldevilz
05-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Quinn Cook will also step in and play major minutes; so, too, will small forward Michael Gbinije and likely Marshall Plumlee, who will be joining his brothers, Mason and Miles. Much like Kentucky, Duke will rely heavily on freshmen.

Katz sees MP3, QC and MG getting major minutes and Duke relying on Frosh "much like Kentucky" I think it's probably an overstatement particularly regarding MP3's minutes.

And coaching. Calipari hasn't won squat.

Katz doesn't know what he's talking about with MP3 and QC. MP3 won't even touch the floor as he's a 3rd center. Quinn Cook will get only get spot minutes as a backup point guard.

COYS
05-10-2011, 09:06 AM

I'm not sure why Katz made this comparison, either. Duke will be younger this year than last in that the stars won't be senior national champions. However, Duke's rotation will include Ryan, Mason, Miles, Andre, and Seth, five upperclassmen who, along with Austin, will probably see the most minutes. Quinn, Marshall, Mike G, (and Alex Murphy, for that matter, if he doesn't redshirt) don't have to come in and be stars right away. Whereas UK's preferred lineup consisted of three freshman last year, I would be surprised if Duke ever needed to play three freshmen extended minutes next year, much less include three frosh in the preferred lineup. That would require a number of unfortunate circumstances, including injuries and poor play from our returnees from whom we all expect big things.

DukieinSoCal
05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I know it's way too early but just for fun, here's the newest bracketology on espn:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I guess we could restart the whole debate about whether it's better to be a 1 seed out West or a 2 seed in the East. It would be tough to take on an AZ squad in Phoenix but I'd rather avoid Kentucky, UNC, and OSU as long as possible and even hope that they fall before they reach the Final 4.

And doesn't it seem like we're seeing a pattern the past few years with Duke fighting for that last 1 seed? Just an observation.

gumbomoop
05-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I know it's way too early but just for fun, here's the newest bracketology on espn:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

The thing that jumps out at me - far more than anything else - is Lunardi bumping Miami up to a 4-seed.

A 4-seed? And I say this as someone who is pretty high on the Canes; I think they'll battle FSU for #3 in the ACC. FSU gets an 11-seed, below Clemson and VT. Is this all because Johnson came back and Singleton stayed in the draft?

The photo on ESPN's CBB front page also implies that Lunardi's 4th 1-seed is Syracuse, not Duke. Tricky.

Edit: FWIW, I think UVa will finish ahead of both Clemson and VT in the ACC.

mr. synellinden
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Luke Winn has us at number 3 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/05/11/power.rankings/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2), and also has some very nice comments about Austin Rivers and what he expects out of him next season.

AlaskanAssassin
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Jeff-Goodman-early-preseason-Top-25-051011

darjum
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Jeff-Goodman-early-preseason-Top-25-051011

Really, Syracuse and Louisville ahead of Duke?