PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Lax - Duke v Md in Final Four

burnspbesq
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
While we wait for the men's bracket to be announced, congrats to the Duke women on gaining the number five seed. They will play Penn at home in the first round, with a possible second-round matchup with Florida looming. Yo, Stray, I told you a month ago that this was a possibility.

burnspbesq
05-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Duke gets Delaware in the first round, at 5:00 Saturday at Koskinen. A potential rematch with NDin the second round looms.

Carolina and Maryland play in the first round. Snicker.

Duke's half of the bracket looks like this:

(1) Syracuse vs. Siena
(8) Carolina vs. Maryland
(4) Notre Dame vs. Penn (surprising!)
(5) Duke vs. Delaware

burnspbesq
05-08-2011, 09:26 PM
(2) Cornell vs. Hartford
(7) Virginia vs. Bucknell ("upset" alert!)
(3) Johns Hopkins vs. Hofstra
(6) Denver vs. Villanova

DevilWearsPrada
05-08-2011, 10:29 PM
For all that are close to Duke or nearby, please attend the Lacrosse match on Sat, at 5pm. It was so good to have the stadium full on Easter Sunday afternoon for the ACC championship! If you cant attend, it will be on ESPNU.

Lets Go Duke!

burnspbesq
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Initially, I was surprised to see Penn in and Colgate out. Then I looked at Colgate's schedule again. If you want to be in the tournament, don't lose to Vermont and Binghamton.

Great to see Denver get a home game.

With the one exception noted above, I think the selection committee did a good job. I think they may have undervalued Bucknell, which is why the Bison are my upset pick.

4decadedukie
05-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Initially, I was surprised to see Penn in and Colgate out. Then I looked at Colgate's schedule again. If you want to be in the tournament, don't lose to Vermont and Binghamton.

I agree, and would only add: beat Duke in February. I am convinced that Penn's "quality win" over our Devils was decisive in its selection.

MCFinARL
05-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree, and would only add: beat Duke in February. I am convinced that Penn's "quality win" over our Devils was decisive in its selection.

Seems likely. IIRC, Notre Dame's early win over Duke last year was cited as the main reason they got in instead of Georgetown--and we know how that turned out! Still, I'm not seeing a long tournament run for Penn given they way they have been playing in the late season.

From Duke's perspective, I like this draw pretty much. It's important to take every opponent seriously, and Delaware obviously played well in their conference tournament, but they don't look as potentially dangerous to me as some of the unseeded teams (Bucknell, say, or Hofstra--or Maryland!).

If Duke wins that one, they get a rematch against one or the other of the two teams they lost to early in the season, before Coach Danowski shuffled his attack and midfield lineups to good effect. And both Notre Dame and Penn have looked more vulnerable late in the season than they did earlier. Obviously, either of these teams could beat Duke again, but if Duke plays the way they have in their best games this season they should have a good chance against either one.

If Duke gets to Baltimore and finds Syracuse on the other side of the field, obviously that is another matter--but, as they say, that's why they play the games.

4decadedukie
05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Seems likely. IIRC, Notre Dame's early win over Duke last year was cited as the main reason they got in instead of Georgetown--and we know how that turned out! Still, I'm not seeing a long tournament run for Penn given they way they have been playing in the late season.

From Duke's perspective, I like this draw pretty much. It's important to take every opponent seriously, and Delaware obviously played well in their conference tournament, but they don't look as potentially dangerous to me as some of the unseeded teams (Bucknell, say, or Hofstra--or Maryland!).

If Duke wins that one, they get a rematch against one or the other of the two teams they lost to early in the season, before Coach Danowski shuffled his attack and midfield lineups to good effect. And both Notre Dame and Penn have looked more vulnerable late in the season than they did earlier. Obviously, either of these teams could beat Duke again, but if Duke plays the way they have in their best games this season they should have a good chance against either one.

If Duke gets to Baltimore and finds Syracuse on the other side of the field, obviously that is another matter--but, as they say, that's why they play the games.

This is an excellent summary, with which I fully agree.

Delaware should not be "too easy an out," although we should defeat them at home; I know the team will take this game seriously, will be well prepared, and will play with Tournament-level intensity.

It seem noteworthy that the five teams that defeated Duke this season -- Notre Dame, Penn, Syracuse, Denver and Maryland -- were all selected for the Division I Tournament. With only sixteen teams included, this (IMHO) illustrates why Duke's strength-of-schedule is so highly regarded.

On a personal note, my nephew graduates on Sunday, so I will be able to attend Saturday evening's Delaware game in Durham -- I "am" a lucky devil.

MCFinARL
05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
This is an excellent summary, with which I fully agree.

Delaware should not be "too easy an out," although we should defeat them at home; I know the team will take this game seriously, will be well prepared, and will play with Tournament-level intensity.

It seem noteworthy that the five teams that defeated Duke this season -- Notre Dame, Penn, Syracuse, Denver and Maryland -- were all selected for the Division I Tournament. With only sixteen teams included, this (IMHO) illustrates why Duke's strength-of-schedule is so highly regarded.

On a personal note, my nephew graduates on Sunday, so I will be able to attend Saturday evening's Delaware game in Durham -- I "am" a lucky devil.

Terrific--you are indeed a lucky devil. I got to attend the first round game against Loyola in 2008, when my daughter graduated. It was a pleasure, and especially poignant because my daughter and her friends (and most of the Duke fans) were cheering heartily for former classmate Colin Finnerty, who had a good game for Loyola, as well as for Duke.

4decadedukie
05-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Terrific--you are indeed a lucky devil. I got to attend the first round game against Loyola in 2008, when my daughter graduated. It was a pleasure, and especially poignant because my daughter and her friends (and most of the Duke fans) were cheering heartily for former classmate Colin Finnerty, who had a good game for Loyola, as well as for Duke.

As I recall -- and I could be wrong, this could be an "urban myth" -- the 2008 Duke Men's Lax "informal team portrait" (taken at Loyola) included Colin. I hope this is true, since he will ALWAYS be a Dukie in my heart.

burnspbesq
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The average score of Duke's last five first-round games is 17-5.

The x-factors for Duke are face-offs and goaltending. If we win even 52-53 percent, and Good Dan Wigrizer shows up, we'll be fine. If not ... We won't have to worry about whether or not to double-pole ND's first midfield.

MCFinARL
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
The average score of Duke's last five first-round games is 17-5.

The x-factors for Duke are face-offs and goaltending. If we win even 52-53 percent, and Good Dan Wigrizer shows up, we'll be fine. If not ... We won't have to worry about whether or not to double-pole ND's first midfield.

That sounds right. Coach Danowski said at the beginning of the season, if I recall, that Wigrizer could be inconsistent, and that has proven to be true. I think over all his play has definitely improved from last year, though, and we can hope that the experience of being in the playoffs before will help. As for faceoffs, we had been getting 50 percent or more most of the time until the inexplicable total fail in the Maryland game--don't know if that was just a brilliant performance by the UMD faceoff guy or if something was awry with our guys--but hopefully they have been working on righting that ship.

burnspbesq
05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Meade out at Navy, Seaman out at Towson.

jkidd31
05-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd like another shot at ND. Their defense has looked suspect the last half of the season. Their best wins were Duke and Denver and those were early.

MCFinARL
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
I'd like another shot at ND. Their defense has looked suspect the last half of the season. Their best wins were Duke and Denver and those were early.

I agree with you. If we get to the second round, either way we will play a team that beat us early in the season, and either way I think we have a fair chance to produce a different outcome this time.

fh84
05-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Does anybody here know if there are student tickets available for the NCAA tournament game on Saturday?

4decadedukie
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Does anybody here know if there are student tickets available for the NCAA tournament game on Saturday?

Check goduke.com; however, when I looked earlier this week, tickets were available at $5 (if I remember properly), perhaps a buck less for seniors and students.

burnspbesq
05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
ESPNU is showing last year's championship game at 1:00 a.m. and again at 7:00 a.m. Pacific time tomorrow. Check you program guide for the time in your area.

MCFinARL
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
ESPNU is showing last year's championship game at 1:00 a.m. and again at 7:00 a.m. Pacific time tomorrow. Check you program guide for the time in your area.

Thanks--although, having sweated that one out (literally and figuratively) in person last year, sometimes I prefer just to watch the overtime. ;)
It's available here for people who only have a minute to watch (for some reason, I am having trouble dealing with YouTube directly today). http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/09/21/inside-lacrosse-2010-laxies-highlight-reel-goals-vie-your-votes

Also, all 8 first round tournament games will be broadcast on various ESPN channels this weekend. Duke-Delaware is on ESPNU at 5 PM tomorrow.

buddy
05-13-2011, 07:42 PM
As I recall -- and I could be wrong, this could be an "urban myth" -- the 2008 Duke Men's Lax "informal team portrait" (taken at Loyola) included Colin. I hope this is true, since he will ALWAYS be a Dukie in my heart.

You are correct about the team portrait. The players specifically wanted to include Collin. Someone with better talents than mind may be able to post it.

DevilWearsPrada
05-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks--although, having sweated that one out (literally and figuratively) in person last year, sometimes I prefer just to watch the overtime. ;)
It's available here for people who only have a minute to watch (for some reason, I am having trouble dealing with YouTube directly today). http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/09/21/inside-lacrosse-2010-laxies-highlight-reel-goals-vie-your-votes

Also, all 8 first round tournament games will be broadcast on various ESPN channels this weekend. Duke-Delaware is on ESPNU at 5 PM tomorrow.

We all sweated alot in Baltimore for the Championship game!!! It felt like 100 degrees plus sitting in the stadium. But a great match with a National Championship! I like to see the OVERTIME and watch it on YouTube. Awesome Face Off and quick OT!

Hope the weather in Durham will be clear for the game today!

Lets Go Duke!

buddy
05-14-2011, 09:18 AM
We all sweated alot in Baltimore for the Championship game!!! It felt like 100 degrees plus sitting in the stadium. But a great match with a National Championship! I like to see the OVERTIME and watch it on YouTube. Awesome Face Off and quick OT!

Hope the weather in Durham will be clear for the game today!

Lets Go Duke!

It felt like 100 degrees because it WAS 100 degrees. The thermometer on the field at game time read 105. It was so hot I drank 4 bottles of water without having to visit the men's room!

PumpkinFunk
05-14-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm graduating on Sunday but I unfortunately can't make the game tonight. I wish that I could, but my parents are coming in and we have dinner plans already laid out. If we make the semifinls, I'm definitely making the trip from DC to Baltimore. Holding out some hope here. Also hoping we get another shot at Penn and get the double-whammy of knocking their men's and women's teams out, after some of the crap my twin brother, who goes to Penn, has given me.

MCFinARL
05-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm graduating on Sunday but I unfortunately can't make the game tonight. I wish that I could, but my parents are coming in and we have dinner plans already laid out. If we make the semifinls, I'm definitely making the trip from DC to Baltimore. Holding out some hope here. Also hoping we get another shot at Penn and get the double-whammy of knocking their men's and women's teams out, after some of the crap my twin brother, who goes to Penn, has given me.

Game isn't over yet, but it looks like you may have to settle for giving your brother crap about Penn looking pretty weak against Notre Dame, alas. Congratulations on your graduation.

House G
05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
ESPN just announced that Duke's goalie is out because of a concussion.

MCFinARL
05-14-2011, 04:59 PM
ESPN just announced that Duke's goalie is out because of a concussion.

Yes, does anyone know anything about this? It might be okay this week (we will have to see--Mike Rock has some game experience but he is not as good overall is Wigrizer is when he is playing well), but if he can't play next week that could be real trouble.

MCFinARL
05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
So far so good. Duke up 6-1 at the end of the first quarter, and Rock has played well--made some saves including a couple of very good ones.

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2011, 05:50 PM
We are chatting if anyone wants to join. (Snrub is empty)
No password needed..just pick a username.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat/

heyman25
05-14-2011, 08:56 PM
not a very good win but a win.

15-14
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/defending-champion-duke-tops-delaware-15-14-in-1st-round-of-ncaa-lacrosse-tourney/2011/05/14/AFQeWj3G_story.html

MCFinARL
05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
not a very good win but a win.

15-14
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/defending-champion-duke-tops-delaware-15-14-in-1st-round-of-ncaa-lacrosse-tourney/2011/05/14/AFQeWj3G_story.html

Agreed. Our youth really showed today--lots of sloppy turnovers. It was frustrating how often Duke followed a really good play with a big mistake that led to a Delaware score. They will need to be much crisper next week to even stay in the game with Notre Dame.

burnspbesq
05-14-2011, 11:35 PM
It's a little counter-intuitive to say that a goaltender was POTG in a game where your team gave up 14 goals, but Mike Rock saved Duke's season - literally and figuratively.

Delaware is a lot better than I thought they were.

Hopefully we got the freshman mistakes (not all of which were made by freshmen) out of our system.

Any word on the severity of Tripucka's injury?

buddy
05-15-2011, 09:06 AM
It's a little counter-intuitive to say that a goaltender was POTG in a game where your team gave up 14 goals, but Mike Rock saved Duke's season - literally and figuratively.

Delaware is a lot better than I thought they were.

Hopefully we got the freshman mistakes (not all of which were made by freshmen) out of our system.

Any word on the severity of Tripucka's injury?

I agree that Rock was the difference in this game. He made all the saves he should have, and some that he probably shouldn't have. Our defense allowed Delaware to walk in far too many times. Mike was defenseless on most of the goals he gave up, even in settled situations. Let's just hope it was rust, but our guys looked gassed at the end. Not like Duke to lose a conditioning battle. Oh well, survive and advance.

jkidd31
05-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Duke's close D really needs to step it up if they want to play longer this year. The offense can play with anyone. The first game against ND they gave the Irish way too many easy looks. My sons lacrosse coach played for ND and graduated in '09 so we have been giving each other some friendly jabs on the potential rematch.

burnspbesq
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
The Blue Devils avenge a loss to the Quakers in the regular season finale.

Mollie Mackler had a big game in goal for Duke, including a momentum-changing one-on-one stuff of Penn's Meredith Cain with less than six minutes to go.

On to ... umm ... Gainesville? Wait ... that can't be right. Can it?

MCFinARL
05-15-2011, 04:36 PM
The Blue Devils avenge a loss to the Quakers in the regular season finale.

Mollie Mackler had a big game in goal for Duke, including a momentum-changing one-on-one stuff of Penn's Meredith Cain with less than six minutes to go.

On to ... umm ... Gainesville? Wait ... that can't be right. Can it?

Yeah, that's just crazy talk.

DukeBlueNikeShox
05-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Florida is in its 2nd season. They were ranked as high as #2 this season and has a win over Northwestern.

jkidd31
05-15-2011, 08:40 PM
You can't comment on women's lax in a mens thread...they have crazy rules even mens players don't understand. Like what the heck is shooting space??

burnspbesq
05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
shooting space = what was between the ears of the Bucknell players and staff in the last three minutes of regulation. Jeez, guys, when they come out and double-team the ball, your first look is to the guy being guarded by the goaltender, and even if that guy is your last offensive option, he dodges. And if you get control in your own end, and the other team is in a ten-man ride, clear the stinkin' ball before you look at the goal.

The Hoos should be dead and buried.

MCFinARL
05-15-2011, 10:51 PM
You can't comment on women's lax in a mens thread...they have crazy rules even mens players don't understand. Like what the heck is shooting space??

Well, there is a lot to be said for burnspbesq's answer, but a more straightforward answer would be that "shooting space" has to do with the arcane rule in women's lacrosse that you, essentially, can't move between a potential shooter and the goal. (I may not be getting that exactly right--I'm remembering from when my daughter played in high school. But I think that is the general idea.) It is, indeed, a very different game, but given the small number of people who comment on lacrosse at all on this board, it may not make a lot of sense to try to sustain separate men's and women's lacrosse threads.

MCFinARL
05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Florida is in its 2nd season. They were ranked as high as #2 this season and has a win over Northwestern.

Yes, I know they are very good. It's just pretty odd to think of a tournament game hosted by Florida because, as you note, the team is in its second season. There was actually just an article about this in the NYTimes--when the University decided to adopt the sport, they took it on with the intention of becoming very competitive very quickly, and they have succeeded by hiring a terrific coach who has been an enthusiastic and convincing recruiter.

wallyman
05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
WLAX: Where would you rather play lacrosse: Gainesville or Evanston?

MLAX: Even if you didn't know anything about lacrosse other than what a jerk Starsia was during the hoax and UVA's ugly history in the last year, you still couldn't believe Bucknell could be so pathetic as to blow that game with stupid shots, they didn't need to take. Those guys deserve to feel miserable -- what a choke.

MCFinARL
05-16-2011, 08:50 AM
WLAX: Where would you rather play lacrosse: Gainesville or Evanston?

Well, from one point of view--the weather--Evanston looks pretty good. Predicted highs there this weekend are in the high 60s to low 70s. Weekend prediction for Gainesville is highs in the 90s.

But given a choice I'd rather play Florida--they are very good, but they are young and have no previous tournament experience. Northwestern, while not as awesome as they were a couple of years ago, is a seasoned competitor, and they beat Duke earlier this year (albeit the game was closer than in some previous years). I don't know if Duke can beat Florida, but I have no particular reason to think they can't, either.

DukieInKansas
05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Apparently, Maryland pulled the hidden ball trick on unc this weekend. Here's a link:http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/maryland-pulls-off-the-old-hidden-ball-trick-in-lacrosse-video/

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Apparently, Maryland pulled the hidden ball trick on unc this weekend. Here's a link:http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/maryland-pulls-off-the-old-hidden-ball-trick-in-lacrosse-video/
HAHA, I watched that..toooooo funny. It was also fun to watch the heels get the snot beat out of them at home.

MCFinARL
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
HAHA, I watched that..toooooo funny. It was also fun to watch the heels get the snot beat out of them at home.

Yes, it was amazing--so well executed that absolutely no one except for the Maryland players involved and apparently a couple of guys on the Tar Heel bench, who were screaming to no avail, had any idea. When the ball ended up in the goal, the commentators were a little befuddled (and I sure was, watching on TV) until they figured it out.

Bluedog
05-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Well, from one point of view--the weather--Evanston looks pretty good. Predicted highs there this weekend are in the high 60s to low 70s. Weekend prediction for Gainesville is highs in the 90s.

You prefer Evanston weather to Gainesville during the school year? Wow. Being in Chicago, I have to disagree. The high yesterday (in mid May!) was 48 degrees....and rainy. April had 12 days that had temps in the 30s with only 4 that reached at least 70. (!!!) This weather is making me angry. I'd gladly take 90s right now...Was still wearing a winter coat this weekend.

MCFinARL
05-16-2011, 05:26 PM
You prefer Evanston weather to Gainesville during the school year? Wow. Being in Chicago, I have to disagree. The high yesterday (in mid May!) was 48 degrees....and rainy. April had 12 days that had temps in the 30s with only 4 that reached at least 70. (!!!) This weather is making me angry. I'd gladly take 90s right now...Was still wearing a winter coat this weekend.

Point taken--and if you are considering the whole season, certainly Evanston wouldn't be my pick. But in my defense, I was just basing the choice on the weather report for this weekend, and I was also imagining people running around actively for an hour. If I were going to do that, I'd rather do it at 66 degrees than 92 degrees. But my condolences for the spring weather you are currently experiencing.

jkidd31
05-16-2011, 11:25 PM

I watched some of that game and missed that...classic.

I saw pieces of roughly half the games this w/e. Syracuse you have no clue what team will show up. They are loaded so who knows. Hopkins looks as good as anyone and are playing with a ton of confindence. They have gotten better as the season progressed. Needless to say I'm looking forward to this w/e.

moonpie23
05-17-2011, 12:37 AM
that is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! doesn't beat the boise state statue of liberty, but dang funny to see the holes rooked...

weezie
05-17-2011, 09:05 AM
"More importantly, you faked out north carolina" hahahahah.

killerleft
05-17-2011, 10:45 AM

:D I'm still laughing! I doubt anything will ever top the "Shoestring Play" run by Wes Chesson many years ago, though. At least several Tar Heels tried to catch Wes.

uh_no
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
"More importantly, you faked out north carolina" hahahahah.

Not even butch davis' "tutors" were able to figure this one out

TonyWR
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Any time the tar holes get beat (in any sport) its cause for celebration!

burnspbesq
05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Virginia winning is not a huge surprise. Even with key injuries and disciplinary problems, the Hoos still have a lot of talented guys. The way they won is shocking. A 9-0 run fueled by the same zone defense that ACC teams riddled? Wow.

In the other game, Denver got contributions from a lot of its complimentary players, Faus made the saves he needed to make, and Hopkins' lack of a behind-the-net threat finally caught up with them. Hopkins earned its three seed, but today, Denver was clearly the better team.

If you thought two weeks ago that Denver would be bringing its white unis to Baltimore, I hope you got a bet down somewhere.

Two more great games on tap tomorrow.

burnspbesq
05-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Duke 13, Florida 9. A 5-0 run over the last 14 minutes made the difference. A huge game from Kat Thomas with three goals and four draw controls, and Emma Hamm also had a hat trick.

Duke will play top seed Maryland in the national semis late Friday afternoon in Stony Brook. The other semi will be Carolina against either Northwestern or upstart Albany.

wallyman
05-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Congrats to Women's LAX. They've come close in recent years. Would be great if they made it over the top this year.

devildeac
05-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Duke 13, Florida 9. A 5-0 run over the last 14 minutes made the difference. A huge game from Kat Thomas with three goals and four draw controls, and Emma Hamm also had a hat trick.

Duke will play top seed Maryland in the national semis late Friday afternoon in Stony Brook. The other semi will be Carolina against either Northwestern or upstart Albany.

Should help a bit more with Director Cup points:cool:.

jkidd31
05-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Virginia winning is not a huge surprise. Even with key injuries and disciplinary problems, the Hoos still have a lot of talented guys. The way they won is shocking. A 9-0 run fueled by the same zone defense that ACC teams riddled? Wow.

In the other game, Denver got contributions from a lot of its complimentary players, Faus made the saves he needed to make, and Hopkins' lack of a behind-the-net threat finally caught up with them. Hopkins earned its three seed, but today, Denver was clearly the better team.

If you thought two weeks ago that Denver would be bringing its white unis to Baltimore, I hope you got a bet down somewhere.

Two more great games on tap tomorrow.

When Hopkins brought it back to 8-7 you thought the wheels might come off. They really cranked it up from there. Truly impressive. Also odd that Cornell played arguably their worst two games against UVa. Virginia was on fire the last part of the 2nd Quarter. Steele Stanwick might be one of the best names in lacrosse...sounds totally like he could be in adult entertainment.

Two ACC/Big East match up today. I think Maryland can give 'cuse issues. The Duke/ND game will be decided by Duke's Defense.

MCFinARL
05-22-2011, 11:57 AM
When Hopkins brought it back to 8-7 you thought the wheels might come off. They really cranked it up from there. Truly impressive. Also odd that Cornell played arguably their worst two games against UVa. Virginia was on fire the last part of the 2nd Quarter. Steele Stanwick might be one of the best names in lacrosse...sounds totally like he could be in adult entertainment.

Two ACC/Big East match up today. I think Maryland can give 'cuse issues. The Duke/ND game will be decided by Duke's Defense.

Totally agree. At that moment it seemed clear Denver would either step up or fold, and--I admit to my surprise, even though I knew how well they had played against Duke earlier this season--they stepped up.

You are right about Duke, as well. I think the Duke offense is much improved from earlier this season and will be able to score some on the ND defense--but they will not be able to score at will, so the defense really needs to control Notre Dame's scoring.

Bluedog
05-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Is Duke's starting goalie expected to play? I thought he sat out last round due to a concussion....Sorry I don't follow lacrosse that closely. Go Duke!

House G
05-22-2011, 12:45 PM
This may have been mentioned already, but ESPNU had an All-access Duke LAX program this morning. I believe it will be shown again on 6/1/11 @7:30 pm CDT.

burnspbesq
05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Higher seeded teams are 0-3 in the quarters. The winner of Duke-ND will be the highest seeded team to make it to Baltimore.

BD80
05-22-2011, 02:41 PM
... Steele Stanwick might be one of the best names in lacrosse...sounds totally like he could be in adult entertainment. ...

That would be Stan Steelewick ...

MCFinARL
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
That would be Stan Steelewick ...

Oh, no you didn't!

In other news, this game is very tight--3-3 at half after Duke got down early. Wigrizer having a career day so far. But the rest of the defense needs to give him more help if they can. ND defense is very solid, so Duke is having to work unbelievably hard just to get good shots.

jkidd31
05-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Oh, no you didn't!

In other news, this game is very tight--3-3 at half after Duke got down early. Wigrizer having a career day so far. But the rest of the defense needs to give him more help if they can. ND defense is very solid, so Duke is having to work unbelievably hard just to get good shots.

Wigrizer is single handedly keeping us in the game. All three of the ND goals appeared to have defensive breakdowns. Offense made some tough shots to keep us in.

loran16
05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Wigrizer is clearly the MVP of this game. Notre Dame just can't get anything past him.

Which is funny because it's the reverse of last year, where ND had an insane goalie (and D) and Duke has massive goaltending issues.

InSpades
05-22-2011, 04:46 PM
What a weekend for ACC lacrosse. 3 of the 4 teams in the semi-finals (and the 4th ACC team lost to another ACC team in the round of 16). They mentioned during the broadcast that this wasn't the ACC's most dominant year in the regular season but they stepped it up when it counted.

Perhaps most impressive is UVA. They are used to advancing this far of course but... they suspended 2 of their best players (2 twin brother seniors) due to violating team rules recently. Apparently after the tragedy last year (when a men's lacrosse player killed a women's lacrosse player) the men's team took efforts to clean up their image. The Bratton brothers violated some of the rules in place and were suspended from the team. It's nice to see that they tried to clean up their image and didn't make exceptions for their better players.

AtlBluRew
05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm proud of our team .... as usual!

MCFinARL
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
So--ACC tournament II next week, with Denver playing the interloper. Crazy!

This was supposed to be the ACC's down year.

loldevilz
05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
What a weekend for ACC lacrosse. 3 of the 4 teams in the semi-finals (and the 4th ACC team lost to another ACC team in the round of 16). They mentioned during the broadcast that this wasn't the ACC's most dominant year in the regular season but they stepped it up when it counted.

Perhaps most impressive is UVA. They are used to advancing this far of course but... they suspended 2 of their best players (2 twin brother seniors) due to violating team rules recently. Apparently after the tragedy last year (when a men's lacrosse player killed a women's lacrosse player) the men's team took efforts to clean up their image. The Bratton brothers violated some of the rules in place and were suspended from the team. It's nice to see that they tried to clean up their image and didn't make exceptions for their better players.

And the crazy thing is that last year the ACC only lost to other ACC teams with all of them on one side of the bracket. The ACC has really become the dominant conference in lacrosse.

burnspbesq
05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
The best defensive performance by a Duke team in a very long time. Two goals allowed in the last 45:11. Fourteen saves for Wiggy. After being dominated on face-offs and ground balls in the first quarter, we picked it up noticeably.

If we play defense like that in Baltimore, no reason why we can't win twice.

77devil
05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
The best defensive performance by a Duke team in a very long time. Two goals allowed in the last 45:11. Fourteen saves for Wiggy. After being dominated on face-offs and ground balls in the first quarter, we picked it up noticeably.

If we play defense like that in Baltimore, no reason why we can't win twice.

It would be a remarkable accomplishment with a such young team in a "rebuilding" season. This is an outstanding coaching job by Coach Danowski and his staff.

Heading back to Baltimore next weekend to extend my 2010 final four mojo(Indy and Baltimore). Go Devils.

Indoor66
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Mike who?

MB in MD
05-22-2011, 06:07 PM
A really gratifying win. Wigrizer went from being a main question mark to the main reason we win. Nice to see him get that satisfaction.

Taking down the Terps in Baltimore will be no easy thing but it's nice we have the chance. This weekend went nothing like I had thought, but hopefully Duke will stop the run of the underdog.

loldevilz
05-22-2011, 06:56 PM
It would be a remarkable accomplishment with a such young team in a "rebuilding" season. This is an outstanding coaching job by Coach Danowski and his staff.

Heading back to Baltimore next weekend to extend my 2010 final four mojo(Indy and Baltimore). Go Devils.

Yeah this has been a fantastic coaching job by Danowski. I still can't believe how good this team has been considering they lost Mike Manley, Parker McKee, Max Quinzani, and Ned Crotty. The freshman Danowski brought have been excellent: Jordan Wolf, Christian Walsh, Luke Duprey, Chris Hipps.

The way he has tweaked the team over the season to me is the most impressive. He moved Wolf and Walsh to the offense and pulled Rotanz and Virtue off the bench. This team has gotten better every week.

MCFinARL
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah this has been a fantastic coaching job by Danowski. I still can't believe how good this team has been considering they lost Mike Manley, Parker McKee, Max Quinzani, and Ned Crotty. The freshman Danowski brought have been excellent: Jordan Wolf, Christian Walsh, Luke Duprey, Chris Hipps.

The way he has tweaked the team over the season to me is the most impressive. He moved Wolf and Walsh to the offense and pulled Rotanz and Virtue off the bench. This team has gotten better every week.

Virtue is especially a surprise as he is a senior, I think, and has been riding the bench pretty much the whole time before getting some minutes here and there this season; nice to see a guy like that come up with a big goal. Rotanz got a fair amount of minutes last year, though he didn't start.

Really, if Danowski hadn't gotten coach of the year last year, I think he'd have to be the front runner for it this year.

Even better news, I believe our next incoming class is supposed to be very strong--so we will be adding some new young talent, probably getting Manley back for his redshirt year, and losing only two starters--Howell and Montelli. Good starters, to be sure, but still.

Also happy to see Justin Turri looking strong. I gather he has had some injury issues this season, but today he looked like last year's Turri again--and good timing, as we will need everyone next week.

BD80
05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Goaltending and face-offs. May not be sexy, but the two most important aspects of lacrosse.

Verga3
05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Goaltending and face-offs. May not be sexy, but the two most important aspects of lacrosse.

Amen...and add ground balls. Congrats to this great team and their leader!!

BD80
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Amen...and add ground balls. ...

And surprise! Those are are four weapons ...

roywhite
05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Five straight Final Fours for the Lax team!
(and very well could be 7 straight but for the cancelled 2006 season).

What a great job by Coach Danowski and the team to turn a "rebuilding year" into another championship possibility.

devildeac
05-22-2011, 10:44 PM
And surprise! Those are are four weapons ...

Oh, no, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition again:

“NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.”

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSe38dzJYkY

jkidd31
05-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Ditto everyone else on the improved D (after being shredded by Delaware) and Wigrizer. If you told ND before the game with the way Duke played on D last week and Duke would score 7, they would have had to like their chances. What about the goals though? Seemed like everyone was in a corner or just inside a post with a ND defender hanging off.

uh_no
05-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Five straight Final Fours for the Lax team!
(and very well could be 7 straight but for the cancelled 2006 season).

What a great job by Coach Danowski and the team to turn a "rebuilding year" into another championship possibility.

ugh....and we'd have several more nattys to show for it if it weren't for hopkins :|

Frybay
05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Great Job Duke!
We need some turtle soup next please!
They might as well hate us in every sport!

-bdbd
05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Great Job Duke!
We need some turtle soup next please!
They might as well hate us in every sport!

Go Devils!!! The Duke-MD game will be Sat., 5/28 at 6PM. The UVA game precedes it at 4PM. Having gone before, in Baltimore for the FF they rarely sell out, but expect over 40K fans (especially with "home" MD team playing!). But if you want good seats, get them early. BTW, it is going to be in the 90's later this week in DC/Baltimore, so I recommend trying for shaded area seats.

Just received an email broadcast from the Iron Dukes. It included the following:

2011 Men's & Women's Lacrosse Final Four
The Duke Men's & Women's Lacrosse teams have advanced to the Final Four of the 2011 NCAA Tournament after thrilling wins this weekend! We hope that you will be able to support the Blue Devils next weekend in Baltimore or Stony Brook.

Duke Men's Lacrosse
As an Iron Dukes member or former Lacrosse student-athlete, you may request up to five (5) tickets to cheer on Duke at M&T Bank Stadium. On Saturday, May 28 in the national semi-finals Game 1 (Virginia vs. Denver) will begin at 4 pm, followed by Game 2 at 6:30 pm (Duke vs. Maryland). The winners of each game will advance to the National Championship game on Monday, May 30 at 3:30 pm.
You can make your ticket requests online by going to www.GoDuke.com/tickets...

:cool:

burnspbesq
05-25-2011, 01:23 AM
The official announcement of the move from MCLA to D1. Apparently the Wolverines will join the ECAC.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michigan-reportedly-to-add-mens-and-womens-lacrosse-at-a-wednesday-press-conference/

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 08:39 AM
The official announcement of the move from MCLA to D1. Apparently the Wolverines will join the ECAC.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michigan-reportedly-to-add-mens-and-womens-lacrosse-at-a-wednesday-press-conference/

Yes, well, if Denver can be in something called the Eastern College Athletic Conference (at least that is what it used to be called, maybe not any more?) I suppose there is no reason Michigan can't be.

But as lacrosse becomes more of a presence in the Midwest and West it seems like there might be some more logical conference alignments. The Big Ten football/basketball conference now will have at least 3 men's lacrosse teams (OSU, PSU, Michigan--am I forgetting anyone?) and might make a viable conference with Notre Dame and possibly Denver if they could find one more team (Detroit?)--or they could be a non-automatic bid conference with a tournament, like the ACC, even with four.

burnspbesq
05-25-2011, 09:04 AM
There is a logical "Western League," which could still be administered by the ECAC, with Denver, Air Force, Michigan, Detroit (moved from the MAAC), Ohio State, Bellarmine, and Marquette when it starts up in 2013. Fairfield and Loyola make more sense in the MAAC anyway. Hobart could go to the NEC, or take a reality check and drop down to D3 where it is a member of a good league in other sports and would have natural local rivalries with Cortland and RIT.

The bigger issue comes up when two more leagues get AQs. If you assume that all four ACC schools and Hop are always going to be good enough to make the tournament, then there are only three at-large slots in a 16- team field. A 20- team field with midweek play-in games seems inevitable.

roywhite
05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
In a time of budgetary constraints for college athletic departments, it's testimony to the appeal of lacrosse that schools are adding varsity programs.

sagegrouse
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
In a time of budgetary constraints for college athletic departments, it's testimony to the appeal of lacrosse that schools are adding varsity programs.

I understand from veteran LAXers that lacrosse is growing rapidly across the country in areas where it was unknown ten or more years ago. Some say the growth is at the expense of baseball, where there is a lot of standing around (and only one guy gets a stick :p ). There is a lot of lacrosse being played in Colorado, both in the mountains and down on the Front Range.

I suspect this is a bubble-up phenomenon more than a planned expansion by the colleges. I wonder how the number of male and female college teams compare (Title IX issue).

sagegrouse
'BTW the college LAXers today look like football players from the era of one-platoon football. Not a lot of jumbos, who would have had to play both ways'

burnspbesq
05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
<< I wonder how the number of male and female college teams compare (Title IX issue).>>

Men = 61, net gain of zero next year (Michigan in, Presbyterian out), add Marquette in 2013.

Women = 80-something, add Michigan, Marquette, and USC (Women of Troy, not Gamehens) in 2013.

yancem
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I understand from veteran LAXers that lacrosse is growing rapidly across the country in areas where it was unknown ten or more years ago. Some say the growth is at the expense of baseball, where there is a lot of standing around (and only one guy gets a stick :p ). There is a lot of lacrosse being played in Colorado, both in the mountains and down on the Front Range.

I suspect this is a bubble-up phenomenon more than a planned expansion by the colleges. I wonder how the number of male and female college teams compare (Title IX issue).

sagegrouse
'BTW the college LAXers today look like football players from the era of one-platoon football. Not a lot of jumbos, who would have had to play both ways'

My 7 year old son is taking an interest in lacrosse (his two cousins play) and next year we are probably going to have to choose between lacrosse and baseball. He already does Tae Kwon Do and cub scouts, which are year round so there isn't room for two spring sports in our schedule. Lacrosse is a more dynamic sport and for a kid like mine who has boundless amounts of energy, it is probably a better fit.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
In addition to the sport's growing popularity at the youth and high school level, I think lacrosse is attractive because, with a growing pool of talent and relatively few college programs currently operating, it's a sport where you can become competitive very quickly if you are willing to invest the resources.

This is especially true in women's lacrosse, where Northwestern went from club team to NCAA champion in 4 years and, more recently, Florida has made a big splash in its second season.

Of course, on the women's side, Title IX is a boost rather than an obstacle. But even on the men's side, the success of teams like Notre Dame and Denver [I know these aren't new teams, though in the case of Denver hiring Coach Tierney suggests a new dedication to success in the sport)] shows that there is room for non-traditional lacrosse powers to make an impact.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 11:00 AM
My 7 year old son is taking an interest in lacrosse (his two cousins play) and next year we are probably going to have to choose between lacrosse and baseball. He already does Tae Kwon Do and cub scouts, which are year round so there isn't room for two spring sports in our schedule. Lacrosse is a more dynamic sport and for a kid like mine who has boundless amounts of energy, it is probably a better fit.

Baseball is a sport with a great history and tradition, and of course it can be a lot of fun--I don't think it will disappear. But in a way it seems like a sport for another era--less fast-paced, a good activity (or spectator sport) for a hot, lazy afternoon [and, no, I'm not suggesting that the players are lazy, only describing the tempo of the sport], with bursts of activity surrounded by stretches of patient waiting. These days we are more frenetic and over-stimulated, and a more dynamic--to use your apt word--sport seems like a better match for a lot of folks.

roywhite
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Baseball is a sport with a great history and tradition, and of course it can be a lot of fun--I don't think it will disappear. But in a way it seems like a sport for another era--less fast-paced, a good activity (or spectator sport) for a hot, lazy afternoon [and, no, I'm not suggesting that the players are lazy, only describing the tempo of the sport], with bursts of activity surrounded by stretches of patient waiting. These days we are more frenetic and over-stimulated, and a more dynamic--to use your apt word--sport seems like a better match for a lot of folks.

Good observation.

We've seen football overcome baseball in popularity. Lacrosse seems to also provide a good alternative to football in some ways---though it is a fast sport with some physical contact, it doesn't have quite the injury risk that we see in football. Not that there is no risk to lacrosse, but I see many parents nowadays who just don't want their boys to play football, especially with increased concerns about the impact of concussions.

Indoor66
05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Good observation.

We've seen football overcome baseball in popularity. Lacrosse seems to also provide a good alternative to football in some ways---though it is a fast sport with some physical contact, it doesn't have quite the injury risk that we see in football. Not that there is no risk to lacrosse, but I see many parents nowadays who just don't want their boys to play football, especially with increased concerns about the impact of concussions.

I think a lot of that concern is the result of pushing kids too far too fast. They attempt to outperform their body development and have resulting injuries.

DukieInKansas
05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
A young man at church and his buddy (7th graders) are going to hold a lacrosse "camp" for 2nd graders this summer. It's something they decided to do on their own. It will be fun to hear how it goes.

MCFinARL
05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
A young man at church and his buddy (7th graders) are going to hold a lacrosse "camp" for 2nd graders this summer. It's something they decided to do on their own. It will be fun to hear how it goes.

Yes, it will. Lacrosse at the basic level--successfully passing, catching, and running with the ball in your stick--requires more coordination than soccer at the basic level. The challenge will be finding ways to make the activity fun for kids who are young enough that most may need a fair amount of time to attain these skills. Hopefully the 7th graders are young enough themselves that they remember how hard it was to learn. And they might think seriously about starting with tennis balls for safety reasons.

DukieInKansas
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes, it will. Lacrosse at the basic level--successfully passing, catching, and running with the ball in your stick--requires more coordination than soccer at the basic level. The challenge will be finding ways to make the activity fun for kids who are young enough that most may need a fair amount of time to attain these skills. Hopefully the 7th graders are young enough themselves that they remember how hard it was to learn. And they might think seriously about starting with tennis balls for safety reasons.

I'll pass along the tennis ball idea. The boys haven't been playing that long so I'm sure they remember the learning phase. I don't think they are expecting a large group.

Atlanta Duke
05-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Of course by far the most popular sport of them all fits that definition as well:)

Football combines the two worst features of American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings. - George F. Will
http://www.famous-quotes.com/topic.php?tid=484

DukieInKansas
05-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Of course by far the most popular sport of them all fits that definition as well:)

Football combines the two worst features of American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings. - George F. Will
http://www.famous-quotes.com/topic.php?tid=484

Or this description from Andy Griffith - What it Was, Was Football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FibbKyBTJX4&feature=related

burnspbesq
05-26-2011, 12:38 PM
88 with a chance of t'storms on Saturday.

90 and humid on Monday.

burnspbesq
05-27-2011, 10:56 AM
The one Maryland player who can beat Duke all by himself is Curtis Holmes. In the win over the turtles in March, Duke was 10-19 on faceoffs. In the loss, Duke was 6-24. Duke is better when they make it three vs. three instead of one vs. one. Our faceoff guys need to make every faceoff a scrum and rely on wingers to pick up ground balls.

Offensive diversity is key to Duke's success.

(1) Duke is 9-1 in games in which both Walsh and Wolf score at least one goal; conversely, they are 2-2 in games in which both are shut out, and the two wins are meaningless because they were Mercer and Presbyterian in which the starters hardly played.

(2) Similarly, Duke is 10-2 in games where the first two midfield units contribute five or more goals, and 4-3 in games where they are held under five.

Defensive discipline is also going to be key. We can't have any repeats of the Keystone Kops routine between Tripucka and Hipps that led to Notre Dame's first goal. Hipps and Duprey have to stay on the field and not take silly penalties. Costabile has to be fundamentally sound. If I were Gabrielli, I would be thinking carefully about not sliding off Catalino when he is on the wing; he is Maryland's biggest catch-and-shoot threat. Bottom line: we can't be in a position where we need a big game from Wigrizer, because there is no assurance that we'll get it.

MCFinARL
05-27-2011, 03:06 PM
The one Maryland player who can beat Duke all by himself is Curtis Holmes. In the win over the turtles in March, Duke was 10-19 on faceoffs. In the loss, Duke was 6-24. Duke is better when they make it three vs. three instead of one vs. one. Our faceoff guys need to make every faceoff a scrum and rely on wingers to pick up ground balls.

Offensive diversity is key to Duke's success.

(1) Duke is 9-1 in games in which both Walsh and Wolf score at least one goal; conversely, they are 2-2 in games in which both are shut out, and the two wins are meaningless because they were Mercer and Presbyterian in which the starters hardly played.

(2) Similarly, Duke is 10-2 in games where the first two midfield units contribute five or more goals, and 4-3 in games where they are held under five.

Defensive discipline is also going to be key. We can't have any repeats of the Keystone Kops routine between Tripucka and Hipps that led to Notre Dame's first goal. Hipps and Duprey have to stay on the field and not take silly penalties. Costabile has to be fundamentally sound. If I were Gabrielli, I would be thinking carefully about not sliding off Catalino when he is on the wing; he is Maryland's biggest catch-and-shoot threat. Bottom line: we can't be in a position where we need a big game from Wigrizer, because there is no assurance that we'll get it.

Agree with pretty much everything here. Over the years, I feel like Catalino has always burned us from his favorite spot, where he has very often been inexplicably wide open. (I seem to recall we had a similar problem with Yeatman sometimes also.) As for Wigrizer, you are right--but it would make a tremendous difference if he did have another big game. The Maryland seniors have a lot at stake, and they have been riding on a wave of emotion. If Duke can give them trouble early, with a combination of effective defense and good goalkeeping, they may start to get anxious. I think a similar situation helped us against Notre Dame, when the seniors were contained early and began to force some bad shots.

burnspbesq
05-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Mackler is keeping Duke in the game, but turnovers (11) are killing us.

Maryland seems to be content to play at Duke's preferred pace, but we need more possessions. Officials aren't giving Duke any opportunity to scrap for draw controls or play physical defense; if we look cross-eyed at a turtle, the whistle blows. Three of the turtles' goals have come on free-position opportunities, and Duke's only had one FP all night.

burnspbesq
05-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Score doesn't accurately reflect the extent of Maryland's dominance. Duke got three unanswered in the last seven minutes.

It was over four minutes into the second half. Turtles came out on fire, grabbed every draw and ground ball, and Mackler ran out of miracles. Every phase of Duke's game broke down.

A bad end to what was a good season for Duke. Back to the final four after two straight misses. Lot of talent coming back, and a bunch of HS A-As coming in.

Go Wildcats!

-jk
05-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Alas, the women fall, 14-8.

Go men!

-jk

chrishoke
05-28-2011, 09:39 AM
So is CJ going to be able to take faceoffs today - we really missed him at the X last week?

MCFinARL
05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
So is CJ going to be able to take faceoffs today - we really missed him at the X last week?

I don't know, but the injury report on Insidelacrosse.com said his hand injury was "not an issue"--so hopefully that is a good sign.

Indoor66
05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
The Duke v MD is on ESPN2 at 6:00 EDT. VA v Denver is on now.

chrishoke
05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't know, but the injury report on Insidelacrosse.com said his hand injury was "not an issue"--so hopefully that is a good sign.

Thanks!

Virginia is absolutely killing Denver 13-3.

burnspbesq
05-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Tripucka not dressed. Lawson ruining with the first midfield.

DeLuca took the first two face-offs.

chrishoke
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
2-1 Terps after 1. Terp defense has been very agressive and good.

chrishoke
05-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Terps are kicking our butts and we are just sitting there and taking it! Damn. Come on Devils., show some passion.

chrishoke
05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
5-2 Terps at half. Maryland clearly the better team so far.
CJ has not been at the X.

TonyWR
05-28-2011, 08:23 PM
The turtle punks play the same style lacrosse as they do in basketball.....classless thugs

All I have seen so far is nothing less than cheap and dirty plays the entire game, typical.

5-2 Terps at half. Maryland clearly the better team so far.
CJ has not been at the X.

Acymetric
05-28-2011, 08:24 PM
The turtle punks play the same style lacrosse as they do in basketball.....classless thugs

All I have seen so far is nothing less than cheap and dirty plays the entire game, typical.

Would like to see our defensemen hit back...contact is legal right?

burnspbesq
05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, at least two of the hits on our guys should have been non-releasable one-minute penalties. But the way Maryland played defense today, there is no reason to believe we would have gotten anything out of any additional EMO situations. Maryland put on a defensive clinic today. It really is that simple.

At the beginning of the season, if you had told me we would play on Memorial Day weekend, I would have said "Cool - two weekends of bonus lacrosse." After the Penn game, if you had told me we would play on Memorial Day weekend, I would have called for a drug test. We were absurdly young this year. This was a genius coaching job by the staff.

Of the guys who played regularly this year, we lose two starters (Howell and Montelli) and a handful of role players. We get Manley back from injury, and there is another mob of talented freshmen coming in. We should be ranked in the top four pre-season.

The future of Duke lacrosse is ridiculously bright. Can we start next season tomorrow?

burnspbesq
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Heard the announcers say that this is the first time in the history of the NCAA tournament that none of the top four seeds made it to the last weekend.

Parity is here, boys and girls. Get used to it.

MCFinARL
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Why did Tripucka not play? (I was in the stadium so didn't hear the TV coverage.) I think he might have made a difference today, as he is a fairly physical player (probably not enough of a difference, though). The Duke players seemed increasingly intimidated as the game went on. And the reffing was bizarre--some monster hits from behind not called and some other things called very quickly. It wasn't always in Maryland's favor (there was, for example, an extended hold by Costabile that wasn't called--though that may have been a makeup for a phantom hold called against Duke earlier) though the general "let them play" approach of the refs probably did favor Maryland over all.

I agree Duke has a very bright future, and I went in today with no firm expectations, just happy Duke was still playing. But still, I was a little disappointed with the results. It was frustrating to see a lot of great opportunities lost to turnovers and some to just straight up bad luck. The typically classless Maryland fans didn't help much--with the entire stadium erupting in boos whenever the Duke team came onto the field or left and choruses of "sucks" after each Duke starter was introduced. It would have been nice to quiet them a little more often than we did.

burnspbesq
05-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Tripucka was said to have a groin injury.

Devilsfan
05-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Congrats on getting to the final four. Not many get the opportunity to be the best at their sport in NCAA athletics.

jkidd31
05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Well I have had 24 hours to digest the game. Quick goal and I thought great. However Maryland brought it after that. I totally disagree with the comment that Maryland's hit were "punk". I thought one of them may have been high, but after the replay it looked clean. The ref's were letting them play so you have to adjust to it. Duke didn't.

I'm actually pulling for Maryland tomorrow. I'm not a big Starsia fan, and I like Tillman. I also think it's great how the team has rallied around Ryan Young.

MCFinARL
05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Well I have had 24 hours to digest the game. Quick goal and I thought great. However Maryland brought it after that. I totally disagree with the comment that Maryland's hit were "punk". I thought one of them may have been high, but after the replay it looked clean. The ref's were letting them play so you have to adjust to it. Duke didn't.

I'm actually pulling for Maryland tomorrow. I'm not a big Starsia fan, and I like Tillman. I also think it's great how the team has rallied around Ryan Young.

I agree that Maryland adjusted better to the way the game was called--and perhaps a loosely called game suited them better than it did Duke, as I noted above. That was some of the hardest checking I have seen in years, and while Duke can check, I don't think they were ready to be quite that physical, as David Lawson noted in his post-game interview: "they kind of beat us up and there wasn't much we could do about it."

It is great how the team has rallied around Ryan Young--and if I am not mistaken the Duke team was also wearing something to commemorate Mrs. Young to support Kevin, something it's easy to overlook because, since Kevin has not been as big a star as Ryan, the media didn't report much about it until yesterday. And, really, I don't have anything against the Maryland team, or Tillman, who seems earnest and solid. But the Maryland fans in Baltimore really were so annoying that I may cheer for Virginia tomorrow. It's hard for me to separate the team from the fans even though I recognize I should be able to.

DevilWearsPrada
05-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Our boys are a young team. And will be strong next season. Congratulations for making it back to the Final 4. I was going to the Championship game today, if we won Sat Evening. How amazing, that the Final 4 had 3 ACC teams! ACC rules in Men's Lacrosse!

Between UVa and Maryland? At least Unc, is not in the Title Game. And an ACC team will take home the National trophy! Congratulations to Duke, UVa, and Maryland for a great season, and being in the Final Four! Just amazing!

chrishoke
05-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Maryland doing it again on D shutting Vir. out 1-0 after one quarter.

Devilsfan
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Are we the third best team in our conference or the fourth best team in the country?

devildeac
05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Are we the third best team in our conference or the fourth best team in the country?

Yes;).

TheTrain
05-31-2011, 12:48 AM

Agreed 1000%...the hits were clean.....I have grown up around the sport and that was as physical a beatdown as I have seen. Men against boys out there. The better team won.

ricks68
05-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Just thought ya'll would like to know that Virginia beat Maryland for the title. Good for them! Congrats.

ricks

MCFinARL
05-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Just thought ya'll would like to know that Virginia beat Maryland for the title. Good for them! Congrats.

ricks

Yes, it was a hard-earned championship for the Wahoos, given their drama-filled season and the difficulties of the last couple of years, and an interesting game. Early on it looked like Maryland might control UVA as they had Duke--although without anywhere near as many hard hits, for whatever reason (maybe UVA players were faster and got away from them?). In the second quarter, though, Virginia took control and raced to a three-goal halftime lead.

In the second half Maryland charged back and tied the game at 6-6, bringing the mostly pro-Maryland crowd back to life in the punishing heat. But that was their last gasp, as Virginia controlled the next three faceoffs and scored on all three possessions.

In an interesting twist, Colin Briggs, who had been suspended for undisclosed "team matters" on Saturday (taking the team drama right into championship weekend), used his fresh legs to score 5 of the Cavs' 9 goals.

DevilWearsPrada
05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Congrats to the UVa lacrosse team! Both UVa and Maryland played their hearts out!

Proud of Duke, Maryland and Virginia teams for making the Final 4. That is so awesome. Of course, I wanted Duke to win Back to Back National Championships, but that did not come into fruition this year. But they have a great season.

Good to see the ACC so represented in Lacrosse. Job well done!

It will be Football Season 2011, before we know it!

uh_no
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
If its any consolation, the Duke Programming team beat both Virginia and Maryland at the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest this past weekend down in Orlando :P

MCFinARL
05-31-2011, 10:43 PM
If its any consolation, the Duke Programming team beat both Virginia and Maryland at the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest this past weekend down in Orlando :P

Excellent! In a sensible (but perhaps less fun) world, that would be a much more highly praised achievement than a lacrosse championship.....