PDA

View Full Version : Sean Miller Stays At Arizona

loldevilz
05-07-2011, 12:27 PM
According to ESPN 980 Sean Miller will be the new Maryland head basketball coach.
http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNRadio980

Welcome to the ACC, Mr. Miller.

FireOgilvie
05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow, this is surprising to me. It's also a huge slap in the face to NC State; he was an assistant there for 5 years. In my opinion, this is a lateral move, if not a step down for him. I guess his wife just couldn't handle the desert.

BD80
05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
According to ESPN 980 Sean Miller will be the new Maryland head basketball coach.

How many recruits follow?

taiw93
05-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Great get for Maryland, though I still do not understand it from Miller's end, since I consider Arizona to be a higher profile job. I'm sure Arizona fans are pretty angry, and UMD fans are, rightfully, thrilled. The future of the ACC just got a whole lot brighter.

Azdukefan
05-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Great get for Maryland, though I still do not understand it from Miller's end, since I consider Arizona to be a higher profile job. I'm sure Arizona fans are pretty angry, and UMD fans are, rightfully, thrilled. The future of the ACC just got a whole lot brighter.

Living an hour away from UA (with everyone in the area being UA fans/grads), I can tell you that UA fans are livid (and rightfully). I'm just hoping this doesn't hurt our stronghold on the DMV.

riverside6
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports says MD hasn't even met with Miller yet and that the report isn't true.

That said @DemathaHoops said its all done but Miller has to talk to his players before anything will be officially announced.

A lot of rumors around this one, but its clear the attention is all on Miller and it appears it is likely to happen.

4decadedukie
05-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Obviously, a new head coach may have the opportunity to reassess priorities and to make changes, after his revered predecessor retires. Ideally, the institution and the program should benefit, since the best of the old is retained, while things that require enhancement are addressed.

In this light, let's briefly speculate re a Miller - Maryland approach to basketball academics, to the importance of the long-proven student-athlete concept, and to a fundamental acknowledgement that scholastically-focused improvements for players would benefit the University of Maryland. I read a few weeks ago that Arizona was dead last in the NCAA's graduation success evaluation and that its men's basketball team was the worst in the PAC-10/12, in addition to being the second worst among all Division I universities. While UMd Basketball's academic emphasis has clearly left much to be desired, this suggests that very little change in scholastic emphasis is likely under presumptive Coach Miller. To continue to speculate, this might also imply that any increased academic influence on recruiting would probably be unlikely.

devildeac
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Obviously, a new head coach may have the opportunity to reassess priorities and to make changes, after his revered predecessor retires. Ideally, the institution and the program should benefit, since the best of the old is retained, while things that require enhancement are addressed.

In this light, let's briefly speculate re a Miller - Maryland approach to basketball academics, to the importance of the long-proven student-athlete concept, and to a fundamental acknowledgement that scholastically-focused improvements for players would benefit the University of Maryland. I read a few weeks ago that Arizona was dead last in the NCAA's graduation success evaluation and that its men's basketball team was the worst in the PAC-10/12, in addition to being the second worst among all Division I universities. While UMd Basketball's academic emphasis has clearly left much to be desired, this suggests that very little change in scholastic emphasis is likely under presumptive Coach Miller. To continue to speculate, this might also imply that any increased academic influence on recruiting would probably be unlikely.

One of my favorite signs from CIS over the last several years when we played Murlin:

"Fear the Classroom"

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

SMO
05-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Looks like we might not have to wait until the next time we play Arizona to get a measure of revenge. I welcome the opportunity to pummel Miller twice annually for years to come!

Talk of vengeance aside, this is a good hire for the ACC. Gary was a real good coach so the league needs a solid successor.

Duvall
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM

In this light, let's briefly speculate re a Miller - Maryland approach to basketball academics, to the importance of the long-proven student-athlete concept, and to a fundamental acknowledgement that scholastically-focused improvements for players would benefit the University of Maryland. I read a few weeks ago that Arizona was dead last in the NCAA's graduation success evaluation and that its men's basketball team was the worst in the PAC-10/12, in addition to being the second worst among all Division I universities. While UMd Basketball'ys academic emphasis has clearly left much to be desired, this suggests that very little change in scholastic emphasis is likely under presumptive Coach Miller. To continue to speculate, this might also imply that any increased academic influence on recruiting would probably be unlikely.

Miller has only been at Arizona for two years, so those statistics would capture little about his priorities. You would do better to look at the recent numbers for Xavier.

Mike Corey
05-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Terrific hire for Maryland. Here's hoping Miller can turn the fan culture around as well.

I'd love for Maryland to be strong year in and year out, just as long as they keep losing to us on the recruiting trail and on the court.

No sympathy for Arizona from me. Duke curse strikes again.

4decadedukie
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
One of my favorite signs from CIS over the last several years when we played Murlin:

"Fear the Classroom"

I also really enjoyed its companion, "A Mind is a Terrapin thing to Waste."

4decadedukie
05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Miller has only been at Arizona for two years, so those statistics would capture little about his priorities. You would do better to look at the recent numbers for Xavier.

I basically agree, although IMHO large, public and not-very-selective Maryland and Arizona cannot really be legitimately compared to a small, private, Jesuit University, such as Xavier

devildeac
05-07-2011, 08:28 PM

"Fear the Classroom"

I also really enjoyed its companion, "A Mind is a Terrapin thing to Waste."

Not sure which one I like better. Like we were discussing the "flesh wound" over on the OTB when the Black Knight said in the Holy Grail, "we'll call it a draw.";)

Devilsfan
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
One thing is for sure he can recruit athletes and coach them well enough to beat a top ACC team with two AAs in their starting line-up.

roywhite
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
One thing is for sure he can recruit athletes and coach them well enough to beat a top ACC team with two AAs in their starting line-up.

And lose the next game?

Is that the mark of a great coach, to get up for one game?

duke09hms
05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
And lose the next game?

Is that the mark of a great coach, to get up for one game?

I'd say it takes a pretty damn good coach to take down a #1 seed to make the Elite Eight. Something we couldnt do ourselves.

roywhite
05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd say it takes a pretty damn good coach to take down a #1 seed to make the Elite Eight. Something we couldnt do ourselves.

We couldn't beat a #1 seed? hmmm....wonder why that was?

I understand Sean Miller is a good coach.

I don't see any particular reason to celebrate the Arizona victory over Duke. Apparently, you and devilsfan do.

Let me know when Miller makes a few Final Fours.

Duvall
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM

I agree - we know that Miller is *at least* as good a coach as John Brady or Mike Davis.

moonpie23
05-07-2011, 11:19 PM
wow.....didn't even meet with state, and it looks good for MD...

man, the wolfies are gonna be pissed......plus....NOW Think about the grudge match that debbie has set up...

Acymetric
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
wow.....didn't even meet with state, and it looks good for MD...

man, the wolfies are gonna be pissed......plus....NOW Think about the grudge match that debbie has set up...

First game against Maryland will be brutal. One of three packed crowds that season I would imagine, with the other two of course being Duke and unc.

Being on the East Coast is almost inherently higher profile than being out west, and being the ACC is definitely higher profile for basketball overall. I think its a good move by Miller.

uh_no
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I understand Sean Miller is a good coach.

I don't see any particular reason to celebrate the Arizona victory over Duke. Apparently, you and devilsfan do.

Let me know when Miller makes a few Final Fours.

I don't think anyone is 'celebrating' the AZ win. People are merely giving much deserved praise to Sean Miller for orchestrating a win over a great Duke team. If you down play the coaching job on his part, then you necessarily suggest that Duke must be an easy team to beat. We all know that is NOT the case. Duke had a phenomenal team, and so long as we accept it as such, we must also accept that it took a monumental effort on the part of Coach Miller and his players.

You have two choices here, either Duke is an easy team to beat, or Arizona did a hell of a job to beat us. I think most of us choose the latter, and thus praise their team.

blazindw
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Sean Miller will STAY at Arizona...he signed a new extension with the Wildcats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6504485

BD80
05-08-2011, 01:25 AM

Nicely played Sean. Somewhere, Ms Yow is breathing a sigh of relief, and possibly smiling a bit.

Az boosters are just feeling played.

darjum
05-08-2011, 06:24 AM
It appeared as though Miller was just getting Arizona back on track, he made the right move not to leave now. He would have been good for Maryland, but Arizona is a fine position.

4decadedukie
05-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Nicely played Sean. Somewhere, Ms Yow is breathing a sigh of relief, and possibly smiling a bit.

Az boosters are just feeling played.

Even better, all the Terps -- and especially the legion of obnoxious ones in the DC metro area -- will again feel disrespected . . . Duke gets all the calls, Arizona bought-back "our coach," and so forth.
:D

devildeac
05-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Terrific hire for Maryland. Here's hoping Miller can turn the fan culture around as well.

I'd love for Maryland to be strong year in and year out, just as long as they keep losing to us on the recruiting trail and on the court.

No sympathy for Arizona from me. Duke curse strikes again.

So much for the Duke curse, Mike:rolleyes:;). Dang, and it was such a perfect set-up/scenario, too.

Sure would have been nice to add that to our list of woes we inflict upon those who have sent us out of the NCAAT in the past couple decades or so.

mcdukie
05-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm telling you this is a good thing. Miller getting the job really scared me. Maryland is a sleeping giant in terms of recruiting potential and I think Miller could have gotten more than his share.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Miller will soon be recognized as one of the top coaches in college hoops. He will restore AZ as a power program. His 2011 recruiting class is rated top five. He'll win many PAC 12 championships and be an NCAA tourney contender annually. He and his family are supposedly very happy in Tucson. He used MD's interest as a way to secure/improve his situation at AZ.

capitolhill
05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Way to call out obnoxious DC metro Terp fans with an obnoxious comment.

Even better, all the Terps -- and especially the legion of obnoxious ones in the DC metro area -- will again feel disrespected . . . Duke gets all the calls, Arizona bought-back "our coach," and so forth.
:D

BD80
05-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Miller ... used MD's interest as a way to secure/improve his situation at AZ.

So refusing to even consider NCState was actually a sign of respect?

OldPhiKap
05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
So refusing to even consider NCState was actually a sign of respect?

No, of judgment.

Slackerb
05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
All indications were that Miller did "consider" State...

Where are you getting that from?