PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Head Coach - Mark Turgeon

Verga3
05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok, let's speculate, as our fearless leader states below.....good list!

"These are from different sites and sources and none have any credibility yet. But they have been brought up, so let the speculation roll!"

•Mike Brey, Notre Dame
•Sean Miller, Arizona
•Jay Wright, Villanova
•Rick Barnes, Texas
•Keith Booth, Maryland assistant
•Bino Ranson, Maryland assistant
•Mike Lonergan, Vermont
•Jeff Jones, American
•Jimmy Patsos, Loyola
•Shaka Smart, VCU

Don't know immediately who I would add to this list. Smart and Brey stand out for me.

A name that won't get a mention due to no head coaching experience, but a class act Maryland grad, ACC Legend, DeMatha product, and would be phenomenal with the prospective recruits and families would be ESPN Analyst, Adrian Branch.

Who else might be the right guy at the right time for the Terps?

davekay1971
05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Interesting the similarities between the proposed UMd list and the speculations about the NCSU candidates. If this is an accurate list of the names Maryland is considering, either Maryland is going to experience some of the same disappointment the NC State fans had as the big names on the list turn them down, or the NC State fans are going to get a slap in the face if Maryland manages to bag a guy like Miller, Jay Wright, Mike Brey, or Smart.

uh_no
05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Interesting the similarities between the proposed UMd list and the speculations about the NCSU candidates. If this is an accurate list of the names Maryland is considering, either Maryland is going to experience some of the same disappointment the NC State fans had as the big names on the list turn them down, or the NC State fans are going to get a slap in the face if Maryland manages to bag a guy like Miller, Jay Wright, Mike Brey, or Smart.

I think, though, maryland is MUCH more valuable of a position than NCST. For one, you're not competing so close to Duke/UNC...you have a group of fans that are as born and bred as kentucky fans are. The school has had success MUCH more recently than NCST has, AND you don't have to deal with Debbie Yow. There are a lot of coaches who would die for fans as passionate (though not necessarily as vulgar) as UMD fans.

Duvall
05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I think, though, maryland is MUCH more valuable of a position than NCST. For one, you're not competing so close to Duke/UNC...you have a group of fans that are as born and bred as kentucky fans are.

Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park? This isn't even remotely true. The students are beyond fickle, and the area isn't even a little interested in college sports. The most popular sport in the DC area is Redskins football. The second-most popular sport in the DC area is complaining about Redskins football. The third-most popular sport in the DC area is blind Redskins homerism, and the fourth-most popular sport in the area is complaining about the fact that the region is obsessed with the Redskins.

Maryland fans get excited about playing Duke and burning things. The other thirty-odd games on the Maryland schedule don't hold nearly as much interest for them.

uh_no
05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park?

I'll admit, I have not. Closest I get is driving through on 495. Most of my experience comes from having several friends at the school. It's quite likely, though, that I may get a biased opinion (much like one would get assuming every duke fan was as dedicated as the members of this board, or every UNC fan as whatever as the fans on IC). Thanks for letting me know about the culture.

PumpkinFunk
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park? This isn't even remotely true. The students are beyond fickle, and the area isn't even a little interested in college sports. The most popular sport in the DC area is Redskins football. The second-most popular sport in the DC area is complaining about Redskins football. The third-most popular sport in the DC area is blind Redskins homerism, and the fourth-most popular sport in the area is complaining about the fact that the region is obsessed with the Redskins.

Maryland fans get excited about playing Duke and burning things. The other thirty-odd games on the Maryland schedule don't hold nearly as much interest for them.

As a DC native, I can attest to #1 and #2 on that list, but #3 is the Capitals, and #4... complaining about how much every DC sports team sucks.

Maryland is a more attractive job than State for a lot of reasons. For one, it's right in a recruitment hotbed that Gary didn't tap into. For another, big alumni base who is focused on the sport. They have the Under Armour deal which is a nice perk. And most importantly, they have a rabid fanbase who is less fairweather than you make them out to be. Their students can be fickle at times, and all they want to do is riot and cheer "**** Duke", but the alumni are not fickle, and there are a lot of Maryland fans in the area, fairweather or not. Maryland is, in so many ways, a far superior program to State to take over. Someone on Twitter said top 10, and that's not too farfetched, honestly. I mean, the players don't even have to worry about trying to graduate when they play there.

sagegrouse
05-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Best programs in college basketball -- i.e., better than Maryland:

Big Ten
Indiana (for now)
Mich State
Ohio State (altho' Gary left OSU to come to UMd)
Michigan
Purdue -- well, maybe

Big 12
Kansas
Texas

Big East
UConn
Syracuse
St. John's (history)
Louisville

PAC-10
UCLA
Arizona

Southeastern
Kentucky
Florida

ACC
Duke
UNC

Let's see... Sagegrouse has listed 17 programs more attractive than Maryland as a head coaching position.

I guess there are another set approximately equal, including Georgetown (as a 40-year resident of DC area -- definitely not superior), Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee (on potential), Mizzou, Pitt, Notre Dame and Nova. So, waiting for others to correct omissions and elisions, I get Maryland as a borderline Top 15 program and definitely one for the Top 25.

It's the number three job in the ACC with GT and Virginia, both experiencing a down decade, potentially the equal. Wake gets good points but gets penalized for being in W-S below other No Carolina programs. Maryland gets a huge number of points for being the most prominent college athletic program in the 8-million Washington-Baltimore region, but these points would be x5 if both football and basketball were recongized national programs.

Yeah, I know about the Redskins, having been a fan since Eddie Lebaron played QB here. But the DC area is not as one-sided a pro sports town as NY, Boston or Philly. Much, much more interest in this area about UMd than in Boston about the BC Eagles.

sagegrouse
'I owe you guys a report on this year's lek activity, which resulted in my being on the injured reserve for most of mating season. Next time....'

UrinalCake
05-05-2011, 10:17 PM
How about Matt Kovarik? A popular player in the glory years of the early 2000's, he's now an assistant to Patsos. Would be quite a gamble considering how unproven he is, but fans might be willing to cut him some slack for the first couple years.

uh_no
05-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Much, much more interest in this area about UMd than in Boston about the BC Eagles.

minipoint: not a great comparison since BC is not a state school, and nowhere near as large as MD (and not, in fact, in boston....also not a college interestingly enough)...maryland is twice as big and the state university, and also not highly religiously affiliated (BC is not only catholic, but a jesuit institution), Boston University falls short also as its not really in a power conference

a much better comparison would be rutgers (given its the jersey school....but the jets and giants are jersey teams too...shrug), which is a similarly sized state institution in the near vicinity to a major metropolitan area....people in new york really couldn't care less about rutgers basketball.....

Reilly
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Let's see... Sagegrouse has listed 17 programs more attractive than Maryland as a head coaching position.....'

But, but, but ... sage .... I heard the editor of the Terrapin Times on the radio this evening and he said Maryland is one of the top 8 to 10 jobs in the land and he also said that Sean Miller, Jaime Dixon, and somebody else (maybe Brey) would be be very interested in the job, and then maybe they'd look down a level to the Jay Wrights of the world, and I'm pretty sure he also said that if Sean Miller were offered the job, Sean would be on the next plane east tonight to accept (even though he also said Sean has a chance to win a national championship next year in Ariz). I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I kept thinking maybe I mis-heard or something it was so much seeming bluster. Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.

Reilly
05-05-2011, 10:54 PM
How about Matt Kovarik? A popular player in the glory years of the early 2000's, he's now an assistant to Patsos. Would be quite a gamble considering how unproven he is, but fans might be willing to cut him some slack for the first couple years.

They could go for Greg Manning's son, who is also a Patsos assistant (and about 23 I think). Manning is/was my favorite Maryland player ever. Manning was also the AD at Ga State who hired Lefty, I believe, so talk about a full circle ....

weezie
05-05-2011, 10:56 PM
...Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.

Oh well then, if the editor of the Terrapin Times says so...

Any thought given to Anthony Grant returning north?

mkirsh
05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Lonergan (a very good coach) to GW, so cross him off the list. Good hire for GW
http://www.csnwashington.com/05/05/11/GW-to-hire-Lonergan-as-coach/landing.html?blockID=517699&feedID=9656

I doubt any of the big names on the list make a lateral move to UMd with the exception of Brey - he has strong local ties and I would imagine he would give it pretty serious consideration if offered. Not sure if Maryland could offer someone who worked at Duke though. (however in the realm of insane sports radio, I heard someone mention Amaker for the Terps job on my way home tonight, would think that to be very unlikely)

uh_no
05-06-2011, 12:31 AM
But, but, but ... sage .... I heard the editor of the Terrapin Times on the radio this evening and he said Maryland is one of the top 8 to 10 jobs in the land and he also said that Sean Miller, Jaime Dixon, and somebody else (maybe Brey) would be be very interested in the job, and then maybe they'd look down a level to the Jay Wrights of the world, and I'm pretty sure he also said that if Sean Miller were offered the job, Sean would be on the next plane east tonight to accept (even though he also said Sean has a chance to win a national championship next year in Ariz). I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I kept thinking maybe I mis-heard or something it was so much seeming bluster. Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.

Unfortunately, I think that the chances of miller, dixon, or brey leaving their respective schools for maryland are exactly 0%. While I think the consensus is that this job is at least a notch above the NCST job, but to think that it's highly desirable like Duke or UNC would be is silly. The aforementioned coaches all have great things going at their respective schools, I can't picture any of them leaving for maryland (can you believe debbie yow flattered herself to think they would leave for ncst?????)

loldevilz
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
After Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and UCLA, I think Maryland has everything to be as good as every other school.

The best part of the job is obviously the ridiculously good recruiting base that ironic Gary Williams didn't use. If they did they would be a lot better.

To me there are 2 guys they should go after:
1. Sean Miller- he obviously is a good recruiter and coach. I really like his competitive edge. It kind of reminds me of Williams. Arizona and Maryland I think are comparable jobs, it would be a question of preference.(and there is speculation that he doesn't like living in Arizona(which I completely understand being from california haha))
2. Jamie Dixon- Maryland in my opinion is a much much better job than Pitt. I just can't see anyone ever winning a championship there. Dixon is a great coach who would probably thrive in Maryland.

Also how many teams play in one of the top 5 rivalry games every year. Wilbon went so far as to call it the best,( though it obviously isn't Duke-UNC.)

burnspbesq
05-06-2011, 07:55 AM
No coach with strong ties to Nike will be seriously considered. Maryland athletics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Under Armour.

budwom
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Lonergan (a very good coach) to GW, so cross him off the list. Good hire for GW
http://www.csnwashington.com/05/05/11/GW-to-hire-Lonergan-as-coach/landing.html?blockID=517699&feedID=9656

I doubt any of the big names on the list make a lateral move to UMd with the exception of Brey - he has strong local ties and I would imagine he would give it pretty serious consideration if offered. Not sure if Maryland could offer someone who worked at Duke though. (however in the realm of insane sports radio, I heard someone mention Amaker for the Terps job on my way home tonight, would think that to be very unlikely)

Indeed, Lonergan is a fantastic coach, but it looks like he's off to GW. He's a former Sweaty assistant at Merlin, and would be a really inspired choice. And he's pretty young (45)....Personally I think he's the best of the bunch mentioned, but he doesn't have a lot of snob appeal (nor did Army's coach some 30 years ago).

davekay1971
05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Maryland's DC location would have been a better advantage 2-3 decades ago, but recruiting became a national game over the last 20 years. Kids move to play at basketball factories, play on nationally competing AAU teams, go from region to region for basketball camps and tournaments, and the coaches of most any BCS program have the resources and desire to go all across the nation to get talent. Top talent kids from DC simply aren't particularly inclined to stay in DC when Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and the like come calling. Frankly, I can't see how Maryland is in the top tier of desirable coaching positions. Granted, it's in one of the best conferences and the athletic department has resources and the desire to support the program. But it's strictly a middle tier program in the ACC (albeit with brief runs of top tier success), and it's simply not a national name brand. Maryland is Purdue, without as much recent success. If the Maryland fanbase, blog sites, etc, are thinking that a guy like Sean Miller is coming, and that Jay Wright will be there as a safety, my bet is they're going to be disappointed.

hudlow
05-06-2011, 09:33 AM
If Maryland hired Mike Brey - would they riot after every game?

Slackerb
05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
As a DC native, I can attest to #1 and #2 on that list, but #3 is the Capitals, and #4... complaining about how much every DC sports team sucks.

Maryland is a more attractive job than State for a lot of reasons. For one, it's right in a recruitment hotbed that Gary didn't tap into.

This is always overstated. Recruitment these days is national, and while it helps slightly if you have a recruit that is in your hometown, it's not a huge advantage over the other schools you would recruit against like UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.

For another, big alumni base who is focused on the sport.

UMD doesn't have any advantage here...NC State is approximately the same size and both have the largest alumni base in their respective states.

And most importantly, they have a rabid fanbase who is less fairweather than you make them out to be. Their students can be fickle at times, and all they want to do is riot and cheer "**** Duke", but the alumni are not fickle, and there are a lot of Maryland fans in the area, fairweather or not.

You could definitely take out Maryland in this entire paragraph and replace NC State. Both school have rabid fanbases.

I'd say UMD has a slight edge based on it's more recent success, but even that is starting to lose it's effect. Not that much of a difference in job prestige if you ask me.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I think it is easier to recruit city kids to DC than to Raleigh. What did Da Jules say -- that the biggest thing going on was hoping you didn't get bit by a deer (or something like that)?

I love Raleigh. But to a 17 year old kid from NYC or Chicago, DC tends to have more appeal than Raleigh.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that the MD coaching job is as high as some claim either. The ACC is, and will for better or worse remain, a North Carolina-centered conference. As Lefty said, the first thing he'd do with the ACC trophy is bolt it onto the hood of his car and ride around North Carolina.

I think the GT job is better than MD, frankly.

mkirsh
05-06-2011, 10:27 AM
This is always overstated. Recruitment these days is national, and while it helps slightly if you have a recruit that is in your hometown, it's not a huge advantage over the other schools you would recruit against like UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.

I don't think that anyone is saying Maryland would automatically get top 10 recruits from the area like Durant, Beasley, Ty Lawson, Nolan, Quinn, etc, but they should be competitive with Georgetown (Green, Hibbert, Freeman, Wright all from PG county), or be in the mix for players like Sam Young, Rudy Gay, etc. I heard Wright and Freeman on the radio the other morning and they were asked why they didn't consider Maryland, and they said they grew up Terps fans but Gary only saw them play maybe once and they didn't feel the love. Imagine Freeman on last year's team, they would have been a FF contender. So if you can get just one of the elite guys every few years to stay home and get a few of the top 20-100 recruits you have much more talent to work with than Gary had recently, or that is avaible to a place like NC State. I think that is the main reason it is viewed as a step above NC State when other things are so similar (tradition, fan base, facilities, etc).

Jderf
05-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Recruiters think nationally, yes. But kids don't. At least not necessarily. A lot of top tier players don't want to completely uproot their lives right after high school and would rather stay close to home. That's another wedge that a recruiter has in the toolbox, and it does make for an advantage.

If anything, the one area where Maryland's new coach would have the biggest opportunity to edge Gary, right from the start, would be recruiting. There is just so much talent in the area, and it is scary to think what Gary could have done had he ever tapped into it. It's a shame, really. People can talk all they want about how great Gary was at finding diamonds in the rough -- but doesn't that just mean he spent all his time mucking around in the rough, when there were plenty of diamonds lying around?

JasonEvans
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
There are several reports (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-could-maryland-gig-sway-brey-from-notre-dame-20110505,0,5771218.story) today that Maryland is already talking to Mike Brey and that he is #1 on their list.

Seeing as Notre Dame lost the BE POY in Hasbro and most of the rest of their team to graduation, Brey is looking at a real rebuilding job there. I would think getting out might make sense at this point.

-Jason "I think Brey would be a good hire-- though he has not been a stud recruiter so far" Evans

OldPhiKap
05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
There are several reports (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-could-maryland-gig-sway-brey-from-notre-dame-20110505,0,5771218.story) today that Maryland is already talking to Mike Brey and that he is #1 on their list.

Seeing as Notre Dame lost the BE POY in Hasbro and most of the rest of their team to graduation, Brey is looking at a real rebuilding job there. I would think getting out might make sense at this point.

-Jason "I think Brey would be a good hire-- though he has not been a stud recruiter so far" Evans

I would hate to see Brey against K, but as a practical matter someone in the family is going to end up in the ACC eventually. You can't coach 30+ years without someone eventually falling back into the conference.

I like Brey, and if that's where it ends up then MD got themselves a good one. And I suspect he won't put up with the "#@#& Duke" stuff.

mkirsh
05-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Wonder how much of that is Notre Dame and how much is Brey? I always read articles about ND football not being as competitive as the glory days because of high academic standards (although much of that may be spin), so I wonder if that applies to hoops as well? Also, ND is not BYU, but they are somewhat strict on their social rules, which may scare some recruits away. Maybe D'oh did a better job there but can't remember. Brey should at least have a line into DeMatha which is right next to College Park and is consistently nationally ranked. I think Travis Garrison is the last White Stag to go to UMd under Gary in 2002.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Yes. ND hasn't really 'progressed' under brey, and you wonder if brey feels he might need the change to get over the hump. What it comes down to is loyalty and money. I don't know anything about his personality or whether he's a calipari or a cutcliffe in this regard. What i do know is that notre dame has a lot of money, and if ND wants to keep brey, they certainly have the means to do so. All it takes is the AD to say, whatever UMD offers you, add 500k, and that's your new salary. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, and obviously he would be a great coach to add to the ACC, and certainly a loss of the horde of very good coaches in the big east.

sagegrouse
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Mike Brey was National Coach of the Year in 2011. Doesn't that answer a lot of questions for both Notre Dame and Maryland?

sagegrouse

JG Nothing
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Mike Brey was National Coach of the Year in 2011. Doesn't that answer a lot of questions for both Notre Dame and Maryland?

sagegrouse

Fred Goldsmith was a national coach of the year not once, but twice! ;)

MChambers
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes. ND hasn't really 'progressed' under brey, and you wonder if brey feels he might need the change to get over the hump. What it comes down to is loyalty and money. I don't know anything about his personality or whether he's a calipari or a cutcliffe in this regard. What i do know is that notre dame has a lot of money, and if ND wants to keep brey, they certainly have the means to do so. All it takes is the AD to say, whatever UMD offers you, add 500k, and that's your new salary. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, and obviously he would be a great coach to add to the ACC, and certainly a loss of the horde of very good coaches in the big east.
Brey's been Notre Dame's coach since 2000, so I think he's shown a lot of loyalty. I suspect that if he leaves for MD, it's because he has roots in the DC area.

He's no Calipari, in any regard, at least as far as I can tell.

Rich
05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I would hate to see Brey against K, but as a practical matter someone in the family is going to end up in the ACC eventually. You can't coach 30+ years without someone eventually falling back into the conference.

I like Brey, and if that's where it ends up then MD got themselves a good one. And I suspect he won't put up with the "#@#& Duke" stuff.

I know that Coach K generally tries to avoid scheduling against former players turned coaches, but I wonder if the sentiment runs as deeply with Brey since he never played for Coach K. I suspect it will have little bearing on the decision in any event. I do find it ironic, though, that with all of their animosity towards Duke, UMD fans will be rooting for a Duke guy (to some extent) to run their program if Brey gets the job.

BD80
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I saw an interesting name mentioned: Tubby Smith!

As to the top 10 programs, one issue that should be considered are facilities. It is being said that Md has top 10 facilities. So do Louisville and Fla and a few others. Some of the programs listed above do not have top facilities, some are barely top 100 in facilities.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I saw an interesting name mentioned: Tubby Smith!

As to the top 10 programs, one issue that should be considered are facilities. It is being said that Md has top 10 facilities. So do Louisville and Fla and a few others. Some of the programs listed above do not have top facilities, some are barely top 100 in facilities.

duke had relatively terrible facilities until the K center was built....(not that cameron is a bad practice facility...but it certainly is not ideal)....so should duke not have been considered a top program until 2 years ago?

EDIT: to be clear, yes I understand our stadium is among the best in the land....but one stadium does not a top facility make

BD80
05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
... As to the top 10 programs, one issue that should be considered are facilities. It is being said that Md has top 10 facilities. ...

duke had relatively terrible facilities until the K center was built....(not that cameron is a bad practice facility...but it certainly is not ideal)....so should duke not have been considered a top program until 2 years ago?

EDIT: to be clear, yes I understand our stadium is among the best in the land....but one stadium does not a top facility make

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear.

-bdbd
05-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I think it is easier to recruit city kids to DC than to Raleigh. What did Da Jules say -- that the biggest thing going on was hoping you didn't get bit by a deer (or something like that)?

I love Raleigh. But to a 17 year old kid from NYC or Chicago, DC tends to have more appeal than Raleigh.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that the MD coaching job is as high as some claim either. The ACC is, and will for better or worse remain, a North Carolina-centered conference. As Lefty said, the first thing he'd do with the ACC trophy is bolt it onto the hood of his car and ride around North Carolina.

I think the GT job is better than MD, frankly.

FWIW, I have a back-door connection to a well-known national media member with connections to U of MD. He said in a text this morning that he spoke last night to a "well-known, 'name' coach" who expressed "very strong interest" in the MD vacancy. Just FWIW... as I don't know who. Cetrtainly could be Brey.

I have to disagree about GT being better. Certainly things CAN change once Tech opens their new stadium, but Comcast - and its 19K seats and strong practice facillities - has been in operation for a decade now. MD has had more long-term and short-term tradition and success. The cities are of comparable size, but the recruiting base/area for MD has many more people (say, within 150-180 miles). Fan support - for all the disdain we have for the Terp fans' behavior - is much more steady and "enthusiastic" at MD than at GT. Maybe the biggest factor would be "what have they done lately?" Where has GT been the last 5 years? At least MD has a few NCAAT's and an ACC regular season championship (and a real championship several years ago too). And only one of them has a National Championship in the last ten years....

No doubt there are many MD fans who, like NCSU fans, think the MD job is much better than it really is. But they DO have tradition. They DO have an enthused fan base and donors. They DO have very good practice and playing facillities. And they have a great recruiting base nearby. I'd certainly put MD in the top-3-4 of the ACC for coaching attractiveness. :confused:

Will be interesting to see who they can get at this late a date. But if it isn't a Brey, or Stevens or Barnes or Tubby type big name, I know a lot of Terps who will be very angry . (They are still stewing over who they "had to" take for a FB coach a few months ago....)
:cool:

loran16
05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Best programs in college basketball -- i.e., better than Maryland:

Big Ten
Indiana (for now)
Mich State
Ohio State (altho' Gary left OSU to come to UMd)
Michigan
Purdue -- well, maybe

Big 12
Kansas
Texas

Big East
UConn
Syracuse
St. John's (history)
Louisville

PAC-10
UCLA
Arizona

Southeastern
Kentucky
Florida

ACC
Duke
UNC

Lets go through these:
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Texas, and KU are undoubtedly better programs in terms of potential.

Now the others:
Louisville - Not really - Yes it's got a brand new stadium, but that's about it and looks like the Junior program to Kentucky in its own state. Thus it doesn't have an edge on local recruiting, and it's not a premium program in its own conference. If you haven't noticed, Pitino is getting his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. kicked in recruiting by Calipari at the moment.

St. John's - No. SJU is like NC State in that their fans and the NY Media had a greater sense of their importance than otherwise. Thus why they had to take a gamble on Steve Lavin. It's a nice job with decent potential, and MSG is nice, but otherwise there's nothing about the school that's particularly nice. Also, not particularly great on-campus facilities, like Maryland.

Syracuse - No. Syracuse is entirely a coach-made program. It's all Boeheim (Though Danforth did take the team to a F4 in the year pre-Boeheim). There's no great recruiting ground (in NYC, it basically fights with St. John's), and it's not a great area to live in for a year. Boeheim makes that program. Also, the Carrier Dome sucks.
----Don't get this wrong, Syracuse is a National Contender year after year. But that's Boeheim, not the program.

UConn- Also, NO. Once again, entirely coach-made...Calhoun IS that program. There's no great recruiting ground, and once Calhoun leaves, what do they have?

Michigan - No. Despite the Fab Five, UMich is a football school first without the facilities or recruiting interest in bball. Their recruits in state are taken by MSU or even OSU.

Florida - No. Entirely recent, with Billy Donovan being the creator, and even then he can't get to the tournament as a contender consistently. Meanwhile, recruits in state don't really seriously consider Florida - take Brandon Knight or Austin Rivers, both of whom should've been surefire Florida guys....and both went elsewhere.

Arizona - Maybe. This is an odd one. I'd say yes it'd be better, though the recruiting ground isn't great. And Sean Miller is doing well there. It does however not get the same press as other top schools - UCLA gets the Nat'l attention, not Arizona.

Indiana/Purdue - Not really. Indiana SHOULD be there, but hasn't for two decades. Purdue has three in-state rivals (IU, ND and now Butler) competing now for talent, as well as OSU and others in the midwest.

------------------------------
So I have ahead or possibly ahead of Maryland:
Duke, UNC, KU, UCLA, UK, Texas, Arizona, MSU, & OSU

That'd be 9. Huh, so Top 10 is possible.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Lets go through these:
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Texas, and KU are undoubtedly better programs in terms of potential.

Now the others:
Louisville - Not really - Yes it's got a brand new stadium, but that's about it and looks like the Junior program to Kentucky in its own state. Thus it doesn't have an edge on local recruiting, and it's not a premium program in its own conference. If you haven't noticed, Pitino is getting his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. kicked in recruiting by Calipari at the moment.

Lets take a look at how many contributors on UK come from kentucky? 1. darius miller. I also recall they were the big east runner ups this year, won both the big east regular season and tournament championships 2 years ago and were a #1 seed...seeing as calipari has kicked everyone's tail in recruiting the past couple of years, I'm not sure its a fair comparison, and the fact that the stars calipari recruits come from anywhere means sharing the state is kind of a moot point

Syracuse - No. Syracuse is entirely a coach-made program. It's all Boeheim (Though Danforth did take the team to a F4 in the year pre-Boeheim). There's no great recruiting ground (in NYC, it basically fights with St. John's), and it's not a great area to live in for a year. Boeheim makes that program. Also, the Carrier Dome sucks.
----Don't get this wrong, Syracuse is a National Contender year after year. But that's Boeheim, not the program. I'm not sure I follow your logic here...syracuse is nowhere near NYC....about as close as duke is to washington DC...they pretty much have the entire western half of the state all to themselves (in terms of recruiting)..they have also shown they can get kids out of the city (whom they have a few on the team)..the carrier dome 'sucking' is largely a matter of opinion...and it seemed okay enough for carmelo anthony....So because syracuse didn't have success (and you're poo pooing a final four here....) pre boeheim, its impossible to build a program? that's silly. By extension you seem to assert that it's impossible to build a program at a school where one is not already established....

UConn- Also, NO. Once again, entirely coach-made...Calhoun IS that program. There's no great recruiting ground, and once Calhoun leaves, what do they have? Kevin Ollie is slated to be the next great coach. They've never had great players from the state of connecticut....but that hasn't seemed to stop them from winning 3 titles in the past 13 years....they also have shown they can recruit out of NY...you might have heard of this kid, Kemba Walker....again...it's silly to think that a program can't be built, all great programs must start somewhere

I left out the schools I sort of agreed with your points on. You fail to point out how maryland ALSO falls to your criticisms

crappy facilities? check
lack of recent success? check
program 'built' by one coach? check (you can't poo-poo syracuse and their final four without pointing out that maryland had exactly 0 final fours pre gary williams...and only 2 now)
lack of overall success? check (1 natty and 2 F4s doesn't cut it when you have other schools that have several of each)
fighting for recruiting ground? there's this pretty good school called georgetown across the way...

I'm not sure how you can rip all these other schools while glossing over maryland who has the exact same faults

OldPhiKap
05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
program 'built' by one coach? check (you can't poo-poo syracuse and their final four without pointing out that maryland had exactly 0 final fours pre gary williams...and only 2 now)

I think that would be very different if there had been a field of 64 back in the day -- but only fans 45 and older would really find that relevant. Lefty had some powerfully good teams that couldn't qualify for the NCAA because only one team per conference went.

Agreed on much of the rest of your post, though.

mkirsh
05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Lets go through these:

Now the others:

St. John's - No. SJU is like NC State in that their fans and the NY Media had a greater sense of their importance than otherwise. Thus why they had to take a gamble on Steve Lavin. It's a nice job with decent potential, and MSG is nice, but otherwise there's nothing about the school that's particularly nice. Also, not particularly great on-campus facilities, like Maryland.

----Don't get this wrong, Syracuse is a National Contender year after year. But that's Boeheim, not the program.

UConn- Also, NO. Once again, entirely coach-made...Calhoun IS that program. There's no great recruiting ground, and once Calhoun leaves, what do they have?

Michigan - No. Despite the Fab Five, UMich is a football school first without the facilities or recruiting interest in bball. Their recruits in state are taken by MSU or even OSU.

Florida - No. Entirely recent, with Billy Donovan being the creator, and even then he can't get to the tournament as a contender consistently. Meanwhile, recruits in state don't really seriously consider Florida - take Brandon Knight or Austin Rivers, both of whom should've been surefire Florida guys....and both went elsewhere.

Arizona - Maybe. This is an odd one. I'd say yes it'd be better, though the recruiting ground isn't great. And Sean Miller is doing well there. It does however not get the same press as other top schools - UCLA gets the Nat'l attention, not Arizona.

Indiana/Purdue - Not really. Indiana SHOULD be there, but hasn't for two decades. Purdue has three in-state rivals (IU, ND and now Butler) competing now for talent, as well as OSU and others in the midwest.

------------------------------
So I have ahead or possibly ahead of Maryland:
Duke, UNC, KU, UCLA, UK, Texas, Arizona, MSU, & OSU

That'd be 9. Huh, so Top 10 is possible.

It's an interesting list. Agree that Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, UCLA are the premier tier. IU should be on the list but I'm not sure it is anymore. After that, you could argue Maryland on par with any of them. Ie, if you were an up and coming mid-major coach and all schools were offering the same $, would you rather follow legends Calhoun, Boeheim, Izzo, or Gary Williams? Each has plusses and minuses, but Maryland belongs in the same conversation as these schools IMO.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
It's an interesting list. Agree that Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, UCLA are the premier tier. IU should be on the list but I'm not sure it is anymore. After that, you could argue Maryland on par with any of them. Ie, if you were an up and coming mid-major coach and all schools were offering the same $, would you rather follow legends Calhoun, Boeheim, Izzo, or Gary Williams? Each has plusses and minuses, but Maryland belongs in the same conversation as these schools IMO.

Agree whole heartedly. there are the blue bloods up top for sure, and then a whole host of schools after them The connecticut, syracuse, maryland, arizona, MSU, OSU, florida type schools.....you can certainly argue that some are higher than others in this tier, but the differences aren't as great as they are between them and the blue bloods. Also, the success ranking does not necessarily coincide with the desirability of the head coaching job. For instance its hard to argue that Uconn hasn't had some of the most success in this tier, but, for instance, but it wouldn't be my first place choice to coach (look at the difficulty uconn has had picking up top recruits despite having 2 final 4s in 3 years...some of this may be due to uncertainty over calhoun's future...but the point is there). I think we will see maryland fill the position quickly. THey can offer too much money, too big of a fanbase, and too much of a good location (regardless of facilities...being in washington brings a lot more to the table than being in many other cities) for some coach at another school, whether its in the aforementioned tier or not, for some coach not to take the bait

Matches
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
The hot Twitter rumor this afternoon is that UMD's top target is Sean Miller.

If that actually happens, the meltdown in Raleigh will be EPIC.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM

I can just imagine the debbie yow reaction "yeah...we're happy with the guy we got stuck with...we don't care that our first choice went to our rival"

tommy
05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes. ND hasn't really 'progressed' under brey, and you wonder if brey feels he might need the change to get over the hump.

Not sure how you can say Notre Dame hasn't "progressed" under Brey. Before he arrived in 2000, the Irish had not been to the tournament since 1990. They made it in each of his first three years, including a Sweet 16 in his third year. He's since led them to the tournament four additional times, meaning in the eleven years he's been their head man, he's taken them to seven NCAA tournaments, as compared to none in the ten years that preceded his arrival. And this past year, they were a very strong #2 seed coming in, with many believing they should've been a #1 seed. That sounds like progress to me.

NovaScotian
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
is there anyone currently on maryland's staff that could potentially take over? if gary is staying on as an assistant AD and could have some say if who is hired, is there any loyal assistant that he likes?

tommy
05-06-2011, 04:09 PM
The Chicago Trib (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-could-maryland-gig-sway-brey-from-notre-dame-20110505,0,5771218.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) has a source that claims Notre Dame is trying to lock him up with an extension and, presumably, a raise.

BD80
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Wonder if this is the interference in her coaching search that Yow spoke of?

uh_no
05-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Not sure how you can say Notre Dame hasn't "progressed" under Brey. Before he arrived in 2000, the Irish had not been to the tournament since 1990. They made it in each of his first three years, including a Sweet 16 in his third year. He's since led them to the tournament four additional times, meaning in the eleven years he's been their head man, he's taken them to seven NCAA tournaments, as compared to none in the ten years that preceded his arrival. And this past year, they were a very strong #2 seed coming in, with many believing they should've been a #1 seed. That sounds like progress to me.

While no doubt there is an improvement over the previous coach, lets take a look at the results

01-2nd round
02-2nd round
03-sweet 16
04-NIT
05-NIT
06-NIT
07-1st round
08-2nd round
09-NIT
10-1st round
11-2nd round

if you see progress there, please let me know...because it looks to me like ND is a perpetual 1st and second round out

As I said, brey was no doubt an improvement....but after the initial jump, there has been little improvement in the program. Brey has plateaued at ND.

uh_no
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
The Chicago Trib (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-could-maryland-gig-sway-brey-from-notre-dame-20110505,0,5771218.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) has a source that claims Notre Dame is trying to lock him up with an extension and, presumably, a raise.

Not sure if Maryland will be able to draw him away if ND is trying to keep him.....too much money there...

loran16
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM

There's conflicting info on this: Some sources have stated the extension thing...then later sources have said there's mutual interest.

I suspect Brey would talk at least to Maryland to compare offers...remember, his cupboard at ND is dry this coming year, so he's at least rebuilding anyhow. At worst he drives up his price.

But Miller somehow seems to be the top target.

taiw93
05-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Is anyone else wondering why Miller would leave 'Zona? He's already at a school with great tradition (better than Maryland's IMO), and he's only been there for two seasons. I know Maryland is a great job, but it is it really good enough to make that move?

uh_no
05-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Is anyone else wondering why Miller would leave 'Zona?

$$$$$$$

weezie
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
No, I don't get it. Miller is being paid some serious cash at AZ, plus kick-ins for the good run in the NCAAs. He's got the #4 freshman class coming in, too.
Attractive arena, loyal (if boring) fan base, king of Tucson status, year round golf, west coast lock on recruiting, good schools, no cows grazing right outside the Comcast narsty-dome in narstier College Park.

I think they go for Dixon, but Anthony Grant would still be a great pick.

billyj
05-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Wait! if Miller is indeed Maryland's top candidate then Debbie Yow's comment during NC state coach search totally makes sense now.

Possible scenario, Yow taps into Miller, but Williams called him and informed that Maryland position will be available and he's consider retiring.

I can definitely see why Yow is angry at Williams.

weezie
05-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah, but just who is Yowie NOT angry at?

uh_no
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but just who is Yowie NOT angry at?

Could you blame him if he DID want the maryland job over the NCST job? Yow is to blame as much as the school itself if that is the truth/

loldevilz
05-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Wait! if Miller is indeed Maryland's top candidate then Debbie Yow's comment during NC state coach search totally makes sense now.

Possible scenario, Yow taps into Miller, but Williams called him and informed that Maryland position will be available and he's consider retiring.

this could be right

Bob Green
05-06-2011, 11:40 PM
....west coast lock on recruiting....

This is an incorrect east coast perception as Arizona has lots of competition when going after west coast recruits.

uh_no
05-07-2011, 12:29 AM
This is an incorrect east coast perception as Arizona has lots of competition when going after west coast recruits.

While this is true, there are also MANY fewer top schools out west vying for recruits.

That said, there are also fewer recruits. It would be interesting to look at the stats of the % of top 100,200, whatever recruits come from east/west, and the number of different schools they go to on each coast. My guess would be there would be more east coast recruits, but there are more east coast schools....so It probably works out to about the same.

sagegrouse
05-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Interesting, Billy J, but do you think this explanation is a bridge too far? Perhaps, when Debbie recruited Yow, Miller called Gary and asked, not just about Debbie, but about his plans for the future. While I think Gary's decision was somewhat impulsive (affected by Jordan Williams's exit), he could easily have hinted, "I am 66 and will not be here for more than another two years."

Of course, thinking about it, Gary could have initiated the call, if he knew that Sean Miller had a long-term interest in the Maryland job. Coaches talk to each other all the time, so he may have known if Miller were interested in Maryland.

You know, Billy J, I am beginning to like your explanation. You're a very persuasive guy. Moreover, both Sean and Gary have a good cover story. It would have been totally natural for Sean to call Gary about Debbie Yow, if (a) he had the remotest degree of interest in the State job or (b) was subtly inquiring about the Maryland job. And it would have been natural for Gary to give Sean a heads-up about a potential opening at Maryland; it would have been crass and boorish to call Sean Miller and dump his concerns about Yow because (a) it would have been crass and boorish and (b) Miller, nor anyone else with a really good job now, would ever take the State job without getting Gary's perspectives on Yow.

Also, even this hypothetical discussion is illustrating why Maryland is a ten-X better job than State (an exaggeration, I admit). Miller at age 42 goes to either place and for 3-4 years does reasonably well, making the tournament every year but not threatening Duke or UNC at the top. Meanwhile, K, age 64, and Old Roy, age 60 1/2 but with clear blood pressure issues, decide to hang it up at the end of those same 3-4 years. Miller, if at Maryland, is suddenly the best-known ACC head coach, sitting in a huge metropolitan area ready to compete with Duke's and UNC's next head coaches. If at State, he is still the third-best program in the state of NC and not looking nearly so formidable against world-class programs.

sagegrouse
'Anyone catch Sean Miller's presser in Anaheim after the Texas win but before the Duke game? Superb and polished, if frankly somewhat imitative of Coach K.'

BD80
05-07-2011, 12:53 PM
No, I don't get it. ... year round golf, ...

Sure. There are plenty of open tee times from May through September and it is easy to shoot lower than the temperature - if you can survive the round. Many bleached bones of snowbirds thinking they could play in June.

loran16
05-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Or NC State just isn't as good a job as Maryland, and thus wasn't something Miller would consider leaving for. This really isn't that hard of a concept, you guys.

Reports are Miller, AND HIS FAMILY, would prefer to be on the East Coast. Thus Maryland makes sense as it's at least comparable in potential to Arizona, if not better.

Of note also, MD paid Gary 2M last year, and reports are Arizona did pay only 1.6M.

loldevilz
05-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Or NC State just isn't as good a job as Maryland, and thus wasn't something Miller would consider leaving for. This really isn't that hard of a concept, you guys.

Reports are Miller, AND HIS FAMILY, would prefer to be on the East Coast. Thus Maryland makes sense as it's at least comparable in potential to Arizona, if not better.

Of note also, MD paid Gary 2M last year, and reports are Arizona did pay only 1.6M.

I don't think that the issue is whether or not State is a better job. I think that Miller knows that he can recruit much better at Maryland. He is probably the best recruiting coach out there right now and DMV area has the best talent in the country. It could end up being a scary combination if he gets rolling. Just look at what Calhoun has done getting the New York area kids.

A-Tex Devil
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think that the issue is whether or not State is a better job. I think that Miller knows that he can recruit much better at Maryland. He is probably the best recruiting coach out there right now and DMV area has the best talent in the country. It could end up being a scary combination if he gets rolling. Just look at what Calhoun has done getting the New York area kids.

Maryland is unquestionably a better job. There's not even an argument They could be the east coast Oregon with Undet Armor's support. You mention recruiting. Etc. Etc.

All that said, I would push for Keith Booth. It won't happen because of experience and the fact that Kevin Anderson has to hit a home run. But it's not any less risky than Butters hiring K. Booth is a beloved alum, the guy that brought B-More back to UMD when he signed in 1993 and is Garys right hand man.

There is risk but it's a slam dunk acceptance and bringing in a home run hire is unlikely in May. The upside however is huge.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2011, 11:24 AM
All that said, I would push for Keith Booth. It won't happen because of experience and the fact that Kevin Anderson has to hit a home run. But it's not any less risky than Butters hiring K. Booth is a beloved alum, the guy that brought B-More back to UMD when he signed in 1993 and is Garys right hand man.

I would be catious given the recent examples of Doh!erty and El Sid. It's tough to come home.

(And Gary did go home, although 20+ years after he left school).

Hard to think of too many coaches who came back to their alma mater after a successful coach and did well.

A-Tex Devil
05-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I would be catious given the recent examples of Doh!erty and El Sid. It's tough to come home.

(And Gary did go home, although 20+ years after he left school).

Hard to think of too many coaches who came back to their alma mater after a successful coach and did well.

I guess i don't see those as cautionary tales other than the experience factor. And that's certainly a risk. But the main point is that if you are going to be getting turned down over and over due to the timing of this, it may not be a bad idea to look inward. It worked for Pittsburgh.

DevilWearsPrada
05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Sean Miller is staying at Arizona, and Brad Stevens said "No Thanks!". Not surprising with Brad Stevens.

I see Maryland as a very good coaching job! So much potential in Recruiting with all the awesome talent in DC, MD, and Upper VA.

And from Sean Miller's wife tweets, with her Allergy problems with all the Desert Environment; seemed like he would want a change, and take a new position.

And for Maryland in the their search: NEXT!

And as much as I really don't care for the Terps, so crucial to the ACC, to have a great coach at MD. I want to see the ACC have a dominant presence and force in the NCAA Brackets! Like 4 teams in the Sweet Sixteen, or at least 3! I am still shocked that Gary Williams retired! Didn't realize he was 66 yrs old. Gonna miss seeing him on the bench, and Sweating!

davekay1971
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Maryland is learning right now what they should have learned from NC State's coaching search. A-list coaches in good positions are just not that excited about leaving, even for a good coaching job. Frankly, for Maryland to start out with Miller, who just turned down State, and Brad Stevens, who has said till he's blue in the face that he loves the job he has now and isn't leaving, shows that Maryland was seriously overestimating how good the job is perceived to be. For all the criticism that State and State fans took for thinking their job was good enough to get guys like Miller, Barnes, etc...Maryland and their fans have made the exact same mistake.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2011, 12:50 PM
What was Ralph F.'s beef with the AD? He had some extremely negative things to say on the way out -- moreso than you would normally just expect from the situation.

As good a job as Md may be (and I still think it's being overstated) -- if you gotta work for a jerk, you way want to bide your time and not leave a good thing. Which is what all of the candidates currently have.

sagegrouse
05-08-2011, 01:19 PM
What was Ralph F.'s beef with the AD? He had some extremely negative things to say on the way out -- moreso than you would normally just expect from the situation.

As good a job as Md may be (and I still think it's being overstated) -- if you gotta work for a jerk, you way want to bide your time and not leave a good thing. Which is what all of the candidates currently have.

Ralph's beef with the AD Kevin Anderson was that, after an excellent season, he was not retained as head coach. Anderson, however, was in a bind and made a sensible decision. James Franklin was Friedgen's top assistant and the "head-coach-in-waiting," due a big payday this year if he did not become the Maryland head coach. The decision to commit to Franklin was made some time ago before Anderson became AD. Friedgen, therefore, despite coaching 10 years, didn't really have tenure, as the school was committed to promoting his assistant at the end of last season.

The powers-that-be at Maryland decided, however, that Franklin was not the answer, and he was not given the HC job. He decamped to Nashville to become the Vandy football coach.

It was not surprising that Ralph, who was 63YO, was not retained. How long a contract extension would he have been given -- 1-2 years? How would he recruit a staff? How would he get players?

Maryland, having decided to move on, did so, and Ralph was not part of the plan.

sagegrouse

davekay1971
05-08-2011, 03:35 PM
And now Brey says no. Apparently Wright and Dixon were so awed by the possibility of coaching the Terps that they basically refused to discuss the matter with Maryland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/mike-brey-wont-meet-with-maryland-officials-coaching-search-continues/2011/05/08/AFezHTRG_blog.html

So, when are we allowed to start making jokes about who hasn't turned down the Maryland job?

For the record, by the way, I'm not interested in becoming the head coach of the University of Maryland Men's Basketball team either.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Ralph's beef with the AD Kevin Anderson was that, after an excellent season, he was not retained as head coach. Anderson, however, was in a bind and made a sensible decision. James Franklin was Friedgen's top assistant and the "head-coach-in-waiting," due a big payday this year if he did not become the Maryland head coach. The decision to commit to Franklin was made some time ago before Anderson became AD. Friedgen, therefore, despite coaching 10 years, didn't really have tenure, as the school was committed to promoting his assistant at the end of last season.

The powers-that-be at Maryland decided, however, that Franklin was not the answer, and he was not given the HC job. He decamped to Nashville to become the Vandy football coach.

It was not surprising that Ralph, who was 63YO, was not retained. How long a contract extension would he have been given -- 1-2 years? How would he recruit a staff? How would he get players?

Maryland, having decided to move on, did so, and Ralph was not part of the plan.

sagegrouse

Thanks, O wise bird.

I seem to recall some of Ralph's parting shots being particulary aimed at the AD -- taht you think MD is like everywhere else, and then find out how bad they are -- something along those lines. Your explanation helps fill the gaps for me.

-- OPK

devildeac
05-08-2011, 04:49 PM
And now Brey says no. Apparently Wright and Dixon were so awed by the possibility of coaching the Terps that they basically refused to discuss the matter with Maryland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/mike-brey-wont-meet-with-maryland-officials-coaching-search-continues/2011/05/08/AFezHTRG_blog.html

So, when are we allowed to start making jokes about who hasn't turned down the Maryland job?

For the record, by the way, I'm not interested in becoming the head coach of the University of Maryland Men's Basketball team either.

They haven't asked Matt Doherty yet:rolleyes:.

wilson
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
They haven't asked Matt Doherty yet:rolleyes:.Doherty's still at SMU, right? They're probably afraid he'd say yes.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
It's interesting the everyone who has said no to State has also said no to Maryland. So much for it being a "better" job, at least so far with the "A list" candidates. Have they called Shaka Smart yet?

uh_no
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Apparently Debbie Yow has been desperately trying to get in touch with the Maryland AD....she thinks she's a perfect fit for the mens head coaching job....

uh_no
05-08-2011, 05:14 PM
It's interesting the everyone who has said no to State has also said no to Maryland. So much for it being a "better" job, at least so far with the "A list" candidates. Have they called Shaka Smart yet?

It simply reinforces the opinion that there really are only 4 or 5 top level jobs, Duke, UNC, UK, UCLA, and Kansas for sure, and everyone below that is really on the same plateu. Therefore for any of those coaches, it would really be a lateral move. The other coaches know this and unless MD makes it worth their whiles, then they're going to have to put money on the table...lots of money....problem is that they're competing with schools (AZ, Pitt, ND) who also have a lot of boosters/money....so they're kinda stuck.

Indoor66
05-08-2011, 05:28 PM
If I had hiring responsibility, I would look for a young, ethical, dedicated coach who showed organizational skill, mature attitudes and a dedication to developing his players and program. I would emphasize youth.

Take a chance on a quality person with basketball knowledge. Allow him to grow and develop at the school - build his program.

Kind of like what Tom Butters did in 1980....

devildeac
05-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Doherty's still at SMU, right? They're probably afraid he'd say yes.

Yes, he is.

SMU MEN'S BASKETBALL ROSTER

No. NAME HT. WT. POS. CL-EXP HOMETOWN (LAST SCHOOL)
0 Rodney Clinkscales 6-1 190 Guard JR-1L Zion, Ill. (Dodge City CC (Kan.))
42 Papa Dia 6-9 235 Forward SR-3L St. Louis, Senegal (SEEDS Academy/South Kent (Conn.))
11 London Giles 6-3 185 Guard JR-TR Dallas, Texas (Nevada)
30 Ryan Harp 6-4 195 Guard SR-3L Abilene, Texas (Abilene Cooper)
2 Justin Haynes 6-5 192 Guard/Forward JR-2L Palmdale, Calif. (Palmdale)
15 Austin Horn 6-3 170 Guard SO-1L Southlake, Texas (Southlake Carroll HS)
14 Tomasz Kwiatkowski 7-1 250 Center SR-3L Bydgoszcz, Poland (Lee Academy (Maine))
44 Myles Luttman 6-11 230 Center SR-JC-1L Birmingham, England (San Diego City College)
1 Collin Mangrum 6-5 190 Guard SR-TR Howe, Texas (North Texas)
24 Robert Nyakundi 6-8 220 Forward JR-RS-2L Arlington, Texas (Bowie HS)
13 Aliaksei Patsevich 6-4 180 Guard JR-JC Minsk, Belarus (Collin County CC [Texas])
12 Jeremiah Samarrippas 5-10 160 Guard FR-HS Bartow, Florida (Bartow Senior HS)
Rand Singleton Student Athletic Trainer -2nd at SMU Houston, Texas
3 Leslee Smith 6-7 245 Forward FR-HS Humble, Texas (Christian Life Center Academy)
5 Ricmonds Vilde 6-9 230 Forward FR-HS Riga, Latvia (Lee Academy [Maine])
22 Mike Walker 6-1 195 Guard SR-3L Iowa City, Iowa (South Kent (Conn.))
31 Shawn Williams 6-7 225 Forward SO-TR Duncanville, Texas (Texas)

Coaches and Support Staff

Matt Doherty - Head Coach
Larry Mangino - Assistant Coach
Jerry Hobbie - Assistant Coach
Reggie Brown - Assistant Coach
Dr. John Baker - Team Physician
Sue Bierman - Academic Services
Trent Cain - Video Coordinator
Paul Frushour - Director of Facilities & Operations - Moody Coliseum
Liliana Hemme - Executive Assistant
Herman Hudson - Athletic Public Relations
Karl Jordan - Strength & Conditioning
Brion Raven - Director of Operations
Jason Reed - Sports Equipment
Warren Young - Athletic Trainer - MLA, ATC, LAT

devildeac
05-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Doherty's still at SMU, right? They're probably afraid he'd say yes.

They also haven't asked Larry Brown or George Karl either:rolleyes:. In fact, this is starting to vaguely resemble an old DBR t-shirt: I Said No to Maryland, err, Dean:rolleyes:.

wilson
05-08-2011, 05:51 PM
They also haven't asked Larry Brown or George Karl either:rolleyes:. In fact, this is starting to vaguely resemble an old DBR t-shirt: I Said No to Maryland, err, Dean:rolleyes:.I came across that shirt in the attic the other day.

RoyalBlue08
05-08-2011, 06:26 PM
It may be that Duke just hired a more respected coach as an assistant than Maryland will be able to get as a head coach at this point. Just sayin... :)

muzikfrk75
05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Mark Turgeon perhaps?

billyj
05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
It may be that Duke just hired a more respected coach as an assistant than Maryland will be able to get as a head coach at this point. Just sayin... :)

It's a head scratcher. It pays more, is a better role and have many upsides, yet they can not find a head coach? Is the rumor true they got turn down by three coaches already?:confused:

brevity
05-09-2011, 06:03 AM
A big problem with all of this is Gary Williams' lousy timing. The Maryland job would have been more appealing a month ago, when the couching carousel was still spinning. But now that the dust has settled, high-profile coaches are suddenly being asked to reconsider a decision they made to stay put.

That said, I think Maryland should take a page from the St. John's playbook and invite an ESPN personality back into coaching: Bob Knight. He's rested and ready, and might look good in an Under Armour red sweater. Other advantages:

1. He would graduate players, which is a nice change from whatever Maryland does now.

2. He would keep the rioting fanbase in line. If I were the AD, I would give Coach Knight my blessing to beat up 5 disobedient students per month. Maybe a locked room, a target wall, and a line of chairs...

3. He would render the pursuit of 903 irrelevant, but wouldn't it be more exciting to see two active coaches chasing the same record?

Sure, it might make Coach K a little uncomfortable, and Dick Vitale would spontaneously combust at the next Maryland-Duke game, but it's worth it.

Matches
05-09-2011, 08:11 AM
How long until Gary accuses Yow of sabotaging the search?

BD80
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I understand MD has some connections and that Seal Team Six will be searching for a new coach. Confidence is high that it will be resolved more quickly than the obl search. However, viable candidates seem to be going underground much faster than Al Quida did.

OldPhiKap
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I understand MD has some connections and that Seal Team Six will be searching for a new coach. Confidence is high that it will be resolved more quickly than the obl search. However, viable candidates seem to be going underground much faster than Al Quida did.

Must have been tipped off by Billy Packerstan.

Slackerb
05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Why is it that the perception is that State has a delusional and crazy fanbase and Maryland is looking just as bad in this coaching search, if not much worse, and their fans riot when they win and fail to show up when they don't win?

All those people saying that UMD is a MUCH better job than State right now are looking less and less credible.

uh_no
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
How long until Gary accuses Yow of sabotaging the search?

who knows...I think people like gary much more than they like Yow....so even if she wanted to, it would be tough for her to do

mcdukie
05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
They probably should go after Tubby. He is a Maryland native and has always been at least solid. He also is a native son. His age could be a concern but he is younger than Knight and I think he could still bring in some decent recruits.

loldevilz
05-09-2011, 02:52 PM
They probably should go after Tubby. He is a Maryland native and has always been at least solid. He also is a native son. His age could be a concern but he is younger than Knight and I think he could still bring in some decent recruits.

I agree, Tubby has to be the number one option at this point. He will at the very minimum keep the program from major slumping which could happen if they give it a midmajor guy. He also could end up blossoming at Maryland if he recruits well which I believe he could do. The fact that he's from Maryland makes it all the better fit.

SoCalDukeFan
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
is Randy Bennett of St. Mary's.

I know that his experience is all West Coast but with Gary still around he should be able to get entry in the East pretty quick.

He has taken St. Mary's from the bottom to 2 place in the WCC. Gonzaga still rules but Mark Few seems like he will stay there forever.

He has a pipeline to Australia which is a recruiting area not covered much by Duke or UNC.

SoCal

OldPhiKap
05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Len Elmore, time to put your money where your mouth is! Take the job and show us what you know.

Reilly
05-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Must have been tipped off by Billy Packerstan.

... a tale of dark arts and **conspiracy**, and when they needed information, they called upon their friend known in every land and understood in any language, Mr. Cash ...

GustavLooming
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Turge is reported to have been offered a contract at Md. He also is rumored to be back in College Station (after a quick visit to College Park) - maybe to tell the team he's going before it's announced publicly? Who knows? There are a lot of rumors flying around on the Aggie basketball boards right now.

Turgeon was less then happy with the crowds at A&M over the past couple of years - and he wasn't shy about making his feelings known. (I've never understood how a university of 46,000 couldn't get 10% of its students to a game, but that's another story for another day.) I just wonder if a student section full of "f- you"s would make him any happier?

GustavLooming
05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
sorry for double posting. the edit button was hiding...

it's apparently official. Turgeon to Maryland.

-bdbd
05-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Turgeon to MD is being reported as FACT by the DC local TV sportscasters. Though apparently solid, I just hate the Roy Williams connection. Apparently he played for Williams at KA in the mid-late-80's. He had a couple assistant gigs, and did well as a HC before T A&M. He's had a very solid 4-year record at A&M, getting to/past the second round of the NCAAT consistently, and having some recruiting success. He was interviewed by one of the local stations here in DC and said his (A&M) players were all pretty angry with him - "and justifiably so." The local sportscasters are talking up his fiery nature, but repeatedly statinghe has "high integrity" - much like Gary Williams." Feinstein was saying that, though he may lack the immediate name recognition of the first-tier coaches like Brad Stevens, Miller, Brey, Wright and the Pitt HC - all of whom have declined either pre-emptively or an actual offer "he may actually be the best long-term answer." The Terp fans seem happy on-line too.

He seems like a pretty solid if unspectacular pick, though he has more midwest roots. The local Sportscast was also saying that he is much better connected with area AAU coaches and is more willing to play that game (than Gary was). Interesting.

Devil07
05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
local sportscasters are talking up his fiery nature

I don't know much about him, but fiery sounds right if this quote about leaving A&M from the ESPN story on his hiring is any indication:
"It was a great weekend for Texas A&M with David Loubeau returning from the draft and all three Texas players leaving," Turgeon said of the Longhorns' underclassmen trio of Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Jordan Hamilton.
You don't often see a coach directly gloating at the misfortune of a rival, particularly as a parting shot. That's pretty fiery to me. Seems like a guy who isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and who might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I'm guessing he'll fit in just fine over in College Park.

Skitzle
05-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Anyone know why MD didn't take a look at Shaka Smart? He clearly knows the DC area...

loldevilz
05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Anyone know why MD didn't take a look at Shaka Smart? He clearly knows the DC area...

Shaka is probably waiting for a much better opening then Maryland. Like Stevens he will probably end up at one of the top 10 programs in the nation. (He is actually my pick to succeed Coach K)

BD80
05-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Maybe because the AD would consider it foolish to invest millions and millions of $ in a coach who has not yet won anything with players he recruited.

wilson
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Maybe because the AD would consider it foolish to invest millions and millions of $ in a coach who has not yet won anything with players he recruited.Not to mention the fact that he signed an 8-year extension (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6290035) about a month ago.

OldPhiKap
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Good coaches make for a better ACC. Welcome, Mark.

Anyhoo, if he cleans up the hooliganism in College Park it will be a blessing for us all.

hudlow
05-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Ol' Huck will have his own little buddy in the ACC now...

Nugget
05-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Turgeon to MD is being reported as FACT by the DC local TV sportscasters. Though apparently solid, I just hate the Roy Williams connection. Apparently he played for Williams at KA in the mid-late-80's.

Turgeon actually played for Larry Brown at Kansas. He graduated in 87, and Roy didn't start there until 89.

So, he's still part of the UNC/KU extended family.

Billy Dat
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Fear the turgeon!

tommy
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
According to this (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/11/coach-says-gibbs-has-asked-for-release/#more-52110) Maryland recruit Sterling Gibbs has asked for, or is at least strongly considering asking for his release from Maryland. Other sites I've seen are saying he's definitely asking out. Sterling is the brother of Pitt's standout guard Ashton Gibbs.

crimsonandblue
05-12-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.accsports.com/cached/_images/maintainwidth/200x600/3289d6466a2cd8483042263f956c9f7d/markturgeonorlinwagnervertical-6281.jpghttp://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Mark-Turgeon-Fist-Pump.jpg

http://www.chapelhillmemories.com/uploads/Image/dean%20smith%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

I love Turgeon, but the parallels with Dean Smith (and something of the resemblance) should be stark enough to put Duke fans off. Topeka, Kansas kid. Played for Kansas. Kind of a whiner. Total chip on the shoulder. Good person. Big schnoz. Good coach.

Should be interesting.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2011, 04:51 PM
^^ Does he smoke?

crimsonandblue
05-12-2011, 05:21 PM
^^ Does he smoke?

Only after sexting. He's a post-modern Dean Smith.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2011, 05:57 PM

{shudder}

weezie
05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
{shudder}

Yeah, barf.
FWIW, I don't like sTurgeon already! Anybody who has to comment upon how much he resents Duke in his first interview as coach of that joint sounds like a pain in the keister to me.
Ooooh look, he's trying to come off as "feisty" guy.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, barf.
FWIW, I don't like sTurgeon already! Anybody who has to comment upon how much he resents Duke in his first interview as coach of that joint sounds like a pain in the keister to me.
Ooooh look, he's trying to come off as "feisty" guy.

What was his comment? I missed it.

weezie
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Sorry OPK, it was in a Bleacher Report notice that I deleted. I think we all get BR since DBR was purchased by them. I couldn't find the article when I searched but it was in the last 24 hrs.
I wouldn't steer you wrong. sTurgeon will find much to reflect upon after his first- through-umpteenth visit to Cameron.

BD80
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Ramses can sext?

Dukeface88
05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
What was his comment? I missed it.

I think Weezie is talking about this (http://www.csnwashington.com/05/11/11/Turgeons-past-includes-painful-loss-to-D/landing.html?blockID=520979&feedID=276).

For those who don't want to go digging through the story: Turgeon said he's never really gotten over losing to us in the '86 Final Four when he was playing for Kansas. Seems pretty inoccuous to me; I'd wager Johnny Dawkins would say the same thing about losing to Louisville (as would a good number of posters here, for that matter).

Steven Allen
05-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Turgeon is a really good coach, I just wish he played a more uptempo style. Maryland games are going to be brutally slow to watch now.

OldPhiKap
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Ramses can sext?

Only with his mummy.

(That was pretty darn funny, BD -- tried to give you props but was told I need to spread the love).

OldPhiKap
05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I think Weezie is talking about this (http://www.csnwashington.com/05/11/11/Turgeons-past-includes-painful-loss-to-D/landing.html?blockID=520979&feedID=276).

For those who don't want to go digging through the story: Turgeon said he's never really gotten over losing to us in the '86 Final Four when he was playing for Kansas. Seems pretty inoccuous to me; I'd wager Johnny Dawkins would say the same thing about losing to Louisville (as would a good number of posters here, for that matter).

@#$@ Denny Crum.

Yeah, if that's what he said, I can understand.

weezie
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, I guess that means I should bake him a pie and welcome him to the neighborhood.
:p

RoyalBlue08
05-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Turgeon is a really good coach, I just wish he played a more uptempo style. Maryland games are going to be brutally slow to watch now.

Just wait until Maryland plays Virginia!

Indoor66
05-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Just wait until Maryland plays Virginia!

I'll be like a Deano coached game!

MaxAMillion
05-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I will be surprised if Turgeon doesn't recruit better than Gary (that isn't saying a whole lot). Will be interesting to see if he can mold a consistent NCAA tournament program. I think that is a realistic expectation.

shoutingncu
05-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Turgeon actually played for Larry Brown at Kansas. He graduated in 87, and Roy didn't start there until 89.

So, he's still part of the UNC/KU extended family.

He was also an assistant coach under both.

www.aggieathletics.com (http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/turgeon_mark00.html)

No word on how many tickets he sold during that time.