PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Williams to remain in NBA Draft

ThePublisher
05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
ESPN just texted saying Williams will stay in the draft. This is a huge loss for Maryland. I'm sure Gary will pull things together and have a decent season as usual, but this has to burn.
This will hurt Maryland more than loosing Kyrie will hurt Duke.

DukieinSoCal
05-04-2011, 06:45 PM
So how will all these early entries affect Duke next year? The ACC was already weak last year and with Singleton, Williams and Shumpert leaving, it looks like the ACC may be even weaker this upcoming season.

Duke and UNC will likely beat up on everyone else in the league but be criticized for their weak SOS when competing for top seeds in the NCAAT.

I often wonder if it's better to pad your record against weaker competition as long as you can nab a #1 seed or play a tougher schedule, take a few more losses, and be more battle-tested for the post-season even if it means a lower seed. What does everyone think?

ThePublisher
05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Definitely covet the 1 seed, but I think being 'battle-tested' is worth more. Seems to me that teams who don't play anyone during the regular or conference season generally get railed by the selection committee, and then experience an early departure.

So many people talk about UNC being the top of the ACC, and on the book I guess they should be. But I really can see Duke sneaking up and taking the regular season and winning the Duke Invitational Tournament (acc) in Greensboro.

MCFinARL
05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Definitely covet the 1 seed, but I think being 'battle-tested' is worth more. Seems to me that teams who don't play anyone during the regular or conference season generally get railed by the selection committee, and then experience an early departure.

So many people talk about UNC being the top of the ACC, and on the book I guess they should be. But I really can see Duke sneaking up and taking the regular season and winning the Duke Invitational Tournament (acc) in Greensboro.

Battle tested is a good thing up to a point. But if your schedule--especially your conference schedule--is too tough, I think teams can get beat up in regular season play. I think that may have been a problem for a lot of Big East teams this year--although it didn't seem to hurt UConn.

roywhite
05-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Actually, the 2012 ACC Tournament will be in Atlanta.

Must say, I like it in Greensboro, and I like it being a regular win for Duke.

jimsumner
05-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Confirmation from Maryland.

"Jordan Williams has signed with an agent, ending his eligibility to play at the University of Maryland, it was announced Wednesday.

Williams, a 6-foot-10 sophomore center from Torrington, Conn., had earlier entered his name for the 2011 NBA Draft. He could have retained his eligibility by not signing with an agent and withdrawing by May 8.

“We wish Jordan well as he pursues his dream of playing in the NBA,” said head coach Gary Williams."

OZZIE4DUKE
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Actually, the 2012 ACC Tournament will be in Atlanta.

Must say, I like it in Greensboro, and I like it being a regular win for Duke.
Yes, the ACC Tourney is in Atlanta next year, dammit, but the local pod for the 2nd and 3rd round games are in Greensboro next year! I ordered my tickets from the NCAA today! :cool: I'd say the chances are fairly good the Duke and carolina will play there next March 16th and 18th (without counting my chickens before they hatch, of course...)

ThePublisher
05-05-2011, 01:54 AM
It seems to me that the BEast gets beat up during conference play, and then realized that other refs actually call fouls and they get bit during the ncaat.

I'm a falcons fan, and there is no bad seat in the house at the Georgia dome. I have family down there so I might just make the trip for a long weekend for the DIT.

I expect Duke to run things every year. I know K took a few years off after being bitten by some 1 and done guys, but we're definitely back on the trail. Looking at a 5-7 year run of domination (BARRING INJURIES) as far as I'm concerned.

loldevilz
05-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Even with the early departures there will definitely be 4 elite teams this year in the ACC:

UNC,Duke, Florida State, Miami

IMO Bernard James is going to be the best player in the ACC this year and Miami will make a huge jump because of Larranaga.

Of course at the bottom there will be some terrible teams: Maryland, BC, Wake, ect.

ThePublisher
05-05-2011, 02:31 AM
I see rivers, curry or dawkins being the best player in the ACC this year, Duke bias. Beisdes that Barnes or Henson. I do think Miami will step it up actually having a coach.

darjum
05-05-2011, 06:01 AM
I've only seen Jordan Williams play a handful of times last year and from those few occasions I wouldn't say that he jumped out to me as a pro prospect. He comes in at #25 at nbadraft.net, but I could quite easily see him fall out of the first round. I know rebounding translates well at the next level, but Omar Sanham (maybe not an accurate reflection of the two, but both are big guys who have some foot work) also rebounded well and didn't get drafted.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

Hope things work out well for him and Maryland, but it's a BIG step.

Channing
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm a falcons fan, and there is no bad seat in the house at the Georgia dome.

I like the Dome for football, but it is one of the WORST venues to watch a basketball game that is out there.

Duvall
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I like the Dome for football, but it is one of the WORST venues to watch a basketball game that is out there.

This is very true. Fortunately, the 2012 ACC Tournament will be played at Phillips Arena.

El_Diablo
05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Player 1
height: 6-9
weight: 280
17.2 points
10.2 rebounds
0.5 blocks
.541 fg%
.704 ft%

Player 2
height: 6-10
weight: 260
16.9 points
11.8 rebounds
1.4 blocks
.538 fg%
.575 ft%

Player 1 is Jared Sullinger (first team All-American and supposedly a potential top-3 pick this year).
Player 2 is Jordan Williams (supposedly a fool who will be in the smoking leagues within a couple of years).

But (other than the ft%) Williams matches up pretty well with Sullinger on paper. Of course, stats aren't everything, but I think Williams is crafty around the rim, finding various ways to score--and doing a great job of rebounding--despite facing frequent double teams. I think he has all the tools and (with some continued hard work) will be fine in the NBA. He may not be a star, but he can certainly be a solid player off the bench who can score, rebound, and play defense. And going towards the end of the first round would put him on a solid team the he need not carry on his own.

Even if he were to stay in school and refine his game a little, he could very well still go towards the end of the first round (if not later) in next year's draft, which should be deeper than this year's. The pending lockout would definitely give me pause if I were him, but I can't say it's that bad of a choice to leave now.

roywhite
05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
He was certainly a good college player.

Is 6'10" legit?
I'm wondering if he might be a bit short for an inside scorer. That would not preclude him from being a good NBA player, but would mean he should work on his range and his game facing the basket.
And it would help if he could shoot free throws better.

Olympic Fan
05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm sure Gary will pull things together and have a decent season as usual, but this has to burn.
This will hurt Maryland more than loosing Kyrie will hurt Duke.

I'm not sure what you mean by "have a decent season as usual"?

For a team that won the national title in 2002 (less than a decade ago) and played in the NCAA Tournament 11 straight times between 1994 and 2004, I would think that to be "decent" Maryland would have to make the NCAA Tournament.

But Gary has missed the NCAA field FOUR times in the last seven years. They've only finished better than sixth in the ACC twice in that seven-year span. They've been one-and-done in the ACC Tournament five times in the last seven years. Last year, they didn't even get an NIT bid.

Look, I respect Gary as a coach, but he's been on hiatus as a recruiter since winning the NCAA in '02. He got lucky with a couple of modestly rated prospects -- Grevias Vasquez and Jordan Williams -- and together they helped him win a share of the ACC regular season title in 2010 -- but otherwise, all his good coaching has not allowed him to keep up in the ACC.

"As usual" for Maryland will be a sixth-place finish and a trip to the NIT. I don't think many Maryland fans would consider that "decent."

PS I agree with loldevilz that UNC, Duke, FSU and Miami (in about that worder) should be favorites to qualify for the NCAA -- but Miami is only in that mix IF (and it's a big if) Reggie Johnson pulls his name out of the draft. As for yesterday, I heard an interview that said he was 50-50. They've got to have him in the middle to be an elite team (Gamble just isn't enough in the post).

I look for Virginia to be MUCH better next year and NC State to be somewhat better -- like Miami, they finally have a coach ... the loss of Harrow hurts, but he left because Gottfried wanted to use Lorenzo Brown at the point. They're better off keeping Leslie (who was supposed to be leaving) and losing Harrow than vice versa. Georgia Tech also benefits from better coaching, but not enough talent to escape the middle of the pack.

Clemson and Virginia Tech drop off some, but not that much. Of course, they were bubble teams a year ago (Clemson just in and VPI just out), so even a little dropoff means NIT.

The real dropoff is BC, which goes from bottom of the first division to battling Wake for last place. They lose everybody.

roywhite
05-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "have a decent season as usual"?

But Gary has missed the NCAA field FOUR times in the last seven years. They've only finished better than sixth in the ACC twice in that seven-year span. They've been one-and-done in the ACC Tournament five times in the last seven years. Last year, they didn't even get an NIT bid.

Look, I respect Gary as a coach, but he's been on hiatus as a recruiter since winning the NCAA in '02. He got lucky with a couple of modestly rated prospects -- Grevias Vasquez and Jordan Williams -- and together they helped him win a share of the ACC regular season title in 2010 -- but otherwise, all his good coaching has not allowed him to keep up in the ACC.

Yeah, the recruiting has been the issue, and I heard something this season that may be part of the story.

A player from another school (it may have been Delaney from VaTech, though I can't remember for sure) made a remark that he had been on a recruiting trip to Maryland, attended a game there and was turned off by the excessively rowdy, vulgar fans. One wonders how often this scenario has been repeated, and how many recruits were similarly turned off by the Terp fans.

Perhaps the Maryland administration has not cracked down on crowd behavior, but it sounds like "natural forces" in the way of negative experiences for recruits has exacted a penalty.

zack2014
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Is 6'10" legit?

I dont buy it. I've seen him up close a few times and he didnt look 6'10". Also he was about 2 inches shorter than Berend Weijs who is also listed at 6'10"