PDA

View Full Version : Casey Peters....."The last guy on the bench"

Verga3
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Casey is as inspirational and solid a young man as they come. Check this out. http://www.faithandleadership.com/blog/05-03-2011/jason-byassee-the-last-guy-the-bench?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=headline&utm_campaign=NI_feature

Casey has been a backbone for Duke basketball. He will surely be missed.

JasonEvans
05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I really hope everyone has read this article. It is a fabulous testament to how everyone is part of the team.

“I think of myself as a hard worker,” Smith said, “but Casey works harder.” Then he turned from his speaking notes on the podium and looked at his friend: “Casey, you made me better.”

-Jason "read it... trust me" Evans

DukeGirl4ever
05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
What a fantastic article. I was a bit perplexed, though, when it said that Casey never scored a point for Duke. I could have sworn that he hit a 3 against (was it??) Baylor last year, but when I checked the stats he, in fact, had no points the past 2 years.

I'm thinking it was Jordan who hit the 3 against Baylor at the end of the game?
Anyway, it is easy to see why Casey was a fan favorite. That kid always had a smile on his face and was willing to do what it took to make his teammates better. He also seems like a wonderful brother as his tweets to his sister are so heart-warming. His family is blessed.

4decadedukie
05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
As much as we enjoy and admire Duke Basketball, the fact is there are more important things in life. The values, the self-discipline, the selflessness, the teamwork, the dedication, and the brains Casey has brought to Duke’s program -- as a player and as a manager -- are virtually certain to ensure that he is a major winner in life's big game.

godukerocks
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking it was Jordan who hit the 3 against Baylor at the end of the game?
Anyway, it is easy to see why Casey was a fan favorite. That kid always had a smile on his face and was willing to do what it took to make his teammates better. He also seems like a wonderful brother as his tweets to his sister are so heart-warming. His family is blessed.

It was indeed Jordan, but I believe it was at the conclusion of the West Virginia game.

DukeGirl4ever
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
It was indeed Jordan, but I believe it was at the conclusion of the West Virginia game.

Thank you for your amazing memory. Motherhood has not done well for my attention span and memory. I think I passed those things on to my daughter when she was born! :D

That would make sense since the West Virginia game was a blow out and some of the other guys would have received playing time at the end. Baylor was a nail biter and chances Casey or Jordan were in the game were slim to none.

lmb
05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
As much as we enjoy and admire Duke Basketball, the fact is there are more important things in life. The values, the self-discipline, the selflessness, the teamwork, the dedication, and the brains Casey has brought to Duke’s program -- as a player and as a manager -- are virtually certain to ensure that he is a major winner in life's big game.

Actually this is what I enjoy and admire about Duke basketball. I have no connection to the University, but I have been a fan for 25 years or so because of these values that Coach K teaches. That's what makes college basketball so great to me. Watching young men develop for four years into great people who also happen to be great basketball players. Teaching the 'important things in life' is Coach K's special gift and why I root for Duke and not some other schools. I know many Div. 1 coaches teach the same things and don't get the same amount of attention for it, but many coaches do not. And certainly, no one combines wins on the court with these life lessons as successfully as Coach K.

JasonEvans
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
You have to wonder what was going through Casey's head as he worked out like a madman his senior season. He knew he was rarely, if ever, going to play once we hit January. He had to be thinking, "if I am stronger, I can push these guys a little bit harder in practice." It was not about his own betterment, it was about making the other guys on the team just a tiny bit tougher and stronger.

--Jason "hard not to love a kid like that" Evans

4decadedukie
05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
You have to wonder what was going through Casey's head as he worked out like a madman his senior season. He knew he was rarely, if ever, going to play once we hit January. He had to be thinking, "if I am stronger, I can push these guys a little bit harder in practice." It was not about his own betterment, it was about making the other guys on the team just a tiny bit tougher and stronger.

--Jason "hard not to love a kid like that" Evans

Yep, not all teammates are equally visible, but all provide important contributions to achieve group goals.

Verga3
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Very well-said.

Casey is a definitive role model for any future Duke student-athletes....so glad he was here. And, the Peters daily double is that his sister, Haley, will be with us for three more years on the women's basketball team! Duke is fortunate.

Verga3
05-04-2011, 09:17 PM
How would you like to have your sibling say (tweet) this about you?

From Haley Peters: "Work hard, make others better, have fun, love your friends, inspire others, set goals so big they’re nearly impossible, achieve them, and then pay no mind to the public anonymity. Those who know, know you matter."

Newton_14
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Great article. A must read. What an amazing young man. Casey will go far in life, and will benefit greatly from his time at Duke. He could have chosen to play at other D1 schools in the Ivy League with a chance to earn real playing time, but his dream was to play for Duke knowing practice and mop up duty would be his future. I love that he chose the path he did.

I wish him the best in whatever he aspires to be, and he is one walkon we will not soon forget.

Cool that his mom posted in the comments section under the article, thanking the author. Good stuff.

darjum
05-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Quite a few basketball fans (Bill Simmons comes to mind) call out the college game for aesthetic reasons; once you've read this story it helps solidify why it is that so many people are fans of the college game...there simply are no Casey Peters in the pros, they all have an agenda to playing the game. What Casey represents is a pureness that is found when your primary goal isn't money or statistics. I'm glad his contributions were heart felt by his more notable teammates.

Good luck in life to Casey and his family.

4decadedukie
05-05-2011, 07:26 AM

From Haley Peters: "Work hard, make others better, have fun, love your friends, inspire others, set goals so big they’re nearly impossible, achieve them, and then pay no mind to the public anonymity. Those who know, know you matter."

What a WONDERFUL statement by Haley; one is compelled to believe that their parents did a superb job, and it certainly is demonstrated in both children. The fact is, I will retire after 43 years in a very anonymous profession next month. If only one long term colleagues said this about me, I would cherish is forever; that's how much it likely means.

PaIronDuke
05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
What a WONDERFUL statement by Haley; one is compelled to believe that their parents did a superb job, and it certainly is demonstrated in both children. The fact is, I will retire after 43 years in a very anonymous profession next month. If only one long term colleagues said this about me, I would cherish is forever; that's how much it likely means.

This is the essence of Duke athletic philosophy and of which we can all be immensely proud- perhaps "treasure" is the operative word.

Casey, we hardly knew ye, but all of us wish a long and happy life for you.

DevilWearsPrada
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM

What an awesome article, and fabulous tweet from Haley. It made me think of the Basketball banquet this year, and the wonderful senior speech Casey gave. It brought a tear(s) to all. Dreams do come true, and Casey Peters will forever be a mamber of the 2010 NCAA Mens Basketball National Championship! And that he will receive his Degree from Duke University in a few days!

Job Well Done!

Verga3
05-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Great article. A must read. What an amazing young man. Casey will go far in life, and will benefit greatly from his time at Duke. He could have chosen to play at other D1 schools in the Ivy League with a chance to earn real playing time, but his dream was to play for Duke knowing practice and mop up duty would be his future. I love that he chose the path he did.

I wish him the best in whatever he aspires to be, and he is one walkon we will not soon forget.

Cool that his mom posted in the comments section under the article, thanking the author. Good stuff.

Amen, Newton_14!

Casey will be remembered as a true student-athlete role model at Duke. He is a regular (special) guy that has developed some tremendous life skills that Duke academics/professors and basketball/Coach K have certainly greatly contributed to.

My Duke student-athlete will graduate next weekend with Casey, and I know that she has had a grand ride on and off the field. Duke student-athletes are blessed with the best total package of academics and athletics (and college life) that can be had.

Kudos, Casey!

wallyman
05-07-2011, 09:48 PM
And kudos and congratulations to you and your graduating senior.

SCMatt33
06-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I just read an article on Yahoo about the number 53 in basketball (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Why-these-players-chose-the-sport-s-least-popula?urn=ncaab-wp3343). It turns out that out of 345 D-I teams, Casey is one of only seven men who wore the number last year. At the end of the article, there is a quote from Casey about why he chose to wear it.

Verga3
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I just read an article on Yahoo about the number 53 in basketball (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Why-these-players-chose-the-sport-s-least-popula?urn=ncaab-wp3343). It turns out that out of 345 D-I teams, Casey is one of only seven men who wore the number last year. At the end of the article, there is a quote from Casey about why he chose to wear it.

Very neat piece...thanks for sharing, Matt.

DevilWearsPrada
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM

A wonderful story! Casey Peters worked consistently to achieve his Dreams of Wearing a Duke uniform. Casey's work ethic and determination should be inspiration for all young people (anyone, actually), to have a goal and Dream Big and Believe you can succeed!

cameroncrazy3104
06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
I thought it was cool that Casey was on the front page

He was one of only 7 players in the country to wear #53

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Why-these-players-chose-the-sport-8217-s-least-?urn=ncaab-wp3343

NovaScotian
06-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh man, I saw this and was gonna post it too. I thought his explanation was funny because usually the non scholarship players are given whatever number is left in the 40s and 50s. Both davidsons wore 41, though jd did wear 12 before Kyle came, Ross Perkins was 40, and Steve Johnson was in the 50s iirc.

uh_no
06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
he obviously wore 53 to be close to zoubek, and thus awesomeness