PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Purvis

HCheek37
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Story http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6464816

Could Duke be in the mix for Purvis?

Slackerb
05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I think both Duke and NC State are in the mix.

I've heard that he's been seen around Raleigh quite a bit.

Story http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6464816

darjum
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Hard to say no to a top 10 recruit but in the end two words will prevent Purvis coming to Duke...Rasheed Sulaimon.

roywhite
05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Hard to say no to a top 10 recruit but in the end two words will prevent Purvis coming to Duke...Rasheed Sulaimon.

No inside info, but Duke has to be counting scholarships at this point, esp. if Daniels ends up in Durham.

tbyers11
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I've heard that he's been seen around Raleigh quite a bit.

Could that be because he lives in Raleigh? :)

I honestly have no idea where he ends up. Would be a big get for Gottfried after the Harrow transfer.

yancem
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
At this point I can't see how/why Duke would actively recruit him. I know that he is a very good player but when he enters college Duke will have 2 true pg's and 2-3 lead/combo guards already on the roster. Additionally, we are looking to be very tight in the scholarship department. There are already scholarship offers out to at least Parker and Shabazz with only one slot currently available which may be taken by Daniels. So in order to sign those two we are going to have some early entries or transfers. I don't see how Purvis could bump himself up the priority list enough to get an offer.

Slackerb
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
^^No. I've heard that he has relationships with some people from State, like Tyler Lewis, Lorenzo Brown, and Julius Hodge.

I've also heard that Purvis is a top priority for Gottfried.

At this point I can't see how/why Duke would actively recruit him. I know that he is a very good player but when he enters college Duke will have 2 true pg's and 2-3 lead/combo guards already on the roster. Additionally, we are looking to be very tight in the scholarship department. There are already scholarship offers out to at least Parker and Shabazz with only one slot currently available which may be taken by Daniels. So in order to sign those two we are going to have some early entries or transfers. I don't see how Purvis could bump himself up the priority list enough to get an offer.

uh_no
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Agree 100%. He may get a look, but I doubt it gets too far.

airowe
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Duke is/has been in contact with Purvis. He was one of Duke's earliest offers to the 2012 class (and is one of three outstanding uncommitted offers along with Tony Parker and Shabazz Muhammad.) It will be interesting to see how this whole thing progresses. The scholarship numbers are certainly getting tight...

esl
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Duke is/has been in contact with Purvis. He was one of Duke's earliest offers to the 2012 class (and is one of three outstanding uncommitted offers along with Tony Parker and Shabazz Muhammad.) It will be interesting to see how this whole thing progresses. The scholarship numbers are certainly getting tight...

What about Deandre Daniels? I know he is 2011 but was inquiring about the three uncommitted outstanding offers.

yancem
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Getting tight! Having more offers out than available scholarships is already tight. Now I know that things are likely to open up a little with the expected departures of Rivers and MP2. Question though, are you suggesting that Purvis' offer is still on the table? I would have thought that it disappeared when he committed to Louisville. Also, how do you see him fitting in with all the other guards or is possible that it become a Purvis or Shabazz type situation?

gam7
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
When Rodney was asked about Duke shortly after he committed to Louisville, he said something to the effect that he liked Duke but that Duke's backcourt is just too crowded. That situation has not changed (I know we lost Irving, but he would not have been considered in Rodney's calculations for the 2012-2013 season). With Ryan Harrow's transfer, there are some newfound minutes at State, and I would bet that Rodney will end up there (if it is, in fact, between Duke and State).

airowe
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Getting tight! Having more offers out than available scholarships is already tight. Now I know that things are likely to open up a little with the expected departures of Rivers and MP2. Question though, are you suggesting that Purvis' offer is still on the table? I would have thought that it disappeared when he committed to Louisville. Also, how do you see him fitting in with all the other guards or is possible that it become a Purvis or Shabazz type situation?

I don't believe that offers disappear and then reappear, but players are obviously prioritized and looked at differently if they commit to another school.

Not sure on the fitting in thing. Probably too early to tell. Rodney isn't looking to make a decision before the fall.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2011, 02:34 PM
What about Deandre Daniels? I know he is 2011 but was inquiring about the three uncommitted outstanding offers.
Patience is a virtue. :cool:

esl
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Patience is a virtue. :cool:

I will try to be virtuous then.:)

Indoor66
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM
For some reason, his name has a bad feeling for me. Maybe it has to do with 1986? :)

Duke: A Dynasty
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Was Purvis the kid who said his favorite team growing up was Duke??

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Are you saying he makes you nervous? :confused::D

05-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Uhh lol I dont get it... One of our recruits from 2012 said that their dream school was Duke. I couldnt remember who it was.

El_Diablo
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM

That would be doing him a disservice. :D

Bluedog
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Uhh lol I dont get it... One of our recruits from 2012 said that their dream school was Duke. I couldnt remember who it was.

I think that was Sulaimon.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/rasheed-sulaimon-to-duke/

Sulaimon grew up a Duke fan and he can now play for his dream school.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=163642860352651

Sulaimon always talked about Duke and was honored when Krzyzewski offered him a scholarship at the very beginning of January.

"It's always been No. 1 to him," [Sulaimon's coach] Lowe said. "He said he wants to continue working on his game to keep pushing and pushing, and he's always done that to be able to get offered at Duke.

And Landon Lucas, who we scouted a bit but didn't offer, basically said the same thing...

Olympic Fan
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Duke is/has been in contact with Purvis ... It will be interesting to see how this whole thing progresses. The scholarship numbers are certainly getting tight...

I agree that the scholarship numbers are interesting. As it stands at this moment, Duke had 12 scholarship players committed for 2011-12 ... and just one of them (Miles Plumlee) is a senior. If DeAndre Daniels commits, that would push the number to the maximum of 13. And Coach K already has Rasheed Sulaiman committed for 2012-13.

That would appear to preclude the possibility of adding ANYBODY else in next year';s class (if Daniels comes).

Of course, we all know it's not going to work that way. There are a number of possibilities to open up scholarships for 2012-13:

(1) Austin Rivers is almost certainly a one-and-done player. I'd love to think he'll stay four years ... or even two, but we all know he's 99 percent certain to leave after next season.

That's one (Shabazz Muhammad??)

(2) Mason Plumlee is a potential departee after his junior season. He's been rated a borderline lottery pick the last two years. If he has the kind of junior season we all hope he can have, it's hard to see him not being a lottery lock next season.

That's two (Tony Parker???)

(3) Seth Curry could graduate will his class. He should be on track to graduate in the spring of 2013. He would still have one more year of eligibility remaining, but would he take it?

(4) DeAndre Daniels might not come. Or he could come and be one-and-done. Frankly, I don't see him as that level of recruit, but there are rumblings on the recruiting circuit that that is his plan. That would explain why K is anxious to bring him in, despite the presence of so many other longterm answers on the wing.

Either way, that's potentially No. 4

(5) Somebody may despair of the playing-time crunch and transfer. I hate to suggest the possibity, but we've seen if before -- plenty of times. Outsiders have been speculating about Andre leaving since before last season. Actually, I think he's in position to play a lot -- even to start in three-guard alignment -- but if he gets squeezed out with all the other backcourt talent next season.

That's potentially No. 5

If even half of these scenarios play out (No. 1 is very likely; No. 2 very possible), K would be remiss in not preparing for the eventuality. And he's not remiss.

As Lefty Driesell once said when one of his alums raised a similar concern "Ah kin count."

I'm sure K can too.

05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I think that was Sulaimon.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/rasheed-sulaimon-to-duke/

And Landon Lucas, who we scouted a bit but didn't offer, basically said the same thing...

Yup it was.... and I just read that Purvis grew up a unc fan and is freinds with Reggie Bullock

bdevil4life
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I would rather see him in red than that other blue.....

airowe
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Yup it was.... and I just read that Purvis grew up a unc fan and is freinds with Reggie Bullock

Rodney won't be attending UNC for college.

FishStick
05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Rodney won't be attending UNC for college.

I see you've added the qualifier "for college." So he may be attending UNC for other reasons, e.g. NBA development? ;)

Seriously though, as good as he is I see us so loaded with small guys - K knows what he's doing so I'm not too worried either way.

kylecpalmer
05-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Why would Rasheed Sulaimon keep him from coming to Duke? Purvis could play the point and Sulaimon the 2. Purvis is more of a combo guard anyway...with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry

Class of '94
05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Why would Rasheed Sulaimon keep him from coming to Duke? Purvis could play the point and Sulaimon the 2. Purvis is more of a combo guard anyway...with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry

I'm hoping you're just joking; but just in case, what are you basing your theory on? And FWIW, I think it was stated in a previous thread that Rodney does not have a desire to go to UNC despite growing up as a UNC fan; and the fact that UNC wasn't listed as one his choices in the espn link IMO lends credence to that.

devildeac
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervis_Ellison

Nickname: "Never Nervous Pervis"

I still shed a tear when I think of that game:(.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Uhh lol I dont get it...
I guess you're too young to remember 1986 and Never Nervous Pervis (Ellison). I was making a joke off the similarity of his first name.

jimrowe0
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
According to JayJayEspnRise....Sheed has been recruiting Purvis hard to Duke

roywhite
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I guess you're too young to remember 1986 and Never Nervous Pervis (Ellison). I was making a joke off the similarity of his first name.

Yeah, I gotcha the first time, Oz. But I'm an old guy, too. :)

You know, it's kind of nice in a way to see that game pass from the awareness of some fans. It was among the most disappointing of all our championship losses.

One of my goals is to outlive mention of the 1974 Duke--UNC 8-points-17 seconds--Walter Davis bankshot game. And we're making progress. Billy Packer, who used to mention it a few times per year, is mostly gone from the air. And now, Woody Durham, who also mentioned the game frequently, has retired.

Some old memories are best forgotten or buried.

darjum
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012

Rodney Purvis:Shooting Guard, 6'4, 185 lbs

Rasheed Sulaimon: Shooting Guard, 6'3, 175 lbs

Looks reasonably similar doesn't it? Add to Sulaimon in the rotation Cook, Thornton, Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije and possibly Rivers and Duke will have a fair bit of competition for minutes in 2012-13. Hopefully that answers your question.

In regards to your comment: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...if that makes you sleep better at night, good for you.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I gotcha the first time, Oz. But I'm an old guy, too. :)

You know, it's kind of nice in a way to see that game pass from the awareness of some fans. It was among the most disappointing of all our championship losses.

One of my goals is to outlive mention of the 1974 Duke--UNC 8-points-17 seconds--Walter Davis bankshot game. And we're making progress. Billy Packer, who used to mention it a few times per year, is mostly gone from the air. And now, Woody Durham, who also mentioned the game frequently, has retired.

Some old memories are best forgotten or buried.
Now why did you have to go and ruin a perfectly good evening and bring up THAT game. :mad:

05-03-2011, 12:50 AM

Ahh got ya. Yea I was born 4 years later and didnt get into basketball till the late 90's

Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012

Looks reasonably similar doesn't it? Add to Sulaimon in the rotation Cook, Thornton, Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije and possibly Rivers and Duke will have a fair bit of competition for minutes in 2012-13. Hopefully that answers your question.

Purvis would translate to a pg in college and possibly the NBA though so your point about him and Rasheed playing the same spot does not matter. Also Rivers will be gone, Gbinji is a SF and Dawkins will play SG and SF. So that just leaves Cook and Thornton. Also as a side note some would say Purvis would play over Thornton and even if he did not there is nothing wrong with him sitting his freshmen year.

darjum
05-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Ahh got ya. Yea I was born 4 years later and didnt get into basketball till the late 90's

Purvis would translate to a pg in college and possibly the NBA though so your point about him and Rasheed playing the same spot does not matter. Also Rivers will be gone, Gbinji is a SF and Dawkins will play SG and SF. So that just leaves Cook and Thornton. Also as a side note some would say Purvis would play over Thornton and even if he did not there is nothing wrong with him sitting his freshmen year.

When Purvis committed to Louisville, I recall an article where he stated that Duke's back court depth was a factor in his choice. Therefore I do believe the depth will still play a role for a top 10 recruit wanting to play immediately, just my believe in relation to his initial decision to commit to Louv. My hope is that by 2012-13 either Cook or Thornton has gained control of pg duties and that Duke puts more stock into Seniors Curry and Dawkins than a freshman. If Purvis wants to come despite rotation concerns that would be great. But adding another guard for 2012 should not be the priority over a rebounding interior player.

05-03-2011, 01:15 AM
When Purvis committed to Louisville, I recall an article where he stated that Duke's back court depth was a factor in his choice. Therefore I do believe the depth will still play a role for a top 10 recruit wanting to play immediately, just my believe in relation to his initial decision to commit to Louv. My hope is that by 2012-13 either Cook or Thornton has gained control of pg duties and that Duke puts more stock into Seniors Curry and Dawkins than a freshman. If Purvis wants to come despite rotation concerns that would be great. But adding another guard for 2012 should not be the priority over a rebounding interior player.

Yea I agree that he should not be the top priorty but he should be a second one. I did not mean to make it sound as though he did not think our backcourt was crowded though. I was just trying to clarify the previous post because it was a little off.

darjum
05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Yea I agree that he should not be the top priorty but he should be a second one. I did not mean to make it sound as though he did not think our backcourt was crowded though. I was just trying to clarify the previous post because it was a little off.

Yeah, sorry to sound a little narky in my previous post, but I was responding to someone who has an obvious UNC interest as they stated Shabazz and Purvis were both UNC bound. But yes, getting Purvis would be great, he seems like an elite talent.

kylecpalmer
05-03-2011, 03:44 AM
[QUOTE=darjum;502174]Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2012

In regards to your comment: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...if that makes you sleep better at night, good for you.

What does the height and weight have anything to do with this? Purvis is more of a point guard than Sheed anyway. Also I have read that Purvis and Shabazz have talked about playing together at UNC...I do not want that to happen at all, its just something I have read. I also believe that Coach K is smart enough to find room for guys that deserve to play, regardless of class. There is a reason he is the best coach of all time. I also believe he knows what he is doing when he is recruiting.

darjum
05-03-2011, 04:23 AM
"with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"

What does the height and weight have anything to do with this? Purvis is more of a point guard than Sheed anyway. Also I have read that Purvis and Shabazz have talked about playing together at UNC...I do not want that to happen at all, its just something I have read. I also believe that Coach K is smart enough to find room for guys that deserve to play, regardless of class. There is a reason he is the best coach of all time. I also believe he knows what he is doing when he is recruiting.

Your initial quote, made it appear that you were at Tar Heel fan: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...therefore I assumed that you were dismissing Duke as an option based on your personal preference for North Carolina basketball. Hence my curt response to your comment.

I still feel that at this stage Purvis is a 'luxury' recruit in comparison to interior defender and at no point did I doubt Mike Krzyzewski recruiting tactics. Duke has a wealth of talent incoming and returning this year to Duke's back court.

airowe
05-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Duke doesn't consider Purvis a "luxury recruit".

Purvis does not and will not consider UNC.

CarmenWallaceWade
05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
This is pretty interesting.

I was talking to my neighbor (a UNC fan) a few months ago about hoops and this guy's name came up. My neighbor has seen him play here in Raleigh several times and was raving about how unbelievably good he is. He also remarked at that time that word on the street was Purvis was still really high on Duke which to me didn't make much sense since he had already committed to Louisville. But for some reason that stuck in the back of my mind and made me wonder if Purvis might not be that firm on them.

HCheek37
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
From twitter - Jason Jordan who works for ESPN Rise (high school athletics)

JayJayESPNRise Jason Jordan
My man @sheed_01 tells me that: "Next summer @tonyparker32 & either @rpurvis_44 or @phenom15balla will be w/ me @ Duke." #toprecruiter

Making it sound like Tony Parker is solid and Rodney/Shabazz are possible? :cool:

Also interested to note that Rodney retweeted this comment which seems like a positive sign that he is at least interested.

kylecpalmer
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, sorry to sound a little narky in my previous post, but I was responding to someone who has an obvious UNC interest as they stated Shabazz and Purvis were both UNC bound. But yes, getting Purvis would be great, he seems like an elite talent.

I have not interest in UNC, I despise them..There is no bigger Duke fan in the world than me. I was just letting you know what I have read. I would love for Shabazz and Purvis to come to Duke. How are you going to say getting Purvis would be great? didnt you say we didnt have room for him??

darjum
05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I have not interest in UNC, I despise them..There is no bigger Duke fan in the world than me. I was just letting you know what I have read. I would love for Shabazz and Purvis to come to Duke. How are you going to say getting Purvis would be great? didnt you say we didnt have room for him??

I was attempting to be agreeable with you and rectify my misinterpretation of your previous quotes by being pleasant...sorry if you feel I was being patronizing. It was not my intentions and I do hope that you were not offended by assumption of your like or dislike of UNC basketball.

Purvis would be 'great' because he is an elite talent. Any time an elite talent wishes to grace the Cameron Indoor wearing the home jersey I am all for it. I do still think that Duke has a very loaded back court for the foreseeable future and hope that an interior defender finds his way onto the recruiting pledges for 2012.

dukeballboy88
05-03-2011, 11:45 PM
If Purvis wants to come to Duke, find room for him.

05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
If Purvis wants to come to Duke, find room for him.

Hmm short, simple, and completely agree

05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
(4) DeAndre Daniels might not come. Or he could come and be one-and-done. Frankly, I don't see him as that level of recruit, but there are rumblings on the recruiting circuit that that is his plan. That would explain why K is anxious to bring him in, despite the presence of so many other longterm answers on the wing.

I have said for a while now he would be one and done or at most 2 and done. Many think his game translates well to the NBA. He is a good one on one player that is very good at scoring. Will he be a stud? Idk but he will get drafted and have a chance. Especially if next years NBA class is as loaded as its supposed to be then that means he could go to a team where he doesnt have to start (Lakers or Celtics who both are wanting to get some youth to be ready to replace the age)

Slackerb
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry, but those of you that think Coach K wouldn't want Purvis, or that committed recruits or current players are good enough that Duke doesn't need Purvis, are out of their mind.

If you can get the #1 position player, at any position, you take him. You make room for him. You don't turn down players of this caliber.

And you certainly don't claim that you aren't interested in a player when you've already offered him a scholarship previously.

It just smells like sour grapes, except that it's pre-emptive.

Faison1
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry, but those of you that think Coach K wouldn't want Purvis, or that committed recruits or current players are good enough that Duke doesn't need Purvis, are out of their mind.

If you can get the #1 position player, at any position, you take him. You make room for him. You don't turn down players of this caliber.

Didn't K do just that when Myck Kabango (sp?) de-committed from Texas?

lotusland
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Didn't K do just that when Myck Kabango (sp?) de-committed from Texas?

Was Kabongo the the top ranked PG?

Bluedog
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM

And you certainly don't claim that you aren't interested in a player when you've already offered him a scholarship previously.

How do you "make room"? By kicking players off the team like Calipari? I don't think Coach K would go that route. I'm not trying to be combative; it's just an honest question. Obviously, I think everybody would love to have Rodney on the team if possible. It's just that people are suggesting that our greater need is at the PF/C. Assuming Rivers is one and done (which you never know; HB was #1 player in his class and came back and so did Sullinger; also CBA could change), in 2012-13, we'll have:

Guards:
1.) Cook
2.) Thornton
3.) Curry
4.) Dawkins
5.) Sulaimon

Wings:
6.) Murphy
7.) Gbinije
8.) Hairston
9.) Daniels?

PF/C:
10.) MP3
11.) Kelly
12.) MP2?

If Parker commits, no more scholarships available...If Austin comes back, no more scholarships available. Obviously, MP2 could be gone and Curry could graduate potentially and Daniels hasn't yet committed. If we don't get Parker, would you feel confident with MP3 and Kelly holding down the 4/5? I guess Hairston/Daniels/Murphy could take time at the 4, but it's thin in the post area while we're pretty stacked at the guard slots.

I trust Coach K to know what is best for the team, though.

Was Kabongo the the top ranked PG?

Kabongo is the #2 PG (Cook is ranked #8 PG). Purvis is ranked as the #2 SG by Scout in his class.

lotusland
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM

I'm not sure what Coach K's philosophy is but I like for Duke to develop players who become senior leaders. I think it will be hard to keep 4-year players if you are constantly recruiting over them with one and done players. I'd rather go after some depth at center and allow, our current players/recruits to develop instead of having a revolving door for players who don't even unpack their bags so to speak.

kong123
05-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Duke doesn't consider Purvis a "luxury recruit".

Purvis does not and will not consider UNC.

UNC never considered Purvis.

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position? And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?

roywhite
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position? And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?

The 4-year guys are still around and very important.

Class of 2010
Jon Scheyer
Brian Zoubek
Lance Thomas
(Gerald Henderson left early)

Class of 2011
Kyle Singler
Nolan Smith

...and there are certainly others in the program who are likely to be there 4 years.

kong123
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM
The 4-year guys are still around and very important.

Class of 2010
Jon Scheyer
Brian Zoubek
Lance Thomas
(Gerald Henderson left early)

Class of 2011
Kyle Singler
Nolan Smith

...and there are certainly others in the program who are likely to be there 4 years.

Again, you are off target and are trying to deflect. Those guys are gone. Who is the NS or KS on this team? You will need a player to rapidly improve to provide the consistency and leadership those two players gave you. Next year you expect a freshman to do that for you. BIG CHANGE. Will this change in philosophy lead to less consistency over time?

roywhite
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Again, you are off target and are trying to deflect. Those guys are gone. Who is the NS or KS on this team? You will need a player to rapidly improve to provide the consistency and leadership those two players gave you. Next year you expect a freshman to do that for you. BIG CHANGE. Will this change in philosophy lead to less consistency over time?

Not trying to "deflect" at all.

Just addressing your point, which was false.

It sometimes happens that a particular senior class is lacking or small in numbers. That's certainly true for Duke with the class of 2012, has been true on other occasions at Duke, and plenty of other schools.

That doesn't at all mean that Duke has gone away from 4-year players. There are plenty of 4-year players in the program.

SilkyJ
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Ebbs and flows my friend. I wouldn't generalize too much.

You are right, we don't have those same types of senior leaders for next year, but that has happened in the past. After JJ/Sheld graduated we have young teams led by non-seniors: Demarcus, McBob, paulus, etc. Then came the Scheyer/Zoubs/LT class, and of course last year's senior class. Coach K is adapting to the evolving nature of college ball and recruiting more short-term players, but I expect over time we will continue to develop 4 year players and have a veteran-core.

pfrduke
05-04-2011, 03:30 PM

For one season, we're short on seniors. In 2012-13, we'll have at least Dawkins, Kelly and Curry as seniors and four year players (Curry sort of only three, although he certainly played a role on the 2010 team). In 2013-14, Hairston and Thornton will be seniors, as well as a stable of people from this incoming class who will be juniors - Cook, Gbinije, Plumlee III, possibly Murphy/Daniels. Most of them, I would wager, will also be senior leaders the next season. There's plenty of consistency to be seen on the roster, and if Coach wants to add some supremely talented players who may be around for a shorter period of time to help that bunch out, more power to him.

airowe
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM

False. Steve Robinson recruited Rodney very hard until it became obvious he wasn't going to attend UNC.

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position?

You could very well be right. State offers a lot to Rodney. One of the original reasons Rodney chose Louisville was because Duke's backcourt was going to be too crowded and he got the blessing from his grandmother to go to school out of state. He's a family-oriented kid though and has always wanted to be close to home. State could win out in that they offer both things Rodney wants. However, Duke is and will be a huge factor in his recruitment.

And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?

I agree with you here too to an extent. However, while schools like Duke and UNC don't "make room" for players, they also don't "recruit over" players. When kids choose to attend the elite schools, they understand that there will always be serious competition for minutes.

kong123
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Not trying to "deflect" at all.

Just addressing your point, which was false.

It sometimes happens that a particular senior class is lacking or small in numbers. That's certainly true for Duke with the class of 2012, has been true on other occasions at Duke, and plenty of other schools.

That doesn't at all mean that Duke has gone away from 4-year players. There are plenty of 4-year players in the program.

Sure, there are plenty of four year players, but four year starter's that are big time contributors? Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins may play another two years at Duke, but they are currently being recruited over. K will have to play 10 guys in order to keep everyone happy. I know, I know, he is the master of adapting to his team, but he usually likes to limit his rotation. Look at the 2008 Olympics, where the US team won every game by an average of over 20 pt's, he still didn't play a lot of guys. Guys like Boozer, Redd, and Jason Kidd didn't average much over 10 minutes a game. Not many kids make it to the pros if they only average 10 minutes a game in college.

roywhite
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Sure, there are plenty of four year players, but four year starter's that are big time contributors? Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins may play another two years at Duke, but they are currently being recruited over. K will have to play 10 guys in order to keep everyone happy. I know, I know, he is the master of adapting to his team, but he usually likes to limit his rotation. Look at the 2008 Olympics, where the US team won every game by an average of over 20 pt's, he still didn't play a lot of guys. Guys like Boozer, Redd, and Jason Kidd didn't average much over 10 minutes a game. Not many kids make it to the pros if they only average 10 minutes a game in college.

Looks like moving target here; now we want 4-yr starters who are major contributors?

Thomas and Zoubek were not 4-yr starters; Scheyer was not a 4-yr starter
Even going back to the 2001 championship, we'd have only Battier and even he didn't start nearly all the games his first 2 years. Duhon started at year-end; does that count?
If you're looking for an actual example of a good 4-yr starter, go up to 2011 and use Kyle Singler.

Seth Curry won't be a starter for the next 2 years?
Coach K will be using a big rotation in the foreseeable future?

Gosh, who knows?
The landscape of college basketball changes and Duke is not immune from that, but I don't see the demise of 4-year players, and good ones, at Duke.

05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Gottfried has been supposedly recruiting Purvis since he got the State job.

and

Purvis has been playing pick up games with State players.

http://twitter.com/#!/summerhoopscoop

Hmmm is he possibly a State lean... I find it interesting he decommited a few days after Harrow wants out

OZ
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Just wondering why you are so worried about Duke and not unc? You guys just recruited at least two that - imo -will be better than some projected starters. You have already suffered through a "wear" attack and a withDrew. I think I would spend my energy concerned about my own team and not "wear" myself out fretting over Duke.

kong123
05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Just wondering why you are so worried about Duke and not unc? You guys just recruited at least two that - imo -will be better than some projected starters. You have already suffered through a "wear" attack and a withDrew. I think I would spend my energy concerned about my own team and not "wear" myself out fretting over Duke.

I am not sure Wear you are coming from with this, but I do know Wear UNC finished in the NCAA Tourney. I wonder Wear Larry withDrew watched UNC play their Elite 8 game. Wear did you watch it?

If that is all you have to add to the thread, you shouldn't post at all. I am actually adding to the discussion.

Mcluhan
05-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Sure, there are plenty of four year players, but four year starter's that are big time contributors? Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins may play another two years at Duke, but they are currently being recruited over. K will have to play 10 guys in order to keep everyone happy. I know, I know, he is the master of adapting to his team, but he usually likes to limit his rotation.

I think this is basically right. It's been hard for me to get super excited about nabbing more blue chip recruits when we have so many guys who will already be competing for minutes next year. Every offseason this board (myself included) fantasizes about how we might get PT for ten guys, but rotations that deep tend to be the exception at Duke. Why are we still recruiting this hard?

OZ
05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I am not sure Wear you are coming from with this, but I do know Wear UNC finished in the NCAA Tourney. I wonder Wear Larry withDrew watched UNC play their Elite 8 game. Wear did you watch it?

If that is all you have to add to the thread, you shouldn't post at all. I am actually adding to the discussion.

My point is.. I am not sure exactly what you are offering here that wouldn't be applicable to your unc. Why do you not have the same concern for them?

Reading your comment, you seemed to be overly concerned about the number of players Duke is recruiting and how that might effect the playing time of those presently at Duke. UNC just lost the Wear twins and Drew supposedly because of the concern you raised about Duke. Yet no one is leaving and two potentially great players are coming in.

It is a bit confusing to me that a UNC fan would be so worried about who Duke recruits and whether or not Coach K can properly utilize them. I am also not sure the evidence you offered to support your thoughts - the amount Coach K played professionals - is relevant to the situation.

Finally, I have read a number of your posts that didn't seem to offer a much to the discussion at hand, but, I am not going to suggest that you not post; I would appreciate it if you would afford me the same courtesy.

05-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I think this is basically right. It's been hard for me to get super excited about nabbing more blue chip recruits when we have so many guys who will already be competing for minutes next year. Every offseason this board (myself included) fantasizes about how we might get PT for ten guys, but rotations that deep tend to be the exception at Duke. Why are we still recruiting this hard?

and just a few years ago people thought we were not recruiting well.... Some people just want to complain. What K is doing is almost perfect for a college team nowadays. Go after 1 sure fire player (a one and done) and a few 3 to 4 year guys but dont keep getting the same position for the one and done. Pg last year in Kyrie Sg this year Rivers. Next year we may have a C who is one and done and also a PG. How is that bad?

kong123
05-04-2011, 05:15 PM
My point is.. I am not sure exactly what you are offering here that wouldn't be applicable to your unc. Why do you not have the same concern for them? I believe Roy thought that Harrison Barnes would go pro after his freshman season, so recruiting another wing was approriate

Reading your comment, you seemed to be overly concerned about the number of players Duke is recruiting and how that might effect the playing time of those presently at Duke. UNC just lost the Wear twins and Drew supposedly because of the concern you raised about Duke. Yet no one is leaving and two potentially great players are coming in.
UNC didn't lose the Wear's or Drew because they were being recruited over. The Wear's were in a great situation. They would have received tons of PT last season and in seasons going forward. They left because they were homesick. LD2 left because his parents felt he should be the starter. Drew was given a year and a half to prove himself, when he failed and lost his job to his backup, he quit. Your point again missed the target

It is a bit confusing to me that a UNC fan would be so worried about who Duke recruits and whether or not Coach K can properly utilize them. I am also not sure the evidence you offered to support your thoughts - the amount Coach K played professionals - is relevant to the situation.
If you look at the players on Dukes team, Duke is loaded at the 2 and the 3. Curry and Dawkins will most likely be here next year and you will have Murphy, Gbinje, Hairston, possibly Daniels and possibly Shabazz Muhammad. Do you need more 2's and 3's or do you need more bigs? Your scholarships are limited. Other factor, Duke historically plays less guys. All of these are valid points that I have already made. And by the way, this is a Duke forum and I am allowed to be here and discuss Duke basketball. My point about playing time for professionals is that all of those guys are really good and deserve playing time. Everyone claims that K will juggle playing time to maximize the talent of his team. That was proof that it isn't always true.

Finally, I have read a number of your posts that didn't seem to offer a much to the discussion at hand, but, I am not going to suggest that you not post; I would appreciate it if you would afford me the same courtesy.
then stay on topic. and if you are going to comment on my posts, read and comprehend them first

Mcluhan
05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
and just a few years ago people thought we were not recruiting well.... Some people just want to complain. What K is doing is almost perfect for a college team nowadays. Go after 1 sure fire player (a one and done) and a few 3 to 4 year guys but dont keep getting the same position for the one and done. Pg last year in Kyrie Sg this year Rivers. Next year we may have a C who is one and done and also a PG. How is that bad?

Fair enough. I'm primarily concerned about the guys currently on the team, and their development as it relates to a fair distribution of minutes. We can all rest assured that those who earn the PT will have truly earned it, but there is some tension between healthy "no guarantees" intra-team competition and the type of opportunity for growth that an upperclassmen who's played significant minutes should reasonably expect.

kylecpalmer
05-04-2011, 08:38 PM
I was attempting to be agreeable with you and rectify my misinterpretation of your previous quotes by being pleasant...sorry if you feel I was being patronizing. It was not my intentions and I do hope that you were not offended by assumption of your like or dislike of UNC basketball.

Purvis would be 'great' because he is an elite talent. Any time an elite talent wishes to grace the Cameron Indoor wearing the home jersey I am all for it. I do still think that Duke has a very loaded back court for the foreseeable future and hope that an interior defender finds his way onto the recruiting pledges for 2012.

I apologize as well. I agree we do need some big man to come in instead of more guards. We havent had a true dominant big man since Shelden. I am just going to put my faith in Coach K and believe he has the plan to take us back to the Final Four.

darjum
05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I apologize as well. I agree we do need some big man to come in instead of more guards. We havent had a true dominant big man since Shelden. I am just going to put my faith in Coach K and believe he has the plan to take us back to the Final Four.

Thanks. I do like what someone wrote on the 2012 recruiting thread where they stated that if Purvis wants to come, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So basically if you can get a top 10 recruit interested in your program let him come, rather than waiting on a player that may never arrive.

TonyWR
05-04-2011, 08:54 PM

If I only had a dollar for every time I heard a tarhole boast that their team made it a game further in the tourney....jeez how pathetic. Like anyone cares? Will anyone be talking about that in ten years? Oh thats right, you tarholes will be. You do remember Duke beat your team for another ACC championship right? I love how you forget that when boasting....

duke09hms
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
If I only had a dollar for every time I heard a tarhole boast that their team made it a game further in the tourney....jeez how pathetic. Like anyone cares? Will anyone be talking about that in ten years? Oh thats right, you tarholes will be. You do remember Duke beat your team for another ACC championship right? I love how you forget that when boasting....

Use of the word "tarhole" is about as mature as the word "doo kie".
And yes, UNC making it one round further than us to the Elite 8 is something worth bragging about and a great accomplishment for their young team. Diminishing that is equivalent to unc fans saying their ACC regular season championship is just as good as our true ACC tournament championship.

Mcluhan
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
And yes, UNC making it one round further than us to the Elite 8 is something worth bragging about and a great accomplishment for their young team. Diminishing that is equivalent to unc fans saying their ACC regular season championship is just as good as our true ACC tournament championship.

Exactly. Let's keep DBR the classy exception to most fan sites.

ThePublisher
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Any new word on Purvis? My State friends seen to be getting rather optimistic about their chances.

duke1983
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Given that he now has Kentucky and Florida on his list, along with Duke I'm not sure how much of a look he will be giving NC State unless playing time and staying close to home is his ONLY priority. It's early, but I think he ends up choosing b/t Duke and Kentucky.

burns15
05-13-2011, 12:16 PM

I don't agree. The fact that UNC made it one game further than Duke, yet still did not win the national title( the goal for both programs) or even make the Final Four...there is nothing tangible there that UNC achieved that Duke did not. Where as, on the other hand, the two championships won by the teams pre-NCAA tournament are things we can recognize, and Duke being the ACC champions for 2011 takes the cake

Rich
05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't agree. The fact that UNC made it one game further than Duke, yet still did not win the national title( the goal for both programs) or even make the Final Four...there is nothing tangible there that UNC achieved that Duke did not. Where as, on the other hand, the two championships won by the teams pre-NCAA tournament are things we can recognize, and Duke being the ACC champions for 2011 takes the cake

I have to agree with you. For better or for worse, programs at our stature are measured primarily by the following: National Championships, Final Fours, and ACC Tournaments, in that order. There are other stats that people throw in, such as continuous NCAA Tourney bids, continous Sweet 16's, etc, but that's just fodder for commentators more than anything else. Other than the big three mentioned above, all else is equal in defining a particular season.

duke09hms
05-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah that's probably true - National championships, Final Fours, and ACC Championships (maybe) are most important for the elite programs. No argument there.

I'm just pushing for more objectivity on this site. Give UNC credit where it's due. They advanced further than us in the tournament - a tangible achievement in the record books. Elite Eight vs. Sweet Sixteen. So if a UNC fan wants to brag about that, sure they have a point and acknowledge it.

But DO NOT let them off the hook and forget to bring up ohh how we're 4-1 against them with a couple blowouts, steamrolled them in the finals for the REAL ACC championship, and won the last 10 of 13 ACC championships.

flyingdutchdevil
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
National Titles and Final Fours - absolutely. These are the primary measurements that a program uses to define its accomplishments. ACC Championships are important as well, but I personally feel that these are a massive step below the other two. I can definitely name the last 10 NC winners and possibly the last 40 Final Four teams. Because I'm a Duke fan, I can name the last 10 ACC Champion winners. But for other conferences: Big East, Big 10, Big 12, etc. - I couldn't give you anything. While the tournaments are important to fans, players, and coaches, they are meaningless to basketball fans who don't follow the ACC as closely. This applies to recruits as well. Basketball coaches will obviously sell their accomplishments within their own conferences (tournament wins, streaks, etc.), but I would suspect that a recruit's ears pop up when they discuss the tournament.

With so much exposure on the tournament, recruits are automatically drawn to this facet. I would suspect that everything else - pre-season, pre-conference, conference games, and conference tournaments - come second (I also presume that this changes once the recruit gets on campus and talks with the coaches).

In this regard, Duke has such an advantage: 4 NC in the last 21 years. 11 Final Fours under Coach K. The top NCAA win percentage amongst active coaches (is that right? I just assumed).

Gthoma2a
05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I like Purvis, but how will we use him? We have Quinn and Tyler to be PG options, and we have Seth, Andre, Rasheed, and, if something crazy happens, Austin at SG. That makes me wonder how good it would be to keep adding guys here. I welcome the talent if K thinks it will work, but I, personally, wonder if that is efficient allocation of scholarships.

Slackerb
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I like Purvis, but how will we use him? We have Quinn and Tyler to be PG options, and we have Seth, Andre, Rasheed, and, if something crazy happens, Austin at SG. That makes me wonder how good it would be to keep adding guys here. I welcome the talent if K thinks it will work, but I, personally, wonder if that is efficient allocation of scholarships.

I still maintain that if you can sign the #1 position player, you do it.

With an elite talent like Purvis, you worry about the rotation later.

jimsumner
05-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Seth will be given every opportunity to play point guard, Dawkins can and will play small forward and both would be seniors when Purvis and Sulaimon are freshmen.

If the NBA changes the CBA and that keeps Rivers for two seasons, then Duke might lose Rivers, Curry and Dawkins at the same time.

Slackerb
05-16-2011, 10:41 AM
To further prove the points, since 2006, the only players Duke has gotten commitments from that are higher rated than Purvis:

Kyle Singler
Kyrie Irving
Austin Rivers

CharlestonDevil
05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
For those of you worried about having too many PG's on the team if Purvis commits... I think you should remember this duo:

Chris Duhon and Jason Williams

Faison1
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
To further prove the points, since 2006, the only players Duke has gotten commitments from that are higher rated than Purvis:

Kyle Singler
Kyrie Irving
Austin Rivers

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. How many other programs have achieved better recruiting results than what you mentioned above? Besides Kentucky....

Kedsy
05-16-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. How many other programs have achieved better recruiting results than what you mentioned above? Besides Kentucky....

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he means if we can get someone of that caliber, we ought to go for it, regardless of position.

Slackerb
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he means if we can get someone of that caliber, we ought to go for it, regardless of position.

Exactly. It's not that Duke cannot recruit well...it's to put into perspective just how elite a recruit Purvis is, even by Duke's lofty standards.

You don't simply turn down a recruit like that just because you have enough guards. Plus, look at this previous year. On paper, it looked like every position was filled with 1st string talent, and then one critical injury later and positions are being shifted, players are having to cover deficiencies, etc.

Having 2+ elite SG's is not a bad thing.

Faison1
05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Exactly. It's not that Duke cannot recruit well...it's to put into perspective just how elite a recruit Purvis is, even by Duke's lofty standards.

You don't simply turn down a recruit like that just because you have enough guards. Plus, look at this previous year. On paper, it looked like every position was filled with 1st string talent, and then one critical injury later and positions are being shifted, players are having to cover deficiencies, etc.

Having 2+ elite SG's is not a bad thing.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Pure guess, but I would bet the outcome has more to do with how Purvis sees his playing time, rather than how Coach K envisions his future.

darjum
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Pure guess, but I would bet the outcome has more to do with how Purvis sees his playing time, rather than how Coach K envisions his future.

That would be a realistic assessment of the situation.

I wonder if the opportunity to share a back court with Rivers, or potentially replace him, would act as a drawing card for Rodney? But yes, PT might be a concern for him.

dukeballboy88
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I dont think PT will be a concern for Purvis wherever he goes. If K can get him, he has my blessing. I want every game changer I can get.

flyingdutchdevil
05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I dont think PT will be a concern for Purvis wherever he goes. If K can get him, he has my blessing. I want every game changer I can get.

As long as he doesn't injure his toe 8 games into the seasons :p

EDIT: even then, I'd want THAT game changer

dukesource
05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Twitt from Purvis:

@rpurvis_44
Had great convo with Coach K last night. It's humbling to be on the phone and having a conversation with such a great coach/person.
Bless'n
Twitter for iPhone • 5/19/11 12:05 PM

Looks like things are going well would love to have Purvis next year!

Rich
05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Twitt from Purvis:

@rpurvis_44
Had great convo with Coach K last night. It's humbling to be on the phone and having a conversation with such a great coach/person.
Bless'n

We've been burned before. I'm not counting any chickens.

thenameisbond
05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
State will be a player here and their backcourt is not crowded. I'd LOVE to add Rodney to the roster but it could come down to where he sees himself getting the best chance for PT.

CharlestonDevil
05-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Twitt from Purvis:

@rpurvis_44
Bless'n

It is always great to hear quotes like these from elite talents. Regardless if Rodney commits or not, hearing a player of his caliber say that he is "humbled" by Coach K is just another example of why we have the best coach in college basketball.

I've never heard, and doubt I ever will hear, of a recruit being "humbled" by Ol'Roy. He's too much of a cheerleader daggumit.

Starter
05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
It is always great to hear quotes like these from elite talents. Regardless if Rodney commits or not, hearing a player of his caliber say that he is "humbled" by Coach K is just another example of why we have the best coach in college basketball.

I've never heard, and doubt I ever will hear, of a recruit being "humbled" by Ol'Roy. He's too much of a cheerleader daggumit.

Eh... I'm by no means a Roy Williams fan, but if I'm a high school player and the coach of North Carolina personally calls me and has interest in my playing there, I'd probably be a little humbled. And Roy is, well, sorta goofy, but he's done a lot in the college game and will continue to.

That said, if Coach K gave me a call to say what up, I'd swoon. And I'm 31.

CharlestonDevil
05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Eh... I'm by no means a Roy Williams fan, but if I'm a high school player and the coach of North Carolina personally calls me and has interest in my playing there, I'd probably be a little humbled. And Roy is, well, sorta goofy, but he's done a lot in the college game and will continue to.

If Roy called, yea I would be impressed/excited/confident/maybe a little overwhelmed. But that would also go for Calipari (even though he's a sleaze), Pitino, Self, Donovan, or whoever is coaching UCLA.

My point is that there is a difference between any big time coach at a big time school and the reaction that kids have when K comes calling. It takes a person of different character and leadership ability to make a High School phenom (who is probably cocky and self assured (general statement not directed at Purvis)) to be "humbled".

sagegrouse
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
If Roy called, yea I would be impressed/excited/confident/maybe a little overwhelmed. But that would also go for Calipari (even though he's a sleaze), Pitino, Self, Donovan, or whoever is coaching UCLA.

My point is that there is a difference between any big time coach at a big time school and the reaction that kids have when K comes calling. It takes a person of different character and leadership ability to make a High School phenom (who is probably cocky and self assured (general statement not directed at Purvis)) to be "humbled".

I am with you... but Shane Battier is not and was not. When he was being recruited, I understand that he assigned each of the schools on his final list (5-6, I believe), one evening time slot each week of 15-30 minutes to make a telephone call. Rick Pitino, then at Kentucky, called when it was not his time. Shane removed Kentucky from his list.

sagegrouse

CharlestonDevil
05-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I am with you... but Shane Battier is not and was not. When he was being recruited, I understand that he assigned each of the schools on his final list (5-6, I believe), one evening time slot each week of 15-30 minutes to make a telephone call. Rick Pitino, then at Kentucky, called when it was not his time. Shane removed Kentucky from his list.

sagegrouse

Easily explained. I am from Earth. Shane is from Krypton.

BD80
05-20-2011, 08:25 PM
If Roy called, yea I would be impressed/excited/confident/maybe a little overwhelmed. But that would also go for Calipari ...

If Calipari called, I'd be VERY excited! I start researching my choice of cars immediately!

oldnavy
05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
If Calipari called, I'd be VERY excited! I start researching my choice of cars immediately!

OK, that made me spit out my coffee!! Very funny!!

I think the word humbled is key. If a top tier coach like Roy Williams or Rick Pitino, or Calipari called me, I would not be humbled, I would be excited, proud or maybe even impressed, but not humbled. Now if K or John Wooden, or even Dean Smith called me I would be a little humbled....

It may just be semantics. I know that I am little OC over which word to use and when, but maybe a high school kid puts less thought into word selection.

BUT, no matter it is nice that he feels this way, and can only be a good thing. May not be THE thing, but it is a good thing.

Devilsfan
05-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Saw where Dickie V "honored" ol'roy and cal at his gala. Wonder how he picked his guys?

ThePublisher
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Purvis is supposed to be visiting campus today according to a state forum.Anyone know the details?

airowe
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Purvis is supposed to be visiting campus today according to a state forum.Anyone know the details?

He'll get a chance to play pickup with 30-something current and former players, just like Theo Pinson did yesterday. The timing of these visits and the K Academy starting yesterday is not coincidental.

roywhite
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
He'll get a chance to play pickup with 30-something current and former players, just like Theo Pinson did yesterday. The timing of these visits and the K Academy starting yesterday is not coincidental.

Hey, sounds great.

Doesn't hurt to have top prospects who live relatively nearby and can drop in for tours and some pickup action.

PADukeMom
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM

You are 31??!!?? I would have thought you would have been no older than 25. You age well my friend.

If Coach K ever called me someone would have to call 911.

Purvis would be a great addition to our family. I hope the visit goes well. Updates anyone?

Starter
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
You are 31??!!?? I would have thought you would have been no older than 25. You age well my friend.

If Coach K ever called me someone would have to call 911.

Purvis would be a great addition to our family. I hope the visit goes well. Updates anyone?

Haha, I'll take that as an enormous compliment. And you haven't even seen me (I think?), I get carded everywhere.

I agree on Purvis, looking forward to updates from those pickup games. I used to love watching those. My freshman year, I stood wide-eyed in East Campus gym as Laettner, Battier, Brand, Wojo, Hurley, Thomas Hill and Chief all played in the same game. It was very, very competitive.

moonpie23
06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
twitter:

rpurvis_44 Rodney Purvis
Had a Great Time !!!!!!!
1 hour ago

ThePublisher
06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
@rpurvis_44 Rodney Purvis
Headed back over to Duke !
2 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

Krzyzewskiville
06-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Hmm Purvis at the 2, Get Sheed' to run the 1. Get a big man... STELLAR class. (Tony Parker pleeease)

ThePublisher
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Hmm Purvis at the 2, Get Sheed' to run the 1. Get a big man... STELLAR class. (Tony Parker pleeease)

I doubt either would start over a senior Curry and Dawkins, along with a sophomore Cook. They would make us incredibly deep though.
That said, Purvis is a very special player. I remember seeing him at the Pro-Am last year, playing with guys much older he was very good. He tried to dunk almost from the free throw line, missing, but still the attempt itself was impressive.

AlaskanAssassin
06-08-2011, 06:44 PM
New Blog:

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Rodney-Purvis/2011/06/08-Purvis-Intro.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball

jnastasi
06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
New Blog:

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Rodney-Purvis/2011/06/08-Purvis-Intro.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball

Really like this kid a lot. His game is really clean and would fill in real nicely in place of Austin when he bounces to the NBA. I just hope the number of 1/2 guards we have doesn't scare him off.

g-money
06-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Purvis looks like the second coming of D-Rose in his Youtube highlights, with the usual caveat that there's only so much you can learn about a player from clips of driving and dunking.

His well-written diary posting makes me suspect his SAT scores would be a bit better than Rose's were too. :)

It seems like he'd be a great addition to the team.

darjum
06-09-2011, 05:02 AM
New Blog:

I wasn't surprised that he is a fan of Dwyane Wade. Physically, if Purvis can bulk up, he is still a high school kid after all, I can see him becoming very similar to Wade. Here is Purvis's "strengths" as listed on ESPN:

"Rodney is a slasher supreme. He is impossible to keep out of the lane at times. He is very strong and a very good athlete. His quickness, strength, size and solid handle allow him to get where ever he wants on the court, whenever he wants. Purvis is very good in transition and is a big finisher. His jumper is respectable to 15 feet and Rodney is a solid rebounder with his strong body, excellent leaping ability and aggressiveness. He is an excellent passer and often finds his open teammates on his drives into the lane. He is wired to score and simply gets buckets when on the floor".

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/67459/rodney-purvis

Sure sounds like a bio of D.Wade to me!

Duke of Nashville
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I wasn't surprised that he is a fan of Dwyane Wade. Physically, if Purvis can bulk up, he is still a high school kid after all, I can see him becoming very similar to Wade. Here is Purvis's "strengths" as listed on ESPN:

"Rodney is a slasher supreme. He is impossible to keep out of the lane at times. He is very strong and a very good athlete. His quickness, strength, size and solid handle allow him to get where ever he wants on the court, whenever he wants. Purvis is very good in transition and is a big finisher. His jumper is respectable to 15 feet and Rodney is a solid rebounder with his strong body, excellent leaping ability and aggressiveness. He is an excellent passer and often finds his open teammates on his drives into the lane. He is wired to score and simply gets buckets when on the floor".

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/67459/rodney-purvis

Sure sounds like a bio of D.Wade to me!

D. Wade/Rose with Rondo's jumpshot.....

But it sounds like he doesn't have to take too many jumpers. Kid is solid and he will have a great future wherever he decides to play.

COYS
06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

But it sounds like he doesn't have to take many jumpers. Kid is solid and he will have a great feature wherever he decides to play.

The fact that Purvis' jumpshot is even considered "respectable" out to 15 feet means that any comparisons to Rondo's shooting are off base and insulting to Rodney =).

darjum
06-09-2011, 08:30 PM

But it sounds like he doesn't have to take too many jumpers. Kid is solid and he will have a great future wherever he decides to play.

The fact that Purvis' jumpshot is even considered "respectable" out to 15 feet means that any comparisons to Rondo's shooting are off base and insulting to Rodney =).

I really like the way Rondo plays, his all-court game is great, but boy does he hurt his team offensively when he doesn't take open shots and the fact he's literally scared to shoot free throws.

COYS
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I really like the way Rondo plays, his all-court game is great, but boy does he hurt his team offensively when he doesn't take open shots and the fact he's literally scared to shoot free throws.

Totally agree. With his already stellar defensive play and his passing ability, simply becoming an average shooter would elevate him into a top 5 player in terms of over all value, in my opinion. He can play fast or he can slow it down and run the offense. He can defend the quickest 1's and all but the biggest and strongest 2's. He's one of the best rebounding guards in the league . . . and he's not even a shooting guard. He's got so much going for him that an average jump shot would take him to the top pretty quickly.

akhan786
06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Totally agree. With his already stellar defensive play and his passing ability, simply becoming an average shooter would elevate him into a top 5 player in terms of over all value, in my opinion. He can play fast or he can slow it down and run the offense. He can defend the quickest 1's and all but the biggest and strongest 2's. He's one of the best rebounding guards in the league . . . and he's not even a shooting guard. He's got so much going for him that an average jump shot would take him to the top pretty quickly.

His large hands has proved to be a problem in his shooting mechanics, but with Ray Allen on your team how can your shooting not improve?

Jason Kidd was also a poor shooter earlier in his career and he has 100+ three pointers this season.

I'm sure Rondo will develop his shot over the summer to at least be a consistent free throw shooter.

If he can be an 85% free throw shooter his ppg can skyrocket to 15 or 18 because he'd more aggressive going into the point knowing that he can knock down his free throws.

Rondo is among my favorites in the league because of his tenacity and passion for winning at all costs.

jipops
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
His large hands has proved to be a problem in his shooting mechanics, but with Ray Allen on your team how can your shooting not improve?

Freakishly large hands was not a problem for some guy named Jordan who was a pretty good shooter.

BD80
06-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Freakishly large hands was not a problem for some guy named Jordan who was a pretty good shooter.

Not at first. He had to work VERY hard to get as good as he became

akhan786
06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
When your hands are the size of someone of Yao Ming's height (his hands are 9.5 inches long and 10 inches wide) I think your shooting will be hindered.

MJ's were somewhere around 9 inches but then again he was 6'6 and Rondo is 6'1

jnastasi
06-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have ESPN Insider and want to shed some light on who they say are the top to programs for RP??

tommy
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have ESPN Insider and want to shed some light on who they say are the top to programs for RP??

I don't know who ESPN says are the contenders for him, but Rodney himself says here (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/06/15/purvis-enjoys-mizzou-visit/#more-53583) that they are Louisville, Duke, NC State, Kentucky, and Missouri.

This is in the context of an article about how he enjoyed his visit to Missouri, which it sounds to me like it was a courtesy visit because of his connection to Tim Fuller, who left Lousville to go to Missouri with Frank Haith. Fuller is the reason RP committed to Louisville in the first place, so it's hard to imagine him re-committing there. I also don't see him going to Missouri, though, partially because of this quote: "Tim is a great guy, but I have to do what's best for my future and my family."

To me, this one feels like it's coming down to Duke and State.

watzone
06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
FWIW, Purvis is a no show thus far at the NBA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville.

BluePanda
06-16-2011, 05:30 PM

If you are talking about the bit from the Rumors section from earlier today, it mentioned that the top two programs for Purvis are Duke and NC State. The bit has since been updated to talk about how important he would be for Gottfried in his first year at State.

It also cites the following article published today, which sums things up well:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30074642?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

Greg_Newton
06-16-2011, 09:26 PM
When your hands are the size of someone of Yao Ming's height (his hands are 9.5 inches long and 10 inches wide) I think your shooting will be hindered.

MJ's were somewhere around 9 inches but then again he was 6'6 and Rondo is 6'1

Still, large hands are undeniably a great asset on the basketball court overall... he wouldn't be nearly the ballhandler or finisher he is without them. Mainly because he wouldn't have hands, in that case, but... well, you know what I mean... :p

watzone
06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Purvis will be in on Saturday to participate in the top 100 camp.

Starter
06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
According to this link (http://www.nationofblue.com/rodney-purvis-says-kentucky-louisville-out-picture-7921/?utm_source=Nation+of+Blue&utm_medium=NOB), Purvis says he's down to Duke, NC State and Missouri. As of now, at least, it looks like Kentucky and Louisville are out of the picture. (And I'd have to feel good about our chances...)

watzone
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Purvis is really down to two. He told the media the three schools mentioned. Take the last one off and you have the two finalist.

jipops
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Purvis is really down to two. He told the media the three schools mentioned. Take the last one off and you have the two finalist.

That is actually terrific news. Obviously I hope we get the guy but if he ends up at State this is a huge plus for college basketball in the triangle. It always seems to add something extra when State is able to feature some talent that is comparable to what UNC and Duke rather routinely feature. It's also a plus for the ACC as a whole. This would also be an enormous get for Gottfried right out of the gate.

Philawolf
06-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Just curious what the average DBR poster thinks about the NC State chances for Purvis. When I put my objective hat on, it would be hard for me to imagine him going to NC State over Duke, but as a fan/alum I have strong hopes. I'm guessing that you guys get pretty much everyone you offer at this point, but I don't follow your recruiting at all. There hasn't been a time when we've gone head to head recently outside of Shavlik as a legacy player.

SCMatt33
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Just curious what the average DBR poster thinks about the NC State chances for Purvis. When I put my objective hat on, it would be hard for me to imagine him going to NC State over Duke, but as a fan/alum I have strong hopes. I'm guessing that you guys get pretty much everyone you offer at this point, but I don't follow your recruiting at all. There hasn't been a time when we've gone head to head recently outside of Shavlik as a legacy player.

I think state definitely has a chance. Not every recruit responds to the same thing. Having a new coach allows NC State to play the "ground floor" card. The can tell Purvis that he be the one who restarts NC State as a pillar of the game. NC state is building and some guys will want to be the ones to lead it. Gottfried has to be able to sell what he is doing, though, much like Steve Lavin just did this year.

Newton_14
06-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Welcome to the board! Please hang around and join in the conversation. We appreciate fans of opposing teams talking hoops with us.

Regarding Purvis, I feel you guys have a great chance. Per one of our resident insiders "Watzone", Purvis is down to State or Duke. We want him for sure, but our backcourt is loaded with talent already, while State's is thin at the moment. That could be a factor that leans him your way. He is good enough that he will get plenty of PT at either place, but it still has to be considered. K is hot right now, but Gottfried is making strides so who knows.

Like Matt said, every kid is different, and their comfort level is one of the biggest factors. Purvis may feel like State is a better fit for him or he may fall in love with Duke. It is just hard to say at this point. I hope he chooses Duke, but I will not be surprised at all if he ends up wearing Red.

Philawolf
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the board! Please hang around and join in the conversation. We appreciate fans of opposing teams talking hoops with us.

Regarding Purvis, I feel you guys have a great chance. Per one of our resident insiders "Watzone", Purvis is down to State or Duke. We want him for sure, but our backcourt is loaded with talent already, while State's is thin at the moment. That could be a factor that leans him your way. He is good enough that he will get plenty of PT at either place, but it still has to be considered. K is hot right now, but Gottfried is making strides so who knows.

Like Matt said, every kid is different, and their comfort level is one of the biggest factors. Purvis may feel like State is a better fit for him or he may fall in love with Duke. It is just hard to say at this point. I hope he chooses Duke, but I will not be surprised at all if he ends up wearing Red.

Thanks for the warm welcome. What would you say the recruiting yield is for Duke (ie percentage of players that Duke offers that go to Duke)? I'd imagine it would be around 80%, but maybe that's too high?

UrinalCake
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. What would you say the recruiting yield is for Duke (ie percentage of players that Duke offers that go to Duke)? I'd imagine it would be around 80%, but maybe that's too high?

Wow, if you ask the hardcore duke fans on this board, they'll probably say it feels MUCH lower, if only because the ones that say no tend to really stick out. Prior to last year, lots of people were saying things like "Duke doesn't get any top recruits anymore," forgetting that guys like Singler and Henderson were very highly rated.

Anyways, my guess is that it's closer to 25-50%, but others who are more in the know could better speculate. Coach K is obviously very selective about who he offers, but you also need to have contingency plans and that means putting out multiple offers.

As for Purvis, the biggest draw to State is that he's guaranteed more playing time (no disrespect meant to the players they have, but Duke's backcourt will be absolutely loaded).

watzone
06-17-2011, 10:35 PM

The Pack have a solid shot here. He can get instant PT without having to earn it in Raleigh. The average person asked today thinks NCSU leads.

Philawolf
06-17-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't think many Pack fans would be offended by the statement that Duke has more talent and thus playing time than NC State.

Wow, only 25% of those offered. From a Pack perspective it seems like Duke always has the best players in the country. Whether its Irving or Rivers, or whoever, it just seems like you guys have the best players, and of course having the best coach of the last 30 years doesn't hurt either. It still boggles my mind that V and K entered the ACC in the same year. It seems so long ago.

sagegrouse
06-18-2011, 12:48 AM

Wow, if you ask the hardcore duke fans on this board, they'll probably say it feels MUCH lower, if only because the ones that say no tend to really stick out. Prior to last year, lots of people were saying things like "Duke doesn't get any top recruits anymore," forgetting that guys like Singler and Henderson were very highly rated.

Anyways, my guess is that it's closer to 25-50%, but others who are more in the know could better speculate. Coach K is obviously very selective about who he offers, but you also need to have contingency plans and that means putting out multiple offers.

We could do a study of the yield, but it would have some problems.

First, Duke doesn't make offers to players, I expect, unless there is some expressed interest from the player. This fact could overstate success.
Second, Duke's yield in high-profile recruitments could be as low as 25% (Barnes, Austin, Monroe, Patterson, etc.).
Third, Duke's apparent yield on "early commitments" appears to be very high, and some of these players are as good or better than the high-profile recruiting battles (Singler, Scheyer, Nolan). It's just the long, strung-out processes that get the ink and the blogs excited.
Fourth, the academic side of recruiting and admissions is a complicating factor, and Duke will never say, "The kid couldn't hack it academically." So, some of the apparent losses may reflect school decisions, not recruit decisions.

Good question.

sagegrouse

Devilsfan
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
#4 seems like we should be paid a finders fee from schools like uconn and ky.

Class of '94
06-18-2011, 04:54 PM
According to this link (http://www.nationofblue.com/rodney-purvis-says-kentucky-louisville-out-picture-7921/?utm_source=Nation+of+Blue&utm_medium=NOB), Purvis says he's down to Duke, NC State and Missouri. As of now, at least, it looks like Kentucky and Louisville are out of the picture. (And I'd have to feel good about our chances...)

Based on the reasons Purvis gave in the link for dropping KY and Louisville, I would think State would be the school he ultimately chooses since he would not have competition for PT in the backcourt at State as well as being the main focal point of that team,

dukeballboy88
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I think Purvis has to be looking at the way K handled the Irving situation and hopefully he day dreams and sees himself get called first in next weeks draft when KI's name gets called. I dont think his quickest way to the NBA is NC State and i think thats what alot top talent looks at these days.

Philawolf
06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
We could do a study of the yield, but it would have some problems.

First, Duke doesn't make offers to players, I expect, unless there is some expressed interest from the player. This fact could overstate success.
Second, Duke's yield in high-profile recruitments could be as low as 25% (Barnes, Austin, Monroe, Patterson, etc.).
Third, Duke's apparent yield on "early commitments" appears to be very high, and some of these players are as good or better than the high-profile recruiting battles (Singler, Scheyer, Nolan). It's just the long, strung-out processes that get the ink and the blogs excited.
Fourth, the academic side of recruiting and admissions is a complicating factor, and Duke will never say, "The kid couldn't hack it academically." So, some of the apparent losses may reflect school decisions, not recruit decisions.

Good question.

sagegrouse

Yeah, I recognize there would be problem with a yield calculation. With the exception of point four it would seem that these would be universal issues across all schools. It'd be interesting to see the yields of various programs. I might take it on as a side project. Anyway, it appears that our new coaching staff is taking a shotgun approach to offers, which would certainly hurt our yield, but given that all the offers are with much higher rated recruits than our previous staff, perhaps it will work out better.

CarmenWallaceWade
06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/19/1283888/purvis-not-nervous.html

It appears the addition of Capel to the staff is already making waves.

DUKE:
The key word for Purvis now in recruiting seems to be "relationships." He said he calls new Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel almost every day and is getting to know Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski and assistants Chris Collins and Steve Wojciechowski.

STATE:
Purvis said new N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried and his assistants are "really good guys" who realize he is trying to build relationships with them.

MISSOURI:
Although Purvis said he didn't have a great connection with Frank Haith before he left Miami for Missouri, they are "moving forward" with their relationship now, Purvis said.

SeattleIrish
06-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Hard to read that and not think positively about Duke's chances. Of course, one quote doesn't recruitment make, but it certainly looks good. Was Capel recruiting him to Oklahoma before?

s.i.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/19/1283888/purvis-not-nervous.html

It appears the addition of Capel to the staff is already making waves.

DUKE:
The key word for Purvis now in recruiting seems to be "relationships." He said he calls new Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel almost every day and is getting to know Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski and assistants Chris Collins and Steve Wojciechowski.

STATE:
Purvis said new N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried and his assistants are "really good guys" who realize he is trying to build relationships with them.

MISSOURI:
Although Purvis said he didn't have a great connection with Frank Haith before he left Miami for Missouri, they are "moving forward" with their relationship now, Purvis said.

Greg_Newton
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Hard to read that and not think positively about Duke's chances. Of course, one quote doesn't recruitment make, but it certainly looks good. Was Capel recruiting him to Oklahoma before?

s.i.

I would put more weight into Mark Watson's recent comment that (paraphrased), "Until something changes, Purvis is a Pack lean."

I certainly think we've got a good shot - and the ~8 months he'll probably take before deciding is an eternity in recruiting - but I personally don't believe we're leading at the moment. Seems like overcrowding is a real concern to him, even though I think he'd bring a completely unique (and needed) dynamic to our 2012-2013 team and get plenty of PT and exposure.

watzone
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry! That was a bad link. Here is the correct one for Purvis video - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/rodney-purvis-talks-recruiting/

magjayran
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
My man is coooooooooooountry.

Philawolf
07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Is that good for Duke's chances?

I think its gotta help NC State's chances, as right now Gott is undefeated at NC State. If he waited until February, Gott certainly won't be undefeated.

jimsumner
07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Is that good for Duke's chances?

I think its gotta help NC State's chances, as right now Gott is undefeated at NC State. If he waited until February, Gott certainly won't be undefeated.

But he also doesn't have a win at State. So, his winning percentage in Raleigh is .000. :)

Philawolf
07-09-2011, 04:26 PM
^Good call, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it that way. :)

akhan786
07-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Per Rodney Purvis's Twitter:

TIRED OF PEOPLE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH, DUKE UNIVERSITY IS LEADER AT THIS POINT !!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/rpurvis_44

It seems like the young man is very adamant about who leads for his recruitment.

Win for us :D

BD80
07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Per Rodney Purvis's Twitter:

TIRED OF PEOPLE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH, DUKE UNIVERSITY IS LEADER AT THIS POINT !!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/rpurvis_44

It seems like the young man is very adamant about who leads for his recruitment.

Win for us :D

Maybe he will move up his announcement to next week instead of next month! :D

watzone
07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Tweets can be a bit sketchy. He's removed said tweet.

Philawolf
07-10-2011, 01:43 AM
But he also doesn't have a win at State. So, his winning percentage in Raleigh is .000. :)

Now that I think about it his winning percentage is actually undefined as 0/0 is not 0. However, it looks like he is trailing K in the Purvis sweepstakes.

akhan786
07-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Tweets can be a bit sketchy. He's removed said tweet.

Do you think his account was hacked?

epoulsen
07-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Do you think his account was hacked?

Doubt it, as he had a follow up tweet which suggested he posted it out of frustration. At least thats how I read it. That tweet aside I'd say Duke and State are still neck and neck for him

Greg_Newton
07-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Remember when Kyrie kept insisted on twitter than he had NOT committed to Duke and he was still deciding?

These are 17 year-old kids who often have the opportunity to make their first appearance on national television if the handle their recruitment PR right. Not saying I agree with this kind of strategy, but I can't really blame 'em for it either. And if I had to put money on it, I'd say the tweet was more about that than it was an honest confession of where things stand. But who knows.

As backwards as it seems, I tend to listen to the rumblings about what is said behind closed doors over what the recruits themselves say publicly these days...

licc85
07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Wow, I just watched some video on this kid for the first time. Does anyone else get flashes of D-Wade? If I didn't know it was someone else, I woulda sworn I was watching Wade's high school mix tapes. Been awhile since I saw a 6'3" kid who can get to the rim that easily. Very nice court vision and passing skills too, he's got the full package.

gam7
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, I just watched some video on this kid for the first time. Does anyone else get flashes of D-Wade? If I didn't know it was someone else, I woulda sworn I was watching Wade's high school mix tapes. Been awhile since I saw a 6'3" kid who can get to the rim that easily. Very nice court vision and passing skills too, he's got the full package.

Yes. Shabazz made this Purvis-Wade comparison about a year ago around the time that they were saying they were a package deal for college.

jimsumner
07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Remember when Kyrie kept insisted on twitter than he had NOT committed to Duke and he was still deciding?

These are 17 year-old kids who often have the opportunity to make their first appearance on national television if the handle their recruitment PR right. Not saying I agree with this kind of strategy, but I can't really blame 'em for it either. And if I had to put money on it, I'd say the tweet was more about that than it was an honest confession of where things stand. But who knows.

As backwards as it seems, I tend to listen to the rumblings about what is said behind closed doors over what the recruits themselves say publicly these days...

Teenagers spend ten seconds tweeting the first thing that pops into their heads and adults spend hours parsing every phrase.

A curious world.

tommy
07-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Buried at the bottom of another thread tonight is the very knowledgeable Watzone's simple, unadorned statement that we are no longer recruiting Purvis. My reaction is WHAT??? It seems like we've been all over this kid (who appears to have "major star" written all over him), for the second time mind you, we very recently seemed very much in the running for him, and now we've backed off? Why? Sounds like something strange has gone on here. Anybody with knowledge?

El_Diablo
07-16-2011, 11:20 AM
From the other thread:

Maybe they are still in with him, but they did not watch him during the Peach Jam. I think it is a crunch situation and the offer to Jones speaks too.

But I don't really understand how there is a scholarship crunch, or at least a crunch that was not already known months ago when we landed Rasheed. If no one leaves school early, we still have one remaining scholarship spot for 2012, but it would seem a little silly to pass on Purvis entirely on the off-chance that Rivers decides to return for a sophomore season. But maybe the staff is truly prioritizing getting two big men (of Parker, McGary, Ellis, Poythress, etc) in 2012 rather than a big man and another guard.

Or maybe the "crunch" Mark mentioned is with the staff's time. With the start of team practice, perhaps the staff decided to focus their recruiting resources elsewhere during the Peach Jam since they have already seen Purvis and can see him more in the future due to proximity?

GopherBlue
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
...or could it be that the staff already has an idea what RP plans to announce in Aug, and (positive or negative) is better off spending limited time in pursuit of other targets this month?

Is there still a scholarship offer?

watzone
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Firstly, Rodney Purvis is a great kid and player that has a bright future. Second, I have to save the bulk of the information for members and some things are better discussed in private forum settings. I was at the Peach Jam from end to end and I never saw the Duke staff take in a CP3 game. I mean, yes, they are recruiting Pinson but with him being 2014, well, that's a long ways off and not an immediate priority. Duke has two true PG's on the roster and Rasheed Sulaimon coming in and they just offered another WG in Jones. Then there are potential rule changes at play. I think with the information I just provided one should see the picture with concerns to their roster and needs. With the Olympics coming up, Coach is getting his work in with underclassmen for he will not be on the recruiting trail as much next season. Recruiting is a fickle thing ... it's aways good to keep that in mind. A side note is that Purvis did hang with Sulaimon and Jones a bit. I have a pic of that lying around aomewhere. LJ Rose was in the clan as well and he grew up loving Duke but the Devils have PG's and like some future guys at that position.

ThePublisher
07-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info Watzone. I'm gathering that K has some inside info about the new CBA and Rivers will be around for 2 years. That puts us tight on scholarships for 2012 and we really need a big, especially if Mason jumps to the NBA. I still don't completely get it, I mean Purvis is super talented and to have him for two years would be excellent.
Especially knowing he has/had us as his top pick for the moment. Now we'll probably be playing against him for his year/2 years at State. Hum...

jimsumner
07-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info Watzone. I'm gathering that K has some inside info about the new CBA and Rivers will be around for 2 years. That puts us tight on scholarships for 2012 and we really need a big, especially if Mason jumps to the NBA. I still don't completely get it, I mean Purvis is super talented and to have him for two years would be excellent.
Especially knowing he has/had us as his top pick for the moment. Now we'll probably be playing against him for his year/2 years at State. Hum...

I'd be surprised if the CBA is a factor. Even if it's changed, current college players likely will be grandfathered in to the old CBA, allowing this year's freshmen to go to the NBA following the season.

Should they be so inclined. And assuming there's an NBA to jump to. :)

Gorilla
07-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Watz do u have info that duke stopped recruiting him or just basing off the fact that you didn't see anyone at his game? Just opinion but duke has seen him enough to know what they are dealing with.

ThePublisher
07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I'd be surprised if the CBA is a factor. Even if it's changed, current college players likely will be grandfathered in to the old CBA, allowing this year's freshmen to go to the NBA following the season.

Then what would "there are potential rule changes at play" mean?

yancem
07-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Jim, I'ver hear other people say this and I admit that it makes a certain amount of sense but the new rule (assuming there will be one) has to go into effect at some point and neither the nba or the player's union owe anything to the high school class of 2011. So if the nba wants kids to wait 2 years then why not start immediately?

The one negative side effect of the rule change would be a weak draft year because many of the top players would have to wait a year. But many of the top players in the 2010 class decided to return for a second year because of the impending lockout so if the rule went into effect immediately the 2012 draft would go from strong to weak but it wouldn't be nearly as weak as 2013 would be if it didn't effect the 2011 class. Just a thought.

MarkD83
07-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I am not sure the "weakness or strenght" of 2012 and 2013 would change all that much. There are plenty of players who will be finishing or have finished their sophmore years that are eligible for the draft in 2012. For example, if the CBA requires 2 years in college than folks like Harrison Barnes are eligible. The only thing you do to the 2012 draft is eliminate the incoming college freshman from the 2012 draft. That would inlcude only a handful of players.

yancem
07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I am not sure the "weakness or strenght" of 2012 and 2013 would change all that much. There are plenty of players who will be finishing or have finished their sophmore years that are eligible for the draft in 2012. For example, if the CBA requires 2 years in college than folks like Harrison Barnes are eligible. The only thing you do to the 2012 draft is eliminate the incoming college freshman from the 2012 draft. That would inlcude only a handful of players.

Well, that was my point. If you grandfather the 2011 class then they would enter the draft next year making it a very strong draft. If you don't grandfather them you would still have Barnes, Sullinger, Jones, Henson and others that didn't declare this year. The difference is if you grandfather the 2011 class, all of those guys and the top 2011 players enter the draft next year while the 2012 class wouldn't be eligible for the 2013 draft so that years draft would consist primarily of upper class men who weren't able to leave earlier. Hence the 2013 draft would be very weak.

Slackerb
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone else hearing that Duke is no longer recruiting Purvis?

-bdbd
07-18-2011, 04:01 PM

The market tends to correct for these things too. If a draft is perceived a relatively weak, then that encourages OTHER eligible players, who might otherwise have passed, to test the waters (given their increased payday prospects). :rolleyes:

ThePublisher
07-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Anyone else hearing that Duke is no longer recruiting Purvis?

That seems to be the word on the St. but I don't see any solid evidence except that Duke didn't watch Purivs at the Peach Jam. The possibilities are endless with this as Duke has seen him play plenty before and could just be focusing his recruiting on 2013.
From what I've gathered, things that Watzone says are generally good as gold. He says we are no longer involved with Purivs, but you need to be a Bluedevilnation premium member to really know the story. The rest of us are in the dark for now.

gam7
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
That seems to be the word on the St. but I don't see any solid evidence except that Duke didn't watch Purivs at the Peach Jam. The possibilities are endless with this as Duke has seen him play plenty before and could just be focusing his recruiting on 2013.
From what I've gathered, things that Watzone says are generally good as gold. He says we are no longer involved with Purivs, but you need to be a Bluedevilnation premium member to really know the story. The rest of us are in the dark for now.

The evidence to which everyone has referred is all circumstantial, and in my view, not very persuasive (although I am not a member of BDN premium). I don't know where on the "street" you heard this, but until I see something published to the contrary, I see no reason to write off Purvis.

chrisheery
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Purvis is a top 10 talent. When was the last time you heard of a school not watching a single game of a high level recruit like that even though they werein the same building? You can try to come up with a scenario in which Duke is still recruiting Purvis, but it seems unlikely. I also doubt it was that they had seen enough of him. They watched almost all of Sheed's ganes and he is already committed. If Duke still wanted Purvis, they would have watched his games, IMO.

airowe
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
1) Duke watched one of Purvis' games, according to one of his coaches.

2) There are many ways to "recruit" a player. Sometimes it's better to just tell the kid they are welcome and let them realize if they want to be a part of the program or not. Duke is stacked in the backcourt for the foreseeable future.

Purvis is a hell of a talent, but he's not in the Kyrie/Austin/Shabazz category. He'll be in college for at least a couple of years if he's smart. Duke has bigger (as in size) fish to fry in the 2012 class.

Philawolf
07-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Perhaps its the NC State fan in me, but I foresee NC State appearing to be a leader, then Purvis putting on the Duke hat.

licc85
07-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Purvis is a hell of a talent, but he's not in the Kyrie/Austin/Shabazz category. He'll be in college for at least a couple of years if he's smart. Duke has bigger (as in size) fish to fry in the 2012 class.

Really?? To me, he feels like a definite 1 and done . . . he's got an NBA ready body, crazy athleticism and his potential is through the roof. I think that alone is enough to draft him in the lottery.

Duke of Nashville
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Perhaps its the NC State fan in me, but I foresee NC State appearing to be a leader, then Purvis putting on the Duke hat.

Things may have changed since the Peach Jam. I wish I had the resources to prescribe to Blue Devil Nation, but Purvis tweeted himself that Duke was the leader. I'll go with what Watzone has told us in that Duke is no longer recruiting Purvis.

If there is any other place I'd like to see Purvis land it would be at NCST. Good luck to y'all he sounds like a hell of a talent.

licc85
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
My question is, where does he even fit into our rotation if does come for 1 year? After Austin leaves, Seth and Andre will probably be our starting guards. I can't see even someone as good as RP coming in and taking the starting 2 guard spot away from a senior Dawkins. If he comes off the bench, he will compete for minutes with Rasheed and Quinn, who are going to be the staples of our future back court. I think both RP and the Duke staff took a look at the situation, and realized that he's probably done after a year, and the best situation for him is to go to a place where he could start immediately and be the focal point of the team, instead of coming off the bench at Duke and depriving Quinn and Rasheed precious experience.

Look, I'd be thrilled if the guy came to Duke, he's a NBA player, and the more guys we put in the NBA, the better. But is it really in our best interests as far as team chemistry and development of the guys who are going to stick around? I dunno, maybe it's better in the long run for all parties involved if he does go to NC state.

airowe
07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Really?? To me, he feels like a definite 1 and done . . . he's got an NBA ready body, crazy athleticism and his potential is through the roof. I think that alone is enough to draft him in the lottery.

Rodney is a 2-3 year player in college if he's smart about it. The State staff seems to be telling him what you think though.

gam7
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM

He doesn't appear to have an NBA-ready body in the highlights I've seen. He does have potential and athleticism though.

Rodney is a 2-3 year player in college if he's smart about it. The State staff seems to be telling him what you think though.

This would be consistent with the player to whom Purvis is most often compared, Dwayne Wade. Wade was at Marquette for three years but played two.

Philawolf
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Any chance that Gott and co, actually believe he will be ready to go pro after one year?

Still not sure I'm falling for this rope a dope recruiting strategy. Until he plays his first game for a team other than Duke, I won't believe this, oh we just stopped recruiting him business.

ricks68
07-20-2011, 01:25 AM
A point of information for the new posters that have neen appearing on this thread questioning what Watzone stated about Duke no longer recruiting Purvis: Whatever you are, or are not, reading into any tweets or other questionable sources, is immaterial. If Watzone says we are no longer recruiting Purvis, we are no longer recruiting Purvis. (Now, maybe this could change, but if Watzone says at this time we are not, then we are not.) Word.

ricks

Greg_Newton
07-20-2011, 02:08 AM
At some point, we've gone through the process with this kid twice; we know everything there possibly is to know about him, and he us. We could use a talent like him than can attack the rim, but will be fine without him. He would thrive in our system and love to play for Duke in his ideal scenario, but a backlog of guards and other practical considerations may mean it's not in the cards.

I would guess it's less than Duke's giving him the cold shoulder and more that while both parties have a great, honest relationship, circumstances simply may dictate that he end up elsewhere.

I think he knows that the staff likes him, and that if he feels so inclined, he'd be welcomed in Durham with open arms. But at the same time, I think there's a mutual understanding that there are legitimate issues to consider, and that he'll have a good relationship with K regardless.

And honestly, I'd much prefer a kid be mature and do things this way than play up the whole circus and tell staffs what they want to hear. No harm, no foul, I'll pull for him wherever he ends up.

burns15
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
A point of information for the new posters that have neen appearing on this thread questioning what Watzone stated about Duke no longer recruiting Purvis: Whatever you are, or are not, reading into any tweets or other questionable sources, is immaterial. If Watzone says we are no longer recruiting Purvis, we are no longer recruiting Purvis. (Now, maybe this could change, but if Watzone says at this time we are not, then we are not.) Word.

ricks

The man speaks the truth. If you pick only one person on this site from who you will believe everything they write as the complete truth, Watzone is your man. I have never seen him be wrong, ever

RoyalBlue08
07-20-2011, 11:46 AM

This may seem like a little overly critical, but there are no more definite 1 and dones. The NBA is on a long lockout and I don't think anyone has a clear idea of what the next CBA might look like. I think a 2 and done rule is a definite possibility. I think this is important to keep in mind when it comes to recruiting over the next few years. (Also important to keep in mind if you are assuming the Rivers will be gone after 1 year.)

Newton_14
07-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Dave Telep weighed in on the Duke recruitment this morning, indicating that the 2 have parted ways. So this is yet another source on the matter.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/9884831/

From the article:

Telep says that Missouri is also firmly in the mix for Purvis, while the player and Duke University have seemed to go in a different directions in recent weeks. "I think NC State is fully committed to recruiting Rodney, and he's going to be a major target with a good chance of ending up in the Triangle," Telep said.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
The man speaks the truth. If you pick only one person on this site from who you will believe everything they write as the complete truth, Watzone is your man. I have never seen him be wrong, ever
OK, let's not go overboard! He's not perfect, toe be toetally honest, if you catch my drift... ;) His information is only as good as his source.

Devilsfan
07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
The "Abe Linclon" of inside recruiting information?

SupaDave
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM

lmao!! You might want to go read his Harrison Barnes stuff...

SupaDave
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Additionally, might Coach K be throwing NC State a bone? Seems likely... (think of all the talk of bringing the ACC back, this would bring NC State a few giant steps up)

yancem
07-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing but I think that there was some pretty intentional deception (if not out and out lies) from the Barnes camp that led to Watzone misjudging that case. I think that many of us starting seeing the writing on the wall a few weeks before Skype Gate but then again, I don't think any of us were privy to the sources that were leading Watzone to the wrong conclusion either.

For the most part, I think that he has a solid of information as can be had when it comes to the ever shifting minds of high school recruits.

chrisheery
07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Could someone quote a post from Watzone that said "Harrison Barnes will attend Duke" definitively? I don't remember him ever saying that. I remember him saying he thought Duke was in good shape, which it seems Duke was. Harrison Barnes clearly had some intent behind his deception and while Mark indicated that Duke was in good shape, he knew the same thing the coaches knew. If someone can find a post where he says outright that HB would be at Duke, I'll be amazed.

davekay1971
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Additionally, might Coach K be throwing NC State a bone? Seems likely... (think of all the talk of bringing the ACC back, this would bring NC State a few giant steps up)

I can't imagine Coach K stepping away from Purvis merely to give a conference rival the opportunity to land the kid. While K probably wouldn't pull a Roy and recruit a kid merely to try to keep him away from a conference rival, K isn't about to take his foot off the gas in terms of giving his own program the best possible chance to win.

From everything we've seen of K in the last 30 years, two things about his character seem set in stone. Number 1, he's got as much desire to win/beat you as anyone in the game. Number 2, he clearly feels he has a responsibility to put his kids in the best possible position to succeed. Giving away a talented recruit to help State would violate both those character traits. If he's backed off of Purvis, it's either because he doesn't think Purvis is going to help Duke win (doubtful), or he's got good info that Duke doesn't have much chance landing the kid (more likely).

SupaDave
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
I can't imagine Coach K stepping away from Purvis merely to give a conference rival the opportunity to land the kid. While K probably wouldn't pull a Roy and recruit a kid merely to try to keep him away from a conference rival, K isn't about to take his foot off the gas in terms of giving his own program the best possible chance to win.

From everything we've seen of K in the last 30 years, two things about his character seem set in stone. Number 1, he's got as much desire to win/beat you as anyone in the game. Number 2, he clearly feels he has a responsibility to put his kids in the best possible position to succeed. Giving away a talented recruit to help State would violate both those character traits. If he's backed off of Purvis, it's either because he doesn't think Purvis is going to help Duke win (doubtful), or he's got good info that Duke doesn't have much chance landing the kid (more likely).

Or perhaps OTHER priorities (as noted by Airowe earlier...).

davekay1971
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Or perhaps OTHER priorities (as noted by Airowe earlier...).

Very true!

scottdude8
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I was a member of BDN during the Barnes recruitment specifically to follow that single recruitment. While Watzone never "explicitly" said he was coming do Duke, he made every indication that he was. Every article and post ended with something along the lines of "you can expect to see Barnes in a Duke uniform" or "all signs point to Duke" or something like that. After the Barnes recruitment, I stopped paying for BDN.

It's no fault of Watzone's, but the whole Barnes fiasco showed me personally that paying for recruiting info is one of the bigger wastes of your money you can find. The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself. All a premium sight can offer you is more informed speculations and guesses, nothing more.

Here ends the rant.

Jderf
07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself.

Even then, you can't be sure. Evidence: Tyler Adams, Harrison Barnes, Sean Livingston and, yes, Austin Rivers. And those are just a few recent Duke-related examples. In reality, you can never be sure until the recruit shows up on campus for their first semester of classes.

watzone
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM

I didn't realize that you were a member. I said positive things about Barnes for 95% of his recruitiment because it was at that time accurate to a T. The worm turned late in the game which I will go into detail about later to satisfy curriousity. My batting average is about .970 over the years for I do not go out on a limb with limited information. If you can find anyone better than that let me know and the only reason I say that is it seeemd your repsonse had a tinge of sarcasm. If a person has never been a member of my site, they simply cannot know what they are or are not missing. My sources are as solid as they could possibly be and that is achieved through trust and trust is earned and it is rare in the circles I am speaking of. I am not perfect and never claimed to be with regard to recruiting, but I feel you may be moving with partial information on the subject while at the same time not ackowlegeding the many things I have had right which far out weigh the rest. It was at this very site that I broke DeMarcus Nelson to Duke and I am thankful DBR gave me the opportunity to report for them and the site has my eternal respect. I have refined my game over the years and earned my spurs and I can assure you that you can generally bank on what I say. I have also willingly shared a lot of information here for there are a lot of great Duke fans posting here. If I misunderstood your quip, I appologize in advance.

watzone
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM

While Coach wants the ACC to catch up to Duke and UNC, he'd never concede a player such as Purvis to another school in that manner from my vantage of the situation. The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012. This made for a different situation.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis. Duke does not take back offers but they do what is best for them as does every school. I feel they like Rodney and his game but he doesn't fit as well with their plans at this point and he is a kid who expects to play right away.

Suppose there is a change of rules and Austin stays another year and Seth, Andre and others return. Keep in mind to, that Duke recruited Rodney as a PG for that is what he will play at the next level. But he has morphed into a shooting guard, something low on their list until, again, 2013 (see Jones offer).

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs and they just happen to be looking at one in Las Vegas as I type. And this is one not a guy on the tip of most fans tongue. Other than Tony Parker, Perry Ellis, Mitch McGary, they are involved until the end with Shabazz Muhammad which seemingly comes down to UCLA and Duke. At this time the UCLANS are the fave. In short, he is the only wing they still need or have interest in for this class.

Unlike Purvis as good as he is, Shabazz would start from day one anywhere. So, there is the difference. Purvis would have to get past Seth, Tyler, Quinn and a senior Dawkins to play.

The reason Duke stopped watching Purvis is that they feel the position is covered and they need bigs. There are no games going on and they are just looking out for what is best for the team which they always do. The priorities are clear. They want Parker and McGary and flat out need one of them. They may or may not offer Ellis and Poythress could sneak back in as may some other bigs. Ellis is considered a WF or just not a center or banger. They love how the 2013 class is shaping up and have no problem holding onto some scholarships for a loaded class.

As for recruiting, things can change on a dime but that is not the usual case and Harrison Barnes was a bit of an anomaly in that the percentage of these kind of things happening is by no means the norm.

FTR, most of this was not addressed to your comment and what you said is not that far fetched but not accurate in this case.

Kedsy
07-23-2011, 02:28 PM
The real deal is as follows -

Thanks, Watzone. Great stuff, as always.

watzone
07-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I was a member of BDN during the Barnes recruitment specifically to follow that single recruitment. While Watzone never "explicitly" said he was coming do Duke, he made every indication that he was. Every article and post ended with something along the lines of "you can expect to see Barnes in a Duke uniform" or "all signs point to Duke" or something like that. After the Barnes recruitment, I stopped paying for BDN.

It's no fault of Watzone's, but the whole Barnes fiasco showed me personally that paying for recruiting info is one of the bigger wastes of your money you can find. The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself. All a premium sight can offer you is more informed speculations and guesses, nothing more.

Here ends the rant.

The Barnes recruitment was a great source of frustration to many for Duke was all in and UNC won the battle at the midnight hour. Barnes even flew in to surprise Coach K for his birthday. I still have pics of Barnes adorned from head to toe in Duke garb.

Barnes led Duke on until the end. He allowed Coach Roy to come in after K's in home and the writing was on the wll from there. While I did not say Barnes to Duke was a sure thing, I did infer such for it was 100% true for 95% of his recruitment.

Once he met Jordan in Chapa Heeya, well, that was the difference in that his Mom was like a school girl with a crush and she loved him growing up. There is much more which I cannot share in public nor private forums and to me it is water under the bridge.

I decided that I could remain positive in this one for my batting average was such that I could take a hit. Like Duke, I was deeply involved from a coverage standpoint and Barnes used to seek me out for his stats to send his mom after he played.

I respect your opinion about pay sites, but think most feel differently from you. I think TDD, Devils Illustrated and Blue Devil Nation are all good sites and worthy of some coin, but do think my staff does it better.

As a member over a years time at any of the 3 is simply like paying for a daily newspaper which specifically covers Duke. Recruiting is only a part of BDN Premium, for we take you in the locker room after games with special interviews from the National Championship and such.

You cannot judge any pay site unless you remain for an entire year which is the cost of an old school newspaper a day. And while there is outstanding info at DBR on recruiting, you must wade through a ton of inaccuracies and assertions to get the truth.

I cannot speak for TDD or Devils Illustrated, but feel John and Brian would agree with me that you get a lot of info on a daily basis. I am absolutely certain that members at my site get major bang for their buck and we are way ahead of the public curve in that our staff is really, really good at what they do.

Pay sites are not for everybody, but one prospect frustrating you is the real culprit and not the overall information over time. We take you way behind the scenes and a lot has been added since Barnes. I want to stop short of a major pitch, but members have 24 hours for a full refund and our retention rate is right up there.

You are very wrong in saying pay sites can only offer speculation or opinions for I get a lot of stuff from the proverbial horses mouth (so to speak). When I speculate I make it clear, when not, what I say is almost always accurate.

On the other hand, you are very accurate when saying nobody knows with 100% certainty where a player is going to go until he announces. But Barnes is not a reflection on the whole. And for the record, our motto is that we deal in facts not rumors and what I said of Barnes was true until the very end.

Again, I respect your opinion but feel it is not a good representation of what my site is about. I will say that the best public recruiting information is in this forum and think the best discussion is here as well and we link and encourage people to visit here.

One more thing, I do feel recruiting is a bit of a soap opera, but it's a good one and a most popular one. Recruitng threads at DBR are by far the most popular and that IMO says a lot.

Okay, I have had my say. Back to Rodney Purvis. And all opinions on anything is fair nut not necessarily accurate. I mean nobody is always on par.

jennja01
07-23-2011, 03:27 PM
While Coach wants the ACC to catch up to Duke and UNC, he'd never concede a player such as Purvis to another school in that manner from my vantage of the situation. The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012. This made for a different situation.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis. Duke does not take back offers but they do what is best for them as does every school. I feel they like Rodney and his game but he doesn't fit as well with their plans at this point and he is a kid who expects to play right away.

Suppose there is a change of rules and Austin stays another year and Seth, Andre and others return. Keep in mind to, that Duke recruited Rodney as a PG for that is what he will play at the next level. But he has morphed into a shooting guard, something low on their list until, again, 2013 (see Jones offer).

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs and they just happen to be looking at one in Las Vegas as I type. And this is one not a guy on the tip of most fans tongue. Other than Tony Parker, Perry Ellis, Mitch McGary, they are involved until the end with Shabazz Muhammad which seemingly comes down to UCLA and Duke. At this time the UCLANS are the fave. In short, he is the only wing they still need or have interest in for this class.

Unlike Purvis as good as he is, Shabazz would start from day one anywhere. So, there is the difference. Purvis would have to get past Seth, Tyler, Quinn and a senior Dawkins to play.

The reason Duke stopped watching Purvis is that they feel the position is covered and they need bigs. There are no games going on and they are just looking out for what is best for the team which they always do. The priorities are clear. They want Parker and McGary and flat out need one of them. They may or may not offer Ellis and Poythress could sneak back in as may some other bigs. Ellis is considered a WF or just not a center or banger. They love how the 2013 class is shaping up and have no problem holding onto some scholarships for a loaded class.

As for recruiting, things can change on a dime but that is not the usual case and Harrison Barnes was a bit of an anomaly in that the percentage of these kind of things happening is by no means the norm.

FTR, most of this was not addressed to your comment and what you said is not that far fetched but not accurate in this case.

Bear with me, I'm not experienced with the quote system.
Watzone, i'm confused. I think i might have read that wrong but have we NOT offered Ellis yet? I thought we offered him around a month ago? Also, do K and staff really think we have a good shot with Parker still? Thanks.

(mods feel free to move this to 2012 thread since it has nothing to do with Purvis)

epoulsen
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
This honestly looks like a good old fashioned case of "kill the messenger", which is most unfortunate and childish. I have never paid for any info I have received on this forum. I have paid for ESPN as part of my cable package though, and I don't think their analysts boast a track record anywhere near 95%. Now lets allow this thread to go the way of the Daniels recruitment thread and move on.

MarkD83
07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis.

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs.....

In most of these recruiting threads everyone tends to focus on the individual player and not the team make-up. We especially forget team make-up 2 to 3 years in the future.

Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year. That means that the front court for Duke would be Kelly and Marshall Plumlee. Rasheed S. is already arriving next year and if Shabazz decides to go to Duke, the addition of Purvis would fill out the recruiting class unless Rivers leaves. The year after Kelly graduates and then there is only Marshall Plumlee left in the front court. (I am not ignoring Josh I just think he is more of a small forward than a center.) Duke needs big men more than anything else.

While I want Duke to get every top player in every class you need a balance of talent to make a great team.

Greg_Newton
07-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Interesting. Thanks for your posts on this thread.

I'm still a little perplexed by the staff's reasoning though.

-I haven't heard any reason to believe that the new CBA would require current incoming freshmen (AR) to stay 2 years; rather, that any such clause would grandfather them in.

-Is Rodney really more of a pure SG than Curry or Sulaimon? I mean, the kid's been consistently racking up 6, 8, 10 assist games the last few weeks, no?

-Lastly, when I look at the likely roster of PG/SGs on our roster in 2012-2013 - Thornton, Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins and Curry (unless he graduates and moves on to the NBA, which, IMO, is not an insignificant possibility). Those are all great complementary players, but I don't see a guy in there that can break down the defense and penetrate the lane at will like a Nolan, Kyrie, or Austin (even when you include our SFs Murphy and Gbinije). What do we do when our offense stagnates, when our 3's aren't falling?

I just think Purvis would add a dynamic to our roster that we'll end up needing in certain games. But I recognize that the roster is crowded - and I'm certainly glad their making bigs the priority, especially the "need" for either Parker or McGary - and in K I trust.

jimsumner
07-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Duke definitely wants to bring in some size and almost certainly will bring in at least two players who can play inside.

Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year. That means that the front court for Duke would be Kelly and Marshall Plumlee.

But this seems overly alarmist to me. Kelly and Plumlee may be the only 5s but Hairston, Murphy and perhaps Gbinijie can play the 4. Hairston is up to 235 and Murphy is 6-8, 220. Playing one or both at the 4 would hardly be out of character for Duke.

MarkD83
07-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Duke definitely wants to bring in some size and almost certainly will bring in at least two players who can play inside.

But this seems overly alarmist to me. Kelly and Plumlee may be the only 5s but Hairston, Murphy and perhaps Gbinijie can play the 4. Hairston is up to 235 and Murphy is 6-8, 220. Playing one or both at the 4 would hardly be out of character for Duke.

Good point. But I like the options that Coach K has with 4 players that could be at the 4 or 5 position and then letting Hairston, Murphy and Gbinijie play at the 3 or 4 depending upon the team Duke is playing. That is why this year is looking very interesting. Duke could have very potent lineups with 3 players over 6' 11" on the floor or with no players taller than 6' 8" on the floor. Foul trouble also won't be much of an issue.

watzone
07-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Interesting. Thanks for your posts on this thread.

I'm still a little perplexed by the staff's reasoning though.

-I haven't heard any reason to believe that the new CBA would require current incoming freshmen (AR) to stay 2 years; rather, that any such clause would grandfather them in.

-Is Rodney really more of a pure SG than Curry or Sulaimon? I mean, the kid's been consistently racking up 6, 8, 10 assist games the last few weeks, no?

-Lastly, when I look at the likely roster of PG/SGs on our roster in 2012-2013 - Thornton, Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins and Curry (unless he graduates and moves on to the NBA, which, IMO, is not an insignificant possibility). Those are all great complementary players, but I don't see a guy in there that can break down the defense and penetrate the lane at will like a Nolan, Kyrie, or Austin (even when you include our SFs Murphy and Gbinije). What do we do when our offense stagnates, when our 3's aren't falling?

I just think Purvis would add a dynamic to our roster that we'll end up needing in certain games. But I recognize that the roster is crowded - and I'm certainly glad their making bigs the priority, especially the "need" for either Parker or McGary - and in K I trust.

I may not have the staff's reasoning down in the exact manner, but I'm close. Only they know all the reasons for the things they do.

You make a good point with concern to Purvis and the PG position. He's improved a whole lot in the last four months. In fact, he was one of the top two assist leaders at the recent Nike EYBL Peach Jam. He even dished 10 dimes in his first game, but most still feel he is a tweener. He is certainly capable of mastering the position.

As for Sulaimon, he's not a PG but has a sweet handle. And Curry? I think he may well start at the point. His situation is similar to Purvis but he's showed he can run a team when he has had to. Duke will have a lot of options with this seasons roster.

J.Blink
07-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year.

Why are people so convinced of this?

scottdude8
07-24-2011, 01:13 AM
The Barnes recruitment was a great source of frustration to many for Duke was all in and UNC won the battle at the midnight hour. Barnes even flew in to surprise Coach K for his birthday. I still have pics of Barnes adorned from head to toe in Duke garb.

Barnes led Duke on until the end. He allowed Coach Roy to come in after K's in home and the writing was on the wll from there. While I did not say Barnes to Duke was a sure thing, I did infer such for it was 100% true for 95% of his recruitment.

Once he met Jordan in Chapa Heeya, well, that was the difference in that his Mom was like a school girl with a crush and she loved him growing up. There is much more which I cannot share in public nor private forums and to me it is water under the bridge.

I decided that I could remain positive in this one for my batting average was such that I could take a hit. Like Duke, I was deeply involved from a coverage standpoint and Barnes used to seek me out for his stats to send his mom after he played.

I respect your opinion about pay sites, but think most feel differently from you. I think TDD, Devils Illustrated and Blue Devil Nation are all good sites and worthy of some coin, but do think my staff does it better.

As a member over a years time at any of the 3 is simply like paying for a daily newspaper which specifically covers Duke. Recruiting is only a part of BDN Premium, for we take you in the locker room after games with special interviews from the National Championship and such.

You cannot judge any pay site unless you remain for an entire year which is the cost of an old school newspaper a day. And while there is outstanding info at DBR on recruiting, you must wade through a ton of inaccuracies and assertions to get the truth.

I cannot speak for TDD or Devils Illustrated, but feel John and Brian would agree with me that you get a lot of info on a daily basis. I am absolutely certain that members at my site get major bang for their buck and we are way ahead of the public curve in that our staff is really, really good at what they do.

Pay sites are not for everybody, but one prospect frustrating you is the real culprit and not the overall information over time. We take you way behind the scenes and a lot has been added since Barnes. I want to stop short of a major pitch, but members have 24 hours for a full refund and our retention rate is right up there.

You are very wrong in saying pay sites can only offer speculation or opinions for I get a lot of stuff from the proverbial horses mouth (so to speak). When I speculate I make it clear, when not, what I say is almost always accurate.

On the other hand, you are very accurate when saying nobody knows with 100% certainty where a player is going to go until he announces. But Barnes is not a reflection on the whole. And for the record, our motto is that we deal in facts not rumors and what I said of Barnes was true until the very end.

Again, I respect your opinion but feel it is not a good representation of what my site is about. I will say that the best public recruiting information is in this forum and think the best discussion is here as well and we link and encourage people to visit here.

One more thing, I do feel recruiting is a bit of a soap opera, but it's a good one and a most popular one. Recruitng threads at DBR are by far the most popular and that IMO says a lot.

Okay, I have had my say. Back to Rodney Purvis. And all opinions on anything is fair nut not necessarily accurate. I mean nobody is always on par.

I appreciate the well-reasoned and thought out response, Watzone. I agree that pay-sites do offer more than just the recruiting stuff, but my problem has always been that you can get a majority (not all, but a lot) of the information on the pay-sites via a free-medium, even if it is a week or two later. To me that doesn't merit the sometimes exorbitant fees that these type of sites cost—I can personally wait a week to get the info or read it in a newspaper and save my 100 bucks. Regardless, I know you and BDN do a great job, and you guys do have the most accurate recruiting info of anywhere I've seen or heard of—it just isn't worth the price to me individually.

JasonEvans
07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Why are people so convinced of this?

I think most of us in the know have accepted for a while that Marshall would be one and done.

-Jason ;)

Greg_Newton
07-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Hmmm, K and Collins are apparently watching Purvis right now, as per the twittersphere. However, Pinson is also playing in the game, so it may just be a convenient coincidence...

watzone
07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Hmmm, K and Collins are apparently watching Purvis right now, as per the twittersphere. However, Pinson is also playing in the game, so it may just be a convenient coincidence...

They are watching Theo Pinson who plays on the same team.

Devilsfan
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Why would anyone want a one and done non-starter?

MChambers
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM

UNC won a national championship with one of those.

COYS
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
UNC won a national championship with one of those.

And Duke came really close to a championship with another.

airowe
07-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Who's one-and-done?

g-money
07-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Who's one-and-done?

I may be falling prey a jedi mind trick here...Airowe, weren't you implying earlier that Mr. Purvis has been hearing sweet nothings regarding the one-and-done scenario? Have circumstances changed?

Would love to see RP in Duke Blue if it's not too late.

El_Diablo
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Why on earth would it matter if he is a non-starter?

BD80
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM

If it doesn't matter, does that make the non-starter issue a non-starter?

devildeac
07-26-2011, 10:09 PM

If it doesn't matter, does that make the non-starter issue a non-starter?

Let's not start that now...

(:rolleyes:;))