PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul is a better human being than I am

JasonEvans
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I urge all of you to read this column by Rick Reilly (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820). It is about Paul's feelings toward the boys/men who killed his grandfather.

Paul said: "These guys were 14 and 15 years old [at the time], with a lot of life ahead of them. I wish I could talk to them and tell them, 'I forgive you. Honestly.' I hate to know that they're going to be in jail for such a long time. I hate it."

Whose heart has that much room?

It is a beautiful column. Full or humanity and genuine emotion. A must read!

--Jason "but the Atlanta Hawks decided they wanted Marvin Williams more than Chris Paul... smart" Evans

SuperTurkey
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I urge all of you to read this column by Rick Reilly (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820). It is about Paul's feelings toward the boys/men who killed his grandfather.

It is a beautiful column. Full or humanity and genuine emotion. A must read!

--Jason "but the Atlanta Hawks decided they wanted Marvin Williams more than Chris Paul... smart" Evans

Wow, that's really cool. I know a lot of people here tend to remember CP3 more for his time at Wake Forest -- particularly for his below the belt punch on Julius Hodge or his (from our perspective) petulance when Coach K had the immortal Patrick Davidson guard him.

This column is a good reminder that a few acts of a 19 year old aren't the best predictor of the kind of person they are or will become.

Channing
04-29-2011, 06:36 PM
I urge all of you to

--Jason "[U]but the Atlanta Hawks decided they wanted Marvin Williams more than Chris Paul... smart" Evans

Hey now ... Marvin Williams had a breakout 10 pt 2 rebound game against the Magic. Clearly he is trending up.

JimBD
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
The first couple of years Chris Paul was in New Orleans I tried to tell people on the Duke boards what Chris Paul meant to New Orleans. But most people were harshly judgmental based primarily on one "low blow" incident. They seemed to regard Chris Paul as a thug. Since he has been in New Orleans, he has not only been a superstar on the court, but a model team player and a model citizen, involved in an incredible number of charities, and has been very supportive of New Orleans and its people as the City tries to rebuild. He has in many instances been a spokesperson for the people of New Orleans. Chris Paul is a very physical basketball player, but he is not a thug. I have nothing but respect for Chris Paul as a basketball player and as a person.

magjayran
04-30-2011, 01:26 AM
As a player, I loved watching Chris Paul on the court as a freshman, got really tired of his antics as a sophomore (even before the low blow,) and gave him props as an NBA superstar.

I'm glad to see that he's matured into a really good person. A lot of people wouldn't and couldn't forgive the people that killed someone so close to him.

In a serious discussion on who he is I will have to acknowledge the person he's become. But when it comes down to basketball talk, I'll always go in on him for being a cheap shot nut puncher that never won anything.

All in good fun though.

SupaDave
04-30-2011, 10:51 AM
In a serious discussion on who he is I will have to acknowledge the person he's become. But when it comes down to basketball talk, I'll always go in on him for being a cheap shot nut puncher that never won anything.

All in good fun though.

Does an Olympic Gold Medal qualify as winning something?

JBDuke
04-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I was always under the impression that Paul was two distinctly different people. Off the court he was a prince of a human being - even before going to Wake. But on the court he was a trash-talking, low-blow-throwing jerk (albeit a supremely talented one). I've seen nothing of late to change that opinion.

SupaDave
04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I was always under the impression that Paul was two distinctly different people. Off the court he was a prince of a human being - even before going to Wake. But on the court he was a trash-talking, low-blow-throwing jerk (albeit a supremely talented one). I've seen nothing of late to change that opinion.

You're right JB and he's even admitted so himself (especially with the recent quote that he wouldn't care if it was his momma out there - he'd foul her too). As a little guy on the court sometimes you have to have that rattlesnake in you. I can recall MANY players hating how Mugsy Bogues used to get UNDER them and they thought he was very dirty at times too.

magjayran
04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Does an Olympic Gold Medal qualify as winning something?

I guess but I have decided to give credit to everyone else on that team instead.

Wander
04-30-2011, 10:42 PM

In fairness to the Hawks, everyone that year was talking about how Andrew Bogut or Marvin Williams had to be the #1 pick, with the other guy going second. There were no other choices in the public perception, and the Hawks would have been ridiculed at the time had they chosen Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

There's a lesson in there somewhere about conventional wisdom... but it's not something that was specific to Atlanta.

Duke: A Dynasty
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Chris Paul was my fav ACC pg that never went to Duke.... He is still my fav pg in the NBA today closely followed by D Will and D Rose.

verga
05-02-2011, 11:44 PM
for Chris to state his feelings about the murder but this was not a "let's throw a rock through our neighbors car windshield" . That's what 14/15 year old's do for thrills, these were low life murders, i don't care how old they were. todays society forgives just about everything but this is his way of dealing with it, so it's fine by me. Now back to Chris Paul the player, anyone who watched him play knows he was a thug with a sweet smile, let's not go overboard because he feels sorry for some kids.

Duke: A Dynasty
05-03-2011, 04:12 AM
for Chris to state his feelings about the murder but this was not a "let's throw a rock through our neighbors car windshield" . That's what 14/15 year old's do for thrills, these were low life murders, i don't care how old they were. todays society forgives just about everything but this is his way of dealing with it, so it's fine by me. Now back to Chris Paul the player, anyone who watched him play knows he was a thug with a sweet smile, let's not go overboard because he feels sorry for some kids.

PLays like a thug? I dont think so and that is very harsh. He plays with a little attitude and that makes him great and fun to watch.

4decadedukie
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Wisdom . . .