PDA

View Full Version : God's Gift to St.John's

JasonEvans
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Some stud Juco named God's Gift Achiuwa has committed to play basketball (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6443546) at St John's. I understand the religious passions of some folks, but the following paragraph made me chuckle.

God's Gift (20) is the third of six children born to Eunice and Donatus Achiuwa of Port Harcourt, Nigeria. He has one older brother, Promise, and two younger brothers, God's Will and Precious. He also has one older sister, Grace, and one younger sister, Peace.

-Jason "I mean, you could have gone with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and still shown your love of the bible" Evans

devildeac
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Some stud Juco named God's Gift Achiuwa has committed to play basketball (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6443546) at St John's. I understand the religious passions of some folks, but the following paragraph made me chuckle.

-Jason "I mean, you could have gone with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and still shown your love of the bible" Evans

I'm not sure Grace and/or Peace would have been happy going through life named after any of the first four books of the New Testament:rolleyes:. Now, Ruth, Rachel and Mary are nice names.

CameronBlue
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure Grace and/or Peace would have been happy going through life named after any of the first four books of the New Testament:rolleyes:. Now, Ruth, Rachel and Mary are nice names.

I'm still waiting for some television producer to launch Nimrod's Babble, pundits sitting around a table screaming at each other without understanding a word anyone else says....I guess that idea's a little worn out.

wilko
04-29-2011, 05:06 PM
My wife and I had a terrible time deciding what to name our 2nd son. When we left the hospital, with him we still didn't have agreeable options worked out. The nurses told us that they needed it back within x number of days or he would legally be named "Baby boy Wilko" ...

at least his parents filled out the paperwork. Gods Gift Achiuwa sounds better than Baby boy Achiuwa.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm still waiting for some television producer to launch Nimrod's Babble, pundits sitting around a table screaming at each other without understanding a word anyone else says....I guess that idea's a little worn out.

Watch CSPAN. It's been done.

Mike Corey
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
His real last name--"Bless You"--was omitted for some reason.

roywhite
04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Yikes, is St. John's still on future schedules?

The Devils don't do well against Deities. God Shammgod from Providence tore us up in the NCAA Tournament.

SupaDave
04-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Well they could have named them all George... :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0286040/bio

dyedwab
04-30-2011, 02:32 PM
There are headline writers at the New York Post and New York Daily News dancing in the street because of this news.

davekay1971
04-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Makes me think of Bill Cosby: Himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k

SupaDave
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Just thought I'd point out that God's Gift only managed 4 points today, 4 fouls, and 5 rebounds in today's loss. Thought it was cool we had a thread on him already.

wandalee
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
A student had a great sign today

"I hope God's Gift got a receipt"

One of the best signs I've seen in Cameron in a while

throatybeard
01-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Where is God Shammgod these days? He and Austin Croshere ate our lunch in 1997.

bluedevilfan1998
01-28-2012, 10:45 PM
A student had a great sign today

"I hope God's Gift got a receipt"

One of the best signs I've seen in Cameron in a while

Yes, that one was good. I think there's a picture of it on DukeBluePlanet. Another good one was the
sign against the Quakers that said "Turn the Quakers into oatmeal." :D

Verga3
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Very funny. Only thing is that we fail to to either understand or care what our posts communicate. A Nigerian minister and his wife have followed the same theme in naming their kids. If I were not so invested, I would hate Duke on this one. Stop. Now.

Cell-R
01-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Native, a regular poster on this board, dressed as Jesus and held a sign saying "No, I'M God's gift!"

I think it was easily the best sign/costume combo I've seen in Cameron since I've been here.

gep
01-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Very funny. Only thing is that we fail to to either understand or care what our posts communicate. A Nigerian minister and his wife have followed the same theme in naming their kids. If I were not so invested, I would hate Duke on this one. Stop. Now.

Thank you for your post. If I heard correctly, this is his given name. So as far as I'm concerned, this does not lend itself being like all of the other "name changes to attract attintion" crowd.

uh_no
01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Thank you for your post. If I heard correctly, this is his given name. So as far as I'm concerned, this does not lend itself being like all of the other "name changes to attract attintion" crowd.

Yes. The other kid's name's are like "hope" and "love"....while It's certainly fair to poke fun of it at cameron, its totally unacceptable to continue to ravage the guy on this board (after having a bad game) because his parents gave him a name which might be seen as narcissistic by some

SupaDave
01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I hardly think anyone has given the kid a hard time on this board. Not one disparaging thing has actually been said about HIM - or his NAME. In fact, it's such a unique name that I'm sure he's heard things a 1000 times worse. Imagine how many folks have thought he was playing around on applications and such. Truthfully, his name tells us exactly HOW his parents feel about him which is a pretty deep message to send. Not just all that, but the kid actually has some gifts and he's attending college for free.

Now it's be different if say, his mother already had a grown son named Allen Iverson and then turned around and named her newborn MISTER Allen Iverson. Oh wait...

PADukeMom
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
It is still better than changing your name to Metta Worl Peace.

Cameron
01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
If it is certainly "ok to poke fun of the kid in Cameron," then why is it unacceptable to do so on the Internet? That is not based in logic at all.

I personally don't care to poke fun at the kid for his name, and I certainly am not going to "disparage" him for it. With that said, if the kid's parents didn't want their child to be poked fun at, then they would have thought of a more subtle name than what essentially translates to Baby Jesus. It is true that these may be deeply religious people, and I am sure that they are, but when is the last time that a devout baptist named their kid Holy Ghost?

Let's just keep the good-humored nature of the posts above in perspective. Nobody here is throwing "God's Gift" into a pond of fire. Rather, just pointing out that the name is an odd choice. Like the name La-a (Ladasha).

uh_no
01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
If it is certainly "ok to poke fun of the kid in Cameron," then why is it unacceptable to do so on the Internet? That is not based in logic at all.

I personally don't care to poke fun at the kid for his name, and I certainly am not going to "disparage" him for it. With that said, if the kid's parents didn't want their child to be poked fun at, then they would have thought of a more subtle name than what essentially translates to Baby Jesus. It is true that these may be deeply religious people, and I am sure that they are, but when is the last time that a devout baptist named their kid Holy Ghost?

Let's just keep the good-humored nature of the posts above in perspective. Nobody here is throwing "God's Gift" into a pond of fire. Rather, just pointing out that the name is an odd choice. Like the name La-a (Ladasha).

because belittling him here is not going to help us win a basketball game...but then again, thinking about some of the other nastiness that is said about opposing players/coaches here, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised

gep
01-29-2012, 03:05 PM

I thought about this too. And, I certainly don't know at all, but I wonder if, when they named him, they had any thoughts that he may eventually go to the USA for school, sports, life... where such "poking fun" is essentially the norm. Maybe in his country, his name is accepted as is.

lilblue
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Did anybody else notice the announcer state that he and others will refer to him as Gift rather than God's Gift, just thought it was a strange PC thing to say/ bring up!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Did anybody else notice the announcer state that he and others will refer to him as Gift rather than God's Gift, just thought it was a strange PC thing to say/ bring up!
Are you talking about on TV? In Cameron, it was God'sgift Achuwa goes to the line or replaces whoever.

Lunchab1es
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
because belittling him here is not going to help us win a basketball game...but then again, thinking about some of the other nastiness that is said about opposing players/coaches here, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised

I don't think anything posted or not posted here helps us win basketball games. Not even the blue-white scrimmage. I don't think anyone here has posted anything worth chastising for; there has been nothing over-the-top, just a few jokes about a highly unusual name (I mean, it's possessive! Come on now!)

@lilblue
Yeah I heard the announcers speak for a moment about how they were only referring to him as "Gift" but can't remember the preceding rationale. I just remember it was much later in the game than I was expecting for them to broach the topic. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

PS- Natives costume was awesome!

lilblue
01-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Are you talking about on TV? In Cameron, it was God'sgift Achuwa goes to the line or replaces whoever.

Yeah it was on TV, it was late in the game and seemed a bit out of place and strange to bring up at all.

Kfanarmy
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Yikes, is St. John's still on future schedules?

The Devils don't do well against Deities.

HMMMM...maybe the devils aren't supposed to do well against Deities....

allenmurray
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Actually it would probably make sense for announcers to refer to all players by their last names only (unless they are Plumlees, or when there are games with two players who share a common last name). It would avoid the far-too-frequent butchering of the pronunciation of foreign or unusual first names.