PDA

View Full Version : Battier and Dan Patrick

fitimi1
04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Once again, he makes one feel proud to be part of the Duke family......(Duke Forever)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184848/1/index.htm

It has been said elsewhere, but again, congratulations to the Battier family. We are so very happy to have Eloise Susan join the Duke family.

Lord Ash
04-28-2011, 07:03 AM
And THIS is why Shane is the greatest Duke Blue Devil of All Time:

DP: Will you decorate the nursery with Memphis colors or Duke colors?

SB: It's always Duke. Duke is forever. This is my legacy. When I'm old, fat and gray, people won't remember me for my NBA career as much as they will for my Duke career. Blue-and-white.

4decadedukie
04-28-2011, 07:49 AM

SB: It's always Duke. Duke is forever. This is my legacy. When I'm old, fat and gray, people won't remember me for my NBA career as much as they will for my Duke career. Blue-and-white.

. . . and it's reciprocal; Shane will forever remain both a Duke Basketball icon AND a beacon for all that is best in intercollegiate sports. He personifies the concepts of "student athlete,""gentleman scholar," and “teammate.” I would be extremely pleased if my grandchildren successfully emulated Shane in only a few of his exceptional character traits, especially his integrity. Great players are rare, great leaders are even more uncommon, and those few individuals who combine all this with intelligence, ethics, self-discipline, selflessness, and teamwork are truly extraordinary.

weezie
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
We are so very happy to have Eloise Susan join the Duke family.

They are welcome to nickname her "weezie" if they like! :D

Class of '94
04-28-2011, 11:15 AM

There is a guy by the name of Grant Hill that I think deserves this title. G Hill is a virtual Duke ambassador within the NBA and everywhere he goes; and a person that Shane looked up to while growing up.

But not to derail this thread any further, I agree that Shane has been a very special player, leader and person for Duke.

Lord Ash
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
There is a guy by the name of Grant Hill that I think deserves this title. G Hill is a virtual Duke ambassador within the NBA and everywhere he goes; and a person that Shane looked up to while growing up.

But not to derail this thread any further, I agree that Shane has been a very special player, leader and person for Duke.

Grant is a GREAT... in my opinion the second greatest Devil of All-Time... but Shane's position as the Best Ever is according to DBR itself!

Check it out... I am STILL so thankful to Jason for running this... most fun set of threads ever! (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4440-Favorite-Player-Poll-THE-FINALS!!!-Battier-vs.-Dawkins&highlight=blue+devil)

Heck, Shane himself posted to say thank you:)

Class of '94
04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Grant is a GREAT... in my opinion the second greatest Devil of All-Time... but Shane's position as the Best Ever is according to DBR itself!

Check it out... I am STILL so thankful to Jason for running this... most fun set of threads ever! (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4440-Favorite-Player-Poll-THE-FINALS!!!-Battier-vs.-Dawkins&highlight=blue+devil)

Heck, Shane himself posted to say thank you:)

Got it.....Thanks for providing this DBR link. That thread brought up some interesting points. While I think Shane is great, I would still argue for Grant; but you can't go wrong with either person as the Best Ever (although by the DBR pole, Johnny Dawkins came in second place). And Shane is first class all the way.

Lord Ash
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, while I personally think that, if I had to pick ONE, I'd pick Shane (based purely on his three NDPOY awards) Grant Hill is the absolute and total man... I just wanted an excuse to bring up Jason's award winning work on that contest from back a bit:)

I think that Shane and Grant met in the semis, which everyone felt was more like a Finals matchup...

Here is a link to a bunch of those threads (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/search.php?searchid=82136)... they were great fun. Thanks AGAIN to Jason for all the work that went into those... the prelim round posts covered every Duke player in history!

MChambers
04-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Got it.....Thanks for providing this DBR link. That thread brought up some interesting points. While I think Shane is great, I would still argue for Grant; but you can't go wrong with either person as the Best Ever (although by the DBR pole, Johnny Dawkins came in second place). And Shane is first class all the way.
Would that be a reference to Coach K, or Wojo, or even Taymon Domzalski?

Class of '94
04-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Would that be a reference to Coach K, or Wojo, or even Taymon Domzalski?

LOL!!! Sorry about that. I meant "poll" and didn't catch it until it was too late to change it. Trust me on this, if I was referring to Coach K, it would be something like "The Great One". ;)