PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Harrow transferring

jimsumner
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Bad news for the Pack.

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042611aac.html

SupaDave
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
He's the kind of kid that pops up at VCU...

Kedsy
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Real shame for State. Too bad.

BlueDevilBaby
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
And a couple of their mascots were poisoned with antifreeze by some dolt. Not a good day.

gam7
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Bad news for the Pack.

Jim, is it common for a school to refuse to release a player to another school in the same conference? And, why does a school need to "release" a player anyway?

jimsumner
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Jim, is it common for a school to refuse to release a player to another school in the same conference? And, why does a school need to "release" a player anyway?

It's very common.

Jderf
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
It really is too bad. I liked him as a player and thought he could have matured into a great ACC point guard. Oh well. Best of luck.

MChambers
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm very sorry to see this. I thought he'd have a strong four year career in Raleigh.

Man, the ACC will not be strong next year.

loldevilz
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I really don't think this is as bad as it seems for state. Harrow never really proved he was capable of being an ACC point guard anyways and Lorenzo Brown will do a fine job next year running the team.

They will however need to find some more bodies as Harrow and Uchebo are gone.

Duke: A Dynasty
04-26-2011, 05:20 PM
I really don't think this is as bad as it seems for state. Harrow never really proved he was capable of being an ACC point guard anyways and Lorenzo Brown will do a fine job next year running the team.

I was thinking the opposite. I was not looking forward to playing against this kid by the time he was a junior or senior. Brown is not a pg either he is more of a 2 guard.

Gthoma2a
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
He always seemed like a good kid. I hate to see him go, but I hope it works out for him.

jimsumner
04-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Have to agree to disagee. I follow State pretty closely and IMO Harrow is much more capable of being a top-level PG than is Brown. I guess we'll find out soon enough. State doesn't really have a Plan B.

MartyClark
04-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Bad news for the Pack.

What is the one ACC team they won't release him to?

jimsumner
04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
What is the one ACC team they won't release him to?

They won't release him for any ACC team.

I agree, it's badly worded.

Newton_14
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Bad news for the Pack.

Really hate to see this. I was more worried that Leslie would bolt than Harrow. It was obvious Ryan took the dismissal of Lowe extremely hard, but I had hoped he would like the new guy and want to remain a member of the Wolfpack family.

I have to wonder if he let the negativity in the fanbase get to him. Near the end of the year when Pack Nation was railing hard on Lowe and the performance of the team, he sounded off a bit on Facebook and twitter asking out loud why the fanbase was "turning their backs" on the team. He also took some heat from some of the fans when he missed a couple of games with the Flu. Which was really bad. The kid is a competitor, and it's not like he would have sit out if he were able to play.

This is definitely a setback for State which in turn is a setback for the ACC. It will make Gottfried's job more difficult in year one. Really hate to see Ryan leave, as he was fun to watch, and will likely develop into a fine player.

One of my UNC buddies at work read somewhere this afternoon that Ryan is looking at Kentucky as a possibility, but not sure where he saw that. Would hate to see him go there.

davekay1971
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Terrible news for State. Harrow is a talented kid who could have matured into an excellent 4 year point guard for State. State simply doesn't have a good backup option at the most important position on the court. Going to make it a much tougher year for State. Hopefully Harrow, who does seem like a good kid, finds a program that will allow him to grow into the kind of PG he can be.

lotusland
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
UK fans have been claiming Cal would get him for weeks. He was on campus in Lexington today (according to his AAU coach as posted on Cat's Pause) and they are giddy. They don't have a point guard signed for 2012 so assuming Teague is one and done Harrow's arrival will be timely. I can't help believing Cal was recruiting him behind the scenes all along.
http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=157909559&mid=157909559&sid=888&style=2

OZZIE4DUKE
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Really too bad for State. Oh, well. Bye bye "bubble guts".

FireOgilvie
04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
UK fans have been claiming Cal would get him for weeks. He was on campus in Lexington today (according to his AAU coach as posted on Cat's Pause) and they are giddy. They don't have a point guard signed for 2012 so assuming Teague is one and done Harrow's arrival will be timely. I can't help believing Cal was recruiting him behind the scenes all along.
http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=157909559&mid=157909559&sid=888&style=2

He's nowhere near the level of the last 6+ PGs Calipari has recruited, so that works for me.

Derrick Rose
Tyreke Evans
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague

Come to think of it, maybe Cal will have better luck with a PG that doesn't leave after one year.

lotusland
04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
He's nowhere near the level of the last 6+ PGs Calipari has recruited, so that works for me.

Derrick Rose
Tyreke Evans
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague

Come to think of it, maybe Cal will have better luck with a PG that doesn't leave after one year.

I may be wrong but I think after a redshirt year Harrow is going to be a stud.

FireOgilvie
04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
I may be wrong but I think after a redshirt year Harrow is going to be a stud.

If he gets a lot stronger and drastically improves his shooting, he'll be good. He's a great FT shooter, so I won't be surprised if he does improve quite a bit. It could be good for Calipari to get more than 1 year out of his PG position, although I would still probably rather have any of those 6 for a year than Harrow. Teague is going to be really solid IMO. Even Bledsoe averaged 11 pts/game as the 4th scoring option. With no Wall, he probably averages 15-18 pts/game.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited if Harrow was the future of my team. I think his decision making, leadership abilities, and attitude are suspect. He's more flash than substance at this point.

davekay1971
04-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited if Harrow was the future of my team. I think his decision making, leadership abilities, and attitude are suspect. He's more flash than substance at this point.

I doubt Calipari is looking at Harrow as the future of his team at the PG position. Anyone here doubt that Cal would be perfectly happy to recruit Harrow away from State as an insurance policy at the PG position while he aggressively recruits over him?

darjum
04-27-2011, 08:29 AM
I doubt Calipari is looking at Harrow as the future of his team at the PG position. Anyone here doubt that Cal would be perfectly happy to recruit Harrow away from State as an insurance policy at the PG position while he aggressively recruits over him?

And don't forget that when the right NBA job comes along he's gone leaving all recruits up the proverbial creek.

Channing
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM

wow - for a freshman who spent a portion of the year injured, you are pretty quick to judge him. In his limited playing time, TT didn't prove that he can lead an ACC team - might as well get rid of him too (and by all accounts, Harrow was/is a significantly better prospect than TT).

I'll be honest, if Duke was in a position where they needed a PG, I would not be upset with Harrow. When healthy he showed the ability to get in the lane at will and, if he can bulk up, he has the speed to be an excellent on ball defender. Good luck to him.

BD80
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM

I think the rule is he would have to wait two years to play if he transfers in conference without being "released."

Faison1
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I just don't get it. You're about to be the starting point guard on what might be an upper level ACC team. Why transfer and sit out a year?

If it's Kentucky, I guess I might understand.....but still, you're going from a known to a BIG unknown in UK....who knows where UK and Calipari are in 2 years?

mcdukie
04-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I think it is a huge loss for State. I don't know if it will be Kentucky, but in my opinion he is a pretty good get for some team and I think he will go to a bigger conference than the CAA.

Slackerb
04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
It's a loss, but I'm not sure it's huge.

From what I'm hearing there was serious strain on the relationship between Lowe and Harrow and his family, basically that he wasn't the starter earlier and that he wasn't given enough minutes.

He was given flack by teammates as not working hard and being tough, especially when he sat out two games in the middle of the season because of illness.

By the end of the year, Lorenzo Brown was a better PG than Harrow overall, and I think Brown would have been the starting PG this year potentially.

So losing Harrow hurts, but it's mostly from a lack of depth perspective.

tbyers11
05-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Per Jerry Meyer via Jeff Goodman (http://twitter.com/#!/3starmeyer/status/73579407331176448), Ryan Harrow is transferring to Kentucky. I liked Harrow's game at NCST last year. He showed flashes amongst the usual freshman mistakes. I think he'll be pretty good in a year.

From the Kentucky perspective, 2012 is not a banner year for point guards. The highest ranked PG by Scout is #29 overall. Cal must have thought Harrow would be better than anything else he could get after Teague likely continues his string of one-and-done PGs