PDA

View Full Version : ACC-NBA Draft Update

Olympic Fan
04-23-2011, 02:14 PM
ESPN has a blurb up (it's insider, so I can't link) reporting that Reggie Jackson is likely to stay in the draft. In addition, I had a conversation yesterday with a very well-informed ACC source (take that for what it's worth), who told me that Maryland is getting very mixed signals from Jordan Williams about staying or going in the draft.

That, and Miami's pickup of Jim Larranaga, got me thinking about the impact of those decisions on the ACC next year. With two weeks to go before the deadline to withdraw, I think two decisions will have a huge impact on the league next year:

(1) Jordan Williams: Very simple. If he returns, Maryland is an upper echelon ACC team next year (I would have them battling FSU for third). If he stays in the draft, the Terps would become an NIT bubble team.

(2) Reggie Johnson: We know Larranaga can coach. He returns a great backcourt with Malcolm Grant, Durand Scott and a budding standout in Rion Brown. Plus they add a very solid transfer in Trey McKinney Jones. He has some nice, athletic wings in Adams and DeQuan Jones. But the only experienced big man, other than Johnson, is Julian Gamble and he's just not much of a scoring threat. If Johnson does return, they'll have all five starters back and a chance to be an upper echelon ACC team.

I don't see the other question marks making much difference. Boston College is going to be a bottom feeder next season with or without Reggie Jackson. FSU is going to be a strong (top 3-4) ACC team with or without Chris Singleton. Georgia Tech isn't likely to be an NCAA team even with Iman Shumpert. They made a difference, obviously, but not a huge one on the ACC.

Obviously, Duke would be a heck of a lot better if Irving changed his mind and returned, but that's not going to happen. And UNC's fortunes could take a huge nose dive if Barnes, Henson and/or Zeller changed their minds and declared for the draft. But that's not going to happen either.

Williams and Johnson -- those are the two critical decisions upcoming ... critical to the 2012 ACC race.

Wander
04-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Minor contention. With Singleton, I'd give FSU a realistic shot to finish in 2nd, ahead of Duke - I might even give them a slight edge. Not without him though.

Probably moot, as it doesn't seem that he's returning. He'd be a big difference though.

Bob Green
04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Williams and Johnson -- those are the two critical decisions upcoming ... critical to the 2012 ACC race.

I hope they both return to school as a strong ACC with plenty of close contested games will make Duke stronger come tournament time. Yes, the stronger the conference the higher the likelihood we drop a couple more conference games than normal, but being stronger in March is the objective.

COYS
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I hope they both return to school as a strong ACC with plenty of close contested games will make Duke stronger come tournament time. Yes, the stronger the conference the higher the likelihood we drop a couple more conference games than normal, but being stronger in March is the objective.

Plus, the ACC is so much more fun when there are a number of top teams. It's been a few years since we've had that. I'd love to see the ACC stacked with talent next year.