PDA

View Full Version : Games in China & Dubai

Pages : [1] 2

lilblue
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Anybody know it they will be on inside access though goduke.com?

TigerDevil
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
I do not know the answer to that question, but I'll try and find out. I am moving to Shanghai in 3 weeks (where I worked last summer as well) and my father is going to be speaking to some people in the Iron Dukes office about attending the games and whatnot, so I'll make sure to mention the inside access to him.

cbnaylor
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Update?

Lord Ash
05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey all!

Just wondering... does anyone know any more info about the China trip, as far as broadcasting of games and all? I don't recall seeing anything anywhere... but I'd love an early glimpse at the guys!

Thanks!

Newton_14
05-12-2011, 10:53 PM
One update from the thread that Watzone started earlier today. All of the Duke Freshman will be taking the Dubai/China trip as all will be enrolled in Summer School and be on campus no later than June. I assume Coach Capel will be taking the trip as well.

The team will get 10 full/regular practices with the complete coaching staff as though it were the Regular Season, prior to leaving for Dubai. That will go a long ways toward helping the development of this young squad.

During the trip the team can practice as many times as they need/want to, along with playing in the exhibition games.

Good stuff and perfect timing.

Dr. Tina
05-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I really just want to know if anyone wants to take me on the trip with them? LOL!

lilblue
05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Still no news on whether this'll be televised or on goduke? What is the date of the trip?

El_Diablo
05-30-2011, 02:17 AM
Still no news on whether this'll be televised or on goduke? What is the date of the trip?

The dates are listed here:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205098336

Travel packages are listed here:
http://www.anthonytravel.com/duke/china-dubai/?DB_OEM_ID=4200

I can't find anything about broadcasts though.

lilblue
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks El diablo

roywhite
07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
From the Chronicle:

Expanding the Brand (http://http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/expanding-brand)

The University is currently in talks with ESPN International to broadcast three of the four games on the ESPN family of networks, according to senior associate director of athletics and director of the basketball legacy fund Mike Cragg.

meloveduke
07-02-2011, 02:19 AM
From the Chronicle:

Expanding the Brand (http://http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/expanding-brand)

Link is not working for me. Wonderfull news on the coverage, I hope it works out.

roywhite
07-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Link is not working for me. Wonderfull news on the coverage, I hope it works out.

Chronicle article on trip (http://dukechronicle.com/article/expanding-brand)

Sorry, let me try that again.

With his Olympic coaching experience, I'll guess Coach K is approaching celebrity status in China, though perhaps not to the level of Shane Battier?

JasonEvans
07-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Just so we are clear about expectations, the Chinese National Team, against whom Duke will be scrimmaging, is very good. They are extremely tall and will be physically stronger than almost all the kids on the Duke roster. We will be more skilled, but I would expect tough games against them. The Chinese PF played in the NBA a while back.

They would probably kill Duke if Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian were playing.

-Jason

superdave
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Andy Katz article (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6739555/young-blue-devils-head-china-august) on the upcoming China trip.

gwlaw99
07-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Does this strike anyone as an unfair advantage for us being able to play and practice out of season? I know it is ok under the rules, but shouldn't all teams do something like this, even if it is to Canada or Mexico?

VaDukie
07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Does this strike anyone as an unfair advantage for us being able to play and practice out of season? I know it is ok under the rules, but shouldn't all teams do something like this, even if it is to Canada or Mexico?

Every team gets the opportunity to do the same every four years.

superdave
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM

A lot of them do. Here's the listings of a google search (http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=NCAA+basketball+august+trips&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1ec92a21f3882047&biw=800&bih=427) of the subject.

roywhite
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
A lot of them do. Here's the listings of a google search (http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=NCAA+basketball+august+trips&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1ec92a21f3882047&biw=800&bih=427) of the subject.

Additionally, the extra practice time makes sense considering something I've heard Coach K say a number of times, most recently in the Paterno/Krzyzewski ESPN special. That is that the NCAA restrictions on practice time allowed with the coaches is not realistic. The players are involved with basketball for many more hours, but are prevented by the rules from additional contact with their best resource, their own coaches.

DeBlueDevil
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Can't help but to mention that no where does Andy Katz even talk about Josh Hairston! I really do not understand why he just gets lost in the mix. I hope he uses this as motivation this year. But I'm pretty sure Katz mentions every scholarship player on the team except Josh. Maybe its due to the fact no one knows what his role will be? Hmm...

scottdude8
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Just so we are clear about expectations, the Chinese National Team, against whom Duke will be scrimmaging, is very good. They are extremely tall and will be physically stronger than almost all the kids on the Duke roster. We will be more skilled, but I would expect tough games against them. The Chinese PF played in the NBA a while back.
-Jason

True. The UAE team, on the other hand, is probably the equivalent of a bad high-school team. Most of the guys don't even play professionally... and the ones that do barely participate on the teams they play for. That'll be a fun one.

ricks68
07-05-2011, 08:44 PM

-Jason

No worries here. Just because Yao Ming is listed on the Rockets roster here in Houston, it doesn't necessarily mean he actually plays.:rolleyes:

And, if by some fluke, he actually steps on the court, it doesn't last for very long and he is generally ineffective.

ricks

roywhite
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
No worries here. Just because Yao Ming is listed on the Rockets roster here in Houston, it doesn't necessarily mean he actually plays.:rolleyes:

And, if by some fluke, he actually steps on the court, it doesn't last for very long and he is generally ineffective.
ricks

Ouch.

Hope Yao gets back; he was a pretty darn good player for a while. And seems like a good guy.

Greg_Newton
07-06-2011, 03:01 AM

-Jason

So what are people's expectations?

Are there any benchmarks to go by besides Duke playing the Soviets and Aussies 20-25 years ago?

We'll have them out-talented and (hopefully) out-teamworked; they'll have us outmuscled and out-experienced. I don't know whether to expect a close game or to get blown out. I mean, they sound intimidating, but their starting 7'3 center averaged 3PPG at Cal-Berkley (as a 23 year-old junior) in 2009-2010, and their started 6'9 SG never played a game in the NBA and couldn't break 10PPG in the NBDL, for example. China's huge, but almost no one plays sports growing up; it's a cultural thing, you either gamble and train for a future in athletics (and only athletics) or go to school and only school, so there's really not that big of a talent pool.

There have been some whisperings that it might be the junior national team - or at least not the A-squad - which I think we could probably handle. But I'd really have no idea what to expect in a game of top college talent vs. borderline NBA benchwarmers that have 5-10 years on them.

Wonder if there are any betting lines?

dcar1985
07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Yes...from everything I've seen its the junior national team, don't know much about the team but I'm sure K will have the team ready to go

JasonEvans
07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes...from everything I've seen its the junior national team, don't know much about the team but I'm sure K will have the team ready to go

Ahhh- that is a while different story. They will still probably be quite big, but their skill level will not be close to ours and they will not have the physical strength advantage that the senior national team would.

Worth noting that the Duke team will not be very polished as it will have only played together a handful of times. There is just no way they will know each other very well yet. I would expect to see more than a few passes into the stands and some very badly blown defensive rotations.

Still, great for a young team with some key new parts to get this extra practice and game time in before the season starts.

-Jason "I am going to China on a Duke Alumni tour in October -- wish they had synched it up with the hoops team!" Evans

Greg_Newton
07-06-2011, 07:37 PM
The junior national team would be more of a mismatch than the actual national team, IMO. I mean, they lost to a CA high school (http://www.gazettes.com/sports/poly/video-poly-boys-basketball-beats-chinese-junior-national-team/article_d11c4c34-6748-11e0-8ebf-001cc4c03286.html).

Seems like the most likely scenario is that we play something in between the A-squad and the junior national team (which is U-19, I believe). Like, maybe the B-squad national team or a U-23 team or something like that?

licc85
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
The Chinese olympic team would probably beat us even without Yao . . . they came in 8th in the 2008 olympics, and they took the silver medal Spanish team featuring the Gasol brothers, Rudy Fernandez, Jose Calderon, and Ricky Rubio to overtime before losing 75-85 . . . that's a team that could win at least 20-30 games in the NBA. (and as bad as that sounds, even the worst NBA team would destroy any college team, us included) We're DEFINITELY playing the junior team, and we SHOULD absolutely dominate them. However, I think it will be our advantage in athleticism that should tip the scales in our favor. The Chinese players are all very skilled, and they have the advantage of playing with each other before, but they aren't going to have freak athletes.

Greg_Newton
07-08-2011, 02:00 AM
The Chinese olympic team would probably beat us even without Yao . . . they came in 8th in the 2008 olympics, and they took the silver medal Spanish team featuring the Gasol brothers, Rudy Fernandez, Jose Calderon, and Ricky Rubio to overtime before losing 75-85 . . . that's a team that could win at least 20-30 games in the NBA. (and as bad as that sounds, even the worst NBA team would destroy any college team, us included) We're DEFINITELY playing the junior team, and we SHOULD absolutely dominate them. However, I think it will be our advantage in athleticism that should tip the scales in our favor. The Chinese players... ...have the advantage of playing with each other before, but they aren't going to have freak athletes.

I think you've got the advantage backwards here, especially if we're playing the actual national team.

They each have their own individual careers and teams, and given that we probably won't be playing their A-1 cream of the crop squad, there will probably be a few random faces in there on top of that.

And while Duke has a few freshmen, they have a core of the Plumlees, Kelly, Curry and Dawkins who have played together - and only together, 24/7/365 - for 2-3 years. They should have much more coheseiveness and chemistry than a national team, IMO.

gep
07-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I just saw a tweet from DukeBluePlanet that Nolan Smith will be going to China with the Duke team. Sounds like a great opportunity for the freshmen to not only have the upperclassmen to bond with... but also a proven Duke player to be around to "guide" them.

Which raises a question for me. How much interaction between former (recently grauated) players and current players can there be... only pick-up games... or actual formal team functions like practice, film sessions, etc. Seems like this China trip will be of the more "formal" type.

Acymetric
07-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I just saw a tweet from DukeBluePlanet that Nolan Smith will be going to China with the Duke team. Sounds like a great opportunity for the freshmen to not only have the upperclassmen to bond with... but also a proven Duke player to be around to "guide" them.

Which raises a question for me. How much interaction between former (recently grauated) players and current players can there be... only pick-up games... or actual formal team functions like practice, film sessions, etc. Seems like this China trip will be of the more "formal" type.

Don't know that there are restrictions on former players interacting with current players so long as they aren't giving them anything (benefits). Of course recruits who haven't enrolled yet is another story, but obviously everyone on the team is enrolled or they wouldn't be able to go.

Spy
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/PracticeShoot-Around/1st-Practice-11-12/17979056_t9NrRQ#1377132735_vKc7cbV

Pics from the first practice of the season!!!

A question to anyone who may be in the know: Mike G has the name Frank tattooed on his left tricep and Yvette on his right. Are these his parents or what?

ScreechTDX1847
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/PracticeShoot-Around/1st-Practice-11-12/17979056_t9NrRQ#1377132735_vKc7cbV

Pics from the first practice of the season!!!

A question to anyone who may be in the know: Mike G has the name Frank tattooed on his left tricep and Yvette on his right. Are these his parents or what?

Nice!! Thanks so much!

Ryan does look as if he lost a little weight. This is going to be an exciting season as I have no idea what to expect or who to step up. Andre looks to have improved his body more than anyone else thus far this summer.

theAlaskanBear
07-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Nice!! Thanks so much!

Ryan does look as if he lost a little weight. This is going to be an exciting season as I have no idea what to expect or who to step up. Andre looks to have improved his body more than anyone else thus far this summer.

I think Seth has added some strength as well. He looks bigger in arms/shoulders.

ScreechTDX1847
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I think Seth has added some strength as well. He looks bigger in arms/shoulders.

True. Seth has gotten stronger as well. I want Andre and Seth to be able to "push" guards off their spots.

chadlee989
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Does the white team look like the starters to anyone else?

mr shadow 008
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM

I don't think so. If you go back and look at the pictures in different pictures Andre is wearing white and then blue.

DukeGirl4ever
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Hmmm, good question. Blue team has Miles and Dre. I thought Dre would be a starter with Miles as a possibility. Can't wait to watch these games televised - any update on that? I saw someone mention they will be on ESPN.

jennja01
07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
after looking at the pictures from the first practice the thing that stuck out to me the most was how well conditioned and toned Thornton looked. I mean he really looks to be in excellent shape. To me it looks like he's worked on trimming fat and adding muscle, which I think will help him out a lot. IMO, the weakest part of Tyler's game is his speed/quickness and by toning his body im sure both have improved.

In addition, i concur with some previous poster(s), Curry looks like hes worked on his upper body strength. I think this will really help his game out, especially if hes runnning the point, because he'll be able to fight off ball pressure better than he used to, as well as cut through the line and finish through contact.

It also looks like Josh has spent some time in the weight room. His upper body looks jacked and I'm starting to think with his energy and strength he might see more minutes than I previously thought.

anyway, just my 2 cents. Im looking forward to more pictures!

gumbomoop
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Katz blog with tidbit-stuff: (1) K comments re China trip, some players. (2) Katz's speculation re Maui matchups, plus an interesting ref to a K-demand. [Scroll down.]

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6761620/news-notes-country

gwlaw99
07-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Every team gets the opportunity to do the same every four years.

Perfect timing then as this is certainly a year that getting an early look at the team will pay off.

Scorp4me
07-12-2011, 05:00 PM

If so I think no one predicted Murhpy and Zafirovski as starters.

And agree with Thornton looking like he may definitely be a factor this year.

ThePublisher
07-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Thornton will definitely be a factor. He turned around a couple of games for us last year. I imagine he will get his share of starts depending on the opposing teams PG. If we need an offense slowed down, he's our guy.
Hopefully he gets his fouls in check.

Duke of Nashville
07-13-2011, 08:56 AM
So, from what I remember is that ESPN was thinking about airing 3 of the 4 games of the China and Dubai trip. Any confirmation? Will they be available on GoDuke.com?

msdukie
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
So, from what I remember is that ESPN was thinking about airing 3 of the 4 games of the China and Dubai trip. Any confirmation? Will they be available on GoDuke.com?

I believe that they are still negotiating this and an announcement should be released soon.

dukeblue1206
07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I asked a local ACC writer if he knew anything or heard anything about the China/Dubai games being broadcast. He said he had talked to Bob Harris and that he was making the trip. So maybe at least Go Duke will be covering them to some extent since Bob is going.

lotusland
07-14-2011, 11:16 PM
If so I think no one predicted Murhpy and Zafirovski as starters.

And agree with Thornton looking like he may definitely be a factor this year.

Recently read on DBR Singler and Nolan both looking at this years team and pointing to TT as a major contributor. For them both to say that is telling. We may have a real battle form PG minutes between Seth, Quinn and Tyler.

hustleplays
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I've been traveling -- Have any of the games been televised? Any TV scheduled?
thanks.

CDu
07-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Depends on what pictures you're talking about. There are some pictures with Dawkins in blue and some with Dawkins in white. And there are some with Gbinije in blue and some with him in white. Also, I doubt Murphy or Zafirovski starts.

Dukehky
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Can't help but to mention that no where does Andy Katz even talk about Josh Hairston! I really do not understand why he just gets lost in the mix. I hope he uses this as motivation this year. But I'm pretty sure Katz mentions every scholarship player on the team except Josh. Maybe its due to the fact no one knows what his role will be? Hmm...

I agree that Katz probably should have mentioned him in some way, as maybe someone who comes in to give up fouls in the plumlees and kelly are in trouble. But the reason no one knows his role is because he's not going to have very much of one, no matter how much Andy Katz's article motivates him. He doesn't have the skill to play outside, nor the size to play inside. Even if he has a great motor, he seems like a poor man's Jamal Boykin at this point. Maybe he's expanded his offensive game and grown a few inches, but I have heard no reports of that.

CDu
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree that Katz probably should have mentioned him in some way, as maybe someone who comes in to give up fouls in the plumlees and kelly are in trouble. But the reason no one knows his role is because he's not going to have very much of one, no matter how much Andy Katz's article motivates him. He doesn't have the skill to play outside, nor the size to play inside. Even if he has a great motor, he seems like a poor man's Jamal Boykin at this point. Maybe he's expanded his offensive game and grown a few inches, but I have heard no reports of that.

He has the size to play inside. 6'8" is plenty big for a college 4. I think his problem is that he has two McDonald's All-Americans with more experience and better skills in front of him, along with a senior who has been a frequent starter over his first 3 years.

I also wouldn't call him a poor man's Jamal Boykin. Remember that neither was much of an impact player in their first year at Duke. Boykin didn't really make an impact until his fifth year in college.

I won't write Hairston off this year, but he's going to have to leapfrog Kelly or one of the Plumlees in order to increase his minutes. Since those guys were ahead of him on the depth chart last year (and he played minimally as a result), it's reasonable to assume those guys will be ahead of him on the depth chart this year (and he'll play minimally as a result).

gep
07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I've been wondering and keep forgetting to ask. Will the games in China and Dubai be played under international rules or US basketball rules. I would imagine US rules, but I don't think I've heard either way...:confused:

Greg_Newton
07-20-2011, 01:57 AM
He has the size to play inside. 6'8" is plenty big for a college 4. I think his problem is that he has two McDonald's All-Americans with more experience and better skills in front of him, along with a senior who has been a frequent starter over his first 3 years.

I also wouldn't call him a poor man's Jamal Boykin. Remember that neither was much of an impact player in their first year at Duke. Boykin didn't really make an impact until his fifth year in college.

I won't write Hairston off this year, but he's going to have to leapfrog Kelly or one of the Plumlees in order to increase his minutes. Since those guys were ahead of him on the depth chart last year (and he played minimally as a result), it's reasonable to assume those guys will be ahead of him on the depth chart this year (and he'll play minimally as a result).

I agree with this, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Josh log 10-15 mpg this year, though. K seems very willing to use a 4-man post rotation - especially when it's a Plumlee-ridden one - and Josh brings a dynamic our other four caucasian sticks don't; he looks really solidly built these days, especially in the hindquarters, and is really our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low.

I'd also like to see him become a factor just because he's a great personality. He's a guy I can really see emerging as a leader as a junior or senior, and I think once he gets his body and mental processing of the game up to speed, he'll be a reliable, net-positive role player and asset. Different game than Lance Thomas, but same role/mindset.

CDu
07-20-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with this, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Josh log 10-15 mpg this year, though. K seems very willing to use a 4-man post rotation - especially when it's a Plumlee-ridden one - and Josh brings a dynamic our other four caucasian sticks don't; he looks really solidly built these days, especially in the hindquarters, and is really our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low.

I'm not sure that I agree with the thought that he's more solidly built and our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low. I'd say that both of the elder Plumlees are more solidly built and have shown to be more than willing to mix it up inside.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hairston get 10-15 mpg. He got 6 mpg last year in games he played (although he only played in about 75% of the games, so that's really like 4-5 mpg over the course of a season). Singler played probably 5 mpg at PF last year, so it's not unreasonable for those minutes to go to Hairston.

BD80
07-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I agree with this, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Josh log 10-15 mpg this year, though. K seems very willing to use a 4-man post rotation - especially when it's a Plumlee-ridden one - and Josh brings a dynamic our other four caucasian sticks don't; he looks really solidly built these days, especially in the hindquarters, and is really our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low. ...

I'm not sure that I agree with the thought that he's more solidly built and our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low. I'd say that both of the elder Plumlees are more solidly built and have shown to be more than willing to mix it up inside. ...

I think the distinction is that the Plumlees tend to play defense from the shoulders up (and out) instead of moving their feet and staying low. It is natural for taller players to patrol the air space near the basket. How often do you see them in the lane, on their toes with an arm cocked, ready to block a shot? (Hint, there is probably a significant correlation to fouls called on them).

The turning point for Zoubek was when was able to get and hold his position, similar to Lance's strides on defense. Josh is ahead (below?) in this aspect of the game. I hope that the Plumlees (particularly Mason) have Zoub-like metamorphoses (catharses?) and Josh is used primarily to defend opposing 4s who are really 3s.

CDu
07-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I think the distinction is that the Plumlees tend to play defense from the shoulders up (and out) instead of moving their feet and staying low. It is natural for taller players to patrol the air space near the basket. How often do you see them in the lane, on their toes with an arm cocked, ready to block a shot? (Hint, there is probably a significant correlation to fouls called on them).

The turning point for Zoubek was when was able to get and hold his position, similar to Lance's strides on defense. Josh is ahead (below?) in this aspect of the game. I hope that the Plumlees (particularly Mason) have Zoub-like metamorphoses (catharses?) and Josh is used primarily to defend opposing 4s who are really 3s.

I agree that the Plumlees have some faults in terms of being consistent with their positioning. But I'm not sure that I agree that Hairston is ahead of the Plumlees in any aspect of the game. I don't think we've seen enough of him to say such a thing. Nothing I've seen to this point suggests that Hairston plays any more physically or is any better at holding his position on defense.

Also, the "fouls per game" argument doesn't really hold with Mason anymore. He averaged a foul every 10 mpg last year, which is actually pretty good for a big man. It's also better than Hairston's rate, despite having to play against better competition than Hairston. Hairston fouled slightly more frequently (per minute played) than Miles as well.

Greg_Newton
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure that I agree with the thought that he's more solidly built and our only physical, powerful, mix-it-up guy down low. I'd say that both of the elder Plumlees are more solidly built and have shown to be more than willing to mix it up inside.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hairston get 10-15 mpg. He got 6 mpg last year in games he played (although he only played in about 75% of the games, so that's really like 4-5 mpg over the course of a season). Singler played probably 5 mpg at PF last year, so it's not unreasonable for those minutes to go to Hairston.

As for the first thought - I don't think it's even close when it comes to their lower bodies. That's a major weakness the Plumlees have; they can't carve out any space 'cause they ain't got no back! Hairston looks like he's added a lot of mass since the season (reportedly up to 235), and has quite a prominent posterior. He still tended to get low and lead with his lower body last year (unlike the Plumls), just wasn't quite strong enough; hopefully he'll make that mini-leap this year.

But I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if he registers some DNPs down the stretch either, with Miles, Mason and Ryan each getting 25-30 minutes. So we'll see.

roywhite
07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
As for the first thought - I don't think it's even close when it comes to their lower bodies. That's a major weakness the Plumlees have; they can't carve out any space 'cause they ain't got no back! Hairston looks like he's added a lot of mass since the season (reportedly up to 235), and has quite a prominent posterior. He still tended to get low and lead with his lower body last year (unlike the Plumls), just wasn't quite strong enough; hopefully he'll make that mini-leap this year.

But I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if he registers some DNPs down the stretch either, with Miles, Mason and Ryan each getting 25-30 minutes. So we'll see.

Won't Josh also have to compete with Robo-Cop Alex and Silent G for minutes in the frontcourt, or do you see him more in the low post? Seems like a great guy, but he's really going to have to scratch for playing time IMO.

CDu
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Won't Josh also have to compete with Robo-Cop Alex and Silent G for minutes in the frontcourt, or do you see him more in the low post? Seems like a great guy, but he's really going to have to scratch for playing time IMO.

Hairston didn't play the 3 at all last year, and I don't think he has any part of the game to play the 3 this year. So I don't think he's in competition with Gbinije for minutes. I haven't seen enough of Murphy to know whether he'll compete for minutes (and if so whether they'd be at the 3 or 4). But if Murphy is viewed as a 3, then he and Hairston won't be battling for minutes, either.

sagegrouse
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Hairston didn't play the 3 at all last year, and I don't think he has any part of the game to play the 3 this year. So I don't think he's in competition with Gbinije for minutes. I haven't seen enough of Murphy to know whether he'll compete for minutes (and if so whether they'd be at the 3 or 4). But if Murphy is viewed as a 3, then he and Hairston won't be battling for minutes, either.

I don't recognize the number. Isn't that a Dean Smith concept? K doesn't assign players by position, the exception being point guard, but even then, more than one player in a lineup will bring the ball up the court. If Hairston has game, then he will get minutes.

I have no idea about Hairston, but I would observe that the most overlooked Duke players in this Forum are rising sophomores who didn't play much as freshmen. Last year, Andre was projected for relatively few minutes heading into the season. I look forward to a meaningful contribution from Josh this season.

And, of course, this year there will be fewer mysteries going into the season, despite the loss of three stars from last year: the China-Dubai trip will show us some lieup iterations that reflect the staff's view of the team.

sagegrouse

Dukehky
07-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree that Hairston has added some weight, and the guy definitely has some back on him, but people are grossly overestimating his height. If you've stood next to him, he is 6'7 with shoes on, and from watching him in practice last year he's not exactly the most explosive guy on the floor. Again, the deeper we are up front, the better, its always important to have solid depth up front (we all know this from the 2004 disaster that was the Final Four game against UCONN), so I'm hoping he's got a lot more in him than I've seen and expect, I just have no reason to think that he's going to register any significant amount of playing time once big games start to roll around.

On a separate note, I've been at work for the past week without anything to do, so I've been going back through old Duke games online (IF you haven't done this and have time to kill, especially if you're a younger guy like me and didn't get to see/don't remember any of the older championship teams, go to vault.ncaa.com and vault.theacc.com to get to watch some awesome college games that you may not remember). But when going through these games and enjoying them thoroughly, does it seem to anyone else that everytime Duke smacks the floor, the other team scores? Even from recent games, they always seem to score, and this is coming from possibly the biggest fan of the floor smack in my age bracket. I'm not even saying I want it to stop, it just kinda sucks when they score on "our thing" 80% of the time.

Greg_Newton
07-20-2011, 05:20 PM

I see him as a Jeff Adrien-lite PF. Seems like he had some SF game in HS, but given that he hasn't showed much of that and is up to ~6'7 235, he seems to be primarily training for the 4 role... BTB, screening, rebounding, doing the dirty work around the rim, and getting in opponents' grills on defense like his buddy Thornton does in the backcourt. I agree that it'll be an uphill battle for minutes with upperclassmen Mason, Miles and Ryan at the 4/5, but I do think he'll be an asset for us, if sporadically.

It's easy to forget that this was the breakout star of the blue/white game last year, who simply seemed too physically overmatched and mentally overwhelmed when he got into games to be a contributor. Admittedly based on what little I've seen of him this summer on and off the court, he appears to have moved into a more confident/mentoring role in the squad and built his body into one that can eat up some horizontal space in a way our other bigs can't. I mean, it's a funny thing to talk about, but it's hard to overemphasize the importance of a powerful posterior.:p (Sullinger wouldn't even have been in OSU's rotation last year if he'd had Ryan's lower body.)

I'm not even saying he'll be in the top eight in minutes played, I'm just a lot more positive on his general direction than I was last year or even this spring.

CDu
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't recognize the number. Isn't that a Dean Smith concept? K doesn't assign players by position, the exception being point guard, but even then, more than one player in a lineup will bring the ball up the court. If Hairston has game, then he will get minutes.

I have no idea about Hairston, but I would observe that the most overlooked Duke players in this Forum are rising sophomores who didn't play much as freshmen. Last year, Andre was projected for relatively few minutes heading into the season. I look forward to a meaningful contribution from Josh this season.

And, of course, this year there will be fewer mysteries going into the season, despite the loss of three stars from last year: the China-Dubai trip will show us some lieup iterations that reflect the staff's view of the team.

sagegrouse

No offense sagegrouse, but I find the "Duke doesn't have positions" argument to be one of the more misused arguments on this board. Yes, Coach K uses the statement "we don't have positions." But who plays depends a lot on whom that player can guard. Almost all teams use at least 3 perimeter players at once, so our lineups have included 3 perimeter players.

Unless he's been absolutely forced to do so due to lack of options (like 2010 when we had only 4 true perimeter players), Coach K has used at least 3 perimeter-oriented players at all times. He's varied between a perimeter-oriented 4 and a post-oriented 4, but he's never used 3 post players.

Thus, I use the term 3 and 4 to distinguish between a perimeter-oriented position (the 3) and a more post-oriented position (the 4). Since Hairston doesn't have perimeter skills, he's not going to play the 3. So he'll be competing with the Plumlees and Kelly for two possible post spots.

As for your statement that rising sophomores are the most overlooked, that's often accurate. However, that's often in part because of opportunity. We didn't lose any post players from last year's team (all of our losses were from the perimeter), so it's going to be hard for Hairston to drastically increase his minutes unless he overtakes one of the three returning guys who earned major minutes in the post last year.

NOTE: when discussing perimeter versus post, I'm always referring to the defensive end. We've had plenty of perimeter-oriented bigs (offensively) and some post-oriented wings (offensively). But those players were defined by where they were best suited defensively.

BD80
07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Back to the trip ...

The article on the DBR front page talks about the synergy between the basketball program and the business school afforded by Coach K' reputation:

"The University of Tennessee, for example, wouldn't have generated much interest with a Bruce Pearl Center for Leadership and Ethics."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/23/2477399/duke-overseas-business-with-basketball.html#ixzz1T1isdeJe

Now that there is funny.

yancem
07-24-2011, 09:51 AM
No offense sagegrouse, but I find the "Duke doesn't have positions" argument to be one of the more misused arguments on this board. Yes, Coach K uses the statement "we don't have positions." But who plays depends a lot on whom that player can guard. Almost all teams use at least 3 perimeter players at once, so our lineups have included 3 perimeter players.

Unless he's been absolutely forced to do so due to lack of options (like 2010 when we had only 4 true perimeter players), Coach K has used at least 3 perimeter-oriented players at all times. He's varied between a perimeter-oriented 4 and a post-oriented 4, but he's never used 3 post players.

Thus, I use the term 3 and 4 to distinguish between a perimeter-oriented position (the 3) and a more post-oriented position (the 4). Since Hairston doesn't have perimeter skills, he's not going to play the 3. So he'll be competing with the Plumlees and Kelly for two possible post spots.

As for your statement that rising sophomores are the most overlooked, that's often accurate. However, that's often in part because of opportunity. We didn't lose any post players from last year's team (all of our losses were from the perimeter), so it's going to be hard for Hairston to drastically increase his minutes unless he overtakes one of the three returning guys who earned major minutes in the post last year.

NOTE: when discussing perimeter versus post, I'm always referring to the defensive end. We've had plenty of perimeter-oriented bigs (offensively) and some post-oriented wings (offensively). But those players were defined by where they were best suited defensively.

I agree with your analysis of positions/lineups but one think to remember is that Singler did play some minutes at the 4 last season and those minutes could end up going to Hairston. They could also be divided up between MP1, MP2 and Kelly or MP3 could steal them but if Hairston had done his work, they are at least up for grabs.

CDu
07-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I agree with your analysis of positions/lineups but one think to remember is that Singler did play some minutes at the 4 last season and those minutes could end up going to Hairston. They could also be divided up between MP1, MP2 and Kelly or MP3 could steal them but if Hairston had done his work, they are at least up for grabs.

Singler did play some (~12 mpg) minutes at the 4. I expect those minutes to be distributed among all five of the big guys (and possibly Murphy as well). Hairston would need to get all of Singler's minutes at the 4 to be a major impact player this year, and I don't see that happening.

I think Hairston will get in the 10 mpg range as the 4th big, so it's not like he'll be nonexistent. But I think the starters/major minutes guys in the frontcourt are still in place, and that makes Katz's lack of discussion of Hairston make more sense (his article was more focused on who all will/could make an impact, and that's a bit more uncertain on the perimeter).

devildeac
07-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Interesting read from the Raleigh N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/24/1365913/duke-takes-a-global-approach-as.html

lilblue
08-03-2011, 07:29 PM
This trip is a week away and no hype on the boards!?!?!? Sheesh! Have all the details been ironed out with ESPN?

Bojangles4Eva
08-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Is there a for sure bet when it comes to televising these games (espn, espn360, goduke inside access, some random internet site, etc...)? I've had no tv and almost no internet all summer, and am just re-entering the world of digital civilization, so I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to this trip.

Nrrrrvous
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
My guide for ESPNU has the "Duke Basketball Tour". The only game that is there (not surprising since it only goes out 2 weeks) is Duke Blue Devils at China from Shanghai, China on the 18th at 8 AM. My guess is we will see more pop up as the days progress. :D

meloveduke
08-04-2011, 09:35 PM
My guide for ESPNU has the "Duke Basketball Tour". The only game that is there (not surprising since it only goes out 2 weeks) is Duke Blue Devils at China from Shanghai, China on the 18th at 8 AM. My guess is we will see more pop up as the days progress. :D

Nice find.......(picking up my dvr remote now...)

Lord Ash
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Duke basketball in August?!? Can't wait!!!!!!! Thanks for finding that.

Bojangles4Eva
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Duke basketball in August?!? Can't wait!!!!!!! Thanks for finding that.

2nd that, more importantly excited to see if anything displayed in the Pro Am translates to when a team plays serious defense against us.

sagegrouse
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow! Four games in August -- three apparently against the China National team and one game in Dubai

Aug 17 - Shanghai
Aug 19 - Shanghai (different location)
Aug 22 - Beijing
Aug 26 - Dubai (against whom?)

It would be great for DBR to start the men's schedule for 2012 with these games, along with game times (time zone, please) and what's known of TV. Sounds like Aug 17 is on ESPN-U at 6 AM Mountain Time (8AM for you East Coast softies).

sagegrouse

obsesseddukefan
08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

CHange the day for upcoming to 30 and it shows what time the games are being played..hope this helps! GO DUKE!

sagegrouse
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

CHange the day for upcoming to 30 and it shows what time the games are being played..hope this helps! GO DUKE!

Thanks for the information. Here are the relevant entries for the three games to be shown on ESPN3. It would be great if all the games were picked up by ESPN-U.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18

08:00 AM

Duke vs. China National Team

Monday, Aug. 22

Thursday, Aug. 25

01:30 PM BASKETBALL

Duke vs. UAE National Team

sagegrouse

CDu
08-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the information. Here are the relevant entries for the three games to be shown on ESPN3. It would be great if all the games were picked up by ESPN-U.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18

Monday, Aug. 22

Thursday, Aug. 25

01:30 PM BASKETBALL

Duke vs. UAE National Team

sagegrouse

ESPNU has the Aug 18 game (which is the Aug 19 game in China) at 8am. I haven't seen anywhere that has picked up the Aug 17 game yet. And ESPNU doesn't extend out to the Aug 22 or Aug 25 games (but I'd guess they'll have them if ESPN3 has them).

loldevilz
08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I see him as a Jeff Adrien-lite PF. Seems like he had some SF game in HS, but given that he hasn't showed much of that and is up to ~6'7 235, he seems to be primarily training for the 4 role... BTB, screening, rebounding, doing the dirty work around the rim, and getting in opponents' grills on defense like his buddy Thornton does in the backcourt. I agree that it'll be an uphill battle for minutes with upperclassmen Mason, Miles and Ryan at the 4/5, but I do think he'll be an asset for us, if sporadically.

It's easy to forget that this was the breakout star of the blue/white game last year, who simply seemed too physically overmatched and mentally overwhelmed when he got into games to be a contributor. Admittedly based on what little I've seen of him this summer on and off the court, he appears to have moved into a more confident/mentoring role in the squad and built his body into one that can eat up some horizontal space in a way our other bigs can't. I mean, it's a funny thing to talk about, but it's hard to overemphasize the importance of a powerful posterior.:p (Sullinger wouldn't even have been in OSU's rotation last year if he'd had Ryan's lower body.)

I'm not even saying he'll be in the top eight in minutes played, I'm just a lot more positive on his general direction than I was last year or even this spring.

I'd really like to see the bigs play in pairs like in 2010. Mason and Kelly could start with Miles and Hairston coming in together off the bench. I think that'd give Duke a nice scoring front court and a more mobile defensive lineup.

subzero02
08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I can't wait for these games, the off season can be excruciatingly long. Does anyone have projected rosters for the china and uae national teams ? The thing I will be playing the most attention to in these games will be how/if Austin is able to create scoring opportunities for Seth, Andre and Mason.

CDu
08-07-2011, 07:15 PM
From the ESPN website, ESPNU will be picking up the following games:

Thursday, Aug 18 8am vs China
Monday, Aug 22 8am vs China
Thursday, Aug 25 1:30pm vs UAE

It doesn't look like ESPN has picked up the Aug 17 (which I assume will actually be Aug 16 in the US) game. I'm guessing nobody picks that game up.

It looks like ESPN3 will carry the same 3 games.

sagegrouse
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
From the ESPN website, ESPNU will be picking up the following games:

Thursday, Aug 18 8am vs China
Monday, Aug 22 8am vs China
Thursday, Aug 25 1:30pm vs UAE

It doesn't look like ESPN has picked up the Aug 17 (which I assume will actually be Aug 16 in the US) game. I'm guessing nobody picks that game up.

It looks like ESPN3 will carry the same 3 games.

CDu is absolutely right. Here's a bit more information and a clarification on the games:

August 17: Duke plays an exhibition game in Kunshan, which is a suburb of Shanghai (against whom?).

August 18: the Devils open the new Mercedes-Benz Arena in the Friendship Games against the Chinese National team. (TV: ESPNU - August 18, 800AM EDT).

August 22: Devils play the National team again in Beijing, Master Card Center. (TV - ESPNU - August 22, 800AM EDT).

August 25: Duke plays an exhibition against the Dubai National team in Dubai. (TV - ESPNU - August 25, 130PM EDT).

It looks like the first game, called an exhibition, will not be telecast.

NOTE: ALL GAMES ARE BROADCAST ON THE SAME DAY AS SCHEDULED. I.e., 800PM, August 18 in China is 800AM EDT, August 18.

Here's GoDuke on the subject:

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke basketball fans from across the globe can now purchase tickets to the Friendship Games in Shanghai and Beijing. The Blue Devils embark on a two-week foreign trip through China and Dubai on August 14.

Duke will play the Chinese Olympic Team at the Mercedes Benz Arena on August 18 in Shanghai. The game will be the first basketball game to be played in Mercedes-Benz Arena, former home of the Shanghai World Expo Culture Center. Tickets are available at http://www.smartshanghai.com/smartticket/dukeuniversity.

The Blue Devils will then travel to Beijing where the two teams will square off at the MasterCard Center on August 22. Beijing's MasterCard Center, formerly Wukesong Arena, is the site where head coach Mike Krzyzewski led the U.S. Men's Senior National Team to the gold medal at the 2008 Olympics. Tickets can be purchased online at http://en.piao.com.cn/beijing/ticket_4193.html.

Duke will also play exhibition contests in Kunshan (Aug. 17) and Dubai (Aug. 25) during the trip.

sagegrouse

JasonEvans
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
There had been some speculation earlier in the thread that we might be playing the Chinese Junior National Team. I think the latest stuff makes it clear that we are playing the Chinese National Team that competes for World Championships and Olympic Medals. These will be MEN and will be HUGE!

While we will have a huge speed and athleticism advantage, they are going to be a real bear on the boards and in the post. We will likely be facing a legit NBA big man in Yi Jianlian. I expect these to be very competitive games and won't be at all surprised if Duke loses.

--Jason "I like having a real test versus an overmatched opponent -- it will give us stuff to work on from the start" Evans

cbnaylor
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Quick question. Since the game will be on ESPNU, will ESPN3 still show the game?

Bluedog
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
While we will have a huge speed and athleticism advantage, they are going to be a real bear on the boards and in the post. We will likely be facing a legit NBA big man in Yi Jianlian. I expect these to be very competitive games and won't be at all surprised if Duke loses.

--Jason "I like having a real test versus an overmatched opponent -- it will give us stuff to work on from the start" Evans

I would think that if everybody on the Chinese team is actually playing, they'd be the heavy favorites. I mean, they are ranked #10 in the world, according to FIBA. Is this year's Duke team (with a large number of 18-19 year olds) really better than the 10th best country in the world?!? That would seem hard to believe. I would think that a bunch of their top players won't participate, though, but that is just a guess as I don't know their practice schedule and Chinese are obviously very strict about players being committed to the team - so perhaps all of them would play.

--Blue "The UAE team, on the other hand, is not nearly as good" dog

meloveduke
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Quick question. Since the game will be on ESPNU, will ESPN3 still show the game?

Espn3 has them listed on the upcoming list.

Bluedog
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
So, apparently we are NOT playing the Chinese Olympic National Team despite earlier reports. They will be in London playing the London International Basketball Invitational, which runs August 16-21:

http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/basketball/whos-competing/index.html

However, we aren't playing the "junior" Chinese team either, which is typically considered U-19 as far as I know. It looks like we're playing against the U-23 team. Here's the roster:

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?NewsID=234411

China has named 15 players to its Under-23 National Team. The team will play games against Duke University in August.

They still have some serious size. Their three centers measure 7'2", 7', and 7'.

CDu
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
So, apparently we are NOT playing the Chinese Olympic National Team despite earlier reports. They will be in London playing the London International Basketball Invitational, which runs August 16-21:

http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/basketball/whos-competing/index.html

However, we aren't playing the "junior" Chinese team either, which is typically considered U-19 as far as I know. It looks like we're playing against the U-23 team. Here's the roster:

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?NewsID=234411

They still have some serious size. Their three centers measure 7'2", 7', and 7'.

That makes a lot more sense. It would seem unfair for a bunch of 18-21 year old college kids to have to play against a team consisting of many seasoned veterans. Though the heights of the Chinese U-23 team are still impressive, it should at least be a much more similar matchup physically in theory.

watzone
08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Coach K on the differences in the basketballs that will be used - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/coach-k-on-the-difference-in-the-chinese-and-american-basketball/

watzone
08-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Do you want to see two video clips from practice today? I thought you might. Enjoy - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/bdn-video-two-duke-basketball-practice-videos/

MarkD83
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Do you want to see two video clips from practice today? I thought you might. Enjoy - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/bdn-video-two-duke-basketball-practice-videos/

Watzone,

You are awesome. Thanks for the video clips. It is only August and I can't wait for games to start.

dukeballboy88
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I wonder if K could bring back some of that size with him? It be nice to find another Yao Ming that wants to be a Blue Devil for couple years.

watzone
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Here is my chat with Austin Rivers - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/bdn-video-speaks-with-austin-rivers/

CDu
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM

At the risk of reading too much into a pair of 3-4 minute video clips, both videos seemed to suggest what many of us have been saying about the starting five: Curry bringing the ball up, Rivers and Dawkins on the wings, Kelly and Mason in the frontcout. Thornton brought the ball up for the second unit (with Cook out), Gbinije and Murphy played the wing, and Miles was joined with one of Marshall or Hairston in the frontcourt.

I'd expect that first five to be our starting lineup in China/Dubai, and at least to start the season.

watzone
08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Josh Hairston checks in - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/another-1-on-1-interview-josh-hairston-checks-in-with-the-nation/

Bluedog
08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
At the risk of reading too much into a pair of 3-4 minute video clips, both videos seemed to suggest what many of us have been saying about the starting five: Curry bringing the ball up, Rivers and Dawkins on the wings, Kelly and Mason in the frontcout. Thornton brought the ball up for the second unit (with Cook out), Gbinije and Murphy played the wing, and Miles was joined with one of Marshall or Hairston in the frontcourt.

I'd expect that first five to be our starting lineup in China/Dubai, and at least to start the season.

I don't think you're reading into it too much. That is basically what Coach K said during his press conference yesterday. Has this been linked anywhere?

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=901&id=791644

30 minutes long but well worth watching. He says Curry is right now the point guard and has improved his quickness. Austin is adjusting to improving off the ball, Kelly has made some major strides and is a potential matchup problem for opponents since he can space the floor well with his outside shot, and that Mason is set to make large strides this season and have the whole package whereas last season his strength was mostly rebounding. But Coach K said he expects the post guys to get more touches and points. Although I don't recall much mention of Andre actually.

Faison1
08-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Josh Hairston checks in - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/another-1-on-1-interview-josh-hairston-checks-in-with-the-nation/

I am rooting so hard for you this year, Josh!!! Please, please, please, persevere!!!!!

CDu
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think you're reading into it too much. That is basically what Coach K said during his press conference yesterday. Has this been linked anywhere?

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=901&id=791644

30 minutes long but well worth watching. He says Curry is right now the point guard and has improved his quickness. Austin is adjusting to improving off the ball, Kelly has made some major strides and is a potential matchup problem for opponents since he can space the floor well with his outside shot, and that Mason is set to make large strides this season and have the whole package whereas last season his strength was mostly rebounding. But Coach K said he expects the post guys to get more touches and points. Although I don't recall much mention of Andre actually.

Yeah, I figured this was the case, but I wanted to caveat it since I was worried I might be guilty of confirmation bias (since I've been on the Curry/Rivers/Dawkins/Kelly/Mason lineup for a while). Glad to hear Coach K is confirming it. Hopefully it proves a successful combination!

NSDukeFan
08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I figured this was the case, but I wanted to caveat it since I was worried I might be guilty of confirmation bias (since I've been on the Curry/Rivers/Dawkins/Kelly/Mason lineup for a while). Glad to hear Coach K is confirming it. Hopefully it proves a successful combination!

Of course the interesting thing is that we know that this is not likely to be the starting line-up the whole year. It will be interesting to see what combinations are used and what line-ups defend the best throughout the year. So much talent, though a lot of it youthful, should make for a fun year to watch the players and team progress.

Greg_Newton
08-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Of course the interesting thing is that we know that this is not likely to be the starting line-up the whole year. It will be interesting to see what combinations are used and what line-ups defend the best throughout the year. So much talent, though a lot of it youthful, should make for a fun year to watch the players and team progress.

Amen to that!

The seasons where you don't really know what to expect (but have a very high ceiling) are the most fun for me. And I know hasn't said much to the press, but believe me, Coach K is super excited about this team.

"He keeps saying 'We're going to be really good this year', and he never says that..." :):):)

CDu
08-11-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm hopeful it stays the starting lineup for the season, unless someone like Murphy or Gbinije or Cook (when he gets healthy) plays so well that they force their way into the starting lineup. But I fear that a deviation from this lineup (which appears to be the best option now) would more likely signify that something isn't working quite right with one or more of the starters (or there's an injury). In recent years, lineup changes have more frequently come for one of these two reasons.

It will be fun to watch the players and team develop, though. On that I completely agree.

NSDukeFan
08-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm hopeful it stays the starting lineup for the season, unless someone like Murphy or Gbinije or Cook (when he gets healthy) plays so well that they force their way into the starting lineup. But I fear that a deviation from this lineup (which appears to be the best option now) would more likely signify that something isn't working quite right with one or more of the starters (or there's an injury). In recent years, lineup changes have more frequently come for one of these two reasons.

It will be fun to watch the players and team develop, though. On that I completely agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miles defends well enough that he forces himself into the discussion as a starter as well. I am hoping that if there are any changes to the starters it is because another player is really stepping up and deserves more minutes vs. a starter playing poorly (as I'm sure we all are, - some UNC fans here.)

ACCBBallFan
08-11-2011, 01:35 PM

It hurts from a best competition standpoint with Quinn Cook out temporarily to have to play Gbinije or Murphy as the SG, though on the flip side, it helps them develop their ball handling.

Since Dre and Austin are somewhat interchangeable as the WF, it also helps them get used to getting guarded by a taller SF.

ACCBBallFan
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Even if it remains the starting lineup, I would expect that Alex in addition of course to Miles will be big contributors;. Alex if he muscles up enough to play PF, can be every bit the matchup challenge that Ryan is. Gbinije can be the taller defender and all around player when Dre needs a breather and of couse Tyler is a reliable sub (as Quinn will be when he returns).

It's doubtful Marshall Plumlee sees a lot of PT exccept against ciupcakes and if Alex is not strong enough, Josh can fill in at PF.

As the frosh grow some whiskers, coach K has a lot of options at his disposal to never have guys play tired.

CDu
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
It hurts from a best competition standpoint with Quinn Cook out temporarily to have to play Gbinije or Murphy as the SG, though on the flip side, it helps them develop their ball handling.

Since Dre and Austin are somewhat interchangeable as the WF, it also helps them get used to getting guarded by a taller SF.

In response to both of your posts:

1) I don't see Dawkins and Rivers as very interchangeable. I think Curry and Rivers are the more interchangeable pieces in terms of skill set. I wouldn't expect Rivers to be guarded by too many bigger wings given his quickness and ballhandling (I'd love to see teams try that, though). I do think it's useful for Dawkins to get time against bigger wings - though he should be used to that after going against Singler in practice last year.

2) I certainly didn't mean to imply that the backups won't play a role. I fully expect 1-2 of the reserves to average 20+ mpg and another 1-2 guys averaging ~15 mpg and being substantial contributors. There are lots of options to fill those roles. Outside of Miles and maybe one of Gbinije/Murphy, I'm not sure I see someone cracking the starting 5 consistently this year.

Mcluhan
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
The thing about playing Curry, Rivers, and Dawkins at the same time is that you can't sag off of any of them. Leaving one of them open is beyond risky.

For better and for worse this lineup may actually suit Dawkins' tendency to camp out for 3 pointers. But I really hope his overall game takes a step forward this year.

Chris Collins' game was much like Dawkins' at this stage-- it's easy to recall Chris jumping up and down and waving for a cross-court pass-- but by the end of his career he'd developed more of a dribble drive game, and could distribute in tandem with Capel. I think Collins was more of a natural ball-handler than Dawkins is now, but Andre has the ability to develop a more 3-dimensional game.

In other news, I hope that Rivers and Curry in particular will look to send baby alley-oops toward our big guys. And in general, I'm struck by how much more common the alley-oop has become in both the college and pro-game. That floater/alley-oop hybrid is relatively new as a common offensive option. And as with the 3-pointer some time ago, Duke was among the first to embrace and fully exploit a new wrinkle in the game.

BD80
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
... For better and for worse this lineup may actually suit Dawkins' tendency to camp out for 3 pointers. ...

Chris Collins' game was much like Dawkins' at this stage-- it's easy to recall Chris jumping up and down and waving for a cross-court pass-- ...

Chris used to treat the three-point line like it was a boundary to a mine field.

Newton_14
08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Even if it remains the starting lineup, I would expect that Alex in addition of course to Miles will be big contributors;. Alex if he muscles up enough to play PF, can be every bit the matchup challenge that Ryan is. Gbinije can be the taller defender and all around player when Dre needs a breather and of couse Tyler is a reliable sub (as Quinn will be when he returns).

After seeing Alex in person at the Summer League, I do not expect to see a lot of him at the 4 this year. Very light up top. Needs to add quite a bit of bulk before he is ready to bang down low in ACC Ball. As he gains strength and bulk, he will be able to play the 4 more. Based on what I saw, I would expect to see Alex at the 3 more often this year.

Which is fine really. We have enough guys capable of playing PF this year. If we go small at times, I think it more likely that Silent G grabs a few minutes at the 4 than Alex based on strength and hops. Kid is strong and can get up. I love both players though. Bright future.

Greg_Newton
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
In other news, I hope that Rivers and Curry in particular will look to send baby alley-oops toward our big guys. And in general, I'm struck by how much more common the alley-oop has become in both the college and pro-game. That floater/alley-oop hybrid is relatively new as a common offensive option. And as with the 3-pointer some time ago, Duke was among the first to embrace and fully exploit a new wrinkle in the game.

The one that started it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ikaIDz-Ck :)

I don't even like the Lakers, but that was a pretty awesome moment.

BD80
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
The one that started it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ikaIDz-Ck :)

I don't even like the Lakers, but that was a pretty awesome moment.

Well, this one started it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zjIzj0nHM

cowetarock
08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Should we consider the game in Kunshan to be our first home game ever to be played in China?

BD80
08-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Should we consider the game in Kunshan to be our first home game ever to be played in China?

It has to be. Everybody knows that Coach K doesn't schedule away games.

roywhite
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Bon voyage to the team, coaches, and assorted travelers.

They are leaving today (Sunday 8/14) at 3:00 PM.

What a great experience this should be.

Mcluhan
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Bon voyage to the team, coaches, and assorted travelers.

They are leaving today (Sunday 8/14) at 3:00 PM.

What a great experience this should be.

I'm HYPED. A few things I'm trying to keep in mind:

1. A loss in one of these games would earn us jeers from everyone else for the remainder of the offseason, but wouldn't be the worst thing in terms of getting this team focused as we move towards Autumn.

2. While I think we're all itching to get some indication of this team's composition and capabilities, these games offer only a small sample size under very unique circumstances. We usually jump to conclusions after the Blue-White game, but this year we risk jumping to conclusions in frickin' August! I'm especially going to try to avoid drawing firm conclusions on individual's stats and minutes.

One thing I'm curious to see is what kind of balance Coach K will strike between experimenting and giving the best present lineup the lion's share of the minutes. Probably depends on how good the other teams are.

Greg_Newton
08-15-2011, 04:04 AM
...Is mistaken, I believe, in saying the games are only on ESPN3. Unless something has changed - and my channel guide wasn't informed - the middle two games are on ESPNU and the final game is on ESPN.

However, I think the Clark Kent observation is dead on... ;)

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/600/QG/QGSXICMJCWSOBMV.20110815021100.gif http://blog.lensway.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/clark-kent-glasses.jpg

Faison1
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Did I read the article right, in that Duke Hoops is taking 200 people along for the ride?

Did Duke Charter an entire plane for this? And if so, who gets first class seating?

This trip must be pretty pricey, no?

JasonEvans
08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
For folks who have not heard, the trip has been delayed a day (http://dukechronicle.com/article/duke-basketball-international-tour-delayed-day) because of plane problems.

A representative from Anthony Travel, the travel agency in charge of the trip, apologized to guests for the delay and announced that the company would book hotel rooms for all passengers who needed a place to sleep. The group was instructed to arrive at the airport Monday morning at 10 a.m. for a flight now scheduled for noon.

I love the part about K assuring everyone they would not be forced to fly commercial!! Ha!

-Jason "the adventure begins... one day late" Evans

hurleyfor3
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
A scheduled stop in ANC sounds weird nowadays, but I guess 767s can't make the trip nonstop.

Jim3k
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I may not be reading FlightAware correctly, but it looks like the North American Airlines charter today (NAO 70) from RDU to ANC is a Boeing 757, not a 767. Also, at the time of this writing, it looks to be further delayed. (Woops, just took off.)

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NAO70

Here is a link to North American's fleet. http://www.flynaa.com/fleetinformation.aspx It shows that its 757s have two configurations: a) 30 Premium Economy and 154 Economy or b) 199 Economy Class seats.

billyj
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Best luck to the team and other 100 something people (I assume booster, cheerleaders and lucky people)

When will the game be in US time? since the plane was delayed?

hurleyfor3
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
I may not be reading FlightAware correctly, but it looks like the North American Airlines charter today (NAO 70) from RDU to ANC is a Boeing 757, not a 767. Also, at the time of this writing, it looks to be further delayed. (Woops, just took off.)

Here is a link to North American's fleet. http://www.flynaa.com/fleetinformation.aspx It shows that its 757s have two configurations: a) 30 Premium Economy and 154 Economy or b) 199 Economy Class seats.

Wow, RDU-ANC is right at the limit of a 757's cruising range depending on model. ANC-PVG may be too far (3743 nm), so I'm guessing they have to stop in Japan somewhere.

That said, their departure time from RDU (~1330 EDT) is about when most commercial transpacs depart from the US. Even with two stops they would have no problem arriving Tuesday evening Shangai time. Then they can go straight to bed. Jetlag has never really been a problem for me heading west.

Sorry to hijack this thread into avaiation-geek discussion, everyone!

Bluedog
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM
so I'm guessing they have to stop in Japan somewhere...
Sorry to hijack this thread into avaiation-geek discussion, everyone!

You are correct. They are stopping in Hokkaidō, Japan (RJCC / CTS). Nice! Looks like they're landing in Alaska in 15 minutes or so.

Bob Green
08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
They are stopping in Hokkaidō, Japan (RJCC / CTS).

The New Chitose Airport serves the city of Sapporo on the northern island of Hokkaido.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Is there flight information available for the next flight(s) too? One of the cheerleader moms would like to track it. :cool:

Actually, it looks like the same link will work all the way to China!

Bluedog
08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Is there flight information available for the next flight(s) too? One of the cheerleader moms would like to track it. :cool:

That link still works for me and now shows the next flight...But here's another direct one with the next leg: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NAO70/history/20110816/0300Z/PANC/RJCC

Leaving AK in 40 minutes.

JasonEvans
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Coach Collins just tweeted-- they just made it to Shanghai. First game tomorrow night. Jet lag could be a factor.

-Jason

Bluedog
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Coach Collins just tweeted-- they just made it to Shanghai. First game tomorrow night. Jet lag could be a factor.

-Jason

Excellent. Although it's tomorrow night, at least it's still something like 40 hours away (i.e. almost two days). I'm sure they'll all be tired from the trip and it's 1:56 AM in Shanghai now so they'll sleep in late today. Then they have a day to re acclimate a bit and can again sleep in late the next day since the game is not until the evening. So, certainly jet lag could be a factor but at least it's a night game and they can have two nights of sleep beforehand (even though tonight's sleep is probably not beginning until like 3 AM). I think jet lag going back to the US is definitely worse, but everybody's body responds differently.

jimrowe0
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Excellent. Although it's tomorrow night, at least it's still something like 40 hours away (i.e. almost two days). I'm sure they'll all be tired from the trip and it's 1:56 AM in Shanghai now so they'll sleep in late today. Then they have a day to re acclimate a bit and can again sleep in late the next day since the game is not until the evening. So, certainly jet lag could be a factor but at least it's a night game and they can have two nights of sleep beforehand (even though tonight's sleep is probably not beginning until like 3 AM). I think jet lag going back to the US is definitely worse, but everybody's body responds differently.

Actually the first game they play is in 16 hours. They play the first scrimmage on Wednesday at 8 pm in China (its already 2am in China on Wednesday). However this game isn't being televised, but there will be a shortened version of the game available on goduke.com tommorow sometime. The second game (Thursday night) which would be in 40 hours will be televised on ESPNU. Mods please correct me if I am wrong.

Indoor66
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I quickly looked in the thread but could not locate the game times a broadcast channels and schedule. Will someone re-post that schedule?

Bluedog
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Actually the first game they play is in 16 hours. They play the first scrimmage on Wednesday at 8 pm in China (its already 2am in China on Wednesday). However this game isn't being televised, but there will be a shortened version of the game available on goduke.com tommorow sometime. The second game (Thursday night) which would be in 40 hours will be televised on ESPNU. Mods please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, my mistake! I apologize. Yeah, I was going by the TV schedule but forgot there was a game before the first TV game. And I'm getting my days confused. Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.

Turtleboy
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I quickly looked in the thread but could not locate the game times a broadcast channels and schedule. Will someone re-post that schedule?Shirley.

From post #80 --

CDu is absolutely right. Here's a bit more information and a clarification on the games:

August 17: Duke plays an exhibition game in Kunshan, which is a suburb of Shanghai (against whom?).

August 18: the Devils open the new Mercedes-Benz Arena in the Friendship Games against the Chinese National team. (TV: ESPNU - August 18, 800AM EDT).

August 22: Devils play the National team again in Beijing, Master Card Center. (TV - ESPNU - August 22, 800AM EDT).

August 25: Duke plays an exhibition against the Dubai National team in Dubai. (TV - ESPNU - August 25, 130PM EDT).

It looks like the first game, called an exhibition, will not be telecast.

NOTE: ALL GAMES ARE BROADCAST ON THE SAME DAY AS SCHEDULED. I.e., 800PM, August 18 in China is 800AM EDT, August 18.

Bob Green
08-16-2011, 02:27 PM

-Jason

Jetlag has never really been a problem for me heading west.

I've flown TransPacific many times and agree with hurleyfor3, the Jetlag shouldn't be a big deal in China. The trip home will be a different story.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-16-2011, 02:32 PM

-Jason
Thanks for the update. The flight tracking link still shows the flight as just off the Alaskan coast, i.e., out of range of the service, not yet reaching Japan. I'm surprised it never updated when it reached Japan.

MChambers
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I've flown TransPacific many times and agree with hurleyfor3, the Jetlag shouldn't be a big deal in China. The trip home will be a different story.
Luckily, they probably have time to recover before the first game in the U.S. in November!

jimrowe0
08-17-2011, 07:50 AM
The game is about to tip-off. The starting line-up is Curry, River, Dawkins, Kelly, and Miles.

dukeballboy88
08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Anywhere I can follow the game?

MIKESJ73
08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
dukeblueplanet Duke Basketball
Dre just threw down a power one-hand slam on the Chinese defender to bring the Duke bench off their feet. 21-15, Dre has 8.
1 minute ago

11-11 at end of 1st quarter. Playing international rules. Back to 1st group of 5 for start of 2nd quarter.
6 minutes ago »

Hockey style line change brings in Alex, Mike, Ty, Mase, Josh. 9-8 Duke.
19 minutes ago »

#friendshipgames about to tip. Austin, Seth, Dre, Ryan, Miles starting it off.
27 minutes ago

gumbomoop
08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks to MIKESJ73 for the Tweet updates. Here's the direct link:

http://twitter.com/#!/dukeblueplanet

nmduke2001
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Dre just threw down a power one-hand slam on the Chinese defender to bring the Duke bench off their feet. 21-15, Dre has 8.
1 minute ago

11-11 at end of 1st quarter. Playing international rules. Back to 1st group of 5 for start of 2nd quarter.
6 minutes ago »

Hockey style line change brings in Alex, Mike, Ty, Mase, Josh. 9-8 Duke.
19 minutes ago »

#friendshipgames about to tip. Austin, Seth, Dre, Ryan, Miles starting it off.
27 minutes ago

Thanks for posting. Twitter is blocked at work, so if you could keep posting here that would be awesome.

MIKESJ73
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
57-43 after 3. Quarters are 10 minutes w/ 24 second shot clock and international wider lane. Austin has 13, 12 for Ryan.
3 minutes ago »

Big group of Duke MBA cross-continent students here. Local fans responded to "Let's go Duke" with strong China chant. #friendshipgames
9 minutes ago »

China hit a 3 while Super Mario Bros theme played. Seth answered with a 3. 51-34.
18 minutes ago »

Lively crowd that seems to really enjoy the game here. Fun environment. 32-23 at the half. Dre and Austin have 8. 6 for Ryan.
45 minutes ago »

Arena plays music during play, plus shooting star sound effect for most jumpers. And "baby you're a firework" after made FTs by China.
47 minutes ago

MIKESJ73
08-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Pic of Dre dunking on a pretty big guy...1992

dukebballcamper90-91
08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
75-61 with 1:26 to go. Game-high 18 for Austin. 15 for Dre. Strong 2nd half for Seth has him at 13.

devildeac
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Saw we were up 57-43 with 1:26 to play.

Hopefully we went to the delay game:o.

Guess we get all the international calls, too:D.

dcar1985
08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Saw we were up 57-43 with 1:26 to play.

Hopefully we went to the delay game:o.

Guess we get all the international calls, too:D.

Last report I saw had us up 75-61 w/ 1:26 to go...either way looks like we're winning

Game high 18 for Austin, 15 for Dre and Seth w/ 13

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
@Duke_MBB Duke Men's Hoops:

Duke wins 77-64 in Kunshan. Rivers nets team-high 18 pts, while Dawkins, Kelly + Curry also reach double figures

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Interesting that Miles started instead of Mason. Also that neither Mason nor Miles reached double-figures in scoring. I'm looking forward to actually watching tomorrow's game instead of just watching tweets about it.

gwlaw99
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Anyone have any ideas where to find a box score?

devildeac
08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Last report I saw had us up 75-61 w/ 1:26 to go...either way looks like we're winning

Game high 18 for Austin, 15 for Dre and Seth w/ 13

I stand corrected. Transposed my 3Q score with a time remaining note from another site.

hurleyfor3
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Anyone know whose rules are we using on these games? I assume FIBA's.

jimrowe0
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Interesting that Miles started instead of Mason. Also that neither Mason nor Miles reached double-figures in scoring. I'm looking forward to actually watching tomorrow's game instead of just watching tweets about it.

A condensed version of the game will be available for viewing this afternoon on Goduke.com if you’re a premium member.

Bluedog
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Anyone know whose rules are we using on these games? I assume FIBA's.

Quarters are 10 minutes w/ 24 second shot clock and wider lines. So, I guess that's FIBA rules. Nice win! I hope to see Dre's monster jam on video. And looking forward to being able to actually watch the other games on TV.

Duvall
08-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I hope to see Dre's monster jam on video.

Don't expect to see DBP highlights on YouTube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_People's_Republic_ of_China).

Boxscore (http://twitgoo.com/2nkqq1).

Farn
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Picture of box score courtesy of DBP on Twitter

ScreechTDX1847
08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Three point shooting was off today.

hurleyfor3
08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Wow, 31-19 foul discrepancy and 40-15 free throw discrepancy in favor of the home team. China gets all the calls.

Bluedog
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Three point shooting was off today.

At least Dawkins went 4-6. Curry shooting 12 threes does sound like a lot (and only making 3). We outrebounded them 52-40 which was a bit surprising considering their size. Kelly led the way with 11 while Hairston and Miles were second with 7. Mason only had 3 rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Luckily, China can't shoot apparently. Left 22 points on the board by missing free throws.

gwlaw99
08-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks! Rivers and Dre shot for a good percentage. Rivers had 5 assists which is good to see. Seth 3 for 12 from 3pt range and only 1 assist-- ouch, but the longer international 3 point line could have thrown off his shot (Austin as well).

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Highlights from reading the box score:

Mason had two dunks and no other shots, for 6 points and 3 rebounds in 16 minutes. What's up with that?

Miles only took 3 shots, made two of them for 4 points and 7 rebounds.

Marshall played only 5 minutes but missed 4 shots.

Ryan had 14 points (6 for 9 shooting), 11 rebounds, with 2 blocks and 2 steals. Wow.

Andre shot 4 for 6 on threes (17 points), and had 6 boards, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Nice.

Austin led the team with 5 assists; he scored 18 points but only shot 1 for 5 from 3-pointland.

Seth shot 3 for 12 from 3-ville, and only had 1 assist.

Alex had 2 blocks and a steal.

Josh had 7 rebounds in 12 minutes.

Tyler had 3 steals, but zero assists against 3 turnovers.

Seth lead the team with 28 minutes; Ryan played 26, Austin 24, and Andre 23. Six other guys played between 12 and 16 minutes.

The team put up 11 assists to 24 turnovers. Ouch.

bass-piscator
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Ryan Kelly. 14 pts. and 11 rebs including 6 OR. Nice, very nice.

devildeac
08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Wow, 31-19 foul discrepancy and 40-15 free throw discrepancy in favor of the home team. China gets all the calls.

Yea, who reffed that game?:rolleyes:

gwlaw99
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Ryan Kelly. 14 pts. and 11 rebs including 6 OR. Nice, very nice.

It must be the beard.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Yea, who reffed that game?:rolleyes:
A little home cookin' can be excused for one game. The team will adjust; they better anyway. And besides, almost everyone likes Chinese food! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_drool.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif
Ju... nope, not gonna say it. I've learned my lesson.

CDu
08-17-2011, 12:49 PM
From the box score, it looks like we took (and missed) a lot of 3s. Only Dawkins appears to have shot it well. Rivers appears to have gotten a lot of layups/dunks to have shot 7-10 from 2pt range. Sounds like it was a very nice game for Kelly and a great shooting game for Dawkins.

It appeared to be a sloppy game too: 24 TO. Not unexpected from the first time playing a "real" game together. But that's somewhere we'll need to improve.

The only real oddities were Mason not starting and getting so few minutes and so little productivity. Perhaps he was a bit under the weather or dinged up. Perhaps it was the international game, which favors more skilled (offensively) big men. It'll be nice to see tomorrow's game!

CDu
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Odd question, but can someone tell me what "FB," "FBA," and "FR" represent? I'm pretty sure the "A" in "FBA" is attempts, but I don't know what the FB is (it's not FG, 3pt FG, or FT). And I can't tell what "FR" is (maybe fouls drawn?).

MChambers
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Odd question, but can someone tell me what "FB," "FBA," and "FR" represent? I'm pretty sure the "A" in "FBA" is attempts, but I don't know what the FB is (it's not FG, 3pt FG, or FT). And I can't tell what "FR" is (maybe fouls drawn?).

Think FR is fouls drawn or received, since the FR of the Chinese team equals the F of Duke, and vice versa. Am as baffled as you on the FB and FBA.

sporthenry
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Don't worry had the same question about FB. FR is fouls drawn given that you can see the other team's numbers and probably comes from the soccer aspect.

tbyers11
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM

I think FB and FBA represent shots made on a Fast Break (FB) and shot attempts on a Fast Break (FBA). Austin was 3 for 3 in this category and this seems to coincide logically with his 2 dunks (which most likely would have been in transition). Same for Seth's 1 FB and 1 FBA and his 1 dunk. I don't see Seth making many dunks that aren't on a break-away.

devildeac
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I think FB and FBA represent shots made on a Fast Break (FB) and shot attempts on a Fast Break (FBA). Austin was 3 for 3 in this category and this seems to coincide logically with his 2 dunks (which most likely would have been in transition). Same for Seth's 1 FB and 1 FBA and his 1 dunk. I don't see Seth making many dunks that aren't on a break-away.

Dang, this makes more sense. I was gonna nominate Floor Burns and Floor Burns Attempted and rave about our defense:o.

tw7
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

tbyers is correct. The legend at the bottom of the box score reads, in Chinese, FB = Fast Break (succeeded), FBA = Fast Break Attempted.

77devil
08-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Looks like another season of under performing post play. We're doomed.

Seriously, though, it's hard to conclude much from a box score. Looking forward to watching the action. Duke basketball in August is nice.

hurleyfor3
08-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Well, at least we're scheduling true road games.

Bob Green
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM

Nicely played. You got the jump on the masses and it is only August. :D

CDu
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM

That does make sense. Although Seth didn't get credited with a dunk by my eye. Mason and Kelly (the two guys above and below Curry on the box score) did, but not Curry. But I do think that "fast break" is a good guess for FB.

Thanks to all who rescued me on these newfangled stats!

superdave
08-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Yeah, jet lagged road games against grown men too.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the distribution of minutes considering Coach K apparently subbed 5 guys in at once in the 1st quarter.

gwlaw99
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
goduke.com says Miles had 10 rebounds. The posted box score says 7.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205244124&DB_OEM_ID=4200

devildeac
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM

IDK about that. I thought we had a campus in China already or is it still under construction?

CDu
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, jet lagged road games against grown men too.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the distribution of minutes considering Coach K apparently subbed 5 guys in at once in the 1st quarter.

I thought it was clarified we were playing the U-23 team, since the men's national team is in England right now. If so, the matchup was not actually grown men.

And I'm not terribly worried about the distribution of minutes. Just thought it was interesting.

Bob Green
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
But I do think that "fast break" is a good guess for FB.

I don't think it is a guess seeing as tw7 provided a translation:

tbyers is correct. The legend at the bottom of the box score reads, in Chinese, FB = Fast Break (succeeded), FBA = Fast Break Attempted.

CDu
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't think it is a guess seeing as tw7 provided a translation:

Well, if you're going to nitpick, I'll nitpick back. It WAS a guess (albeit an educated guess) from tbyers, hence the "I think." It wasn't a guess by tw7, but I hadn't read tw7's post yet.

I apologize if I was reading more nitpickiness than was really there.

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
goduke.com says Miles had 10 rebounds. The posted box score says 7.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205244124&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I noticed several other discrepancies between the box score and the article (Ryan's rebounds, Andre's and Seth's points). Oh well, we probably shouldn't be hanging on every little statistic in a pre-pre-season exhibition game on the other side of the world, anyway.

Bob Green
08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I apologize if I was reading more nitpickiness than was really there.

No apology necessary as I'm sure I was nitpicking more than I intended.

meloveduke
08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I was thinking they would miss a few shots, considering the ball is different then what they have grown up playing with. K said its not a lot different, but different enough.

Thanks for the highlights guys.

CDu
08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I was thinking they would miss a few shots, considering the ball is different then what they have grown up playing with. K said its not a lot different, but different enough.

Thanks for the highlights guys.

The size of the lane is different as well (which affects the big men), and there are a few other rules differences as well. Between the travel, different ball, and first game jitters, I agree that the mediocre 3pt shooting was to be expected.

licc85
08-17-2011, 03:25 PM
A couple things bothered me a lot after looking at that box score. The first thing, which some have already mentioned, is the turnovers . . . with so many good ball handlers, it's crazy that we coughed up the ball 24 times. Miles had 4 turnovers by himself . . . that's not good enough. Second thing . . we didn't get to the free throw line at all. Seems like we continually settled for jumpers again and again. That's how you lose games in the NCAA tournament, by not getting easy points at the foul line. The Chinese team shot FORTY free throws to our FIFTEEN. I understand they were a bigger team, but that's just not acceptable. We've got to work on that, especially Austin, who only shot 2 free throws, and should be living at the foul line. Seth took 12 3s . . . if he's the point guard, he needs to be getting in the paint more than that.

One positive I did take from this game is that we did a good job of rebounding. We outrebounded them 52-40, and that's something we need to focus on. With our size up front, we should be able to grab the majority of the boards against most of our opponents this year, as long as Kelly and the Plumlees stay tough and play physical on both ends.

Yeah, I know, this is kind of a lot of assumptions to take from a box score, but they are easy assumptions to make, especially how atrocious our ball handling was. (0.46 A/T ratio . . . wow) So . . work on being more aggressive on offense, and take care of the ball. Keep rebounding well. I guess we'll get to actually see whats going on next game.

Duvall
08-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Nope (http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/Friendship-Games/Shoot-Around-in-Kunshan/18583434_cGjKjT#1435548918_G2Sthnk).

licc85
08-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Nope (http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/Friendship-Games/Shoot-Around-in-Kunshan/18583434_cGjKjT#1435548918_G2Sthnk).

Hahaha, NICE. I think that game was played on Duke's Kunshan Campus, right? So, it technically WAS a home game for us.

NashvilleDevil
08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
A couple things bothered me a lot after looking at that box score. The first thing, which some have already mentioned, is the turnovers . . . with so many good ball handlers, it's crazy that we coughed up the ball 24 times. Miles had 4 turnovers by himself . . . that's not good enough. Second thing . . we didn't get to the free throw line at all. Seems like we continually settled for jumpers again and again. That's how you lose games in the NCAA tournament, by not getting easy points at the foul line. The Chinese team shot FORTY free throws to our FIFTEEN. I understand they were a bigger team, but that's just not acceptable. We've got to work on that, especially Austin, who only shot 2 free throws, and should be living at the foul line. Seth took 12 3s . . . if he's the point guard, he needs to be getting in the paint more than that.

One positive I did take from this game is that we did a good job of rebounding. We outrebounded them 52-40, and that's something we need to focus on. With our size up front, we should be able to grab the majority of the boards against most of our opponents this year, as long as Kelly and the Plumlees stay tough and play physical on both ends.

Yeah, I know, this is kind of a lot of assumptions to take from a box score, but they are easy assumptions to make, especially how atrocious our ball handling was. (0.46 A/T ratio . . . wow) So . . work on being more aggressive on offense, and take care of the ball. Keep rebounding well. I guess we'll get to actually see whats going on next game.

This post would make sense after a surprising loss to Wake or State in which the team played like the numbers show. But to criticize their play after travelling around the world Monday and not having much practice time in country is ludicrous and I say that because I do not detect any sarcasm in this post.

licc85
08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
This post would make sense after a surprising loss to Wake or State in which the team played like the numbers show. But to criticize their play after travelling around the world Monday and not having much practice time is a little ludicrous and I say that because I do not detect any sarcasm in this post.

Nope, I have high standards for my Devils, and 10 practices is plenty of practice time. I'm Chinese, so I take a particular interest in these games. I'd like to see us crush them next game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Sheesh... they've barely practiced together let alone played together. It's August, dude. Relax!

CDu
08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Sheesh... they've barely practiced together let alone played together. It's August, dude. Relax!

Agreed. Not to mention the long flight they just took. If the trend continues into November/December, I might get concerned. But I think it's unrealistic to expect the team to be fully sharp in their very first game after such little practice and after such a long trip and in a foreign environment (both location and style of play).

NashvilleDevil
08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Nope, I have high standards for my Devils.

All Duke fans have high standards for the team but most understand that after all the travel yesterday and little prep time in country that the kids would be rusty. If they played like this during the season then the criticisms would be warranted but today it really makes no sense.

MChambers
08-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Nicely played. You got the jump on the masses and it is only August. :D

I'm surprised no one is suggesting leaving Wojo in China and bringing back a tall big man coach, even if he doesn't speak English.

licc85
08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
All Duke fans have high standards for the team but most understand that after all the travel yesterday and little prep time in country that the kids would be rusty. If they played like this during the season then the criticisms would be warranted but today it really makes no sense.

Okay, I was probably too harsh, what with the jet lag and everything. Trust me, I've made that flight many more times than 99% of Americans ever will, and I understand what it's like. But still, Coach K probably wasn't glowing about the team's performance, either.

NashvilleDevil
08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
and 10 practices is plenty of practice time.

You're kidding right? With the youth of this team there are going to be plenty of growing pains even after 100 practices let alone 10 practices and a transcontinental flight.

dchen09
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Well one thing about the T/O situation is that offensive fouls count as turnovers. We don't know how the game was called or when the fouls occurred so it could have easily been much lower "actual" turnover rate and a higher assist rate as some assists may have been wiped out by a offensive foul. Plus, haven (sp?) taken the flight back to China, I don't function at all the next day. Really quite out of it so I can easily attribute some of those turnovers to jetlag.

Duvall
08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Agreed. Not to mention the long flight they just took. If the trend continues into November/December, I might get concerned. But I think it's unrealistic to expect the team to be fully sharp in their very first game after such little practice and after such a long trip and in a foreign environment (both location and style of play).

And not just style of play, but a different set of rules, where traveling is actually called. They're even playing with a different ball!

Duvall
08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised no one is suggesting leaving Wojo in China and bringing back a tall big man coach, even if he doesn't speak English.

Hmm (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Players/Dukes-Decade-Top-50-Photos/Yao-Ming-cropped/750902088_2HhsY-L.jpg).

hurleyfor3
08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Crap. I want hammer and sickle logos next time. It needs to be like in Rocky IV, which not coincidentally had a "Duke" presence.

CDu
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Well one thing about the T/O situation is that offensive fouls count as turnovers. We don't know how the game was called or when the fouls occurred so it could have easily been much lower "actual" turnover rate and a higher assist rate as some assists may have been wiped out by a offensive foul. Plus, haven (sp?) taken the flight back to China, I don't function at all the next day. Really quite out of it so I can easily attribute some of those turnovers to jetlag.

An offensive foul is still a bad thing, because it's still a turnover rate. It's not a "bad pass" turnover or a "got it stolen" turnover, but it's still a turnover. I'd also guess there were few (if any) offensive fouls that took away assists. The assist stats look about right for this team, in that we don't have a lot of pass-first guys (Rivers and Curry are both score-first guards).

That said, I am fully in agreement that we shouldn't worry too much about a single high-turnover, low-assist game.

devildeac
08-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Hahaha, NICE. I think that game was played on Duke's Kunshan Campus, right? So, it technically WAS a home game for us.

Looking more and more like a "home" game.

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news_events/feature_stories/china_partnership/

http://today.duke.edu/2010/01/kunshan.html

:D

JasonEvans
08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Okay, I was probably too harsh, what with the jet lag and everything. Trust me, I've made that flight many more times than 99% of Americans ever will, and I understand what it's like. But still, Coach K probably wasn't glowing about the team's performance, either.

It is worth noting that Duke may have "settled" for jupshots because--

1) We were playing a Chinese team that likely included a HUGE front-line, both bigger and physically stronger than us.
2) We have only been practicing a couple weeks and much of that practice was likely rudimentary stuff.
3) Developing an effective inside game requires a lot more practice than the perimeter game -- especially when your perimeter guys are good at going one-on-one.
4) We were playing with international refs, who likely call the game differently than we are used to -- impacting physical interior play more than perimeter finesse play.
5) We were playing on an international court with the wider international lane, perhaps affecting the ability of our big men to get the kind of position they are used to.
6) None of us saw the game to see the character of it. Perhaps the Chinese were playing a packed-in zone or some other D designed to keep the ball away from our bigs.

So, I am not too worried about it right now. It is waay too early to be trying to determine team tendencies yet. What's more, if we turn into largely a perimeter offensive team, it will hardly be the first time Duke has taken on that character. We've won national titles with perimeter focused teams so I have a hard time getting all worked up into a lather over it if that happens to be the way this team ends up.

-Jason "eager to see us play -- it will tell us a lot more than the boxscore will" Evans

CDu
08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
So, I am not too worried about it right now. It is waay too early to be trying to determine team tendencies yet. What's more, if we turn into largely a perimeter offensive team, it will hardly be the first time Duke has taken on that character. We've won national titles with perimeter focused teams so I have a hard time getting all worked up into a lather over it if that happens to be the way this team ends up.

-Jason "eager to see us play -- it will tell us a lot more than the boxscore will" Evans

I agree with all of what you said. I'd also go a step further and say that I'd be more surprised if we didn't turn into a largely perimeter-oriented offensive team, given the skill sets of the players on the roster and given that we've generally been a predominantly perimeter-oriented offensive team in the last decade or so.

subzero02
08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Nope, I have high standards for my Devils, and 10 practices is plenty of practice time.

heck, they should've peaked after 5 practices. ( the freshmen might've needed 6)

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
A couple things bothered me a lot after looking at that box score.

All I have to say about this is nothing about this trip should bother you "a lot." The early practices and games are pure bonus. Even if we play terribly and lose, this can only help us.

These games mean nothing. It's all about getting ready for the season.

MChambers
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
All I have to say about this is nothing about this trip should bother you "a lot." The early practices and games are pure bonus. Even if we play terribly and lose, this can only help us.

These games mean nothing. It's all about getting ready for the season.

You mean it's not time to say: "It's over"?

Kedsy
08-17-2011, 05:20 PM
You mean it's not time to say: "It's over"?

Well, based on history, it's always time for that.

licc85
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Didn't see anyone mention these, so I'll just post a link, it's a page with Duke Blue Planet's pictures of the trip so far:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2011-12/Friendship-Games

Dre's epic tomahawk jam is chronicled in pics #27-30. Anybody notice Ryan sporting a new goatee? Makes him look a bit tougher, I like it.

roywhite
08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
What a summer treat to get some Duke basketball; looking forward to seeing the games that ESPN-U carries.

With disclaimers about exhibition game, it's early, etc., the game account and boxscore from today indicate two very reasonable trends:

1. We'll play a deep rotation
2. The highest number of shot attempts should go to Curry, Rivers, and Kelly, with Dawkins up there too.

tele
08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Hmm (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Players/Dukes-Decade-Top-50-Photos/Yao-Ming-cropped/750902088_2HhsY-L.jpg).

Already scheduled?

http://dukechronicle.com/article/grant-hill-yao-ming-kyrie-irving-and-doc-rivers-join-duke-stints-china

zoroaster
08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Didn't see anyone mention these, so I'll just post a link, it's a page with Duke Blue Planet's pictures of the trip so far:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2011-12/Friendship-Games

Dre's epic tomahawk jam is chronicled in pics #27-30. Anybody notice Ryan sporting a new goatee? Makes him look a bit tougher, I like it.

It's nice to see Nolan is there, from the pics, along with Grant and Kyrie (as mentioned in the Chronicle article).. as well as Austin's father Doc. Very cool.

Newton_14
08-17-2011, 08:11 PM
My "key" points from today in order:
1. Andre's dunk was awesome (World meet Jr First Team All-ACC Andre Dawkins):)
2. I'm 45 yrs old but not too old to notice that Austin River's shoes rocked! Awesome kicks!:cool:
3. MP3 - The wrong shade of blue Nike's!! Seriously, those have to go!:(

I look forward to watching tomorrow's game on DVR when I get home from work to see how the guys look. Box Score is a terrible way to judge a game. Can't record intangibles.

uh_no
08-17-2011, 09:36 PM
3. MP3 - The wrong shade of blue Nike's!! Seriously, those have to go!:(

Rookie Hazing

karmacoma
08-17-2011, 10:24 PM
It's nice to see Nolan is there, from the pics, along with Grant and Kyrie (as mentioned in the Chronicle article).. as well as Austin's father Doc. Very cool.

If only Shane were in that picture of Grant and Nolan, my three favorites from the last 20 years would have been in that one shot! And how cool was the Nicholas School of the Environment tee on Grant?! :D

elvis14
08-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Reading about today's game is like getting water in the desert! I think I'm going to be "working from home" in the morning and calling into my 11:00 meeting. I can't wait all day to watch the game. (If anyone from NetApp reads this....you didn't read this and you don't know who I am).

sagegrouse
08-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Reading about today's game is like getting water in the desert! I think I'm going to be "working from home" in the morning and calling into my 11:00 meeting. I can't wait all day to watch the game. (If anyone from NetApp reads this....you didn't read this and you don't know who I am).

You live in the wrong time zone. I get a comfortable 630AM tipoff -- time enough to even brew up some tea before the game.

sagegrouse
'"Flyover country" does not include the Rocky Mountains'

elvis14
08-17-2011, 11:26 PM
You live in the wrong time zone. I get a comfortable 630AM tipoff -- time enough to even brew up some tea before the game.

sagegrouse

Although that 6:30am start time would help me to get to work at a decent hour....I'm not exactly a morning person! The kids bus picks them up at 7:50am. That give me 10 minutes to pick a Duke shirt and hat for the game and grab some breakfast!

msdukie
08-17-2011, 11:35 PM

It would be hard to play a game on a campus that isn't built yet. Also, pretty sure that our new business school doesn't need a basketball arena.

dukeballboy88
08-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Man Im so hype right now I cant sleep. Got my dad and brother coming over in the morn and we gona throw some pancakes and bacon on the grill and wash it down with some frozen muggs of Tropicana Orange juice. Ima put my jersey on and ill probably be in mid season form yelling at the refs and couch coaching like I always do. Lets get hype!

Dev11
08-18-2011, 12:48 AM

sagegrouse

But I thought its starting at 6, not 6:30? That's what my tv says.

Also, as this is a game we will actually get to watch, can we have proper game threads for it? I'm an active reader, not participator, so don't value my opinion too much.

Is anybody extremely pumped to watch live Duke basketball in August?!

tele
08-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Since the game will be on ESPN3, at 8am eastern time, it should also be available later on in the replay selection on espn3. So if you can't watch it live and don't get it recorded on dvr, it still will be there to see online later in the day or the next day. I believe they keep the replays around for a few days.

Duke05
08-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Apologies if this has already been posted (didn't see it when I looked through the China threads), but here's DBP's highlight reel for the 8/17 game that wasn't televised. Dre's dunk is sick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknUclqpYqs&feature=youtube_gdata

Duke05
08-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Apologies if this has already been posted (didn't see it when I looked through the China threads), but here's DBP's highlight reel for the 8/17 game that wasn't televised. Dre's dunk is sick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknUclqpYqs&feature=youtube_gdata

Also, here's the highlight reel from the 8/18 game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17OJ_iblugQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Faison1
08-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Also, here's the highlight reel from the 8/18 game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17OJ_iblugQ&feature=youtube_gdata

I know you can't tell much from highlight reels, but I gotta say, those were pretty sweet. It looks like the guys are playing with a lot of moxie.

I think I read where Coach Capel was encouraging either Dre, or the Plumlee's to dunk everything they could get their hands on.

NSDukeFan
08-19-2011, 09:35 AM

I enjoyed when Andre asked Ryan what he thought of Andre Dawkins:

...he fouls too much...We're expecting big things from him...

gwlaw99
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Since the game will be on ESPN3, at 8am eastern time, it should also be available later on in the replay selection on espn3. So if you can't watch it live and don't get it recorded on dvr, it still will be there to see online later in the day or the next day. I believe they keep the replays around for a few days.

For some reason game 1 is not on replay.

CDu
08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
For some reason game 1 is not on replay.

It never was going to be. Games 2, 3, and 4 were/will be on both ESPNU and ESPN3. There was not going to be any coverage of the first game.

Duvall
08-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Crap. I want hammer and sickle logos next time. It needs to be like in Rocky IV, which not coincidentally had a "Duke" presence.

True road game (http://i51.twitgoo.com/561ax.jpg).

licc85
08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought this was an interesting article about the team's adventures in Beijing:

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205245651

Seems like the Chinese folk as well as the media guys covering the trip have taken a fondness to the Plumlees, particularly Marshall, who seems like a very charismatic and fun-loving guy. He always seemed to me like a kid who could spin a positive from any situation with his big smile and big personality, which is a pleasant contrast from his more reserved brothers. Should be a good influence on the team if and when things get rough during his career with us.

airowe
08-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Drop in tomorrow morning if you want to chat during the game: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/08/21/duke-vs-china-in-beijing-live-chat/

KenTankerous
08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Wow! Who else is watching and loving this so far?

dukefanSD
08-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Seth Curry!!! We are looking sooooo much better this game!

DukieInBrasil
08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
or is ESPN3's feed worse today than the other games? I get about 5 seconds of feed and then it stops for about 2 minutes. It's not really like watching a game.

KenTankerous
08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm not having any feed issues

lotusland
08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Pretty smooth sailing so far. Seth and Dre knocking down the 3s and the Plums both playing wityh intensity. Murphey is really having a nice game so far too. AR is awesome at breaking down the defense but just needs to calm down a bit. He's made some nice plays though.

FourWins
08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Might anyone give a quick recap of the action so far? Just tuned in to see they put up 30 during the 1st!?

lotusland
08-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Wow Mason really has great vision and passing ability. Nice drop off to Dre for the monster slam followed by another 3 from Dre!

FourWins
08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Wow- Dawkins looking great, playing with a lot of confidence, it seems to me!

gumbomoop
08-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Mostly for those who have no access, my impressions of 1st half. Other posters will chime in....

Overall, the game is frenetic, lots of fouling, China getting more of calls, but not horrible discrepancy.

Miles - aggressive, but more disciplined this year; excellent overplay positioning on D; he'll get steals this season. But last second dumb play by Miles, as he went for one-hand thunder-dunk on put-back, instead of simple 2-handed easy 2. Real dumb.

Alex - excellent court sense, good passer; obviously not yet ready for big minutes, but he will help. Smart.

Austin - Gottlieb had a whole lot of things to say about AR, pretty accurate re his talent, but also on his taking too many plays off on D, getting frustrated, not staying within the game.

Mason - nice passing; still gets discombobulated in traffic; lazy hands on some rebounds.

Seth and Andre - unlikely to find better pair of 3-bombers on any team in college ball this season. I didn't like Andre's preening after one nice dunk, as he suddenly realized he better get his butt back on D. Seth pretty solid all-around, handle improved, ready to shoot anytime, will score 25 in some games.

Michael Gb - played little; I'm disappointed not to have seen him more.

Tyler - inconsistent, tended to give ball up way too high; hope he learns to drive and dish more

Gottlieb - Excellent, excellent, specific, detailed commentary on virtually every play. Yes, his inner jerk emerges occasionally, but he knows the game, and tells real fans real stuff.

lotusland
08-22-2011, 09:15 AM
China played better in the 2nd quarter and we played our subs quite a bit. Murphey had some good plays while sG didn't really shine in his limited minutes. Josh seems solid but is really undersized in the post against this team. Strong game for both Mason and Miles IMO. Ryan is not as hot and hasn't been on the floor as much as the last game. Austin is having some growing pains and as Gotlieb pointed out it is fortunate that he's getting an opportunity to work out the kinks now instead at the start of the season. His ability is obvious so it's just a matter of getting comfortable and confidence.

I really like Gotlieb as an announcer. BTW he redeemed his "alarmingly unathletic" comment by stating that China had been overwhelmed by Duke's athleticism early on.

gwlaw99
08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Anyone have a final score? Box score?

Bluedog
08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Anyone have a final score? Box score?

Duke won 93-78. Game just ended.

lotusland
08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Not much to complain about today. Seth and Ryan look to be our most reliable scorers with AR, Dre, and possibly Mason being capable of scoring double figures on a given night. I think it's very likely that AR will become a third reliable scorer. I think really all of my concerns going into the season have been addressed. Seth, AR and Tyler seem to be handling the point responsibilities adequately and all three of our bigs are good passers which helps. Speaking or our bigs they all look solid and regardless of who starts I think they will all 3 play big minutes and contribute. Ryan really showed how much it helps for bigs to make free throws. Tyler was great on D using his long arms and quick hands for numerous steals and deflections but not much on offense. Dre looks ready to contribute and showed adequate improvement on D and getting to the hoop. I don't mind the preening as much as the complaining / pouting on the bench and after the obvious foul call but it's good to see him looking comfortable and confident. Murphey looks like he's ready to contribute some minutes already. I think MP3 and QC are the only players for whom a red-shirt season should even be considered.

I'm already looking forward to the last televised game of the trip!

gwlaw99
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Duke won 93-78. Game just ended.

Thanks! Can't wait to watch recording tonight.

House G
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Does anyone else think Mike D'Antoni has had any influence on Coach K?

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/fast-break-offense-suns.html

FourWins
08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Quick thoughts, mostly echoing what's been already noted-

Plumlees- Showed flashes of excellent movement off-the-ball, still limited to dunks, put-backs, and (in Mason's case) that little hook-shot.

Dawkins- Not as hot as before but still had some great moves; play of the game was a beautifully neat Rivers(iirc)-Mason-Dre bounce-passes to a big dunk.

Thornton- Superb D at times, had 4-5 steals in quick succession (again iirc). To me, a clear backup PG at this point. I must say I get a little annoyed when people put him down for his lack of offensive production: a steal leading to a dish to a score is *the same thing* as offense in my book. Really hoping that K gives him some big minutes when his size isn't too big of a drawback. Also an excellent freethrow shooter he continues to be and knows how to draw the foul. Very quick!

AR- As Gottlieb noted, he played like he had a mountain of expectations and didn't let the game come to him. China knew his heavy favoring of the right side and this frustrated him quite easily. I don't see him getting starter minutes at this point, and that may be the best thing for him as he develops.

Seth- Love the goatee, he lit it up early and has developed a better handle but is clearly a SG/PG.

Ryan- Continues to impress from many angles. The Zou-beard smacks of destiny!

Gottlieb- Refreshingly incisive analysis delivered with good pacing and a sense of balance between teams. Didn't miss a beat with Chinese names that I could detect. Can we get more of this guy? I have the feeling we had the privilege of his calling the game mainly for the reason that no one was watching this game (relatively).

Michael gb- didn't see much.

Alex- Great court vision and passing for a player his type, quick too, but needs to hit the weights.

Hairston- great to see more of him! Perhaps had he not gone and tatted himself so visibly, he'd get more chances. Still miles to go though.

--

All in all, this was a very exciting game and great chance to see the team coalescing so early in the season. Looking very much forward to Thursday!!

edit: and FWIW, Gottlieb also had great off-game commentary, right down to noting the advantage of Mandarin characters in the Twitter format!

COYS
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I had a chance to watch the game today and thought I'd add a few more observations.

With Singler gone and a combo of Andre, MikeG, and Alex filling his spot, the defense has a completely different look, despite the rest of the defense remaining similar. I think we'll see a lot more high risk-high reward play out of the small forward spot as Andre, Alex, and Mike all attempt to deny the ball and jump the passing lanes whereas Singler played a more conservative (but obviously excellent) style. Combined with the ball-hawking of Tyler and Seth, the quickness of Austin, and the length of the Plumlees, we're going to see a lot of steals and transition opportunities than we did last season after Kyrie went down. Opposing teams that have weak guard play will have fits just trying to initiate the offense. That being said, I think it is clear that the team has some growing to do in terms of overall half-court defense. I think the biggest question is who will be the quarterback of the defense? Two years ago, Lance Thomas relished the role as a defensive stopper. Last year, Nolan set the tone for the team. Will Miles (who is the best interior defender by far, in my opinion) step up as a senior? Will Seth's quick hands get the team going? Or will Tyler (who was constantly knocking the ball lose from the Chinese guards, today) come in off the bench to provide that intensity? I will also be anxious to see how the team responds when we face an opponent that has strong enough guard play to set up their half court offense. Mason looks great when he's denying the ball and jumping the passing lanes. He doesn't look as good when he's guarding a player who's got decent post position on him. The same is true for Andre, who has made obvious improvements in his overall defensive play, but still struggles a bit with on-the-ball defense at or inside the three point line. The ability for the defense to generate turnovers and disrupt the oppositions half court offense will go a long way toward determining how good the team will be in overall defense.

As for the offense, I am not worried about the point guard slot. Seth does a great job protecting the ball. He is still learning how to balance running the offense and looking for his own shot. However, he is more than capable of quarterbacking the offense and had some nice assists as well as some great scoring outbursts. Tyler is also capable of coming off the bench and running the team. Austin's talent is obvious, but it is also obvious that he will go through an adjustment period before he's comfortable in the offense. He is clearly a capable playmaker (his bounce pass to Mason for a slam in the first half was one of the best plays of the day), but will have to figure out when to hunt his own shot and when to pass. He attempted a lob to Ryan on a breakaway when he probably should have pulled up and just taken a jumper. Then he had back to back drives down the lane where he missed Kelly, once when he could have dumped it off to Kelly at the block for a slam and then once when he could have kicked it out to the corner for a three (actually, that may have been Andre on the second one, I can't remember). Both times he took awkward runners when he should have passed or at least done a full jump stop/jump shot. As others have mentioned before, Austin doesn't have quite the same ability that Kyrie had to play at different speeds. In many instances, Austin's athleticism and quickness is enough for him to go full speed and make a play. However, as he learns to pick his spots and become more patient, he will be a more efficient player. I think his efficiency will be directly linked to his turnovers, not his shooting percentage. In this way, he actually reminds me of Jason Williams, who was a bit turnover prone in his early days (and actually, throughout his career), but was almost unstoppable when he learned to play under control.

Mark my words, we will have a double digit scorer from 4-5 spots this year. I just don't think a back to the basket game will be the way we get those points. Ryan is a matchup nightmare for opposing bigs. He has improved his ball handling and can take a few dribbles for a layup or a pullup jumper. He is deadly from 15 feet and potentially deadly from three. His instincts on where to be on offense are excellent. I think he will be a double digit scorer. Miles is a more refined version of the player we've seen in the past. He's going to score on dunks off of drives and putbacks, but I think he'll do that more frequently as his focus is improved. We'll also see him get a few buckets off of post ups, His hook shot is becoming a nice weapon. However, I still don't think this will be featured in the offense. Mason is still a bit of an enigma to me. I'm one of his biggest fans, too, who thinks he will be one of the most elite rebounders in the country this year. The talent and potential is there. I just hope he can put it all together to be the complete playmaker that we all know he can be. I would also like to see him fight for position on defense more than just trying to steal the ball. We ran some nice back door screens on the blocks to get Mason and Miles free for a few easy hoops today. I think we'll see that a lot this year. I also think we'll also see a few plays where Mason and Miles set up a double screen for a shooter who is running bassline to bassline. One of the two can slip the screen and cut to the opposite block where they can get open for an easy dunk or lay-in.

This team is young at some key spots and some of the veterans are still unproven under the spotlight. That being said, this team has a TON of talent and potential and there is no reason not to expect Duke to have the Final Four in its sights as an attainable goal come March.

dukeballboy88
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I think AR and Dre were letting the poor officiating dictate the way they played. Granted the officiating was horrible, you still have to suck it up and play through it and not let it get you out of your game and the team concept. There were a couple of times China went on decent runs and if the China team could shoot it wouldve ben alot closer game. Their shooters were left wide open and I thinkk it was due to frustration by not getting the calls on the offensive end.

Im impressed with Mason and Miles and the way they played hard and didnt seem to get frustrated with the bad calls. Mase did a nice back down with a shimmy and finished with a left jump hook. That impressed me alot because if we can get that from him on a consistant basis, Duke will be hard to beat.

I will go on to say 2 things, this Duke team will have more balance than last years and The China team has the best 7fter we will see this year.

sporthenry
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think too many people get upset with Thornton's lack of offensive production, it was more the fact he was the PG and looked afraid to handle the ball. He gave Mason a medicine ball in the first and started the offense way too far out when he first got in. As the game progressed, he got more comfortable handling the ball and he has to drive and initiate the offense at times. I think everyone loves his defense and he is the next in that line of Dukie PGs who will irritate the hell out of other teams, he just needs to become a bit more assertive.

As far as AR, the expectations should definitely be lowered but the good part is that Curry and Dawkins are studs. AR will still be important but this trip might quicken the time it takes for him to adjust so he doesn't take half a year like HB to get acclimated. I think Rivers' offense will come with time but the lack of hustle and focus at times is inexcusable but somewhat expected with the way he played in HS and AAU. But I think these games will be extremely beneficial to him b/c nobody likes to get pulled and we have other options if he doesn't buy in.

Bob Green
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Here is today's box score:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/780915.pdf?ATCLID=205245948&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Ryan Kelly is the leading scorer with 20 points, while Miles Plumlee records an impressive double-double of 14 points and 13 rebounds. Hopefully, Miles can replicate those type numbers in games played after January. The team shot 38% on 3-pointers.

ACCBBallFan
08-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I think the 24 second clock makes it hard to evaluate Duke on either end. Rushing shots and whether they can defend for a full 35 rather than for only 24 seconds.

The team bonding and getting the frosh used to watching film of themselves and opponents is an early bonus.

I laughed too when Dre had to adjust instantly from playing in NCCU Pro AM after a slam to playing for coach K, save the gloat and get your butt back on defense.

Back to 24 vs. 35 second clock, Duke could have really spread the floor with Seth, Dre, Austin, Ryan and a Plum in 35 seconds with that extra few seconds of passing. That will open up the lanes for Austin to make a more controlled drive and for Plumlee/Kelly alley oops.

Kedsy
08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
AR- ... I don't see him getting starter minutes at this point...

You don't see him getting starter minutes? Seriously? Even with all the freshman mistakes, he still averaged almost 14ppg on the China leg of the trip.

Absent injury or illness or some sort of disciplinary thing, Austin will start and play starter's minutes in pretty much every game we play.

mgtr
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
At the end of last year I was sort of impressed with Thornton's defense, but after today I am for sure a TT fan! I think the backup PG position is handled.