PDA

View Full Version : Woody Durham Retires

Verga3
04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I will miss his distinctive voice and call of Tarheel games through all the years. A legendary broadcasting figure....as our own Bob Harris. He will surely be missed and Tobacco Road radio will not be the same.

In the "can't make this stuff up" category, some of you already know this about Woody and Bob's common history. As a youngster, Woody moved from Mebane to Bob's hometown of Albermarle. They played Little League, high school football and sang chorus together (two golden voices).

All the best, Woody!

Newton_14
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I will miss his distinctive voice and call of Tarheel games through all the years. A legendary broadcasting figure....as our own Bob Harris. He will surely be missed and Tobacco Road radio will not be the same.

In the "can't make this stuff up" category, some of you already know this about Woody and Bob's common history. As a youngster, Woody moved from Mebane to Bob's hometown of Albermarle. They played Little League, high school football and sang chorus together (two golden voices).

All the best, Woody!

I was not aware of the Bob and Woody connection, so thanks for sharing that. Very interesting. Woody is the only voice of the Tarheels I have ever known. He started in 1971. 40 years. The guy is a legend, but too bad he chose the wrong color of blue which is how we know who is smarter between he and Bob!:D I wish him well in his retirement.

Let the search begin. I would bet that Mick Mixon gets the first call, with Jones Angel getting the 2nd call if Mick turns it down. Mixon is currently the Radio Guy for the Panthers so he will have a tough choice.

Someone on the radio mentioned Wes Durham (Ga Tech Radio Guy whom I like a lot) but I cannot see Wes replacing his pops. My money is on Mixon.

Bob Green
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
A legendary broadcasting figure....as our own Bob Harris. He will surely be missed and Tobacco Road radio will not be the same.

All the best, Woody!

In my youth, back in the days before ESPN and dozens of TV games per week, I listened to a lot of ACC basketball on the radio so I too wish all the best to Woody, or in Sailor vernacular, here's wishing Woody Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Atldukie79
04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I heard Woody's excited voice one too many times when I was traveling by car and not able to pick up a Duke station on the radio. I do respect him though and he will be missed. Congrats on a remarkable career.

Regarding his son Wes as a possible replacement....I have no doubt that he bleeds Carolina Blue, but consider this... Not only is he established and well connected as the voice of the Yellow Jackets, but he has at least 2 other gigs in Atlanta... he is the radio broadcaster for the Atlanta Falcons and he has a midday radio show with Tony Barnhardt (general sports, not just Tech) that is quite good. All this in the lucrative ATL market.

I cannot see him "coming home". (Though if the next voice of the Heels fails (Doh), maybe he will return home a la Ole Roy and save the day:)

Devilsfan
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
I know it sounds cruel but it's about time he retired. Some say he wanted Mick out so as to let his son come back without any interference.

jdk
04-20-2011, 08:10 AM

All the best, Woody!

Nitpicking, but Bob didn't play football; he was a team manager.

Matches
04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I hated hated HATED listening to Woody. Which probably means he was doing his job well.

Can't say I'll miss him, but no question this is the end of an era.

roywhite
04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Woody was a big part of the ACC basketball scene. Have to admire his passion and his preparation.

I must say, though, I most enjoyed listening to Woody when his Tarheels were losing to Duke.

DevilWearsPrada
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Woody was a big part of the ACC basketball scene. Have to admire his passion and his preparation.

I must say, though, I most enjoyed listening to Woody when his Tarheels were losing to Duke.

I agree! Most enjoyable listening to Woody Durham when Duke was WINNING over Unc.

I remember Woody Durham doing the Sports segment of the WFMY (Greensboro) news. And then went on, after a couple of other gigs to the Tarheel Network.

On WTVD, showed a segment of Woody retiring. Very touching, when he said, People that were "Seeing Impaired" thanked him, for allowing them "To see the game." He was very good at what he did, just like our own Bob Harris.

Also, Wes Durham is NOT going to take the job. And neither is the other announcer, that calls for the Panthers. So the Search for the Voice of the Tarheels, will continue.

Woody said he was going to retire from Announcing, but not going to Unc Games. He would go and tailgate and drink bloody marys, and yell at the officials, like everyone else.

Job well done, Mr Durham! And enjoy your retirement!

Makes me sad, because I am thinking how will I feel, when Bob Harris retires. Bob Harris, is the only Voice of the Blue Devils, that I know!

Duvall
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Let the search begin. I would bet that Mick Mixon gets the first call, with Jones Angel getting the 2nd call if Mick turns it down. Mixon is currently the Radio Guy for the Panthers so he will have a tough choice.

Someone on the radio mentioned Wes Durham (Ga Tech Radio Guy whom I like a lot) but I cannot see Wes replacing his pops. My money is on Mixon.

Mixon has said no (http://twitter.com/TarHeelWire/status/60716178343079937). I predict that they give the job to Jones Angell for three turbulent years before he gets pushed aside to make room for Mick to come home.

Deathby3
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
This just in... Woody Durham to UCLA!!

Devilsfan
04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Best post of the year! Now he can reunite with the LDII and Wear families. I got a funny text when the news first broke. It said and I'll paraphase, "I know the final score was 82-50 but that does not give justice to the way the Heels fought and clawed throughout the entire game! Speaking of fighting, go out and support your #8 nationally ranked Tarheel Women's Fencing team who is just dominating their competition!". Senility in Woody's case was first reached in '91 but Woody didn't let that stop him from amusing us all for another two decades. Go Heels!

hudlow
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Folks...the Tar Heels are running right to left on your radio dial...

Good Luck Woody!

anon
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Best of luck to him personally, but I have to say I never liked his style on the radio. He always seemed overwhelmed by the action on the court, and I couldn't follow his accounts very well. I'm sure he's a great guy, though, and he's part of the Carolina family for sure.

magjayran
04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I often work during UNC games and so I've listened to a lot of Woody over the years. I have a lot of respect for him and I think he calls a heckuva game. I never thought about how good he was until this year when Woody stayed in town to cover the UNC vs NCSU football game while his replacements did the basketball game in Puerto Rico. They were pretty bad. Actually very bad.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be Christmas."

So long Woody.

dukelifer
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Woody is a classic and good at what he does. I enjoyed listening to him when UNC was losing- he was always so down. He is so strongly identified with the Heels- like Bob Harris is for Devils- although Bob is a better game caller.

devilirium
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
^ I think it depends upon the sport with Bob. With football, I'm stil left to wonder about down and distance, who has the ball, reading the score as something like Duke 14 Miami 48, whether the kick was long enough or "blocked". Unless the spotters are really bad, then Bob's work with football leaves a lot to be desired.

With hoops, there's a smaller cast of characters to identify, so Bob appears to be more focused. It's funny, but I find that both guys have the same strengths and weaknesses in football. Woody gets drunk with the excitement, and Bob's "bottoms" can stand to be a little less shrill. But both are also good at seguing to the other guys and are prone to be well prepared than not.

oldnavy
04-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Woody was very good at what he did. He was probably one of the biggest homers in sports, but he got paid to be. I thought his voice was very smooth and easy to listen to. Woody could make a 3 yard run sound like a 90 yard score better than anybody!

Like Bob said, Fair wind and following seas!!

captmojo
04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
The only problem I ever had while listening to Woody, (on the Wayback Machine, now) were his painful attempts to sound objective while the on-air sports director at WFMY. Most obvious were bland sounding final score readings of all others than the holes most recent final score, that should it instance to be a win, got a call that had voice inflections that might rival those used by the all-time great top 40 DJs of the era.

If you ever listened to him do the play-by-play calling of non-unc games, during the ACC tournament, you got the chance to hear the full range of his abilities. However, these would quickly fade in the case of a big blow-out contest. Then, the chit-chat tarhole references and conversation would come out.

As is the same for anyone, I wish him health and happiness throughout his retirement.

Devilsfan
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Woody was the anti-Bilas. Nonobjective, opposite in knowledge of the game they're doing, opposite in outbursts of emotion, etc. We are proud Jay represents Duke.

sandinmyshoes
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
The only problem I ever had while listening to Woody, (on the Wayback Machine, now) were his painful attempts to sound objective while the on-air sports director at WFMY. Most obvious were bland sounding final score readings of all others than the holes most recent final score, that should it instance to be a win, got a call that had voice inflections that might rival those used by the all-time great top 40 DJs of the era.

If you ever listened to him do the play-by-play calling of non-unc games, during the ACC tournament, you got the chance to hear the full range of his abilities. However, these would quickly fade in the case of a big blow-out contest. Then, the chit-chat tarhole references and conversation would come out.

As is the same for anyone, I wish him health and happiness throughout his retirement.

As a member of the Wayback Machine club, I remember Durham when he was in his prime. From time to time in those days, I'd find myself unable to be around a TV and would have to listen to the games on the radio. This happened often with the opening ACC games which were on workdays.

Not always able to get a Duke station, I'd have to choose between NCSU or UNC stations, and have to admit I preferred listening to Durham so long as UNC wasn't involved in the game.

While, like our own Bob Harris, he wore his loyalty on his sleeve, he was always respectful of other teams and coaches.

With TV becoming so much more available, and even watching games on TV, I had probably not heard him for nearly five years and was surprised when I heard him about two years ago and how much he had slipped.

I guess time catches up with all of us. Not to mention how much less relevant radio is these days.

Indoor66
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
How about you old timers - who remembers Bill Currie (The Mouth of The South) (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08044/856928-122.stm) doing UNC Basketball? He was great.

roywhite
04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
How about you old timers - who remembers Bill Currie (The Mouth of The South) (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08044/856928-122.stm) doing UNC Basketball? He was great.

Currie had one of the all-time funny quotes when broadcasting the 12-10 game (NCSU over Duke in the 1968 ACC Tournament):

"this is about as exciting as artificial insemination"

sagegrouse
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM

What I remember is the hokie way one watched college basketball on TV back then. The UNC student station would broadcast the games (from Woollen Gym) but without sound. I guess that misses the point of having a student TV station, but clearly UNC did want to detract from its radio broadcasts. So, one would watch a TV picture without sound and play the Bill Currie broadcast alongside it (or the Add Penfield broadcast IIRC, if Duke were playing).

And, of course, the in-game score at Woollen was kept by those dumb flipboards that Dean had positioned in each corner -- a case of "pre-electronic" graphics.

The only other hoops telecasts were the Saturday afternoon games sponsored by Pilot Life Insurance (playing the U. of Alabama fight song).

sagegrouse

Indoor66
04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
What I remember is the hokie way one watched college basketball on TV back then. The UNC student station would broadcast the games (from Woollen Gym) but without sound. I guess that misses the point of having a student TV station, but clearly UNC did want to detract from its radio broadcasts. So, one would watch a TV picture without sound and play the Bill Currie broadcast alongside it (or the Add Penfield broadcast IIRC, if Duke were playing).

And, of course, the in-game score at Woollen was kept by those dumb flipboards that Dean had positioned in each corner -- a case of "pre-electronic" graphics.

The only other hoops telecasts were the Saturday afternoon games sponsored by Pilot Life Insurance (playing the U. of Alabama fight song).

sagegrouse

Who could ever forget sailing with the Pilot for the ONLY one ACC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon. College basket ball was played, IIRC, on Wednesday and Saturday. High School games were on Tuesday and Friday.

Newton_14
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Who could ever forget sailing with the Pilot for the ONLY one ACC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon. College basket ball was played, IIRC, on Wednesday and Saturday. High School games were on Tuesday and Friday.

I remember it well. Jefferson Pilot and the Holly Farms MVP of the game. My dad was a huge UNC fan, and after many UNC wins with Phil Ford winning MVP of the game, I would always say: "Yeah dad, Ford won another Holly Farms "Chicken" of the game award. You know they only won because of that "chicken" 4 Corners. They were too scared to play straight up"

He would just laugh and call me a sore loser...:D

DU82
04-22-2011, 07:15 AM
If I remember correctly back to my freshman year (1978-79), Woody Durham "hosted" the WPTF-TV news broadcast (channel 28, the NBC affiliate). Rather than compete with WRAL and WTVD, they showed Star Trek reruns at 6 (it might have been 5) and then had national news at 7, and then a half hour report at 7:30. Just as it is today for 28 (the MyNetworkTV affiliate now), it wasn't very competitive.

Woody, instead of being at a desk, was in an easy chair, reading the headlines. I wondered who that guy was, since I didn't realize that he was such a homer down the block. Very laid back and very low budget (especially for somebody used to NYC broadcasts.) Anybody else remember this?