PDA

View Full Version : KU to rebuild

Channing
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
With Selby going pro, KU only returns Tyshon Taylor (who is a thread to be suspended at any moment) and Thomas Robinson. They have three recruits coming in - 2 4 stars and a 3 star.

Is there something I am missing or is KU looking at a very difficult year?

TexHawk
04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
With Selby going pro, KU only returns Tyshon Taylor (who is a thread to be suspended at any moment) and Thomas Robinson. They have three recruits coming in - 2 4 stars and a 3 star.

Is there something I am missing or is KU looking at a very difficult year?
Define "difficult". The Big12 (er, 10) is going to be terrible. The Morris Bros, Alec Burks, L.Dunn, and Jacob Pullen are all gonzo. Hamilton/Thompson are most likely gone from UT as well. The most experienced team (in terms of age) will be Mizzou, and they barely made the NCAAs, got blown out in the 1st round, then lost their coach.

You won't be able to find a single KU fan who expected Josh Selby to stick around, and the Morris brothers were always going to leave. A *somewhat* down year has been expected for a while now. But a down regular season for KU can still be pretty good for most programs. We won't go 35-3 again, but should make the tourney fairly easily. Anything better than a 4 seed would be cream cheese, imo.

As far as the team goes, KU will have more than just Taylor and Robinson. Elijah Johnson played extremely well while Taylor was suspended (many were upset that he didn't see more playing time once Taylor came back). Travis Releford should start as well, he's a bit unproven, but he was having a solid year before an ankle injury. Sure, the depth up front is a bit frightening, but that's the only large concern. Well, that plus outside shooting.

The team is not totally set either. Coaches are working hard on Trevor Lacey and yes, Deandre Daniels too. Picked up a commit from Braeden Anderson on Sunday. All of a sudden, we have plenty of PT to offer.

burns15
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Define "difficult". The Big12 (er, 10) is going to be terrible. The Morris Bros, Alec Burks, L.Dunn, and Jacob Pullen are all gonzo. Hamilton/Thompson are most likely gone from UT as well. The most experienced team (in terms of age) will be Mizzou, and they barely made the NCAAs, got blown out in the 1st round, then lost their coach.

You won't be able to find a single KU fan who expected Josh Selby to stick around, and the Morris brothers were always going to leave. A *somewhat* down year has been expected for a while now. But a down regular season for KU can still be pretty good for most programs. We won't go 35-3 again, but should make the tourney fairly easily. Anything better than a 4 seed would be cream cheese, imo.

As far as the team goes, KU will have more than just Taylor and Robinson. Elijah Johnson played extremely well while Taylor was suspended (many were upset that he didn't see more playing time once Taylor came back). Travis Releford should start as well, he's a bit unproven, but he was having a solid year before an ankle injury. Sure, the depth up front is a bit frightening, but that's the only large concern. Well, that plus outside shooting.

The team is not totally set either. Coaches are working hard on Trevor Lacey and yes, Deandre Daniels too. Picked up a commit from Braeden Anderson on Sunday. All of a sudden, we have plenty of PT to offer.

I though Hamilton and Thompson said they were coming back already...

JasonEvans
04-15-2011, 03:56 PM
All of a sudden, we have plenty of PT to offer.

True, but it would appear to be playing time on a team that will not be garnering much national attention and a team that won't have much of a chance to make a deep run in March.

That said, KU is one of the elite programs in the nation and if they are down, it won't last long. Being recruited by them is a big deal and I am sure Self will have no trouble refilling his roster with stud players.

-Jason "I forget, which team plays Kansas in the kick-off of that that kick-off thingy this year? Do we?" Evans

1 24 90
04-15-2011, 03:59 PM
True, but it would appear to be playing time on a team that will not be garnering much national attention and a team that won't have much of a chance to make a deep run in March.

That said, KU is one of the elite programs in the nation and if they are down, it won't last long. Being recruited by them is a big deal and I am sure Self will have no trouble refilling his roster with stud players.

-Jason "I forget, which team plays Kansas in the kick-off of that that kick-off thingy this year? Do we?" Evans

Duke plays Michigan State and Kansas plays Kentucky

The first Champions Classic is set for Madison Square Garden in New York, with Duke facing Michigan State and Kentucky meeting Kansas on Nov. 15, 2011.

TexHawk
04-15-2011, 05:06 PM

In 2008-9, KU lost Rush-Arthur-Robinson-Chalmers-Kaun-Jackson after the national title. The only name players returning were 6th man Sherron Collins and 7th man Cole Aldrich (very much unproven at that point). That team won the Big12 rather easily, with skinny freshmen Tyshawn Taylor and the Morris twins in their first seasons. Earned a #3 seed. Did anyone think they would win it all? Not really. But they did take runner-up MSU to the final seconds in the Sweet 16.

All I know is that I'm glad Bill Self is the coach. He's won something like 85% of his games the last 6 years, with widely different sets of players.

* The schedule is a lot tougher next season. Kentucky + Ohio St + Maui (possibly playing you guys).
** Hamilton/Thompson are undecided.

A-Tex Devil
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM

I mentioned in another thread that Baylor is going to be VERY talented this year. LaceDarius Dunn single handedly torpedoed Perry Jones' freshman season (well, him and Scott Drew). He's gone. Perry Jones is a Lamar Odom type player that can be a distributor as much as he is a post player. If their coach wasn't such a bad X's and O's guy, and if they had a reasonably good point guard, they'd be top 5 easy next year with Jones and Acy coming back to join Quincy Miller. Should be interesting.

I think Hamilton is definitely gone, and I see people all over the map on Tristan Thompson. If Tristan Thompson comes back, Texas should be pretty good next year. Texas fans won't by ish until the 'Horns get to the Sweet 16 after the tailspins the last 2 years. But next year, Barnes has something that he has always required to run deep in a tourney -- a playmaking point guard in Myck Kabongo.

The most unique thing about Texas is that if Jamal Magloire and Steve Nash were to move to Austin, the Canadian National Team could run practices down here. Texas will have 4 guys from Canada (all but one via Findlay Prep, I believe) on the roster next year if Tristan sticks around.

sporthenry
04-15-2011, 06:21 PM
In 2008-9, KU lost Rush-Arthur-Robinson-Chalmers-Kaun-Jackson after the national title. The only name players returning were 6th man Sherron Collins and 7th man Cole Aldrich (very much unproven at that point). That team won the Big12 rather easily, with skinny freshmen Tyshawn Taylor and the Morris twins in their first seasons. Earned a #3 seed. Did anyone think they would win it all? Not really. But they did take runner-up MSU to the final seconds in the Sweet 16.

All I know is that I'm glad Bill Self is the coach. He's won something like 85% of his games the last 6 years, with widely different sets of players.

* The schedule is a lot tougher next season. Kentucky + Ohio St + Maui (possibly playing you guys).
** Hamilton/Thompson are undecided.

Well KU had the #2 class according to Rivals and #5 according to ESPN. This year, not so much and there are only a handful of players who have yet to commit. KU's class isn't overwhelming and if they don't get Lacey and Daniels, it will probably be a pretty rough year.

BD80
04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
... As far as the team goes, KU will have more than just Taylor and Robinson. Elijah Johnson played extremely well while Taylor was suspended (many were upset that he didn't see more playing time once Taylor came back). Travis Releford should start as well, he's a bit unproven, but he was having a solid year before an ankle injury. Sure, the depth up front is a bit frightening, but that's the only large concern. Well, that plus outside shooting. ...

I have a great deal of faith in Self to have a competitive team, even without a strong frontcourt (can anyone imagine saying the same about ol' roy?). Even relying on frosh, he will rotate players through to hide weakness, emphasize strengths and develop depth.

I have little faith in Taylor, I have a feeling that he will soon have a "come to Jesus" meeting with Self, and his status will depend on his off-season. Self can't afford a cancer on the team when he is reloading.

1 24 90
04-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Usa Today has Kansas as a #1 seed in next year's preliminary bracket

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/04/2012-ncaa-tournament-projection-kentucky-kansas-ohio-state-unc/1

NSDukeFan
04-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Well KU had the #2 class according to Rivals and #5 according to ESPN. This year, not so much and there are only a handful of players who have yet to commit. KU's class isn't overwhelming and if they don't get Lacey and Daniels, it will probably be a pretty rough year.

It may very well be a pretty rough year at KU next year, but that still likely means a top 25 team. I am going to make the easiest prediction I know. Thomas Robinson is going to be a monster next year.

darjum
04-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Another loss for KU, Woolridge gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6362953

Selby's decision was a poor one in my opinion, but only he knows what's best for him and his family.

G man
04-16-2011, 08:33 PM
So I was reading about the Daniels recruitment on rivals and a good portion of the KU fans seem to think that KU will be just as good or better than Duke next year. I think they are all on drugs, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion right???

El_Diablo
04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
So I was reading about the Daniels recruitment on rivals and a good portion of the KU fans seem to think that KU will be just as good or better than Duke next year. I think they are all on drugs, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion right???

Well, we should find out in Maui!