PDA

View Full Version : Mens Basketball Banquet

DevilWearsPrada
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
The Mens Basketball Banquet is tonight. Hope to see alot of you there. Whether you are upstairs or downstairs, we will be celebrating the Mens BBall season.

I know I will take tissues, as I will cry during Nolan's and Kyle's senior speeches. Those young men have been Warriors and Leaders. And they deserve and are so worthy of all the good things to come their way. And in their careers, after Duke graduation.

Cant wait to see the young men dressed up and the videos and hear the Speeches from Casey, Nolan and Kyle! We all have so much to be proud of, in that our young men all great role models and graduate from college. When so many don't.

Hope several of you will be there! Go Duke!

rthomas
04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Previews:

Kyle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPjIzCxxVg&feature=youtu.be

Nolan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMyRr_xy5EQ&feature=youtu.be

anon
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I'll be there! Can't wait!

weezie
04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm here! Good sized crowd. Beautiful day in Cameron.

Lord Ash
04-15-2011, 06:57 PM
If those of you with modern media devices could give us updates during the evening about how things are going with our team, it would be appreciated... wish I could down at lovely Duke tonight!

Andy7207
04-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Found out two hours ago that my girlfriend managed to get her hands on some free student tickets. About to leave in two minutes, totally psyched.

dukeman28428
04-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Just got home from the men's banquet and it was great. It was special hearing our 3 seniors talk and it may be a long time before we see two players like Nolan and Kyle in the same senior class. I love it when a player stays all 4 years and gives his all to the school and team. We are so blessed at Duke and can't wait for next season. Thanks seniors and good luck as you move forward in life. You will do wonderful and will be in our hearts forever.:

Dr. Tina
04-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I was reading the tweets from Duke BluePlanet as the banquet was going on. It sounds like it was an incredible evening. I read some of Coach K's quotes about Nolan and Kyle, and I heard that they gave incredibly emotional speeches. Nolan even switched it up and brought his family on stage, I think. Also, I was really impressed by some of the awards given out, such as Mason's Student Athlete Award for his 3.92 GPA in the Fall Semester. I was happy to see Tyler get the Mann Award, too.

I asked DBP if they would put up video of the senior speeches, but DBP said it was to be determined. Wish I had been there!

Philsfan
04-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Basically, if any Duke haters had attended the banquet and still hated Duke afterward, they have no soul as far as I'm concerned. What a tremendous night! Coach K was poignant as ever--Especially loved when he called each of the seniors "son." Kyle, Nolan, Casey (with your tremendous story of doggedly pursuing and attaining your dream)...what more can really be said? And to top off the night, got a chance to chat briefly with Dell Curry and also get Kyrie's autograph afterward. Tremendous!

Devilsfan
04-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Ran out of kleenex and had to leave.

magjayran
04-16-2011, 02:00 AM
It was a wonderful and emotional evening. Felt bad for Kyle who could barely make it through his speech. I got a little misty during Nolan's video and a touch more misty during the final Nolan and Kyle montage.

It was amazing to hear Nolan talk about how he prides himself on being a hard worker but that Casey works even harder.

Fun event and well worth the little $15 for the upstairs ticket.

DevilWearsPrada
04-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Ran out of kleenex and had to leave.

At the round tables, downstairs, we were using the linen dinner napkins!

Even Coach K said when he took the stage, he generally isn't emotional. It was a very emotional and exciting evening. Cameron was gorgeous. Throughout the entire evening, Coach K talked about staying in school, and finishing your 4 years, and to ultimately that "DUKE GRADUATES" its players!

The 3 Seniors: Casey, Kyle and Nolan were all emotional with telling their stories about their dreams, goals and challenges. Mrs K did an excellent job with the videos. The team video was my favorite, with the montage of Nolan and Kyle!

Coach K said before he brought Nolan up for his Senior Speech, "that many people hate Duke players, but that no one hated Nolan Smith. And you can't hate Nolan Smith and the people around him." So true!

So glad that Cameron was nice and full last night, and upstairs. This was one of the best banquets ever (not the catered food). We will surely miss our Seniors from the class of 2011. And as Coach said, "On May 15, they will graduate from Duke University."

1 24 90
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsT0I4rUvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4DE56FYTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENZjkeWv2E

OZZIE4DUKE
04-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Last night's program was truly outstanding. Great videos for the players and the team, great award winners, great nice speeches by the coaches. The player speeches will stand out from past speeches for only one reason. The players always speak from the heart, they always are emotional, they always bring tears, both to themselves to their teammates and to the fans. But these speeches were the shortest player speeches on record. The banquet actually ended early, at 9:50 instead of the 10:00 scheduled time, and I'd have preferred that it go on a bit longer. Casey - you didn't have to listen to Crazietowelguy when he told you your speech had to be less than your cumulative on court playing time. Nolan, I loved your "Tonight Show" interview of your family, truly innovative! And your mom's answers were fabulous! Kyle, what can I say other than it was hard to hear what you were saying, I wish you had been able to compose yourself a bit more. But I know it was all from the heart and we love you.

Thanks guys for a wonderful 4 years! Good fortune to you in everything that comes next.

Onlyduke
04-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Can't get into the videos of the speeches from the banquet. It says the videos are private. Can anyone help?

1 24 90
04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Can't get into the videos of the speeches from the banquet. It says the videos are private. Can anyone help?

Apologies, they were there before (wish I hadn't put off watching them at the time). Now they don't even show up when you do a search. Sorry.

Devilsfan
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
The benefit of sitting downstairs is to be closer to the stage. Terrific event. Took a table of six out for dinner after the ceremony. When will the food service equal the quality of everything else Duke?

Poincaré
04-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Previews:

Kyle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPjIzCxxVg&feature=youtu.be

Nolan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMyRr_xy5EQ&feature=youtu.be

What's wrong with you? Bringing a tear to my eyes...[sniff]

PumpkinFunk
04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I got to go this year for the first time, and it was simply amazing. Getting to see 2 friends win awards (the band and cheerleader awards) was great but the best part was the senior speeches. I was barely holding back from crying. These 3 seniors are my classmates, 2 are my hallmates from freshman year... we've got through our time at Duke together, and seeing the emotion from them was just priceless. And incredibly sad, too, as a senior.

weezie
04-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I've been to quite a few of these dinners but last night was exceptionally bittersweet.

Can't add much to all the above but the montage of Kyle's years diving out of bounds was superb. Here's to our Kyle, who was always in the right place at the right time.
And I was deeply touched when Nolan spoke of Kyle's reaching out after the ACC tourney when Nolan was missing his father even as he celebrated the victory. So truly proud to have been able to cheer for these two.

As Coach K said, "How lucky are we?!" Meaning all of us who get to cheer for our fine teams in a place as special and great as Cameron. One of those, "Put me in Coach!" moments.

Oh, and K got a good ribbing in on Jay Bilas (who was there roaring with laughter) by teasing Jay about his VCU comments. Jay was outside after the dinner posing graciously with numerous fans. Don't ever think he isn't a Duke guy and a consummate gentleman.

DukeUva Parent
04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Apologies, they were there before (wish I hadn't put off watching them at the time). Now they don't even show up when you do a search. Sorry.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to watch the speeches before they were made private. All the speeches were great, but Kyle's speech really got to me. Was at the banquet last year, but wasn't able to make it this year because of another obligation. From watching the speeches, it was a very special night. Sorry I missed it.
Really, really going to miss this senior class - what special young men!

ThePublisher
04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
What a way to end the year. This was my first time going to the banquet, and I must say I was very impressed. Duke embodies what it means to be first class.

An interesting note is that Irving wasn't mentioned but once, when K mentioned his injury while talking about how great Nolan was this year. I know this night was mostly about the departing seniors and other award winners, but it was still surprising to see such a talent basically go unmentioned. I guess that's what you get when you're one and done.

After DeAndre Daniels experiencing what Duke is all about, family, I can't see why he wouldn't commit. Unless he just thinks he is too 'cool' for his coach to be like a father to him.

Devilsfan
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Those are my exact thoughts. Leave early, without a degree and you're temporarily forgoten, not to mentioned your Jersey won't hang in the rafters. They will bring you back into the family after a while but I don't remember seeing Brand, Maggette, Dunleavy, Dang etc. back in Cameron like many of the players that stayed and graduated. G maybe the exception.

uh_no
04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
After DeAndre Daniels experiencing what Duke is all about, family, I can't see why he wouldn't commit. Unless he just thinks he is too 'cool' for his coach to be like a father to him.

Or perhaps he feels another program fits him better as a person. Do not be so arrogant to think that the Duke way is the only way for every athlete out there.

I have no doubt that he could thrive here, but people value different things.

Lord Ash
04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Those are my exact thoughts. Leave early, without a degree and you're temporarily forgoten, not to mentioned your Jersey won't hang in the rafters. They will bring you back into the family after a while but I don't remember seeing Brand, Maggette, Dunleavy, Dang etc. back in Cameron like many of the players that stayed and graduated. G maybe the exception.

All of those guys played in the NBA and were traveling and busy during the season, and so didn't have time to come back down to Duke very often. Gerald, on the other hand, plays in Charlotte and so is right near by. I think maybe you are wrong about it having anything to do with graduating; I think it has more to do with being busy. Sure, there are a couple of guys who might show up more often, but that is more about them wanting to come visit than not "being in the family."

I don't think anyone was "freezing out" Kyrie... I just think that the banquet for a team like this, that was lead by two seniors who won titles, will be mainly about those seniors and about the team. It is the award winners who are the primary focus. Unless he won some awards, Kyrie is a freshman who only played a handful of games... he won't be a major feature of it. I don't think it is anything personal. Who knows... if you take the Ozzie approach, maybe it is because they know something we don't...? (Just kidding!)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-17-2011, 10:53 PM
All of those guys played in the NBA and were traveling and busy during the season, and so didn't have time to come back down to Duke very often. Gerald, on the other hand, plays in Charlotte and so is right near by. I think maybe you are wrong about it having anything to do with graduating; I think it has more to do with being busy. Sure, there are a couple of guys who might show up more often, but that is more about them wanting to come visit than not "being in the family."

I don't think anyone was "freezing out" Kyrie... I just think that the banquet for a team like this, that was lead by two seniors who won titles, will be mainly about those seniors and about the team. It is the award winners who are the primary focus. Unless he won some awards, Kyrie is a freshman who only played a handful of games... he won't be a major feature of it. I don't think it is anything personal. Who knows... if you take the Ozzie approach, maybe it is because they know something we don't...? (Just kidding!)
Kyrie was very emotionally affected at the banquet. That was witnessed first hand by many there. It wasn't allergies that was causing the tears in his eyes.

COYS
04-17-2011, 11:19 PM
This is not directed at anyone, but is intended, rather, as a general uneasy feeling about the direction this thread could take if we're not too careful. So I'd just like to state a few things explicitly. First of all, it was clear from the beginning that not only was Coach K and the staff aware that Kyrie might be good enough to go pro after one season, they EXPECTED him to be that good and knew that he would probably be gone. There are no hard feelings between the staff and Kyrie. I respect the opinions of those who feel slightly more loyal to Duke players who stay all four years. However, no one can doubt that Duke was committed to Kyrie and Kyrie to Duke, even if his path led him to the NBA after one season. We should be careful not to imply otherwise.

Secondly, I think it is unwise to read too much into a banquet that focuses primarily on two graduating senior champions. Everyone on the team, including a talent such as Kyrie, probably respects Kyle and Nolan about as much as one can possibly respect a teammate. They went through ups and downs, played out of position, played hurt, suffered through some over-the-top criticism, and emerged as three time ACC Champs, NCAA Champs, oh and added a few individual awards on top of that. I think it is safe to say that players who give as much as Kyle and Nolan for four years deserve that much respect at a banquet such as this. I wonder how many times Nolan was mentioned at the banquet his freshman year. Probably not many. I'm sure Kyrie wasn't bothered at all by this and was more than willing to support the senior champions.

Finally, I think it is risky speculating too much into what is going on in Kyrie's head. When I left home for college, I was emotional because I was going to miss my family and friends. However, that didn't mean I was any less committed to attending the college of my choice. There are pros and cons for any decision, even Kyrie's. There are a lot of reasons why Kyrie would be emotional about leaving Duke. If anything, I think this proves how committed he is to Duke (in case someone still doubted that) and how much a part of the Duke Family he has become after one year. But I'd hate that display of emotion to be used to "prove" that he is being pressured into the NBA against his will or that he regrets his decision. There is always a chance he could change his mind, even if I believe that to be ridiculously small. However, we don't know what he's thinking for certain and we risk offending Kyrie or his family by extrapolating too much from what limited information we do have.

Again, this is not directed at anyone. It is mostly intended to remind everyone that what's said on this board is public and I'd hate for any unwarranted negativity or even unintended negativity to be started here.

DukeDevilDeb
04-17-2011, 11:42 PM

Devilsfan:

First, I think you mean Deng (instead of Dang). Second, Mike Dunleavy has GRADUATED from Duke. He came back and did summer work shortly after he went pro. I had the privilege of teaching him over a summer in a Sociology course, and he was a True Blue Devil and committed to graduating. He didn't do what JWill did (complete in three years) because he fully intended to be back for his senior season. But when he was told he would be selected third in the NBA draft, how could he not go?

The difference was that guys like Avery wanted to escape to the NBA. Dunleavy took advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity and STILL became a Duke alumnus. I wish Boozer and Brand and Maggette and Henderson would all do that... but it ain't gonna happen. Too bad with Gerald... he would have done an honor's thesis his senior year... I haven't seen him running back to finish up.

I will always defend Dunleavy. He handled his situation with great class and ended up with the best of both worlds: a Duke degree and a #3 pick in the lottery.

Somehow, I don't think we'll see Kyrie come back to graduate.

MCFinARL
04-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Devilsfan:

First, I think you mean Deng (instead of Dang). Second, Mike Dunleavy has GRADUATED from Duke. He came back and did summer work shortly after he went pro. I had the privilege of teaching him over a summer in a Sociology course, and he was a True Blue Devil and committed to graduating. He didn't do what JWill did (complete in three years) because he fully intended to be back for his senior season. But when he was told he would be selected third in the NBA draft, how could he not go?

The difference was that guys like Avery wanted to escape to the NBA. Dunleavy took advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity and STILL became a Duke alumnus. I wish Boozer and Brand and Maggette and Henderson would all do that... but it ain't gonna happen. Too bad with Gerald... he would have done an honor's thesis his senior year... I haven't seen him running back to finish up.

I will always defend Dunleavy. He handled his situation with great class and ended up with the best of both worlds: a Duke degree and a #3 pick in the lottery.

Maybe not--but his dad was very clear in a recent interview that Kyrie has promised to get a college degree, because that is an important value of their family. It's possible it won't work out for him to do that at Duke, since he only has a year's worth of Duke credits now, but I think it's important for us to recognize that his decision in no way represents a devaluing of college education.

MCFinARL
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
This is not directed at anyone, but is intended, rather, as a general uneasy feeling about the direction this thread could take if we're not too careful. So I'd just like to state a few things explicitly. First of all, it was clear from the beginning that not only was Coach K and the staff aware that Kyrie might be good enough to go pro after one season, they EXPECTED him to be that good and knew that he would probably be gone. There are no hard feelings between the staff and Kyrie. I respect the opinions of those who feel slightly more loyal to Duke players who stay all four years. However, no one can doubt that Duke was committed to Kyrie and Kyrie to Duke, even if his path led him to the NBA after one season. We should be careful not to imply otherwise.

Secondly, I think it is unwise to read too much into a banquet that focuses primarily on two graduating senior champions. Everyone on the team, including a talent such as Kyrie, probably respects Kyle and Nolan about as much as one can possibly respect a teammate. They went through ups and downs, played out of position, played hurt, suffered through some over-the-top criticism, and emerged as three time ACC Champs, NCAA Champs, oh and added a few individual awards on top of that. I think it is safe to say that players who give as much as Kyle and Nolan for four years deserve that much respect at a banquet such as this. I wonder how many times Nolan was mentioned at the banquet his freshman year. Probably not many. I'm sure Kyrie wasn't bothered at all by this and was more than willing to support the senior champions.

Finally, I think it is risky speculating too much into what is going on in Kyrie's head. When I left home for college, I was emotional because I was going to miss my family and friends. However, that didn't mean I was any less committed to attending the college of my choice. There are pros and cons for any decision, even Kyrie's. There are a lot of reasons why Kyrie would be emotional about leaving Duke. If anything, I think this proves how committed he is to Duke (in case someone still doubted that) and how much a part of the Duke Family he has become after one year. But I'd hate that display of emotion to be used to "prove" that he is being pressured into the NBA against his will or that he regrets his decision. There is always a chance he could change his mind, even if I believe that to be ridiculously small. However, we don't know what he's thinking for certain and we risk offending Kyrie or his family by extrapolating too much from what limited information we do have.

Again, this is not directed at anyone. It is mostly intended to remind everyone that what's said on this board is public and I'd hate for any unwarranted negativity or even unintended negativity to be started here.

You make such an important point here, and one that I think is often overlooked in the either-or thinking that it's so easy to slip into. Sometimes the most wrenching decisions are those that involve choosing between two good alternatives--because even when the choice is clear, it's hard not to feel sad about what you will miss. Choosing the NBA isn't rejecting Duke--it's simply concluding that the NBA is, on balance, a better or more appropriate choice. Kyrie is a talented basketball player and a smart young man, he's demonstrated in so many ways that he has loved being at Duke and that he has the greatest respect for the program, the coaching staff, and his teammates, and he is lucky enough to be able to choose, without the undue pressures of financial hardship, between two wonderful options. Let's give him the respect to allow him his choice without treating every tweet or hiccup as a fortune cookie to be endlessly analyzed for hidden meanings. And let's, definitely, take Coach K at his word, expressed on more appropriate occasions than the banquet which is primarily designed to recognize seniors, that Kyrie has been a very valuable member of the Duke program, leaves school for the NBA with the coaching staff's blessing, and will always be part of the Duke basketball family.

uh_no
04-18-2011, 12:23 AM
You make such an important point here, and one that I think is often overlooked in the either-or thinking that it's so easy to slip into. Sometimes the most wrenching decisions are those that involve choosing between two good alternatives--because even when the choice is clear, it's hard not to feel sad about what you will miss. Choosing the NBA isn't rejecting Duke--it's simply concluding that the NBA is, on balance, a better or more appropriate choice. Kyrie is a talented basketball player and a smart young man, he's demonstrated in so many ways that he has loved being at Duke and that he has the greatest respect for the program, the coaching staff, and his teammates, and he is lucky enough to be able to choose, without the undue pressures of financial hardship, between two wonderful options. Let's give him the respect to allow him his choice without treating every tweet or hiccup as a fortune cookie to be endlessly analyzed for hidden meanings. And let's, definitely, take Coach K at his word, expressed on more appropriate occasions than the banquet which is primarily designed to recognize seniors, that Kyrie has been a very valuable member of the Duke program, leaves school for the NBA with the coaching staff's blessing, and will always be part of the Duke basketball family.

That's phenomenally well said. As much as I would love to have such a choice, I can not imagine making a choice between untold sums of money and something as awesome as being at duke. You almost have to feel bad for the kid who is forced to give up something like that (as much as you can feel bad for a guy about to live a life of fame)...but I never was forced to make a choice between professional success and being at duke. For me one lead (or will have lead) to the other.

DevilWearsPrada
04-18-2011, 05:08 AM
For all of those who sat downstairs at the banquet, the catering company for the dinner was Savoir Faire. I heard no positive feedback for the meal. In fact, there were many, that went out to eat, after the program.

But the night was about the Team, and awards, and honoring the Seniors! Our Seniors were amazing!

HCheek37
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Any reason as to why the speeches aren't available yet? Last year we had Scheyer's, LT, Zoubek all available almost immediately after the banquet.

For those of us too far away to travel to the banquet it would be great to get a video of these speeches!

DukeGirl4ever
04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Any reason as to why the speeches aren't available yet? Last year we had Scheyer's, LT, Zoubek all available almost immediately after the banquet.

For those of us too far away to travel to the banquet it would be great to get a video of these speeches!

I also remember being able to watch the senior videos that Mrs. K put together. Are those available anywhere?

1 24 90
04-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I also remember being able to watch the senior videos that Mrs. K put together. Are those available anywhere?

The tribute videos are on dukeblueplanet.com

DukeGirl4ever
04-18-2011, 09:59 AM

I'll have to check when I get home (darn youtube is blocked at work and I think DBP links all their videos through there).

I did watch the "Retrospective" videos on Nolan and Kyle but didn't know if they were the same ones that Mrs. K puts together.

Thanks.

macb09
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
That's what I see also-those are the retrospectives those are not the great videos set to music that Mrs. K always oversees-can anyone post those please-I always love those!

I'll have to check when I get home (darn youtube is blocked at work and I think DBP links all their videos through there).

I did watch the "Retrospective" videos on Nolan and Kyle but didn't know if they were the same ones that Mrs. K puts together.

Thanks.

IrishDevil
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Did you attend the banquet? Are those really the senior videos? They're pretty different from the usual emotional montages, with their interviews, etc. These seem like blue planet, rather than Mrs. K, productions.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM

The speeches were video'd by someone upstairs and uploaded to YouTube. Someone here linked them. A few hours later the videos were blocked as "Private". The original poster said he didn't do it; don't know if he took the videos or not, so we don't know who blocked them.

The senior and team videos That Mrs. K puts together are NEVER made public. The reason is because of the music rights for the music used in them. If they made the videos public, they would have to pay royalties for using the music. For private use with no distribution - only the seniors get a copy - they don't. This was explained to me by someone in the athletic department about ten years ago. Don't expect this policy to change, it would be prohibitively expensive to do so.

DukeGirl4ever
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
The senior and team videos That Mrs. K puts together are NEVER made public. The reason is because of the music rights for the music used in them. If they made the videos public, they would have to pay royalties for using the music. For private use with no distribution - only the seniors get a copy - they don't. This was explained to me by someone in the athletic department about ten years ago. Don't expect this policy to change, it would be prohibitively expensive to do so.

They were available last year through youtube, Ozzie. Unfortunately, like you said, probably illegally, though. I remember Jon's video was set to a Faith Hill song (I believe) and I cried like a baby while watching it! :p

I really need to move to North Carolina so I can experience some of these things!

Raleighfan
04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
For all of those who sat downstairs at the banquet, the catering company for the dinner was Savoir Faire. I heard no positive feedback for the meal. In fact, there were many, that went out to eat, after the program.

But the night was about the Team, and awards, and honoring the Seniors! Our Seniors were amazing!

As a veteran of many of these MBB banquets, I'll say that the food left a lot to be desired (big mistake to have the desserts sitting on the tables for hours to dry out) and also the serving staff seemed to be extremely disorganized. I wondered if some of them were last-minute recruits. As far as food/service goes, the women's banquet at the Washington Duke was superior to Friday night.

HOWEVER, we went not for the fine dining experience, but rather to see the Team together one last time and hear from the great Seniors of 2011 and for that we were well-rewarded.

macb09
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes I've watched them on youtube before also-and I think last year's are still out there-I know they were as of the other day anyway.

They were available last year through youtube, Ozzie. Unfortunately, like you said, probably illegally, though. I remember Jon's video was set to a Faith Hill song (I believe) and I cried like a baby while watching it! :p

I really need to move to North Carolina so I can experience some of these things!

1 24 90
04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Did you attend the banquet? Are those really the senior videos? They're pretty different from the usual emotional montages, with their interviews, etc. These seem like blue planet, rather than Mrs. K, productions.

I did not. I thought the tribute videos on dukeblueplanet were the same thing as the Mrs. K videos but apparently they aren't. Sorry for the confusion.

weezie
04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
As a veteran of many of these MBB banquets, I'll say that the food left a lot to be desired (big mistake to have the desserts sitting on the tables for hours to dry out)

Seconded. It was horrendous. Didn't used to be so bad but the ID office must now be squeezing every penny till it screams. It's annoying, so maybe I'll join Ozzie upstairs next year and spend the extra $ on bbq somewhere else.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Seconded. It was horrendous. Didn't used to be so bad but the ID office must now be squeezing every penny till it screams. It's annoying, so maybe I'll join Ozzie upstairs next year and spend the extra $ on bbq somewhere else.
You can join us for dinner too. Most years we eat at Neo China, and as usual it was delicious for under $15pp!:cool:

DevilWearsPrada
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Please contact:
Whitney Dunlap, Director of Special Events (919) 613-7557 wdunlap@duaa.duke.edu

with your Comments about the DINNER portion of the banquet. Whitney books the vendors for the events. I spoke with her on Sunday afternoon, during Bill Brill's reception, about the MEAL on Friday night. I have never, ever complained about any Duke event. But I told Whitney, that everyone I spoke to, complained about the food. IT was the QUALITY and the bland taste of the food. The Cake was so dry, it fell off my fork. We had Roast Beef, so I was told it was Roast Beef. The $1 Roast Beef Sandwich at Arby's is much better in taste and quality.

She told me it was the same menu as last year. (I dont remember it being the same menu). But I do remember, we went to SIX PLATES after the program last year, because we were all hungry from the small portions of food we were served.

I would have loved for Ted's Catering out of Henderson to have served dinner for the banquet. Ted's Barbeque and Chicken and desserts (banana pudding, carrot cake, and apple cobbler) are the best. Ted's Catering has been used for many Duke functions.

AGAIN, the banquet is about the team, and the Seniors, but however, I think since everything else is such excellent quality (the decorations, flowers, the stage, Mrs K's videos, and of course the awards and speeches); then the MEAL at the banquet should at least be of at least a decent quality.

PLEASE SEND your COMMENTS about the FOOD to Whitney. If you dont let her know, then she thinks everything is GREAT!

I think I will join OZZIE upstairs next year for $15, and save the $40 for a good meal, a couple of cocktails and a good tip to the server!

sagegrouse
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Please contact:
Whitney Dunlap, Director of Special Events (919) 613-7557 wdunlap@duaa.duke.edu

with your Comments about the DINNER portion of the banquet. Whitney books the vendors for the events. I spoke with her on Sunday afternoon, during Bill Brill's reception, about the MEAL on Friday night. I have never, ever complained about any Duke event. But I told Whitney, that everyone I spoke to, complained about the food. IT was the QUALITY and the bland taste of the food. The Cake was so dry, it fell off my fork. We had Roast Beef, so I was told it was Roast Beef. The $1 Roast Beef Sandwich at Arby's is much better in taste and quality.

She told me it was the same menu as last year. (I dont remember it being the same menu). But I do remember, we went to SIX PLATES after the program last year, because we were all hungry from the small portions of food we were served.

I would have loved for Ted's Catering out of Henderson to have served dinner for the banquet. Ted's Barbeque and Chicken and desserts (banana pudding, carrot cake, and apple cobbler) are the best. Ted's Catering has been used for many Duke functions.

AGAIN, the banquet is about the team, and the Seniors, but however, I think since everything else is such excellent quality (the decorations, flowers, the stage, Mrs K's videos, and of course the awards and speeches); then the MEAL at the banquet should at least be of at least a decent quality.

PLEASE SEND your COMMENTS about the FOOD to Whitney. If you dont let her know, then she thinks everything is GREAT!

I think I will join OZZIE upstairs next year for $15, and save the $40 for a good meal, a couple of cocktails and a good tip to the server!

As a guy who has dealt with caterers for the class reunions, it isn't usually the caterer. Durham Catering has handled my last two reunions, 2009 and 2004. The food and drink at the Saturday night party for all classes in the big tent (100 yards plus) is beyond superb. It is truly wonderful. The Friday night class party was execrable (that's bad, isn't it?). Same guys, different budgets. The 20-somethings in the Alumni Office have no-o-o-o-o clue about food or wine. They just want to keep the cost of the reunion as low as possible. The food was insubstantial and barely edible. The wine offered was $3.99 on the Internet. There was no way to improve it. As a solution, I brought cases of really good wine down from DC (and it was not that expensive), and we took up a collection. Attendees loved the wine. In the process of getting the white Burgundy chilled before the event, I went by Durham Catering and talked to the big guy who runs it. He was extremely knowledgeable about wine and knew two of the wines we brought. In short, it's the people who order the food and drink who are the problem, not -- in this case, at least -- the caterer.

sagegrouse
'Sixty-somethings drinking good wine are a lot happier than sixty-somethings consuming dreck'

DevilWearsPrada
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
As a guy who has dealt with caterers for the class reunions, it isn't usually the caterer. Durham Catering has handled my last two reunions, 2009 and 2004. The food and drink at the Saturday night party for all classes in the big tent (100 yards plus) is beyond superb. It is truly wonderful. The Friday night class party was execrable (that's bad, isn't it?). Same guys, different budgets. The 20-somethings in the Alumni Office have no-o-o-o-o clue about food or wine. They just want to keep the cost of the reunion as low as possible. The food was insubstantial and barely edible. The wine offered was $3.99 on the Internet. There was no way to improve it. As a solution, I brought cases of really good wine down from DC (and it was not that expensive), and we took up a collection. Attendees loved the wine. In the process of getting the white Burgundy chilled before the event, I went by Durham Catering and talked to the big guy who runs it. He was extremely knowledgeable about wine and knew two of the wines we brought. In short, it's the people who order the food and drink who are the problem, not -- in this case, at least -- the caterer.

sagegrouse
'Sixty-somethings drinking good wine are a lot happier than sixty-somethings consuming dreck'

DURHAM CATERING did not cater the Mens Banquet. Savoir Faire Catering out of Raleigh did.

But for Brill's reception, Durham Catering was used and the food and beverages were excellent.

I wish you would have brought some of the wine to the men's banquet. Several of us, could have used a glass or two of wine!

Indoor66
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Is that Ted's any kin to Ted's Kickin Chicken in Pfafftown?

macb09
04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Does anyone have any updates if it's possible to view the Mrs. K music videos any place-I've loved watching those in the past

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have any updates if it's possible to view the Mrs. K music videos any place-I've loved watching those in the past
Do you have access to a time machine? If so, you can attend last Friday night's program! Otherwise, there is no legal way you'll be able to see them.

DukeGirl4ever
04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Do you have access to a time machine? If so, you can attend last Friday night's program! Otherwise, there is no legal way you'll be able to see them.

Ozzie, I went and double checked youtube and sure enough, the Mrs. K videos for Jon, Lance, and Brian are on there from last year. Jon's video was simply amazing.
However, they were posted by someone who "videotaped the video" and posted it through youtube. It wasn't something official released from Duke University. They have been up there for 11 months. I live in PA and certainly appreciated viewing it since attending the banquet is not feasible for me.

Those of you who are in to the legal stuff, is that illegal? Many people post stuff on youtube that play a song in the background with lyrics and pictures that symbolize what the song means to them. Is that any different?

EDIT: I also want to add that every year I do a theme song project with my students where they pick a song that relates to their year, write an essay about it, but then create an iMovie using the song in the background. I have never gained copyright permission for that.....should I?

anon
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Ozzie, I went and double checked youtube and sure enough, the Mrs. K videos for Jon, Lance, and Brian are on there from last year. Jon's video was simply amazing.
However, they were posted by someone who "videotaped the video" and posted it through youtube. It wasn't something official released from Duke University. They have been up there for 11 months. I live in PA and certainly appreciated viewing it since attending the banquet is not feasible for me.

Those of you who are in to the legal stuff, is that illegal? Many people post stuff on youtube that play a song in the background with lyrics and pictures that symbolize what the song means to them. Is that any different?

Yes, to post a video or music to which you do not own the copyright on YouTube is against federal law. Will Duke enforce its copyright on the senior videos? Unlikely. And the worst that would likely happen is that Duke complains and YouTube removes the content.

I do know that the Duke video staff and/or the K family keep these movies around, as I've been privileged enough to see some from the 1990s and early 2000s in the past couple of years. I wouldn't be shocked to see K pull out the Singler and Smith montages at some point down the line—they were spectacular.

DukeGirl4ever
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, to post a video or music to which you do not own the copyright on YouTube is against federal law. Will Duke enforce its copyright on the senior videos? Unlikely. And the worst that would likely happen is that Duke complains and YouTube removes the content.

Good info. Lots of people would be in trouble on youtube, then. Do a simple search for a song and several, if not hundreds of videos come up with a popular "hit" song and a self-made video.

Getting back on topic, I now know it won't happen (thanks to you and Ozzie) but I would love to see Kyle's senior video. From watching the senior videos from last year, I can tell Mrs. K puts a lot of time, effort, and thought in to these videos. Anyone know what song Mrs. K picked for Kyle?

anon
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Good info. Lots of people would be in trouble on youtube, then. Do a simple search for a song and several, if not hundreds of videos come up with a popular "hit" song and a self-made video.

Getting back on topic, I now know it won't happen (thanks to you and Ozzie) but I would love to see Kyle's senior video. From watching the senior videos from last year, I can tell Mrs. K puts a lot of time, effort, and thought in to these videos. Anyone know what song Mrs. K picked for Kyle?

Some soft rock song that kept repeating, "Fight and Defend." I thought it was apt.

Looks like it's Avril Lavigne – Keep Holding On. And yes, I used illegal YouTube uploads to verify that.

macb09
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks-I thought I was losing it because I always remember seeing prior year's out there-oh well, guess I will keep hoping that I get to see them at some point-even though I don't have a time machine :)

EDIT: I also want to add that every year I do a theme song project with my students where they pick a song that relates to their year, write an essay about it, but then create an iMovie using the song in the background. I have never gained copyright permission for that.....should I?

The Gordog
04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Devilsfan:

Pretty sure Boozer graduated in 3 years just as JayWil did. :)

MCFinARL
04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Note re your class project, though--if your students are posting their movie on the Internet, then, yes, you probably need to be concerned about rights and permissions. But if they are just using it in your class and keeping copies for themselves, I don't think you do--it would probably be a "personal use" thing. (I could be wrong.)

basket1544
04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
What was Nolan's song that Mrs. K picked? I've always thought of Cooler than Me as Nolan's song because no one is cooler than Nolan. I've also thought of Iron Man as Kyle's song.

DevilWearsPrada
04-20-2011, 04:59 AM
What was Nolan's song that Mrs. K picked? I've always thought of Cooler than Me as Nolan's song because no one is cooler than Nolan. I've also thought of Iron Man as Kyle's song.

"COOLER THAN ME" by Mike Posner (Duke 2010), National Recording Artist... would have been the PERFECT song for Nolan. And Nolan went to see Mike perform at Cats Cradle in Carrboro/Chapel Hill this past Sunday night. (Pic on Nolan's Twitter). And No one is Cooler than Nolan (NdotSmitty).

And Nolan put his shades on, at the beginning of his Senior Speech when he interviewed his family (Monica, Sidney and Curtis). Pics on DukeBluePlanet.com

And as Coach K said "Everyone likes Nolan. Therefore, they like everyone around him". That is in reference to some of the Most Hated Duke Players. Going to miss the Cool Nolan and WArrior Kyle and Casey next season. Forever (4)ever Champions!!!

MCFinARL
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
"COOLER THAN ME" by Mike Posner (Duke 2010), National Recording Artist... would have been the PERFECT song for Nolan. And Nolan went to see Mike perform at Cats Cradle in Carrboro/Chapel Hill this past Sunday night. (Pic on Nolan's Twitter). And No one is Cooler than Nolan (NdotSmitty).

And Nolan put his shades on, at the beginning of his Senior Speech when he interviewed his family (Monica, Sidney and Curtis). Pics on DukeBluePlanet.com

And as Coach K said "Everyone likes Nolan. Therefore, they like everyone around him". That is in reference to some of the Most Hated Duke Players. Going to miss the Cool Nolan and WArrior Kyle and Casey next season. Forever (4)ever Champions!!!

Perfect as long as you don't listen too closely to the lyrics--which clearly describe someone whose "coolness" consists of snubbing and ignoring people--which is so not Nolan. Agreed, though, that the Duke connection would have made it a good choice.

PumpkinFunk
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
"COOLER THAN ME" by Mike Posner (Duke 2010), National Recording Artist... would have been the PERFECT song for Nolan.

On the surface, maybe, but you have to listen to the song and the context in which it was written. Cooler than Me is a song that was written to bash both a particular person and a population of stuck-up Duke girls (often in "top" sororities, though not always) who think they are better than everyone else here. Posner himself (who himself was in one of the "top" fraternities) has been interviewed and said as much.

DevilWearsPrada
04-20-2011, 12:07 PM
On the surface, maybe, but you have to listen to the song and the context in which it was written. Cooler than Me is a song that was written to bash both a particular person and a population of stuck-up Duke girls (often in "top" sororities, though not always) who think they are better than everyone else here. Posner himself (who himself was in one of the "top" fraternities) has been interviewed and said as much.

Thank you! I know Nolan and Mike are good friends. The music is awesome.

The videos at the banquet were all excellent, that showcased the seniors! Coach K even mentioned several times how much time Mickey and a couple of other members of the Athletic office spent putting the videos and montages together.

Are all the videos linked anywhere?