PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Hubert to UNC

Bluedog
04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Desmond Hubert has committed to Carolina according to Dave Telep. He had narrowed his choices down to Carolina and Maryland. He's a 6'9" PF/C out of NJ. Scout has him as the #13 center and 3-stars (not in the top 100). ESPN has him also as a 3-star and #20 in his position (unranked overall). Rivals ranks him as the #15 C and #131 overall (3-stars). Based on reading a few blurbs, he's supposed to have good length and shotblocking abilities, but needs to improve his strength and overall skillset. More of a defensive player than offensive at this point. Sounds like a not quite as skilled Henson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6355306
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1064352.html

Edit: Note that he's class of 2011, so he's one of the last players to commit.

adukeforduke
04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Wake Forest was recruiting this kid heavy. Im truly glad UNC got him. It takes up a scholarship for four years:D

UrinalCake
04-15-2011, 05:32 AM
They could use the extra body in practice. This gives them four true big men in Zeller, Henson, McAdoo, and now Hubert. Also, don't assume he's useless - plenty of lowly ranked big men wind up developing into dominant players (see Williams, Jordan and Derrick)

airowe
04-15-2011, 08:02 AM
They could use the extra body in practice. This gives them four true big men in Zeller, Henson, McAdoo, and now Hubert. Also, don't assume he's useless - plenty of lowly ranked big men wind up developing into dominant players (see Williams, Jordan and Derrick)

I wouldn't consider McAdoo a "true post player", but I've seen others do it as well. On he college level, James is more likely to shoot a jumper than post somebody up.

gumbomoop
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Good advice. I saw (on tv) Hubert in the All-American Championship games in Houston. He's long, with solid potential esp as shot-blocker. Gives Heels some useful depth, and might play a bit his first year. A project, but worthwhile addition for the already-deep Heels.

To be clear, the Devils are also pretty deep next year, and will challenge for ACC #1.

sandinmyshoes
04-15-2011, 01:13 PM
I've seen some of this kid playing. He has a kind of Ed Davis body with Casey Sanders skill set. I don't think he'll ever carry the weight Casey could, but he has hands that are at least a little better.

Has some potential. Not a bad last minute pick up for UNC.

I also remember reading an article about the young man some time ago, about his mother dying and him living with his uncle. Seems like a good character type.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Here is a link to that article (http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boysbasketball/index.ssf/2010/12/full_of_promise_new_egypt_basketball_star_desmond_ hubert_pushes_past_strife_to_excel_on_court.html). ...

And following is a list of schools who supposedly gave him an offer as well...Pretty good programs, so somebody thinks he can play besides Roy.

Connecticut
Georgia Tech
Maryland
North Carolina State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Princeton
Providence
Rice
St. Joseph's