PDA

View Full Version : 90 Minutes Well Spent

OZZIE4DUKE
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been linked on the main page yet, and if it was, I missed it.

It's video taped during the reunion last weekend and it's the funniest 90 minutes you'll spend with some of your favorite Blue Devils of yesterday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Dct6klSsw

G man
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Watched every minute of it I thought it was great. Those who do not have the 90 mins to spend on it watch the last 20 or so very good!!!

NashvilleDevil
04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Concur. Really enjoyed all the stories from these guys. Loved seeing Mark Alarie on the panel. And Jay's anecdote about what he told his son what to say after a loss had me rolling. Just a tremendous 90 minutes.

devildeac
04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
One word:

FATHER

Ya gotta listen near the end.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

Verga3
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
This is great!! Thanks, Ozzie.....priceless.

Dr. Tina
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm about 50 minutes through the video, and it's great stuff. Very, very funny - esp. Bilas and Kenny! Loving it!

cspan37421
04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I came to Duke in fall 1985, and clearly I missed a very funny guy in Kenny Dennard. I heard stories, but there's nothing like the real thing.

Mark Alarie hasn't aged a day.

Dr. Tina
04-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Jay's suggestion to his son when he gets heckled after a Duke loss...

"You know what...we are really happy for you...that for one day you can feel what it's like to be like us...all the time!"

I suggest every Duke fan say that from now on....lololol

77devil
04-14-2011, 08:31 AM
I missed a very funny guy in Kenny Dennard. I heard stories, but there's nothing like the real thing.

Indeed. I spent some time with Kenny during his recruiting visit. I think Mark Crow was his host, but the memories get fuzzy. Oh the stories one could tell.

dukebluesincebirth
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been linked on the main page yet, and if it was, I missed it.

It's video taped during the reunion last weekend and it's the funniest 90 minutes you'll spend with some of your favorite Blue Devils of yesterday!

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to forward it to my older brother and father, because it really takes us through the generations of being Duke fans. I'm the youngest fan in my family and my first Duke memories were of Alarie, Bilas, Dawkins, Amaker. My older brother loved Denard and Banks, and my Dad goes back much further. This is an enjoyable video, especially the last few minutes. Thanks again!

Jackson
04-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention Ozzie! Great video! Wish I had been there to see if firsthand.

Reddevil
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
One word:

FATHER

Ya gotta listen near the end.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

I'm stealing FATHER, and replacing Rasheed with Roy. Those guys are terrific!

August West
04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Great video! :cool: Thanks Ozzie. AW

Jeff Frosh
04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Ozzie. That was fantastic. Duke student-athletes are just a different breed. Quality people, and Kenny and Jay should take their show on the road. I am way too busy to have spent 90 minutes watching this. I figured I would check it out for a few minutes, but I couldn't stop watching. Wow.

Cell-R
04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
This is awesome, Ozzie! Can't wait when I have the time to listen to the entire thing. Thanks for sharing. :D

SoCalDukeFan
04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Very good stuff.

I found Jay Bilas' comments on physical play interesting. I also agree with them.

Basically college basketball has gotten more physical over the years and is now more physical than the NBA. The NBA calls the fouls because the NBA wants offensive stars.

While Jay did not say it, I wonder if the NCAA wants close games and upsets, both of which are more likely in physical games.

SoCal

captmojo
04-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Fantastic forum! The only thing to have made it better would have been OZZIE sitting in the center of the dias. Thanks.

ricks68
04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
I watched the entire 90 minutes and give it the highest 5-star rating. I tried to pass along that Bilas comment to one of my friends tonight, coincidently, but couldn't get it right. Thanks Dr. Tina, now I don't have to go back and find it on the tape to get it right the next time.:D

I especially enjoyed Jack Marin's subtle comments, and also finally now know why he decided to pass up Duke med school for the NBA. Hopefully, having him on the panel opened up some of those younger eyes that follow Duke bball to what Duke bball was BK. We were more than just good during the Vic Bubas era, and did well even before that.

I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in learning a lot about the history of the Duke "family" in one heck of an entertaining 90 minutes, see this video.

ricks

Dr. Tina
04-15-2011, 11:48 PM
I watched the entire 90 minutes and give it the highest 5-star rating. I tried to pass along that Bilas comment to one of my friends tonight, coincidently, but couldn't get it right. Thanks Dr. Tina, now I don't have to go back and find it on the tape to get it right the next time.:D

I especially enjoyed Jack Marin's subtle comments, and also finally now know why he decided to pass up Duke med school for the NBA. Hopefully, having him on the panel opened up some of those younger eyes that follow Duke bball to what Duke bball was BK. We were more than just good during the Vic Bubas era, and did well even before that.

I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in learning a lot about the history of the Duke "family" in one heck of an entertaining 90 minutes, see this video.

ricks

No problem. I'm thinking of making it a slogan and putting it up on my wall....lol

NSDukeFan
04-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this. It was a great way to spend 90 minutes.

ricks
There were many great lines in the video, some great discussions and I also enjoyed Bilas' passionate case for his friend Alarie's jersey retirement (as Dennard put it 32A.)

I wonder also if (as Dennard suggested) I should join Twitter just to read Bilas' lines. I don't think I will (I hardly ever even use Facebook), so I will depend on DBR members to let me know of some of his greatest ones.

JamminJoe
04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Very enjoyable. Should be required viewing for anyone who questions Jay Bilas' true Devil-blueness. I kind of laughed back before the NCAA tourney this year when Vitale nominated Bilas as the new head of the NCAA (mostly because the number of conspiracy theories about Duke would go through the roof), but the man is supremely knowledgeable about college basketball.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-16-2011, 07:52 PM

ricks

As is often the case, I agree with what you've posted here, ricks. I absolutely cheered and shouted at Jack Marin's answer about the toughest player at Duke while he was. His description of Artie was like being there! His appraisal of where Artie ranks in all time Duke players is right on as we used to say.

heyman25
04-16-2011, 09:17 PM
As is often the case, I agree with what you've posted here, ricks. I absolutely cheered and shouted at Jack Marin's answer about the toughest player at Duke while he was. His description of Artie was like being there! His appraisal of where Artie ranks in all time Duke players is right on as we used to say.
I met him in Durham @ Beth El Synagogue when I was 8 or 9. Use him for my email heyman25. Too bad his NBA career did not last long.He did well in the ABA. His stats were great except for shooting %. 40 points 24 rebounds against Heels with Billy Cunningham and Larry Brown on senior day.

DevilWearsPrada
04-18-2011, 01:23 PM
This was fantastic! Kenny and Jay are so funny! Off the cuff, humor!

You have to watch the last 20 minutes, with the audience Q&A session.

Bob Harris comments at the end, about recording the session, and it will be on "Comedy Central", just hilarious!

Thanks Ozzie, for posting this, for all of us to view! Good Stuff!

The word "FATHER" now takes on a whole new meaning! Thanks Kenny D! lol:cool: