PDA

View Full Version : Doug Collins on the Dan Patrick Show

UrinalCake
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Chris Collins' father (current head coach of the 76'ers) was on the DP show this morning and towards the end of the interview was asked about Chris. Here is some of what he said, as best I can recall:

- DP asked if he thought the Duke job would come down to Collins and Wojo once K retires. Doug Collins said he would not recommend that his son take the job due to the enormous pressure of having to follow Coach K and all he has done, not only on the court but within the community. He also thought that K would probably coach another 7-8 years, and that Chris would instead take a job elsewhere in the interim.

- DP asked if Chris has turned down head coaching jobs, and Doug said yes. He said Chris does not want to take over a program that is down and needs to be rebuilt, but instead wants to go to a winning program whose head coach has moved on (later, DP's intern or whatever suggested UCONN as a possibility if Calhoun retires this year or next, but DP thought replacing a three-time national champion coach would be a big enough challenge in itself).

- Doug said that Chris is in a great position right now, that Coach K is like a CEO who delegates a lot of responsibility to his assistants. Said that K is "training them [Collins and Wojo] to be head coaches."

- After the interview DP continued discussing the issue and offered his opinion that Wojo is the one who has been "chosen" by K to be his replacement. He bases this on the fact that Wojo appears with K at events more often, and that it's just a gut feeling.

There was more that I didn't get to hear, but it was all interesting stuff. Here's a link to the full show (http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/04/13/doug-collins-talks-about-the-76ers-chances-against-the-heat/)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Chris Collins' father (current head coach of the 76'ers) was on the DP show this morning and towards the end of the interview was asked about Chris. Here is some of what he said, as best I can recall:

- DP asked if he thought the Duke job would come down to Collins and Wojo once K retires. Doug Collins said he would not recommend that his son take the job due to the enormous pressure of having to follow Coach K and all he has done, not only on the court but within the community. He also thought that K would probably coach another 7-8 years, and that Chris would instead take a job elsewhere in the interim.

- DP asked if Chris has turned down head coaching jobs, and Doug said yes. He said Chris does not want to take over a program that is down and needs to be rebuilt, but instead wants to go to a winning program whose head coach has moved on (later, DP's intern or whatever suggested UCONN as a possibility if Calhoun retires this year or next, but DP thought replacing a three-time national champion coach would be a big enough challenge in itself).

- Doug said that Chris is in a great position right now, that Coach K is like a CEO who delegates a lot of responsibility to his assistants. Said that K is "training them [Collins and Wojo] to be head coaches."

- After the interview DP continued discussing the issue and offered his opinion that Wojo is the one who has been "chosen" by K to be his replacement. He bases this on the fact that Wojo appears with K at events more often, and that it's just a gut feeling.

There was more that I didn't get to hear, but it was all interesting stuff. Here's a link to the full show (http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/04/13/doug-collins-talks-about-the-76ers-chances-against-the-heat/)
Interesting stuff, especially the concluding opinion. Can't disagree with it. Besides, why would we want a coach whose name we could easily spell? http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/3.gif

roywhite
04-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the post, U.C.

Just my .02 on Chris Collins, Wojo, and K's successor:

Both are doing a terrific job as assistants. For succeeding K, either is a possibility; I prefer Wojo, but I think a head coaching stint prior to return to the alma mater is absolutely essential.

northernduke
04-13-2011, 11:31 AM

Was actually at a conference in NY last night and K was the speaker at the event. The last question in the Q&A with the audience was whether the next coach would be from the Duke family or an outsider. He was quick in his response to state it will be from someone within the family and that he has spent his career cultivating the family culture. He then remarked (and with a smile) that some of the assistants, ex-assistants and other coaches (e.g., Capel) have indicated some hesistency to take over given the pressure and what not.

I'm not insinuating he meant Collins or anyone else specifically, just following on UrinalCake's post given the timing of the two comments. Can't say I fault any of the coaches for showing some nerves given the enormity of the task.

OldPhiKap
04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Can't say I fault any of the coaches for showing some nerves given the enormity of the task.

Yeah, ask Bill Guthridge or Matt Doh!erty.

Whoever follows K -- and here's to hoping it is some time in the 2020's -- has a crazyhard task.

Lord Ash
04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Ahhh Gut... two Final Fours in three years, and he was gone!

NovaScotian
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM

yeah, what a failure, right?

but seriously, do you think wojo and collins might have a hard time getting a big time job if schools might think duke will steal them right back once coach mike hangs it up? probably not. my money is on johnny d.

gam7
04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Doug Collins also appeared on PTI yesterday and told a touching story about a great gesture by Chris. Apparently Jerry Colangelo somehow arranged for the coaches involved with the Olympic team to receive gold medals (this is what Doug Collins said - but I thought coaches did not receive Olympic medals, which is why there was that awesome picture of K with the whole Olympic team and all of their medals around his neck). Anyway, Chris was involved with scouting other teams, etc., and so he received a gold medal from Beijing. A couple years ago, Doug was inducted into the hall of fame as a broadcaster and at dinner after the induction, Chris stood up and "through tears" Chris said "Dad, 37 years too late, but here's the gold medal you should have had a long time ago." It obviously was a touching moment for Doug Collins and has it hanging in his office now.

Not sure this is the case. Collins seems to have a lot of head coaching-type responsibilities too. He usually handles the halftime interviews with broadcasters. He filled in for Coach K at the press conference when Coach K was out for a family emergency. I would be shocked if either of them is being groomed specifically for the Duke head coaching job right now.

The last question in the Q&A with the audience was whether the next coach would be from the Duke family or an outsider. He was quick in his response to state it will be from someone within the family and that he has spent his career cultivating the family culture. He then remarked (and with a smile) that some of the assistants, ex-assistants and other coaches (e.g., Capel) have indicated some hesistency to take over given the pressure and what not.

I'm not insinuating he meant Collins or anyone else specifically, just following on UrinalCake's post given the timing of the two comments. Can't say I fault any of the coaches for showing some nerves given the enormity of the task.

In related news, Brad Stevens and Jay Wright will be receiving honorary Duke degrees at commencement this year. :)

gam7
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM

but seriously, do you think wojo and collins might have a hard time getting a big time job if schools might think duke will steal them right back once coach mike hangs it up? probably not. my money is on johnny d.

Don't sleep on Amaker.

GLTBD
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Doug Collins also appeared on PTI yesterday and told a touching story about a great gesture by Chris. Apparently Jerry Colangelo somehow arranged for the coaches involved with the Olympic team to receive gold medals (this is what Doug Collins said - but I thought coaches did not receive Olympic medals, which is why there was that awesome picture of K with the whole Olympic team and all of their medals around his neck). Anyway, Chris was involved with scouting other teams, etc., and so he received a gold medal from Beijing. A couple years ago, Doug was inducted into the hall of fame as a broadcaster and at dinner after the induction, Chris stood up and "through tears" Chris said "Dad, 37 years too late, but here's the gold medal you should have had a long time ago." It obviously was a touching moment for Doug Collins and has it hanging in his office now.

I read this story in SI last week. Very touching.

JamminJoe
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Wojo as coach? That would be great since then we can get a new big man coach.

I keed, I keed...

David
04-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Was actually at a conference in NY last night and K was the speaker at the event. The last question in the Q&A with the audience was whether the next coach would be from the Duke family or an outsider. He was quick in his response to state it will be from someone within the family and that he has spent his career cultivating the family culture.

I am a strong believer in the family culture K has developed at Duke, but I would prefer to see Duke hire the best candidate regardless of whether he is part of the Duke family. All else equal, my personal preference would be for the next coach to come from within the Duke family (e.g., it would be great if Johnny Dawkins turns out to be the best fit), but I would hate for us to limit our search (e.g., it would also be fine by me if Brad Stevens is the best fit). Bottom line - the Duke/K family is not best-served if the top candidate is not hired.

Reilly
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Jay Bilas. Star quality. Knowledgeable. In the family. Wide exposure to other schools of thought via current job.

timmy c
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't sleep on Amaker.

Why? Is he lumpy?

House G
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I think Bucky Waters is available.

Lid
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Jay Bilas. Star quality. Knowledgeable. In the family. Wide exposure to other schools of thought via current job.
Yeah, but we all know he hates Duke.

NovaScotian
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I think Bucky Waters is available.

please forgive men: i forgot to mention the GODFATHER of duke basketball. when are they gonna get around to naming the court after him?

OldPhiKap
04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Mike Brey is part of the family, and wouldn't have the problem of being a former player.

(Which, yes, I think would be an extra burden for JD/Tommy/Jeff/D.Hendu/Wojo/Chris).

superdave
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Actually Gut left the cupboard bare with his crappy recruiting. He set Doherty up to fail and Doh obliged him. Here's Gut's recruits:

Jonathan Holmes
Joe Forte
Will Johnson
Brian Morrison
Adam Boone
Neil Fingleton
Jason Capel
Kris Lang
Ronald Curry

sagegrouse
04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Mike Brey is part of the family, and wouldn't have the problem of being a former player.

(Which, yes, I think would be an extra burden for JD/Tommy/Jeff/D.Hendu/Wojo/Chris).

Does anyone here really think that Duke basketball alums and ex-coaches in the profession would have a "problem" accepting another ACC job if the school/program were competitive and the money was right? I don't see how it would possibly be a problem, although the coaches may play a bit to the fans by describing "conflicting emotions." ("Loyalty" being very big with fans; paychecks being very big with coaches and their families.)

I know K wouldn't like it (he has said so many times, and I believe him), but it ain't his decision.

It seems to me that there are 12 ACC schools, each with its own niche. I have a hard time seeing them going for the same recruits any more so than Duke competing with non-ACC schools, many of whom have ex-Duke coaches and players.

And as to looking down the court at Cameron or elsewhere and seeing K in a suit, why is this a problem? It is just another challenge.

I hate to be unsentimental about this, but that's how I feel.

My main complaint, for example, about knowledgeable announcers is that many of them are so negative -- criticizing the players, teams and coaches. The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable for the players and fans. Fun for the coaches? Nah! That's really a stretch.

sagegrouse

mkline09
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Just like Keiser Soze.

Indoor66
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Just like Keiser Soze.

And Gut convinced the world that he did not exist.

UrinalCake
04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
In sort-of related news, Tommy Amaker reportedly was offered the Miami job and turned it down. One could speculate that he's holding out for the Duke job, or perhaps he feels that if he takes the Miami job and fails, that would eliminate him from consideration for the Duke job. But then again maybe he just doesn't want to coach at Miami.

BD80
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Actually Gut left the cupboard bare with his crappy recruiting. He set Doherty up to fail and Doh obliged him. Here's Gut's recruits:

Jonathan Holmes
Joe Forte
Will Johnson
Brian Morrison
Adam Boone
Neil Fingleton
Jason Capel
Kris Lang
Ronald Curry

Hey! Curry had a long professional career playing ball in the USA!

OldPhiKap
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Does anyone here really think that Duke basketball alums and ex-coaches in the profession would have a "problem" accepting another ACC job if the school/program were competitive and the money was right? I don't see how it would possibly be a problem, although the coaches may play a bit to the fans by describing "conflicting emotions." ("Loyalty" being very big with fans; paychecks being very big with coaches and their families.)

I know K wouldn't like it (he has said so many times, and I believe him), but it ain't his decision.

It seems to me that there are 12 ACC schools, each with its own niche. I have a hard time seeing them going for the same recruits any more so than Duke competing with non-ACC schools, many of whom have ex-Duke coaches and players.

And as to looking down the court at Cameron or elsewhere and seeing K in a suit, why is this a problem? It is just another challenge.

I hate to be unsentimental about this, but that's how I feel.sagegrouse

Agreed. Although we probably both agree that the Miami job might not be a good fit for Tommy. But you are right -- if someone offered Jeff Capel or David Henderson an ACC job, i would not begrudge them for taking it and I would wish them luck in all but 1 to 3 games they had all year (depending on whether they were in our division).

Unless they went to Carolina, though -- I'd really have to ponder that one and then "lead with the heart"