PDA

View Full Version : Whom would you like to see a series with?

Lord Ash
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey all,

Was discussing this with a fellow Dukie today... if you could have a regular series set up with another team in the NCAAs, who would it be? Say a home and home series, three games at each to last six years?

MartyClark
04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey all,

Was discussing this with a fellow Dukie today... if you could have a regular series set up with another team in the NCAAs, who would it be? Say a home and home series, three games at each to last six years?

Kentucky, we don't have to like them to know this would be a great series.

dyedwab
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey all,

This is a great off season question. For me, I want it to be a great program who has an on campus gym for home and home ....and far and away, the series I want is with Kansas..

Duke v Kansas every year in either Cameron or Allen Fieldhouse? How cool would that be?

Lord Ash
04-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Oh, Kansas might be a fun one... getting into Phog?

Newton_14
04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Kansas would be my first choice. Would love to see a running series with them alternating between Phog Allen and Cameron each year. That would be cool. I listed a few others below that would interest me.

Any one or two of these would be interesting each year
1. Florida
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. UCLA
5. Indiana
6. Butler
7. Mich St
8. Memphis
9. Texas
10. Villanova

-bdbd
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey all,

The two that immediately came to my mind were KY and KA. But one consideration might be what series gets us added exposure in new major metro or valuable recruiting areas? With that thought, I'd add to that list: Fla Gators, UCLA (SoCal fallbacks would be USC or SDSU, or maybe northward to Berkeley or UW), Northwestern (or another CHI-area school), TX and maybe Pitt or Rutgers from B.E.

And depending on how recruiting goes over the next year, I wouldn't be shocked to see a coming home-and-home with either or both of GA or UNLV/AZ....

coldriver10
04-09-2011, 09:33 PM
My first choice would be Michigan St. I have a ton of respect for Coach Izzo and think this would be a competitive series year in, year out.

moonpie23
04-09-2011, 09:33 PM
kentucky.....would love to shut big blue nation's mouth year in and year out...

Bob Green
04-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey all,

... if you could have a regular series set up with another team in the NCAAs, who would it be?

The University of Washington!

uh_no
04-09-2011, 09:40 PM
connecticut....that way I would know who to cheer for that year :)

just kidding

I cheer for both every year

Chris Randolph
04-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Division 2 Fort Hays State... That is where I coach

But seriously, have to agree with some posters on here that said Kansas. Great tradition, 2 best places in the country to play a college basketball game

Kedsy
04-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

Blue team.

Jderf
04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Cool thread idea. I gotta echo the people throwing out KU and UK. They're the obvious choices for guaranteed primetime matches.

... and I think this thread is just begging to become a poll, maybe after there's a rough consensus of the 5 or 6 top candidates.

loldevilz
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
IMO

I think Kentucky has to top the list, bust I also think that Florida, Syracuse, and MSU would be fun.

Channing
04-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I also like the thread idea, although it reminds me how disappointed I am that Coach K doesn't seem to believe the team needs to play true road games (GTown and St. J were on NBA courts and not on campus, even if those teams do play a number of games there) out of ACC play. I would love to see Duke play in front of the Kansas, MSU, Ky, etc. student sections, but I have resigned myself to the likelihood that it won't happen anytime soon.

Given that FSU, UM, and GT are both in the ACC, I don't think Coach K will see a need to get any added exposure in Ga and Fl by playing the flagship schools in those states.

Personally, I would love to see a home and home with another one of the blue bloods (Ky and KU being at the top of that list).

Jim3k
04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
For national recruiting relevance, I'd like to see Duke have home and home relationships with Arizona, UCLA, Cal Berkeley and U Dub. These can be varied, but Duke should have a West Coast presence at least twice a year.

[OK, I can be legitimately accused of selfishness...why not? At least I'd get to go to some live, in-season games. As things are now, that's not really possible.]

Arizona may be a bit problematical, since K still remembers the jobbing the team got in Tucson on February 24, 1991. A double OT loss in Tucson as a result of a wrongful call by a -- let us say -- hometown ref, who denied a three-pointer to Greg Koubek. That point would have given us the win in regulation. I was there and I know that Greg was behind the line. That season ended well for us, though. :D

But Lute is long gone and there is a new day. Indeed, revenge is now on my mind...

I'm pretty sure Sean Miller would find it of interest. For bigger money, there are Phoenix and DC venues.

And the other (now) Pac-12 teams would be interested as well, I'm sure. No need to think small (only one opponent) here.

johnb
04-10-2011, 12:38 AM
going into an opposing arena probably doesn't help with the ncaa's as much as going to a bigger venue.

I doubt we'd go to ky or ks because of the lack of likely recruits and large alumni base.

I'd aim for ucla, Stanford, a Chicago school, georgetown, and maintaining st. johns.

throatybeard
04-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I think many/most of us would like to see something at Rupp or Allen, but it ain't happening. It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Let me clarify that.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Let me rephrase that a little.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Next, play, with neutral site games in Jersey or somewhere, against schools most of us are tired of seeing.

Why we don't have space for even one such series still baffles me. I get all the arguments on all sides that have been beaten to death. (Blah blah simulate NCAAT blah). Even then, I still don't understand why we don't have one single slot for something like UNC-UK, which has lasted many years. Or IU-UK. Just one. But Michael Krzyzewski has 900 more wins than I do, and he's got his way he likes to do it, so, meh, I give up, who cares.

So why are we still talking about it? Nothing is going to change.

brevity
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
UNLV? Kidding. (Sort of.)

I agree that Duke should head out West more often. Right now it seems to happen only when Coach K wants to give a West Coast player a hometown game.

I think Washington is a good idea -- more than in most places, I think the Huskies' coach will stay put and keep that program relevant for the suggested 4-6 year period.

Maybe throw a bone to the many Duke alumni clubs in the Pacific and Mountain time zones? Schools in metro locations like Colorado, California, USC, Arizona State? Maybe pick two such teams and have a home game against one and an away game against the other. Then alternate. Two games out West each season may be asking too much -- with various neutral site games built into the schedule, the team already travels enough -- but one per season would be quite manageable.

lilblue
04-10-2011, 01:13 AM
1) Florida-2000
2) Indiana-2002
3) Kansas-2003
4) UConn-2004 (w/help from refs)
5) Michigan State-2005
6) LSU-2006
7) VCU-2007
8) West Virginia-2008
9) Villanova-2009
10) Arizona- 2011

The payback list...the last 10 teams that have knocked us out of the Tourney, and add Syracuse, Kentucky and Michigan.

throatybeard
04-10-2011, 01:17 AM
1) Florida-2000
2) Indiana-2002
3) Kansas-2003
5) Michigan State-2005
6) LSU-2006
7) VCU-2007
8) West Virginia-2008
9) Villanova-2009
10) Arizona- 2011

The payback list...the last 10 teams that have knocked us out of the Tourney, and add Syracuse, Kentucky and Michigan.

That's even more not going to happen than all the not-going-to-happen stuff that has come before in the thread.

lilblue
04-10-2011, 01:32 AM
That's even more not going to happen than all the not-going-to-happen stuff that has come before in the thread.

LOL, I know but one can wish!!! :cool:

lilblue
04-10-2011, 01:35 AM
1) Florida-2000
2) Indiana-2002
3) Kansas-2003
5) Michigan State-2005
6) LSU-2006
7) VCU-2007
8) West Virginia-2008
9) Villanova-2009
10) Arizona- 2011

I have to add a side note to my number 2...(Boozer was hacked on the rebound of the missed free throw):mad:

-bdbd
04-10-2011, 02:01 AM
UNLV? Kidding. (Sort of.)
I agree that Duke should head out West more often. Right now it seems to happen only when Coach K wants to give a West Coast player a hometown game.

I think Washington is a good idea -- more than in most places, I think the Huskies' coach will stay put and keep that program relevant for the suggested 4-6 year period.

Yes, UNLV. A real possibility, as we are among the finalists for SF Shabazz Muhammad, one of the top-5 kids in the HS 2012 class... http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4020486 ...and he is from, yep, Sin City. Since we apparently will sometimes schedule games in a player's hometown/area, e.g. the game in Portland this past season, a game in Vegas is not that far-fetched in the coming few years. BTW, Deandre Daniels, 6'8" target from HS class of 2011, is from the LA area - lending greater crdence to a UCLA or USC or SDSU game or series. .

Also, for those throwing out the Syracuse idea -- ain't gonna happen. K and Jim Boeheim are close buds, K generally avoids a=match-ups against former assistants, players and close coaching friends. Other than that, I'd love to play the Orange - preferably not playing there in Jan-March, as I'd like for the team to be able to leave before the snows melt in May... HA! (used to live near there!)

:rolleyes:

Buckeye Devil
04-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Since I live in Ohio I would love to see Duke with a series against Ohio State. Ohio has some outstanding HS basketball programs that produce quality players, plus the Buckeyes need help in prepping for the NCAAT. Xavier is another solid Ohio program that flies a little under the radar, but as one might recall, the Musketeers really had the 2004 Duke Final 4 team on the ropes as well as the 2007 Ohio State national runner-up team in the NCAAT. X does not have a cavernous arena, however.

Selfishness aside, I also like the idea of a West Coast team or maybe even Texas as the Horn's usually field a type of team that is long, quick, and athletic. Seems to be a problem match-up for Duke from time to time.

Bob Green
04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Due to popular demand, and after gaining concurrence from Lord Ash, I've added a poll to this thread. I voted for Washington.

Son of Mojo
04-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I have to add a side note to my number 2...(Boozer was hacked on the rebound of the missed free throw):mad:

Don't forget the side court inbound travel that the Hoosiers had late, too..........that's still awful to think about.......

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Arizona. Time to put aside the Lute Olson feud. Sean Miller is a quality coach rebuilding a powerful program.

Butler. Let's get to know Brad Stevens better. Maybe he'll be available when Coach K retires.

SFDukie
04-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Arizona. Time to put aside the Lute Olson feud. Sean Miller is a quality coach rebuilding a powerful program.

Butler. Let's get to know Brad Stevens better. Maybe he'll be available when Coach K retires.

Arizona to show that this year was a fluke, and Kentucky so we can get experience during the season against an athletic tournament team.

I'd also like to play Ohio State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

devildeac
04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Due to popular demand, and after gaining concurrence from Lord Ash, I've added a poll to this thread. I voted for Washington.

Hey, how come he gets to vote twice?!

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

Duke: A Dynasty
04-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Uhh why? Just seems like a strange pick to me.

Indoor66
04-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Why? Bob is living in Washington and would get to go to the game and see the Devils. Makes sense to me.

I voted for Florida because Florida has a lot of prospects and greater visibility here would be good for recruiting.

04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Why? Bob is living in Washington and would get to go to the game and see the Devils. Makes sense to me.

I voted for Florida because Florida has a lot of prospects and greater visibility here would be good for recruiting.

Well im glad you knew that because I did not so thank you. Interesting choice for Florida and I like it but I chose Kentucky just because I think those games would be the most exciting.

Bob Green
04-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Exactly! And I'd vote for any West Coast team willing to play the game in Portland's Rose Garden as well. I attended the Oregon game there this past season.

A poster's location is available in the upper right corner of their post (if they've updated their profile with the information). Plus my signature indicates my location.

EDIT: For recruiting purposes, there are a lot of terrific ball players in the Greater Seattle area. Peyton Silva (Louisville), Abdul Gaddy (UW), Tony Wroten (UW) and Joshua Smith (UCLA) are some names that quickly come to mind. Terrence Ross (UW) is from Portland. A series with Washington could pay recruiting dividends as well.

BluDvlsN1
04-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Heartily agree with the obvious one's that have been stated, Kent,Kans,
Mich St might get in the way of the Acc/Big 10 challenge!
Think going west is a good idea, anyone up for Gonzaga?

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Florida would be fun. We already play FSU and Miami, we can lay claim to the whole state in one year. Florida is the only other team (recently) to win back to back. Donovan is an odd character; it would be fun to see what the Crazies do with him.

04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Exactly! And I'd vote for any West Coast team willing to play the game in Portland's Rose Garden as well. I attended the Oregon game there this past season.

A poster's location is available in the upper right corner of their post (if they've updated their profile with the information). Plus my signature indicates my location.

EDIT: For recruiting purposes, there are a lot of terrific ball players in the Greater Seattle area. Peyton Silva (Louisville), Abdul Gaddy (UW), Tony Wroten (UW) and Joshua Smith (UCLA) are some names that quickly come to mind. Terrence Ross (UW) is from Portland. A series with Washington could pay recruiting dividends as well.

LOL I feel stupid... I have never noticed the top right thing before....

DukeDiva
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I voted for Kansas for mostly selfish reasons. Would love to be able to attend another game like I did this past season (CBE).

Memphis Devil
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I would go with other and by that I mean Memphis. There are obvious selfish reasons at play, but Memphis has produced some pretty talented players. Most recently, the list includes Elliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Tarik Black, and Adonis Thomas. We could also develop some inroads into MS as well. While not necessarily known as a basketball hot bed, there have been a number of very talented players to come from the state: Othella Harrington, Jonathan Bender, Erick Dampier, Al Jefferson, and Monta Ellis to name a few.

At the end of the day, though, it would give me a chance to see the Devils in person.

flyingdutchdevil
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I would go with other and by that I mean Memphis. There are obvious selfish reasons at play, but Memphis has produced some pretty talented players. Most recently, the list includes Elliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Tarik Black, and Adonis Thomas. We could also develop some inroads into MS as well. While not necessarily known as a basketball hot bed, there have been a number of very talented players to come from the state: Othella Harrington, Jonathan Bender, Erick Dampier, Al Jefferson, and Monta Ellis to name a few.

At the end of the day, though, it would give me a chance to see the Devils in person.

Like how you didn't mention Leslie McDonald. A true Dukie!!!

But I guess you said 'pretty talented players,' so McDonald need not be in your list!

mikegismynewhero
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
i would love to see a series with kansas because i will be attending said university for the next for years starting this spring and would love a chance to see duke in person! and don't worry i vow to stay loyal to my blue devils.

ice-9
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I ruled out the Big 10 teams because there's a decent chance we'll face them in the Big 10 / ACC Challenge and that's enough for me.

I'm surprised not to see UConn on the poll; if Calhoun coaches for another 5 years that might top my list as UConn has broken my heart way too many times. But if Calhoun is only going to coach another year or two, then forget that.

I want to say Kentucky with Calipari, but let's face it, sooner or later Calimari is going to the NBA and/or Kentucky is going to be hit with NCAA violations and have this year's Final Four vacated. Who wants to beat up on a gimped Kentucky?

That leaves Kansas as the remaining blue blood. The Jayhawks are good year in, year out, and Bill Self has many more years left to coach. Plus, what better way to prove that CIS is superior to Phog than a home-and-home series?

Let's rock the chalk out of the Jayhawks I say.

Nugget
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM

We already play in Florida twice a year.

If Throaty's right and Kansas and Kentucky (which really do make the most sense) are off the board, and we wanted to do a "recruiting" series in a place that has players and we don't get exposed much, I think the best choice would be Texas.

If we wanted to do a "tourney simulation" instead of home and home, we could do what Carolina did -- play them in Dallas (either at the Jerry Dome or the Mavs arena) and Greensboro.

Buckeye Devil
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Stevens seems like a good choice. But being in the Midwest, I am hearing that Illinois would really like to have Stevens, the sooner the better, (i.e. after next season when Weber's contract is up).

davekay1971
04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
NC State and Wake Forest, home and away, every year.

Yes, I know, the intent of the thread was to ask about non-conference series, but the idea that conference expansion has led to the Big Four not playing a home-and-away every year is as galling today as it was the day the ACC expanded...

burnspbesq
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Having attended both of Duke's Sweet Sixteen losses at the Honda Center, I'd like to see them win there someday. How about a home-and-neutral with USC?

dairedevil
04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Why would we want to make the team travel across multiple time zones for a game with a west coast team? There have been weeks in the season with lots of travel up & down the east coast that seem to have taken a toll in energy and performance. The only way I'd want to see it is if the game is played at a holiday when there would be time for jet lag adjustment...and those dates are usually taken up by tournaments...."Gettng" to play UCLA, AZ or other schools could affect the outcome of more than one game.

uh_no
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I would like a Uconn Duke series so I would know which team to cheer for each year!

JK...i cheer for both every year.

But I did have a boatload of fun when uconn and duke played in MSG last year...and duke proved they were alarmingly athletic :)

Sailwaywil
04-14-2011, 12:14 AM
It would be nice to see Duke play a vaulted Big East team. Pittsburgh won the regular season crown and UConn. the National Championship, and Duke lost to St. John's during the regular season. Pittsburgh will continue to be good next year especially with Birch coming in and the last time Duke played Pittsburgh they lost in Overtime.

darjum
04-14-2011, 03:47 AM
As a member of Coach K's staff on Team USA a series between Duke and Jim Boeheim's Syracuse may be fun. Duke rarely sees a team that purely plays zone, which may be a good experience if they come across a zone team (or additionally a dome environment) come tournament time.