PDA

View Full Version : Nike Hoops Summit 4/9....Cook and Rivers on USA team

roywhite
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
One of the best all-star competitions takes place Saturday evening at 7:00 PM Pacific time in the Rose Garden in Portland. The teams play to win, and even play some defense occasionally.

Austin Rivers and Quinn Cook are on the USA team
USA and World rosters (http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/nhs_rosters.htm)

The World Select team has a significant size advantage Athletic 7-footer Lucas Riva Nogueira of Brazil will present a problem.
Here is a news release with details on the World team's players (http://www.primetimepdx.com/press/NHS11_World-Select-Team.pdf)

TV coverage is on Fox Sports Net channel 646 on DirecTV beginning at 10:00 PM Eastern.

Newton_14
04-09-2011, 07:34 PM
One of the best all-star competitions takes place Saturday evening at 7:00 PM Pacific time in the Rose Garden in Portland. The teams play to win, and even play some defense occasionally.

Austin Rivers and Quinn Cook are on the USA team
USA and World rosters (http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/nhs_rosters.htm)

The World Select team has a significant size advantage Athletic 7-footer Lucas Riva Nogueira of Brazil will present a problem.
Here is a news release with details on the World team's players (http://www.primetimepdx.com/press/NHS11_World-Select-Team.pdf)

TV coverage is on Fox Sports Net channel 646 on DirecTV beginning at 10:00 PM Eastern.

Thanks for posting this Roy. Easily the best of the All-Star games to watch imo. The game 2 years ago with John Wall running the point was great. The game is always competitive and like you say they play it like a real game with great competing and strategy on both ends. Not a dunk-fest and showboat-fest in this game.

I look forward to seeing Austin and Quinn in this one.

DukeFanSince1990
04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Anybody got a link to a live stream? I am stuck at work upgrading a server. Looks like I will be here until 1 baby-sitting this thing. :(

Newton_14
04-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Anybody got a link to a live stream? I am stuck at work upgrading a server. Looks like I will be here until 1 baby-sitting this thing. :(

Per a tweet from our guy Airowe, the link below should work for the game

http://ow.ly/4wCSo

DukeFanSince1990
04-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Per a tweet from our guy Airowe, the link below should work for the game

http://ow.ly/4wCSo

Thanks a ton! One more database to go and they are averaging 2.5 hours to upgrade a piece.

1 24 90
04-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I can't believe the sideline reported just asked Austin if he is excited to play with Kyrie next year. Way to keep on top of the latest news Rebecca.

ChrisP
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah, that was a bone-headed question for sure. Before Austin answered, I thought, "Oh, this game must have already happened and this is a replay, surely this reporter can't be that ill-informed". But, of course, this is Fox Sports so...

AlaskanAssassin
04-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I can't believe the sideline reported just asked Austin if he is excited to play with Kyrie next year. Way to keep on top of the latest news Rebecca.

How did he respond?

The link provided above is not working for me :( "Sorry, you are unable to access this content"

Any other?

1 24 90
04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
How did he respond?

The link provided above is not working for me :( "Sorry, you are unable to access this content"

Any other?

He politely informed her that he won't be playing with him because he declared for the draft.

davekay1971
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Both our guys look good. Rivers has sick range and nice finishing moves. Excited to see both of those players in a Duke uniform! Is it November yet?

Greg_Newton
04-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Austin and Quinn looked good, but WOW @ Bismack Biyombo from Congo.

He's 6'8, 240, 4.8% body fat, explosive quick jumper and a 7'7 wingspan (not a typo). He had 9 blocks tonight plus several more he wasn't credited for, and absolutely dominated guys like Davis, Gilchrist and McAdoo in the paint.

He'll probably be a lotto pick this year... really exciting athlete.

OZ
04-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Both our guys look good. Rivers has sick range and nice finishing moves. Excited to see both of those players in a Duke uniform! Is it November yet?

Rivers 20 points and Player of the Game; Quinn 12 points, a couple of slick assists and a great smile. Great to have these guys.

moonpie23
04-10-2011, 01:02 AM

seems like she got pulled by the director.....she was saying that "they've lost two seniors and ....uh...throw it back to you"....

to which austin just smiled and said "thank you".......

Eternal Outlaw
04-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Just got back, fun event to go to. Wife got autographs from both Quinn and Austin and said they both were really nice young men. At the end Austin threw into the crowd his jersey and shoes after signing autographs for a long time. Threw an offer at the kid who got the jersey and may be negotiating with his dad on it if he calls. Would be a sweet souvenir.

yancem
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Anybody know if this will be replayed today or some other time. I was out and forgot to set the dvr.

roywhite
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Hoops Summit Boxscore (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/756350.pdf?ATCLID=205133724&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Both Austin and Quinn shot well, with good 3-point results from a FIBA line that is 22 ft 1 inch+, or more than a foot further than the NCAA line of 20-ft 9-in

ncexnyc
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Caught the 2nd half. Was pleased to see Rivers and Cook play very well. Both have R-A-N-G-E! Pay no attention to UNC fans, Rivers is quick and does play D.

UK has a nice class and if either Knight or Jones stays, I can't see how they won't be preseason #1. Sorry to burst heel expectations on that.

No matter what happens, we'll be very, very solid next year. I know we've got leadership and frontcourt questions, but the potential and talent will be there and nobody does a better job of putting it all together than Coach K.

Double DD
04-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Here are some official measurements on Rivers and Cook from the game as well.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nike-hoop-summit-team-usa-player-evaluations
Player Height (with shoes) Weight Wingspan
Quinn Cook 6'0'' 177.3 6'1''
Austin Rivers 6'4'' 198.6 6'8''

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Love how Rivers is only 10 pounds lighter than Anthony Davis.

Indoor66
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Mis-read original post

Billy Dat
04-12-2011, 03:53 PM
One thing about Rivers, the kid is not shy about pulling the trigger. He is going to be very happy to fill the scoring void left by Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie - in fact, I don't think he'll have one iota of doubt that he is meant to fill that void and will be very unfreshmanlike in his assertiveness. He does not lack for offensive ego.

ChicagoHeel
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
One thing about Rivers, the kid is not shy about pulling the trigger. He is going to be very happy to fill the scoring void left by Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie - in fact, I don't think he'll have one iota of doubt that he is meant to fill that void and will be very unfreshmanlike in his assertiveness. He does not lack for offensive ego.

Is there any concern that he will not share the ball sufficiently or take too many shots to get his points? Those are the common knocks on him from the UNC hopeful, along with a lack of commitment to defense. I have not seen him play and am not judging- just wondering whether it is a legitimate concern or wishful thinking. I suppose scoring efficiency is always a concern with freshman- you know the talented ones can shoot but it is not a given that they will excel at the art of shot selection.

Greg_Newton
04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Is there any concern that he will not share the ball sufficiently or take too many shots to get his points? Those are the common knocks on him from the UNC hopeful, along with a lack of commitment to defense. I have not seen him play and am not judging- just wondering whether it is a legitimate concern or wishful thinking. I suppose scoring efficiency is always a concern with freshman- you know the talented ones can shoot but it is not a given that they will excel at the art of shot selection.

I don't see him being a black hole or ballhog at all, and I think his defense will be very good after a few months of K. The two things I'm worried about with Rivers - not really worried, but will be watchful of - are shot selection and strength.

By shot selection, I don't mean shooting too much, but settling for one shot when he could get a better one. Specifically, I mean his patented move where he squares up his dribble at 25' to break down his defender, and jab steps and pulls up for a shot all in one motion. It's quite a highlight when he makes it, but IMO it's a tougher shot than he needs to make it right now.

My biggest concern is strength, and it's what could make the difference between him being unstoppable vs. 'just' a great shooter who's pretty quick. He can get a step on his defender almost at will, but I think with his current frame he'll get stripped or bumped off of a good look quite often when he gets into the lane. Once he adds enough muscle to take contact and finish, he'll really be something to watch.

Billy Dat
04-12-2011, 05:15 PM

In regards to his defense, he won't see the floor if he doesn't hold his own on that end so if there is any concern, that kind of takes care of itself. No D = No burn.

Watching the Hoops Summit, I did get the impression that he was kind of a ballhog, but I think next year's team will need a little of that. Having read all I can about Duke under K, it always seems like he has to push some kids to take their shots, and the team doesn't reach its potential until those players who are expected to shoot do indeed shoot without hesitation. My impression of Rivers is that he knows he is expected to carry a scoring load and hunts his shot aggressively. He carries himself like he is the best player on the court, which, again, is something I think will serve he and the team well. I think the bigger question is whether or not he needs the ball to be effective or can he play well off the ball. The ideal would be the way that Kemba Walker and Bazz Napier co-existed, Walker was pretty effective whether running the point or playing off the ball. It's probably how Nolan and Kyrie would have evolved had they played more than 11 games together. Rivers/Cook/Dawkins and Thornton are going to have to find that chemistry.

ncexnyc
04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I've read the so-called knocks against Rivers by the heel faithful and believe them to be as valid as those voiced against Prince Harry by fans on this board. They both are garbage put out by fans who are unhappy that the kid didn't go to their school.
I watched Barnes in the 3 All-Star games last year and have watched Rivers in two games so far, in both instances, it's quite obvious that the player in question is/was EXTREMELY talented.

Saratoga2
04-12-2011, 07:02 PM

I noticed that Austin forced some difficult shots when I didn't think he needed to. No doubt about his offensive talent, just about his willingness to look for the best shot or possibly a pass to another open man. I also noticed that Quinn had a bit of the same tendency. Both guys seem to get down a little when their shots don't go in.

These two guys need to work with a large group of players who also have a lot of offensive potential. If Alex and DeAndre come they will join Andre, Seth, Ryan, Michael and Mason who should be getting shots as well. Who knows whether Tyler's game will improve significantly in the off season and whether Miles and Marshall will also be expecting to get shots. How the devil will all 11 guys get PT?

I'm just hopeful they can learn to play together as a team instead of a star with others just standing around.

Duvall
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I've read the so-called knocks against Rivers by the heel faithful and believe them to be as valid as those voiced against Prince Harry by fans on this board. They both are garbage put out by fans who are unhappy that the kid didn't go to their school.

Well, let's be clear - unless the official scorekeepers of the ACC are *also* unhappy that Barnes didn't go to their school, the claim that he takes too many shots to get his points has some objective support (http://carolinaupdate.com/north-carolina-basketball/roster_player_games/harrison-barnes). The kid didn't average almost 14 FG attempts per game in conference play by accident.

SupaDave
04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Well I've seen Austin play a few times and he's a more than capable passer. Actually there were a few times in games where I felt he let his teammates shoot a little too gratuitiously. Austin is not coming b/c he thinks he's gonna jack up a bunch of shots, he's coming b/c he knows he needs to work on his defense and well, the shots will be there.

gumbomoop
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
FYI -

Nike Hoops Summit game to be shown again by FSN/FoxSportsSouth [and presumably other FoxSportsNet regional outlets] this Thurs eve [4/14] at 7 p.m. Channel 646, for those of you who have DirecTV.

You'll be impressed with the UK recruits, and with Rivers and Cook, not to mention a few of the international kids. Also McAdoo for the Heels.

Bob Green
04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Is there any concern that he will not share the ball sufficiently or take too many shots to get his points?

I do not believe this will be a problem and offer up stats from his stints with USA Basketball to back-up my opinion. He shot 63.6% (7-11) including 75% (3-4) on 3s at the Nike Hoops Summit and if you look at his performance on the USA U18 team last summer his numbers are also impressive. Rivers averaged 20.2 points while taking 12 shots per game.

http://www.usabasketball.com/photos/10_mu18_stats.pdf

I watched a couple of Winter Park HS games on TV and Rivers definitely pulled the trigger without hesitation, but 12 shots per game for the USA U18 team wasn't too many. When on the court alongside talented teammates, I've no doubt Rivers will share the ball.

For comparison, as seniors, Nolan Smith averaged 20.6 points on 15.35 shots per game, Kyle Singler averaged 16.9 points on 13.76 shots per game, and freshman Kyrie Irving averaged 17.5 points on 9.45 shots per game (11 games).

Going back to 2010, Jon Scheyer averaged 18.2 points on 13.28 shots per game, Kyle Singler averaged 17.7 points on 13.75 shots per game, and Nolan Smith averaged 17.4 points on 14.26 shots per game.

I believe Rivers will be able to take between 13 and 15 shots per game next season, while simultaneously sharing the ball with his teammates.