PDA

View Full Version : A chance to mock Carolina (from the front page)

Lord Ash
04-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Okay, call me a wuss, but is it wrong to think that that email from the Chi O girl isn't that bad an idea? In an age when photos can last forever (which she clearly understands... check out her sign off of "...social media for life") I thought it was a pretty practical way to address that issue with a bunch of college girls before a party. While I know that the act of inviting a basketball player to a function might be seen by some as seeking the limelight, I thought it wasn't that bad of an email, all things considered.

I did like seeing Jon Henson's tweet about trying to eat a spoonful of cinnamon without throwing up.

MCFinARL
04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Okay, call me a wuss, but is it wrong to think that that email from the Chi O girl isn't that bad an idea? In an age when photos can last forever (which she clearly understands... check out her sign off of "...social media for life") I thought it was a pretty practical way to address that issue with a bunch of college girls before a party. While I know that the act of inviting a basketball player to a function might be seen by some as seeking the limelight, I thought it wasn't that bad of an email, all things considered.

I did like seeing Jon Henson's tweet about trying to eat a spoonful of cinnamon without throwing up.

Well, yes. The tone was rather comical and worth some gentle mockery. But in fact, as a practical matter, having decided to bring "celebrity" dates to this event, the young woman was probably wise to forewarn people and remind them about the risks of being photographed with alcohol. A photo of Susie Sorority and Freddy Frat holding drinks, in violation of law if they are underage, could be a problem but is likely to go unnoticed. But a photo of Susie Sorority and Harrison Barnes or another player could easily go viral, causing embarrassment for the program at least and possibly worse. And my general impression after watching my kids go through their own, fairly recent, sorority years is that most of these kids just don't think about the possible negative consequences of party photos unless they are reminded early and often.

mph
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm with you. Some of the language was unintentionally funny, but the point of the email showed good judgement. I have a hard time mocking the email on the margins because I keep thinking that I'll be proud of my daughter if she shows this level of maturity at age 18-22.

77devil
04-08-2011, 12:22 PM
A Deadspin posting on April 1 referring to a sorority formal on a Thursday night could be a prank.

MCFinARL
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
A Deadspin posting on April 1 referring to a sorority formal on a Thursday night could be a prank.

Well, it could be, I suppose, but not because the formal is on a Thursday night. That is now part of the "weekend" at most colleges. Again, noting my own daughters' experiences (at Duke not at that other school, but I'm guessing the schedules are similar), there were many, many events on Thursdays. It made me wonder about my own college days, when if you had something fun to do both Friday and Saturday, you were doing really well. And, hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

weezie
04-08-2011, 04:31 PM
...noting my own daughters' experiences (at Duke not at that other school...)
...It made me wonder about my own college days, when if you had something fun to do both Friday and Saturday, you were doing really well.

Ahem....I think the salient point of this thread is that we hope DUKE girls would not need a lesson in manners. :rolleyes:
As I'm sure your daughter would agree! :D

sagegrouse
04-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, it could be, I suppose, but not because the formal is on a Thursday night. That is now part of the "weekend" at most colleges. Again, noting my own daughters' experiences (at Duke not at that other school, but I'm guessing the schedules are similar), there were many, many events on Thursdays. It made me wonder about my own college days, when if you had something fun to do both Friday and Saturday, you were doing really well. And, hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

My considered opinion when my daughter was at Duke in the 1990s was that most parties were on Thursday so the weekends could be free for road trips to New York or New Orleans or the occasional jaunt to Paris or London. But may be I was/am cynical.

sagegrouse

dukelilsis
04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Social media makes everything much more permanent than it has ever been before. I'm thankful that Facebook did not exist while I was in my frat party stage. It's good that the ChiO realizes that what is put out there never really goes away. With that said, I got more of a kick out of the nature of the message. How funny that she even calls herself a jersey chaser showing that it's not who is inside the jersey that matters but the actual fact that there is a jersey. Self inflate your ego much? Also, as an alum of a sorority, I find it interesting that she needs to remind the girls not to take pics with alcohol at a sorority function. That was a set rule in my organization no questions asked. (Note the emphasis on "sorority function" as the rule did not apply to the frat house keggers.) Of course, I may be a bit judgmental on this since ChiO was a major rival of ours in college. I guess old habits die hard.

MCFinARL
04-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Ahem....I think the salient point of this thread is that we hope DUKE girls would not need a lesson in manners. :rolleyes:
As I'm sure your daughter would agree! :D

Well, of course!! At the very least, they knew enough to keep their cool around campus "celebrities." ;-)

MCFinARL
04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
My considered opinion when my daughter was at Duke in the 1990s was that most parties were on Thursday so the weekends could be free for road trips to New York or New Orleans or the occasional jaunt to Paris or London. But may be I was/am cynical.

sagegrouse

Don't think things had changed much in the oughts.
Just because you are cynical doesn't mean you're wrong. ;)