PDA

View Full Version : UNC players play pickup with ugrads

dukelifer
04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Interesting to see these guys playing ball outside with the ugrads. Making is harder and harder to hate these guys.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/multimedia/6142

Poincaré
04-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Interesting to see these guys playing ball outside with the ugrads. Making is harder and harder to hate these guys.

If by "harder" you mean maybe slightly more difficult than it is for an alcoholic to uncork a bottle of vino, then you are correct. They are Tar Holes. No other excuse needed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the point of making positive posts about Tar Holes? The Tar Holes themselves will do enough of that for you. Therefore you are creating excess supply of positive posts about Tar Holes. I am sure you are a loyal Duke fan and all, but it seems that you need a transfusion of healthy hate, brother. I worry that you might have been kidnapped by Tar Holes in the past and are now manifesting signs of Stockholm Syndrome. Testify your hate! Let it wash over you and cleanse you of your ills.

;-)

uh_no
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM

2 years ago, I played with scheyer and nolan in wilson....they rained threes

SupaDave
04-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Yep - it's not at all uncommon for basketball players to be found playing basketball. This should have no bearing whatsoever on your disdain for the boys in baby blue...

slower
04-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the point of making positive posts about Tar Holes? The Tar Holes themselves will do enough of that for you.

That's what folks like Kong123 are for. Yes, please don't encourage the trolls and waste our valuable reading time with Tarhole drivel. :)

Duvall
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Yep - it's not at all uncommon for basketball players to be found playing basketball.

True. But only certain Dudes make sure the press is on hand to watch and record. Gotta build that brand.

pfrduke
04-05-2011, 06:47 PM

I had similar experiences back in my day, only with Williams (Jason) and Redick. Jason basically goofed around (if you can call casually draining 30 footers goofing around); J.J. yelled at me for not cutting to where I should have been cutting on one of his drives.

I also had the unfortunate task of guarding Patrick Johnson in IM games before he walked onto the team. Given our height differences, I always considered it a success when he didn't dunk on me.

dukelifer
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
If by "harder" you mean maybe slightly more difficult than it is for an alcoholic to uncork a bottle of vino, then you are correct. They are Tar Holes. No other excuse needed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the point of making positive posts about Tar Holes? The Tar Holes themselves will do enough of that for you. Therefore you are creating excess supply of positive posts about Tar Holes. I am sure you are a loyal Duke fan and all, but it seems that you need a transfusion of healthy hate, brother. I worry that you might have been kidnapped by Tar Holes in the past and are now manifesting signs of Stockholm Syndrome. Testify your hate! Let it wash over you and cleanse you of your ills.

;-)

You are of course correct. I did show the heels in a good light. It was so much easier in the old days before twitter and youtube to imagine these guys isolated from the rest of campus reading their press clippings. I suppose one could argue they did this all for a future shoe contract or to demonstrate their likability for the NBA scouts. There - it is clear their motives were selfish.

Poincaré
04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
You are of course correct. I did show the heels in a good light. It was so much easier in the old days before twitter and youtube to imagine these guys isolated from the rest of campus reading their press clippings. I suppose one could argue they did this all for a future shoe contract or to demonstrate their likability for the NBA scouts. There - it is clear their motives were selfish.

Since we are having fun here... :-)

Frankly, I would have said the same thing if this video was about Reggie Bullock and Harrison Barnes rescuing one-armed war orphan girls from sexual slavery. My point was that their positive qualities don't make it any harder for me to hate them. Perhaps I've been in Coach K's Clockwork Orange-style fan programming chamber... Who knows. Tar Holes will do enough to promote their own guys. It's just more efficient for society if you let them do it. I sensed a bit of conflict in your tone, which I interpreted as meaning that you felt some pain from pointing out that Tar Holes might be nice. I want to spare you that pain. It's easy. Let the Tar Holes do it. They don't feel any pain or experience conflicting emotions when they post nice things about Tar Holes.

dukelifer
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Since we are having fun here... :-)

Frankly, I would have said the same thing if this video was about Reggie Bullock and Harrison Barnes rescuing one-armed war orphan girls from sexual slavery. My point was that their positive qualities don't make it any harder for me to hate them. Perhaps I've been in Coach K's Clockwork Orange-style fan programming chamber... Who knows. Tar Holes will do enough to promote their own guys. It's just more efficient for society if you let them do it. I sensed a bit of conflict in your tone, which I interpreted as meaning that you felt some pain from pointing out that Tar Holes might be nice. I want to spare you that pain. It's easy. Let the Tar Holes do it. They don't feel any pain or experience conflicting emotions when they post nice things about Tar Holes.

Lesson learned.

COYS
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I had similar experiences back in my day, only with Williams (Jason) and Redick. Jason basically goofed around (if you can call casually draining 30 footers goofing around); J.J. yelled at me for not cutting to where I should have been cutting on one of his drives.

I also had the unfortunate task of guarding Patrick Johnson in IM games before he walked onto the team. Given our height differences, I always considered it a success when he didn't dunk on me.

I was also lucky enough to shoot around with Boozer and Williams during the summer. Even playing at 1/4 of his fastest speed, Williams could break my ankles with his crossover.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I understand what dukelifer is trying to say. Next year's group of UNCers are, IMO, going to be split between highly likeable and highly detested.

In the highly likeable category:
Kendall Marshall - love his game. Maybe the most unselfish player in D1
Tyler Zeller - nice post game. Doesn't get the ball enough and doesn't complain
James McAdoo - I already like him. Just seems like a great kid

In the high detested category:
HB - no explanation necessary
John Henson - "stringbean" has emotional issues
Reggie Bullock - rat face comment. And his ego is ridiculous in comparison to his talent level
Strickland - something about him gets to me. Don't know what, but something just does

FireDevil
04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Growing up in Durham back in the 80's it was not uncommon to play pickup games with Duke Players at Card Gym and at the Anderson St. courts. No one ever checked IDs or asked if we were students. I'm sure today it's a little harder to do that. Also unlike in the video made at unc there was never a crowd watching us play. :)

kong123
04-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Reggie Bullock - rat face comment. And his ego is ridiculous in comparison to his talent level

Henson has emotional issues? Please explain. I doubt you have any real examples. You probably relate his trash talking to emotional issues, which is a poor description. Lindsey Lohan has emotional issues. Chris Brown has emotional issues.

As far as Bullock is concerned, I understand that the Rat Face comment being a big deal to you guys, but what ego are you talking about? Again, I think you are taking a couple comments from a video and assuming the rest. The comments were wrong and I believe he apologized, as he should have. I do not believe he put any forethought into the comments. I believe he was just trying to be funny. Depending on what school you pull for, the comments were funny. Doesn't make them appropriate though.

-bdbd
04-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I understand what dukelifer is trying to say. Next year's group of UNCers are, IMO, going to be split between highly likeable and highly detested.

In the highly likeable category:
Kendall Marshall - love his game. Maybe the most unselfish player in D1
Tyler Zeller - nice post game. Doesn't get the ball enough and doesn't complain
James McAdoo - I already like him. Just seems like a great kid

In the high detested category:
HB - no explanation necessary
Strickland - something about him gets to me. Don't know what, but something just does

That is an oxymoron. You used the phrase "Next year's group of UNCers" in the same sentence/context with "HB and Tyler Zeller."

And despite Kong's muddled perspective, in no normal universe is a player calling their rival's hall of fame HC obnoxious names about physical appearance the least bit "funny." It is petty and small-minded, full stop. I can't imagine Duke players doing that to, say, Williams. But then again, this is the same program which frequently has competed-for recruits parroting back anti-Duke/K one-liners that they obviously heard 7 miles down the road. So, what else would you expect??

Lord Ash
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Henson has emotional issues? Please explain. I doubt you have any real examples. You probably relate his trash talking to emotional issues, which is a poor description. Lindsey Lohan has emotional issues. Chris Brown has emotional issues.

As far as Bullock is concerned, I understand that the Rat Face comment being a big deal to you guys, but what ego are you talking about? Again, I think you are taking a couple comments from a video and assuming the rest. The comments were wrong and I believe he apologized, as he should have. I do not believe he put any forethought into the comments. I believe he was just trying to be funny. Depending on what school you pull for, the comments were funny. Doesn't make them appropriate though.

I have to admit, I don't particularly like Jon Henson. Between his pouty twitter posts on a wide range of subjects to his in-game trash talk to his weepy reactions to adversity, I have found him to be immature and a touch obnoxious. I am perfectly happy with a description of "emotional issues" being used for him, because he doesn't seem to have very good control over his emotions or how he displays them. Oh, and that faux-hawk that he rocked just seemed to magnify my dislike of him.

As for Reggie, yeah... can't imagine most athletes saying that... Barnes immediately jumped in and basically cut Reggie off, knowing that the comment was WAY out of bounds. I would have known that when I was that age, as would most other folks. Listening to Reggie spout in a disrespectful, ignorant manner similar to the VERY very worst of ignorant Inside Carolina posters will pretty much ensure that he is disliked by Duke fans.

kong123
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
to his in-game trash talk to his weepy reactions to adversity, I have found him to be immature and a touch obnoxious. I am perfectly happy with a description of "emotional issues" being used for him, because he doesn't seem to have very good control over his emotions or how he displays them. Oh, and that faux-hawk that he rocked just seemed to magnify my dislike of him.

well, he certainly has never placed his foot on the middle of another players chest and tried to push him to the ground to prove a point. is that acceptable? has Henson done anything close to that? I would consider that much worse that a bit of trash talk and what a teenage may put on his twitter page. gotta do better than that Lord Ash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwYVTB2rZw

Scorp4me
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Rarely is it the players. Obviously sometimes there is and obviously people have their issues with Barnes and Bullock. Most grow tired of Henson's pouting. And Marshall for all his talent has a very cocky look he likes to give...although I think Nolan wiped it off his face during the ACC fianls. But the point is the players except for choosing Carolina are usually ok. The players usually get along. The recent video of the recruits from the McDonalds game showed a bunch of guys having fun and appreciating not only joining their schools but joining the rivalry.

But never ever make the same mistakes about the fans. There are good ones to be sure. But the far majority feel they should always win, never lose, and have the worst selective memory I've ever seen leading to always proclaim whatever they are thinking whenever they feel like it. Usually after a Carolina win or Duke loss cause they can't remember the last Carolina loss or Duke win.

Lord Ash
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
well, he certainly has never placed his foot on the middle of another players chest and tried to push him to the ground to prove a point. is that acceptable? has Henson done anything close to that? I would consider that much worse that a bit of trash talk and what a teenage may put on his twitter page. gotta do better than that Lord Ash.

Wow... construct a straw man often?

I don't have to do any better than that, actually... Henson seems to be terribly immature and, like many immature people, seems to have a problem controlling his emotions. He has displayed this quite often in his two years in the public eye. Most folks here, I would wager, agree. If you don't see it, that is your issue, not mine.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Emotional issues = on-court emotional issues. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. Andre Dawkins does this as well, but Henson takes it to a new level. Have you seen when Henson gets called for a foul? He has a face like someone took his favorite stuffed toy away from him. This happend twice in Cameron this year. Also, remember Henson's dunk on Miles Plumlee last year when you were down 30+ points? He acted as if that dunk actually meant something to the game! Btw - I think that's evidence.

That video with the 3 UNCers and Kyrie showed how cocky Bullock was. Marshall was quiet and honest, HB was trying to control the situation, and Bullock was blabbing his mouth off like he just hit a 3 pointer to win an NBA title. That showed that his ego is enormous for someone who has done nothing thus far.

You're a UNC faithful. Of course you're going to support your players. As much as UNC hated a few of our players in the past, I feel the same towards most of your players. But, surprisingly, UNC said a lot of positive things about Nolan and Kyrie. I do the same for Marshall and McAdoo. It's what makes the rivarly more powerful: hate the team, respect the personnel (or at least most of the personnel :)).

kong123
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Emotional issues = on-court emotional issues. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. Andre Dawkins does this as well, but Henson takes it to a new level. Have you seen when Henson gets called for a foul? He has a face like someone took his favorite stuffed toy away from him.

look, if you are going to equate a facial expression after a called foul to having emotional issues, wonder how many on this board are guilty? I know I have shown my butt in my own home much worse than most collegiate basketball players ever had. I just think saying this about Henson and not attaching the same stigma to other players is a weak argument. Has JJ ever complained about a call? What about your coaching staff? There may not be a more animated assistant coach than Chris Collins. Reading the coaching staffs lips during a game would horrify most old women. I don't care about those things, but UNC fans will point to that when describing why they hate Duke. Would you agree with them? Would you stand up for your team? I just think its unfair to say someone has "emotional issues". I think it is uninformed and irresponsible. This is the DBR, not TDD.

Lord Ash
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
seriously, other than getting a T for talking trash after dunking on a Plumlee at Cameron a few years ago, what could be your example? GIVE AN EXAMPLE. Saying that others here would agree with you isn't much of a statement. I believe you are simply making a blanket statement concerning a young man you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of.

Hm, are you angry because I've given you negative pitchfork comments before? Because other than that, I cannot think of a reason you'd be so personal at the end. It is unbecoming, to be frank.

But because you asked so nicely and apparently don't keep up on your own players, here:

* The "just made them relevant" tweet showed immaturity.
* The mocking of the Wear twins during what was clearly a difficult time showed immaturity.
* The "Tracy Smith and I laughed at the young guys who were actually trying" comments showed immaturity.
* The trash talk shows immaturity.
* The Larry Drew comments showed immaturity.
* The constant pouting shows immaturity.
* The tweeting after being told to not tweet by his coach, and the tone it took, showed immaturity.

and finally...

* The fauxhawk showed immaturity, and a real lack of taste.

There you go. There are some quick examples of why I think Jon Henson is immature and has emotional issues.

Cell-R
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
seriously, other than getting a T for talking trash after dunking on a Plumlee at Cameron a few years ago, what could be your example? GIVE AN EXAMPLE. Saying that others here would agree with you isn't much of a statement. I believe you are simply making a blanket statement concerning a young man you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of. Do you have all your pitchforks because you are such a homer or because you are actually full of useful information?

Example 1: Pouty face - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotsey/5433751977/

Couldn't find any good pictures of him crying, but I've seen it before.

Emotional young man...

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
look, if you are going to equate a facial expression after a called foul to having emotional issues, wonder how many on this board are guilty? I know I have shown my butt in my own home much worse than most collegiate basketball players ever had. I just think saying this about Henson and not attaching the same stigma to other players is a weak argument. Has JJ ever complained about a call? What about your coaching staff? There may not be a more animated assistant coach than Chris Collins. Reading their lips during a game would horrify most old women. I don't care about those things, but UNC fans will point to that when describing why they hate Duke. I just think its unfair to say someone has "emotional issues". I think it is uninformed and irresponsible. This is the DBR, not TDD.

No one is saying that Henson needs a shrink. Hell. Have you heard the expression 'he wears his emotions on his sleeve'? Henson takes that to the max. Lord Ash and myself have provided a lot of reasons - the dunk on Miles, the ridiculous fauxhawk, the countless 'I'm about to cry' expressions. I don't know Henson personally, but to me, it looks like he has on-the-court emotional issues. If he learned to control that, then he would certainly be more likeable.

And for our guys, our players actually do a great job of not a) complaining to refs, b) showing disgust / any other ridiculous facial expression. We let the coaching staff take care of that. And, as your fanbase has stated many times, that is probably a large part of the reason why you'all hate us.

kong123
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Hm, are you angry because I've given you negative pitchfork comments before? Because other than that, I cannot think of a reason you'd be so personal at the end. It is unbecoming, to be frank.

But because you asked so nicely and apparently don't keep up on your own players, here:

* The "just made them relevant" tweet showed immaturity.
* The mocking of the Wear twins during what was clearly a difficult time showed immaturity.
* The "Tracy Smith and I laughed at the young guys who were actually trying" comments showed immaturity.
* The trash talk shows immaturity.
* The Larry Drew comments showed immaturity.
* The constant pouting shows immaturity.
* The tweeting after being told to not tweet by his coach, and the tone it took, showed immaturity.

and finally...

* The fauxhawk showed immaturity, and a real lack of taste.

There you go. There are some quick examples of why I think Jon Henson is immature and has emotional issues.

ok, ok, your great examples of tweeting make it all come together for me. he was 18 to 19 years old when he said and did some of these things. i am just really surprised that someone who is respected around here is such a homer. IMHO, most of the respected guys around here are also the most fair minded. They can separate their intense feelings of rivalry from judging a teenager based on a few limited bits of information. My disappointment in you may not mean a thing to you, but I imagine others who will read this will quietly change their opinion of you.

Cell-R
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
ok, ok, your great examples of tweeting make it all come together for me. he was 18 to 19 years old when he said and did some of these things. i am just really surprised that someone who is respected around here is such a homer. IMHO, most of the respected guys around here are also the most fair minded. They can separate their intense feelings of rivalry from judging a teenager based on a few limited bits of information. My disappointment in you may not mean a thing to you, but I imagine others who will read this will quietly change their opinion of you.

Kong, I don't understand why you are transitioning from an argument about the personality of a UNC player to personal slights of one of the most respected members on this board. Apparently he really upset you by proving you wrong. I can vouch that my opinion of Lord Ash will quietly be changing - for the better.

superdave
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
More of the Unc guys hanging out with undergrads: Linky (http://deadspin.com/#!5787963/self-proclaimed-jersey+chasers-bring-unc-hoopsters-to-sorority-formal-warn-sisters-first)
No reports of any pickup games though. This one is more social.

kong123
04-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Christian Laettner is a horrible person.

here are my examples.

Laettner loses 6 million dollar lawsuit http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/shawne-merriman-wins-lawsuit-against-christian-laettner/
Laettner kicks Kentucky player while on ground http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwYVTB2rZw
Laettner suspended from NBA for violating NBA drug policy http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1707573

these are real examples of someone making mistakes in life. I do not believe he is a bad person. I did not like him while he played at Duke, but disliking him as a rival player does not dictate or require me to judge him in an unfair way. in your mind, your examples maybe good enough, but in reality your examples are weak and misguided attempt at belittling a teenager. Who is the immature person here?

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 12:28 PM

here are my examples.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/shawne-merriman-wins-lawsuit-against-christian-laettner/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1707573

these are real examples of someone making mistakes in life. your examples are weak and meaningless.

Is this the real Kong? What happened to the sensible poster who provided rational arguments? Now you just sound like someone from IC

kong123
04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Is this the real Kong? What happened to the sensible poster who provided rational arguments? Now you just sound like someone from IC

hey, whats the difference here? look at his statements concerning Henson and then look at my example of Laettner. Like I said, I just put that together to prove a point, not because I believe Laettner to be a "horrible person"

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
hey, whats the difference here? look at his statements concerning Henson and then look at my example of Laettner. Like I said, I just put that together to prove a point, not because I believe Laettner to be a "horrible person"

The difference is I'm not getting pissy over this. Clearly you have a man-crush on Henson. That's fine. I'd probably go down this petty route for Nolan (yes, my man-crush).

I don't see how you can ignore the evidence brought against Henson in this thread. Tweets, emotional outburst after meanless dunks, ridiculous facial expressions, more ridiculous haircuts - the evidence is there. And you're rebuttal is that he's 18-19? Guess what? Henson turned 20 in late December. He clearly matured in 3 months...

Jderf
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM

I see what you're saying kong, and I agree that, in general, a high proportion of people on this board are far too quick to judge people they do not know. But I never took Ash to be claiming that Henson was a bad person, only that he doesn't carry himself well on the court or in public. If that is indeed what he was saying, then his examples were perfectly relevant, no?

(Personally, for a tar heel, I don't mind Henson at all. He trash talks sometimes, but who doesn't?)

uh_no
04-06-2011, 12:42 PM

here are my examples.

Laettner loses 6 million dollar lawsuit http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/shawne-merriman-wins-lawsuit-against-christian-laettner/
Laettner kicks Kentucky player while on ground http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwYVTB2rZw
Laettner suspended from NBA for violating NBA drug policy http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1707573

these are real examples of someone making mistakes in life. I do not believe he is a bad person. I did not like him while he played at Duke, but disliking him as a rival player does not dictate or require me to judge him in an unfair way. in your mind, your examples maybe good enough, but in reality your examples are weak and misguided attempt at belittling a teenager. Who is the immature person here?

I agree, kong.

kong123
04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The difference is I'm not getting pissy over this. Clearly you have a man-crush on Henson. That's fine. I'd probably go down this petty route for Nolan (yes, my man-crush).

I don't see how you can ignore the evidence brought against Henson in this thread. Tweets, emotional outburst after meanless dunks, ridiculous facial expressions, more ridiculous haircuts - the evidence is there. And you're rebuttal is that he's 18-19? Guess what? Henson turned 20 in late December. He clearly matured in 3 months...

my problem is, saying a kid has "emotional issues" is not a nice thing to say about a kid. saying this because he makes facial expressions and got a T one time for talking smack isn't good enough. If I had said the same thing about Mason for his reaction after fouling out in Chapel Hill, how would you respond. The way he carried on over on the bench by cussing and screaming is much worse than anything Henson has ever done. Many on this board commented after the game that they were glad Mason had finally showed some emotion. So which is it? Is it OK for your kid to show emotion and not for ours? I could comment on Singlars haircuts throughout his career, but I didn't. I consider myself above that kind of petty stuff. I get tired of hearing about how bad the IC is and then read stuff here written by well-respected posters that would fit in perfectly with the filth you relate to the IC board. If you are truly better than the IC, then act like it. Don't just allow it when it is in favor of Duke. I will get a warning for all of this, you guys will skate by. Its the way that it is, but I cannot and will not let you guys get away with it. Even if the mods agree with you, they need to check Duke posters who make stupid comments.

kong123
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I see what you're saying kong, and I agree that, in general, a high proportion of people on this board are far too quick to judge people they do not know. But I never took Ash to be claiming that Henson was a bad person, only that he doesn't carry himself well on the court or in public. If that is indeed what he was saying, then his examples were perfectly relevant, no?

(Personally, for a tar heel, I don't mind Henson at all. He trash talks sometimes, but who doesn't?)

he didn't simply say that he has behavior issues on the court, he said that he has "emotional issues" and he points to his haircut, his twitter posts, and his facial expressions as examples. it is a personal attack on his character and that isn't fair. he doesn't know the kid and Ash is far from capable of making an objective observation.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
my problem is, saying a kid has "emotional issues" is not a nice thing to say about a kid. saying this because he makes facial expressions and got a T one time for talking smack isn't good enough. If I had said the same thing about Mason for his reaction after fouling out in Chapel Hill, how would you respond. The way he carried on over on the bench by cussing and screaming is much worse than anything Henson has ever done. Many on this board commented after the game that they were glad Mason had finally showed some emotion. So which is it? Is it OK for your kid to show emotion and not for ours? I could comment on Singlars haircuts throughout his career, but I didn't. I consider myself above that kind of petty stuff. I get tired of hearing about how bad the IC is and then read stuff here written by well-respected posters that would fit in perfectly with the filth you relate to the IC board. If you are truly better than the IC, then act like it. Don't just allow it when it is in favor of Duke. I will get a warning for all of this, you guys will skate by. Its the way that it is, but I cannot and will not let you guys get away with it. Even if the mods agree with you, they need to check Duke posters who make stupid comments.

If you're upset by the "emotional issues" comment, then I apologize. I do not view this statement as a belittling a player. And, as I clarified earlier, it's primarily on-court emotional issues. Andre Dawkins has them. I don't think that this is a sign of disrespect towards a player but rather a critique. It's something that is clearly fixable and will allow the player to mature. If you don't like my choice of words, then there is nothing that I can do. We'll merely agree to disagree.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
it is a personal attack on his character and that isn't fair. he doesn't know the kid and Ash is far from capable of making an objective observation.

Now this is something that I disagree with. I view Lord Ash as one of the few posters to have more objective views, especially when it comes to Duke and its players. This is a Duke board - we will always have tinted blue glasses on - but Lord Ash is better than most at increasing the glasses' visibility.

PADukeMom
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I thought I was having a really bad day. Is it only me but doesn't it seem that whenever someone who is loyal to another team & loses their point has to bring up Laettner who hasn't played for Duke in almost 20 years?

kong123
04-06-2011, 01:27 PM
its done, one person agreed with me and that is more than I could have expected.

slower
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I have shown my butt in my own home much worse than most collegiate basketball players ever had...

You do it here every day. :)

epoulsen
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
That is an oxymoron. You used the phrase "Next year's group of UNCers" in the same sentence/context with "HB and Tyler Zeller."

And despite Kong's muddled perspective, in no normal universe is a player calling their rival's hall of fame HC obnoxious names about physical appearance the least bit "funny." It is petty and small-minded, full stop. I can't imagine Duke players doing that to, say, Williams. But then again, this is the same program which frequently has competed-for recruits parroting back anti-Duke/K one-liners that they obviously heard 7 miles down the road. So, what else would you expect??

In all fairness I called Matt Doherty Sam Eagle at least once, if not hundreds of times, as did many fellow Duke fans and it was pretty funny. Lets face it, judging other people by their physical qualities is, as Sam Eagle would say, "the American way". :p

Cell-R
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM

here are my examples.

I must have missed it, but I didn't notice anyone going to great lengths to defend Laettner in this conversation. In fact, I'm still not sure I understand how his actions 20 years ago relate to John Henson, the current topic of discussion. Sure, Laettner was definitely an emotional guy. So is John Henson.

Lord Ash
04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I think because no one really understands how a discussion of Christian relates to a discussion of Jon Henson.

And I do have to say, I pride myself on being pretty evenhanded regarding the Duke/Carolina rivalry, despite Kong's attempt to stir the pot.

While I "enjoy" the rivalry and hate to see Carolina win, I am one of those people who believes there isn't much separating the two sides other than a few miles of road and the shade of the blue they wear. The players are often friendly and both sides often share the recruiting pool. Both programs are generally clean and play fair and have their respect HOF coaches and players. I adore Tyler Hans and think he epitomizes a lot of what Duke fans love (toughness, dedication to his school... although the D isn't quite at K levels). Antawn is tied for my favorite non-Duke player ever (with Juan D.) and I have to admit, I have a HUGE soft spot for 'Sheed, who I think is woefully misunderstood and is a character with, ultimately, a good heart. Just this year I've defended Kendall when others were saying he was slow and this and that, and would never amount to anything, and Barnes, who I think many of us would STILL kill to have as a Dukie, the mistake of not calling K personally about his decision aside.

On a personal note, I was recruited by Carolina and visited Carolina and met with Carolina coaches, although I ended up not applying (by that time I knew it was going to be Duke.) I have always been proud of the fact that I don't blindly hate the Heels, I don't call them "Holes," on other Duke forums that many here frequent I've actually called out irrational haters (thankfully not needed at DBR) and I generally keep the rivalry in perspective (especially as a non-North Carolinian). Now, I must admit that the absolute venom that I sometimes read on Inside Carolina can drive me to distraction and the occasional "stupid x$@& Holes" post, but IC has sent better men than me to the land of the banned;) Anyway, I hope most folks here have seen this over the 11 or so years I've posted here, and that all of this typing is for nothing, and I certainly hope that no one has ever given me Pitchfork Points (TM) because I was being a homer;)

kong123
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I apologize for getting so worked up. I am also sorry for going after Lord Ash. I felt I needed to protect me team from what I felt was an unfair characterization.

Please forgive me.

slower
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I apologize for getting so worked up. I am also sorry for going after Lord Ash. I felt I needed to protect me team from what I felt was an unfair characterization.

Please forgive me.

This is at least the second thread that I've seen today where you're apologizing. Why don't you just quit doing what you're doing? Your online pleas for forgiveness are getting tiresome.

DevilWearsPrada
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM

PJ should have dunked on you!! Was Pat 6'11" or 7 foot? Doesn't seem like it has been several years since JWill and JJ played at Duke. Time goes by so quickly.

You guys post your YourTube of pickup games! I thought most colleges do that! Not just the Tarholes. It was good to see alot of students participating. Good to engage the team players with the general student population.

I know you guys had fun.

epoulsen
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM

here are my examples.

Perhaps we should compare Laettner with MJ rather than Henson, it's a little more fair given the age difference and eras. Now I don't have YouTube clips to back this up, however you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who thinks MJ is a decent person. I mean, I think the only decent thing the man did outside of basketball was Space Jam and even then I'd credit that more to his supporting cast than to him. In all seriousness though, this is a Duke board. I'm not saying that your comments aren't welcome because they are and I sometimes even enjoy them. What I am saying is that this may not be the best place to argue over someone's justifications for disliking a Carolina player.

DevilWearsPrada
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Why is there so much banter about Christian? He played in the late 80s, early 90s. And is currently looking for an asst coaching job? Did he land one, yet?

This thread is about the UNC players playing pickup with the undergrads at Chapel Hill. John Henson, was either a small baby, or non existent when Christian played at Duke. And John's sister will be playing at Duke!

The video of the Unc players was good. All colleges do that to some extreme, so nothing new there. Everyone was having fun. That's what College kids do! Have fun.

I would rather see a youtube of Nolan and Kyle and Team playing with the Duke students. So someone, post it! And then send it to THE CHRONICLE.

-jk
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I think this one's done.

-jk