PDA

View Full Version : one shining moment 2011

hsheffield
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
please forgive me ahead of time for whining....

did anyone else notice that most of the shots of Duke in the 2011 OSM involved our getting dunked on or falling or otherwise being punked?

last year's OSM, even after we WON the NC, showed Duke less than usual for a NC and a lot more of Butler (though with all the cut ins of Jennifer Hudson, perhaps there wasn't time for us?)

I'm glad they're back to using Luther, but I'm not buying that Duke is the media's darling!

J4Kop99
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the phrase, "one shining moment" may be the perfect way to sum up last nights game.

uh_no
04-05-2011, 12:40 PM

did anyone else notice that most of the shots of Duke in the 2011 OSM involved our getting dunked on or falling or otherwise being punked?

To be fair, that did comprise a large proportion of the plays of the game....

PADukeMom
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
ACK....even when it was our Shinning Moment we weren't featured in a shinning moment. It's CBS so consider the source.
You aren't alone.

MulletMan
04-05-2011, 12:55 PM
The epitome of what Duke should be, Kyle Singler chasing down a break, giving up his body and knocking the ball out of bounds without fouling, was featured prominently.

Just sayin'...

uh_no
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
The epitome of what Duke should be, Kyle Singler chasing down a break, giving up his body and knocking the ball out of bounds without fouling, was featured prominently.

Just sayin'...

that was, and still is, a phenomenal play. Epitome of Kyle Singler, Epitome of Duke. Hope we have a new kyle singler in the future.

pfrduke
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM

last year's OSM, even after we WON the NC, showed Duke less than usual for a NC and a lot more of Butler (though with all the cut ins of Jennifer Hudson, perhaps there wasn't time for us?)

I'm glad they're back to using Luther, but I'm not buying that Duke is the media's darling!

This is beyond silly. First of all, there's no real reason for them to show Duke at all in this year's OSM - it's not like we had a lot of highlights, particularly when considered in light of the tournament as a whole. Yet they included the Singler dive to knock the ball away from Williams on the break (who'd have thought that would be a turning point in the other direction), which was not at all us being punked. Then they included two Arizona dunks, including one by Derrick Williams. By any objective measure, his game against us was one of the best single performances of the tournament, so no surprise highlights from it get shown.

People seriously need to grow a thicker skin about this. Looking at this year's OSM and having a reaction of "oh my gosh, they slighted Duke!" is really ridiculously self-absorbed. And despite what some of us may think, the production guys who make the video almost certainly don't sit around all day thinking "hmm, how can we structure this to show Duke in as poor a light as possible" (which, in any event, they didn't).

JRH1010
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Just sayin'...

That was pretty and one of the things I will remember about the tournament.

uh_no
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
And despite what some of us may think, the production guys who make the video almost certainly don't sit around all day thinking "hmm, how can we structure this to show Duke in as poor a light as possible" (which, in any event, they didn't).

You seem to fail to understand that everybody in the media is out to get Duke...including our very own jay bilas. remember, duke never made it into espn's opening montage....its a giant conspiracy

pfrduke
04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
You seem to fail to understand that everybody in the media is out to get Duke...including our very own jay bilas. remember, duke never made it into espn's opening montage....its a giant conspiracy

I know you're being sarcastic, but this is an honestly held belief by several of our fans. Our persecution complex is really distasteful, and I wish it would just go away.

uh_no
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
I know you're being sarcastic, but this is an honestly held belief by several of our fans. Our persecution complex is really distasteful, and I wish it would just go away.

While I certainly think there are individuals on television who certainly are all against duke all the time (which is so unprofessional), I have no doubt that people who hate duke eat that stuff up. It brings viewers. That said, the worst persecution is certainly on the home front. If i recall correctly, when UNC won 2 years ago the triangle times (or whatever the paper is) had a huge front page spread of UNC. When duke won the year later, there was a little splurb in the upper right hand corner. WHile there are a ton more UNC fans around, I think the editor MIGHT have been slightly biased

anon
04-05-2011, 01:49 PM
While I certainly think there are individuals on television who certainly are all against duke all the time (which is so unprofessional), I have no doubt that people who hate duke eat that stuff up. It brings viewers. That said, the worst persecution is certainly on the home front. If i recall correctly, when UNC won 2 years ago the triangle times (or whatever the paper is) had a huge front page spread of UNC. When duke won the year later, there was a little splurb in the upper right hand corner. WHile there are a ton more UNC fans around, I think the editor MIGHT have been slightly biased

The Durham Herald-Sun and the Raleigh N&O both appropriately featured Duke very prominently on their respective front pages.

I can't speak to the coverage from "the triangle times."

uh_no
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
The Durham Herald-Sun and the Raleigh N&O both appropriately featured Duke very prominently on their respective front pages.

I can't speak to the coverage from "the triangle times."

It was the charlotte paper

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tarheelfanblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/500x_charlotteobserver.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp%3FNB%3D3557&usg=__r3kEhjTDFbMu6GNifqEPlqg03Tw=&h=380&w=500&sz=98&hl=en&start=0&sig2=NNkSmGtrQ-_tMLZSUfNwhg&zoom=1&tbnid=YB03VLhScu6c9M:&tbnh=148&tbnw=195&ei=b1ebTa6wJYSyuAOJncXcBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Draleigh%2Bnews%2Band%2Bobserver%2Bduk e%2Bunc%2Bchampionship%2Bcomparison%26um%3D1%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D925%26tbm%3Disc h&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=506&vpy=258&dur=1081&hovh=196&hovw=258&tx=127&ty=131&oei=XFebTZLzFsW3tgePv7HLBw&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

Reilly
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
... Our persecution complex is really distasteful, and I wish it would just go away.

Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us. I doubt the alarm should be sounded on One Shining Moment (didn't see it). But somewhere, Len Elmore is plotting his next attack, and perhaps has a red phone line to Billy Packer. Sheathe the saber for now, yet maintain eternal vigilance.

gam7
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Just sayin'...

Two comments:

1. I was at the game sitting in the second row behind the Arizona bench and in front of four Arizona fans. If I had closed my eyes and only listened to those fans' running commentary, I would have thought that Duke should have been called for a foul, a travel or was the beneficiary of a phantom call literally every single time down the court. There was one exception: that play by Singler, which happened right in front of us. For the only time all game, the guys behind me were silent, and then one of them says: "That was just awesome."

2. The only good thing about one of those Derrick Williams dunks is that I was in the background. My first One Shining Moment.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Just sayin'...

that was, and still is, a phenomenal play. Epitome of Kyle Singler, Epitome of Duke. Hope we have a new kyle singler in the future.
That was both our best play in the tournament and the turning point in momentum against us. When Kyle went out to get his elbow bandaged because it was bleeding, old "mo" swung in Arizona's favor and never came back our way. But it was a great play by Kyle and so typical of his four years at Duke - an all out warrior effort. We'll never know if he hadn't scraped his elbow on that play if we might have had our own shining moment last night. We very well could have. What could have been, was.

Gthoma2a
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I hate to seem sour, but did it bother anyone else that they forgot to mention that Calhoun is suspended for recruiting violations to start his conference schedule next year and the school will have scholarships cut? This is what bothers me, not the montage, but the commentary that surrounded it. This morning, I was hearing on TV that Calhoun put himself into the same place as K, Bob Knight, etc. That is what bothered me.

Perhaps this is the wrong place for this, but I thought it was as good a place as any.

dukelifer
04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
That was both our best play in the tournament and the turning point in momentum against us. When Kyle went out to get his elbow bandaged because it was bleeding, old "mo" swung in Arizona's favor and never came back our way. But it was a great play by Kyle and so typical of his four years at Duke - an all out warrior effort. We'll never know if he hadn't scraped his elbow on that play if we might have had our own shining moment last night. We very well could have. What could have been, was.
I agree- it was the turning point- Kyle wanting to get back in and what seemed like 30 sec- Duke was down and then out.

Duvall
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM

I can understand being annoyed by the persecution talk, since it never goes anywhere productive. And the attacks on Duke certainly haven't done much to slow the program down. And yet, none of that changes the fact there are a lot of people in the media that don't like Duke, don't respect Duke, will go out of their way to highlight anything negative about the school and the program, and in the absence of negative facts are perfectly willing to spout content-free venom or make something up. A lot of people dislike Duke, and there's money to be made in pandering to that sentiment.

There's nothing we can do about that, but I can't fault people for being annoyed by it.

hsheffield
04-05-2011, 08:23 PM
perhaps-but some could say obsessing about a bunch of college kids throwing a ball through a hoop is not exactly deep and meaningful.

btw, I don't think we're being persecuted.

I'm just annoyed that we were featured in so many 'special moments' this year. I think I may be holding on to my disappointment from last year.

El_Diablo
04-05-2011, 09:40 PM
It was the charlotte paper

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tarheelfanblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/500x_charlotteobserver.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp%3FNB%3D3557&usg=__r3kEhjTDFbMu6GNifqEPlqg03Tw=&h=380&w=500&sz=98&hl=en&start=0&sig2=NNkSmGtrQ-_tMLZSUfNwhg&zoom=1&tbnid=YB03VLhScu6c9M:&tbnh=148&tbnw=195&ei=b1ebTa6wJYSyuAOJncXcBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Draleigh%2Bnews%2Band%2Bobserver%2Bduk e%2Bunc%2Bchampionship%2Bcomparison%26um%3D1%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D925%26tbm%3Disc h&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=506&vpy=258&dur=1081&hovh=196&hovw=258&tx=127&ty=131&oei=XFebTZLzFsW3tgePv7HLBw&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

To be fair, it was a very busy news cycle last year. Our championship coincided with the breaking news about the discovery of pollen in the air during spring time, so I fully understand why we got preempted there.

BluDvlsN1
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
This Captures my thoughts as well and and I have been trying to figure out how to broach the subject of sportsmanship on the board!
I enjoy the board and while being a new member,am very impressed with the knowledge and insight of most posts, what I find uncomfortable are the posts that wish Ill will on other programs, i.e, hoping for rules violation exposure,vacated titles,banners taken down... IMO, we're better than that, we have it all, a historic program with great kids, magnificent coaches, and hilarious fans!
If other programs end up with issues, that's unfortunate for them ,the game,and amateur athletics, so be it!! We don't have to wish for it at the top of our voices!
We have what everyone wants, win or lose, I just think at times we need to know how to lose a little better on this board!
Just sayin!

This is beyond silly. First of all, there's no real reason for them to show Duke at all in this year's OSM - it's not like we had a lot of highlights, particularly when considered in light of the tournament as a whole. Yet they included the Singler dive to knock the ball away from Williams on the break (who'd have thought that would be a turning point in the other direction), which was not at all us being punked. Then they included two Arizona dunks, including one by Derrick Williams. By any objective measure, his game against us was one of the best single performances of the tournament, so no surprise highlights from it get shown.

People seriously need to grow a thicker skin about this. Looking at this year's OSM and having a reaction of "oh my gosh, they slighted Duke!" is really ridiculously self-absorbed. And despite what some of us may think, the production guys who make the video almost certainly don't sit around all day thinking "hmm, how can we structure this to show Duke in as poor a light as possible" (which, in any event, they didn't).

Reddevil
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I had to stay up for "One Shining Moment" for two reasons. 1) It marks the end of college basketball season, and sappy or not, I love it. That montage always makes me smile. 2) That smile is what I needed after watching a team I don't care for win it all.

As for the Duke scenes, it could have been worse. Imagine if Arizona had won the title. On a funny note, I loved that they featured the "ONIONS!" call.