PDA

View Full Version : Miami Coaching Search (Haith to Mizzou)

cameroncrazy3104
04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Mizzou hired Frank Haith has their new basketball coach after being turned down by Matt Painter. Just another job opening in the ACC.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-tracker/article_e67877f6-5e74-11e0-96d1-001a4bcf6878.html

throatybeard
04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Talk radio here is off the chain. Tons of MU alumni are running their mouths, and the journalists, like Bernie Miklasz are saying things like (paraphrase) "well you want to be reasonable and you've got to give the guy a chance, but there certainly a lot of question marks surrounding the guy." He actually referred to Haith as "the poor SOB."

Much of the negative discussion is falling not so much on Haith as on AD Mike Alden. He hired Gary Pinkel of FB and Mike Anderson, but he also hired a beloved Duke point guard of the late 1980s, who proceeded to set a grease fire in the kitchen of what used to be Norm Stewart's stately house.

Me, I thought, well, that's not the greatest hire, but what did they expect after Painter said no? But I've been surprised at the amplitude of the backlash.

Part of MU's problem is that they're one of these schools where the alumni all think FB and BB should necessarily be national powerhouses, even though neither one has really ever been that. Norm Stewart had some very good teams, beat OU and KU sometimes (back when OU was good), but I don't know that I'd call his program elite. And MBB is lower than it was under him. FB is better than it's been in decades, and still MU hasn't won a Big XII title. So I think there are some expectations there that will inevitably be disappointed. Like when State folks are shocked-just-shocked when Rick Barnes won't come there.

miramar
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't think anyone at Miami will miss him too much. The Miami Herald mentioned the news this morning on page 6 of the sports page, which tells you something, although I'm sure it will get on page 1 by tomorrow now that it appears all official.

UM hired him thinking that he was going to be a great recruiter based on his rep at Texas, but that never worked out. Right now they have only two Florida players on their roster (it's about half at Florida and Florida State), and they never seemed to be in the mix for the top players in the state. Nevertheless, the entire team is coming back, so Miami could be a good place for the right coach.

diveonthefloor
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
They will offer Frank Martin and he will accept (with drool coming out of his mouth.)

NovaScotian
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
They will offer Frank Martin and he will accept (with drool coming out of his mouth.)

man oh man would i love me some frank martin in the acc.

ndkjr70
04-04-2011, 11:44 PM

As a University of Miami student, I would go bananas in excitement if we ever went after Frank Martin.

Also, nobody at the school will really miss Haith. We adopted the name 'Miami's Faithful' and dropped the tag 'Haith's faithful' about halfway through the year, when Haith showed us that he had zero control over the team. But, in typical south florida sports news, I found this out because I went to the DBR boards, not because anyone here reported it or made note of it.

I do, however, know what Lebron James ate for lunch today and the consistency of his most recent bowel movement. They keep us up to date with those important items.

blazindw
04-04-2011, 11:44 PM
All my Miami friends (and myself) would love to see Frank Martin in Coral Gables. It would really set a tone for that program. He's a great recruiter and he gets the maximum effort out of his players. His players match the intensity he shows on his face on a daily basis. I would love that at The U.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm a Miami native and was a Canes fan for many years before I went to Duke and became a Blue Devil. But I still pull for the Canes when they're not playing Duke.

When I first read that Haith had left Miami, I thought he'd been fired. And it was not the least bit surprising. When I later learned he had been hired away by another school, now THAT was surprising. I think he's done a decent job recruiting actually. There's some talented players that have come through Miami the last 7 years, but if there's been one common theme with his Miami teams it's how disorganized they look at all times. His tenure was not a total disaster. He left Miami more or less the same as they were after Perry Clark got canned, no better no worse. But he got 7 years to do something, which is a lot more than most coaches get. He did nothing in 7 years. Why this caught Missouri's eye is beyond me.

Frank Martin seems like a great fit for Miami. Hurricanes basketball is an afterthought in Miami. They can't sell out an arena that seats like 7000 people. The games have almost no atmosphere. They need someone like Frank Martin, someone who has built somewhat of a name, and who seems just a little crazy. I mean, in large part he's built somewhat of a name BECAUSE he seems a little crazy. But that's what we need right now. Someone who can bring some attention to the program. Being a Miami native helps. There are some pretty big names coaching college basketball in the state right now--Billy Donovan, Leonard Hamilton, Isiah Thomas... Hopefully, Martin can sell his passion for the game, and sell local recruits on staying in Miami, and maybe keep some of those guys from going elsewhere.

I can't see them getting anyone better either. So, count me in as a vote for Frank Martin.

TexHawk
04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
All my Miami friends (and myself) would love to see Frank Martin in Coral Gables. It would really set a tone for that program. He's a great recruiter and he gets the maximum effort out of his players. His players match the intensity he shows on his face on a daily basis. I would love that at The U.
Frank's best players at KSU have been Mike Beasley, Bill Walker, and Jacob Pullen. All were recruited by Bob Huggins. The only decent player Frank has brought to Manhattan was Denis Clemente (from Miami actually), and that was a transfer.

That's not to say he wouldn't be a good hire. He would be. But his recruiting chops have not been proven. Being closer to Florida talent would help.

tommy
04-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I think Martin may be a tough sell to Miami's President, Donna Shalala. Martin does not appear able to control his emotions. At all. Frankly, he appears, on a regular basis, to be abusive out there towards his players - verbally and emotionally, if not physically. I do not think he makes a very good representative for a university, and do not think the image he presents is one that UM would want to be associated with. Nor have I ever been able to understand why parents would want to sentence their child to spend four years with this maniac, who appears to me to have only one emotion: rage. I don't think that's going to be Donna Shalala's kind of guy. Could be wrong, but just sayin'.

blazindw
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Frank's best players at KSU have been Mike Beasley, Bill Walker, and Jacob Pullen. All were recruited by Bob Huggins. The only decent player Frank has brought to Manhattan was Denis Clemente (from Miami actually), and that was a transfer.

That's not to say he wouldn't be a good hire. He would be. But his recruiting chops have not been proven. Being closer to Florida talent would help.

Pullen was recruited by Huggy, but Martin had to convince him not to back out of his LOI, and he got to coach him for 4 years. He's also got McGruder, Irving, Myles, Judge and Asprilla from Florida high schools and jucos, so he's already known around those parts on the recruiting trail. I think he'll be able to recruit quite well to keep Florida talent, South Florida especially, in the so-called "State of Miami." His past experience coaching Miami high schools will lend well as he has those relationships.

Now, will Shalala give the OK? My alum senses say that is questionable. Should she? Absolutely. But we will see. Te alumni base is already less than pleased as a whole over the Golden hire. A lackluster hire on the basketball court will send it into a frenzy. Remember that there is no AD, as he left to take over at Texas Tech unexpectedly over a month ago and they haven't hired anyone to replace him. The board of trustees need to nail this hire, and in most people's minds around the Canes athletic programs, that shortlist should have Frank Martin right at the top.

EDIT: According to this article, both Pullen and Kelly were Martin recruits, not Huggy's - http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/04/2776496_martins-name-will-keep-coming.html?storylink=omni_popular

tommy
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I grew up in Miami and still have a lot of friends and family there. Sports people. I emailed a group of them this morning to get a sense of what's happening there on the ground in terms of the search. The unanimous response: "Nobody here cares about UM basketball."

I knew that, but to see it come so clearly from so many people, simultaneously. Wow.

tieguy
04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
People can only barely be coaxed to care about any sport in Miami that isn't the Dolphins (even the year after championships for the Marlins and Heat), so no surprise no one cares about Haith. But I think Martin would get at least some attention, which is probably part of what would make him a good hire. Good point about him getting past Shalala, though- he'd have to really impress her in a face-to-face interview- no way she's hiring him sight unseen.

~tieguy(born and bred a long stroll from the U's campus)

TexHawk
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Pullen was recruited by Huggy, but Martin had to convince him not to back out of his LOI, and he got to coach him for 4 years. He's also got McGruder, Irving, Myles, Judge and Asprilla from Florida high schools and jucos, so he's already known around those parts on the recruiting trail. I think he'll be able to recruit quite well to keep Florida talent, South Florida especially, in the so-called "State of Miami." His past experience coaching Miami high schools will lend well as he has those relationships.

Now, will Shalala give the OK? My alum senses say that is questionable. Should she? Absolutely. But we will see. Te alumni base is already less than pleased as a whole over the Golden hire. A lackluster hire on the basketball court will send it into a frenzy. Remember that there is no AD, as he left to take over at Texas Tech unexpectedly over a month ago and they haven't hired anyone to replace him. The board of trustees need to nail this hire, and in most people's minds around the Canes athletic programs, that shortlist should have Frank Martin right at the top.

EDIT: According to this article, both Pullen and Kelly were Martin recruits, not Huggy's - http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/04/2776496_martins-name-will-keep-coming.html?storylink=omni_popular
Don't believe everything the KC Star tells you. Pullen (http://www.wildcatvictory.com/blog/basketball/jacob-pullen-kansas-state-living-legend/) was very much a Huggins a recruit. Martin definitely deserves credit for keeping him onboard though.

If you want to give credit for Pullen, that's fine, but he deserves equal derision for the Judge/Aprilla fiascos. Judge is his "5*, I-can-recruit-high-school-studs" feather in his cap. Frank coached him up to 5 ppg until he ultimately quit the team. Asprilla was less successful than Judge, and he bolted too.

El_Diablo
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't believe everything the KC Star tells you. Pullen (http://www.wildcatvictory.com/blog/basketball/jacob-pullen-kansas-state-living-legend/) was very much a Huggins a recruit. Martin definitely deserves credit for keeping him onboard though.

If you want to give credit for Pullen, that's fine, but he deserves equal derision for the Judge/Aprilla fiascos. Judge is his "5*, I-can-recruit-high-school-studs" feather in his cap. Frank coached him up to 5 ppg until he ultimately quit the team. Asprilla was less successful than Judge, and he bolted too.

I think you're both right on Pullen. Rivals notes which coach(es) take the lead on recruiting players:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jacob-Pullen-46635

Assuming it's accurate, it looks like Pullen committed to Huggins' team, but Martin was the one who was recruiting him (along with Coach Hill).

miramar
04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I think Martin may be a tough sell to Miami's President, Donna Shalala. Martin does not appear able to control his emotions. At all. Frankly, he appears, on a regular basis, to be abusive out there towards his players - verbally and emotionally, if not physically. I do not think he makes a very good representative for a university, and do not think the image he presents is one that UM would want to be associated with. Nor have I ever been able to understand why parents would want to sentence their child to spend four years with this maniac, who appears to me to have only one emotion: rage. I don't think that's going to be Donna Shalala's kind of guy. Could be wrong, but just sayin'.

Not to mention that Shalala, to her credit, wants Miami players to graduate. Martin's graduation rate of 14% for African American players won't go over so well in Coral Gables. As far as his treatment of players, he has run off a number of them (Asprilla, Judge), which also won't do much for him. Finally, I'm sure they haven't forgotten the time he was fired at Miami High for using ineligible players. It seems that all of Martin's positives are a result of going to the Elite Eight a year ago, but he seems to have negated that with far more modest results this year.

superdave
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
It looks like Frank Martin got the cold should from The U. That's a little surpising because he appears to be a hot commodity right now and is a native for that area.

The Miami Herald reported Saturday that the finalists (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-04-10/sports/fl-miami-coaching-search-update-0411-20110410_1_athletic-director-tony-hernandez-basketball-coach-head-coach)are Richmond's Chris Mooney, Harvard's Tommy Amaker, Murray State's Billy Kennedy, Alabama-Birmingham's Mike Davis, Auburn's Tony Barbee, as well as Jeff Capel and John Pelphrey, fired recently by Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Since the article above it looks like Mike Davis is not under consideration (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/is_miami_pursuing_uab_head_coa.html).

throatybeard
04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Bryan Burwell defends Mizzou AD Mike Alden (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/article_11ef9eb6-efb9-59a9-8c3d-dd46ab3a213e.html). And Haith makes a good first impression (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_97032410-6195-5edf-8c84-79879dc02213.html) despite his so-so record (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_7a5ddab6-a994-59fb-8032-0eb51dce0a3f.html).

superdave
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Apparently Amaker is getting a decent bit of attention (http://es.pn/ehBfgL)from Miami. That would be kind of a shock.

dukenilnil
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Apparently Amaker is getting a decent bit of attention (http://es.pn/ehBfgL)from Miami. That would be kind of a shock.

I must be missing something because, unlike DBR, I'd actually like to see Amaker in Miami. It's a big time gig and after his chances at the Hall and Michigan, it wasn't always certain he'd get another shot.

Yes, it's in the ACC, but I can properly categorize and root for him to do well in all games except for Duke. Florida has a lot of talent and he's a good recruiter. No reason he couldn't do well there.

Building up Harvard would be fun, but w/o schollies, Harvard will never be a big time program. Miami could be or at least a stepping stone up to perennial challenger.

A-Tex Devil
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I must be missing something because, unlike DBR, I'd actually like to see Amaker in Miami. It's a big time gig and after his chances at the Hall and Michigan, it wasn't always certain he'd get another shot.

Yes, it's in the ACC, but I can properly categorize and root for him to do well in all games except for Duke. Florida has a lot of talent and he's a good recruiter. No reason he couldn't do well there.

Building up Harvard would be fun, but w/o schollies, Harvard will never be a big time program. Miami could be or at least a stepping stone up to perennial challenger.

I just don't think that Miami can be big time or even close without shadiness (not the palm tree kind) to attract the players. Florida is a football state, and while there is some talent there, it's not much. Miami has some of the worst student support in the revenue sports in all of the BCS. It may actually be the worst. I get where Shalala is coming from -- it's academics first -- and that's fine. But their failure to go after Frank Martin shows their hand to any coach that thinks there will be any kind of commitment to success by the university. I am not saying she is making the wrong decision, but she is making a decision that should make anyone interested in the job wary should they want to bring in a borderline-academics quality kid that could be a star player.

The real problem is that there a ton to do in Miami for students and tshirt fans alike. It will take a real sell job, on a Scott Drew/Jim Calipari/Bob Huggins/Jerry Tarkanian level, I'm afraid, to attract the players that school will need to garner any reasonable student/townie interest that might get that snowball rolling.

sagegrouse
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Harvard can be as competitive as it wants to be. Something about a $29 billion endowment and a commitment to win at basketball. The Ivy League ban on athletic scholarships doesn't limit need-based scholarships to student-athletes that meet certain uniform Ivy League academic standards for athletes. (Note a.) Tommy is recruiting really well these days, even chasing the Princeton coach all the way to Fairfield.

That said, making Harvard more than just an Ivy League power is pushing a boulder up the hill. I am sure the right Div-I high major job would excite him. Miami? We'll see.

sagegrouse
'Note a: Yeah, I know there was a controversy in the NY Times about Harvard entry requirements for athletes. I'll be happy to eviscerate it and the Times yet again if there is any interest.'

tommy
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I just don't think that Miami can be big time or even close without shadiness (not the palm tree kind) to attract the players. Florida is a football state, and while there is some talent there, it's not much. Miami has some of the worst student support in the revenue sports in all of the BCS. It may actually be the worst. I get where Shalala is coming from -- it's academics first -- and that's fine. But their failure to go after Frank Martin shows their hand to any coach that thinks there will be any kind of commitment to success by the university. I am not saying she is making the wrong decision, but she is making a decision that should make anyone interested in the job wary should they want to bring in a borderline-academics quality kid that could be a star player.

The real problem is that there a ton to do in Miami for students and tshirt fans alike. It will take a real sell job, on a Scott Drew/Jim Calipari/Bob Huggins/Jerry Tarkanian level, I'm afraid, to attract the players that school will need to garner any reasonable student/townie interest that might get that snowball rolling.

You're on the money on this. Miami will continue to be a graveyard for coaches for several reasons, not the least of which is NOBODY CARES ABOUT HURRICANE BASKETBALL!! The students don't care, the alumni don't care, the locals don't care. Miami folks love their football, and they like the Heat and Marlins when they're winning. But there's just too much else to do.

I also think the idea that Miami is a hotbed of high school talent is largely overblown. There are D-1 prospects regularly produced out of Ft. Lauderdale and environs, as well as central and northern Florida, but Miami? Not so much. Tim Hardaway, Jr., out of my alma mater Palmetto High, was the biggest recruit out of Miami in some time.

Tommy needs to be very careful about stepping into a BCS job again. The next one may be his last chance. He shouldn't blow it by taking a job at a school at which basketball is not important to the fanbase or the administration, and therefore at which his chances of major success are very limited.

blazindw
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM

For the record, while student support for basketball is putrid, more than half the school is in the stands for each football game...and that's for a stadium that's 20 miles from the school (in Miami terms, that's at least an hour by bus). There's a lot of students that attend the baseball games as well as sizeable student attendance at track meets, but it's #1-100 a football school. Basketball just hasn't been good lately or ever (other than when Tim James was there). They only rejoined D-1 basketball in 1985, to put it into perspective.

I would love to see Amaker there. I thought he got a bad rap at Michigan (one of my first loves) and I'd like to see him get another shot at my law school alma mater. I can always compartmentalize my support for Miami basketball when they're not playing Duke, so I would like to see it happen.

duke79
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
You're on the money on this. Miami will continue to be a graveyard for coaches for several reasons, not the least of which is NOBODY CARES ABOUT HURRICANE BASKETBALL!! The students don't care, the alumni don't care, the locals don't care. Miami folks love their football, and they like the Heat and Marlins when they're winning. But there's just too much else to do.

I also think the idea that Miami is a hotbed of high school talent is largely overblown. There are D-1 prospects regularly produced out of Ft. Lauderdale and environs, as well as central and northern Florida, but Miami? Not so much. Tim Hardaway, Jr., out of my alma mater Palmetto High, was the biggest recruit out of Miami in some time.

Tommy needs to be very careful about stepping into a BCS job again. The next one may be his last chance. He shouldn't blow it by taking a job at a school at which basketball is not important to the fanbase or the administration, and therefore at which his chances of major success are very limited.
I agree with your opinion here. I also think Tommy needs to be VERY careful if he is really considering taking the Miami job. I'm sure they're throwing a lot more money at him than he is making at Harvard, but I think Miami will be a very tough place for any coach to succeed - not a basketball school playing in one of the toughest BB conferences in the county. I don't think he wants to end up in a situation where three or four years down the road he gets fired for not producing winning teams (that may not be his fault). That could be the end of his major college coaching career. IMHO, he should stay at Harvard for a few more years, produce some Ivy League champion teams, play in the NCAA's, and then wait for a better opportunity to open up. I think his coaching stock should only go up over the new few years. Furthermore, it sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a coach leaves a college that has given the coach a needed break in his career as soon as a more lucrative opportunity comes up. I don't think there were a lot of programs chasing after Tommy after he got fired by Michigan. In many ways, he was lucky (again, IMHO) that Harvard gave him the opportunity to coach the team. I also hear that everyone associated with Harvard basketball has been thrilled with Tommy as their coach and I'm sure many of those people would be disappointed and disillusioned if he left so soon after taking over the program.

A-Tex Devil
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree with your opinion here. I also think Tommy needs to be VERY careful if he is really considering taking the Miami job. I'm sure they're throwing a lot more money at him than he is making at Harvard, but I think Miami will be a very tough place for any coach to succeed - not a basketball school playing in one of the toughest BB conferences in the county. I don't think he wants to end up in a situation where three or four years down the road he gets fired for not producing winning teams (that may not be his fault). That could be the end of his major college coaching career. IMHO, he should stay at Harvard for a few more years, produce some Ivy League champion teams, play in the NCAA's, and then wait for a better opportunity to open up. I think his coaching stock should only go up over the new few years. Furthermore, it sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a coach leaves a college that has given the coach a needed break in his career as soon as a more lucrative opportunity comes up. I don't think there were a lot of programs chasing after Tommy after he got fired by Michigan. In many ways, he was lucky (again, IMHO) that Harvard gave him the opportunity to coach the team. I also hear that everyone associated with Harvard basketball has been thrilled with Tommy as their coach and I'm sure many of those people would be disappointed and disillusioned if he left so soon after taking over the program.

If they are going to throw a lot of money at Amaker, they needed to hire Frank Martin. Tommy is great, but Miami basketball needs a perfect storm of personality, connections, and big name recruits in order to succeed. Frank Martin, being a former AAU coach down there, has the ability to do all three. Tommy is in a decent place at Harvard, and while Miami may be the right fit for some, I just don't see it for Amaker. Better opportunities will come.

But I could be really wrong, too.

sagegrouse
04-12-2011, 09:25 AM
If they are going to throw a lot of money at Amaker, they needed to hire Frank Martin. Tommy is great, but Miami basketball needs a perfect storm of personality, connections, and big name recruits in order to succeed. Frank Martin, being a former AAU coach down there, has the ability to do all three. Tommy is in a decent place at Harvard, and while Miami may be the right fit for some, I just don't see it for Amaker. Better opportunities will come.

But I could be really wrong, too.

Martin may be the right guy, but I don't think Donna Shalala would touch him with a ten-foot pole. He had a state HS title in Florida vacated by recruiting a couple of players who lived outside the district of his Miami HS. A "couple," like, as in five.

sagegrouse

johnb
04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I think Harvard is able to offer full tuition, room, and board to any student-athlete whose parents make less than, say, $100K. Amaker has already gotten some concessions from admissions, the Harvard name should open lots of parental doors, and there doesn't seem to be any particular reason he can't make Harvard the Stanford/Duke of New England. Like Miami, Boston is a pro team town, but if Harvard becomes the cream of the Ivy League and gets on tv by scheduling an additional 5 BCS games per year, he is more likely to be going to the NCAA tournament than he ever would as a Hurricane.

And as has been noted, Amaker took 2 imperfect jobs at SH and Michigan and flailed. Better be careful or he'll be out of coaching altogether.

duke79
04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I think Harvard is able to offer full tuition, room, and board to any student-athlete whose parents make less than, say, $100K. Amaker has already gotten some concessions from admissions, the Harvard name should open lots of parental doors, and there doesn't seem to be any particular reason he can't make Harvard the Stanford/Duke of New England. Like Miami, Boston is a pro team town, but if Harvard becomes the cream of the Ivy League and gets on tv by scheduling an additional 5 BCS games per year, he is more likely to be going to the NCAA tournament than he ever would as a Hurricane.

And as has been noted, Amaker took 2 imperfect jobs at SH and Michigan and flailed. Better be careful or he'll be out of coaching altogether.

Well said. Tommy could build a very solid career and program at Harvard but taking the Miami job or other (less than stellar) major college job could be a HUGE gamble for him. I'm not sure he would survive as a head coach if he flames out at another job.

Indoor66
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Well said. Tommy could build a very solid career and program at Harvard but taking the Miami job or other (less than stellar) major college job could be a HUGE gamble for him. I'm not sure he would survive as a head coach if he flames out at another job.

+ his wife is in a nice position at Harvard. You know, if mama ain't happy, no one is happy!

DukeFencer
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
http://gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/releases/20110412_Amaker

CameronBornAndBred
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
http://gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/releases/20110412_Amaker

Cool. I think Tommy is going to have the Crimson dancing next year.

superdave
04-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Cool. I think Tommy is going to have the Crimson dancing next year.

I think this is a good choice by TA. I could see him as a successor to Dawkins at Stanford before going to a place like Miami. It just didnt feel right. Here's hoping for an NCAA berth next year.

What's next for The U?

duke79
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Yea, I think this is good news for both Tommy AND Harvard. Although he is never going to build a national powerhouse at Harvard (a la Duke), he can certainly build a very solid Ivy League team and have a nice life for himself and his wife. Although I'm sure he could make more money at a major Div. I school, I'm guessing he is one of the highest paid employees of Harvard and being associated with Harvard is not a bad gig in life. I grew up around Boston and have lived in Massachusetts for over 45 years and it would be hard to overstate the sway that Harvard has in the Boston area (if not the entire country and maybe world). I'm guessing that if he has continued success at Harvard, he will eventually move on to a bigger program with national potential but this did not feel like the right time or the right job for him to leave for.

David
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Yea, I think this is good news for both Tommy AND Harvard. Although he is never going to build a national powerhouse at Harvard (a la Duke), he can certainly build a very solid Ivy League team and have a nice life for himself and his wife. Although I'm sure he could make more money at a major Div. I school, I'm guessing he is one of the highest paid employees of Harvard and being associated with Harvard is not a bad gig in life. I grew up around Boston and have lived in Massachusetts for over 45 years and it would be hard to overstate the sway that Harvard has in the Boston area (if not the entire country and maybe world). I'm guessing that if he has continued success at Harvard, he will eventually move on to a bigger program with national potential but this did not feel like the right time or the right job for him to leave for.

This strikes me a classic "stay your lane" decision. Tommy is a really good fit at Harvard, less so at Miami (even though many would say Miami is the better job). Tommy should stay at Harvard indefinitely unless he is offered a top position (e.g., Duke, Kansas, UCLA). He has found his lane - stick to it.

Jim3k
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/119720439.html), Wisconsin's Deputy AD, Shawn Eichorst, has been hired as University of Miami's new AD. This will have at least some impact on Miami's search for a basketball coach, though I'm not clear on how it will be affected. I do know that the search has been run by a headhunter firm hired by the current acting AD.

At least the new coach will likely have the approval of the new AD.

Newton_14
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I think this is a good choice by TA. I could see him as a successor to Dawkins at Stanford before going to a place like Miami. It just didnt feel right. Here's hoping for an NCAA berth next year.

What's next for The U?

Agree! Very relieved Amaker did not touch this job for many of the reasons others have stated. He can do so much better. I hope he stays at Harvard a few more years and wins some championships. He will get another shot at a BCS school one day, and there are far better choices than Miami.

Great decision Tommy Amaker!

johnb
04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I think it's realistic for Amaker to lift Harvard into the NCAA-bound mid-major category. Butler and Gonzaga do it without being household names, and Harvard has the biggest name brand in the world.

If Tommy can recruit 2 or 3 top 100 players per year, and one or two of them blossom into players considered for the NBA, he'll have the sort of team that can compete with anybody. And when that happens, I would think tv would be happy to show them. As one poster wrote, Harvard is a huge name in Boston, but it's also a huge name around the country, and plenty of people in every region of the country would turn on the tv to watch them play any variety of school (fancy, like Duke or Stanford; contrasting, like Kentucky or West Virginia; local, like BC or U Conn).

Those are big ifs, but I'd assume he and his college administration know that Harvard is both great and perpetually seen as snobbish and otherworldy. What better way to get seen as a real-life place for excellence than to develop a basketball program, especially when a basketball team only requires a couple admissions stretches per year, and those stretches are often for people who would otherwise do just fine at big-sport schools like Stanford, Northwestern, or Duke?

Oh, and turning down Miami probably just cemented Amaker a tad more admissions wiggle room.

tommy
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Garry Parrish says here (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/28705752http://) that Miami is focussed on Jim Larranaga of George Mason.

61 years old. 13 straight winning seasons at Mason, which is pretty tough to do I think. Roots are in the northeast, but was on Terry Holland's staff for awhile at Virginia before becoming a head coach at Bowling Green and then of course at George Mason.

Would he be able to recruit to Miami? Not sure that's an easy task no matter who the new hire would be. Meets Donna Shalala's "good guy" criterion though, and he's won at both BGSU and GMU, and at this point maybe there's nobody better who would be interested.

miramar
04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess no one knows if Larranaga is seriously considering UM or whether it's a negotiating ploy, but it seems that the job could be his if he wants it.

I think he would do well at Miami. He's very knowledgeable and quite personable, and he would get a good reception in South Florida. Not to mention that people would actually know how to pronounce his last name.

Personally, I would be glad to smoke a Por Larraņaga in his honor since he would bring some personality to basketball in South Florida, something that has been sorely lacking since Leonard Hamilton left town. Plus he seems to know how to beat UNC.

Rudy
04-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I guess no one knows if Larranaga is seriously considering UM or whether it's a negotiating ploy, but it seems that the job could be his if he wants it.

I think he would do well at Miami. He's very knowledgeable and quite personable, and he would get a good reception in South Florida. Not to mention that people would actually know how to pronounce his last name.

Personally, I would be glad to smoke a Por Larraņaga in his honor since he would bring some personality to basketball in South Florida, something that has been sorely lacking since Leonard Hamilton left town. Plus he seems to know how to beat UNC.

I would be shocked if Larranaga would be interested. He's a little cornpone but cute with his adages and I would be surprised if he could recruit well enough to be competitive in the ACC before his age got too much for him and his recruits.

He's adored where he is and doesn't have to put up with any prima donna players. Other than the money why would he want to go there?

Indoor66
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
I would be shocked if Larranaga would be interested. He's a little cornpone but cute with his adages and I would be surprised if he could recruit well enough to be competitive in the ACC before his age got too much for him and his recruits.

He's adored where he is and doesn't have to put up with any prima donna players. Other than the money why would he want to go there?

At his age, the money. Sweeten that retirement.

miramar
04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
At his age, the money. Sweeten that retirement.

According to the AD at Mason, "GMU wanted to keep Larranaga but couldn't compete with the money offered by an ACC school."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2180518/george-mason-coach-talking-with.html#ixzz1KGrcNnKq

sagegrouse
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
According to the AD at Mason, "GMU wanted to keep Larranaga but couldn't compete with the money offered by an ACC school."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2180518/george-mason-coach-talking-with.html#ixzz1KGrcNnKq

Fran Dunphy doubled or tripled his income when he went across town from Penn to Temple. IIRC he was in his late 50s. For Larranaga, even older, these are prime earnings years and a last shot at a big-money job. The money (~500 at GMU to 1 million+ at Miami) will make a difference in lifefstyle, retirement, and funds to take care of his family.

Plus, Miami and Coral Gables aren't half-bad, and he won't have to travel the Capital Beltway any more. :p

sagegrouse

94duke
04-22-2011, 02:13 PM
It's official

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/04/22/jim.larranaga.miami.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Rudy
04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Fran Dunphy doubled or tripled his income when he went across town from Penn to Temple. IIRC he was in his late 50s. For Larranaga, even older, these are prime earnings years and a last shot at a big-money job. The money (~500 at GMU to 1 million+ at Miami) will make a difference in lifefstyle, retirement, and funds to take care of his family.

Plus, Miami and Coral Gables aren't half-bad, and he won't have to travel the Capital Beltway any more. :p

sagegrouse
Yeah, getting away from the traffic is a worthy quality of life issue.

Penn to Temple for more money is easy (unless you still have a kid you want to get into Penn). You wouldn't even have to sell your house.

Today's Washington Post story "according to sources" indicated Larranaga wasn't feeling the love so much anymore. I would have thought he could have jumped for more money/bigger program a year or two from the final four, which is why I figured he was staying for good. But maybe not.....

Indoor66
04-23-2011, 05:40 PM

I don't know about the traffic issue. Driving around Coral Gables stinks. US-1, I-95, The Dolphin Expressway, The Don Shula Expressway and The Palmetto Expressway all are like parking lots much of the day. It is not the land of easy driving. But the weather is great!

MCFinARL
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Penn to Temple for more money is easy (unless you still have a kid you want to get into Penn). You wouldn't even have to sell your house.

Today's Washington Post story "according to sources" indicated Larranaga wasn't feeling the love so much anymore. I would have thought he could have jumped for more money/bigger program a year or two from the final four, which is why I figured he was staying for good. But maybe not.....

Per the Post article, Larranaga is close friends with Alan Merten, the university president, who is retiring this year. It's possible that relationship, along with the fact that he got a substantial raise (albeit much less than he will make at Miami) after the Final Four appearance, kept him at GMU when he might have left before.

JasonEvans
04-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Today's Washington Post story "according to sources" indicated Larranaga wasn't feeling the love so much anymore.

Really? What more does Mason want from him? They had a great season this year -- ranked in the top 25, got a very solid #9 seed, knocked off Villanova in the first round of the tourney. I mean, that is amazing by mid-major standards. One could argue that only Butler and Xavier are clearly better programs among the mid-majors during Larranaga's time at Mason...

... well, VCU and a few others might dispute that, but you get my point.

If he takes Miami to the big dance 3 out of 6 years, once to the Final Four, they will erect a statue to him ;)

-Jason "I think this is a good hire -- even if it will mean that Miami needs to find a new coach in 6 or so years" Evans

Dev11
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
One could argue that only Butler and Xavier are clearly better programs among the mid-majors during Larranaga's time at Mason...

If Mark Few shouts "East Coast Bias!" in the middle of the redwood forest, does anybody hear it?

Rudy
04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Really? What more does Mason want from him? They had a great season this year -- ranked in the top 25, got a very solid #9 seed, knocked off Villanova in the first round of the tourney. I mean, that is amazing by mid-major standards. One could argue that only Butler and Xavier are clearly better programs among the mid-majors during Larranaga's time at Mason...

... well, VCU and a few others might dispute that, but you get my point.

In the aftermath it could be that he was told by GMU that there wasn't money in the budget for a performance bonus for him or a raise for his assistants. Then, Smart gets $1.2 M and his assistants split $300K at another state university. A WTF moment.

tieguy
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't know about the traffic issue. Driving around Coral Gables stinks. US-1, I-95, The Dolphin Expressway, The Don Shula Expressway and The Palmetto Expressway all are like parking lots much of the day. It is not the land of easy driving. But the weather is great!

Yes, but if you live and work in Coral Gables, you never need to be on any of those unless you want to go to Miami Beach or the airport. Donna Shalala's commute is about 15 minutes, crossing US-1 and virtually the entire rest of the time on tree-lined side streets.

(And really, even on its worst days, I-95 is child's play compared to the horror that is the Beltway.)

MCFinARL
04-24-2011, 10:32 PM
In the aftermath it could be that he was told by GMU that there wasn't money in the budget for a performance bonus for him or a raise for his assistants. Then, Smart gets $1.2 M and his assistants split $300K at another state university. A WTF moment.

Yes, and I can sympathize -- I have no argument with Larranaga choosing a few well-paid years to provide for retirement. But as an instructor at GMU who gets paid much less than a tenth of what Larranaga was getting to teach the admittedly far less important subject of English composition, and who has been asked to teach greater numbers of students per section over the last few semesters because of tight budgets (because the university can't afford to pay another $3500 to offer 24 sections with 22 students instead of 23 sections with 23 students), I can't in all honesty say that I think Mason should have offered Larranaga a lot more money. Instead, I have to wonder what VCU is choosing not to fund so that they can keep the talented and charismatic Shaka Smart.