PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Jeff Capel?

langdonfan
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have any idea what Jeff Capel is planning to do now that he's been let go at Oklahoma? There a lot of jobs still open (and coming open) right now, so he could very well end up as a head coach elsewhere. If Wojo or Chris Collins or Nate James were to leave this year...it just makes you wonder...would he consider signing on as an assistant for a couple of years before taking his next head coaching job? I expect someone like Carrawell or Spatola might slide into an assistant spot if one comes open, but hey, who knows. I just thought it was a little odd that Jeff's name isn't being mentioned more prominently for some of these current openings. A few days after he was fired his name seemed to be popping up for every opening. It makes me think he could be headed to the NBA as an assistant. Just wondering if anyone else might have seen or heard any reports regarding his future.

sagegrouse
04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have any idea what Jeff Capel is planning to do now that he's been let go at Oklahoma? There a lot of jobs still open (and coming open) right now, so he could very well end up as a head coach elsewhere. If Wojo or Chris Collins or Nate James were to leave this year...it just makes you wonder...would he consider signing on as an assistant for a couple of years before taking his next head coaching job? I expect someone like Carrawell or Spatola might slide into an assistant spot if one comes open, but hey, who knows. I just thought it was a little odd that Jeff's name isn't being mentioned more prominently for some of these current openings. A few days after he was fired his name seemed to be popping up for every opening. It makes me think he could be headed to the NBA as an assistant. Just wondering if anyone else might have seen or heard any reports regarding his future.

I dunno what Jeff will do. A couple of things: his wife Kanika (Duke summa cum laude, Yale Law) is a law prof at OU. So any job would have to consider her preferences.

The other factor, which I don't know, is the terms of his departure. Years remaining on contract? Severance payment? Penalty for accepting another job?

I suspect Jeff is in no hurry to jump at just any coaching job. That said, if Shaka Smart departs VCU, where Jeff coached prior to OU, you would expect there to be a conversation.

sagegrouse

Phoenix22
04-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Jeff Capel should go to Northwestern!

I was going to you wait til after the final to start this campagin, but since this thread is here: Jeff Capel to Northwestern! With coaches already at Harvard, Stanford, and Notre Dame, NU is just a perfect fit. Plus, they are the only school in a major conference to never have made the tournament. Isn't it time?

Capel to Northwestern!

biscuit30
04-02-2011, 04:13 PM
The other factor, which I don't know, is the terms of his departure. Years remaining on contract? Severance payment? Penalty for accepting another job?

I suspect Jeff is in no hurry to jump at just any coaching job. That said, if Shaka Smart departs VCU, where Jeff coached prior to OU, you would expect there to be a conversation.

sagegrouse

Why would he have a penalty for accepting another job? He was fired wasn't he? He should be allowed to coach for anyone that wants him.

sagegrouse
04-02-2011, 04:57 PM
sagegrouse -- The other factor, which I don't know, is the terms of his departure. Years remaining on contract? Severance payment? Penalty for accepting another job?

sagegrouse

Why would he have a penalty for accepting another job? He was fired wasn't he? He should be allowed to coach for anyone that wants him.

You are correct in this case. Here's para. from the AP story:

"Capel had five years left on the contract that was extended after he made it within a win of the 2009 Final Four, with Griffin leading the way. He was making $1.5 million per year, and had annual raises and stay bonuses built into the contract. His buyout will be in excess of $2 million."

Well, there clearly was a buyout provision. Otherwise OU would have owed him the full value of the five years remaining, which would be much greater than the $2 million referenced.

If there was a buyout, he won't have a penalty for accepting a new job because the contract is canceled.

If OTOH he was fired but the contract remained in place, then accepting a new job could have reduce the remaining payments.

With "in excess of $2 million" from the buyout, he can clearly wait to decide what he will do.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Just wondering aloud... if Wojo were to take the Dayton job as mentioned on the front page, would K talk to Laettner about the big man coach position opening? I think he would. Christian might instill some attitude in the Plumlees... :cool:

MCFinARL
04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Just wondering aloud... if Wojo were to take the Dayton job as mentioned on the front page, would K talk to Laettner about the big man coach position opening? I think he would. Christian might instill some attitude in the Plumlees... :cool:

Check the "Laettner looking for a coaching gig" thread, where folks are discussing this very possibility.

NYC Duke Fan
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM

I was going to you wait til after the final to start this campagin, but since this thread is here: Jeff Capel to Northwestern! With coaches already at Harvard, Stanford, and Notre Dame, NU is just a perfect fit. Plus, they are the only school in a major conference to never have made the tournament. Isn't it time?

Capel to Northwestern!

Didn't the Northwestern Coach do a very admirable job this year? Why would they fire him , unless there is something that I do not know and he was already fired?

burnspbesq
04-02-2011, 10:52 PM

As an assistant? Why?

Bill Carmody is the coach at Northwestern until he decides he doesn't want to be the coach at Northwestern. He signed a multi-year extension in January. All he's done in the last two season is have the Mildcats' first 20-win season in approximately forever, and make the NIT. And his players graduate on time and don't get in trouble. As far as the leadership at Northwestern is concerned, Bill Carmody walks on water.

MartyClark
04-02-2011, 11:24 PM

I don't see him coming back to Duke as an assistant. It's a bit unusual , although not unprecedented for, for a coach of a major program to come back as an assistant in another major program. I suspect he sits out a year and returns as a midmajor coach.

Kdogg
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't see him coming back to Duke as an assistant. It's a bit unusual , although not unprecedented for, for a coach of a major program to come back as an assistant in another major program. I suspect he sits out a year and returns as a midmajor coach.

I don't think Jeff would take an assistant coaching job either unless it was as a "coach in waiting". It does happen more often now though. Off the top of my head I can think of Dave Leioto, Larry Shyatt and Steven Robinson who have made the switch. Robinson is especially surprising because I think he could get a head coaching job if he wanted.

Reilly
04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
... Off the top of my head I can think of Dave Leioto, Larry Shyatt and Steven Robinson who have made the switch. ....

Didn't Dave Odom also leave ECU to be an assistant at UVa? And wasn't his more surprising in that he wasn't looking for a job (like Leito or Robinson)?

Phoenix22
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I think Carmody has done a fine job and hopefully will get NU into the tourny next year. I was simply hoping to start a campaign to increase the ties between my two schools and increase the quality of the program at NU. I wasn't actually suggesting that Capel to NU was a real possibility...maybe wojo?

Anyway, can we get the football series going again?

Duke '01, Northwestern '06

Matches
04-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Doesn't State have to at least give Jeff a call? I know he's not the guy they really want, but he fits Yow's critera and doesn't have Pearl's ethical baggage. Plus he's a NC guy.

burnspbesq
04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Some St.Louis media are suggesting that Capel will become Frank Haith's top assistant at Mizzou.

-bdbd
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Some St.Louis media are suggesting that Capel will become Frank Haith's top assistant at Mizzou.

I was thinking Capel to Miami had a nice ring to it...