PDA

View Full Version : Great stories on 1991 Duke's Championship

McDougald
04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/04/02/1082412?sac=Home

wsb3
04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/04/02/1082412?sac=Home

Agreed. Interesting article. That 91 Championship will always be the most special to me. The first. Beating Vegas who was undefeated. Having enough left to beat Kansas that historic Monday Night. I was 35 and I had watched us reach several Final Fours without closing the deal. After going out to celebrate I came home and in the wee hours of the morning I watched it again on VCR, just me and my trusty dog Pete. It was awesome.

CLW
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
ESPN has a video about the Duke UNLV rematch from 1991:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29480/video-remembering-1991-duke-unlv

dukestheheat
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
.....the whole family (virtually everyone) was at the beach house at Cherry Grove Beach, SC, watching that rematch game; the game was going late and it was close, and just as Hurley releases his late-game 3 pointer my (prankster) father-in-law PULLS THE PLUG on the power to the entire beach house! 30 people looking at the TV screen; one guy in the back of the house on the electric box.

We were all stunned. One second we're waiting to see IF that shot goes in.....and then the whole house goes black. All of a sudden you hear his crazed, maniacal laughter from the back of the house, and we all realize he's pulled the plug. There ensued a mad dash to actually KILL my father-in-law and turn the power back on.

Needless to say there was great glee when we won but that shot/that game is forever entwined with Power-Gate, as we call it.

dth.

1 24 90
04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
.....the whole family (virtually everyone) was at the beach house at cherry grove beach, sc, watching that rematch game; the game was going late and it was close, and just as hurley releases his late-game 3 pointer my (prankster) father-in-law pulls the plug on the power to the entire beach house! 30 people looking at the tv screen; one guy in the back of the house on the electric box.

We were all stunned. One second we're waiting to see if that shot goes in.....and then the whole house goes black. All of a sudden you hear his crazed, maniacal laughter from the back of the house, and we all realize he's pulled the plug. There ensued a mad dash to actually kill my father-in-law and turn the power back on.

Needless to say there was great glee when we won but that shot/that game is forever entwined with power-gate, as we call it.

Dth.

inexcusable!!!

jdj4duke
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
This is still my favorite Duke game; there were some that caused more anxiety (the Laettner Game), some that just made me puff all up about Duke (multiple UNC victories including the immortal 82-50), but the 1991 UNLV game is THE favorite. We weren't supposed to win, we were pretty young, and it seemed like K could not get the FF monkey off his back.

One of the most memorable images, or series of images, is during Laettner's last two free throws, when everyone behind the benches, security cops, fans, pretty much everybody, was smiling and clapping for Duke. It was great. I think I remember more specific plays and moments from that game than from any other.

SilkyJ
04-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Nice little piece on ESPN about the '91 FF game. I didn't realize Greg Anthony showed up to a presser wearing a Duke hat and being so obnoxious. Shocking to everyone here, I'm sure :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6289576&categoryid=2378529

Lauderdevil
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
That was back in the era when the one thing that seemed assured was "Duke love" -- the whole country loved us then, and would love us always because we did things right.

Whatever happened to that? And will lovable Butler be some day fighting off "Butler hate" if they commit the offense of multi-year consistent quality and ethics?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
.....the whole family (virtually everyone) was at the beach house at Cherry Grove Beach, SC, watching that rematch game; the game was going late and it was close, and just as Hurley releases his late-game 3 pointer my (prankster) father-in-law PULLS THE PLUG on the power to the entire beach house! 30 people looking at the TV screen; one guy in the back of the house on the electric box.

We were all stunned. One second we're waiting to see IF that shot goes in.....and then the whole house goes black. All of a sudden you hear his crazed, maniacal laughter from the back of the house, and we all realize he's pulled the plug. There ensued a mad dash to actually KILL my father-in-law and turn the power back on.

Needless to say there was great glee when we won but that shot/that game is forever entwined with Power-Gate, as we call it.

dth.
Around my house he would be known as my late father-in-law after pulling a stunt like that.